PDA

View Full Version : Duke Flops

BlueDevilBaby
12-23-2009, 02:16 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/magazine/specials/2000s/12/18/decade-flops/index.html

Come on, Jacob. You could have come up with something better than this for one of your flops of the 2000s. Guess he just did not want to think too hard.

miramar
12-23-2009, 02:45 PM
we're worse than Charlie Weis and Darko Milicic! Not to mention our old friend Steve Spurrier.

At leasts SI lists George Mason's 2006 NCAA run as the #2 upset of the decade (right behind the Giants beating the Patriots), which of course included victories over our buddies at Carolina and UConn.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0912/all-decade.greatest.upsets.2000s/content.9.html

shoutingncu
12-23-2009, 02:48 PM
And I thought you might have been referring to this list:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/12633495/power-rankings-flop-flop-it-must-stop

geraldsneighbor
12-23-2009, 02:59 PM
How is Duke a bigger flop than Matt Millen...lol. That list is a joke.

Channing
12-23-2009, 03:07 PM
I actually thought it was kind of funny. Nobody can argue that Duke players arent well versed in attempting to draw a charge. Sometimes that results in a ridiculous looking flop - which Paulus was occasionally guilty of.

As Duke fans we don't view Duke's defense as flopping, but to the rest of the country Duke basketball is synonomous with flopping (putting aside that every team does it).

I don't think its anything to get too bent out of shape over.

sagegrouse
12-23-2009, 03:08 PM
Utterly inane and totally unserious. He is starting his list of the biggest flops of the 2000s decade with a play on words: Duke basketballers taking charges. Moreover, how, pray tell, is JJ Redick kicking his feet out on jump shots a "flop?" And why should Greg Paulus be the poster boy for taking charges?

He can't possibly mean Duke basketball is the biggest flop of the decade, inasmuch as we won more games than any other team.

What a ninny!

sagegrouse

RelativeWays
12-23-2009, 03:28 PM
Lat I checked, Tyler Hansbrough played for UNC, not Duke.

jv001
12-23-2009, 04:15 PM
Lat I checked, Tyler Hansbrough played for UNC, not Duke.

I was wondering about hansflop when reading the article. Player of the decade(ACC) was the best I've seen at flopping. As for the other article, sheed wallace compains about everthing(foul king). He's not a good person to quote. Go Duke!

BlueDevilBaby
12-23-2009, 05:05 PM
It is rather humerous and I'm not really bent out of shape over it, but it seems to me that flopping is pervasive in college bball, not just at Duke, and in the NBA.

cspan37421
12-23-2009, 06:08 PM
The really incredible thing about Greg Paulus is that in his "flops," he managed to give himself black eyes and cuts across the top of his nose and elsewhere on his face. Imagine the acting skill necessary to cause your skin to react in such a way! ;)

IIRC a Gonzaga player flopped badly last weekend, anticipating contact that never came. Duke guy (forget, Jon maybe?) faked a drive, backed out, took a shot, while the Zag started his fall with his guy 3' away.

cspan37421
12-23-2009, 06:12 PM
btw, when Jacob writes "The technique drew national ire first with Shane Battier in the early part of the decade, ...." I infer he a) isn't very old, b) has no sense of history or c) breadth of knowledge. There are more coarse words for it, but I'll leave that be.

weezie
12-23-2009, 08:29 PM
Oh Jacob, Jacob Luft..you with your online comment job for Picture Magazine of Sports (because nobody reads your sad outdated articles....)

Ol' Jacob must be pleased as punch that his narsty little post is getting this much attention. Big time now, eh Jakeboy?

roywhite
12-23-2009, 08:34 PM
btw, when Jacob writes "The technique drew national ire first with Shane Battier in the early part of the decade, ...." I infer he a) isn't very old, b) has no sense of history or c) breadth of knowledge. There are more coarse words for it, but I'll leave that be.

Indeed. El-Deano himself taught upper level "Flopping" and "Faking Contact" courses for years in Chapel Hill.

Kimist
12-24-2009, 12:47 AM
One of my favorite pictures....

gep
12-24-2009, 02:22 AM
One of my favorite pictures....

hahaha... gotta be the "jetstream" :)

soccerstud2210
12-24-2009, 09:56 AM
this article both made me laugh and furious.

the duke hate is everywhere. it is unreal!

funny though.

especially that pic above! ^

ScreechTDX1847
12-24-2009, 10:32 AM
The really incredible thing about Greg Paulus is that in his "flops," he managed to give himself black eyes and cuts across the top of his nose and elsewhere on his face. Imagine the acting skill necessary to cause your skin to react in such a way! ;)

IIRC a Gonzaga player flopped badly last weekend, anticipating contact that never came. Duke guy (forget, Jon maybe?) faked a drive, backed out, took a shot, while the Zag started his fall with his guy 3' away.

Come on though. Greg took his fair share of "whiffs".

cspan37421
12-24-2009, 11:22 AM
Come on though. Greg took his fair share of "whiffs".

Must have been when I wasn't watching. I don't see every game.

sandinmyshoes
12-24-2009, 11:32 AM
All basketball players are taught/urged to flop. It's up to the refs to make the judgement. A smart basketball player takes what they can. So if they are willing to give up their body, be it our Devils or Hansbrough, and the refs don't call it, flop away.

On the other hand, if you over sell and the refs start favoring the offense, you just have to adjust. I don't really think the refs consciously favor one player or program over another. I think some players and programs are better at selling the call. Rather than whine about it, get smarter players and coach 'em better.

DukeBlueDevils47
12-26-2009, 09:53 PM
I love how every time we take a charge we are "flopping." When really our players are just smart and know how to draw fouls.

biscuit30
12-27-2009, 05:48 PM
What is with the J. J. Redick and the offensive foul? Reggie Miller made a good living in the NBA with his kicking his leg and getting fouled.