PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Clemson

TigerTaz
12-29-2009, 08:06 PM
Hello all - I'm a Clemson fan (as I am sure you have already made that connection), and was invited to the board by DevilDeac and also here to support a couple other of my Tiger cohorts who frequent the board. I'm a huge fan of college basketball and I also live in the Raleigh/Durham area so I get to keep up with the Duke happenings quite frequently from the news and from my Duke friends.
I do have a common theme with many of you in that I absolutely despise anything / anyone connected to anything Carolina (North and South). I look forward to the ACC contests getting started. My only concern is wondering why we kick off our ACC campaign (nearly every year) with Duke. I guess that gives us character by making sure we start in the cellar to see how far up we can climb. I at least am hoping this year we can make it a good contest and be close near the end - nothing like a good b-ball game that goes down to the buzzer.
And It seems our streak in baby-blue land will not grow -- nor end -- again this year as we only play them in Lilttlejohn again this year.... but I am looking forward to end that ******** streak soon !! Got to see it end before my heart stops beating on me.
Oh well - enough rambling here. I'm really not one to do much posting, but I do like this forum ... some very good basketball commentary on here.

Thanks for allowing me on the site --- I'm ready for the season to kick in gear!

Go Duke - Go Tigers !!

(ps) if anyone knows of an extra ticket or two for Sunday -- I might be brave (or should that be 'stupid') enough to go watch the game at Cameron. :) Just let me know -- Thanks.

Bob Green
12-29-2009, 08:11 PM
Welcome to DBR. I enjoy hearing the opinions of fans from opposing programs. Oliver Purnell is doing a great job at Clemson and I'm confident you'll will end the Chapel Hill losing streak sometime in the next few years.

jv001
12-29-2009, 09:41 PM
Good to have you here. And I'm in agreement with the unc/tarhole hating Like Bob, I hope your streak ends soon. Like this year. Go Duke!

TigerTaz
12-29-2009, 10:18 PM
Thanks for your hospitality. I too hope that Purnell turns out to be a program builder and stays around a long time as coach K has done at Duke.

Mcluhan
12-29-2009, 10:42 PM
Wow, you sure are showing us exceptional modesty, TigerTaz, as the last time the Devils met the Tigers we were slaughtered 47-74-- and it really wasn't that close!

OZZIE4DUKE
12-29-2009, 10:57 PM
Hello all - I'm a Clemson fan (as I am sure you have already made that connection), and was invited to the board by DevilDeac and also here to support a couple other of my Tiger cohorts who frequent the board.
Welcome TT. Nice first post! Have you read the stickied threads at the top of the main board? Be sure to read the Handy Pocket Reference - it'll explain alot, like my signature :cool:

One question for you, TT: Will you be joining Klemnop in streaking down Franklin Street when your Tigers finally beat carolina in chapel hill? :eek: Inquiring minds want to know! :D

roywhite
12-29-2009, 11:40 PM
Welcome, TigerTaz. We know all about Trevor Booker, unfortunately. Who else is playing well for the Tigers early?

Duke's interior defense is much improved, but this game Sunday will be a huge test.

devildeac
12-30-2009, 08:13 AM
Hello all - I'm a Clemson fan (as I am sure you have already made that connection), and was invited to the board by DevilDeac and also here to support a couple other of my Tiger cohorts who frequent the board. I'm a huge fan of college basketball and I also live in the Raleigh/Durham area so I get to keep up with the Duke happenings quite frequently from the news and from my Duke friends.
I do have a common theme with many of you in that I absolutely despise anything / anyone connected to anything Carolina (North and South). I look forward to the ACC contests getting started. My only concern is wondering why we kick off our ACC campaign (nearly every year) with Duke. I guess that gives us character by making sure we start in the cellar to see how far up we can climb. I at least am hoping this year we can make it a good contest and be close near the end - nothing like a good b-ball game that goes down to the buzzer.
And It seems our streak in baby-blue land will not grow -- nor end -- again this year as we only play them in Lilttlejohn again this year.... but I am looking forward to end that ******** streak soon !! Got to see it end before my heart stops beating on me.
Oh well - enough rambling here. I'm really not one to do much posting, but I do like this forum ... some very good basketball commentary on here.

Thanks for allowing me on the site --- I'm ready for the season to kick in gear!

Go Duke - Go Tigers !!

(ps) if anyone knows of an extra ticket or two for Sunday -- I might be brave (or should that be 'stupid') enough to go watch the game at Cameron. :) Just let me know -- Thanks.

Hey TT,

Glad you finally joined us here. Visit often, post kindly and enjoy the reading.

Oh, and BTW, I don't have any extra tix for Sunday. I don't even have one for myself:(. Yet.

devildeac
12-30-2009, 08:15 AM
Welcome TT. Nice first post! Have you read the stickied threads at the top of the main board? Be sure to read the Handy Pocket Reference - it'll explain alot, like my signature :cool:

One question for you, TT: Will you be joining Klemnop in streaking down Franklin Street when your Tigers finally beat carolina in chapel hill? :eek: Inquiring minds want to know! :D

I know TT. I don't think it would be a pretty sight:rolleyes:. (I keed, I keed)

TigerTaz
01-02-2010, 09:28 AM

I'll be a streakin' .... so HIDE THE KIDS -- it ain't gonna be a pretty site !! :>)

TigerTaz
01-02-2010, 09:32 AM
Welcome, TigerTaz. We know all about Trevor Booker, unfortunately. Who else is playing well for the Tigers early?

Duke's interior defense is much improved, but this game Sunday will be a huge test.

Little Booker shows signs of potential, but still has alot to learn ... he'll get b-ball learnin 101 on Sunday night !!! But by season's end he could be a factor. Johnson needs more confidence in his shot, but once that starts happening, he can be a go-to guy. Some others show flashes, but no consitency other than Big Book! We'll see how quickly they get in gear.

Devilsfan
01-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Didn't a raleigh boy (who went to several diferent high schools until his mama was satisfied) play briefly for clem-son? I think his brother is john walls' future agent. I loved the rick barnes hack a heel play in the roy dome.

TigerTaz
01-02-2010, 09:39 AM
Hey TT,

Glad you finally joined us here. Visit often, post kindly and enjoy the reading.

Oh, and BTW, I don't have any extra tix for Sunday. I don't even have one for myself:(. Yet.

Hey DD --- I finally got the time to jump in here. Then had a short trip back to SC over new years.
Probably best that I not attend Sunday anyway ... not sure the ole ticker is up that THAT much abuse yet. :eek: I can at least walk away from the TV from time to time to recoup.
Just so you are aware .. Every year in Jan / Feb I have many other extra stress tests ... I should probably log those results somewhere. :)

Help keep me straight on here now. Go Tigers !!

TigerTaz
01-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Wow, you sure are showing us exceptional modesty, TigerTaz, as the last time the Devils met the Tigers we were slaughtered 47-74-- and it really wasn't that close!

I've been around many years .. and I know the history .. and I know that one data point never makes a trend. Now don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the big score again, and would truly savor a gloat in it, but that'd be hard for me to count on at this point. But hey -- it's the ACC ...... GO TIGERS :D

devildeac
01-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Hey DD --- I finally got the time to jump in here. Then had a short trip back to SC over new years.
Probably best that I not attend Sunday anyway ... not sure the ole ticker is up that THAT much abuse yet. :eek: I can at least walk away from the TV from time to time to recoup.
Just so you are aware .. Every year in Jan / Feb I have many other extra stress tests ... I should probably log those results somewhere. :)

Help keep me straight on here now. Go Tigers !!

Great idea to keep a play-by-play of your "stress stats" and we can review them in a couple months or so along with the DU-CU gametracker results;).

And BTW, I still don't have tix yet for tomorrow night.:(

TigerTaz
01-02-2010, 09:52 AM
Great idea to keep a play-by-play of your "stress stats" and we can review them in a couple months or so along with the DU-CU gametracker results;).

And BTW, I still don't have tix yet for tomorrow night.:(

I hope you get in ... and if you get an emergency call on your pager during the game .. you'll know I got in too. So bring your running shoes and your bag .. just in case. :D Enjoy - I look forward to the analysis afterwards.

devildeac
01-02-2010, 10:08 AM
I hope you get in ... and if you get an emergency call on your pager during the game .. you'll know I got in too. So bring your running shoes and your bag .. just in case. :D Enjoy - I look forward to the analysis afterwards.

Stay tuned to DBR as there is always a fairly long "in-game" thread which will be "locked" when the game ends, at which time a "post-game" thread will be started. Always some interesting discussions and observations.

NSDukeFan
01-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Little Booker shows signs of potential, but still has alot to learn ... he'll get b-ball learnin 101 on Sunday night !!! But by season's end he could be a factor. Johnson needs more confidence in his shot, but once that starts happening, he can be a go-to guy. Some others show flashes, but no consitency other than Big Book! We'll see how quickly they get in gear.

One question I have is what is going on with Milton Jennings? My impression coming into the year is that he would be an impact player for them even as a freshman. Does he still look good in your opinion and will just take a bit of time, or was he quite overrated? I realize he is only a third of the way into his first year, but I (perhaps mistakenly) expected more. I have not seen him play at all.

TigerTaz
01-02-2010, 12:46 PM
One question I have is what is going on with Milton Jennings? My impression coming into the year is that he would be an impact player for them even as a freshman. Does he still look good in your opinion and will just take a bit of time, or was he quite overrated? I realize he is only a third of the way into his first year, but I (perhaps mistakenly) expected more. I have not seen him play at all.

We all had hoped that the whole freshman class -- predominantly Jennings -- would be in gear by now. There have been some signs of his potential. But from game to game, there is no consistency as of yet. I for one, hope that the competition through the first round of ACC games will get Jennings -- and the others -- to up their anti up on their potential. Little Book will also be able to be a force inside once he learns to get more aggressive inside. The talent is there I do believe for Jennings, Johnson, and Booker to be playmakers this year -- let's see how much drive they have inside.

gofurman
01-02-2010, 06:17 PM
We all had hoped that the whole freshman class -- predominantly Jennings -- would be in gear by now. There have been some signs of his potential. But from game to game, there is no consistency as of yet. I for one, hope that the competition through the first round of ACC games will get Jennings -- and the others -- to up their anti up on their potential. Little Book will also be able to be a force inside once he learns to get more aggressive inside. The talent is there I do believe for Jennings, Johnson, and Booker to be playmakers this year -- let's see how much drive they have inside.

so , at this point, I assume we fear Booker (obviously) and then Stitt the most? Or Tanner Smith? Who are threats 2 and 3 to fear from Clemsn? BTW, after Duke I pull for Clemson - see my name....

I always temper my expectations of freshman (heralded or not) - and that seems to be applying to CU this year. I think ( imho ) losing oglesby (with rivers) hurt more than Tiger fans thought.

airowe
01-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Just saw Miles and Perky in North Point. I'll just say I think the team is ready for revenge!

OZZIE4DUKE
01-02-2010, 07:00 PM
I'll be a streakin' .... so HIDE THE KIDS -- it ain't gonna be a pretty site !! :>)
Oh, Klemnop! Paging Klemnop!

TigerTaz
01-03-2010, 12:33 PM
so , at this point, I assume we fear Booker (obviously) and then Stitt the most? Or Tanner Smith? Who are threats 2 and 3 to fear from Clemsn? BTW, after Duke I pull for Clemson - see my name....

I always temper my expectations of freshman (heralded or not) - and that seems to be applying to CU this year. I think ( imho ) losing oglesby (with rivers) hurt more than Tiger fans thought.

You are correct about the loss of Oglesby -- no one has yet stepped up to fill that void. Stitt and Smith are definitely experienced enough help carry the weight .. but still Smith doesn't have the confidence to carry the outside shot when really needed. And Stitt, can still be very dangerous when he starts to drive the lane, but also on the other hand -- can be very "dangerous" (when he drives out of control). Potter, with experience and talent, has also not stepped up with the confidence and consistency needed for the outside threat. And Grant on the inside -- will still have games in double figures --- and games to 2 points.
I think lack of the growth and consistent playmakers (out side of Big Book) has been the disappointment at this stage. I am hoping that soon this will change -- like maybe tonight. :D