PDA

View Full Version : Urban Meyer Stepping Down as UF Coach?!?!?!

Channing
12-26-2009, 06:54 PM
Just heard it reported on the Meineke Car Care Bowl broadcast ... anyone with anymore details? I am sure they will come out.

soccerstud2210
12-26-2009, 07:42 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4772952

Duvall
12-26-2009, 08:04 PM
Wow, that is stunning. I can't recall anything like this happening before.

G man
12-26-2009, 08:08 PM
I have to admit I cannot stand Florida, but that being said you hate to see someone leaving the game they love for health reasons. It is a sad story and I hope he gets a chance to get healthy and coach again soon!

soccerstud2210
12-26-2009, 08:16 PM
I have to admit I cannot stand Florida, but that being said you hate to see someone leaving the game they love for health reasons. It is a sad story and I hope he gets a chance to get healthy and coach again soon!

i agree wholeheartedly. i despise florida, but when it comes to health and things more than sports you just hope and pray all is well.

i was watching espn and holtz and may were discussing this. apparently he has a cyst on his brain. and they arent sure exactly anything about it but it does cause him much discomfort with stress

Mike Corey
12-26-2009, 09:01 PM
i agree wholeheartedly. i despise florida, but when it comes to health and things more than sports you just hope and pray all is well.

i was watching espn and holtz and may were discussing this. apparently he has a cyst on his brain. and they arent sure exactly anything about it but it does cause him much discomfort with stress

He had a cyst on his brain a few years back.

At present, the issue is related to a defective heart valve. The problem, according to reports, is not immediately life-threatening.

soccerstud2210
12-26-2009, 11:37 PM
He had a cyst on his brain a few years back.

At present, the issue is related to a defective heart valve. The problem, according to reports, is not immediately life-threatening.

so he is not suffering from any affects of the cyst now?

mph
12-27-2009, 12:20 AM
Kirk Herbstreet talked to Meyer after the announcement and he reports that Meyer's heart is physically fine and that his chest pains are stress related. It's a shame he has to step down but I admire his willingness to walk away from a lucrative job for the sake of his health. I wonder how many college football and basketball coaches have ignored similar signs that they are under too much stress?

Acymetric
12-27-2009, 12:43 AM
Kirk Herbstreet talked to Meyer after the announcement and he reports that Meyer's heart is physically fine and that his chest pains are stress related. It's a shame he has to step down but I admire his willingness to walk away from a lucrative job for the sake of his health. I wonder how many college football and basketball coaches have ignored similar signs that they are under too much stress?

Well, he's walking away from a lucrative job, and taking a new (less lucrative, but still substantial) job at Florida, presumably a less stressful one.

Still, its a shame to see this happen, it'll be interesting to see what happens in the coaching ranks now...

DukieBoy
12-27-2009, 01:07 AM
I thought he was retiring because his son was leaving Florida this season (Tim Tebow) :D

Just kidding. In all honesty, this is very sad. Meyer seemed to be one of the best in college football and was still at the top. To see him step down is one thing. To do it because of his health is not only sad, but somewhat scary. Just think how bad of a problem it must be for him to step down.

Devilsfan
12-27-2009, 01:13 AM
They need someone with big time coaching experience, maybe a stint in the pros, and now perhaps trying to build a national contender but this time not with someone elses talent already in place. Who could that be.. Maybe the Pitt coach?

geraldsneighbor
12-27-2009, 01:20 AM
how lucky we have been to have had a great coach lead us for now 30 years. Just tough to imagine life without K like Florida will now go through without Meyer. Wish the best for Urban and his family.

billy
12-27-2009, 08:55 AM
It will be interesting to see if Meyer gets anywhere near the crap that K did when he took time off for health reasons. Somehow I doubt it...

miramar
12-27-2009, 10:00 AM
One article in the Gainesville Sun indicates that fortunately the situation is not life threatening, but another article says that after the Alabama game he suffered severe chest pains and lost consciousness:

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20091227/ARTICLES/912279997/1139?Title=Meyer-God-was-telling-me-I-have-to-slow-down-and-stop-it-

I think he's making the right decision and I wish him the best.

Here's the first article:

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20091227/ARTICLES/912271007/1139?Title=Announcement-brings-stunning-end-to-Meyer-era

I find it interesting that as the sportswriters begin to consider Meyer's potential replacements, no one seems to be thinking about bringing back Steve Spurrier. It seems that in only five years Meyer has made everyone in Gainesville forget about the old ball coach.

Mike Corey
12-27-2009, 03:34 PM
New reports that Meyer is wavering, and may now take a mere leave of absence...

Presser this afternoon should reveal some more.

freedevil
12-27-2009, 04:47 PM
The University of Florida: where apparently decisiveness is not particularly important. See Donovan, Billy; Meyer, Urban.

PumpkinFunk
12-27-2009, 05:00 PM
The University of Florida: where apparently decisiveness is not particularly important. See Donovan, Billy; Meyer, Urban.

Urban Meyer: The new Brett Favre ;)

freedevil
12-27-2009, 07:53 PM
^ nice!

Heelkiller1
12-27-2009, 08:24 PM
I bet Notre Dame is glad they didn't get him after all.lol

Channing
12-27-2009, 10:20 PM
perhaps by taking a leave of absence, rather than by resigning, he can remain an employee of the university and maintain health insurance. I assume it would be pretty hard for him to get new insurance giving his preexisting condition.

Devilsfan
12-28-2009, 10:47 AM
Brett Farve really started something.

sagegrouse
12-28-2009, 11:57 PM
perhaps by taking a leave of absence, rather than by resigning, he can remain an employee of the university and maintain health insurance. I assume it would be pretty hard for him to get new insurance giving his preexisting condition.

I believe the deal between Meyer and UF, now overtaken by events, was that he would remain a university official of some kind -- presumably fund-raising and public relations -- which would have kept him on the benefits plan.

sagegrouse

roywhite
12-29-2009, 12:24 AM
Brett Farve really started something.

Could be, or, after watching a good practice, Urban was channeling Emily Litella:

"Never mind."

Strange.