PDA

View Full Version : Terrence Ross?

Pages : [1] 2

jobin
12-29-2009, 11:39 PM
Rumor has it that this kid was sitting behind the Duke bench tonight against Long Beach. Currently committed to Maryland, but he is teammates with Hairston at Montrose. Could it be that Josh is recruiting this kid to be a Blue Devil next year? The Terps would have a meltdown if true.

Duvall
12-29-2009, 11:41 PM
The Terps would have a meltdown if true.

Nah, I bet they'd be cool with it. They're pretty level-headed over there.

-bdbd
12-29-2009, 11:44 PM
Nah, I bet they'd be cool with it. They're pretty level-headed over there.

"Riot in College Park," details at 11....

(They'll use ANY excuse to riot over there!) ;)

roywhite
12-29-2009, 11:46 PM
Rumor has it that this kid was sitting behind the Duke bench tonight against Long Beach. Currently committed to Maryland, but he is teammates with Hairston at Montrose. Could it be that Josh is recruiting this kid to be a Blue Devil next year? The Terps would have a meltdown if true.

Ross is listed as 6'5" and considered a good shooter/scorer in the class of 2010.

There has been some talk (loose message board type talk) that he is looking around and may de-commit from Maryland. He didn't sign an LOI during the November signing period.

Oriole Way
12-30-2009, 12:54 AM
Clint Jackson claims that Ross de-committed from Maryland: http://twitter.com/clintjackson1

Jackson is a fairly reliable recruiting analyst/writer.

It certainly would be nice if Ross considers us. Having Josh Hairston as a teammate can't hurt, and apparently Hairston has indeed been making a case for Duke.

Has anyone heard something more definitive about the possible recruit behind the Duke bench tonight? Apparently it might have been Trey Ziegler, but I didn't even have a chance to watch the game since it wasn't televised.

ChicagoCrazy84
12-30-2009, 01:05 AM
Interesting, Ross de-comits from MD and is rumored to have been seen behind the Duke bench tonight? I've seen crazier things happen in the recruiting world!

ChicagoCrazy84
12-30-2009, 01:21 AM
Even more interesting, I read on some guy's blog that the rumor is Nike is playing a role in this. I guess Ross is originally from Oregon? I don't know exactly, but he has a connection to Nike and MD snubbed Nike a few years ago and went with Adidas. Academics was also brought up, but with nothing substantial to suggest it. It could very well be just a Terps fan or someone with some biasness trying to make it deeper than it really is.

BlueintheFace
12-30-2009, 01:47 AM
The first rule of fight club...

FireOgilvie
12-30-2009, 07:30 AM
Even more interesting, I read on some guy's blog that the rumor is Nike is playing a role in this. I guess Ross is originally from Oregon? I don't know exactly, but he has a connection to Nike and MD snubbed Nike a few years ago and went with Adidas. Academics was also brought up, but with nothing substantial to suggest it. It could very well be just a Terps fan or someone with some biasness trying to make it deeper than it really is.

Maryland has been with Under Armour for awhile now because the company was started by a MD alum.

I seem to remember there being some discussion about recruit(s) getting a special tour of the company on a recruiting trip, which was probably some kind of violation.

airowe
12-30-2009, 07:37 AM
http://www.testudotimes.com/2009/12/30/1224953/terrence-ross-decommits

vango
12-30-2009, 09:20 AM
There is no doubt as to what we are looking for....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTqpwXliYgk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H91GZazaF0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcWUBPEQVho

ChicagoCrazy84
12-30-2009, 09:40 AM
My Lord the kid can dunk.

G man
12-30-2009, 09:51 AM
I can't say that I feel bad more maryland, but I am sure everyone on this board can relate. This in ways is worse than Barnes because Terrence gave a verbal. Wait a minute it's Maryland hope he decides to sign with us!

Huh?
12-30-2009, 10:54 AM
Looks like we are going from alarmingly unathletic to alarmingly athletic.

quickgtp
12-30-2009, 11:14 AM
Perhaps we are going to unalarmingly alarmingly athletic?

Yes, UA was founded by Kevin Plank who played football @ UMD. The Terps will be with UA for a very, very long time.

stillcrazie
12-30-2009, 11:19 AM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/terrapins-insider/2009/12/ross_no_longer_committed_to_ma.html

rotogod00
12-30-2009, 11:27 AM
Current rankings for those curious:
ESPN - 39
Rivals - 43
Scout - 93

And here's a December ESPN scouting report:
This athletic wing has great size and a big time shooting stroke. Ross can knock down threes off the catch and from a one or two rhythm dribble. He is shot ready on the catch and releases the ball with great elevation and follow through. Ross shoots over smaller defenders and late closers with ease. He runs the floor on the break for spot up and penetration kick outs where he is capable of making two or three in a row in a very short period of time. Ross has NBA range and his confidence is sky high. Defensively Ross was alert in the passing lanes and really worked to defend the dribble by moving his feet and keeping his hands active. Ross must work to develop his scoring moves off the dribble and make going to the boards a habit but what an offensive weapon. Maryland coach Gary Williams will have fun coaching this kid."

Well, guess they got to amend that last sentence, huh

stillcrazie
12-30-2009, 11:38 AM
Terrence Ross: All the maryland fans calm down, UMD is still in m top 5 ill make decision in th spring.

Sounds like we need to wait this one out.

KShip21
12-30-2009, 11:45 AM

Please tell me, everyone who read this article read the comments at the bottom. Especially the one about how desperate Coach K is to have to recruit kids who have verballed, and how a recruit like this will not help us get closed to a championship. They obviously have no idea about our incoming classes. The class of Maryland fans never ceases to amaze me!

mickeysgotagun
12-30-2009, 11:54 AM
Please tell me, everyone who read this article read the comments at the bottom. Especially the one about how desperate Coach K is to have to recruit kids who have verballed, and how a recruit like this will not help us get closed to a championship. They obviously have no idea about our incoming classes. The class of Maryland fans never ceases to amaze me!

While I agree that our incoming class is much better, there still are some things that bother me. Did Coach K actively recruit Terrence Ross? It seems kinda dirty to do that. How exactly was the decision made?

El_Diablo
12-30-2009, 12:04 PM

The article itself is partially to blame for that. It urges caution because "it's hard to point a finger when we don't know all the facts," but then blasts Coach K for stooping to Calipari's level for actively recruiting a committed player, which is completely unsubstantiated.

roywhite
12-30-2009, 12:07 PM
While I agree that our incoming class is much better, there still are some things that bother me. Did Coach K actively recruit Terrence Ross? It seems kinda dirty to do that. How exactly was the decision made?

I don't think we know for sure what the timeline is here. It appears that Ross has de-commited from Maryland and is considering other schools, including Duke. Coach K is normally very scrupulous and ethical in his recruiting contacts, plus he has a lot of respect for Gary Williams at Maryland. Ross did not sign a LOI in the November signing period, and sources have said that he has withdrawn his verbal commitment to Maryland. Young people change their minds on such matters.

Things appear to be above board here, but Terps fans may feel differently.

Duvall
12-30-2009, 12:07 PM
They obviously have no idea about our incoming classes.

As of today, we only have one incoming class.

Hermy-own
12-30-2009, 12:10 PM
I agree - if Coach K did recruit him while he was committed to MD, that is below board. I don't think K would do something like that though, he knows how to do things the right way (i.e. Austin Rivers).

I feel sorry for Maryland. Gary Williams is a good coach who deserves good recruits. Also, the ACC is going through some down years and I look forward to the conference returning to dominant form. I would rather see Terrence go to an ACC school instead of out of conference.

If he ends up with us, well, then everything worked out fine.

El_Diablo
12-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Terrence Ross: UMD FANS IT IS NOT FOR CERTAIN THAT I AM GOING TO DUKE. CHILL OUT!!

Ehhhh....it appears the Maryland fans are showing their true colors.

Oriole Way
12-30-2009, 12:26 PM
I agree - if Coach K did recruit him while he was committed to MD, that is below board. I don't think K would do something like that though, he knows how to do things the right way (i.e. Austin Rivers).

I feel sorry for Maryland. Gary Williams is a good coach who deserves good recruits. Also, the ACC is going through some down years and I look forward to the conference returning to dominant form. I would rather see Terrence go to an ACC school instead of out of conference.

If he ends up with us, well, then everything worked out fine.

I could be wrong, but I really doubt that Coach K would have been initiating any contact with Ross while he was verbally committed to Maryland. However, I have no doubt that Josh Hairston has been encouraging Ross to consider joining him at Duke ever since Hairston joined Montrose Christian's program. I think there's certainly nothing wrong with that.

I don't think it's any different than deciding on a college and informing family and friends before enrolling, then having a change of heart when a friend convinces you to join him at a far superior college.

El_Diablo
12-30-2009, 12:41 PM
I could be wrong, but I really doubt that Coach K would have been initiating any contact with Ross while he was verbally committed to Maryland. However, I have no doubt that Josh Hairston has been encouraging Ross to consider joining him at Duke ever since Hairston joined Montrose Christian's program. I think there's certainly nothing wrong with that.

I don't think it's any different than deciding on a college and informing family and friends before enrolling, then having a change of heart when a friend convinces you to join him at a far superior college.

I agree--the fact that he didn't sign an LOI (despite the verbal last April) says a lot. He obviously was not sold on Maryland.

I think it's pretty natural for a high school basketball player to have an interest in playing for Duke, especially when we have a need for the player, and another teammate (Hairston) is already a committed Blue Devil who is probably talking about how much he loves Duke. The inconsistent theories (is Nike telling Ross where to play...or has Coach K secretly been recruiting him for months without reporting it to the NCAA?) are MUCH less plausible in my book.

Daniel tosh
12-30-2009, 12:43 PM
Does anyone know for sure if he was at the game last night or is that just a rumor?

Icarus09
12-30-2009, 01:00 PM

It's important to keep in mind that this person who wrote the initial article is obviously writing from a pro-Maryland lens. Given the rather paltry amount of information right now, he is simply speculating like everybody else. While it is possible that Coach K recruited the committed Ross, it is also possible that his teammate's commitment to Duke is what piqued Ross' interest in the Devils.

RaineyDevil
12-30-2009, 01:07 PM

I agree. Without signing a LOI, I think its fair game for any coach to actively pursue a player. Now a days, someones word doesn't really mean much without their signature...even then it is not set in stone.

oldnavy
12-30-2009, 01:13 PM

I do not think that you can make the assumption that because the kid says he is considering Duke that K or any of the staff "recruited" him. In fact, I would be willing to bet the farm, that K and the staff have not had any contact with him. My guess is that this kid is getting an earful from Hairston and he is thinking about it. Would it surprise anyone if he is just doing this to get attention??

What bothered me about the comments the reporter made, were that he automatically assumed that K had undercut Williams and actively recruited the kid. And worse, he had a thinly veiled threat that something awful would happen if TR came to Duke on his trip to the Comcast center...

Just when I think the UM crowd cannot sink any lower... they do.

airowe
12-30-2009, 01:25 PM
Did Coach K actively recruit Terrence Ross?

Quite the opposite, actually.

DevilHorns
12-30-2009, 01:30 PM

If I had to make a bet, I would agree with you. But, the fact is none of us know (at this point) why Ross chose to decommit from MD and how he became interested in perhaps joining Duke.

Its hard to say if UMD fans are overreacting, IMO. They should be smarter about it, and not bashing the kid who I bet is internet savvy enough to read what people think of him. They are still a favorite, if not the favorite.

Greg_Newton
12-30-2009, 02:16 PM
Ehhhh....it appears the Maryland fans are showing their true colors.

LOL@ Maryland fans ruining any chance they may have still had with him. Not that he was likely to re-commit anyway, but there's no way he goes back after feeling the wrath of their little hate-filled hearts...

Huh?
12-30-2009, 02:59 PM
As of today, we only have one incoming class.

Was that post necessary?

Duvall
12-30-2009, 03:05 PM
Was that post necessary?

Well, we don't actually have any commitments from classes beyond 2010. So referring to future recruits beyond next year is probably a mistake.

Tim1515
12-30-2009, 03:19 PM
LOL@ Maryland fans ruining any chance they may have still had with him. Not that he was likely to re-commit anyway, but there's no way he goes back after feeling the wrath of their little hate-filled hearts...

I do feel bad for these kids in a situation like this...a high school basketball player shouldn't be getting ripped on by college basketball fans. At the same time...it would be ignorant to think Irving wouldn't get a similar response from Duke fans.

roywhite
12-30-2009, 04:02 PM
I do feel bad for these kids in a situation like this...a high school basketball player shouldn't be getting ripped on by college basketball fans. At the same time...it would be ignorant to think Irving wouldn't get a similar response from Duke fans.

Do you mean Barnes?

If so, I don't think Barnes got ripped or got a hostile direct response from Duke fans to him after he committed to UNC.

So, if I understand your point, no, I don't see it as similar.

Tim1515
12-30-2009, 04:16 PM
Do you mean Barnes?

If so, I don't think Barnes got ripped or got a hostile direct response from Duke fans to him after he committed to UNC.

I do not mean Barnes...Harrison never committed to Duke.

SeattleIrish
12-30-2009, 04:16 PM
Here's an interesting article from that same web site, testudo times, 13 days earlier:

http://www.testudotimes.com/2009/12/16/1203737/re-terrence-ross

One of the quotes:

If it were Ross who was really having second thoughts--why not just open it back up and still consider Maryland. He didn't rescind his verbal--and has repeatedly said that he remains committed. In fact he doesn't even want to talk about it--that doesn't sound like a kid who is having second thoughts at this point in time to me.

It's a bit hard to say, on one hand, that he should open it back up if he's having doubts, and then rip on him when he does so.

s.i.

p.s. - for those interested in the rankings. Telep said, after seeing him play a game, "It's clear we have him rated about 60 spots too low!".

Channing
12-30-2009, 04:19 PM
Do you mean Barnes?

I think the point was if Kyrie Irving decommitted he would get the same treatment T. Ross is getting for decommitting from UMD. It is different in that K.I signed an LOI, but the point is a kid who the fans thought was committed is no longer committed.

dukefan704
12-30-2009, 04:25 PM
This kid is serious NBA talent. He's lower ranked than some other prospects but when you watch his play he is athletic, quick, and just downright good.

Coach K might get a false rep about recruiting players who have committed to schools already. With Austin Rivers and now Terrence Ross, teams from other fanbases might begin to see Coach K as dirty. I don't know if he was actively recruiting him while he was committed. And who knows, he could end up anywhere, even back at Maryland. But other teams will look at what Coach K has done and not like it.

Duke of Nashville
12-30-2009, 04:32 PM
Regardless of however this situation plays out, I love the Montrose connection we have going right now with Joshua.

Other than Ross, Justin Anderson, a prospect for 2012, is also considering Duke.

Justin was compared to Smith from the Atlanta Hawks.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=67259&season=2012&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d672 59%26season%3d2012

roywhite
12-30-2009, 04:47 PM
I think the point was if Kyrie Irving decommitted he would get the same treatment T. Ross is getting for decommitting from UMD. It is different in that K.I signed an LOI, but the point is a kid who the fans thought was committed is no longer committed.

Yeah, that makes a little more sense. I'm afraid I'll still disagree with the OP's point that Duke fans would react similarly to U-MD fans.

Tim1515
12-30-2009, 05:29 PM
Yeah, that makes a little more sense. I'm afraid I'll still disagree with the OP's point that Duke fans would react similarly to U-MD fans.

I hope you're right but hanging around different Duke message boards i have come across a lot of desperate fans in the recruiting world and fans that rip current players (LT, Z, Paulus...etc) and that has been extremely disappointing. It isn't the same thing but unfortunately there would be some who would give Duke a bad name.

CameronBornAndBred
12-30-2009, 05:49 PM
No offense, but I hate posts like this. If you are going to make an assertive statement, please explain it so that those of us who don't have a clue can understand where you are coming from. So did K and staff decide not to go after him at all? If so, why are we so high on his list, and why aren't we saying "thanks for your interest, but no thanks"?

airowe
12-30-2009, 05:52 PM
This kid is serious NBA talent. He's lower ranked than some other prospects but when you watch his play he is athletic, quick, and just downright good.

Coach K might get a false rep about recruiting players who have committed to schools already. With Austin Rivers and now Terrence Ross, teams from other fanbases might begin to see Coach K as dirty. I don't know if he was actively recruiting him while he was committed. And who knows, he could end up anywhere, even back at Maryland. But other teams will look at what Coach K has done and not like it.

I was told something once that applies to this situation.

A verbal commitment is not worth the paper it's written on.

There have been rumors of Ross decommitting almost since he committed. This is not a big surprise. Terrence reached out to other schools after his decision and Duke is lucky to be one of them. This kid is talented.

airowe
12-30-2009, 05:55 PM
No offense, but I hate posts like this. If you are going to make an assertive statement, please explain it so that those of us who don't have a clue can understand where you are coming from. So did K and staff decide not to go after him at all? If so, why are we so high on his list, and why aren't we saying "thanks for your interest, but no thanks"?

Sorry if I offended you, just wanted to squash the rumor that the staff did anything improper here.

Bluedevil114
12-30-2009, 09:25 PM
Well if Ross is watching MD tonight he may commit to Duke after the game. Terps have been outplayed by William & Mary all night. Terps cant defend the 3 point line. I love when the Terps lose hence my signature. I go to every game that Duke plays at Maryland and I am usually one of a dozen happy people leaving the builiding. One of my favorite games was when Duke was down by 10 with one minute remaining. I love beating the Terps!!

jv001
12-30-2009, 09:33 PM
I love when the Terps lose hence my signature. One of my favorite games was when Duke was down by 10 with one minute remaining. I love beating the Terps!!

In that I love to beat the twerps. And I think you're referring to the 2001 game and we were down 10 with 54 seconds left. Jason came alive after playing badly for 3/4 of the game. 2001 was a great year. Go Duke!

Bluedevil114
12-30-2009, 09:36 PM
In that I love to beat the twerps. And I think you're referring to the 2001 game and we were down 10 with 54 seconds left. Jason came alive after playing badly for 3/4 of the game. 2001 was a great year. Go Duke!

Yes and that was the second of two big comebacks versus the Terps that year. Battier was huge in the Overtime of that game. Obviously the other comeback was in the Final Four. What a great year that was....Hopefully we will have our Fourth Championship real soon.

airowe
12-30-2009, 11:09 PM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/terrapins-insider/2009/12/more_on_terrence_ross.html

diveonthefloor
12-30-2009, 11:30 PM
Interesting article from the WP.
Thanks for finding it.

If the kid can handle the coursework at Duke, he would seem like a perfect fit.

I actually feel a little sorry for Gary Williams if Ross bolts. On the other hand, it's hard to feel sorry for the battery-throwing houligans in College Park. Especially upon reading their comments on the Terps message boards. Gosh I hope Duke fans never become that rude and mean-spirited.

Does anyone know how close Ross and Hairston actually are?

ice-9
12-31-2009, 01:08 AM
Sorry if I offended you, just wanted to squash the rumor that the staff did anything improper here.

Hmmm...I appreciate the intent, but I can see where CameronBornandBred is coming from.

Because if I get into an argument with my UNC co-worker about Coach K and improper recruiting via Terrence Ross, what am I supposed to say? Let me squash that rumor for you because airowe from DBR said so?

Know what I mean?

Jim3k
12-31-2009, 02:14 AM
Hmmm...I appreciate the intent, but I can see where CameronBornandBred is coming from.

Because if I get into an argument with my UNC co-worker about Coach K and improper recruiting via Terrence Ross, what am I supposed to say? Let me squash that rumor for you because airowe from DBR said so?

Know what I mean?

I know what you mean. But there is no evidence that Coach K or anyone from the staff ever initiated contact with Ross.

However, Ross didn't sign an LOI, and is technically fair game. He is also a HS teammate of Duke commit Josh Hairston. Ask your co-worker, in response, whether it is more likely that K has contacted Ross or whether a teammate he talks to every day has urged him to reconsider his oral commitment. I think the answer is obvious.

Furthermore, Ross has said that his mother contacted Gary W to revoke the oral commitment before any steps were taken to contact other schools. And is he aware that Coach K never contacted Liberty before Curry announced his transfer? That when Rivers contacted him, he spoke with Donovan before proceeding? That K's MO always involves asking the other coach first? That K's reputation with other coaches is always on the line? You don't become president of the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) or a member of the NCAA Basketball Issues Committee by poaching other coaches' players. He's been squeaky clean for 34 years as a head coach.

Why would he suddenly change? The answer is that he would not and has not. And your co-worker intuitively knows that.

oldnavy
12-31-2009, 07:24 AM

Exactly what has he done?? If a player of the talent level of Rivers, or Ross decides that they want to reopen their recruitment K would be crazy not to jump in. It sounds like you are making the assumption that K did something underhanded.

I have total faith in K's honor and will not believe that he did anything underhanded or questionable. Your enemies are going to think what they want to think, and say what they want to say, but you cannot go through life making your decisions based on what you think your foes are going to say or think about it.

airowe
12-31-2009, 07:45 AM

Know what I mean?

Well, if I'm your only argument than you'll probably get laughed at. There are many other resources out there on the interwebs for you to find your proof, including the place where I got mine.

All you really need to do to win that argument is to ask if Roy ever got involved with CJ Leslie after he decommitted from NC State or if he remembered when Roy offered a scholarship to Demar Derozan while he was still committed to USC.

Dr. Rosenrosen
12-31-2009, 09:12 AM
Well, if I'm your only argument than you'll probably get laughed at. There are many other resources out there on the interwebs for you to find your proof, including the place where I got mine.

All you really need to do to win that argument is to ask if Roy ever got involved with CJ Leslie after he decommitted from NC State or if he remembered when Roy offered a scholarship to Demar Derozan while he was still committed to USC.

airowe, you seem knowledgable but you make such simple yet assertive statements that one might think you have special information that others don't. Opinions should always be welcomed but your choice of words gives the impression of something more. Truly, if your sources are the same as everyone else's, then you cannot possibly be in a position to make statements with the seeming authority that you do. I think that is the rub and what is dismaying to so many here... unless I am missing something.

JasonEvans
12-31-2009, 10:00 AM
This kinda thing happens all the time.

Kid commits to a school... a good school, but not quite a top tier one. Then, as he begins to play his senior season, it is clear to everyone that he has improved a lot and he suddenly realizes that those top tier schools would be interested in him if he was not going to 2nd tier school. So, if he has not signed his LOI, he reopens his recruitment and the big boys step in.

This is not a kid going from Maryland to Marquette. This is a kid now considering Duke, Kentucky, and Kansas. He was not on the stud school's radar a few months ago but he is now and, just like all the top players in the land, he'd be crazy not to think about what life would be like at one of the elite schools in the sport.

Sorry Maryland, that is just how it is sometimes.

-Jason "same thing has happened to Duke in football a few times" Evans

yancem
12-31-2009, 10:08 AM

You could also bring up the name of Ronald Curry. He was committed to UVA before unc decided to "poach" him.

Let's just hope that if Ross does come to Duke, he has a better career than Curry.

Tim1515
12-31-2009, 10:44 AM
I have a feeling Duke will have more competition from Kentucky for Ross' services then Maryland...just a hunch.

Kewlswim
12-31-2009, 12:42 PM
I have a feeling Duke will have more competition from Kentucky for Ross' services then Maryland...just a hunch.

Hi,

You might be right. Then again, if Coach Cal doesn't win it all this year and/or he stirs some sort of NCAA ire where he has to leave then...well perhaps Coach Cal might not be in Kentucky too long and that will be the word on the street. Then a lot of players won't want anything to do with the Wildcats. I am not convinced Coach Cal will be at Kentucky for very long unless he wins it all this year because Wall and others are most likely one and done.

Watch, after I wrote this Coach Cal stays at Kentucky as long as Adolph Rupp. All this being written, Ross might then have to transfer to Duke for his services.

Go Duke!!

Tim1515
12-31-2009, 12:50 PM
Hi,

You might be right. Then again, if Coach Cal doesn't win it all this year and/or he stirs some sort of NCAA ire where he has to leave then...well perhaps Coach Cal might not be in Kentucky too long and that will be the word on the street. Then a lot of players won't want anything to do with the Wildcats. I am not convinced Coach Cal will be at Kentucky for very long unless he wins it all this year because Wall and others are most likely one and done.

Watch, after I wrote this Coach Cal stays at Kentucky as long as Adolph Rupp. All this being written, Ross might then have to transfer to Duke for his services.

Go Duke!!

I think it is a little wishful thinking to have Cal out after this year. I personally find it almost impossible that UK wins it all this year. Wall has been lights out to end close games...too lights out...even the greats miss big shots...Jordan, Kobe, LeBron...too many people are assuming Wall is bullet proof right now. His high school team was 3rd behind Kelly and Mason's in NC! He will miss shots. That being said...Cal will be around.

I would think PP, Wall and Cousins are gone...they won't be as good next year but he'll sell Ross hard on having two one and done 1st round picks.

jipops
12-31-2009, 02:15 PM
Hi,

Go Duke!!

Where else would he go? He's already tried the NBA thing with the Nets. He's making serious coin at a storied program that will continue to get great recruits. UK is where he is staying until/unless another NCAA violation arises.

diveonthefloor
12-31-2009, 02:42 PM
UK is where he is staying until/unless another NCAA violation arises.

Uh, I think you can edit out the "unless."

UK has a lot more enemies than Memphis or UMass did....Cal will get turned in for violations a lot earlier in his tenure than he did at thuse other programs.

Like a time bomb waiting to explode....

Cockabeau
12-31-2009, 03:41 PM
Landing Ross would be a revelation.

this kid has serious talent,folks.

DevilHorns
12-31-2009, 04:19 PM
Anyone see this kid play live?

Check out this insane dunk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcWUBPEQVho

dukefan704
12-31-2009, 05:14 PM
Uh, I think you can edit out the "unless."

UK has a lot more enemies than Memphis or UMass did....Cal will get turned in for violations a lot earlier in his tenure than he did at thuse other programs.

Like a time bomb waiting to explode....

Like a time bomb waiting to explode is exactly right. When he's on a bigger stage, the violations will arise quicker. He's managed to stay out of direct contact from scandals. But like they say, third time's a charm...

I think that we are probably the frontrunners for Terrence Ross, but you never know. There are a lot of high-powered programs ready to go after him (duke, kansas, kentucky, maryland) and they all have a shot at getting his services. He looks like a solid NBA caliber player

Marty10
01-02-2010, 08:32 PM
this is from Alan Stein's facebook page. He is the conditioning coach at Montrose.

"Montrose superstar Terrence Ross has re-opened his recruitment. Maryland is still very much in the mix along with Duke, Kentucky, & Kansas."

not much news, but its another source, i can't wait to see where he will go.

jimsumner
01-02-2010, 08:35 PM
I believe he's just keeping the Terps on the list for the sake of propriety. He also says he hopes to play on the East Coast.

Draw your own conclusions.

But it may take awhile. He might not be able to visit until April or so.

Cockabeau
01-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Terrence Ross to Duke.

Just a gut feeling here....nm.

Bluedevil114
01-03-2010, 09:40 AM
Terrence Ross to Duke.

Just a gut feeling here....nm.

Looks like Gary Williams is prepared to lose him as he has already replaced him with a sweet shooter Pe'Shon Howard from Oak Hill Academy. Howard can stroke the ball and has a body like Demarcus Nelson. Good get for the Terps.

DevilHorns
01-03-2010, 05:01 PM
does anyone know if he's been officially offered a scholarship?
any GPA/SAT issues?

CPDUKEGUY24
01-03-2010, 10:34 PM
does anyone know if he's been officially offered a scholarship?
any GPA/SAT issues?

According to scouts.com an offer has been extended...

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=9&cfg=bb&c=4&yr=2010

**First post by the way, but I've been visiting the boards for a lil while now and picked a thing or two up from previous recruiting threads.

Which to be honest, I dont know how many more I can take after some of the more recent episodes :D:confused:

Anyways, Great Site and love the chatter...

LETS GO DUKE!

ChicagoCrazy84
01-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Reel him in Josh!!

ChicagoCrazy84
01-03-2010, 10:41 PM
They did say that Terrence wants to play on the East Coast, so I am hoping that plays a part in his decision and keeps him away from UK.

Duvall
01-03-2010, 10:47 PM
They did say that Terrence wants to play on the East Coast, so I am hoping that plays a part in his decision and keeps him away from UK.

Ross is from Oregon. I bet he thinks of Durham, Lexington and College Park as all being part of the "East Coast."

juise
01-03-2010, 11:31 PM
Ross is from Oregon. I bet he thinks of Durham, Lexington and College Park as all being part of the "East Coast."

Yep, we really struggle with geography out here in the West. ;)

To be fair, when I matriculated at Duke, fellow freshmen would ask me where Oregon was (in relation other states) on the West Coast. My goodness, there are only 3 states!

Back to Terrence, I think it's funny that Terrence Ross and Terrence Jones, two top-30 wing recruits both played on the same team in Portland last year. The latter dropped 38 points in his last game. I think Duke would be fortunate to land either, though I know we're not recruiting Jones.

PhillyDuke
01-04-2010, 07:14 AM
(content redacted for being destructively negative)

(poster commented that he wanted to see us also recruit Quincy Miller)

Duvall
01-04-2010, 07:40 AM

Er, no.

With Smith, Irving, Curry, Dawkins and Thornton Duke will be loaded with small guards, and with Plumlee, Plumlee, Kelly and Hairston Duke should be set in the frontcourt. Duke needs wing players, and at 6-6 Ross may be better suited to play that role than anyone on the Duke roster.

Duke may need Quincy Miller because Miller is expected to be a great player. But Duke should be well stocked with power forwards for the next few years.

rotogod00
01-04-2010, 08:55 AM

ross is 6-6 and more of a wing than a true guard.

but i do agree with you that mr. miller would be a mighty fine addition to our frontcourt.

Kedsy
01-04-2010, 11:04 AM

I'm pretty sure Ross is in the 2010 class and Miller in the 2011 class. They are by no means mutually exclusive.

CLT Devil
01-04-2010, 04:30 PM
From everything I have read on various sites Ross seems like a great kid, and apparently his relationship had deteriorated with GW. I think this would go a long way in explaining why he went about the de-commitment the way he did; his mother emailed Gary to let him know. Normally this would raise some eyebrows, but apparently this has more to do with their relationship than what kind of person Ross is.

Otherwise, as long as the recruits come to us, and furthermore have the blessing of the other coach, I don't see how one could reasonably conclude that K is out there 'stealing' other schools' commits.

This would be a huge get for us...perhaps that one missing peice to a team loaded with talent at every position.

Ohiobobcat204
01-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Man I hope we get this guy, I think he could be the icing on the cake. Something to realy put us over

G man
01-04-2010, 08:54 PM
I don't agree with his views of K but some interesting theories

Two sections kind of long

http://www.testudotimes.com/2009/12/31/1228931/expanding-on-terrence-ross-pt-i

http://www.testudotimes.com/2010/1/1/1228961/expanding

Tappan Zee Devil
01-04-2010, 09:30 PM

Part 2 takes you to an error message saying the page doesn't exist - and it must be the part that discuses K

G man
01-04-2010, 09:39 PM
Part 2 takes you to an error message saying the page doesn't exist - and it must be the part that discuses K

my bad here ya go

http://www.testudotimes.com/2010/1/1/1228961/expanding-on-terrence-ross-pt-ii

DukeSean
01-05-2010, 12:54 AM

Thanks for the link, interesting read. Like you, I don't necessarily agree with the author's view of K's involvement, and it seems odd that he would single out K without really opening up the angle on Cal's possible involvement, who is undoubtedly the shadier character.

Reading some of the comments posted makes me love to hate UMD fans even more

Jim3k
01-05-2010, 02:22 AM
Testudo Ben needs to be enlightened about the recruitment of Miles at the very least. Miles indeed had signed an LOI with Stanford. About the same time, Mason had committed orally to Duke. When Stanford coach Trent Johnson, who had recruited Miles, left to coach LSU, he did not speak to Miles about it. In addition, the Stanford basketball office did not stay in touch. Miles became frustrated as Stanford searched for a coach. Dawkins was a reluctant candidate. He may not even have been Stanford's first choice. Once the offer was made, he took some time to consider it.

While all that was happening, Miles was getting antsy. It was he or his family who contacted Duke to see if there was any interest. He now wanted to play with his brother. They took the initiative, not Coach K. In fact, Dawkins had not been involved in Mason's recruitment and they did not know each other. Duke's basketball office simply advised Miles' parents to tell Stanford he wanted out before they would proceed further.

Nearly simultaneous with that, Dawkins accepted the Stanford job, learned of Miles' determination and decided that if Miles didn't want to play at Stanford, he would grant him a release from his LOI. I am pretty sure that Dawkins spoke to Coach K about the issue and he was fine with it.

There is no suggestion that Coach K did anything improper here, yet Ben at Testudo is, by innuendo, suggesting that he did.

As for Rivers, by all the accounts that I have read, it was his Dad, Doc, who was behind the suggestion that Austin look at other schools. As with Ross, Rivers has not signed an LOI. Technically, any coach is free to talk to him. Even so, the initial contact was made by the Rivers family, not Coach K. I also understand that Coach K told them to talk to Coach Donovan about their decision before he would get involved and that the two coaches later spoke. There would not appear to be any evidence that tampering occurred here, either.

As with Miles, Testudo Ben is again trying by innuendo to suggest Coach K has interfered. He became involved due to a family invitation.

Indeed, Ben is suggesting that Duke has changed the way it recruits -- from being straight to being crooked.

Someone needs to call out Testudo's Ben.

Since I would get dirty signing up with that blog, I'll leave it to folks with fewer reservations than I. Go to it, guys.

MisterRoddy
01-05-2010, 02:58 AM
Er, no.

With Smith, Irving, Curry, Dawkins and Thornton Duke will be loaded with small guards, and with Plumlee, Plumlee, Kelly and Hairston Duke should be set in the frontcourt. Duke needs wing players, and at 6-6 Ross may be better suited to play that role than anyone on the Duke roster.

Duke may need Quincy Miller because Miller is expected to be a great player. But Duke should be well stocked with power forwards for the next few years.

Are you kidding me?? Quincy Miller is a bonafide top 10 talent that any team, including us would be lucky to have. I just don't see how you can name 4 front court players, one that has yet to show us anything (Ryan Kelly), one that hasn't even stepped on campus yet (Josh Hairston) and one that would be a senior by the time Quincy Miller would even arrive to Duke (Miles Plumlee) and say that we won't need Quincy Miller.
It has been talked about him possibly playing both the 3 and 4 at the collegiate level and, should he come to Duke, he would get good mintues playing both 3, 4 and maybe even some 5.
When you are a top 10 talent, a good team will find ways to get that player on the floor.

jimrowe0
01-05-2010, 07:43 AM
http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2010/01/terps-land-howard-ross-moving-on/

According to this source, Duke has the inside track on Ross. With Howard going to Maryland, I would assume that to be true.

flyingdutchdevil
01-05-2010, 07:57 AM
When you are a top 10 talent, a good team will find ways to get that player on the floor.

Except for John Henson ;)

oldnavy
01-05-2010, 08:07 AM
I've got a question. With all the NCAA rules against improper contact and the such by "agents or representatives" of a university, how does that apply to high school players who have signed with a school. For example, player X has signed with Duke, so would he be considered an "agent or representative" of the school?

I mean, if as a fan and a poster to a Duke message board, I cannot make contact with a recruit, how is it that the NCAA will allow open recruitment by a signee?

I am sure it must be OK since it is done all the time and in a very public way, it just seems illogical to me. Anyone know the official NCAA position on this?

I apologize if this has been explained elsewhere, if so please just direct me to the thread. Thanks.

BD80
01-05-2010, 09:34 AM

Except for John Henson ;)

Easy now. Henson is actually on the court much more than the scorekeepers give him credit for. Problem is, he cannot be seen when he turns sideways, and he has trouble staying in bounds in drafty arenas.

Ross sounds like he will fit in perfectly. We need a wing that can attack the rim, and Ross would get that opportunity with Curry on the other wing stretching the defense, and the Plumlees keeping the post players from cheating to help on D. KI and Ross would go nuts on the break, and on secondary breaks.

Quincy is a whole different player, he will draw a post defender or he will dominate down low, and he can then pull his defender outside. Quincy and Ross would work very well together@@#$&. Sorry, a little bit of drool hit the keyboard.

vango
01-05-2010, 09:36 AM
Found this to be slightly amusing....

"Another major theory is that his academics aren't good enough to get into UMD, which has among the most stringent athletic standards in the country. Duke, despite being a better academic university, sets its athletic standards much lower. Kentucky and Kansas are lesser universities anyway."

Dukeface88
01-05-2010, 10:05 AM
I've got a question. With all the NCAA rules against improper contact and the such by "agents or representatives" of a university, how does that apply to high school players who have signed with a school. For example, player X has signed with Duke, so would he be considered an "agent or representative" of the school?

I mean, if as a fan and a poster to a Duke message board, I cannot make contact with a recruit, how is it that the NCAA will allow open recruitment by a signee?

I am sure it must be OK since it is done all the time and in a very public way, it just seems illogical to me. Anyone know the official NCAA position on this?

I apologize if this has been explained elsewhere, if so please just direct me to the thread. Thanks.

Many of these players, such as Hairston and Ross, play with each other on high school or AAU teams. Telling basketball players not to talk about basketball (albeit at the next level) with their teammates seems unlikely to work.

-bdbd
01-05-2010, 10:25 AM
Anybody aware of anything from TR on a timeline for a decision? I would assume it to come after his HS season is done.

BOY, would he fill a need for us very well!

I'm not sure why all the empahsis here on Terp fan message boards. Did anybody expect anything less from that crowd? This is the same crowd that knocks unconscious players' moms sitting behind the viviting bench with thrown objects. Chants simple obscenities (and wears similar tee-shirts) at opposing players. Riots and does millions of dollars of damage to their own town after big wins and big losses. And, since I was there in College Park last year I need to mention, when an opposing player gets knocked out on the court by a viscious "pick" from a MD player 100-lbs bigger than him, the crowd chants "Re-play! Re-play! Re-play" to the jumbotron operator (to his credit the replay was only shown once immediately after the play). The question I keep asking myself is, "WHAT WOULD THE REACTION HAVE BEEN IF THE ROLES WERE REVERSED AND, FOR EXAMPLE, IF T.R. HAD BEEN TALKING TO HAIRSTON AND JOSH WOUND UP REOPENING HIS RECRUITMENT, WITH MD ON THE LIST??" :confused: Anybody believe that there'd be ANY recrimination from these Terp chatboards villifying Gary Williams? Yeah, right. (Much more likely to be repeated posts admonishing Duke to do a better job hanging on to their commits...) :p

FerryFor50
01-05-2010, 10:28 AM

"Another major theory is that his academics aren't good enough to get into UMD, which has among the most stringent athletic standards in the country. Duke, despite being a better academic university, sets its athletic standards much lower. Kentucky and Kansas are lesser universities anyway."

Wow. Did they raise those standards before or after Steve Blake and Lonnie Baxter?

FerryFor50
01-05-2010, 10:30 AM
From everything I have read on various sites Ross seems like a great kid, and apparently his relationship had deteriorated with GW. I think this would go a long way in explaining why he went about the de-commitment the way he did; his mother emailed Gary to let him know. Normally this would raise some eyebrows, but apparently this has more to do with their relationship than what kind of person Ross is.

Otherwise, as long as the recruits come to us, and furthermore have the blessing of the other coach, I don't see how one could reasonably conclude that K is out there 'stealing' other schools' commits.

This would be a huge get for us...perhaps that one missing peice to a team loaded with talent at every position.

I can't imagine anyone not getting along with Gleeful Gary...

Kedsy
01-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Are you kidding me?? Quincy Miller is a bonafide top 10 talent that any team, including us would be lucky to have. I just don't see how you can name 4 front court players, one that has yet to show us anything (Ryan Kelly), one that hasn't even stepped on campus yet (Josh Hairston) and one that would be a senior by the time Quincy Miller would even arrive to Duke (Miles Plumlee) and say that we won't need Quincy Miller.

I suppose this hinges on your definition of "need." Does Duke want QM? Could the team use him in 2011? You bet. Will we sink to the middle of the pack in the ACC without him? Unlikely. Will we still be a national contender without him? Probably. We can want him and hope for him without "needing" him.

Same for HB, actually -- we wanted him but we didn't "need" him -- especially if we can reel in Mr. Ross, or Mr. Smith, etc.

LaettnerWannabe
01-05-2010, 11:34 AM
If Ross were to choose Duke, we can all imagine the treatment he will receive from Maryland fans. Does anyone recall the recruitment of Nate James? I know Nate is from Maryland and I seem to remember him being a strong Maryland lean (or giving a verbal to them) and switching to Duke at the very end. Does anyone else remember it this way?

JasonEvans
01-05-2010, 12:12 PM
If Ross were to choose Duke, we can all imagine the treatment he will receive from Maryland fans. Does anyone recall the recruitment of Nate James? I know Nate is from Maryland and I seem to remember him being a strong Maryland lean (or giving a verbal to them) and switching to Duke at the very end. Does anyone else remember it this way?

Duke and Maryland were considered the favorites to land Nate, but he never gave them a committment -- at least not that I recall. I think he may have been a Maryland lean at one point.

Of course, recruiting is much more closely followed today and the internet has put it under far more scrutiny. I don't recall Nate getting especially bad treatment (more than other players) but I can imagine that Ross would have to endure something unusual if he comes to Duke and plays at Maryland.

--Jason "I love that everyone says he is a Duke lean right now, but this won't be wrapped up for 4 or more months, I suspect" Evans

slower
01-05-2010, 12:46 PM
So, are you now DBR's version of Peter King? ;)

Edit: Not meant as a slam - would actually enjoy seeing Jason riff on coffee or something similar.

Devilsfan
01-05-2010, 12:47 PM
ouch!

JasonEvans
01-05-2010, 01:24 PM
So, are you now DBR's version of Peter King? ;)

Edit: Not meant as a slam - would actually enjoy seeing Jason riff on coffee or something similar.

I really need to change my sig ;)

Hmmmm. Gimme a day to come up with something new.

-Jason "I should probably start a blog with my movie reviews or something, but I am too damn lazy" Evans

UrinalCake
01-05-2010, 02:29 PM
I know Nate is from Maryland and I seem to remember him being a strong Maryland lean (or giving a verbal to them) and switching to Duke at the very end. Does anyone else remember it this way?

My recollection was that he had a press conference scheduled near the Maryland campus in which he was expected to announce he was going there. He canceled it at the last minute, and shortly afterwards announced he was coming to Duke. I don't know if he ever gave a verbal to UMD, but I certainly recall Maryland fans not being too happy with him. His parents were Maryland grads, yet we all recall his father was physically attacked by the students when watching us play there.

I've often thought that he would have had a great career had he gone to Maryland, and certainly gotten more playing time. Of course, things worked out pretty well for him.

diesel
01-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Nate's parents were Md grads and his father was attacked by terps "fans"?

My understanding is that Carlos Boozer's parents attended Md and I recall that his mother was hit by a bottle when we played them there.

Are you sure you're not confusing the families?

Duvall
01-05-2010, 02:49 PM

My understanding is that Carlos Boozer's parents attended Md and I recall that his mother was hit by a bottle when we played them there.

Different incidents in different games. Though I think it was James' uncle that was involved in an altercation, not his father.

MChambers
01-05-2010, 02:57 PM

Not sure "attacked" is right, but I think there was a bit of a confrontation. From what I remember, Nate's relatives were able to handle the situation just fine, as you might expect.

UrinalCake
01-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Well I found some more information right around the corner:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=37

vlove
01-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Living in DC at the time, the local expectation was def. that James was going to announce for MD. I can recall Glen Harris, former sports anchor on Newschannel 8 declaring on a Friday evening that James was set to sign for the terps the next day. When I picked up Sunday's WaPost, was pleasantly surprised to see James with a Duke hat on!

Nate was a late signee in the spring period, coming off a strong showing at the McD AA game (he may have even shared MVP or top scorer honors). Both him & Shaheen Holloway were K's last 2 targets, with the presumption that Holloway (as a pg) was the bigger priority.

diesel
01-05-2010, 04:03 PM
I had forgotten all the factors that reinforced my dislike of Md fans: I now add the James family incident to grudges about the treatment of the Boozer and Redick families.

I also knew there were factors other than the “wolves in blazers” treatment of the lacrosse case that caused me to drop coverage of the Washington Post after subscribing for 20 years. No doubt the Sally Jenkins article was submerged in my unconscious and contributed to the decision.

But I suppose we won’t have the Md fans to kick around anymore. With the promised FCC enforcement prohibiting bad language on TV, I guess we won’t be seeing any more games televised from College Park. I recall one year when I had to shoo small children out of the room to continue watching one of their games on TV.

But the Md fans still supply amusement. I was stunned to see from the Testudo Times articles the allegation that one of the factors causing Terrence Ross to back off his oral commitment might be their “high” academic standards. This from a place with a basketball team that has had one of the worst—if not the worst—graduation records in the ACC. “Fear the Classroom” indeed!

DukeSean
01-05-2010, 07:10 PM
But the Md fans still supply amusement. I was stunned to see from the Testudo Times articles the allegation that one of the factors causing Terrence Ross to back off his oral commitment might be their “high” academic standards. This from a place with a basketball team that has had one of the worst—if not the worst—graduation records in the ACC. “Fear the Classroom” indeed!

Yea I nearly fell out of my chair reading that. How do you even respond to an assertion like that? And to the earlier poster about Steve Blake and Lonny Baxter. LOL.

jimsumner
01-05-2010, 07:18 PM
" was stunned to see from the Testudo Times articles the allegation that one of the factors causing Terrence Ross to back off his oral commitment might be their “high” academic standards. This from a place with a basketball team that has had one of the worst—if not the worst—graduation records in the ACC"

Maybe the high academic standards contribute to the low graduation rates. All that required advanced physics and all.

It's just a theory. But, after all, I never went to Maryland, so it might be over my head.

chrisheery
01-05-2010, 08:28 PM

This was the part I wanted to point out. Is he actually saying that Maryland has higher academic standards than Duke? Is he also saying that Maryland is a notably better university than Kansas or Kentucky? Wow, that is news to me and, I'm sure, any Maryland graduate looking for a job.

chrisheery
01-05-2010, 08:32 PM

There is no way the treated him worse than Nate treated them when he was fouled on that tip then calmly drained 2 free throws to tie the game in the miracle minute. i loved that he was part of the scoring in that stretch. Man, I love that he is ours forever and so glad he isn't theirs.

Kedsy
01-05-2010, 08:35 PM
This was the part I wanted to point out. Is he actually saying that Maryland has higher academic standards than Duke? Is he also saying that Maryland is a notably better university than Kansas or Kentucky? Wow, that is news to me and, I'm sure, any Maryland graduate looking for a job.

Let's be fair. He never said Maryland's academic standards are higher than Duke's, but rather their admissions standards for athletes. He clearly states Duke is a better university, but says we relax our admissions standards for athletes while implying Maryland does not. Sounds crazy to me, but (a) I have no idea if it's true or not; and (b) it has nothing to do with graduation rates or going to class or failing out or anything like that.

chrisheery
01-05-2010, 08:42 PM
Let's be fair. He never said Maryland's academic standards are higher than Duke's, but rather their admissions standards for athletes. He clearly states Duke is a better university, but says we relax our admissions standards for athletes while implying Maryland does not. Sounds crazy to me, but (a) I have no idea if it's true or not; and (b) it has nothing to do with graduation rates or going to class or failing out or anything like that.

Be fair? If Maryland doesn't relax their admissions standards, then everyone at Maryland is as dumb as Steve F. Blake, who was a notable moron. How bout Steve Francis? Guy barely passed high school and probably wouldn't have gotten into JuCo on academic merit.

Paaaaalease. Also, Duke could relax their admissions standards by 70% and our basketball players would still be better students than many of their normal students (actually, I would wager that is the case now as they have >26,000 undergrads). I heard if Dockery wasn't offered by Duke, he had already gotten into Maryland on an academic scholarship.

juise
01-05-2010, 08:53 PM
(b) it has nothing to do with graduation rates or going to class or failing out or anything like that.

I will give you that the correlation is not incredibly strong, but you're saying that admission standards have nothing to do with graduation rates and academic performance? It seems to me that a player who was a good student in high school and demonstrated reasonable aptitude in a standardized testing may be at least a little more likely to earn good marks in college (stay eligible) and graduate. I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions, but the principle of previous academic performance as predictor of future performance is pretty well established in college admissions.

And yes, I agree that the Testudo Times article was strictly referring to atheltic admission standards. This point is well taken. My post is just a disagreement with your point (b).

chrisheery
01-05-2010, 09:01 PM
And yes, I agree that the Testudo Times article was strictly referring to atheltic admission standards. This point is well taken. My post is just a disagreement with your point (b).

I have no idea if it is true or not too, but if you are going to write that on a "post" that doubles as a news report, sort of, you need to back that up with some numbers. I'd say he has the burden of proof in that situation. I'd still take the bet that our basketball academic standards are WAY higher than Maryland's.

juise
01-05-2010, 09:05 PM
I have no idea if it is true or not too, but if you are going to write that on a "post" that doubles as a news report, sort of, you need to back that up with some numbers. I'd say he has the burden of proof in that situation. I'd still take the bet that our basketball academic standards are WAY higher than Maryland's.

Good point. I feel kinda dirty now for calling anything written on that site an "article." It makes it sounds like a credible or somewhat objective news source.

diesel
01-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Let me see if I’ve got this straight. The Testudo Times people claim the College Park standards for academic admission of athletes are higher than Duke’s. What we know, however, is that Maryland’s graduation rates for basketball players have been the lowest in the ACC while Duke’s have been among the highest.

Accepting both of these propositions (for the sake of argument in the case of the Testudo Times claim), what does this imply? That Maryland admits bright basketball players but fails to educate and graduate them while Duke admits less bright athletes but does a great job in educating and graduating them?

Putting the argument this way, I don’t think that even accepting the remarkable Testudo Times claim about admission requirements makes the University of Maryland look any better!

Kedsy
01-05-2010, 11:49 PM
I will give you that the correlation is not incredibly strong, but you're saying that admission standards have nothing to do with graduation rates and academic performance? It seems to me that a player who was a good student in high school and demonstrated reasonable aptitude in a standardized testing may be at least a little more likely to earn good marks in college (stay eligible) and graduate. I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions, but the principle of previous academic performance as predictor of future performance is pretty well established in college admissions.

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. My point (b) was not an attempt to say that admission standards have nothing to do with graduation rates and academic performance in general. I was saying that testudo's claim had nothing to do with those things. He was talking solely about admission standards for basketball players, and nothing more.

Let me see if I’ve got this straight. The Testudo Times people claim the College Park standards for academic admission of athletes are higher than Duke’s. What we know, however, is that Maryland’s graduation rates for basketball players have been the lowest in the ACC while Duke’s have been among the highest.

Accepting both of these propositions (for the sake of argument in the case of the Testudo Times claim), what does this imply? That Maryland admits bright basketball players but fails to educate and graduate them while Duke admits less bright athletes but does a great job in educating and graduating them?

Putting the argument this way, I don’t think that even accepting the remarkable Testudo Times claim about admission requirements makes the University of Maryland look any better!

Your argument is logically sound. However, I don't think whether it makes Maryland look good or not is relevant. The testudo guy's claim is essentially that Maryland requires a higher SAT score for basketball players than Duke does and that Terrence Ross's SAT score may not be good enough to get into Maryland. Personally, I can't imagine that's true. All I'm saying is we shouldn't try to take too much out of something that is actually a very narrow statement on his part.

-bdbd
01-06-2010, 12:11 AM

Is there any MD "proof" to these wild statements??? If you want to make an assertion like that which is clearly contrary to what most (neutral) people believe/know, then you need to back it up with SOME (any?) evidence. While we here can't necessarily prove otherwise, neither can he (and he's the one making the assertion). And I think it is fair for posters here to share what we DO know about MD admissions/academics at least as indicators of what is probably the case with BB admissions. Given that MD's general student body has significantly lower admission standards (in terms of average GPA, SAT's, class rank, etc) and that most schools might slightly lower their general population admission standards a bit for special athletes - say 25% lower (just making up a figure) - and the corroborating evidence of the significantly lower athlete/BB graduation rates at MD, you've at least got a pretty good circumstantial case that their admission standards for their athletes are not "significantly better than Duke's."

Just face it, this was a wild and silly assertion by an angry fan. Frankly it doesn't merit this much discussion.

Dev11
01-06-2010, 02:14 AM
First post for me, here goes...

A buddy and I were at the Montrose Christian game tonight against Cesar Chavez High. We were sitting in the front row wearing Duke apparel and cheering for Josh Hairston, and carefully not cheering for Terrance Ross, since that would probably be some kind of NCAA violation. We met Josh and his mother after the game. She was gushing praise on the Duke program for a few minutes with us. Couldn't have been nicer, look for her at the Wake Forest game in Cameron!

Ross was incredible tonight, making a handful of contested long-range jumpers, driving in traffic, and leading some fast breaks. Against what I believe was a really mediocre team, he was a huge stud, and impressed me more than Hairston, who despite looking really solid and smart throughout the game missed a lot of open shots. He did have an excellent and-one layup with a double-team on him.

Gary Williams was there, sitting on one sideline with his arms folded most of the time and wearing a permanent scowl on his face, and he left at halftime. He lives less than 15 minutes from MC, so I can't imagine what compelled him to leave before taking in the second half. Kentucky assistant Rod Strickland was also there, but he managed to watch the whole game before departing. Not sure what to make of Gary's exit, but I can't say it looked good from where I was sitting.

Bottom line, I hope we get this kid.

Sweat, Gary. Sweat.

airowe
01-06-2010, 08:11 AM

A buddy and I were at the Montrose Christian game tonight against Cesar Chavez High. We were sitting in the front row wearing Duke apparel and cheering for Josh Hairston, and carefully not cheering for Terrance Ross, since that would probably be some kind of NCAA violation. We met Josh and his mother after the game. She was gushing praise on the Duke program for a few minutes with us. Couldn't have been nicer, look for her at the Wake Forest game in Cameron!

Ross was incredible tonight, making a handful of contested long-range jumpers, driving in traffic, and leading some fast breaks. Against what I believe was a really mediocre team, he was a huge stud, and impressed me more than Hairston, who despite looking really solid and smart throughout the game missed a lot of open shots. He did have an excellent and-one layup with a double-team on him.

Gary Williams was there, sitting on one sideline with his arms folded most of the time and wearing a permanent scowl on his face, and he left at halftime. He lives less than 15 minutes from MC, so I can't imagine what compelled him to leave before taking in the second half. Kentucky assistant Rod Strickland was also there, but he managed to watch the whole game before departing. Not sure what to make of Gary's exit, but I can't say it looked good from where I was sitting.

Sweat, Gary. Sweat.

Thanks for the info Dev11. Will look forward to hearing more writeups from you in the future.

whereinthehellami
01-06-2010, 08:49 AM
Thanks Dev11 for the write-up. I watched Hairston play last year and look forward to seeing how he does for Montrose this season.

ajgoodfella7
01-06-2010, 11:13 AM
Hey guys, first time poster.

Just wanted to share some information with you located on the ESPN.com college basketball rumor section from Jan. 5. There is a direct quote from Terrence Ross and he does not list Duke as one of his finalists. The quote is as follows:

Following his team's showing at the Les Schwab Invitational, though, Jones narrowed down his choices. "Kentucky, Oklahoma, Washington, Oregon, UCLA, West Virginia, Texas, that's pretty much it. With the schools I have, I'm going with those and pretty much pick one out of those in April."

Hopefully he just chose to leave Duke out to quite the assault of MD fans but it is somewhat surprising considering the amount of attention he has been getting as a Duke target.

arnie
01-06-2010, 11:16 AM

Sweat, Gary. Sweat.

For what it's worth (maybe not much) a guest on 620 the Buzz this morning said Ross will attend either Duke or Kentucky. Not sure of the guest's name.

Duvall
01-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Hey guys, first time poster.

Just wanted to share some information with you located on the ESPN.com college basketball rumor section from Jan. 5. There is a direct quote from Terrence Ross and he does not list Duke as one of his finalists. The quote is as follows:

Following his team's showing at the Les Schwab Invitational, though, Jones narrowed down his choices. "Kentucky, Oklahoma, Washington, Oregon, UCLA, West Virginia, Texas, that's pretty much it. With the schools I have, I'm going with those and pretty much pick one out of those in April."

Hopefully he just chose to leave Duke out to quite the assault of MD fans but it is somewhat surprising considering the amount of attention he has been getting as a Duke target.

Are you sure that wasn't a quote from Terrence Jones, and not Terrence Ross?

juise
01-06-2010, 11:24 AM
Are you sure that wasn't a quote for Terrence Jones, and Terrence Ross?

It says "Jones narrowed down his choices," so I assume that there has been some confusion. Like I said earlier in the thread, last year both Jones and Ross played for Jefferson High School here in Portland, and they are are both wing players. I can see how someone might get confused.

ajgoodfella7
01-06-2010, 11:38 AM
It says "Jones narrowed down his choices," so I assume that there has been some confusion. Like I said earlier in the thread, last year both Jones and Ross played for Jefferson High School here in Portland, and they are are both wing players. I can see how someone might get confused.

Actually it was Terrence Jones. And I guess that means my first post goes down in flames. Sorry about the confusion guys.

Huh?
01-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Actually it was Terrence Jones. And I guess that means my first post goes down in flames. Sorry about the confusion guys.

No worries, first post jitters.

airowe
01-06-2010, 12:02 PM

Don't Miss it Deon! ;)

ajgoodfella7
01-06-2010, 12:12 PM
Don't Miss it Deon! ;)

Nah man, I have been a Duke fan since I started watching CBB back in '97. I just misread the article. I didn't think that was correct because of everyone hearing that he was possibly at Cameron and his facebook quote. I am happy that my post was incorrect. I was not trying to troll the board or anything as you could obviously tell that the quote was in fact from Jones. I just wasn't paying attention hard enough.

airowe
01-06-2010, 12:17 PM
Nah man, I have been a Duke fan since I started watching CBB back in '97. I just misread the article. I didn't think that was correct because of everyone hearing that he was possibly at Cameron and his facebook quote. I am happy that my post was incorrect. I was not trying to troll the board or anything as you could obviously tell that the quote was in fact from Jones. I just wasn't paying attention hard enough.

Just giving you a hard time. I wouldn't wish being a Carolina fan on you, or really anyone else for that matter...

ajgoodfella7
01-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Just giving you a hard time. I wouldn't wish being a Carolina fan on you, or really anyone else for that matter...

Well thanks. I have so many friends who are Carolina fans who don't even follow CBB until the tournament or when Carolina has a top 5 team. Therefore, I wouldn't want to be a Carolina fan anyway. For the record, I live near Pittsburgh and I'm not sure how it is in other parts of the country but I swear about 70% of every friend I have, is a Carolina fan. Hence, I pity Carolina, if these are the types of fans they have.

G man
01-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Well thanks. I have so many friends who are Carolina fans who don't even follow CBB until the tournament or when Carolina has a top 5 team. Therefore, I wouldn't want to be a Carolina fan anyway. For the record, I live near Pittsburgh and I'm not sure how it is in other parts of the country but I swear about 70% of every friend I have, is a Carolina fan. Hence, I pity Carolina, if these are the types of fans they have.

I live out in Nebraska same thing out here! People who do not watch unless they are elite

GarrickB28
01-08-2010, 09:29 AM
I was hoping to get some incite on Ross. It appears he has reopened his recruitment in part because he is "realizing his talent". I know he is not as highly ranked right now (43 rivals 39 ESPN), but is his stock/ranking going to increase that much this year?

roywhite
01-08-2010, 09:59 AM
I was hoping to get some incite on Ross. It appears he has reopened his recruitment in part because he is "realizing his talent". I know he is not as highly ranked right now (43 rivals 39 ESPN), but is his stock/ranking going to increase that much this year?

No inside info, but some of the commentary on Ross has been:
He is well regarded and likely to rise in various rankings...top 30?
He didn't participate in all the summer events, AAU, etc. which can affect rankings
He has a serious interest in Duke

grossbus
01-08-2010, 10:20 AM
"carefully not cheering for Terrance Ross, since that would probably be some kind of NCAA violation."

a funny remark, but, sadly, probably true.

Daniel tosh
01-10-2010, 01:34 PM
Any new info on terrence and his recruitment?

DukeSean
01-10-2010, 01:52 PM
Any new info on terrence and his recruitment?

No, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's our primary target right now. We all figured Roscoe Smith was off the table due to academic concerns, his commitment to UCONN made sense in that aspect.

houstondukie
01-10-2010, 03:08 PM
No, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's our primary target right now. We all figured Roscoe Smith was off the table due to academic concerns, his commitment to UCONN made sense in that aspect.

Don't forget Carrick Felix, who according to Rivals.com has an offer.

DukeSean
01-10-2010, 06:18 PM
Don't forget Carrick Felix, who according to Rivals.com has an offer.

Yes thanks for pointing that out, although Felix is a less known talent.

verga
01-10-2010, 11:51 PM
Felix does indeed have a offer, a offer to visit Duke, so does his (7'1" teammate) ,probably for the Wake game at Cameron, if it can be worked out. Neither has an official offer.

Newton_14
01-11-2010, 09:05 PM
Felix does indeed have a offer, a offer to visit Duke, so does his (7'1" teammate) ,probably for the Wake game at Cameron, if it can be worked out. Neither has an official offer.

Interesting. Scout puts it out there that the kid has an offer, but not a peep out of any other "inside" sources and you are like the 3rd or 4th person to post he does not have an offer. I guess we will know for sure soon.

As for Ross, I thought he was a 4 Star, but the latest article I read indicated he is a 5 Star. Do you know if he has been a 5 Star all along or did he move up to a 5 Star recently?

soccerstud2210
01-11-2010, 09:30 PM
As for Ross, I thought he was a 4 Star, but the latest article I read indicated he is a 5 Star. Do you know if he has been a 5 Star all along or did he move up to a 5 Star recently?

i was wondering that as well. i checked both rivals and scout and they both have him listed as a 4 star still

CPDUKEGUY24
01-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Interesting. Scout puts it out there that the kid has an offer, but not a peep out of any other "inside" sources and you are like the 3rd or 4th person to post he does not have an offer. I guess we will know for sure soon.

i was wondering that as well. i checked both rivals and scout and they both have him listed as a 4 star still

I remembered reading an article a week or so ago which explained his ranking situation. Seemed as though most experts acknowledged that seeing Mr. Ross in person leaves little to the imagination, mostly b/c his game is stellar, but this may do for the time being...

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/recruiting/2009/10/meet_terrence_ross.html

...In the meantime I'll keep looking for the other article.

GO DUKE!!

verga
01-11-2010, 11:18 PM
from past actions we have seen that K only offers once he's seen and talked to a recruit. In regard to Felix, he has done neither, i don't believe Nate James has the authority to offer and he's the only one to have seen these 2 recruits. The 7'1" guy is interesting. as always jmo GTHCGTH

stickdog
01-12-2010, 01:33 PM
video highlights of Montrose Christian's last game (http://capitolhoops.org/mtb-mid-season-tournament-2010.htm)

Josh Hairston is number 21.

Terrence Ross is number 32.

Justin Anderson is number 23.

I say, sign all three!

DUKIE V(A)
01-12-2010, 02:17 PM
video highlights of Montrose Christian's last game (http://capitolhoops.org/mtb-mid-season-tournament-2010.htm)

Josh Hairston is number 21.

Terrence Ross is number 32.

Justin Anderson is number 23.

I say, sign all three!

One down, two to go. Scary to think Hairston and Anderson could be playing for the same public high school if they weren't playing at Montrose.

I am hoping to watch Montrose play VA AAA Public School Powerhouse TC Williams this Saturday in Alexandria. Will give a report if I am able to make it. Should be a good one.

roywhite
01-12-2010, 02:25 PM
One down, two to go. Scary to think Hairston and Anderson could be playing for the same public high school if they weren't playing at Montrose.

I am hoping to watch Montrose play VA AAA Public School Powerhouse TC Williams this Saturday in Alexandria. Will give a report if I am able to make it. Should be a good one.

Anderson looks really strong inside, especially for a sophomore. Anyone know if he and Duke have a mutual interest at this point?

airowe
01-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Anderson looks really strong inside, especially for a sophomore. Anyone know if he and Duke have a mutual interest at this point?

I believe Anderson was at the Elite Camp and yes, there is definitely interest. Kid's a long way from a decision though.

In the more foreseeable future, I want to see Ross in a Duke uniform. Hopefully, we can get this thing worked out.

roywhite
01-12-2010, 02:58 PM
I believe Anderson was at the Elite Camp and yes, there is definitely interest. Kid's a long way from a decision though.

In the more foreseeable future, I want to see Ross in a Duke uniform. Hopefully, we can get this thing worked out.

A Montrose pipeline? That works for me.

Probably not something Gary likes at all.

Kfanarmy
01-12-2010, 03:27 PM
You could also bring up the name of Ronald Curry. He was committed to UVA before unc decided to "poach" him.

Let's just hope that if Ross does come to Duke, he has a better career than Curry.

RONALD Curry perhaps

Welcome2DaSlopes
01-12-2010, 03:43 PM

All due respect T.C. Williams SUCKS this year. They have no leadership and the coach refuses to play his young players. Yes they won a state championship TWO years ago but this is in no means the same team. Should be a very easy win for Montrose

yancem
01-12-2010, 07:25 PM
RONALD Curry perhaps

Huh?????? You say RONALD, I say Ronald, what's the difference??

Kedsy
01-12-2010, 09:18 PM
Huh?????? You say RONALD, I say Ronald, what's the difference??

I think he was saying Ross should have a better career than RONALD, but not necessarily Seth, although that's just a guess on my part.

Newton_14
01-12-2010, 10:00 PM
I think he was saying Ross should have a better career than RONALD, but not necessarily Seth, although that's just a guess on my part.

I read it that way as well. It is the only thing that makes sense.

I hope we get the Ross kid. It appears he has elevated his game and would likely be a great addition. I do hope though that he is a true 6'6 with good length so he can be what I would call a true small forward.

I love small forwards that are quick and can shoot the 3 with consistency while also having enough size/length to be above average rebounders and score/defend effectively in the paint. Ross seems to be close to that type player.

Kedsy
01-12-2010, 11:29 PM
I hope we get the Ross kid. It appears he has elevated his game and would likely be a great addition. I do hope though that he is a true 6'6 with good length so he can be what I would call a true small forward.

I love small forwards that are quick and can shoot the 3 with consistency while also having enough size/length to be above average rebounders and score/defend effectively in the paint. Ross seems to be close to that type player.

Plus we could use someone like that over the next year or two to guard a certain 6'6" small forward from down the road.

ajgoodfella7
01-13-2010, 09:28 PM
Interesting Q&A chat with HSHoops.com. Ross said something very interesting that early on he was getting some Pac-10, Big East, and Big Ten offers but only one ACC offer. He is asked directly if he chose Maryland just because he wanted to play in the ACC and he responded "yeah." I guess that could only be a positive for Duke going forward.

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/getting-up/2010/01/on-the-record-with-terrence-ross/

jimrowe0
01-14-2010, 07:50 AM
Interesting Q&A chat with HSHoops.com. Ross said something very interesting that early on he was getting some Pac-10, Big East, and Big Ten offers but only one ACC offer. He is asked directly if he chose Maryland just because he wanted to play in the ACC and he responded "yeah." I guess that could only be a positive for Duke going forward.

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/getting-up/2010/01/on-the-record-with-terrence-ross/

Thats funny because that is the exact same post I was going to make. He wants to play in the ACC and Duke is the only one on his list (except Maryland, but its obvious his not going back).

MChambers
01-15-2010, 08:21 AM
Stu Vetter on Ross

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/14/AR2010011404083.html

Not much new.

DUKIE V(A)
01-17-2010, 09:43 AM
Had a chance to catch the Montrose/TC Williams game in Alexandria last night. Montrose won 67-46. Here are my impressions:

First, Montrose REALLY impressed me. They are big, talented, and very physically developed. They have at least 7 Mid to High Major Division 1 and likely 3 future NBA players on their team. They play team basketball and play hard from the tip to the end of the game. I have never seen a team that talented play so consistently hard at the high school level. Stu Vetter, the Montrose coach, has these guys balling. Having seen all, this team compares favorably to their Durrant/Vasquez team of a few years ago and their team last season (who Vetter referred to last season as his most talented ever). I wonder what he thinks now.

Second, while TC Williams is not as strong as they have been in recent years, they remain a very, very good high school basketball team. They feature two senior forwards who are "low" to possibly "mid" Division 1 level players. They also have a junior who is a major Division 1 football lineman recruit who is an absolutely beast. TC lacks the dynamic guard play they have had in years past but I wouldn't want to have to play them. It seems that TC is a long-shot to win states this year, but are likely a top 4 team in the Northern Region at the VA AAA level and as such have a good shot at making the state quarterfinals.

I will provide (by my unofficial count) each players scoring totals for the game, but I don't think we should get hung up on these. All are excellent players who will/would certainly be important contributors at Duke. They are all unselfish players (as is the entire Montrose team) and did not force the action for selfish, "me first" reasons. None of these guys shot very much at all.

Since this is a Ross thread, let me start with my opinion on him. Ross ended the game with 10 points. Ross is a good shooter with three point range. He looks like he has a capable mid-range game (which I believe he has huge potential to develop) and threw down a nasty windmill dunk off a steal during the second half. I love his defensive intensity and feel like he would be a huge asset for Duke on the wing. IMO, he is definitely more a "3" than a "2." My best guess is that he would be a good to very good 4 year player at Duke. Eventually, I think he has a pretty good shot at making the NBA.

Let's talk Hairston next. We are in for a treat. Hairston scored 14 last night but was saddled with foul trouble and missed over half of the second half with four fouls. Many of his fouls were ticky-tack and nothing to be concerned about. Hairston's body reminds me of Dante Cunningham's and his game reminds me a lot of LaPhonso Ellis' -- the former Notre Dame All-American. He looks 6'9" (if the other players are what they are reported to be), is strong, and is a very good shooter with three point range. I was impressed with the high release on his shot which I believe will enable him to shoot over people at the ACC and NBA levels. Hairston is a very capable, solid defender and will be an asset in this regard at Duke. IMO, Hairston projects to be an excellent player at Duke and we are very fortunate to have him. Should he stay injury free, he has an excellent shot at a solid 10+ year NBA career. Lastly, he is captain of the team and seems like an excellent leader on and off the court from what I could see.

Anderson is an absolute freak of nature. He is a 6'6" sophomore with an NBA body right now. I am not trying to be funny and this is hard to even spit out, but if he grows another couple inches and his body continues to develop we are talking a LeBron James type body. Yes, he is that rugged and developed. The scary thing about Anderson is that he is a lefty (which adds to his unique skill set), explosive, and cat quick and agile. He is a very good passer and so athletic that he could be a tremendous defender at any level. My guess is that if he were a senior this year, he would be considered a top 10 if not 5 recruit. He is that good and has that much potential. He projects as a one and doner and if he works on his shot (which is already good) and stays injury free I see an NBA superstar and Hall of Famer.

Devil's Advocate
01-17-2010, 10:46 AM
Interesting. Thanks. Anderson who? What's his first name?

studdlee10
01-17-2010, 10:53 AM
Interesting. Thanks. Anderson who? What's his first name?

Justin Anderson. He is a sophomore in the same class as JP Tokoto and Amile Jefferson.

I've seen him play a few times and love his game. I really hope we put the full court press on him and let Tokoto go to UNC (not saying we will get out-recruited, just saying I would prefer K go after Anderson).

Devilsfan
01-17-2010, 11:34 AM
Is Ross good enough to stop the carolina basketball savior from Ames, Ia.?

DUKIE V(A)
01-17-2010, 11:09 PM
Is Ross good enough to stop the carolina basketball savior from Ames, Ia.?

I don't have an educated opinion on that having not seen Barnes, but I like our team better than theirs for the foreseeable future. I think Ross would definitely make us better. I like his length, athleticism, and shooting. He has potential to be an excellent defender and develop a nice mid-range game.

Here is a link to last night's highlights:

http://www.csnwashington.com/pages/landing_09/?blockID=123962&feedID=2992

Welcome2DaSlopes
01-17-2010, 11:12 PM
Second,while TC Williams is not as strong as they have been in recent years, they remain a very, very good high school basketball team. They feature two senior forwards who are "low" to possibly "mid" Division 1 level players. They also have a junior who is a major Division 1 football lineman recruit who is an absolutely beast. TC lacks the dynamic guard play they have had in years past but I wouldn't want to have to play them. It seems that TC is a long-shot to win states this year, but are likely a top 4 team in the Northern Region at the VA AAA level and as such have a good shot at making the state quarterfinals.

T.C.williams has a lot of young guards on the team who are still developing. Jordan Byrd, Daquan Kerman, Anthony Huggins are all in their second year of high school. Jay whitmere the Division 1 football player you mentioned is IMO not there best big and is not that good in basketball. He reminds me of Zoub last year.

Welcome2DaSlopes
01-17-2010, 11:14 PM
Anderson should be a senior right now. I've played aau basketball against him, the kid is a beast.

DUKIE V(A)
01-18-2010, 09:09 AM
T.C.williams has a lot of young guards on the team who are still developing. Jordan Byrd, Daquan Kerman, Anthony Huggins are all in their second year of high school. Jay whitmere the Division 1 football player you mentioned is IMO not there best big and is not that good in basketball. He reminds me of Zoub last year.

I agree that Whitmere is not TC's best big man, but he is an excellent athlete and strong as a bull. It was impressive how Hairston was able to handle his strength. They don't get much stronger.

As for Anderson, perhaps he should be a senior due to how developed he is, but I am not aware that dropped back in HS. My understsanding is that he is 15 or 16. Could be wrong.

Welcome2DaSlopes
01-18-2010, 10:36 AM
I agree that Whitmere is not TC's best big man, but he is an excellent athlete and strong as a bull. It was impressive how Hairston was able to handle his strength. They don't get much stronger.

As for Anderson, perhaps he should be a senior due to how developed he is, but I am not aware that dropped back in HS. My understsanding is that he is 15 or 16. Could be wrong.

He is 17 from my understanding. I have friends who are friends of his. Were you at the game on saturday? I live in the area but decided not to go.

whereinthehellami
01-19-2010, 04:14 PM
Anderson was supposed to go to Courtland, the HS that Hairston went to last year but the Andersons decided on Montrose to better develop Justin.

roywhite
01-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Anderson was supposed to go to Courtland, the HS that Hairston went to last year but the Andersons decided on Montrose to better develop Justin.

Justin Anderson recently turned 16 (DOB 11/19/1993) according to USA Basketball:

http://www.usabasketball.com/news.php?news_page=09_mu16_feature_anderson_j

..which has a nice feature article on him and also shows him on the roster of the USA Under-16 team this last summer.

No inside info, but I'd think he may be on Duke's radar for the class of 2012, and sounds like he comes from a good family situation.

He is physically very impressive, especially for a young guy.

gotham devil
02-03-2010, 01:40 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/02/AR2010020204323.html

leaving Montrose

AlaskanAssassin
02-03-2010, 02:15 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/02/AR2010020204323.html

leaving Montrose

Hmm..weird. Maybe he's being pressured too much by Hairston. :rolleyes:

oldnavy
02-03-2010, 06:41 AM
Wonder if he is homesick? If so, that might mean a change in his college plans as well.

superdave
02-03-2010, 09:32 AM
That is strange and not in a good way. I wonder if he would have to sit out the rest of this season if he goes to a public school.

DeBlueDevil
02-03-2010, 09:49 AM
I too agree that this is strange. I wonder why now? Does anyone think it could possibly be that the location he is at right now is providing too much distraction? From my understanding Montrose Christian is not far away from UMD. And I don't believe Terp fans are too happy with Terrance since he decommited. You think maybe the added pressure of terp fans possibly harrassing him has anything to do with this? Whatever it is...seems like something is weighing on this kid...I hate to see kids at a young age travel back and forth and swith schools and get pressured like some of these kids do with recruiting.

Houston
02-03-2010, 10:58 AM
I too agree that this is strange. I wonder why now? Does anyone think it could possibly be that the location he is at right now is providing too much distraction? From my understanding Montrose Christian is not far away from UMD. And I don't believe Terp fans are too happy with Terrance since he decommited. You think maybe the added pressure of terp fans possibly harrassing him has anything to do with this?

This is a negative data point. I do not want to jump to any conclusions because I do not know all of the facts, but it does raise several questions. A student athlete at Duke faces a tremendous amount of pressure and responsibility (maintaining ones grades to being the biggest game on everyone's schedule) on and off the court. Hopefully, there is a simple explanation.

CDu
02-03-2010, 11:03 AM
This is a negative data point. I do not want to jump to any conclusions because I do not know all of the facts, but it does raise several questions. A student athlete at Duke faces a tremendous amount of pressure and responsibility (maintaining ones grades to being the biggest game on everyone's schedule) on and off the court. Hopefully, there is a simple explanation.

I wouldn't make any comment as to whether it's a negative data point or not. We don't have any idea why he's transferring. And even if it is because people are treating him badly, I don't think it's necessarily a negative data point. What if he's receiving regular verbal threats or abuse? The academic stresses are completely different than physical threats or constant verbal abuse. Sure, he'd get some of that on the road at Duke. But I doubt he'd get it nearly as much as a high school kid in "enemy territory."

I too hope there's a simple explanation, but not because of how it would reflect on Ross's potential to handle the stress of Duke. I just hope it's a different explanation because I wouldn't want any teenager (or anyone else for that matter, really) to take such abuse on a regular basis for any reason.

ChicagoCrazy84
02-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Strange. I doubt he would transfer because a few Terps fans are giving him flack for backing off of his commitment. These kids take that stuff in stride and after a while, Terps fans would simply forget. It probably has something to do with being homesick or not liking the environment there, but that's purely a guess. What does he do at this point being a senior? Would he be eligible to play anywhere the rest of the season?

Kedsy
02-03-2010, 11:31 AM
Strange. I doubt he would transfer because a few Terps fans are giving him flack for backing off of his commitment. These kids take that stuff in stride and after a while, Terps fans would simply forget. It probably has something to do with being homesick or not liking the environment there, but that's purely a guess. What does he do at this point being a senior? Would he be eligible to play anywhere the rest of the season?

He's been there a year and a half, and was only scheduled to be there for another few months. It would be odd if homesickness asserted itself after so long.

And there's no way the Maryland fans are forgetting his decommitment anytime soon.

CrazieDUMB
02-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Does anyone know his minutes situation? Maybe he wants some more PT, see if more exposure will raise his value even more.

Bluedevil114
02-03-2010, 12:33 PM
Does anyone know his minutes situation? Maybe he wants some more PT, see if more exposure will raise his value even more.

When you have Duke, Kentucky and Kansas offering you to come to their school I do not believe exposure is an issue.

jaygdevil11
02-03-2010, 01:12 PM
I have read that getting in to Duke would be difficult due to his home school credits. I wonder if this has anything to do with him going to another school so that he can have the credits to be admitted in to Duke? That is just a guess...

Mr Blue Devil
02-03-2010, 01:16 PM

He is one of their top 3 players and PT at Montrose is certainly not a problem. The only way he could see more PT is if they extend the game!! :)

airowe
02-03-2010, 01:28 PM
if you look at Coach Vetter's policy on decommitting it's pretty clear that this was not Ross leaving because of PT/flack from twerps/or homesickness. Vetter was reportedly not happy that Ross had verballed to UM and then backed out. I've never met Coach V before, but from all accounts he is a very principled man who sticks to his beliefs.

Maybe Mr. Blue Devil can enlighten us on Coach V.

mph
02-03-2010, 01:38 PM
I have read that getting in to Duke would be difficult due to his home school credits. I wonder if this has anything to do with him going to another school so that he can have the credits to be admitted in to Duke? That is just a guess...

Is this something specific to Ross's homeschool program? According to the admissions website (http://admissions.duke.edu/jump/applying/apply_homeschooled.html), homeschooled students have acceptance rates on par or a little higher than the applicant pool at-large.

The number of homeschooled students applying to Duke has steadily increased over the last several years. Each application is read very carefully, and if the Admissions Committee has questions about the information submitted, we will call the applicants themselves. For the past several years, homeschooled students have been admitted to Duke at a rate equal to or higher than that for the entire applicant pool.

Jim3k
02-03-2010, 03:22 PM
This smells of an academic issue to me. In fact, I'm not certain that Duke has offered Ross, for that very reason.

superdave
02-03-2010, 03:32 PM
This smells of an academic issue to me. In fact, I'm not certain that Duke has offered Ross, for that very reason.

Hmmm....sounds like how we didnt offer Eric Bledsoe last year.

soccerstud2210
02-03-2010, 04:31 PM

scout has us as offered him.

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&yr=2010

apparently he is the only prospect for 2010 left that we have an offer out for. can anyone either confirm or deny that?

CPDUKEGUY24
02-03-2010, 04:40 PM

Not sure if you were suggesting we have/have not offered Ross but according to scouts...

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=9&cfg=bb&c=4&yr=2010

I know we're...well I won't say desperate, rather scouring the map for a SF "type" player for next season but, would we extend an offer to a player we're not sure would clear admissions?

Jim3k
02-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Scout, and all these services, can be wrong. I know many here believe we offered John Wall, but I think the truth is we never did. Wall was given some academic goals, but never achieved them. We knew from the start that Bledsoe was never going to make the academic cut.

Academically qualified kids don't leave school in their last semester as Ross just did. Consider this...Last semester's grades are now in. His coach would insist on classroom performance as a condition of continuing to play. And he's not playing...Inference? Draw the one I have, if you want. Or don't.

But also consider, if Ross had been offered, I think it is clear that he would have committed, since he had given up Mary. His not doing so suggests that he has not been offered. He obviously has talent and fits what we are supposedly looking for. So what's the issue? The main reason K would not have extended an offer is academics -- same as with Wall and Bledsoe -- though sometimes K senses chemistry/character issues. Under any of the scenarios, we must conclude that Ross does not have an offer.

Heck, we might even ask if his giving up Mary was for schoolwork issues. Did Mary actually withdraw the offer?

All this smells, as I said, of academic issues.

Maybe someone credible like Watzone knows the facts, and though he could probably say whether an offer was made, he probably couldn't professionally say why it has not been, even if he knows. He'd be breaching confidences if he did.

I admit I'm making an educated guess. But I certainly wouldn't rely on Scout here.

DeepBlue70
02-03-2010, 06:21 PM

Not sure I remember this correctly but it seems I read something somewhere in the way of an interview/profile and recall him saying that his favorite book was Til We Have Facesby C.S.Lewis. I was blown away when I read this. Not your garden variety choice of favorite book. Very difficult to understand, very significant piece of literature. If so, then I think that the kind of interview that Admissions Director Gutentag has had with other potential prospects would quickly determine that this kid has what it takes academcially.

SupaDave
02-03-2010, 06:56 PM
Well can someone help me here? Can he still even graduate? Does Vetter expect all A's? Is he still a 2010 prospect?

Newton_14
02-03-2010, 07:38 PM
Scout, and all these services, can be wrong. I know many here believe we offered John Wall, but I think the truth is we never did. Wall was given some academic goals, but never achieved them. We knew from the start that Bledsoe was never going to make the academic cut.

Academically qualified kids don't leave school in their last semester as Ross just did. Consider this...Last semester's grades are now in. His coach would insist on classroom performance as a condition of continuing to play. And he's not playing...Inference? Draw the one I have, if you want. Or don't.

But also consider, if Ross had been offered, I think it is clear that he would have committed, since he had given up Mary. His not doing so suggests that he has not been offered. He obviously has talent and fits what we are supposedly looking for. So what's the issue? The main reason K would not have extended an offer is academics -- same as with Wall and Bledsoe -- though sometimes K senses chemistry/character issues. Under any of the scenarios, we must conclude that Ross does not have an offer.

Heck, we might even ask if his giving up Mary was for schoolwork issues. Did Mary actually withdraw the offer?

All this smells, as I said, of academic issues.

Maybe someone credible like Watzone knows the facts, and though he could probably say whether an offer was made, he probably couldn't professionally say why it has not been, even if he knows. He'd be breaching confidences if he did.

I admit I'm making an educated guess. But I certainly wouldn't rely on Scout here.

Wow. I will tread lightly here, but I feel your post is over the top as you admit at the end you are guessing at best. I don't think it is right to throw these kids under the bus without having facts to back up the assertions. Very credible sources indicated that Wall received an offer from K the day they met on campus. Wall was also said to have performed very well in the summer classes at Kentucky, and I have never seen it published anywhere that he was given academic goals and failed to meet them. We do know that Bledsoe would have trouble getting into Duke due to grades and it is very likely that is why he never got an offer from Duke.

As for Ross, this is obviously not a good situation no matter what. But I think it is very unfair to him to toss this theory out there that his grades have caused the twerps to pull their offer, caused K not to offer, and caused Montrose to run him off. At this point we have nothing to go on, and it literally could be anything. I hate it because I was really hoping to see him come to Duke. I don't mean to attack you or anything, I just feel your post is very unfair to the kid until the facts come to light. If grades are behind all of this then fine. But let's at least wait until the full story comes out to judge the kid..

Jim3k
02-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Wow. I will tread lightly here, but I feel your post is over the top as you admit at the end you are guessing at best. I don't think it is right to throw these kids under the bus without having facts to back up the assertions. Very credible sources indicated that Wall received an offer from K the day they met on campus. Wall was also said to have performed very well in the summer classes at Kentucky, and I have never seen it published anywhere that he was given academic goals and failed to meet them. We do know that Bledsoe would have trouble getting into Duke due to grades and it is very likely that is why he never got an offer from Duke.

As for Ross, this is obviously not a good situation no matter what. But I think it is very unfair to him to toss this theory out there that his grades have caused the twerps to pull their offer, caused K not to offer, and caused Montrose to run him off. At this point we have nothing to go on, and it literally could be anything. I hate it because I was really hoping to see him come to Duke. I don't mean to attack you or anything, I just feel your post is very unfair to the kid until the facts come to light. If grades are behind all of this then fine. But let's at least wait until the full story comes out to judge the kid..

Well, I can understand how you feel, but as for Wall and his supposed offer as well as whether K gave him some academic goals as a precondition for an offer, you claim you never saw that published. You’re probably right – at least on those specific terms. But in April 2009, the Sporting News published a story (http://www.sportingnews.com/college-basketball/article/2009-04-22/john-wall-unsure-if-he-has-scores-qualify) where Wall, who had not yet selected a school, reported that he was not sure if he would qualify academically – not for Duke specifically, but the NCAA minimums. He needed to combine a good college board score with his GPA. Doing so was certainly a goal and a precondition for him to get into a Div. 1 school on an athletic scholarship.

You think Chris Guttentag is going to accept the NCAA minimum? Do you really think that coach K would? Wall was not a Dockery who steadily improved his academics and made a case for himself which far exceeded the NCAA minimum. Wall, OTOH, was not successful in regular high school. He tried to improve himself at WOG and may well have done so. But not enough. He needed a much higher SAT score to reach the goal. Apparently he succeeded well enough to satisfy the NCAA, but not what was needed for Duke. No big deal, but please, its naïve to suggest that K didn’t impose academic goals upon him -- and, I’m pretty sure that it happened in the meeting where you think he got an offer. Remember that afterwards, the media kept reporting that he was going to meet with K, but never did? I think we know why not. Telephone calls were enough. I do think K likes the kid, wants him to succeed and gave him some good advice. But he just didn’t meet Duke’s goals, though given the chance. And it’s a sign of maturity that Wall performed well at UK summer school. Good for him; but it occurred after the admissions process was over and doesn’t help resolve what he had (not) accomplished before.

As for Ross, I don’t believe I’ve thrown him under the bus. He did that all on his own when he left school. And I certainly did not imply that “Montrose had run him off” as you assert. I did say that for some reason, following the end of the previous semester, his coach wouldn’t play him and he left. I also suggested you draw whatever conclusions you prefer. Presumably you agree that the scenario I drew is entirely probable. So I’m not sure why you think I’m over the top. As for speculation about his withdrawal from Maryland, again I think it is part of the overall implausibility of his behavior. And, once again, I only asked the question; I did not assert it to be a fact. But you must admit that withdrawing from Gary’s scholarship offer is a strange move. After all, Gary is not chopped liver when it comes to coaching to the pros, which is where Ross wants to go. One does not cast that away lightly.

I invite you to propose an alternative scenario that is equally conceivable…and I promise I won’t accuse you over being over the top. ;)

Newton_14
02-03-2010, 09:10 PM
As for Ross, I don’t believe I’ve thrown him under the bus. He did that all on his own when he left school. And I certainly did not imply that “Montrose had run him off” as you assert. I did say that for some reason, following the end of the previous semester, his coach wouldn’t play him and he left. I also suggested you draw whatever conclusions you prefer. Presumably you agree that the scenario I drew is entirely probable. So I’m not sure why you think I’m over the top. As for speculation about his withdrawal from Maryland, again I think it is part of the overall implausibility of his behavior. And, once again, I only asked the question; I did not assert it to be a fact. But you must admit that withdrawing from Gary’s scholarship offer is a strange move. After all, Gary is not chopped liver when it comes to coaching to the pros, which is where Ross wants to go. One does not cast that away lightly.

I invite you to propose an alternative scenario that is equally conceivable…and I promise I won’t accuse you over being over the top. ;)

Fair enough on Wall. I had not seen the article you linked so thanks for providing that. But I do believe Wall received an offer from K. Maybe Watzone would be kind enough to let us know for sure. Bledsoe on the other hand did not receive an offer from Duke.

As for Ross, I do not have an alternative scenario, and would not try to suggest what is going on there. I am waiting for the facts to come out so we can see what really happened. That was really my beef with your post. It's one thing to speculate on why he left Montrose, but your post suggested that Maryland pulled the offer, when everything reported indicates he decommitted, and that bad grades were a common demoninator in Maryland pulling the offer, Duke not offering, and Montrose dismissing him. I do think it is unfair to Ross to put all of that out there without facts to base it on.

Hey, you may end up being absolutely correct when all is said and done, I am just saying I do not feel it is ok to suggest that at this point. The kid deserves the benefit of the doubt.

I do agree that just because Scout says there is an offer from Duke does not mean there is one. I would rather hear that from Watzone personally.

Again, did not mean to attack or offend you, just thought the kid deserves a chance for the true story to be told.

jimsumner
02-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Duke is still recruiting Carrick Felix and Trey Zeigler for next year.

I do not believe Ross has an unconditional offer.

airowe
02-03-2010, 10:09 PM
Well can someone help me here? Can he still even graduate? Does Vetter expect all A's? Is he still a 2010 prospect?

He's not a prospect for Duke. High time we move on, wish him the best, and stop speculating on his academic prowess.

DeBlueDevil
02-03-2010, 10:15 PM
He's not a prospect for Duke. High time we move on, wish him the best, and stop speculating on his academic prowess.
Just wondering but how does anyone know if he is still a prospect for Duke or not?! We don't even know why this kid transferred yet? I just think everyone should wait to see what exactly happened here before assuming the worst and saying we no longer have interest in this kid.

DeBlueDevil
02-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Matter of fact this website

http://www.testudotimes.com/2010/2/2/1290098/the-terrence-ross-saga-continues

which is for UMD fans seems to say that maybe he wasn't getting along with coach Stu Vetter who supposedly is a big UMD advocate. None the less they don't even hint at the possibility that he had bad grades or anythng. But as I said before perhaps we should all just wait and see what really happened before we condemn the kid.

SupaDave
02-04-2010, 09:02 AM
Matter of fact this website

http://www.testudotimes.com/2010/2/2/1290098/the-terrence-ross-saga-continues

which is for UMD fans seems to say that maybe he wasn't getting along with coach Stu Vetter who supposedly is a big UMD advocate. None the less they don't even hint at the possibility that he had bad grades or anythng. But as I said before perhaps we should all just wait and see what really happened before we condemn the kid.

You've gotta love those Maryland fans - footnote from the article...

N.B.: It’s easy to bash Ross here, but please keep in mind that he’s a teenager and we don’t have all the information. Oh, and FWIW, this will probably be the final TR post, unless he goes to Duke.

DeBlueDevil
02-04-2010, 09:27 AM
Haha yea SupaDave that's what I'm saying. I mean I'm from Delaware and have tons of friends who went to UMD and actually have been in enemy territory on many different occassions. Those fans just despise us. I have no clue where the hatred comes from (well I have a clue) but if you ask me where I have received the most harrassment and have heard the harshest insults, it has def come from Terp fans...but thats just my experience...i love the fact someone can be loyal to their team but ohh man...so that was just my first instinct was to think he was being harrassed down there pretty heavily.

I would hope though that a coach of Stu Vetters stature and influence in high school would be respectable enough to separate his interests from that of a kids...but then again theres been more college coaches being accussed of mistreating kids now a days...wouldn't be suprised to see it in high school....but once again this is just an assumption could very well be ANYTHING else...lets see what happens

BigWil06
02-04-2010, 09:27 AM
First time poster, long time reader...

Per this blog it was a parental decision.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/terrapins-insider/2010/02/stu_vetter_comments_on_terrenc.html

Sheds a little more light on the situation. I'll take it with a grain of salt b/c when you are a minor I guess everything is a "parental decision"

DeBlueDevil
02-04-2010, 09:30 AM
Thanks BigWill...yea seems to me that the Ross family and Coach Vetter probably weren't seeing eye to eye on a couple of things...I always hate to see parents get involved in these situations...but I'm sure it happens more often than not...well we'll see how this thing plays out...but i'd hope this doesn't hurt his chances of signing with us

BD80
02-04-2010, 11:19 AM
First time poster, long time reader...

Per this blog it was a parental decision.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/terrapins-insider/2010/02/stu_vetter_comments_on_terrenc.html

Sheds a little more light on the situation. I'll take it with a grain of salt b/c when you are a minor I guess everything is a "parental decision"

Uh oh. "Parental decision" raises a huge red flag in my mind.

Visions of Ken Burgess dance in my head (like Michael Flatley and the entire cast of River Dance).

I find it telling that Coach K has gone out of his way to praise parents like the Scheyers who are active in their son's life but who have "turned him over" to Coach K's care and have fully supported Coach K's efforts.

Still, we shouldn't add speculation to the situation. Relaying information and even publishd rumors is OK, but we shouldn't speak or speculate negatively about a kid without facts. If the kid was on Coach K's radar, he has to have a lot going for him.

roywhite
02-04-2010, 11:25 AM
As jimsumner notes above, and I've read elsewhere, Carrick Felix and Trey Zeigler seem like more likely recruiting targets at this point than does Ross.

The addition of one or both would finish up an outstanding 2010 class (including Seth Curry) IMO.

enick66
02-04-2010, 12:11 PM
As jimsumner notes above, and I've read elsewhere, Carrick Felix and Trey Zeigler seem like more likely recruiting targets at this point than does Ross.

The addition of one or both would finish up an outstanding 2010 class (including Seth Curry) IMO.

First time poster.

First, according to Ross himself in this interview, Duke, Kentucky and Kansas have offered him scholly's since his UM decommit - http://www.highschoolhoop.com/getting-up/2010/01/on-the-record-with-terrence-ross/

Second, Ross is the best player Duke is currently recruiting. Felix looks like a possibility, but every report about him is that he is extremely raw. Also, he isn't exactly crushing opponents in JuCo, averaging 15 points and 5 rebounds for Southern Idaho. Ross is much likelier to have an instant impact at a key position . . . especially if Singler leaves. Zeigler looks like more of a reach than Roscoe Smith was. Zeigler looks to be playing with his Dad, or if his Dad loses his job, then going to Michigan State.

Third, Ross was clearly having issues with Montrose as soon as he decommitted from UM. However, it was nonetheless shocking he left. From Dave Telep - "OK, count me among those blindsided by T-Ross leaving Montrose. Big time player leaves respected school midway thru SR year? huh?" According to Telep, he believes it will be hard for Ross to qualify based on him leaving Montrose and thus makes his signing with Duke difficult.

However, he seems like a good kid, is tight with Josh Hairston, wants to play in the ACC and plays a position of need. I think Duke would be lucky to get him. All his problems at Montrose occurred when he decommitted at Maryland and everyone realized Duke was at the top of his list.

DeBlueDevil
02-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Yea see something just gave me the gut feeling the him decommiting from UMD kind of made things difficult at Montrose. Still very shocking though. I would hope that he and his parents would have done their research before making any rash decisions to leave. Maybe talked things over with Coach K and the staff or got some advice from someone who knows the rules and regulations for qualifying?

Although very different situations...I remember reading about Andre having conversations with the coaching staff at Duke about his qualifying for this year and then his eyes were opened to his ability to early enroll so maybe Terrance has taken some similar steps to seek advice? Just tough to think anyone would make that big of a mistake halfway through their senior season...any thoughts?

airowe
02-04-2010, 12:23 PM
any thoughts?

I'm not going to speculate on Ross' academic status on a public forum, but listen to jimsumner when he says Felix and Zeigler are the two 2010 prospects that Duke is still pursuing. The man knows what he's talking about.

roywhite
02-04-2010, 12:30 PM
First time poster.

First, according to Ross himself in this interview, Duke, Kentucky and Kansas have offered him scholly's since his UM decommit - http://www.highschoolhoop.com/getting-up/2010/01/on-the-record-with-terrence-ross/

Second, Ross is the best player Duke is currently recruiting. Felix looks like a possibility, but every report about him is that he is extremely raw. Also, he isn't exactly crushing opponents in JuCo, averaging 15 points and 5 rebounds for Southern Idaho. Ross is much likelier to have an instant impact at a key position . . . especially if Singler leaves. Zeigler looks like more of a reach than Roscoe Smith was. Zeigler looks to be playing with his Dad, or if his Dad loses his job, then going to Michigan State.

Third, Ross was clearly having issues with Montrose as soon as he decommitted from UM. However, it was nonetheless shocking he left. From Dave Telep - "OK, count me among those blindsided by T-Ross leaving Montrose. Big time player leaves respected school midway thru SR year? huh?" According to Telep, he believes it will be hard for Ross to qualify based on him leaving Montrose and thus makes his signing with Duke difficult.

However, he seems like a good kid, is tight with Josh Hairston, wants to play in the ACC and plays a position of need. I think Duke would be lucky to get him. All his problems at Montrose occurred when he decommitted at Maryland and everyone realized Duke was at the top of his list.

Welcome to the board and thanks for your information.

Just a couple points:

I don't have any inside information, so just speculating on what I've heard and read about Felix and Zeigler being higher priority (or likelihood at this point) than Ross.

Felix's numbers are not gaudy---but he is averaging 15 and 5 in 27 minutes per game against a decent level of JuCo competition; College of Southern Idaho has a deep rotation; Felix I believe leads the team in minutes played, scoring, and interestingly, blocked shots, and is reportedly a strong defender. His personal story is very interesting; has overcome injury, really worked to build himself up physically, and seems very determined. He played high school ball in the Phoenix area and comes from a career military family. He seems like just the athletic, mid-sized, unheralded prospect that Coach K often has sought out---a David Henderson or Brian Davis type.

We'll see how things work out.

enick66
02-04-2010, 12:36 PM
Here is Telep's tweet about Ross and Duke after his decision to leave Montrose -

Q: does terrence ross moving away from montrose mean anything?

A: DaveTelep - Means gonna be tuff to qualify. I don't see this going Duke's way.

I don't know enough about Ross' status class wise to give a comparison to Andre. Andre needed only one class to graduate and had already cleared the SAT's. When Elliott left, Andre was able to take the one Senior English class in Summer School and he was in. I have no idea what requirements Ross needs to meet. According to the interview I posted earlier, he plans to take the ACT a second time because he didn't pass the first time, thus he has that hurdle to meet, which Andre didn't. Without knowing where Ross is in his academics and who he may have talked to before making his decision to leave Montrose, it is difficult to speculate on his eligibility for 2010-2011.

My original post was intended to shed light on the mutual interest between Duke and Ross and the fact that he is an excellent SF prospect who was having a huge Senior season prior to this shocking decision.

-bdbd
02-04-2010, 12:54 PM
I don't have any inside information, so just speculating on what I've heard and read about Felix and Zeigler being higher priority (or likelihood at this point) than Ross.

Felix's numbers are not gaudy---but he is averaging 15 and 5 in 27 minutes per game against a decent level of JuCo competition; College of Southern Idaho has a deep rotation; Felix I believe leads the team in minutes played, scoring, and interestingly, blocked shots, and is reportedly a strong defender. His personal story is very interesting; has overcome injury, really worked to build himself up physically, and seems very determined. He played high school ball in the Phoenix area and comes from a career military family. He seems like just the athletic, mid-sized, unheralded prospect that Coach K often has sought out---a David Henderson or Brian Davis type.

We'll see how things work out.

Still way too early to make an assessment of the impact on Ross' future based on this. I know that he had some home-schooling too. So it's always possible that he finishes up that way. Curious, if it was a coach conflict, why withdraw from school entirely? Why not just withdraw from BB team, and still finish out the academic term??

Agree with Roy White (though I don't yet agree that we're backing off of Ross and it seemed that he was maybe a Duke lean prior to this (and the best of the remaining targets). Felix would seem to fit the David Henderson type mold (BTW, for those too young to remember, DH was actually a "fallback" for us as well after ole Dean swooped in and nabbed a highly-rated Durham kid who was our #1 proirity (Hunter?). That certainly worked out better for us than Kerlina!) Zeigler is intiguing, but hasn't seemed to be a primary target to now. Some rank him higher than Ross - anybody think we have a good shot if we now focus on him?
Felix having a carreer military family background speaks well of his probable attitude/character - I'm sure K loves that - and maybe his discipline. We certainly need a swing, in the athletic 6-4 to 6-7 mold. Anybody think Hairston would match up well againt 6-6 to 6-7 H. Barnes-types?

:confused:

"still hoping Terrence is still strong on our radar"

enick66
02-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Update on Ross from ESPN.com Terrence Ross Recruiting Page - "Left Montrose in Feb. 2010 and will reportedly enroll at prep school in Arizona."

jimsumner
02-04-2010, 01:30 PM
Carrick Felix would fill a need at Duke. He's a tough, defense-first, athletic, mid-size wing. Ironically, I'm currently working on an article about a former Duke player who might be a useful analog--Carmen Wallace. Or think Robert Brickey, a player who never had an especially refined skill set but somehow leveraged the abilities he did have into starting for three Final Four teams.

Zeigler is slightly smaller, less athletic, more skilled with the ball and very heady. Jeff Capel, maybe, although Capel had better hops. Zeigler's father is a college coach and K loves sons of coaches. Zeigler is a consensus top-30 prospect and is being recruited by such heavies as UCLA, Michigan and Michigan State. Duke got in late with Zeigler but is making up ground.

With the departure of Czyz, Duke has enough scholarships for both Felix and Zeigler, should the cards fall the right way. But I think it likely that Duke gets at least one.

COYS
02-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Carrick Felix would fill a need at Duke. He's a tough, defense-first, athletic, mid-size wing. Ironically, I'm currently working on an article about a former Duke player who might be a useful analog--Carmen Wallace. Or think Robert Brickey, a player who never had an especially refined skill set but somehow leveraged the abilities he did have into starting for three Final Four teams.

With the departure of Czyz, Duke has enough scholarships for both Felix and Zeigler, should the cards fall the right way. But I think it likely that Duke gets at least one.

Hope it works out like that for sure. I certainly wouldn't mind Felix filling a defensive role on our team, next year. With or without Singler, we're going to have plenty of players who are built to score (Nolan, Kyrie, Seth, Andre, Sophomore Mason all could score in double figures next year depending on how the rotation works out). A 6-6 guy who loves to rebound, block shots, and do the dirty work sounds like a perfect addition.

duke4life32182
02-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Sounds like the second coming of Dahntay Jones.

MChambers
02-04-2010, 01:50 PM

Zeigler is slightly smaller, less athletic, more skilled with the ball and very heady. Jeff Capel, maybe, although Capel had better hops. Zeigler's father is a college coach and K loves sons of coaches. Zeigler is a consensus top-30 prospect and is being recruited by such heavies as UCLA, Michigan and Michigan State. Duke got in late with Zeigler but is making up ground.

Maybe this thread should be renamed "Duke's quest for a wing." Either way, I'd be happy if either (or both) came to Duke next year.

bigboi3756
02-04-2010, 01:55 PM
What ever happened to tashawn mabry?

enick66
02-04-2010, 02:08 PM

According to ESPN, Duke is involved but yet to offer. Not same level of prospect as Ross or Zeigler in Senior class though.

roywhite
02-04-2010, 02:20 PM

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2009/05/mabry-demands-respect/

Note the last comment at the bottom.

bigboi3756
02-04-2010, 02:25 PM
According to ESPN, Duke is involved but yet to offer. Not same level of prospect as Ross or Zeigler in Senior class though.
Thanks, thats kinda what i figured

Wow. thats a good sign i guess...

soccerstud2210
02-04-2010, 02:26 PM

sheesh! how legit is that poster and comment???

roywhite
02-04-2010, 02:30 PM
sheesh! how legit is that poster and comment???

I can't verify it, but I read it elsewhere also. I guess the account is purely hearsay, but I don't think Duke is recruiting Mabry any longer.

bigboi3756
02-04-2010, 02:34 PM
my bad i thought you were talking about the harrison barnes comment.
If what that poster said is true i dont see k wanting this kid.

BD80
02-04-2010, 02:36 PM

Mabry’s not “kind of” good, he’s “potentially breaking into the HighSchoolHoop top 50” good, which says a lot since our rankings disregard class. Here’s a kid who is 271 points away ... from breaking a 35-year old scoring record held by ... Phil Ford

The last comment:

HSH: Who would you really like to matchup against this AAU season?
TM: Probably Harrison Barnes. He’s the one guy I haven’t played against

Wonder if the staff has been going to games?

DUKIE V(A)
02-04-2010, 02:40 PM
Though I'm sure Coach K and staff have it covered and know what's best for Duke...from a pure hoops standpoint, I would hate for us to miss out on TR. I really like his length, versatility, and potential at the college level.

Jim3k
02-04-2010, 02:40 PM
The last comment:

Wonder if the staff has been going to games?

I think you misunderstood. The reference to 'last comment' was a post in the comments section, not what Mabry said about playing Barnes.

Read that post; then you will understand.

BD80
02-04-2010, 02:53 PM
I think you misunderstood. The reference to 'last comment' was a post in the comments section, not what Mabry said about playing Barnes.

Read that post; then you will understand.

Ah ha! Pronoun trouble!

Now that I have read the last of the posted comments ...

ooooohhh! Won't be reproducing that comment.

Well, I'm betting our staff can investigate and make sound, informed decisions, see Williams, S.

enick66
02-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Though I'm sure Coach K and staff have it covered and know what's best for Duke...from a pure hoops standpoint, I would hate for us to miss out on TR. I really like his length, versatility, and potential at the college level.

He has also moved from a top 75 recruit prior to this season to a top 30 recruit based on his remarkable improvement. Would be the best Harrison Barnes consolation prize of the remaining recruits.

Greg_Newton
02-04-2010, 03:07 PM

I would be very happy with Felix and/or Ross... Teams with active 6'6-6'7 wings that can D-up and play above the rim tends to be good teams. BTW, I saw it posted on another board than Felix didn't start playing organized ball until 9th grade, can anyone comment on that? i.e. is this an Olek situation, versus a kid who just played unorganized ball until he got to high school...

As for Zeigler, I'm just not seeing what need he would fill. I mean, we already have two very talented 2-guards on the roster that come from basketball families (Smith and Curry), not to mention Dawkins, who seems very similar in size and skillset. Add in how heavily we are recruiting Austin Rivers for 2011, who is basically Trey Zeigler 2.0, and I really don't get it.

jimsumner
02-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Zeigler only makes sense if he can play the 3. IMO.

airowe
02-04-2010, 03:47 PM

I agree and I'm not so sure he wants to play strictly the 3. He definitely wants playing time though and we're not going to have much of that for him if Kyle comes back. As long as Kalin Lucas goes pro, I'd say he's a Spartan unless his Dad gets hired somewhere else.

ChicagoCrazy84
02-04-2010, 03:48 PM

Trey Zeigler and Terrence Ross are both listed as SG's so you can say that with both players. Besides, I think that the 2 and 3 are essentially the same position, give or take a few inches. There are so many teams that have the 3 guard lineup and when you potentially have a front line of Mason and Miles Plumlee, I don't think we would have any trouble with matchups.

enick66
02-04-2010, 03:50 PM
I'd say he's a Spartan unless his Dad gets hired somewhere else.

That's what I've heard about Zeigler. Unless a school hires his Dad as an assistant, he will go to Michigan State.

ChicagoCrazy84
02-04-2010, 03:56 PM
That's what I've heard about Zeigler. Unless a school hires his Dad as an assistant, he will go to Michigan State.

Hmmm, so why are we recruiting him?

airowe
02-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Hmmm, so why are we recruiting him?

We're pushing hard to make up ground, but from everything I've read Michigan State is going to be very hard to beat for Zeigler. He likes the area, has a ton of family around there and likes playing in front of them, and Izzo has a quality product to offer and recruits the state of Michigan very well.

Doesn't mean we can't keep trying...

jimsumner
02-04-2010, 04:18 PM
"Besides, I think that the 2 and 3 are essentially the same position, give or take a few inches"

Sometimes. Depends on the personnel. But none of Nolan Smith, Seth Curry, Kyrie Irving or Tyler Thornton is big enough to guard ACC 3s. Dawkins and Zeigler might be, barely. Felix and Ross definitely are.

Felix and Ross are about four inches taller than Smith or Curry. That matters a lot if any of these guys are being asked to guard Chris Singleton or Harrison Barnes on the wing.

Tim1515
02-04-2010, 04:18 PM
The Ross thing is kind of a bummer. Looked like we were in good shape for him and Felix. Ziegler is a longshot from what i've heard.

Looks like there is a good chance it is just Felix. Not ideal...but if Kyle stays and an elite wing signs in 2011 no one will even remember we were after these other guys.

chrisheery
02-04-2010, 04:23 PM
Seems to me Felix would fill the Lance role perfectly. Defensive minded stopper, gets offensive opportunities only off the play of others. The difference is that he can play the wing, hopefully handle the ball a little bit, shoot a little bit, and will allow the Plumlees to play together and clog things up inside on defense. The problem with playing Lance at the three is that the Plumlees aren't ready to score enough for that yet. Maybe next year they will be and Felix will be an ideal fit off the bench to be a guy who guards the 3, gets some rebounds, finishes above the rim, and knocks down an occasional open jumper.

At least he hasn't been in any fights, left his school, or (allegedly) held a gun to anyone. I'm disappointed in how it has turned out with these other guys, but he might turn out to be quite good. Sounds like he has the athleticism anyway.

enick66
02-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Latest WaPo article on Ross. Still no reason for departure from Montrose, but will be enrolling in a AZ prep school next week. Gotta think departure was due to pressure from UM fans, but that is total speculation.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/terrapins-insider/2010/02/terrence_ross_likely_headed_to.html

DUKIE V(A)
02-04-2010, 04:32 PM
Trey Zeigler and Terrence Ross are both listed as SG's so you can say that with both players. Besides, I think that the 2 and 3 are essentially the same position, give or take a few inches. There are so many teams that have the 3 guard lineup and when you potentially have a front line of Mason and Miles Plumlee, I don't think we would have any trouble with matchups.

Having seen Ross play, I would say he has the length and style to fit more of a "3" than a "2." I am sure he could play some "2" in a pinch but I don't know that that's what Duke needs with so many guards next season. I was really excited about the possibility of Ross coming to Duke...hopefully it is still a possibility if that is what Coach K and the staff wants. He's a really, really good player. It is ironic that in the latest Washington Post All-Met Watch, Ross was named one of the five players on the All-Met First Team. Whatever the reason for his transfer, he obviously was excelling on the court. I wish him the best with whatever happens.

Don't know enough about Zeigler to comment about his most natural position in college.

DeBlueDevil
02-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Yea I agree enick. I'm sticking with my thought that he just was getting pressured with his location being close to UMD. Hope I'm right. Like I said I just want to wait this thing out and see what happened. Hopefully everything has been handled correctly by his family. We should find out within the next few days I would think.

BD80
02-04-2010, 04:58 PM
Are Maryland fans worse than WVU fans?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/gamecenter/recap/NCAAB_20100203_PITT@WV/west-virginia-feeds-off-rowdy-crowd-mauls-pitt-in-chippy-game

Several objects were thrown onto the court after Pittsburgh had nearly erased a double-digit deficit, prompting West Virginia coach Bob Huggins to grab the courtside microphone and tell the restless sellout crowd, "That's stupid." ... with 12:08 left, ...

With 5:14 left, ... Pittsburgh assistant coach Tom Herrion was hit with what appeared to be a coin under his right eye. Huggins could be seen asking Herrion, who had a visible bruise under the eye, about it after the game

West Virginia's students were sent several e-mails by a university official in recent weeks over their behavior at games. They were asked to tone down their language after profanities were heard on national TV in a Jan. 23 win over Ohio State. Against Louisville last Saturday, fans chanted the name of a woman that Cardinals coach Rick Pitino admitted having sex with outside his marriage.

As vile and reprovable as Mountaineer fans are, the Terps are worse.

Man, that has got to sting if you are a Terp, to be worse than Mountaineers.

airowe
02-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Yea I agree enick. I'm sticking with my thought that he just was getting pressured with his location being close to UMD. Hope I'm right. Like I said I just want to wait this thing out and see what happened. Hopefully everything has been handled correctly by his family. We should find out within the next few days I would think.

Stu Vetter does not like players decommitting and has a good relationship with Gary Williams. Connect the dots if you want to know what happened.

I'm very high on Felix and what he can bring at the 3 spot. He has "NBA Athleticism" and has had time at USI to work on his ballhandling and outside shooting (his weaknesses coming out of high school.) He's reportedly very coachable, driven, and willing to do the little things needed to succeed he's the kind of guy that's killed us in the past and left us saying "Who is this guy and why didn't we recruit him?"

Tim1515
02-04-2010, 05:37 PM
Stu Vetter does not like players decommitting and has a good relationship with Gary Williams. Connect the dots if you want to know what happened.

I'm very high on Felix and what he can bring at the 3 spot. He has "NBA Athleticism" and has had time at USI to work on his ballhandling and outside shooting (his weaknesses coming out of high school.) He's reportedly very coachable, driven, and willing to do the little things needed to succeed he's the kind of guy that's killed us in the past and left us saying "Who is this guy and why didn't we recruit him?"

No doubt...and he brings a little toughness which we might be missing on the perimeter next year...hard to say without seeing Kyrie, Tyler or Seth play yet.

I think the concern is why no one else seemed to jump on this kid. Once Duke got involved you have to think a lot of schools looked...but no offers from any big programs.

We'll see...sounds like a good kid

JasonEvans
02-05-2010, 02:53 PM
If we have such high academic standards, how do we justify a guy who could not hack it at a public school in Portland, has to be home schooled by his mother, and can't make the grades at a basketball factory in Maryland?

Coach K and Duke have a fabulous track record at recognizing kids who can handle the academics at Duke and those who cannot. There is a long list of kids who were major academic question marks before they came to Duke only to turn into wonderful success stories once they arrived here.

If K and the administration feel Ross can handle Duke and is committed to a Duke education then I trust their judgement on this. I have zero evidence that they make poor decisions in this regard.

-Jason "as for us being desperate-- puh-lease!!" Evans