PDA

View Full Version : Hoops viewing on Fox Sports

Jarhead
12-29-2009, 03:29 PM
A dispute between Fox and Time Warner Cable may deny us as many as four Duke games for the remainder of the season, and whatever other ACC games on Fox Sports in which we may have an interest. TWC has a site in which they explain things from their side (http://rolloverorgettough.com/home), but I am only interested in my side. How will I watch those game if we can't get Fox Sports on Time Warner Cable? We can lose Fox Sports sometime after Jan 31. I really don't care about either of these two outfits. Just show me the games.

Stray Gator
12-29-2009, 04:14 PM
A dispute between Fox and Time Warner Cable may deny us as many as four Duke games for the remainder of the season, and whatever other ACC games on Fox Sports in which we may have an interest. TWC has a site in which they explain things from their side (http://rolloverorgettough.com/home), but I am only interested in my side. How will I watch those game if we can't get Fox Sports on Time Warner Cable? We can lose Fox Sports sometime after Jan 31. I really don't care about either of these two outfits. Just show me the games.

The same dispute threatens Fox broadcast service to BrightHouse Cable viewers in central Florida. But the fact that failure to resolve the dispute would result in blacking out the Sugar Bowl game to millions of rabid Gator fans in the Tampa and Orlando areas, and that we had a similar dispute at the same time last year that somehow got settled before the telecast went dark, leaves me feeling fairly confident that they'll find a way to work things out in the nick of time.

BlueDevilBaby
12-29-2009, 04:15 PM
I can't find it on comcast either.

grossbus
12-29-2009, 04:17 PM
stray, have you noticed that here in central florida (where are you, anyway?) fox sports south on brighthouse (i call them dimhouse) has evolved into fox sports florida which carries nothing of interest?

mgtr
12-29-2009, 04:24 PM
Hey, guys -- just switch to Directv, see every game with no problems. If you are lucky, you might even save a buck or two over cable.

Got_Duke
12-29-2009, 04:24 PM
yeah ... i can't find it anywhere on the comcast listings

and i guess fox sports south is diff from FSN b/c sometimes i can get the FSN games on comcast sports net

direct TV people? how are you faring?

i hate when games aren't on TV

msdukie
12-29-2009, 04:25 PM
stray, have you noticed that here in central florida (where are you, anyway?) fox sports south on brighthouse (i call them dimhouse) has evolved into fox sports florida which carries nothing of interest?

Stray and I are both in Tampa. FS Florida has never been FS South. FS South was always in Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina and South Carolina (there are now two separate additional feeds of FS South which are FS Carolinas and FS Tennessee in those respective areas instead of FS South, but are run as part of FS South).

As for FS Florida showing nothing of interest, I find ACC Sunday Night Hoops, Rays games and Lightning games of great interest.

msdukie
12-29-2009, 04:26 PM
Tonight's game is on DirecTV, just like UNC-G. I believe it is channel 640. For those of you in Tampa, we will be at Press Box tonight right before 7.

CameronBornAndBred
12-29-2009, 04:27 PM
Hey, guys -- just switch to Directv, see every game with no problems. If you are lucky, you might even save a buck or two over cable.
I have DirecTV, but I got bit in the azz when Duke played Kansas on Versus in football this year. There seems to always be one channel/ carrier dispute.
I thought the FOX thing only applied to FOX's regular broadcast channel?

Stray Gator
12-29-2009, 04:28 PM

My wife and I live in Tampa, and my daughter is in Orlando, so we're all on BrightHouse--which, IMO, is by a wide margin the best cable service we've ever had (including Comcast and TWC). In fact, our service was recently upgraded so that we now have more than 100 HD channels, and our internet speeds were doubled, all without additional charge. How rare is that?

We subscribe to a "Sports Package" in Tampa that provides us about a half-dozen or more Fox Sports channels (and a bunch of others I never watch), so I haven't noticed the programming changes you're describing.

Incidentally, I just spotted an article reporting that an Orlando lawyer representing a group of Gator fans is suing the parent company of Fox to obtain a court order requiring that the Sugar Bowl game be telecast. Love those rowdy reptiles!

http://www.cfnews13.com/Business/LocalBusinessHeadlines/2009/12/29/attorney_to_file_suit_in_fox_bright_house_dispute. html

grossbus
12-29-2009, 04:34 PM
"As for FS Florida showing nothing of interest, I find ACC Sunday Night Hoops, Rays games and Lightning games of great interest."

mike, when the dispute between dimhouse, fox and the other party involved was finally resolved, my listing was FSN and i got all those acc sunday games and acc women's games that i was missing before.

since the listing changed to FSFl, i have not seen one ACC-related game carried on it.

msdukie
12-29-2009, 04:38 PM
CORRECTION: CHANNELS 645 AND 646 FOR TONIGHT.

As for FS FL, I have gotten all of the ACC Sunday Night Hoops games in Tampa, plus various RSN games on FS Florida and Sun Sports. Not sure why you can't find them. Nothing has changed in the past few years other than Bright House changing the name of the channel on the channel guide.

Stray Gator
12-29-2009, 05:04 PM
CORRECTION: CHANNELS 645 AND 646 FOR TONIGHT.

As for FS FL, I have gotten all of the ACC Sunday Night Hoops games in Tampa, plus various RSN games on FS Florida and Sun Sports. Not sure why you can't find them. Nothing has changed in the past few years other than Bright House changing the name of the channel on the channel guide.

Right--we've been getting the Sunday night ACC basketball games regularly since they started, even before we added the "Sports Package" channels. On BrightHouse Tampa Cable, however, I believe the FSN broadcasts of ACC games may now be carried on the Sunshine Network, which is Channel 31 in SD and Channel 719 in HD. According to the listings online, the Xavier-Wake game and the Clemson-Duke game next Sunday night will be carried on those channels.

Jackson
12-29-2009, 05:27 PM
I'm in Jacksonville and each time Fox Sports South is listed as the carrier for the game, I don't get it. I get the Sunday night games on Fox, but sadly not the game tonight. I wish ESPNU would catch it.

brickey
12-29-2009, 05:34 PM

TWC customers: using the link above, you can enter your zip code into an embedded tool (upper-right of the page) to see which Fox-affiliated channels are at risk.

I checked several Triangle area zip codes, and all results were the same..... Good news for ACC hoops and Canes fans, potentially bad news for reality TV, drag racing, and euro league junk heads. (Go to 'http://rolloverorgettough.com/zipcode/27707' and see channel listings to the right.)

Sorry BrightHouse customers, but my research stopped there.

grossbus
12-29-2009, 05:50 PM
"We subscribe to a "Sports Package" in Tampa that provides us about a half-dozen or more Fox Sports channels"

well, in the orlando area, we get FSFl and Fox soccer and that's it.

dahainz
12-29-2009, 05:56 PM
Anyone know of any way to catch the game on the internet? I seem to remember there was some internet site that you watch various channels on being discussed on this board previously.

Thanks

msdukie
12-29-2009, 06:13 PM
"We subscribe to a "Sports Package" in Tampa that provides us about a half-dozen or more Fox Sports channels"

well, in the orlando area, we get FSFl and Fox soccer and that's it.

Bright House Orlando should have the same "sports pack", that will give you Fox College Sports Atlantic, FCS Central, FCS Pacific, Tennis Channel and a number of other channels. In Tampa, they are in the 800s. It is only a few dollars a month. The FCS's show the Sunday Night games, RSN (but not FS South) games, ACC Live, and Cut and K's coaches shows at 9:30 a.m. on Saturdays, plus lots of other college sports.

grossbus
12-29-2009, 07:01 PM
"Bright House Orlando should have the same "sports pack", that will give you Fox College Sports Atlantic, FCS Central, FCS Pacific, Tennis Channel and a number of other channels."

and do any of these have tonight's game???

WiJoe
12-29-2009, 07:07 PM
I had the good fortune to speak with a very nice woman from fox sports south yesterday. She told me the regional games are not shown out of ACC markets. So for me, living just outside the ACC area in wisconsin (ahem), no Duke for me. (Nor for you other unluckys outside the ACC)

chrisheery
12-29-2009, 07:17 PM
I had the good fortune to speak with a very nice woman from fox sports south yesterday. She told me the regional games are not shown out of ACC markets. So for me, living just outside the ACC area in wisconsin (ahem), no Duke for me. (Nor for you other unluckys outside the ACC)

Well, I live in Bethesda and I am not getting it either. Pretty annoying.

Indoor66
12-29-2009, 07:17 PM

Gee, I am in the Miami market and I don't get the game on Fox.

WiJoe
12-29-2009, 07:18 PM
Gee, I am in the Miami market and I don't get the game on Fox.

OK, being old and forgetful, maybe nobody outside Durham gets to see it. Sorry. I know, it s*cks.

BlueintheFace
12-29-2009, 07:25 PM
Can somebody explain to me why fox sports south programming is not available in the south?

grossbus
12-29-2009, 07:31 PM
yeah, i am between miami and tallahassee. bogus.

Stray Gator
12-29-2009, 07:40 PM
"Bright House Orlando should have the same "sports pack", that will give you Fox College Sports Atlantic, FCS Central, FCS Pacific, Tennis Channel and a number of other channels."

and do any of these have tonight's game???

Tonight's game is not being televised on any BrightHouse channel in Tampa, so I doubt you'll get it in Orlando.

dmac2681
12-29-2009, 07:43 PM
I live in Denver. I signed up for the sports pack with DIRECTV today to ONLY to watch DUKE games that I can't watch on ESPN, CBS, etc. I watched them all last year on FSS while in Denver. When I turned it on today, DIRECTV had the game blacked out! I called DIRECTV for an explanation. The only thing they could say is...."maybe they didn't sell enough tickets". ARE YOU KIDDING ME? This is ridiculous!!!!

grossbus
12-29-2009, 08:21 PM
When I turned it on today, DIRECTV had the game blacked out! I called DIRECTV for an explanation. The only thing they could say is...."maybe they didn't sell enough tickets". ARE YOU KIDDING ME? This is ridiculous!!!!

Now, THAT's bogus!!

Lord Ash
12-29-2009, 08:32 PM
Game here:

http://www.justin.tv/alvintostigsson#r=3JpKCNk

mapei
12-29-2009, 09:09 PM
I watched on DirecTV in the DC area, no problem at all. It was actually on more than one channel. Not sure what the fuss is about!

Jarhead
12-29-2009, 10:34 PM
I live in Southern Pines NC, about 70 miles South of Durham and Raleigh, but we always get the same lineup down here, even though we are in a different region of Time Warner. That's cool, but my complaint is that Fox Sports, more often than not, shows ACC games in standard definition on both the SD and HD channels. Did anybody watch tonights game in HD? I guess Fox has a problem with high technology.

DU82
12-29-2009, 10:38 PM
Well, I live in Bethesda and I am not getting it either. Pretty annoying.

You're out of the ACC area. That's the problem living in Alaska. Just ask Gary. ;)

msdukie
12-29-2009, 10:54 PM
The game was available on FS South on DirecTV, even out of the market. I've heard numerous people say they could not get it (or UNC-G). I was able to watch both games at my local sports bar with DirecTV in Tampa, which is out of market for FS South (the FS South market is Georgia, Tennessee, NC, SC), hence why there is an FS Florida.

Newton_14
12-29-2009, 10:59 PM
I live in Southern Pines NC, about 70 miles South of Durham and Raleigh, but we always get the same lineup down here, even though we are in a different region of Time Warner. That's cool, but my complaint is that Fox Sports, more often than not, shows ACC games in standard definition on both the SD and HD channels. Did anybody watch tonights game in HD? I guess Fox has a problem with high technology.

They only broadcast in SD for tonights game. I have DishNetwork and it was on the SD channel but not the HD channel. Luckily the Sunday Night ACC games are always in HD.

Newton_14
12-29-2009, 11:01 PM
I have DirecTV, but I got bit in the azz when Duke played Kansas on Versus in football this year. There seems to always be one channel/ carrier dispute.
I thought the FOX thing only applied to FOX's regular broadcast channel?

I have Dish Network and we get the Versus channel so I was able to watch the Duke/Kansas game in HD. But it's a trade off. I think you Direct TV guys get ESPNU in HD and Dish Network is still not offering that in my region. There is always a catch no matter which of these services we choose it seems.

Grey Devil
12-30-2009, 12:50 AM
I've had DirecTV in California for over a decade and up until last year I could always watch Duke games whenever they were on the Fox Sports network (for an additional monthly fee). I would make sure I got the extra service at the beginning of each season and turn it off after the NCAA Championship game.

Then last year two games were blacked out (can't remember which ones now). This year, for some reason, both games that Duke has had on Fox have been blacked out for me. It was especially aggravating for the Long Beach game becasue they are a California team (California State University at Long Beach is their official name). One would think that Fox would want to provide a feed to California for a California team....!

But I'm not optimistic that I'll see any more the rest of the season. I'm especially P.O'd because when I signed up on the phone for the service I had a very specific conversation with the DirecTV person about how I do this every year for B-ball season. She told me she was a huge basketball fan, too, and could relate. Then I made the mistake of asking her who she rooted for -- tuns out she was a Carolina fan! :eek: Now I'm wondering if I'll get to see any of the Sunday Fox ACC games, which I always enjoyed watching.

Sigh.....

Grey Devil

moonpie23
12-30-2009, 10:17 AM
TWC is ALWAYS in dispute with SOMEONE about SOMETHING..

dukeENG2003
12-30-2009, 10:47 AM
the fact that NFL network STILL isn't available on TWC is laughable to me.

The ONLY time I've ever seen DirecTV in a fight is with Versus, which is hardly a big loss (probably why they decided to put their foot down); no reason to raise the price of my sports package for a channel that I never watch. For the sports fan, DirecTV>TWC, hands down.

diesel
12-30-2009, 11:46 AM
I'm in northern Virginia and I have missed 3 Duke games on the big tube this year-2 on Fox Sports South and one on CBS.

I get Verizon Fios and their Fox sports package includes everything except Fox Sports South.

It would have been news to the Army of Northern Virginia that my area is not considered part of the South!

And the local CBS channel spent the whole day of the Gonzaga game talking about a snow storm. As a Canadian, I can't understand the local fascination with the white stuff. Why can't CBS have a back up channel for those of us with other interests?

Separately, I watched the Long Beach State game on the small screen as provided by someone who was getting a feed from Fox Sports South. I keep wondering if this is legal.

I used to get Direct TV but unfortunately their renewal rate for the condo was such that we dropped their coverage--and I'm a member of the condo board.

Are we dealing with market failure here? We now have Government Motors. Would Government TV provide access to all Blue Devil Basketball as a public service?

CLT Devil
12-30-2009, 02:47 PM

Just in the last 6 months we started to get FSN in HD here in Charlotte. I remember TWC having the same dispute with similar channel providers last year...and by a miracle they worked it out at the 11th hour. Knowing TWC all too well I know this is a way to butter up the subscribers to 'share in the costs' that poor little TWC has to now pay.

I dunno, I looked into Directv and it didn't seem much better, as I need my RoadRunner high speed internet and cable phone, so the bundle works out best.

I don't want to jinx anything, but I have a feeling that something will get worked out...there is too much at stake for both sides, although I would not be surprised in the least if the rate goes up again. What can you do........

Kimist
12-31-2009, 12:21 AM
TWC is ALWAYS in dispute with SOMEONE about SOMETHING..

Agreed - I'm still tussling with them over their "free HD" advertising.

It's free IF you rent their box, their remote, and pay extra for the digital tier. (Adds close to $25/month extra for the free HD.)

Does anyone know whether a cable card (TWC - RDU area) is a viable option? I did hear they charge ~$30 for a visit to "install" it, which consists of plugging it in and making a couple of telephone calls.

k

Jim3k
12-31-2009, 02:34 AM
Agreed - I'm still tussling with them over their "free HD" advertising.

It's free IF you rent their box, their remote, and pay extra for the digital tier. (Adds close to $25/month extra for the free HD.)

Does anyone know whether a cable card (TWC - RDU area) is a viable option? I did hear they charge ~$30 for a visit to "install" it, which consists of plugging it in and making a couple of telephone calls.

k

I have an HD cable card for my HD Tivo and my provider charges for it monthly the same as for a cable box. I don't think you can buy a card; you have to rent it. (Disadvantage of a card: you can't use the provider's interactive features.) As for the install, you might be able to do it yourself and make the calls yourself. I certainly learned how with my Tivo. HD cards at the time were new and the provider didn't have much experience with them and the company's first two efforts failed, so I did it myself (with them on the line). They eventually got it right. Putting it into the right slot is very easy. They just have to ping it to activate it.