PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Prospect Carrick Felix

Pages : [1] 2

roywhite
12-25-2009, 01:11 PM
http://duke.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1032056

New name surfacing as Duke seeks to add an athletic mid-sized wing prospect to it's 2010 list of recruits. Carrick Felix is a 6'6" "ultra-athletic" wing who is currently playing at the College of Southern Idaho. Recruiting a Juco player would be new ground for Coach K.

The link is a rivals.com premium article; have also seen this name mentioned in other forums.

Saratoga2
12-25-2009, 03:15 PM
This kid hurt his hand the first year and will play JC ball this year leaving him 3 years of eligibility. I don't know a lot about his academics or how me might fit at Duke. Interesting nevertheless.

Devilsfan
12-25-2009, 03:19 PM
Maybe Coach Cut did something to wake us up, finally findiing a talented and "intelligent" juco. If this candidate is a player and not just a gymnast like Moore or Cz... then bring him on and let him shut down unc's next year's Lebron. What's another $55,000/year amongst friends?

JasonEvans
12-25-2009, 03:28 PM
Wow-- color me surprised. A number of sites are reporting this -- Rivals, Scout, Hoopmasters... Scout says Nate James is leading the recruitment effort.

I found this article (http://tulsa.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?ReturnTo=&sid=&script=content.asp&cid=804965&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=) from a couple years ago that says he got an 18 on his ACT. Ummm, that would put him in something like the 35th-40th percentile. According to Duke (http://www.admissions.duke.edu/jump/applying/who_2010profile.html), the middle range of ACT scores for Duke students is 30-34, which is just above the 95th percentile of kids taking the test. Still, plenty of article on him talk about how hard he has worked at his game and in the classroom to get to where he is now, with several high-major program looking at him. K has an excellent track record of bringing in kids who can compete athletically and academically. I see no reason to lose faith his his ability to judge that now.

Felix is an interesting prospect as he was a meical redshirt his freshman year so he is going to "graduate" from his Juco after just one year of basketball and would, in theory, have 3 years of elligibility left wherever he goes to play NCAA Division I ball.

He certainly would appear to be a dose of what we need-- size and athleticism on the wing. Interesting to see how this story develops.

--Jason "plenty of rival boards are playing this as a desperation move... I see it as K casting a wide net as so many have wanted him to for so long" Evans

roywhite
12-25-2009, 05:27 PM
Some things I liked in reading about Felix:

1. Hard work and determination..."hard worker" "works hard" "has improved his game"---numerous mentions like this in writeups and scouting reports
2. Has a talent and passion for defense
3. Has also "worked hard" on his academics and is on the college honor roll
4. Comes from a military family---father is in the US Air Force. Gotta think that Nate James and Coach K will relate very well to this young man.

CSI (College of Southern Idaho) to CIS (Cameron Indoor Stadium)?....well, maybe. :)

Jim3k
12-25-2009, 06:19 PM
Wow. Getting better in Twin Falls, ID? More power to him, no matter where he chooses to go.

Twin Falls is pretty close to the most remote backwater with regular air service as there is in the US. (No -- don't show me some place more remote; I'm sure there are some.) In the late 1960's I tried one of my first cases in Twin Falls and I have some nice memories from that time. But it's a long way to Boise or Salt Lake City from there. (Pocatello to the east is a 2 hour drive.) And not much in between -- there is a breadbasket known as the Magic Valley in southern Idaho (west of Twin Falls) and while that is of value, for a college student, the area doesn't offer much. That's no doubt a good thing for a kid trying to get it right.

I'm a big fan of community colleges, particularly those in California. They allow the slow developers time to grow up and feed their motivation. One of my children took that route; it gave him time to grow up and realize the value of a college education. He took the 10-year plan, including some work years, but he's got a BA degree from a major university.

If Mr. Felix can do the same, no matter where he plays college ball, he will have accomplished something that probably was not expected from his high school performance. (18 ACT is not a predictor for success.) Something has now clicked with this kid. That's all to the good.

Greg_Newton
12-25-2009, 06:30 PM
I'm surprised at how much hate he's getting on other boards. If K thinks he's the level of player that we could use at the wing spot, I trust that... especially with what just happened with Olek. I'd be pretty thrilled with either him, Roscoe, or Mabry, because even in the worse case scenario it gives our smaller, talented wings a tough, athletic 6'6 wing to practice against... which, if the past is any indication, is certainly something that would be helpful.

Plus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqDpO8AG4rE&feature=related :)

Kedsy
12-25-2009, 09:21 PM
I'm surprised at how much hate he's getting on other boards.

You mean other Duke boards? What kind of hate?

Greg_Newton
12-26-2009, 12:20 AM
You mean other Duke boards? What kind of hate?

Yea, other Duke boards. Maybe not "hate", just a lot of negative comments based solely on the fact that he's coming from a juco. While I agree that it raises questions about how ready he is for Duke on and off the court, I see no reason to rush to judge....

Plus, judging from the video in my previous post he'd probably be the best athlete on our team if he came. So, given that the raw tools are clearly there, I'm pretty comfortable letting K and the Duke admissions office evaluate the rest of his basketball and academic credentials.

ice-9
12-26-2009, 12:53 AM
Doesn't look good for Roscoe Smith....

-bdbd
12-26-2009, 02:23 AM
Wow-- color me surprised. A number of sites are reporting this -- Rivals, Scout, Hoopmasters... Scout says Nate James is leading the recruitment effort.

I found this article (http://tulsa.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?ReturnTo=&sid=&script=content.asp&cid=804965&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=) from a couple years ago that says he got an 18 on his ACT. Ummm, that would put him in something like the 35th-40th percentile.... Still, plenty of article on him talk about how hard he has worked at his game and in the classroom to get to where he is now, with several high-major program looking at him. K has an excellent track record of bringing in kids who can compete athletically and academically. I see no reason to lose faith his his ability to judge that now...

He certainly would appear to be a dose of what we need-- size and athleticism on the wing. Interesting to see how this story develops.

--Jason "plenty of rival boards are playing this as a desperation move... I see it as K casting a wide net as so many have wanted him to for so long" Evans

Gotta agree with Jason here. Given K's stature, I believe that he could have gone the Juco route in earlier years if so inclined, but has obviously chosen not to (while most of the ACC does). I suspect it is as much image-based as any real belief that Juco kids can't make it at Duke. If K believes in him, and his ability to make it athletically and academically on a bigger stage, then I'm fine with it. Might even "toughen up" the squad, if not our "soft" rep.

I am worried as well about what this signals re Roscoe Smith, as well as TZ (Zeigler). Also, since we seem so eager for a mid-sized athlete in 2010, have the coaches decided that there is such a critical need there that someone like Dawkins or Ryan or a already-comitted freshman can't cover? I'm sure everyone thinks this is about countering HB, but I've never known K to recruit to match-up against one other team.

Interesting signals here...
:rolleyes:

Jderf
12-26-2009, 10:40 AM
I don't know if this speaks poorly to our chances with Roscoe. Although the fact that K seems to be looking for other options does lend itself well to the inference that Roscoe is looking elsewhere, it could just be that K knows (like the rest of us) that these kids are making tough decisions that are hard to predict. K has learned some tough lessons over the years and is probably just trying to get the best player he can to fill the position by spreading a wide net. It does not mean that he has given up on Roscoe.

Also, I hope we get this kid even if he is terrible. His name is just too cool. Carrick Felix. It just rolls off the tongue; you know that would look good on a duke jersey.

- jderf

SupaDave
12-26-2009, 10:51 AM
One small point to add. Don't forget that K told Roscoe he wanted him AND HB. Based on this, I don't think it's out of the question that we could end up with two of the three players in Ziegler, Smith, and Felix.

airowe
12-26-2009, 11:04 AM
One small point to add. Don't forget that K told Roscoe he wanted him AND HB. Based on this, I don't think it's out of the question that we could end up with two of the three players in Ziegler, Smith, and Felix.

You can add Ta'Shawn Mabry in that mix as well. Clearly, Coach K has been burned by early entry decisions before and wants to CYA in case something unexpected occurs. I'm sure we're looking at not only next year, but the following years to solidify a position which would be our most glaring hole to fill. If we have the scholarships to offer, why not fill them.

With the departure of Olek Czyz, that leaves Duke with 10 recruited scholarship players for next year, with 3 to fill. That's assuming everyone comes back (including Kyle Singler.)

Looking out 1 more year, we lose Nolan Smith and Kyle Singler (if they haven't already gone) with no one on the books as of yet. We're sitting at 8 recruited scholarship players. Nobody wants that.

Athletic wing forwards who could be characterized as role players have been prominent figures on some of K's most successful teams. I like the thinking here.

RelativeWays
12-26-2009, 05:04 PM
I feel pretty confident that we'll land Mabry, the second scholy is Oleks so that will either be Roscoe or Felix. I don't think we get Zeigler.

Devilsfan
12-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Until now we have always had an abundance of quick talented wings. I say if the juco is not academically challenged sign him up.

SupaDave
12-26-2009, 08:08 PM
Until now we have always had an abundance of quick talented wings. I say if the juco is not academically challenged sign him up.

Considering the pros that K has worked with I can understand the fondness for wings...

Azdukefan
12-27-2009, 12:06 AM
This thread scares the "tar" out of me. Being a Phoenix guy, I have had the opportunity to see Carrick and never considered him to have the ability level to compete at the highest level. He seems like a good kid but not one that I would be excited about bringing in. Maybe there has been a level of development recently that I haven't seen but I am thinking overall, this is a bad sign for where our recruiting is headed. Somebody tell me I'm way off base please!

MChambers
12-27-2009, 01:11 PM
This thread scares the "tar" out of me. Being a Phoenix guy, I have had the opportunity to see Carrick and never considered him to have the ability level to compete at the highest level. He seems like a good kid but not one that I would be excited about bringing in. Maybe there has been a level of development recently that I haven't seen but I am thinking overall, this is a bad sign for where our recruiting is headed. Somebody tell me I'm way off base please!

;)

I think there are several reasons not to see this as a bad sign. First, with Czyz leaving, Duke has room for two wings in the 2010 class.

Second, it seems that Duke is evaluating him, not necessarily making him an offer.

Third, as you suggest, maybe Felix has had substantial development. It happens. Some kids are late bloomers. How recently have you seen him?

Fourth, give the coaching staff for casting a wide net.

fgb
12-27-2009, 01:28 PM
i agree that felix seems more likely a replacement for czyz than an alternative to smith, etc. it would make sense in this scenario that he would be lees developed/game ready; k has always seemed to have one or two "projects" on the roster, guys he likes to bring along slowly who don't really contribute a lot until their junior year, at the soonest.

ChicagoCrazy84
12-27-2009, 03:51 PM
;)

I think there are several reasons not to see this as a bad sign. First, with Czyz leaving, Duke has room for two wings in the 2010 class.

Second, it seems that Duke is evaluating him, not necessarily making him an offer.

Third, as you suggest, maybe Felix has had substantial development. It happens. Some kids are late bloomers. How recently have you seen him?

Fourth, give the coaching staff for casting a wide net.

Exactly, remember Jamal Tinsley? He came from a JUCO school, went to Iowa St and had a great career with the Pacers and maybe a few other teams. He was on my fantasy team a few teams in fact. Anyway, Tinsley never even played high school ball! There are lots of diamonds in the rough type players. Remember Saul Smith? Started 2-3 years at UK and wasn't even a top 500 prospect. Adam Emmenecker from Drake averaged 4pts a game in HS. These are just guys off the top of my head. There have been lots though.

Bay Area Duke Fan
12-28-2009, 06:26 PM
Exactly, remember Jamal Tinsley? He came from a JUCO school, went to Iowa St and had a great career with the Pacers and maybe a few other teams. He was on my fantasy team a few teams in fact. Anyway, Tinsley never even played high school ball! There are lots of diamonds in the rough type players. Remember Saul Smith? Started 2-3 years at UK and wasn't even a top 500 prospect. Adam Emmenecker from Drake averaged 4pts a game in HS. These are just guys off the top of my head. There have been lots though.

Saul Smith was a different situation. His father was the UK coach (Tubby).

jmb
12-29-2009, 11:23 AM
It seems this young man would also need to squeeze 4 years' worth of classes into 3. I seem to remember that Trinity requires 34 credits for graduation, with 32 of them having to be earned on the campus of a 4-year institution (i.e., can't skip Chem 21 and take it at your local community college over the summer), thus any classes taken at his juco won't satisfy graduation requirements at Duke.

I'm not doubting the basketball office's ability to interpret the undergraduate course requirements (and indeed mayhaps they have changed), nor is it impossible to fit 4 years of Duke classes into 3 calendar years. Just saying unless the policy has changed in the last few years it may be a challenge.

Anyone know the situation better?

Poincaré
12-29-2009, 12:34 PM
It seems this young man would also need to squeeze 4 years' worth of classes into 3. I seem to remember that Trinity requires 34 credits for graduation, with 32 of them having to be earned on the campus of a 4-year institution (i.e., can't skip Chem 21 and take it at your local community college over the summer), thus any classes taken at his juco won't satisfy graduation requirements at Duke.

I'm not doubting the basketball office's ability to interpret the undergraduate course requirements (and indeed mayhaps they have changed), nor is it impossible to fit 4 years of Duke classes into 3 calendar years. Just saying unless the policy has changed in the last few years it may be a challenge.

Well, he would a be transfer, so doesn't the red-shirt year give him 4 years to get the degree?

Beyond that, I'm not sure I like where this is going. The position that was to be filled by Harrison Barnes and then Roscoe Smith is now going to be filled by a JUCO guy? Sure, we can say that he's replacing Olek, but I can't imagine that he's more athletic than Olek. So he's more skilled than Olek? How much? I can't really judge the kid because there's no information about him out there. Given my lack of information, I can only fear that he's going to be a replaceable practice player, and nothing more.

The natural follow up is, how did K and his staff find Felix anyways? How exactly does one discover a JUCO player? No one watches their games and the level of competition is low. Well, that can't be true. Someone must watch them, or they wouldn't be recruited.

If those who are more familiar with JUCO recruiting can illuminate us on the process, it would be most appreciated.

roywhite
12-29-2009, 12:45 PM
Well, he would a be transfer, so doesn't the red-shirt year give him 4 years to get the degree?

Beyond that, I'm not sure I like where this is going. The position that was to be filled by Harrison Barnes and then Roscoe Smith is now going to be filled by a JUCO guy? Sure, we can say that he's replacing Olek, but I can't imagine that he's more athletic than Olek. So he's more skilled than Olek? How much? I can't really judge the kid because there's no information about him out there. Given my lack of information, I can only fear that he's going to be a replaceable practice player, and nothing more.

The natural follow up is, how did K and his staff find Felix anyways? How exactly does one discover a JUCO player? No one watches their games and the level of competition is low. Well, that can't be true. Someone must watch them, or they wouldn't be recruited.

If those who are more familiar with JUCO recruiting can illuminate us on the process, it would be most appreciated.

Not an expert here, and don't have inside info, but this is what I've read:

Nate James saw Felix play when he was actually looking at another player (a 7-footer from Senegal, I believe, don't know the name) who plays for the College of Southern Idaho. This is certainly the "wide net" in action, something that many fans have argued for.

Felix is apparently very athletic; there's a youtube video of him taking off at the foul line and dunking the ball during his college's initial public practice. Very few players can do that.

The reports are that he is scoring somewhere around 16-17 points per game with good numbers also in rebounds and a surprising number of blocked shots for a player his size, which is 6'6" or thereabouts. Reports also talk about his hard work and dedication, and his Juco coach thinks he can play at a very high collegiate level.

Juco basketball players going on to success in major college programs is not unusual in general, though obviously unusual for Duke (nobody in the K era, but George Moses in the 1970's).

Exactly how good is he? How interested is Duke? How interested is Felix in Duke? Are there significant hurdles in academics or otherwise? Don't know. But I take it as a good sign that Nate James has seen him and likes his game.

calltheobvious
12-29-2009, 12:50 PM

I know it's lazy on my part not to look this up, but I have a really hard time believing that this is indeed the policy. If it is, then it means that Duke University doesn't really accept juco transfers...at all. This was certainly not the case when I was there in the mid-to-late 90's--I had a friend who went to two years of juco in New Jersey and was graduated after two years at Duke.

Having received two transfer credits myself, my guess is that the policy reads something like the following: if a student enrolls as a freshman at Duke, then 32 of the 34 credits needed for graduation must be taken at Duke, with a maximum of two credits to be transferred in(obviously the transfer credits must be obtained from an accredited school). The policy probably reads very differently for students officially categorized as "transfer students."

The Gordog
12-29-2009, 12:51 PM

I don't think it's considered a transfer when you graduate from junior college. And, to the earlier poster, while Chem 21 may not be replaceable with Juco credits, my belief is that is more a matter of lab hours than anything else. To say that no credits would carry over from Juco is, I believe, false.

jlear
12-29-2009, 01:05 PM
I know it's lazy on my part not to look this up, but I have a really hard time believing that this is indeed the policy. If it is, then it means that Duke University doesn't really accept juco transfers...at all. This was certainly not the case when I was there in the mid-to-late 90's--I had a friend who went to two years of juco in New Jersey and was graduated after two years at Duke.

Having received two transfer credits myself, my guess is that the policy reads something like the following: if a student enrolls as a freshman at Duke, then 32 of the 34 credits needed for graduation must be taken at Duke, with a maximum of two credits to be transferred in(obviously the transfer credits must be obtained from an accredited school). The policy probably reads very differently for students officially categorized as "transfer students."

From the Admissions web page:

Duke will grant credit for only two years of work done elsewhere, regardless of how many credits a student has. The classes for which a student receives credit are chosen by the registrar.

jimsumner
12-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Felix would not have to sit out a year. He would be eligible immediately and would have three years of eligibility.

Duke still is trying to find answers to the questions raised by roywhite. Perhaps nothing will come of it. But missing on Barnes and losing Czyz leaves a need. With Smith, Zeigler, Mabry, Felix and maybe others on the radar screen, it seems that Krzyzewski is determined to fill that need.

jmb
12-29-2009, 01:15 PM
Here are the official policies on classes taken outside of Duke:

Work Taken After Matriculation at Duke. After matriculation as a full-time candidate at Duke, a student in Trinity College may receive transfer credit for no more than two courses taken in the United States at another accredited four-year institution, whether in the summer, while withdrawn from the College, or while on leave of absence for personal, medical, or financial reasons. A student in the Pratt School of Engineering is limited to four of these types of transfer courses. In cases that involve transferring study abroad credit, a student in Trinity or Pratt may transfer up to eight credits for a full year, plus two for a summer. In no instance, however, may a student transfer more than ten courses when combining study abroad and the allowable number of domestic transfer courses. International students who take courses in their home country for transfer will be subject to the same policies and limitations governing domestic credit. No credit will be accepted for course work taken while a Duke student is withdrawn involuntarily.
Only those courses taken in which grades of C- or better have been earned are acceptable for transfer credit; courses taken at other institutions with P/F grading or the equivalent will not be accepted for transfer credit. The semester-course unit of credit awarded at Duke for satisfactorily completed courses cannot be directly equated with semester-hour or quarter-hour credits. Credit equivalency is determined by the university registrar. Courses for which there is no equivalent at Duke may be given an 888 or a 999 number, lower or upper level, respectively. All courses approved for transfer are listed on the student’s permanent record at Duke, but grades earned are not recorded. Once the limit of transferred credit has been reached, no additional transferred work will be displayed on the record or used as a substitute for a previously transferred course. Further information is available from the university registrar.
Courses taken in the United States that, upon evaluation, yield transfer credit at Duke may be given Areas of Knowledge and Modes of Inquiry codes. (The same is true of courses taken abroad.) They could count toward the major, minor, or certificate if approved by the relevant academic unit. For purposes of this regulation, interinstitutional credits (see the section on agreement with neighboring universities) are not considered as work taken at another institution.
At least half of the courses submitted toward fulfillment of a student’s major field must be taken at Duke, but departments may make exceptions to this rule in special circumstances. No credit is given for work completed by correspondence, and credit for not more than two semester courses is allowed for extension courses.
Approval forms for Duke students taking courses at institutions other than Duke may be obtained online or from the offices of the academic deans. Students wishing to transfer credit for study at another accredited college while on leave or during the summer must present a catalog of that college to the appropriate dean and director of undergraduate studies and obtain their approval prior to taking the courses. Students wishing to receive Modes of Inquiry codes for transfer course work must apply for those codes using the Transfer Course Modes of Inquiry Request Form available at: http://t-reqs.trinity.duke.edu/.
Transfer Credit for Students Transferring to Duke. Students transferring from a degree program in another accredited institution may be granted credit for up to 17 semester-course credits. Students will not be awarded more than four course credits for one semester’s work at the institution from which they are transferring credit. Courses accepted for transfer in this circumstance may be given, upon evaluation, Area of Knowledge and Modes of Inquiry codes. They may count toward a major, minor, or certificate program if approved by the relevant academic unit. See the section above for information on the evaluation of courses for transfer and the limitation on transfer courses for the major.

So it looks like AFTER one enrolls at Duke, any outside credits have to come from a four-year school, but the transfer section doesn't stipulate his prior coursework needs to be done at a four-year school.

Carry on, Mr. Felix.

houstondukie
01-08-2010, 02:56 PM
This is Coach K first offer ever to a JUCO player. With Ross in the picture as well, it seems Coach K is looking to land a couple of wing players.

Scouting report from Rivals:

"As a college prospect, Felix is a very talented performer with very good length on his ultra-athletic frame. Felix has worked very hard off the court to develop his now strong, athletic build. He still has major upside and a lot of room for physical growth and maturity. Felix is at his best when slashing to the basket in the half-court set, or in the open floor where he thrives, using his athleticism to make plays and finish strong at the basket. He is a very good mid-range player that is capable of knocking down mid-range jump shots consistently. He also possesses some range on his shot and is capable of stepping outside the three-point stripe, where he has good range on his shot. Felix has NBA athleticism, which allows him to make plays defensively that many cannot. His length allows him to reach into passing lanes and he also has good lateral quickness. He is an active rebounder that likes to compete for balls outside of his area. He also is a very good shotblocker that has good timing. His tenacious attitude on the floor also helps him to makes plays on both ends of the court. Big-time prospect that continues to improve."

yancem
01-08-2010, 03:02 PM
So it sounds like we have offers out to Felix, Smith and Ross. I'm not sure about Ziegler but we may have offered him as well. That looks like a pretty wide net. Hopefully we get at least one of these guys.

CDu
01-08-2010, 03:04 PM
This is Coach K first offer ever to a JUCO player. With Ross in the picture as well, it seems Coach K is looking to land a couple of wing players.

Scouting report from Rivals:

"As a college prospect, Felix is a very talented performer with very good length on his ultra-athletic frame. Felix has worked very hard off the court to develop his now strong, athletic build. He still has major upside and a lot of room for physical growth and maturity. Felix is at his best when slashing to the basket in the half-court set, or in the open floor where he thrives, using his athleticism to make plays and finish strong at the basket. He is a very good mid-range player that is capable of knocking down mid-range jump shots consistently. He also possesses some range on his shot and is capable of stepping outside the three-point stripe, where he has good range on his shot. Felix has NBA athleticism, which allows him to make plays defensively that many cannot. His length allows him to reach into passing lanes and he also has good lateral quickness. He is an active rebounder that likes to compete for balls outside of his area. He also is a very good shotblocker that has good timing. His tenacious attitude on the floor also helps him to makes plays on both ends of the court. Big-time prospect that continues to improve."

Very interesting indeed. I admittedly know next to nothing about his game, but it's nice to see that Coach K is willing to broaden the scope of his recruiting efforts as the college landscape is evolving. Hopefully we land a player (or two even) that fit in nicely to the big wing role that could end up being vacated if Singler heads to the NBA this summer.

Duvall
01-08-2010, 03:10 PM
This is Coach K first offer ever to a JUCO player. [/I]

I don't think that's true, though I believe Felix would be the first JUCO to accept a scholarship offer under K.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-08-2010, 03:15 PM
I don't think that's true, though I believe Felix would be the first JUCO to accept a scholarship offer under K.
If he has an offer from Duke, why in the world would he not accept it as fast as he could get the words out?

CDu
01-08-2010, 03:17 PM
If he has an offer from Duke, why in the world would he not accept it as fast as he could get the words out?

Perhaps he wants to consider offers from other major universities as well? I know it is blashemy to say this, but Duke isn't necessarily the best choice for everybody, even though I felt it was the best choice for me.

Or maybe he is just taking his time in making a huge decision.

houstondukie
01-08-2010, 03:22 PM

From what I have heard, Felix is in the process of setting up an official visit to Duke. If Felix has truly been offered, then I think it's only a matter of time before he picks Duke. The quotes I have read by him and the excitement he is showing on his facebook page all indicate that he is in love by Duke and it is a dream come true for him.

BlueintheFace
01-08-2010, 03:44 PM
He does not have an offer. Official visits are being organized for himself and his teammate I believe.

DukeSince'77
01-08-2010, 04:23 PM
I wonder how Carrick compares to Roscoe Smith??

Kedsy
01-08-2010, 04:25 PM
I wonder how Carrick compares to Roscoe Smith??

I wonder how he compares to Olek Czyz.

BlueintheFace
01-08-2010, 04:30 PM

He is more of an outside-in wing who finishes above the rim. Olek played most of his high school ball in the lane.

Tappan Zee Devil
01-08-2010, 04:33 PM
He does not have an offer. Official visits are being organized for himself and his teammate I believe.

so OK - I'll bite :)
Who is his teammate?
I have not seen a teammate mentioned in this tread.

Tim1515
01-08-2010, 04:34 PM

I don't believe Felix will turn out to be anything like Roscoe or Olek. I don't believe he has a ton of upside like the others do...but i think he'll be more prepared to play the type of basketball K values.

DukeSince'77
01-08-2010, 04:34 PM
...and above the rim!!

Tim1515
01-08-2010, 04:35 PM
so OK - I'll bite :)
Who is his teammate?
I have not seen a teammate mentioned in this tread.

Aziz Ndiaye 7'0 240

Tappan Zee Devil
01-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Aziz Ndiaye 7'0 240

OK thanks

DukeSince'77
01-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Oh no not Ndiaye...

Kedsy
01-08-2010, 04:37 PM
I don't believe Felix will turn out to be anything like Roscoe or Olek. I don't believe he has a ton of upside like the others do...but i think he'll be more prepared to play the type of basketball K values.

Like a Nate James type? That would work for me.

Greg_Newton
01-08-2010, 05:20 PM
He is more of an outside-in wing who finishes above the rim. Olek played most of his high school ball in the lane.

And hopefully the biggest difference will be that he's a mature kid who has been living and breathing basketball his whole life, rather than picking it up in the past five years. Olek was a good kid, but he may have tained our perception of "athlete" wing recruits... you'd be hard pressed to find anyone quite that raw.

Getting both Felix and Ross would be terrific, IMO... and sounds fairly likely if academic progress is made. I would absolutely love to have 2 freak, dunk-from-the-free-throw-line-athletic 6'6 wings in addition to who we already have. We don't need them, per se, but they would really complete our arsenal of weapons quite nicely.

(Plus, as much as I hate hypotheticals, just imagine a change of pace lineup with Kyrie-Ross-Felix-Plumlee-Plumlee! Talk about athletic...)

roywhite
01-08-2010, 05:24 PM
Like a Nate James type? That would work for me.

From a family where Dad is career military (US Air Force), which is similar to Nate, if I recall. Pretty good chance Coach K can relate to young Mr. Felix and his parents. Felix and James are about the same size, though I don't know if their games are alike.

dukefan704
01-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Hey, everyone would love to have a great player like nate james. I hope we get this guy, but will he have the grade to get into Duke? He looks like a great player and would be a good addition to an already great recruiting class this year

Tim1515
01-08-2010, 06:29 PM
Hey, everyone would love to have a great player like nate james. I hope we get this guy, but will he have the grade to get into Duke? He looks like a great player and would be a good addition to an already great recruiting class this year

I've heard that his grades are very good this year

houstondukie
01-08-2010, 06:36 PM
I've heard that his grades are very good this year

He made the Dean's List last semester.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Aziz Ndiaye 7'0 240
Any relation to Maktar? I'm hoping not, but I wouldn't rush to judgment if he were. Sometimes the apple does fall far from the tree :D

roywhite
01-08-2010, 10:05 PM
Any relation to Maktar? I'm hoping not, but I wouldn't rush to judgment if he were. Sometimes the apple does fall far from the tree :D

Yeah, it turns out Ndiaye is a very common surname in Senegal, almost a Smith or Jones. Can't say Makhtar did much for the reputation of the name.

G man
01-18-2010, 05:06 PM
Those who have access to rivals need to read the piece on Felix. If the article is accurate than we would be lucky to have a player like Carrick.

RockyMtDevil
01-18-2010, 08:45 PM
So, if Felix accepts, are we still in the running for Terence Ross? Seems like it is one or the other, correct?

SupaDave
01-18-2010, 08:49 PM
So, if Felix accepts, are we still in the running for Terence Ross? Seems like it is one or the other, correct?

Got room for both...

Kedsy
01-18-2010, 10:44 PM

We currently have 9 eligible (recruited) scholarship players. After this season, we lose 3 seniors and are so far bringing in 3 freshman plus Seth Curry, bringing us up to 10 scholarship players for next year. We can add both Felix and Ross, bringing us up to 12 (if Kyle stays) or 11. The following year we lose Nolan (and Kyle if he stayed), leaving us 3 scholarships for (hopefully) Rivers, QMiller, and MP3 (or suitable substitutes if we can't reel in those three).

Long answer short, my guess is K is trying for both CF and TR. Not sure how to find minutes for everyone if we get both, but I'd rather have that problem than the alternative.

airowe
01-18-2010, 11:28 PM
We currently have 9 eligible (recruited) scholarship players. After this season, we lose 3 seniors and are so far bringing in 3 freshman plus Seth Curry, bringing us up to 10 scholarship players for next year. We can add both Felix and Ross, bringing us up to 12 (if Kyle stays) or 11. The following year we lose Nolan (and Kyle if he stayed), leaving us 3 scholarships for (hopefully) Rivers, QMiller, and MP3 (or suitable substitutes if we can't reel in those three).

Long answer short, my guess is K is trying for both CF and TR. Not sure how to find minutes for everyone if we get both, but I'd rather have that problem than the alternative.

That Zeigler kid is still uncommitted too, just sayin'...

Kedsy
01-18-2010, 11:36 PM
That Zeigler kid is still uncommitted too, just sayin'...

True, and TaShawn Mabry is still in the mix too, isn't he? but I doubt we'd bring in three of them. Any two would be fine by me. They all seem rather interchangeable.

FireOgilvie
01-18-2010, 11:38 PM
True, and TaShawn Mabry is still in the mix too, isn't he? but I doubt we'd bring in three of them. Any two would be fine by me. They all seem rather interchangeable.

Terrence Ross is better than the other 3, but I'd definitely like to have Felix, Zeigler, or Mabry as well.

airowe
01-18-2010, 11:51 PM
Terrence Ross is better than the other 3, but I'd definitely like to have Felix, Zeigler, or Mabry as well.

In a perfect world, I'd wish that we got

1) Ross and Felix

Or

3) Zeigler and Felix

I don't think we could keep Ross AND Zeigler happy enough minutes-wise. Both are very talented and highly rated plus Zeigler projects as more of a 2-3 and we already have a ton of 2s.

Regardless, it's impressive the impact that Nate-Dogg has had on this program.

goduke_gray
01-27-2010, 12:10 AM
Both are JUCO, just wondering if people know when they will be visiting Durham and if people have seen footage of either one of them. I've only seen short clips of Carrick throwing down some pretty nasty dunks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqDpO8AG4rE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEUHWNsdr2I

Faison1
01-27-2010, 12:04 PM
Not sure if anyone noticed this or not, but College of Southern Idaho is where Quinn Snyder (and staff) found Ricky Clemmons.

I'm sure it doesn't make any difference, but I found it kind of interesting....

roywhite
01-27-2010, 12:12 PM
Through 22 games (CSI is 15-7) Felix is averaging 15 points, 5 rebounds, and leads his team in blocked shots, playing 27 minutes per game.

Apparently, the CSI coach has not gotten the memo from Coach K about playing time, since he has 11 players averaging double-figure minutes per game. :)

DevilHorns
02-05-2010, 11:35 PM
I don't mean to be snooty, but are we the only top tier div I program looking at this kid? I youtubed him for some clips and saw some insane dunks.

Would he be able to contribute right away? anybody see him play/know about him?

-bdbd
02-06-2010, 03:39 AM
I don't mean to be snooty, but are we the only top tier div I program looking at this kid? I youtubed him for some clips and saw some insane dunks.

Would he be able to contribute right away? anybody see him play/know about him?

Felix: One of the recruiting write-ups I read on him about a month ago said he was getting interest from several Pac-10 schools, but I can't recall if formal offers had been made. From memory, so this might be off, I recall Oregon, Oregon State, one of the Washington schools and one of the CA schools (maybe USC?). I trust K, and Nate, absolutely. His family background (military brat) and reason for going to Juco (NOT for academics necessarily), would make him the unusual Juco who might be a good fit at Duke. He seems driven, and plays good D - always good traits in K's book. David Henderson seems a decent analogy.

W/o one of these swing athletic kids (6-5 to 6-7 and quick) we don't have great matchups for defending one-on-one against those types of mid-sized slashers/athletes who we'll see at several ACC schools next year.

ACC Sports Journal doesn't seem to think we're the faves any more for TR, and with TZ delaying his decision for another 2-3 months (and being a MSU lean), Felix might indeed be our top target at swing pretty soon.... (though we can certainly offer, and use, more than one in K's system). Looking forward to his visit to CIS soon.

:confused:

superdave
02-06-2010, 03:58 AM
Initiate long Carrick Felix thread now.

roywhite
02-06-2010, 08:21 AM

That sounds promising. News?

yancem
02-06-2010, 09:02 AM

Care to be a little less cryptic?

Indoor66
02-06-2010, 09:21 AM
Care to be a little less cryptic?

Probably a reference to the John Wall thread of endless speculation and admiration bordering on worship.

DevilHorns
02-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Felix: One of the recruiting write-ups I read on him about a month ago said he was getting interest from several Pac-10 schools, but I can't recall if formal offers had been made. From memory, so this might be off, I recall Oregon, Oregon State, one of the Washington schools and one of the CA schools (maybe USC?). I trust K, and Nate, absolutely. His family background (military brat) and reason for going to Juco (NOT for academics necessarily), would make him the unusual Juco who might be a good fit at Duke. He seems driven, and plays good D - always good traits in K's book. David Henderson seems a decent analogy.

W/o one of these swing athletic kids (6-5 to 6-7 and quick) we don't have great matchups for defending one-on-one against those types of mid-sized slashers/athletes who we'll see at several ACC schools next year.

ACC Sports Journal doesn't seem to think we're the faves any more for TR, and with TZ delaying his decision for another 2-3 months (and being a MSU lean), Felix might indeed be our top target at swing pretty soon.... (though we can certainly offer, and use, more than one in K's system). Looking forward to his visit to CIS soon.

:confused:

Thanks. He is ultra athletic from the clips I've seen.

And to the others, im not trying to create an endless speculation thread John Wall-esque thread. I actually know very little about him since there isn't too much on him (which is the opposite of John Wall, who was all over the interwebs during the recruiting process).

ChicagoCrazy84
02-12-2010, 05:20 PM
This kid really does sound like a winner and we would be lucky to have him on our squad. Really nice article on him on the front page. I am friends with him on facebook and I'll throw some small comments on there once in a while to help our cause. :D But really, I would love for someone like him to play for Duke. Also an interesting fact, he became a fan and member of the facebook group "Quincy Miller should be a Blue Devil."

johnb
02-12-2010, 06:41 PM
We were excited when a juco kid from the west signed to play football, but when a similarly solid kid gets an offer from Coach K, we are skeptical.

At the absolute very least, he's our 10th man, raises the level of practice, and recognizes that he's getting the opportunity to go to Duke. At the most, he's a reincarnation of Nate. What's not to love?

Bluedog
02-12-2010, 08:21 PM
This article, released about 30 minute ago, seems to indicate that Felix has chosen Duke:

CSI's Felix choses Duke (http://www.deseretnews.com/blog/25/10008331/USU-Aggies-blog-CSIs-Felix-choses-Duke.html)

But I don't know how much accurate it is. Proper grammar isn't even used in the headline and the article itself doesn't say Felix has committed to Duke. Simply says his recruitment has ended:

His decision ended a recruiting process that had dozens of schools hoping to acquire his services.

So, it's not that clear...

G man
02-12-2010, 08:23 PM
This article seems to indicate that Felix has chosen Duke:

CSI's Felix choses Duke (http://www.deseretnews.com/blog/25/10008331/USU-Aggies-blog-CSIs-Felix-choses-Duke.html)

We he signs Ill believe it

jimrowe0
02-12-2010, 08:41 PM
Seems like the article is just implying that since Duke has offered him that other schools don't stand a chance. Seems reasonable to assume that...

jipops
02-12-2010, 08:52 PM
This article, released about 30 minute ago, seems to indicate that Felix has chosen Duke:

But I don't know how much accurate it is. Proper grammar isn't even used in the headline and the article itself doesn't say Felix has committed to Duke. Simply says his recruitment has ended:

So, it's not that clear...

Looks like a pretty bone-headed writeup. The headline makes an apparent definitive statement yet nothing in the content backs it up. Clearly this guy is only making an assumption. The kid seems excited to be pursued by Duke. Nice job by Nate for going after this kid. Looks like a kid Nate can form a strong bond with since both are sons of Military dads. I'm sure the staff would love to have Felix on board.

sagegrouse
02-12-2010, 09:05 PM
The same facts were in an Idaho article on Felix and his recruitment, which just talked about his offers and his need to concentrate on his game. I don't see any evidence he has chosen Duke (although I would welcome it).

Sounds like sports writer Jared Eborn is just telling Utah State to forget it.

Of course, if Duke did extend a scholarship offer, he'd be crazy to turn it down.;)

sagegrouse
'My range extends through the sagebrush country of southern Idaho. Indeed, there may even be a lek near the CSI campus'

Greg_Newton
02-12-2010, 09:14 PM
Looks like a pretty bone-headed writeup. The headline makes an apparent definitive statement yet nothing in the content backs it up. Clearly this guy is only making an assumption. The kid seems excited to be pursued by Duke. Nice job by Nate for going after this kid. Looks like a kid Nate can form a strong bond with since both are sons of Military dads. I'm sure the staff would love to have Felix on board.

Furthermore, the quotes in the article are simply recycled quotes from the article on the DBR front page (that were made in reference to Duke's offer, not a commitment). It does seem likely that he will end up here, which is great, but I'm pretty sure that's misinformation.

Coastal Devil
02-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Yeah I hope we get this guy. He seems like a great fit for Duke and we'd be lucky to have him. You really gotta give it to Coach Nate and Coach K for finding this guy. He seems like the prefect wing player. We are going to roll this decade!

Go Duke!

Welcome2DaSlopes
02-12-2010, 09:18 PM
Is this kid better than Terrance Ross?

MChambers
02-12-2010, 09:22 PM
Is this kid better than Terrance Ross?

Maybe you mean Terrence Ross? Kind of hard to compare a JC kid to a high school senior, but if you've looked at the Ross thread, you'll see that it seems to be unlikely that Duke still is recruiting Ross.

Sounds like Felix is a good kid and a talented player who Duke wants. That's enough for me.

Bluedog
02-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Looks like The Deseret News took the article titled "Felix choses Duke" (yes, with the typo) down after realizing it was terribly misleading. Sorry for linking it! In any event, Felix sounds like a good prospect and if we've offered, that's good enough for me. Can't have too many athletic wings!

JasonEvans
02-16-2010, 04:41 PM
Seth Davis apparently tweeted today about Duke offering Felix. He linked to a story in the Duke Chronicle (http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/2010/02/16/a-first-for-duke-basketball-recruiting/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+chronicleblogs%2Fsports+%28Th e+Chronicle%27s+Sports+Blog%29) which does not contain anything new that I can see.

Here's something fun to think about...
Both Felix and his laaaarrrrgggggeee teammate Aziz N'Diaye are going to have 3 years of elligibility left when they arrive on a Division-1 campus this fall (N'Diaye is missing this season with a torn ACL). This means they would be part of the current freshman class.

So, the Duke class of 2013 could be Mason Plumlee, Ryan Kelly, Andre Dawkins, Seth Curry, Carrix Felix, and Aziz N'Diaye. Not too shabby ;)

--Jason "odds that they all stay to be seniors would seem to be slim... but it is fun to dream" Evans

oldnavy
02-16-2010, 05:32 PM
Seth Davis apparently tweeted today about Duke offering Felix. He linked to a story in the Duke Chronicle (http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/2010/02/16/a-first-for-duke-basketball-recruiting/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+chronicleblogs%2Fsports+%28Th e+Chronicle%27s+Sports+Blog%29) which does not contain anything new that I can see.

Both Felix and his laaaarrrrgggggeee teammate Aziz N'Diaye are going to have 3 years of elligibility left when they arrive on a Division-1 campus this fall (N'Diaye is missing this season with a torn ACL). This means they would be part of the current freshman class.

So, the Duke class of 2013 could be Mason Plumlee, Ryan Kelly, Andre Dawkins, Seth Curry, Carrix Felix, and Aziz N'Diaye. Not too shabby ;)

--Jason "odds that they all stay to be seniors would seem to be slim... but it is fun to dream" Evans

Other than being really large, what is the word on N'Diaye, can he play? Are we going to offer him as well?

BD80
02-16-2010, 05:39 PM
... Here's something fun to think about...

Not bad for a class that was a 2-man class in April 2009.

Osiagledknarf
02-16-2010, 05:48 PM
I am very excited for what Felix could bring to this team. He is super athletic and is a very good defender. He would be a very good role player, and even could be a starter even Singler leaves. I would be very excited to see him come in. He could bring us the athletic ability we have been needed on this team for some time. He averaged 15 points, 5 rebounds and averaging over a steal and a block game. Shoots 51% from the field. He is a guy I could see here to help guard a certain SF coming in next season at UNC.

As for Aziz N'Diaye, I would really like him as well. He is a high energy kid, who averaged 9 points, 8 rebounds a game with slightly over two blocks a game. There is a worry however how he recovers from one of the worst injuries you can have an athlete, a torn ACL. Some athletes come back from it, some don't, so we will have to see how he does. He could be a guy who could backup Miles and Mason, and be a better Zoubek. He would be a great guy to have in the fold, but has some risks to it.

You can read more about Aziz here: http://www.montlakemadness.com/who-is-aziz-ndiaye/

If we can nab these two kids, I think we have had a very good 2010 class coming in. This class could be up there with UNC's class as a whole if thing work out.

DeBlueDevil
02-16-2010, 05:48 PM
Man if we get Carrick Felix I believe that's the last thing needed in an already deep squad for next year. In a perfect world Kyle and Nolan both return as Senior leaders and IMO I think with that roster we make a LEGIT run at a national title. It's been a while since we've had soo much athleticism and just pure talent. K is gonna have a field day.

BlueintheFace
02-16-2010, 05:55 PM
I don't think we bring N'diaye on board unless he intends to redshirt a year and even then I see it as somewhat unlikely... just my opinion

DeBlueDevil
02-16-2010, 05:58 PM
Another good read on the situation...I like this kid whether we land him or not...just seems like he's got it all together.

http://magicvalley.com/sports/local/article_0a608a80-3097-52bd-bfa9-d7a87d5c026c.html

Osiagledknarf
02-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Man if we get Carrick Felix I believe that's the last thing needed in an already deep squad for next year. In a perfect world Kyle and Nolan both return as Senior leaders and IMO I think with that roster we make a LEGIT run at a national title. It's been a while since we've had soo much athleticism and just pure talent. K is gonna have a field day.

I have been explaining this to people, and the only thing I have heard from people are well UNC is getting Marshall, Bullock and Barnes coming in so it's gloom and doom for Duke. Not so fast!!!

Duke will have the most depth out of anyone in the ACC, maybe in the SG position out of anyone in Smith, Curry and Dawkins , and the Plumlee boys really improving, and I expect Mason to be a monster next season. With roles players such Thronton, Felix, Hairston, Kelly and Dawkins will be killer off the bench. We do need another big and hopefully that means N'Diaye coming in and being a healthy contributor. We will be loaded.

Also Davis and Henson may bolt for the Draft, which would hurt UNC in the short term.

UNC will be awfully good however, and if Harrison Barnes lives up to his billing, Look out!!!

It will be a battle next season for sure, but I see us as a legit National championship contender for sure. No question.

calltheobvious
02-16-2010, 06:15 PM
I don't think we bring N'diaye on board unless he intends to redshirt a year and even then I see it as somewhat unlikely... just my opinion

There's no more active red-shirting for N'Diaye. Once you start school, you generally have five years to play four (exceptions for Stormin' Mormons), and with him sitting out this season, all of his seasons are use 'em or lose 'em. The NCAA does occasionally grant sixth years of eligibility based on medical hardship, but that's only in cases in which players suffer two season-ending injuries or one season-ender at some point following a red-shirt year. They likely wouldn't look kindly on a program assuming a sixth year, which is what it would look like if a four-year school signed him and then tried to red-shirt him.

BlueintheFace
02-16-2010, 06:22 PM
There's no more active red-shirting for N'Diaye. Once you start school, you generally have five years to play four (exceptions for Stormin' Mormons), and with him sitting out this season, all of his seasons are use 'em or lose 'em. The NCAA does occasionally grant sixth years of eligibility based on medical hardship, but that's only in cases in which players suffer two season-ending injuries or one season-ender at some point following a red-shirt year. They likely wouldn't look kindly on a program assuming a sixth year, which is what it would look like if a four-year school signed him and then tried to red-shirt him.

Interesting. My ignorance on JC transfers is showing (and might also be related to K's failure to them throughout his career).

ChicagoCrazy84
02-16-2010, 07:26 PM
I have been explaining this to people, and the only thing I have heard from people are well UNC is getting Marshall, Bullock and Barnes coming in so it's gloom and doom for Duke. Not so fast!!!

Duke will have the most depth out of anyone in the ACC, maybe in the SG position out of anyone in Smith, Curry and Dawkins , and the Plumlee boys really improving, and I expect Mason to be a monster next season. With roles players such Thronton, Felix, Hairston, Kelly and Dawkins will be killer off the bench. We do need another big and hopefully that means N'Diaye coming in and being a healthy contributor. We will be loaded.

Also Davis and Henson may bolt for the Draft, which would hurt UNC in the short term.

UNC will be awfully good however, and if Harrison Barnes lives up to his billing, Look out!!!

It will be a battle next season for sure, but I see us as a legit National championship contender for sure. No question.

I could see Duke/UNC as another Duke/Maryland battle from 2001. Both were very good that season and went to the Final Four. How sick would that be if we played them in the Final Four?

JDev
02-16-2010, 08:34 PM

That would also have to be the most strangely assembled Duke class in school history. There are two McD's AAs, but added to them are a kid who left high school a year early to attend Duke, a kid who transferred from a lower level D1 school, and a Duke's first Juco transfer. Strange road map for a wonderful class.

Welcome2DaSlopes
02-16-2010, 08:57 PM
So what exactly are we waiting for? Idk, it would seem as this is almost a done deal, but i havent read anything about his confirmation. Also if we get him and Aziz N'Diaye, How many sholly's do we have for next year?

Osiagledknarf
02-16-2010, 08:59 PM
So what exactly are we waiting for? Idk, it would seem as this is almost a done deal, but i havent read anything about his confirmation. Also if we get him and Aziz N'Diaye, How many sholly's do we have for next year?

Sholly's? :confused:

El_Diablo
02-16-2010, 09:00 PM

Scholarships.

Welcome2DaSlopes
02-16-2010, 09:07 PM

Scholarships.

THIS.....

Indoor66
02-16-2010, 09:52 PM
That would also have to be the most strangely assembled Duke class in school history. There are two McD's AAs, but added to them are a kid who left high school a year early to attend Duke, a kid who transferred from a lower level D1 school, and a Duke's first Juco transfer. Strange road map for a wonderful class.

Not the first. George Moses in the 70's.

verga
02-17-2010, 12:03 AM
I believe the reason Felix has not committed is because, i don't think he's been offered, at least not yet. A couple of things would have to happen, one would be, K seeing him play and then having a sit down with the kid. I think they have to get him on campus and then the rest of the process will be completed. They (Duke) may have offered him with the understanding that the part i mentioned above has to take place first. Regarding the big man, why not take a chnace on him, we have no guarantee that Marshall Plumlee or any other big is coming our way. I know nothing about the grades of either of these two kids but if Duke is having them visit the campus, they must be satisfied with their academic progress. I hope we get them here soon and i hope we seal the deal, when they do arrive.

Gargoyle
02-17-2010, 08:35 AM
http://www.magicvalley.com/sports/local/article_0a608a80-3097-52bd-bfa9-d7a87d5c026c.html

94duke
02-17-2010, 09:22 AM
http://www.magicvalley.com/sports/local/article_0a608a80-3097-52bd-bfa9-d7a87d5c026c.html

Great article!

vango
02-17-2010, 09:27 AM
This article sounds like he committed to us, then sounds like he was just offered, then sounds like he committed to us. :confused:

Maybe he's just saying USU should look elsewhere to fill their need b/c with Duke offering they have no chance...

http://www.deseretnews.com/blog/25/10008331/USU-Aggies-blog-CSIs-Felix-choses-Duke.html

ChicagoCrazy84
02-17-2010, 09:30 AM
I think he is still making visits actually. I am pretty sure we offered him and he is leaning towards Duke, but still wants to take a few visits, especially since ASU (his hometown) is among the suitors. I think we'll have a verbal from him in the next few weeks though.

roywhite
02-17-2010, 09:56 AM
I think he is still making visits actually. I am pretty sure we offered him and he is leaning towards Duke, but still wants to take a few visits, especially since ASU (his hometown) is among the suitors. I think we'll have a verbal from him in the next few weeks though.

Don't have inside info, but to my knowledge Felix has not set foot on Duke's campus or met Coach K face-to-face. Seems reasonable for all parties that such a visit would come before a commitment.

Carrick's team CSI has games throughout February and tournaments in March conceivably could go to March 20 (national JC championship). Given the distance and logistics (don't think there are direct flights from Twin Falls, ID to RDU), it may be a challenge to squeeze in a visit before the end of his season.

Sounds like a strong mutual interest between Felix and Duke, but I don't think the process is over.

flyingdutchdevil
02-17-2010, 10:01 AM
Don't have inside info, but to my knowledge Felix has not set foot on Duke's campus or met Coach K face-to-face. Seems reasonable for all parties that such a visit would come before a commitment.

Carrick's team CSI has games throughout February and tournaments in March would conceivably could go to March 20 (national JC championship). Given the distance and logistics (don't think there are direct flights from Twin Falls, ID to RDU), it may be a challenge to squeeze in a visit before the end of his season.

Sounds like a strong mutual interest between Felix and Duke, but I don't think the process is over.

I was under the impression that Felix and his 7-foot teammate visited Duke recently. Can someone confirm, or am I smoking something?

Wags
02-17-2010, 10:15 AM
A friend of mine once played in a tournament at the College of Southern Idaho. They ended up losing to CSI by 101. No that wasn't a typo. This was about four years ago.

airowe
02-17-2010, 10:25 AM
I was under the impression that Felix and his 7-foot teammate visited Duke recently. Can someone confirm, or am I smoking something?

You've been smoking something.

Stop hanging out with Will Graves ;)

Osiagledknarf
02-17-2010, 10:25 AM

I don't believe he has either, but they both have received scholarships offers from Duke.

and this is his recruiting page:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/duke/basketball/recruiting/player-Carrick-Felix-61849

Both have been offered a scholarship and have been invited for a visit... Have not officially visited as of yet.

airowe
02-17-2010, 10:28 AM
Both have been offered a scholarship .

False.

Osiagledknarf
02-17-2010, 10:47 AM
False.

Did you just read the link that was provided to you? They both did. Where are you reading or who are you listening too?

oldnavy
02-17-2010, 10:57 AM
Did you just read the link that was provided to you? They both did. Where are you reading or who are you listening too?

Yea I am confused too? Airowe is a very credible poster, yet the article seems to indicate that the offer was made...

What gives?

BlueintheFace
02-17-2010, 11:04 AM
Yea I am confused too? Airowe is a very credible poster, yet the article seems to indicate that the offer was made...

What gives?

Airowe is correct. There has been no offer. If you read the articles, there isn't really a quote FROM felix about getting the offer.

airowe
02-17-2010, 11:08 AM

What gives?

There was some miscommunication as there often is in recruiting. The "offer" was to invite both players to come on an official visit, which neither has done. Yet.

Osiagledknarf
02-17-2010, 11:15 AM
There was some miscommunication as there often is in recruiting. The "offer" was to invite both players to come on an official visit, which neither has done. Yet.

I thought "offer" meant they were offered an scholarship. My bad.

airowe
02-17-2010, 11:20 AM
I thought "offer" meant they were offered an scholarship. My bad.

No reason to apologize. There is a lot of confusion regarding Felix's recruitment. There is also a lot of reason for optimism.

ChicagoCrazy84
02-17-2010, 11:25 AM
Thank you for clearing that up everyone. I think in that way, the writer in the article is just plain mis-informed. I know Coach K has always been pretty firm on his "no visit, no offer" policy so I wouldn't expect him to make an exception with a couple JUCO kids (nothing against them). Hopefully Carrick can make it out before the tournament starts.

enick66
02-17-2010, 12:03 PM
Airowe is correct. There has been no offer. If you read the articles, there isn't really a quote FROM felix about getting the offer.

I just tweeted Dave Telep from Scouts about whether Duke had officially offered scholarships for Felix or Ndiaye and he said "no."

blueprofessor
02-17-2010, 12:11 PM
I just tweeted Dave Telep from Scouts about whether Duke had officially offered scholarships for Felix or Ndiaye and he said "no."

Coach K called Coach Gosar and said "an offer was on the table."
http://community.foxsports.com/goodmanonfox/blog/

Best regards--Blueprofessor:)

airowe
02-17-2010, 12:20 PM
http://community.foxsports.com/goodmanonfox/blog/

The biggest thing I took from that article was this:

Gosar said that Felix intends to visit Duke after CSI's season ends.

"From what I've been told, Duke is trying to play more up-tempo, and they need guys that can get up and down," Gosar said. "That's exactly what Carrick does well."

With the backcourt we will have next season, those guards will make everyone around them better. The net can get wider, and we can bring in athletes who can run because they will fit the new uptempo system we will be able to employ.

I love, love, love this team and this season and am constantly impressed with how this team has progressed, but I have to admit there is a little swell of excitement brewing for next season while I watch the games this year...

:D

Durhamrocks68
02-17-2010, 12:25 PM
This season is going along quite nicely now and I'm looking forward to the NCAAs and the senior's swan song. However, I can't help but think about the potential for next year's team. Talented guards galore and athletic big men usually adds up to a very special season, especially if Felix comes and helps out on the wing. Very excited for both this year's team and next!!

UrinalCake
02-17-2010, 12:33 PM
Gotta love the thought of playing up-tempo with the fast, athletic guys we'll have at every position. I wonder if we'll see a return to the Phoenix Suns-style offense that we dabbled with for a season (was it 2007?)

Kedsy
02-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Gotta love the thought of playing up-tempo with the fast, athletic guys we'll have at every position. I wonder if we'll see a return to the Phoenix Suns-style offense that we dabbled with for a season (was it 2007?)

It was 2007-08, Kyle's freshman year. But personally I don't think we'll go back to that. I believe our offense will look more like it did in 2001 and 2002.

wilko
02-17-2010, 01:28 PM

We are all wanting to assume its an offer for Scholly... but I suppose it could be an offer for a visit, piece of gum or a hotdog or somesuch...

Its not very clear and we really really want some recruiting goodness to sleep better at night

blueprofessor
02-17-2010, 01:38 PM
We are all wanting to assume its an offer for Scholly... but I suppose it could be an offer for a visit, piece of gum or a hotdog or somesuch...

Its not very clear and we really really want some recruiting goodness to sleep better at night

No. The article's exact language was that "a scholarship" was on the table.

Acymetric
02-17-2010, 01:43 PM
"From what I've been told, Duke is trying to play more up-tempo, and they need guys that can get up and down," Gosar said. "That's exactly what Carrick does well."

Um. Cool. :D Seriously, this is sounding pretty cool at this point...I kinda hope we pick this guy up.

roywhite
02-17-2010, 01:45 PM
No. The article's exact language was that "a scholarship" was on the table.

Talk about casting a wider net!

Coach K's reach extends to a trout stream in Idaho.

Reel him in, Coach. You're collecting a fine haul.

Duke of Nashville
02-17-2010, 01:53 PM
Talk about casting a wider net!

Coach K's reach extends to a trout stream in Idaho.

Reel him in, Coach. You're collecting a fine haul.

Paging Austin Rivers, Austin Rivers Please Report For Duty.

Classof06
02-17-2010, 02:16 PM
Love the move.

To be honest, I'd never heard of this kid before today. But I'm one who has wished Duke would cast a wider net in recruiting and moves like this are why a) I believe Duke is really beginning to turn a corner with its recruiting and b) why I believe hiring Nate James was the best thing Krzyzewski could have done.

Kudos to Coach K and the rest of the staff.

sivartrenrag
02-17-2010, 02:30 PM
I like this idea. I think he'd be a great fit. I mean, we've all been clamoring for an "ultra-athletic wing" and apparently that's exactly what he is. If we are going to get out and run then I'm sure he'll do just fine at Duke.

airowe
02-17-2010, 02:51 PM
Love the move.

To be honest, I'd never heard of this kid before today. But I'm one who has wished Duke would cast a wider net in recruiting and moves like this are why a) I believe Duke is really beginning to turn a corner with its recruiting and b) why I believe hiring Nate James was the best thing Krzyzewski could have done.

Kudos to Coach K and the rest of the staff.

Nate has made a tremendous impact on our recruiting lately! He is the point man on nearly every top prospect we are pursuing at this time...

Go 2 Hell Carolina
02-17-2010, 03:38 PM
I think that Nate can relate to some of the recruits that we are going after a little better than wojo - Not trying to throw that card around or anything but just my thoughts.

CrazieDUMB
02-17-2010, 03:41 PM
You know what I like about Nate? He's a Bad A** mofo. I like that the first Duke representative a prospect sees is Nate James. He's big and athletic. For kids that like to get out and run the floor, this should work.

Look at the possible starters next year: Kyrie, Nolan, Curry, Singler, Mason. Who doesn't want to play with that? Can you imagine how fun it would be for Carrick to break into that mold? Insane.

91_92_01_10_15
02-17-2010, 03:47 PM
I think that Nate can relate to some of the recruits that we are going after a little better than wojo - Not trying to throw that card around or anything but just my thoughts.

Whether you were trying to throw it around or not, you just did. This will be interesting...

roywhite
02-17-2010, 03:54 PM
Whether you were trying to throw it around or not, you just did. This will be interesting...

One vote for "not offensive".

Wojo has proven to be a very good recruiter and coach. I'm excited about Nate's start in recruiting and coaching. Perhaps he'll connect better with some kids, not as well with others.

Go 2 Hell Carolina
02-17-2010, 03:55 PM

Well everyone in the nation thinks Duke only goes after all unathletic american white kid who can shoot and play D. Wojo fits that to a T. I just think Nate brings a completely different perspective to the table. Obviously he is not a 6 foot guard trying to recruit the bigs.

allenmurray
02-17-2010, 03:59 PM
One vote for "not offensive".

Wojo has proven to be a very good recruiter and coach. I'm excited about Nate's start in recruiting and coaching. Perhaps he'll connect better with some kids, not as well with others.

I agree. The more good recruiters the better. And just as all prospects' personalities are not alike, all recruiters' personalities need not be alike.

Having Wojo is good. Having Nate is good. Having both Wojo and Nate is great.

oldnavy
02-17-2010, 04:09 PM
Well everyone in the nation thinks Duke only goes after all unathletic american white kid who can shoot and play D. Wojo fits that to a T. I just think Nate brings a completely different perspective to the table. Obviously he is not a 6 foot guard trying to recruit the bigs.

The race issue is there. Think about it for a minute. Dawkins was a guy that could go into a recruit's home and project a certain image. When we lost him to Stanford, it only made since that K would fill that gap with someone that could do essentially the same thing. Nate James can and will appeal to certain kids more than Wojo or Collins will. That appeal may follow racial lines and if it does, there is nothing wrong at all with that at all. In fact I think that it is a good thing that African American kids coming out of less than desirable situations can have a role model like Nate to look at and see the possibilities of what can be. Wojo and Chris will more than likely appeal to a different type of kid. It is all good if you ask me. God made us each different, and He certainly knew what He was doing!

blueprofessor
02-17-2010, 04:13 PM
The sportswriter Mike Christensen (author of the article "Felix The First" at http://www.magicvalley.com/sports/local/article_0a608a80-3097-52bd-bfa9-d7a87d5c026c.html ) confirms that Felix told him 3 times that he has a scholarship offer from Duke and that Felix's coach corroborates that he has been offered a scholarship by Duke.

Apparently Herb Sendek visited yesterday and is making a hard push for Felix

Felix is from an area near ASU.

I was a little curious about language in the articles asserting that Duke had offered Felix , so I called Mike Christensen and he returned the call.

Mike said Felix is a tremendous player in the open court and that Felix may be a Duke lean but it would not surprise him if Felix chose ASU because it's close to home.

Am waiting for a return call from Coach K confirming the confirmation!:D:D

Best regards--Blue "I report, you decide" Prof

ChicagoCrazy84
02-17-2010, 04:18 PM
The sportswriter Mike Christensen (author of the article "Felix The First" at http://www.magicvalley.com/sports/local/article_0a608a80-3097-52bd-bfa9-d7a87d5c026c.html ) confirms that Felix told him 3 times that he has a scholarship offer from Duke and that Felix's coach corroborates that he has been offered a scholarship by Duke.

Apparently Herb Sendak visited yesterday and is making a hard push for Felix

I was a little curious about language in the articles asserting that Duke had offered Felix , so I called Mike Christensen and he returned the call.

Mike said Felix is a tremendous player in the open court and that Felix may be a Duke lean but it would not surprise him if Felix chose ASU because it's close to home.

Am waiting for a return call from Coach K confirming the confirmation!:D:D

Best regards--Blue "I report, you decide" Prof

I understand that it would be close to home, but if you have a basketball scholarship from ASU and Duke...come on. You would be a fool to not take the Duke scholly.

airowe
02-17-2010, 04:23 PM
The race issue is there. Think about it for a minute. Dawkins was a guy that could go into a recruit's home and project a certain image. When we lost him to Stanford, it only made since that K would fill that gap with someone that could do essentially the same thing. Nate James can and will appeal to certain kids more than Wojo or Collins will. That appeal may follow racial lines and if it does, there is nothing wrong at all with that at all. In fact I think that it is a good thing that African American kids coming out of less than desirable situations can have a role model like Nate to look at and see the possibilities of what can be. Wojo and Chris will more than likely appeal to a different type of kid. It is all good if you ask me. God made us each different, and He certainly knew what He was doing!

Chris Collins landed Kyrie Irving. Just sayin'

blueprofessor
02-17-2010, 04:24 PM
I understand that it would be close to home, but if you have a basketball scholarship from ASU and Duke...come on. You would be a fool to not take the Duke scholly.

Mike said he thought Felix eventually would take the Duke offer, but nothing is 100% guaranteed. :)

Regards--Blueprofessor:)

CrazieDUMB
02-17-2010, 04:25 PM

Eric Boateng comes to mind... Remember, just because Duke is a better basketball school doesn't mean it's the best fit. From what I hear I'd love to have Carrick and I think he'd be happy here, but its obviously not a given.

Go 2 Hell Carolina
02-17-2010, 04:38 PM
I just wonder how much is GF will have to do with his decision....Seems like the are really serious from my facebook stalking haha

Go 2 Hell Carolina
02-17-2010, 04:44 PM
FYI this was on his FB status -

Bobby Jolley - Go ahead and set the record straight...have you committed to Duke? lol??Yesterday at 4:25pm ·

Beverly Felix - you will know when everyone else knows !!!!!
Yesterday at 5:06pm

Bobby Jolley - I take that as a no! You can't go wrong with Duke, it's a great school...but it isn't the only good school either.

Sahar Ghanbari - only fam allowed to know that....for now ;-)

Carrick Felix - Mom chillll ...... but willl know in three weeks

oldnavy
02-17-2010, 04:52 PM
Chris Collins landed Kyrie Irving. Just sayin'

Yea, and that is the problem when you try to make general observations like I did. There are always exceptions, but I think in general terms it makes sense that people are attracted to folks that are similar to themselves. But, it is also a blessing to enjoy diversity and get to know folks from all walks.

oldnavy
02-17-2010, 04:58 PM
I just wonder how much is GF will have to do with his decision....Seems like the are really serious from my facebook stalking haha

Is GF in Idaho or Az? If she is in Idaho, then it probably wouldn't make a whole lot of difference one way or the other. If she is in Az, then well...

I gave up trying to read into recruiting inuendo after the Prince Harry mess!

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me! - Gomer Pyle, USMC

slower
02-17-2010, 05:04 PM

Can you imagine how awesome it would be to have Nolan on staff some day (after his playing days are over, of course)? Talk about a recruiting superstar!

BD80
02-17-2010, 05:07 PM
... God made us each different, and He certainly knew what He was doing!

Ok then, explain chapel hill and Maryland fans.

Weather

Coeds

Social Life

Coeds

Close to home

Coeds

A major issue in my mind, if I were him, is style of play. Sendeck is not known for having running teams. The articles suggest he is more suited to getting up and down the court, which is why we are recruiting him.

oldnavy
02-17-2010, 05:13 PM
Ok then, explain chapel hill and Maryland fans.

Weather

Coeds

Social Life

Coeds

Close to home

Coeds

A major issue in my mind, if I were him, is style of play. Sendeck is not known for having running teams. The articles suggest he is more suited to getting up and down the court, which is why we are recruiting him.

He also made Lucifer and his legions... I can't explain it.

The running style would probably trump the location advantages...

Go 2 Hell Carolina
02-17-2010, 05:25 PM

Bobby Jolley - Go ahead and set the record straight...have you committed to Duke? lol??Yesterday at 4:25pm ·

Bobby Jolley - I take that as a no! You can't go wrong with Duke, it's a great school...but it isn't the only good school either.

Duke and unc is in 3 weeks. I would say that would be a big stage to be welcomed by the cameron crazies!!!

CameronConvert
02-17-2010, 05:45 PM

Not to get to far into the facebook thing because, as we have learned, its notoriously unreliable, but Carrick also recently became "friends" with Dave Mcclure. That makes me happy on so many levels. And, as previously mentioned, he is a "fan" of the "Quincy Miller Come To Duke" group and "The Devils Den"
I don't want to get my hopes up, but I'm getting my hopes up....

Greg_Newton
02-17-2010, 05:46 PM
Coeds

Yeppppp... nobody's going to beat ASU that department. However, I thought I heard somewhere that Carrick is either engaged or married, so it might not really matter.

Agree with that second paragraph too. I don't have any particularly inside info re: Carrick, but I just get the feeling that it's basically a formality at this point. A few facebook slip-ups that have been caught by overly attentive message board posters (not just you, G2HC!:D) seem to support this. Hopefully things work out!

Osiagledknarf
02-17-2010, 06:08 PM
Not to get to far into the facebook thing because, as we have learned, its notoriously unreliable, but Carrick also recently became "friends" with Dave Mcclure. That makes me happy on so many levels. And, as previously mentioned, he is a "fan" of the "Quincy Miller Come To Duke" group and "The Devils Den"
I don't want to get my hopes up, but I'm getting my hopes up....

If Carrick reads this he will think we are all a bunch of Stalkers.

I think these are all a bunch of great signs. I don't think he would be a fan of Quincy Miller coming to Duke, adding David Mcclure, and a fan of the Devils Den all good signs, but like you said, there all highly unreliable.

Good signs nonetheless. Really hope he comes here!!

LEt's jut not creep him out of him coming here. :D

ChicagoCrazy84
02-17-2010, 06:10 PM
Yeppppp... nobody's going to beat ASU that department. However, I thought I heard somewhere that Carrick is either engaged or married, so it might not really matter.

Agree with that second paragraph too. I don't have any particularly inside info re: Carrick, but I just get the feeling that it's basically a formality at this point. A few facebook slip-ups that have been caught by overly attentive message board posters (not just you, G2HC!:D) seem to support this. Hopefully things work out!

Yeah, I think he is married believe it or not. Mushy love stuff is all over his facebook profile. Props to him though, she is a very good looking girl.

ChicagoCrazy84
02-17-2010, 06:19 PM
According to Carrick's facebook, we will know in 3 weeks where he is going!

BD80
02-17-2010, 06:38 PM
Yeah, I think he is married believe it or not. Mushy love stuff is all over his facebook profile. Props to him though, she is a very good looking girl.

She might not like him at Tempe!

dukebb444
02-18-2010, 02:31 AM
Carrick is a fan of Quincy Miller becoming a Blue Devil....:)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Quincy-Miller-Should-Become-A-DUKE-BLUE-DEVIL/434257340273?v=wall

Greg_Newton
02-18-2010, 03:20 AM
It's not much, but you can watch some rough video of Carrick in a 6 month old scrimmage here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqba4wUgc_w) and here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBoUgr1SxRU&feature=channel) if you want.

Don't get your hopes up too much - it's a very sloppy game, and he doesn't do much. However, you can tell how long he is, how quick and fast he is, and how easily he gets above the rim... could be a great defender. He does look to be pretty raw and has a little bit of the Ryan Kelly Syndrome (i.e. how hesitant to assert himself Ryan looked at times last summer), but K's good at coaching that out.

Kind of reminds me of a very raw Shawn Marion...

Osiagledknarf
02-18-2010, 10:11 AM
It's not much, but you can watch some rough video of Carrick in a 6 month old scrimmage here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqba4wUgc_w) and here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBoUgr1SxRU&feature=channel) if you want.

Don't get your hopes up too much - it's a very sloppy game, and he doesn't do much. However, you can tell how long he is, how quick and fast he is, and how easily he gets above the rim... could be a great defender. He does look to be pretty raw and has a little bit of the Ryan Kelly Syndrome (i.e. how hesitant to assert himself Ryan looked at times last summer), but K's good at coaching that out.

Kind of reminds me of a very raw Shawn Marion...

I don't think you can judge him from youtube clips or if he is raw or not. Though I agree with you that we shouldn't get huge expectations for this kid when he first comes in. It usually take's a year or so to be able to adapt to Coach K's system.

I think he will be a very good backup for us next season, along with Dawkins at the 3.

For what I have seen from him is that he has great athletic ability and he has the potential to become a great defender and bring some excitement to the offensive end.

We will have to see though as well.... He hasn't play vs. the competition that he will be facing in the ACC.

Overall; I am extremely excited about this move!!

roywhite
02-18-2010, 10:24 AM
I think he will be a very good backup for us next season, along with Dawkins at the 3.

For what I have seen from him is that he has great athletic ability and he has the potential to become a great defender and bring some excitement to the offensive end.

We will have to see though as well.... He hasn't play vs. the competition that he will be facing in the ACC.
Overall; I am extremely excited about this move!!

Yeah, hope this works out. A couple comments:

Defense will be a key for Carrick's development and playing time; no better way to see the court than to demonstrate to Coach K that you can play good defense.

Don't under-estimate JuCo competition. Kyrie Irving, Josh Hairston, and Tyler Thornton are all playing against high levels of high school competition, but Junior College ball is at a higher level than that...better athletes who are more physically mature. So Felix can bring his own physical maturity for a first year guy along with good experience at the JuCo level.

UrinalCake
02-18-2010, 10:46 AM
Sorry if this has already been answered, but how is it that he would be eligible in the fall 2010 without having to sit out a year? Is he graduating from his junior college rather than transfering? Or are the rules just different when dealing with jucos?

DeBlueDevil
02-18-2010, 10:58 AM
If I'm not mistaken I believe if you either transfer from a JuCo up to a Div I school then you do not have to sit out as well as if you transfer from a Div I school down to a JuCo you do not have to sit out a year. Not sure why this is or if this is even correct but I'm like 90% sure. Maybe someone else can shed some light.

Otherwise, I think this is a good overall fit for both parties. Carrick will obviously be able to show he can play at the Div I level and develop with little to no pressure to have to play right away (although I think he'll get some time). Duke gets the super athletic wing with size to be able to run the court and defend other athletic wings in the ACC. All Carrick will have to do is worry about playing defense when he steps on the court. With the amount of offensive talent next years team will have he will not have to worry about the pts total on the stats sheet...just rebs, stls, blks and things of that sort....most of his offensive stats I believe will come from breakaways dunks, nice cuts to the basket or offensive put backs...all a big plus if you ask me..we love our hussle play at Duke

roywhite
02-18-2010, 11:13 AM
Sorry if this has already been answered, but how is it that he would be eligible in the fall 2010 without having to sit out a year? Is he graduating from his junior college rather than transfering? Or are the rules just different when dealing with jucos?

Yes, immediately eligible, providing he's passed some academic hurdles (which I understand is not an issue here---Felix has been on an honor roll at CSI)

http://www.ncaapublications.com/uploads/pdf/transferguide_10_85bf197c1-f15a-49e5-a90a-e3fb5a76fd5b.pdf

The NCAA refers to this as a 2-4 transfer. Chapter and verse is on page 15 of this publication.

Go 2 Hell Carolina
02-18-2010, 12:08 PM
Is GF in Idaho or Az? If she is in Idaho, then it probably wouldn't make a whole lot of difference one way or the other. If she is in Az, then well...

I gave up trying to read into recruiting inuendo after the Prince Harry mess!

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me! - Gomer Pyle, USMC

I am not sure....

Classof06
02-18-2010, 02:21 PM

There's no need to shy way from the issue. I mean, let's be honest. Duke having an all-white coaching staff would not do the program any favors. And one would have to be pretty naive to think otherwise.

Fair or not, perception is reality in some cases. And we all know the general perception of Duke, no matter how accurate or inaccurate it may be.

oldnavy
02-18-2010, 02:54 PM
There's no need to shy way from the issue. I mean, let's be honest. Duke having an all-white coaching staff would not do the program any favors. And one would have to be pretty naive to think otherwise.

Fair or not, perception is reality in some cases. And we all know the general perception of Duke, no matter how accurate or inaccurate it may be.

I agree totally. However, the problem is that if we assume that race had anything to do with hiring him, we run the risk of overlooking or under valuing his talents and ability. I think it is enough to say that in Nate James we have a very talented coach, who also happens to be a black man and the diversity he brings to Duke’s staff strengthens the overall program.

airowe
02-18-2010, 03:25 PM
I agree totally. However, the problem is that if we assume that race had anything to do with hiring him, we run the risk of overlooking or under valuing his talents and ability. I think it is enough to say that in Nate James we have a very talented coach, who also happens to be a black man and the diversity he brings to Duke’s staff strengthens the overall program.

Not to mention Nate is neither Black or White. He is simply Nate.

To be or not to be, that is the question. The answer: Nate James.

Also, 183,000 Americans die from Nate James-related accidents each year.

As you can see, it's pretty hard to judge any coach against Nate James. It's really not a fair fight.

Nate James doesn't see dead people. He makes dead people dead.

DeBlueDevil
02-18-2010, 03:56 PM
Not to rain on anyone's parade but lets keep this thread about Carrick Felix...I keep getting excited and looking to see if there was a new post with news about the Felix situation only to be dissappointed by a racial debate on whether Duke is using Nate James as a strategy to get black athletes.

Don't get me wrong I am african american and I like the convo just not the appropriate thread. Start a Nate James thread or something!!!

DeBlueDevil
02-18-2010, 03:58 PM
In addition...when looking at scout I saw that Carrick is only considered a one star recruit while others are considered four or five star recruits....does anyone know why this is? Does this really reflect his potential? I would tend to think he may be a little better or more prepared then some of the other recruits with an exception of Kyrie...due to his experience playing collegiate basketball and the other recruits just being in high school

Osiagledknarf
02-18-2010, 04:20 PM
In addition...when looking at scout I saw that Carrick is only considered a one star recruit while others are considered four or five star recruits....does anyone know why this is? Does this really reflect his potential? I would tend to think he may be a little better or more prepared then some of the other recruits with an exception of Kyrie...due to his experience playing collegiate basketball and the other recruits just being in high school

I believe it is because he is coming out of a junior college and hasn't been evaluated enough to make a proper assessment on the player. ESPN gives him and Aziz a 40 ranking which means there pending tape evaluation. So no, I don't it has anything has anything to do with what they think about his ability or potential.

Here is the links to the ESPN'S Grading system:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=2639514

Aziz:

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=67239&season=2010&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d672 39%26season%3d2010

Carrick Felix:

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=104703&season=2010&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d104 703%26season%3d2010

I hope this helps out a bit.

airowe
02-18-2010, 04:22 PM

One-Star on Scout means not yet evaluated. Evan and Dave don't really spend a lot of time at JUCOs. I have read that he would probably be reevaluated as a 4-star if he was to be.

Go 2 Hell Carolina
02-18-2010, 04:24 PM

I am pretty sure that he hasn’t been evaluated since he is a JUCO player and they rate the HS players. You might be able to look him up the year before but I am not sure if they have that info or not.

oldnavy
02-18-2010, 04:26 PM
Not to rain on anyone's parade but lets keep this thread about Carrick Felix...I keep getting excited and looking to see if there was a new post with news about the Felix situation only to be dissappointed by a racial debate on whether Duke is using Nate James as a strategy to get black athletes.

Don't get me wrong I am african american and I like the convo just not the appropriate thread. Start a Nate James thread or something!!!

Nate James cannot be limited to a single thread, he is omnipotent.

Sorry, I couldn't resist, your point is well taken. :)

blueprofessor
02-18-2010, 04:31 PM
Felix's having been extended a scholarship by Duke raises some "intriguing" questions.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger

Best--Blueprofessor:)

Osiagledknarf
02-18-2010, 04:58 PM
Felix's having been extended a scholarship by Duke raises some "intriguing" questions.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger

Very exciting news. I think there is very little chance he slips away from us. He has gotten attention from a national program, gets to go to a program with a legendary coach and one who will be in contention for a national title for the next 2-3 years. This kid really excited me and I think he will be a quality contributor to this team.

I wonder if a contract offer to Aziz is coming next.

oldnavy
02-18-2010, 05:28 PM
Very exciting news. I think there is very little chance he slips away from us. He has gotten attention from a national program, gets to go to a program with a legendary coach and one who will be in contention for a national title for the next 2-3 years. This kid really excited me and I think he will be a quality contributor to this team.

I wonder if a contract offer to Aziz is coming next.

Great question. Seems like the intial interest was in Ndiaye, but I haven't seen or heard anything else about him...

Jim3k
02-18-2010, 05:42 PM
[/B]

Great question. Seems like the intial interest was in Ndiaye, but I haven't seen or heard anything else about him...

Not playing due to torn ACL.

blueprofessor
02-18-2010, 06:33 PM
[/B]

Ndiaye has scholarship offers from Oklahoma (visited),Oregon State,Washington,and Colorado. He has strong interest from Cal and UNLV; and Kansas is evaluating him. Duke had extended him an offer to visit.

MIKESJ73
02-19-2010, 10:36 AM
Is it possible that Felix would have three years of eligibility after transferring? He only played a total of 67 minutes last season in three games. I didn't know if he was hurt and received or DNP-CD giving him a redshirt year. The guy is also pretty young (he only turned 19 a few months ago), so he could still be growing. Seems like a good kid, I hope we get him.

I don't think the girlfriend thing would make a difference btw DUKE and ASU. She is a cheerleader at CSI and it is only a two year school. Worst case senario would be if she is a year behind him and could move to Durham after one season. Side Note = There is a picture of her wearing her new DUKE sweatshirt with a quote "Supporting the DUKE basketball team". Thats always good.

CDu
02-19-2010, 10:38 AM
Is it possible that Felix would have three years of eligibility after transferring? He only played a total of 67 minutes last season in three games. I didn't know if he was hurt and received or DNP-CD giving him a redshirt year. The guy is also pretty young (he only turned 19 a few months ago), so he could still be growing. Seems like a good kid, I hope we get him.

From what I've read (admittedly only from this thread), it sounds like it is not only possible but basically a given that he'll have three years of eligibility. He's viewed as a freshman despite having been at CSI for two years.

airowe
02-19-2010, 10:57 AM
From what I've read (admittedly only from this thread), it sounds like it is not only possible but basically a given that he'll have three years of eligibility. He's viewed as a freshman despite having been at CSI for two years.

Yes, he'll have 3 years of Division 1 Basketball Eligibility.

BlueintheFace
02-19-2010, 12:48 PM
Carrick Felix HAS NOT been offered a scholarship. Nobody close to the Duke Program has said that he has yet (or at least I have not heard/read about it). Felix has not said that he has. All that Duke has done is offer a visit to Felix and make it clear that a scholarship is in fact on the table as a possibility

Is it probable that he will get an offer? Yes

Is it probable that he will receive that offer and accept it in the coming weeks? Probably.

Just a clarification folks. And remember, K likes to extend offers when kids are on campus.

My instinct is that an offer and acceptance will occur sometime around the Carolina game, but that is pure speculation.

Kedsy
02-19-2010, 12:51 PM
We have extended an offer to Felix. Here is the link: http://www.magicvalley.com/sports/local/article_0a608a80-3097-52bd-bfa9-d7a87d5c026c.html

That article is from a week ago, and it was pretty well established at that time that, to the extent it implied we have actually offered Felix, it is wrong and we have in fact NOT extended an offer.

As far as your dream team is concerned, personally I think the team we expect to have next year sounds better (with or without Felix), although obviously nobody knows for sure who is staying, etc. Having said that, I expect our 2010-11 team to be pretty darn good, too, no matter which of the many fine recruits we are seeking decide to come to Duke.

blueprofessor
02-19-2010, 02:47 PM
Carrick Felix HAS NOT been offered a scholarship. Nobody close to the Duke Program has said that he has yet (or at least I have not heard/read about it). Felix has not said that he has. All that Duke has done is offer a visit to Felix and make it clear that a scholarship is in fact on the table as a possibility

Is it probable that he will get an offer? Yes

Is it probable that he will receive that offer and accept it in the coming weeks? Probably.

Just a clarification folks. And remember, K likes to extend offers when kids are on campus.

My instinct is that an offer and acceptance will occur sometime around the Carolina game, but that is pure speculation.

Felix (3 times) and his coach confirmed Felix has been offered a scholarship to Duke.So, he has in fact said he has a scholarship offer.
I do not personally ,as you apparently do not as well, know if this is true.
However, his coach said Coach K told the coach Felix has an offer for a scholarship and Felix also stated he has a scholarship offer.

The following is a post from my conversation with the sportswriter who knows the coach and Felix well and interviewed them about a duke scholarship:

"The sportswriter Mike Christensen (author of the article "Felix The First" at http://www.magicvalley.com/sports/lo...87d5c026c.html ) confirms that Felix told him 3 times that he has a scholarship offer from Duke and that Felix's coach corroborates that he has been offered a scholarship by Duke.

Apparently Herb Sendek visited yesterday and is making a hard push for Felix

Mike said Felix is a tremendous player in the open court and that Felix may be a Duke lean but it would not surprise him if Felix chose ASU because it's close to home."

Now maybe these guys are all mistaken and there has been a gigantic misunderstanding.Here is Mike's number:208--7353239.

Jim3k
02-19-2010, 04:19 PM
Mods -- shouldn't all these Felix references be in the Felix thread, not here in the Rivers thread?

Osiagledknarf
02-19-2010, 05:06 PM
Mods -- shouldn't all these Felix references be in the Felix thread, not here in the Rivers thread?

I'm sorry.. This all began when someone said that Felix wasn't offered and I provided evidence that he was.

oldnavy
02-19-2010, 05:19 PM
I'm sorry.. This all began when someone said that Felix wasn't offered and I provided evidence that he was.

Don't get so wrapped around the axel on this. Does anyone here actually think that he will NOT be offered at this point?

blueprofessor
02-19-2010, 05:24 PM

Thought you had retracted that evidence:

Originally Posted by airowe :
"There was some miscommunication as there often is in recruiting. The 'offer' was to invite both players to come on an official visit, which neither has done. Yet."

Osiagledknarf's response to airowe:
"I thought 'offer' meant they were offered an scholarship. My bad."

Nonetheless, Felix and his coach believe Felix has received a scholarship offer from Coach K.
We shall see.

JasonEvans
02-19-2010, 05:29 PM
Please note-- a number of posts about Felix have been added to this thread that were in the Rivers thread. Similarly, a number of posts in this thread that dealt exclusively with Rivers have been moved to that thread.

--Jason "mod much?" Evans

Osiagledknarf
02-19-2010, 05:33 PM
Thought you had retracted that evidence:

Originally Posted by airowe :
"There was some miscommunication as there often is in recruiting. The 'offer' was to invite both players to come on an official visit, which neither has done. Yet."

Osiagledknarf's response to airowe:
"I thought 'offer' meant they were offered an scholarship. My bad."

Nonetheless, Felix and his coach believe Felix has received a scholarship offer from Coach K.
We shall see.

That was before the offer.

Take a look at this: http://www.magicvalley.com/sports/local/article_0a608a80-3097-52bd-bfa9-d7a87d5c026c.html

That should tell you that this link is all true about Felix.

Case Closed.

oldnavy
02-19-2010, 05:34 PM

Take a look at this: http://www.magicvalley.com/sports/local/article_0a608a80-3097-52bd-bfa9-d7a87d5c026c.html

Case Closed.

I'm thinking not.... :rolleyes:

JasonEvans
02-19-2010, 05:39 PM
C'mon people, all this fretting about whether or not he has an offer is silly.

Here are the possibilities--

1) He has an offer and has not accepted it
2) He has not yet gotten an offer, but will in the future (perhaps when he makes a visit to Duke)
3) He will never get an offer

If #3 is the future, then none of this really matters anyway.

If #1 or #2 are the truth, can someone explain to me why they matter? Is there some presumption that he is more or less likely to come to Duke whether he already has an offer or whether he gets one on a visit? I never really udnerstood the hand-wringing over offers. Either a kid commits or not. Whether he was offered or not seems like somewhat meaningless semantics to me.

--Jason "I have no idea if he has an offer, but I bet he commits to Duke some time in the next 2 months" Evans

Kedsy
02-19-2010, 05:48 PM

Case Closed.

Case closed? You wrote the post Blueprofessor quoted on February 17. The article you are linking now is dated February 12. If it wasn't true on Wednesday, it's not true today.

You need to work on your legal skills.

(And Jason, I agree with you that whether or not he has an offer doesn't matter, but I also think citing a week old article as proof that something has changed in the past couple days needs to be challenged.)

dukeimac
02-19-2010, 06:32 PM
Me thinks this is the next Olek Czyz story.

CPDUKEGUY24
02-19-2010, 08:24 PM
--Jason "I have no idea if he has an offer, but I bet he commits to Duke some time in the next 2 months" Evans

According to Carrick's facebook, we will know in 3 weeks where he is going!

We may know even sooner than that Jason...

This revelation from the facebook world (one which I do not dabble in), leads me to believe his committment is a mere formality at this point :cool:

Also, with him putting a time frame on things (reading the tea leaves here), seems like he must be basing his decision on knowledge/resources he already has at his disposal, or is anticipating to be at his disposal in the near, 2 1/2 weeks or so, future. Wishful prognosticating :D

GO DUKE!

COYS
02-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Me thinks this is the next Olek Czyz story.

Considering that he is regarded as an excellent defender, I think this is unlikely. Olek offered some explosiveness on offense, but was not a good defender nor was he a polished offensive player. The reports seem to indicate that Felix is a great defender. At 6-7 if he can play the SF position, rebound, lock down opposing perimeter threats, and score on put backs, fast breaks (and maybe even some kick out threes), then he will fill a role that Olek was unable to fill. It also happens to be a roll we'll need next year with Lance leaving, even if Singler stays.

Greg_Newton
02-19-2010, 10:09 PM
Can anyone speak to why Carrick never played organized basketball before high school? I forget where I read this, or I'd link it. I'm just curious as to he's a) a lifelong basketball player who simply never played AAU/school ball, or b) only been playing basketball for 6 years. Big difference, IMO.

oldnavy
02-20-2010, 07:18 AM
Considering that he is regarded as an excellent defender, I think this is unlikely. Olek offered some explosiveness on offense, but was not a good defender nor was he a polished offensive player. The reports seem to indicate that Felix is a great defender. At 6-7 if he can play the SF position, rebound, lock down opposing perimeter threats, and score on put backs, fast breaks (and maybe even some kick out threes), then he will fill a role that Olek was unable to fill. It also happens to be a roll we'll need next year with Lance leaving, even if Singler stays.

He sounds like the perfect answer to Prince Harry down the road. I like the idea that he is a little older (makes a big difference with the physical side of the game) and has been playing against better competition for a couple of years. I really hope he can shut down HB when they meet. I trust in Nate, if he thinks the dude is nasty, then the dude will be nasty. Of course this is assuming that he in fact is offered and accepts a scholarship. :cool:

Devilsfan
02-20-2010, 07:41 AM
Sounds like he might be better for the battles of ACC play than some McD AA who comes in with heavy (faux) HS stats and really weak or not battle tested because he might have played against inferior competition. Hope he's not a project like the recent transfer or a player that struglles for three years before showing he deserves the very expensive scholarship he was given. I guess what I'm saying is recruiting is a crap shoot, but we could really use a player that's a MAN like Nate was.

CDu
02-20-2010, 10:42 AM
Can anyone speak to why Carrick never played organized basketball before high school? I forget where I read this, or I'd link it. I'm just curious as to he's a) a lifelong basketball player who simply never played AAU/school ball, or b) only been playing basketball for 6 years. Big difference, IMO.

I suspect it would be the former. There are lots of reasons why a kid who loves to play basketball might not have played organized basketball until high school. And I agree - there's a big difference. But I suspect that athletic American-born kids will have been playing basketball (at least informally) since before high school.

dukeimac
02-20-2010, 12:04 PM

LOL ROF BMG LMAO

You guys built Olek up so high and where did he fall?

I wonder sometimes if future recruits read these posts and run screaming from Duke? Some people have this guy (and others) set up so high that if he falls he really is going to break something. Too funny...

roywhite
02-20-2010, 12:15 PM
LOL ROF BMG LMAO

I wonder sometimes if future recruits read these posts and run screaming from Duke? Some people have this guy (and others) set up so high that if he falls he really is going to break something. Too funny...

Sorry to hear you're so cynical about Felix and Duke recruiting in general.

To be accurate, there was a wide difference of opinion on Olek Czyz. Some really loved him as a prospect, who could bring athletic ability, strength, and toughness to the court. Others were cautious or skeptical, so I don't think there was an overall great buildup for him.

New recruits are always somewhat of an unknown and fans tend to be enthusiastic or expect too much. But that's certainly not limited to Duke fans.

I personally like the direction of the program and recruiting in general. I hope Felix comes aboard, and I think he can make a significant contribution. Some of his (apparent) talents include potential as a defensive stopper and a good open-court player who is versatile.

Perhaps to your standards, this makes me a starry-eyed kool-aid drinker. So be it.

dukeimac
02-20-2010, 02:42 PM
i think if you look back on the Olek threads you will find nothing but talk about how he could jam the ball, how he was a high flyer, etc. People were even talking about how they thought he would he would have an impact on Duke "this" year. They referenced over and over again the YouTube videos of this guy.

Yes there were a few of those who were cautious about him but far more, just like this tread, just built and built the guy up. So much so that just about the only thing they can do is disappoint. Look at the Olek threads and see how many talked that guy up to how many were cautious. Probably about 50 to 1.

It is funny, but people don't learn from past history, i.e. Shav, Mc Roberts, etc. Nobody nows much about this guy yet, but because Duke has some interest, so everyone is high on him. Lets take our time and learn about him.

I'm very cautious of this guy because he is in a community college. I'm concerned he may not make the "grade" to be a Dukie. Most, and I said most, of those who go to a community college is because of their grades.

I wasn't high on Olek, Boykins, or King. Yet most of the talk about these guys was the YouYube videos and the good things they did. Gee I haven't seen one that shows their bad sides yet, I wonder when those are coming?

oldnavy
02-20-2010, 03:06 PM
i think if you look back on the Olek threads you will find nothing but talk about how he could jam the ball, how he was a high flyer, etc. People were even talking about how they thought he would he would have an impact on Duke "this" year. They referenced over and over again the YouTube videos of this guy.

Yes there were a few of those who were cautious about him but far more, just like this tread, just built and built the guy up. So much so that just about the only thing they can do is disappoint. Look at the Olek threads and see how many talked that guy up to how many were cautious. Probably about 50 to 1.

It is funny, but people don't learn from past history, i.e. Shav, Mc Roberts, etc. Nobody nows much about this guy yet, but because Duke has some interest, so everyone is high on him. Lets take our time and learn about him.

I'm very cautious of this guy because he is in a community college. I'm concerned he may not make the "grade" to be a Dukie. Most, and I said most, of those who go to a community college is because of their grades.

I wasn't high on Olek, Boykins, or King. Yet most of the talk about these guys was the YouYube videos and the good things they did. Gee I haven't seen one that shows their bad sides yet, I wonder when those are coming?

I trust that the staff will vet Mr. Felix appropriately for the academic challenges of Duke. As far as evaluating kids for impact on the program, it is somewhat of a crap shoot. All the players that have come to Duke under K have had talent. What cannot be predicted is how they will apply that talent to the system and if they will be coachable and fit in. All programs have this issue. Sometimes you miss big, aka McRoberts, and then sometimes you hit it big, aka Wojo. I specifically used Wojo as an example because he was probably the least talented kid to come to Duke in a while, yet he made a huge impact through his attitude and work ethic. McRoberts probably had some of the best skills, yet lacked the ability to apply those skills or the attitude to make a positive impact on the program.

As fans we naturally will build these kids up based on what we see on videos and hear about them. We all want them to do well, so it is natural. I agree with you however in that we probably should be a little more guarded with most of the recruits that come in.

sagegrouse
02-20-2010, 03:55 PM
LOL ROF BMG LMAO

You are not being fair, but -- Hey -- this is the Internet. There were only A FEW posters who touted Olek's skills to the heavens.

Most of the rest of us got word that the staff wanted Olek to redshirt and that he refused. After that, it was, "I'll bet he doesn't get off the bench."

And then some of his advocates, both here and in other fora, went so far as to blame the coaches for mishandlling an incredible talent and destroying his confidence. :eek::eek:

sagegrouse
'I'll say his talent was incredible'

omar
02-27-2010, 02:54 PM
Old news but then I have been away for a while. This past week, the USA Today reported in its on-line edition that Coach K offered a scholarship to a junior college player. Comments?

chrisheery
02-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Old news but then I have been away for a while. This past week, the USA Today reported in its on-line edition that Coach K offered a scholarship to a junior college player. Comments?

Comment:

Take the time to find the right thread and read it. Its title includes Carrick Felix, the player you are referring to. Many thoughts and comments have been shared in that thread.

jimsumner
02-27-2010, 02:57 PM
The search function is your friend.

-bdbd
02-27-2010, 11:12 PM
I suspect it would be the former. There are lots of reasons why a kid who loves to play basketball might not have played organized basketball until high school. And I agree - there's a big difference. But I suspect that athletic American-born kids will have been playing basketball (at least informally) since before high school.

He's a military brat. As one myself growing up, if you move every 2 years it becomes really hard to get any real continuity in terms of excelling at any one sport. You often move mid-season or after registration and miss playing for a full year (in my case it was baseball little leagues and sometimes soccer or BB). You don't have a set of friends to keep encouraging you to play, or to play with, nor any consistent coach, or facillities, etc. It can even become a hassle FINDING the new leagues right away in a new place. (What happens if you're a hockey player but move to FLA for 3 years, or a football or baseball player and move to Europe, etc??)

Like you said, "lots of reasons..."

DeBlueDevil
03-02-2010, 05:17 PM
So I just thought I'd touch on this subject since talk has seemed to fade away....I checked out his stats over the last 5 or 6 games and I didn't do the math but to give ya and idea he's averaging about 20 pts 6 rebs 2 asst recently. Looks like he's back to normal. He did have one or two games where he was held to like 3 pts but it happens.

Anybody have any recent news in regards to his recruitment over the last week? He definitely would take our current A rated class to like an A+ :)

roywhite
03-02-2010, 06:07 PM
So I just thought I'd touch on this subject since talk has seemed to fade away....I checked out his stats over the last 5 or 6 games and I didn't do the math but to give ya and idea he's averaging about 20 pts 6 rebs 2 asst recently. Looks like he's back to normal. He did have one or two games where he was held to like 3 pts but it happens.

Anybody have any recent news in regards to his recruitment over the last week? He definitely would take our current A rated class to like an A+ :)

There was some discussion of Carrick in a thread about recruits who might visit for the UNC game this weekend. This link from a local newspaper was included.

http://www.magicvalley.com/sports/article_2258ee6a-90cf-5fac-b71b-48482987c610.html

Loved this comment from Felix:

Said Felix: “We’re a championship team. I would not want to be on any other team than with these guys right here. They’re like my brothers. I love them all, each and every one of them. When we pull together we’re going to be a dangerous team, and we’re going to compete for the championship.”

m g
03-03-2010, 10:20 AM

Do YOU know the history? Because McRoberts' ability wasn't the problem - it was his attitude. And Randolph had a foot injury that the doctors couldn't quite figure out for most of his career. It's certainly wrong to say that people were only high on those two because Duke was interested - each was a standout high school whose reputation developed long before they committed.

There are a lot of reasons why people shouldn't have hyped up Olek so much, but the cases are very different. And it wasn't just about Duke's interest that made his stock rise - these guys named Pitino and Donovan were recruiting him (ever heard of them?), and UNC also showed some interest, among other high-major programs.

vango
03-05-2010, 08:47 AM
http://www.magicvalley.com/sports/article_e0e1b092-5761-5b36-b4f3-647995546a78.html

allenmurray
03-05-2010, 09:28 AM
It is funny, but people don't learn from past history, i.e. Shav, Mc Roberts, etc.

FWIW - Shav and McRoberts both belong to a very small club (membership of below 500) of NBA players, and both are millionaires from playing basketball. How 'bout you?

Tim1515
03-05-2010, 09:47 AM
Anyone who is expecting big things from Felix his first year is setting themselves up for disappointment.

Think of it this way...here is kid with what sounds like great athletic ability, won't need to sit out a year to play D1 next season, good kid with a great attitude, good grades, works hard.

Yet with all of that only a small group of schools are going after him?...Even after Duke threw their name in the mix.

I think Felix will be a nice roll player as a junior and more as a senior if he comes to Duke. Next year...especially if Kyle and Nolan return...he might get a few minutes of action.

El_Diablo
03-05-2010, 09:55 AM
Well, if Felix turns out to be as "bad" as McRoberts, then I'd be pretty happy with having a player who is on the All-ACC 2nd Team and ACC All-Defensive Team by his second year at Duke.

:rolleyes:

CrazieDUMB
03-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Anyone who is expecting big things from Felix his first year is setting themselves up for disappointment.

I think Felix will be a nice roll player as a junior and more as a senior if he comes to Duke. Next year...especially if Kyle and Nolan return...he might get a few minutes of action.

I think that's all we really want him to be. We already have the top end talent in Irving, Smith, Mason and (hopefully) Singler. All we need him to do is defend and rebound. I think if he does that effectively, he'll be considered a success, much like McClure.

I don't care much that other people aren't recruiting him (even though several high profile programs are). He's a JUCO player, of course he doesn't get national attention and a big spread on Scout.com. The fact is though, JUCO players are better than high school players, so the fact that he's doing well there is reassuring. I don't think he'll be playing more than 10 minutes next year, but that doesn't bother me. I just like knowing we have an extra athletic wing to raise the level of play in practice and contribute when he can.

roywhite
03-05-2010, 10:11 AM

Think of it this way...here is kid with what sounds like great athletic ability, won't need to sit out a year to play D1 next season, good kid with a great attitude, good grades, works hard.

Yet with all of that only a small group of schools are going after him?...Even after Duke threw their name in the mix.

We'll wait and see but I'm not sure your take is correct.

Felix didn't play last year, and came back this year as a stronger, tougher, more skilled player, who was beneath the radar due to his time off. He has performed well on a JuCo level, which is pretty good competition. In addition, other schools have shown interest, but Duke seems to be ahead in the process.

We're speculating here, but should he enroll at Duke, I think he'll make a contribution to next year's team, especially as a defender. Minutes? or expected scoring? Don't know.

Edit: Here's a story on Carrick Felix from an Idaho newspaper

http://dailyme.com/story/2010030400003302/ups-downs-felix-finds-soar-amid.html

Indoor66
03-05-2010, 10:18 AM
Ahhhhhh, the wonderful, proverbial new savior syndrome is alive and well at DBR.

roywhite
03-05-2010, 10:22 AM
Ahhhhhh, the wonderful, proverbial new savior syndrome is alive and well at DBR.

Please identify comments that qualify as treating him as a "new savior".

Saying he'll be a contributor? That he may be a good defender??

Come on, now.

DukieInBrasil
03-05-2010, 12:41 PM
Mr. Tim,

I think that there is a lot of reason to be hopeful/thankful that K is recruiting this guy and that he may end up here. Our roster currently does not have a player that fits his description, though we have at least one recruit coming in with a similar build/game. If Singler leaves for the draft then there will be a need for somebody to play at the SF or 3/4 type player and though he may not step in and put up numbers like Kyle did as a Fr., he'll definitely get minutes and if he just plays competently then he'll be a big help to the team. He has a big advantage in that he is going to whichever U. he chooses with 2 years of physical and emotional maturity under his belt, that counts a lot too. From things he has said/tweeted it sounds like he is a good teammate and that is important too.
I think that we would all like to be surprised in signing a relatively unknown yet totally awesome player, however, I think we would all be pleased if he 1) comes to Duke and 2) is able to help the team play better than it would without him.

Greg_Newton
03-05-2010, 02:57 PM
http://www.magicvalley.com/sports/article_e0e1b092-5761-5b36-b4f3-647995546a78.html

He continues to sound like a great kid... also liked that he specifically mentioned Duke for where he might be next fall. No matter how big a contributor he'd end up being next year, he's an superior run/jump athlete for his position, which is something we have precious few of currently. It's a nice wrinkle to have.

Interesting that it was in fact failing to qualify for the NCAA that kept him from enrolling in college straight out of high school... the popular perception here has been that it was due to his lack of high-level offers. I am almost glad to hear this, given his academics are in line now - his lack of initial offers could very well have been due insufficient academic qualifications (i.e. us and Bledsoe).

Kedsy
03-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Mr. Tim,

I think that there is a lot of reason to be hopeful/thankful that K is recruiting this guy and that he may end up here. Our roster currently does not have a player that fits his description, though we have at least one recruit coming in with a similar build/game. If Singler leaves for the draft then there will be a need for somebody to play at the SF or 3/4 type player and though he may not step in and put up numbers like Kyle did as a Fr., he'll definitely get minutes and if he just plays competently then he'll be a big help to the team. He has a big advantage in that he is going to whichever U. he chooses with 2 years of physical and emotional maturity under his belt, that counts a lot too. From things he has said/tweeted it sounds like he is a good teammate and that is important too.
I think that we would all like to be surprised in signing a relatively unknown yet totally awesome player, however, I think we would all be pleased if he 1) comes to Duke and 2) is able to help the team play better than it would without him.

I'm personally in the camp that wants Felix to come to Duke. We do need a player of his size who can (hopefully) guard big wings like Harrison Barnes. He's supposed to be very athletic and he seems like a good kid.

Having said that, however, the odds are he won't see a lot of minutes in his first year at Duke. We're going to be stacked next year and while I can see him playing more in games with matchups where our other wings can't defend adequately I would be surprised if he averaged as much as 10 minutes per game and I would expect a fair amount less. And that's if Kyle leaves. Certainly there's a chance that he'll come in and play better than expected and be our 7th or 8th man, but more likely he'd be our 9th, and the 9th guy in the rotation just doesn't play so many minutes at Duke. If Kyle stays, I think 5 minutes per game would be Mr. Felix's ceiling, with only rare appearances duing league games. Just my opinion, of course.

Tim1515
03-05-2010, 03:08 PM
I understand why people are excited and i'm not trying to be "down" on the kid. I just honestly believe there are a lot of people who will expect more from Felix then he will offer next year (if he comes to Duke).

That will lead to people saying K doesn't play guys enough minutes....or that we should've never recruited him. When in reality he probably just needs time to learn the Duke system and how to play at the ACC level.

If Kyle does leave i would be shocked if we don't see a heavy 3 guard lineup with Andre/Curry/Kelly in that order seeing the majority of the time at the 3.

enick66
03-05-2010, 03:25 PM
I understand why people are excited and i'm not trying to be "down" on the kid. I just honestly believe there are a lot of people who will expect more from Felix then he will offer next year (if he comes to Duke).

That will lead to people saying K doesn't play guys enough minutes....or that we should've never recruited him. When in reality he probably just needs time to learn the Duke system and how to play at the ACC level.

If Kyle does leave i would be shocked if we don't see a heavy 3 guard lineup with Andre/Curry/Kelly in that order seeing the majority of the time at the 3.

I agree. Felix will be 10th in the rotation if Singler returns next season and 9th if he goes pro. The 9th/10th guy off the bench doesn't get much run at Duke. Nolan, Miles, Mason, Dawkins, Kelly, Curry, Kyrie, and Josh are all gonna get in the game before Felix. It would be nice to get him, but it is for what he might bring in 2011 or 2012, imho.

DeBlueDevil
03-05-2010, 03:54 PM
My thoughts are nobody knows what K is going to do....I'm sure a lot of people thought Mason would be playing a lot more than he has this year or he'd be in the starting lineup by now but that hasn't happened. Fact is no one knows how much he'll play so why even assume you do know.

IMO I just think it would be a big help to have a guy with that type of size and athletic ability to help if Kyle does leave or any one (cross your fingers) gets hurt. Thats all. He's a great kid and would be a great addition to the roster from what I see.

fgb
03-05-2010, 05:00 PM
there's no reason to think that if c. felix decides to come, he won't get significant playing time. k has always maintained that he bases playing time on how well a player does in practice. if felix is on our roster next season, playing time will be as available to him as it will be any of his teammates; it is simply a question of him earning it.

stickdog
03-05-2010, 05:31 PM
Update (http://www.magicvalley.com/sports/article_c817811c-310e-59ce-9d4b-8d95712c3eab.html)

Josten Thomas showed character, Carrick Felix added some Carrick-ter and the College of Southern Idaho men’s basketball team rallied to gut out a 76-72 win over Snow College Thursday in the first round of the Region 18 Tournament. Thomas and Felix each scored 23 points as fourth-seeded CSI (20-11) advanced to face top seed North Idaho College at 7:30 p.m. today.

“We all just came together and got it done,” said Felix, who scored 21 of his points after halftime. “We need to forget the past, forget ourselves and play for what’s on the front of our jerseys.” ...

When Snow doubled down on Thomas in the second half, the redshirt freshman found open teammates on the perimeter, including Felix, who hit three second-half treys. Felix accounted for every point in a 9-0 run that helped tie the score at 49-49. He gave CSI its first lead of the half on his final trey with 8:25 to play. ...

Suffering from turf toe, Felix said his injury “hurts so bad.” But he wasn’t going to let it stop him or his team’s postseason run. “This is that championship team I’ve been talking about,” he said.

Felix 9-14 FG (3-5 from outside the arc), 2-3 FT, 23 points (21 in the second half)

ChicagoCrazy84
03-05-2010, 06:01 PM
Update (http://www.magicvalley.com/sports/article_c817811c-310e-59ce-9d4b-8d95712c3eab.html)

Josten Thomas showed character, Carrick Felix added some Carrick-ter and the College of Southern Idaho men’s basketball team rallied to gut out a 76-72 win over Snow College Thursday in the first round of the Region 18 Tournament. Thomas and Felix each scored 23 points as fourth-seeded CSI (20-11) advanced to face top seed North Idaho College at 7:30 p.m. today.

“We all just came together and got it done,” said Felix, who scored 21 of his points after halftime. “We need to forget the past, forget ourselves and play for what’s on the front of our jerseys.” ...

When Snow doubled down on Thomas in the second half, the redshirt freshman found open teammates on the perimeter, including Felix, who hit three second-half treys. Felix accounted for every point in a 9-0 run that helped tie the score at 49-49. He gave CSI its first lead of the half on his final trey with 8:25 to play. ...

Suffering from turf toe, Felix said his injury “hurts so bad.” But he wasn’t going to let it stop him or his team’s postseason run. “This is that championship team I’ve been talking about,” he said.

Felix 9-14 FG (3-5 from outside the arc), 2-3 FT, 23 points (21 in the second half)

Seems like Mr. Felix has had a lot of those where he starts off slowly or gets in foul trouble in the 1st half, then turns it on and goes off in the 2nd. It could just be his toe, but its interesting. A little foul trouble seems inevitable for him when he gets to D1

Newton_14
03-05-2010, 10:12 PM
The idea that the 8th or the 9th or the 10th guy in the rotation does not play many minutes at Duke is not entirely true. Playing time is more about ability to contribute, and less about which guy you are in the rotation.

In most years, I agree that the 9th guy and beyond do not see much time on the floor, however in years where Duke has had quality depth, K has absolutely played a deep rotation. In years where the rotation is only 6 or 7 or 8, it does not mean K doesn't want to go deeper, it simply means the guys not getting time are not ready to contribute.

Here is a look at the 1997/98 team in terms of minutes played per game:

Player MPG
1 Trajan Langdon 28.8
2 Steve Wojciechowski 28.2
3 Shane Battier 24.6
4 Roshown McLeod 23.7
5 Elton Brand 23.5
6 Chris Carrawell 22.2
7 William Avery 19.3
8 Mike Chappell 14.4
9 Chris Burgess 12.6
10 Taymon Domzalski 9.9
11 Ricky Price 8.0
12 Nate James 6.8

While the example I show is just one year, my point is, when K has kids that can make contributions, he finds a way to get them on the floor. There are other similar years as well.

DeBlueDevil
03-06-2010, 08:13 AM

If that doesn't say Duke all over it then I don't know what does. This kid is just the type of kid I think we'll need next year to compliment all the elite talent we'll already have. Though I'm impressed with his scoring and athletic ability, I just think sometimes you need that glue guy that is just tough and won't let his team lose. Every story I read about this kid whether it be his military background or bringing his grades up or playing a game with turf toe...he just refuses to lose and he plays for his teammates and not that our players next year won't have a killer instinct but sometimes you just need that one kid that fires us up....kinda like Kyle does for us year in and out, just doing all the intangibles. Thats why I want this kid

roywhite
03-07-2010, 07:06 PM
http://www.magicvalley.com/sports/article_4dbb2653-e82d-55bf-915d-375f65242ed7.html?mode=story

College of Southern Idaho and Carrick Felix ended their season with a loss in the semifinals of their conference tournament. Not a good outing for Carrick, who finished with 3 points (the article doesn't say, but the toe injury may have been a factor).

Perhaps we'll see further developments soon in the recruiting process, including a visit to Durham?

SCMatt33
03-07-2010, 08:07 PM
The idea that the 8th or the 9th or the 10th guy in the rotation does not play many minutes at Duke is not entirely true. Playing time is more about ability to contribute, and less about which guy you are in the rotation.

In most years, I agree that the 9th guy and beyond do not see much time on the floor, however in years where Duke has had quality depth, K has absolutely played a deep rotation. In years where the rotation is only 6 or 7 or 8, it does not mean K doesn't want to go deeper, it simply means the guys not getting time are not ready to contribute.

Here is a look at the 1997/98 team in terms of minutes played per game:

Player MPG
1 Trajan Langdon 28.8
2 Steve Wojciechowski 28.2
3 Shane Battier 24.6
4 Roshown McLeod 23.7
5 Elton Brand 23.5
6 Chris Carrawell 22.2
7 William Avery 19.3
8 Mike Chappell 14.4
9 Chris Burgess 12.6
10 Taymon Domzalski 9.9
11 Ricky Price 8.0
12 Nate James 6.8

While the example I show is just one year, my point is, when K has kids that can make contributions, he finds a way to get them on the floor. There are other similar years as well.

You have to be careful when looking at minutes per game numbers from an entire season. They can be very deceiving as to a player's actual contribution. The guys at the bottom of the list often get a chance to play real minutes only in early season games against cupcakes. Also, the averages only account for games in which a player was on the court and doesn't average in a "zero" for a dnp, even if it was a coaches decision.

For example, let's look at the season you pointed out, 97-98. The sum of those minutes averages is 222 even though there are only 200 minutes available in a single game. If you add in the couple of players not listed who averaged less than 6 mpg, the sum is 228.1, leading someone to believe that there were almost 30 extra minutes per game to be played.

How did that happen?

First, Nate James only played in 6 games, making his minutes pretty meaningless. It would be like looking back at this year and claiming that Olek was a significant contributor because the stats will say that he averaged over 10 mpg. Obviously not the case. Of the 36 games played that year, Elton Brand and Ricky Price only played in 21 g and Taymon Domzalski only played in 26.

Another thing that gets skewed is trends. For example, if you look at last year's stats, It would appear that 9 people contributed 10 mpg but at the end of the year, there were really only 7 players contributing that significantly. The stats say that both Greg Paulus and Elliot Williams averaged 16 mpg, but it doesn't account for the fact that only one of them ever got those kind of minutes in any single game against a good team. Also, Dave McClure's minutes declined significantly at the end, often only playing 5-10 minutes per game, instead of the 15 that he averaged.

I'm not saying that you're original point is necessarily false, but you have to look at more than just mpg to prove it.

DeBlueDevil
03-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Looks like Felix made his all conference team. Congrats to him! Anyone know the timeframe for which he will announce if he will transfer to Duke no that his season has concluded?

http://www.magicvalley.com/sports/article_c749a013-7fa9-549a-8102-52af93d2ac59.html

SupaDave
03-08-2010, 02:24 PM
Looks like Felix made his all conference team. Congrats to him! Anyone know the timeframe for which he will announce if he will transfer to Duke no that his season has concluded?

http://www.magicvalley.com/sports/article_c749a013-7fa9-549a-8102-52af93d2ac59.html

Yep - Felix. IF Duke is in his future...

Kewlswim
03-08-2010, 04:19 PM
Hi,

There goes "Felix the Cat" for another rebound. Sounds good to me, particularly if he is in a Duke uniform.

GO DUKE!

sdotbarbee
03-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Carrick Felix's facebook status today! DUKE SUNDAY!!!! HERE I COME ....

RepoMan
03-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Carrick Felix's facebook status today! DUKE SUNDAY!!!! HERE I COME ....

Well, hard to interpret that any way other than great news!

CDu
03-11-2010, 05:33 PM
Well, hard to interpret that any way other than great news!

Hopefully there will be a 2010 ACC tournament trophy to show off to him.

sdotbarbee
03-11-2010, 05:37 PM
I guess he will visit Duke on Sunday and he said he will make his announcement after spring break which can't be far off.

wilko
03-11-2010, 05:47 PM
Hopefully things will work out and we can have a new player to look forward to.
Im anxious for some good news...

Maybe Felix and Haynes, who knows...

Cisco
03-11-2010, 05:49 PM
Haynes?

Umm .. whos Haynes again?

crote
03-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Haynes?

From what I gather, this guy. (http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=4787809)

I hadn't heard the name before, either, but he's on the front page of Duke's Scout site. Scout doesn't have him ranked, Rivals puts him as a three star with offers from South Florida, Xavier, and Minnesota.

There's a lot to like about 6-6 220, regardless what kind of player he is.

-bdbd
03-11-2010, 06:00 PM
Haynes?

Michael Haynes:

PF Michael Haynes (Heat Academy) Collinsville, VA 6-6/220

He's a pretty recent arrival on the Duke radar - within the last month or so. Relatively unheralded, unpolished apparently, but with great athleticism. Note: 6'6" and listed as PF. IOW, oriented towards an interior game (think Nate James with less scooring ability, in High School). Does not have a Duke offer yet that we know of.

I think part of the equation will be how comfortable the staff is going into next season with our bigs (potentially as few as 3 interior players, including Hairston).

superdave
03-11-2010, 08:11 PM
How does Gbinije's commitment affect Felix? I take it we want both, correct?

BlueintheFace
03-11-2010, 08:51 PM
How does Gbinije's commitment affect Felix? I take it we want both, correct?

absolutely