PDA

View Full Version : Most Memorable Cameron Crazy Moments of the Decade

wbs2455
12-24-2009, 01:26 PM
I noticed DBP is looking for input on the top 10 most memorable moments from the crazies (or chants, antics, etc) from the decade and was trying to think back to some of my favorites...

Sean May chasing after a big mac box at center court
red slippers on roy's chair for his first trip to cameron
we did a "jenny we've got your number" rendition for an opposing player (last name jenny) whose actual cell phone number someone discovered, but I can't remember who he played for
convincing the unc women's team during warmups that Rashanda McCants starred in the movie "jawanna man"

I can only comment on 2002-2003 and on, but it would be great for some other alumni to remind me of what I've forgotten

rasputin
12-24-2009, 01:36 PM
I noticed DBP is looking for input on the top 10 most memorable moments from the crazies (or chants, antics, etc) from the decade and was trying to think back to some of my favorites...

Sean May chasing after a big mac box at center court
red slippers on roy's chair for his first trip to cameron
we did a "jenny we've got your number" rendition for an opposing player (last name jenny) whose actual cell phone number someone discovered, but I can't remember who he played for
convincing the unc women's team during warmups that Rashanda McCants starred in the movie "jawanna man"

I can only comment on 2002-2003 and on, but it would be great for some other alumni to remind me of what I've forgotten

Wasn't that Keith Jenifer of Virginia?

wbs2455
12-24-2009, 01:39 PM
That sounds right...

BlueintheFace
12-24-2009, 02:35 PM
Paul Davis: "Call her back"

Making fun of Venezuela and Chavez to Vasquez

"The Zou"- One tent went as 12 animals consisting of the Zou

Crazies dressing up as inmates for McCants

The "Ron Weasley" chant to that redhead from NC state

dukestheheat
12-24-2009, 02:46 PM
We used to throw tennis balls across the court before the game and that was just plain old fun!

Also, we tossed some Twinkies at Dennis Scott when he'd gained a lot of weight and his name was announced as a starter for Tech. The dude ate the Twinkie.

dukestheheat.

Kedsy
12-24-2009, 03:16 PM
Also, we tossed some Twinkies at Dennis Scott when he'd gained a lot of weight and his name was announced as a starter for Tech. The dude ate the Twinkie.

Yeah, but the OP wanted memorable moments from this decade, not the ghost of crazies past.

blazindw
12-24-2009, 03:33 PM
Other Cameron Crazy moments:

-2002 Duke-GT game where Coach K got a technical foul for yelling at a GT player. He then proceeds to flip out and tell Cameron to get on their feet. An intimidated GT player misses 4 free throws in a row over the din of Cameron. My absolute all-time favorite moment in Cameron

-Umm...how did Speedo Guy not get mentioned?!

-Little Duhon! Little Boozer! Little Point Guard! 2000 Michigan Game (most notable for the 37-2 start)

-Fe! Fi! Fo! Fum! and "Please don't eat me!" - Nigel Dixon, FSU games

-2003 MD home game. Us line monitors got into Gary Williams' head so bad, with 45 seconds left in the game he rushed the court to scream every 4-letter word in the book at me and a line monitor...WHILE the game was still being played at the other end of the court! Somehow, the refs did not see him standing 10 feet from the Crazies in the middle of the court, but I found it hilarious that I and a couple other line monitors could get into his head so bad.

-The sign before the UNC game either in '04 or '05 that read "UNC: The ride home tonight will be the LONGEST 8 miles of your life!"

devildeac
12-24-2009, 03:45 PM
Against vt on their 1st visit to CIS:

1. With the hokie pokies down by > 35 points, the Crazies start chanting "need five touchdowns."
2. After greenberg got tossed, the Crazies point to K and chant "coach" and then at the vt bench and chant "no coach."

juise
12-24-2009, 03:56 PM
My favorite sign (from the 2001 Maryland home game):

Steve Blake's family tree [straight line]

Honorable mention: Reading Steve Blake's Johnny Rockets essay (linked in Jumbo's sig) out loud to him during warm-ups (2002).

DukieBoy
12-24-2009, 07:17 PM
Being a fan from only about 02 or 03 on, I'd say my top 2 were

SPEEDO GUY

And against NC State two years ago, the Crazies had on green shirts for some kind of green week similar to the the Kansas-Michigan game last weekend. With us down at half, the Crazies took off their shirts and threw them on the court. Needless to say, we blew out NC State in the second half.

blazindw
12-24-2009, 08:52 PM
My favorite sign (from the 2001 Maryland home game):

Steve Blake's family tree [straight line]

Honorable mention: Reading Steve Blake's Johnny Rockets essay (linked in Jumbo's sig) out loud to him during warm-ups (2002).

Same sign: Steve Blake's eyebrows [horizontal line] LOLOL

NovaScotian
12-24-2009, 09:45 PM
And against NC State two years ago, the Crazies had on green shirts for some kind of green week similar to the the Kansas-Michigan game last weekend. With us down at half, the Crazies took off their shirts and threw them on the court. Needless to say, we blew out NC State in the second half.

i was actually pretty ashamed of my fellow crazies after that display. taking off the shirts to change the mojo was one thing, but throwing them on the court was really disrespectful to the cameron staff who had to pick up several hundred shirts.

That said, my favorite moment was during a davidson game in 2005 or 2006 chanting "daddy's angry" when coach mckillop's son missed a few shots in a row. runners up include chanting "burger king" at vt forward jeff king, who was quite the chunkster and of course pointing at laughing at coleman collins from the court after sean dockery's miracle buzzer beater.

sagegrouse
12-24-2009, 11:43 PM
And what year did the Blue Streak run around the court?

sagegrouse

geraldsneighbor
12-25-2009, 12:18 AM
Yelling at Stephen Curry "You can't eat that!" with his infamous mouth guard he wore last year. Also "Stephen's mom has got is going on" song sung by the crazy's.... and then we got his brother. Nice!

Also anytime GTHC is chanted in CIS.

blazindw
12-25-2009, 12:26 AM
And what year did the Blue Streak run around the court?

sagegrouse

Duke-UNC '03

JetpackJesus
12-25-2009, 07:53 PM
My favorite memory in Cameron was when Gary Williams flipped off the Crazies after the constant "Sweat, Gary, Sweat!" barrage. He just lost it completely.

I also liked the time where a GT fan brought a yellow 4.5 sign. No one knew what the hell it meant so the Crazies pointed at him and chanted "Size in Inches!"

I asked him after the game what it meant and he said it was based on a Julius Hodge quote after Duke held him to 7 points and crushed NCSU in Cameron the previous game. He said Duke students were a bunch of zit faced 4.5 GPA nerds, or something to that effect. The GT fan was actually a super nice guy, and he was very complimentary of the Crazies.

blazindw
12-25-2009, 08:40 PM
My favorite memory in Cameron was when Gary Williams flipped off the Crazies after the constant "Sweat, Gary, Sweat!" barrage. He just lost it completely.

You're welcome. ;)

I also liked the time where a GT fan brought a yellow 4.5 sign. No one knew what the hell it meant so the Crazies pointed at him and chanted "Size in Inches!"

I asked him after the game what it meant and he said it was based on a Julius Hodge quote after Duke held him to 7 points and crushed NCSU in Cameron the previous game. He said Duke students were a bunch of zit faced 4.5 GPA nerds, or something to that effect. The GT fan was actually a super nice guy, and he was very complimentary of the Crazies.

I remember that guy too! He really was a nice guy, and I remember him after the game taking pictures with Crazies and in K-Ville. Great sign to make fun of, but a good guy who definitely got respect and gave respect.

dukegirlinsc
12-25-2009, 09:31 PM
As mentioned earlier, my personal favorite was the "sweat Gary, sweat!" chant. I still giggle thinking about that.

Tom B.
12-25-2009, 09:47 PM
There was a great sign at the game against UNC in Cameron in 2003, which ended up being Matt Doherty's last season at the helm in Chapel Hill (I think I'm remembering the sign correctly):

Things Doherty hates:

2001 -- Duke cheerleaders

2002 -- His dog

2003 -- His players

2004 -- Unemployment checks

The backstory -- during the 2000-2001 season, Doherty had made some crack about how Duke's cheerleaders were ugly, and it got picked up in the press. The next season (2001-2002) was the year Carolina cratered and finished 8-20. After one particularly bad loss that year (might have been against Duke), Doherty was quoted as saying he felt like going home and kicking his dog.

The last two are self-explanatory. :)

And yes, I know it was sophomoric, but I always got a giggle out of the "Insert Big Johnson" sign that appeared in Cameron many times from 2002-2006 for Patrick Johnson.

1999ballboy
12-25-2009, 10:26 PM
My freshman year was 04-05, and there were some really good memories from that year. The UNC game was notable of course for the outcome, but also for the intensity of the crowd. I couldn't name you a specific chant from that game, but the energy in Cameron has never come close to that in any game I've been to.

The Wake Forest game that year (aka the Patrick Davidson game) was probably the Crazies' most creative effort. There was a mustachioed Wake fan who got there way before the game so he could bring a bunch of signs with which to taunt the Crazies. We chanted "Midlife Crisis" and shut him up pretty good. Also, during the game, Taron Downey got to the free throw line at one point, which was notable because in their last game, he had blown two free throws against FSU to lose them the game. The Crazies greeted him with the Seminole Chop to remind him. I know he missed at least the first one.

The tormenting of Paul Davis was another favorite of mine.

ArtVandelay
12-26-2009, 02:51 PM
Holding up Ed Cota's mugshot for his free throws, circa 2000.

DukePA
12-26-2009, 03:50 PM
Holding up Ed Cota's mugshot for his free throws, circa 2000.

"Guilty, guilty, guilty!"

Devilsfan
12-26-2009, 05:39 PM
Ed Cotas' mug in his horizontal pin stripes was one of my favorites too. The "just say no" chant, and the "jingling" of keys for Steve Lavin's "choir boys" was also pretty creative.

TNDukeFan
12-26-2009, 06:12 PM
After the reports of Maryland's horrible academic record, two signs during the next game:
"Fear the Classroom"
"A Mind is a Terrapin Thing to Waste"

TallMan
12-26-2009, 06:36 PM
I think it was the EA Sports All-Stars Exhibition game from fall 2000, but Ed Cota evidently stayed in his hotel room instead of facing the Crazies. During the opposing team introductions, the Crazies chanted "Hi <insert name>! Where's Ed???"

Signs for Kris Lang and Joe Forte from UNC 2001:
"Lang kin speek gud"
"Handling balls is Joe's Forte"

Chant from 2004 Maryland for Nik Caner-Medlely: "Two names, no game"

DukeBlueNikeShox
12-26-2009, 06:49 PM
My favorite was the time when Donald Hand played for Virginia. When Hand was shooting a free throw, the Crazies started chanting: "haaand joooob! haaaaand joooob!" and doing the motion (use your imagination). After calling a timeout, Coach K proceeded to march across the court to the Crazies and said: "DON'T EVER SAY THAT AGAIN! GOT IT?!!!" It was so quiet, you could have heard a pin drop...

However, I don't think anything will top the time when the #1 Lady Vols came to Cameron to play #2 Duke. One of their players, Alexis Hornbuckle, was arrested for misdemeanor shoplifting from Wal-Mart. The Crazies greeted her with plastic bags from Wal-Mart and chanted things like "Roll Back Pri-ces!" Pat was soooo furious with the Crazies, she threatened that if they "were going to take personal shots at her players, then the Lady Vols would not be returning to Cameron..."

blazindw
12-26-2009, 07:35 PM
My favorite was the time when Donald Hand played for Virginia. When Hand was shooting a free throw, the Crazies started chanting: "haaand joooob! haaaaand joooob!" and doing the motion (use your imagination). After calling a timeout, Coach K proceeded to march across the court to the Crazies and said: "DON'T EVER SAY THAT AGAIN! GOT IT?!!!" It was so quiet, you could have heard a pin drop...

However, I don't think anything will top the time when the #1 Lady Vols came to Cameron to play #2 Duke. One of their players, Alexis Hornbuckle, was arrested for misdemeanor shoplifting from Wal-Mart. The Crazies greeted her with plastic bags from Wal-Mart and chanted things like "Roll Back Pri-ces!" Pat was soooo furious with the Crazies, she threatened that if they "were going to take personal shots at her players, then the Lady Vols would not be returning to Cameron..."

Was that UVa game back in '01 when they were #10 in the nation? I don't remember that happening during the game, although I was on the non-TV side and was just mainly laughing at people chanting "Doooo-nald!" at Mr. Hand...as a matter of fact, I quite enjoyed people chanting my name. ;) IIRC, that is still the largest margin of victory between 2 Top-10 teams (won by 42).

I also was there for the Tennessee game. I think that is the last time they've played at Cameron as well, although I believe they have played at Knoxville once since then.

SushiChef
12-26-2009, 10:03 PM
My personal favorite was high fiving JJ's grandmother after Dockery hit the shot against VaTech. Another one of my favorites is harassing Michigan State's Paul Davis about his recent breakup.

LanceChef
12-27-2009, 05:39 PM
5.) One of the grad students stretching with Clemson using Oglesby's "fitness log"

4.) The crowd singing "Zombie Nation" through an entire Wake Forest timeout after a huge Duke run

3.) The Paul Davis heckling leading to the game-sealing missed free throws (best "sixth man" moment by far)

2.) The "Green Revolution"

1.) Speedo Guy #1

PumpkinFunk
12-27-2009, 08:25 PM
The Walmart stuff for Alexis Hornbuckle, and Patricia's blowup after that in the press and in the game. That is the most underrated Cameron moment, by far, from the decade.

UrinalCake
12-28-2009, 01:13 PM
This might have been a little more than a decade ago but in one preseason game there was an opponent who had long dredlocks. When he was at the line we chanted "you shot the sheriff" and he actually laughed so hard that he stepped forward and committed a lane violation.

Mike Corey
12-28-2009, 06:01 PM
1) Pasha's rendition of Sean May with the McDonald's box on the end of a fishing pole
2) The "Inspiration" sign for Coach K, and the "Perspiration" sign for Gary Williams
3) The Crazy who, dressed as Cupid, approached an N.C. State player before tip-off with a heart and a rose. The refs went over to yell at the Crazy, but upon seeing the outfit, laughed so hard they insisted he pose with them in front of the CBS cameras.
4) The "pass" and "ballhog" chants yelled every time Julius Hodge touched the ball.
5) The Crazy imitations of Smiegel when hosting Butler (I think it was Butler).

blazindw
12-28-2009, 10:06 PM
1) Pasha's rendition of Sean May with the McDonald's box on the end of a fishing pole
2) The "Inspiration" sign for Coach K, and the "Perspiration" sign for Gary Williams
3) The Crazy who, dressed as Cupid, approached an N.C. State player before tip-off with a heart and a rose. The refs went over to yell at the Crazy, but upon seeing the outfit, laughed so hard they insisted he pose with them in front of the CBS cameras.
4) The "pass" and "ballhog" chants yelled every time Julius Hodge touched the ball.
5) The Crazy imitations of Smiegel when hosting Butler (I think it was Butler).

3) What a funny moment!

5) It was Butler (before they were really good but in their getting decent days)

coldriver10
12-28-2009, 11:17 PM
Haha, I had forgotten about the Alexis Hornbuckle one...that is classic. I will say that besides UNC, I've always enjoyed going to State games because of the taunts.

One chant I found amusing that hasn't yet been mentioned was against basketball powerhouse Columbia, back in 2002 or so, when we chanted "Safety school" repeatedly. And chanting "nuestra casa" during MD.

JetpackJesus
12-29-2009, 07:32 AM

This was a Wake fan, not a GT fan. No idea what I was thinking when I typed that before. I guess I got my black and yellows mixed up. Just thought I'd clarify.

Battierfan01
12-29-2009, 12:12 PM
And yes, I know it was sophomoric, but I always got a giggle out of the "Insert Big Johnson" sign that appeared in Cameron many times from 2002-2006 for Patrick Johnson.[/QUOTE]

I have heard the crazies do the "Insert Johnson" chant this year with Steve Johnson. It always makes me laugh. :)

showtime08
12-29-2009, 02:02 PM
Just thinking of Speedo Guy makes me laugh

VAGentleman05
12-29-2009, 10:01 PM
During the Maryland game last year, with Duke up big at halftime, there was a grad student yelling "Sweat, Gary, Sweat" as the Terps came out of the tunnel for the 2nd half. Gary Williams stopped walking, took a few steps toward the guy, pointed at his chest, and said "You're fat and you're ugly." It was one of the best/most hilarious sports-related moments of my life.