PDA

View Full Version : This is how Texas handles free throw distractions

SCMatt33
12-22-2009, 07:55 PM
I was just watching the Texas-Michigan St. game and during a Damion James free throw, a Michigan State fan used what sounded like an air horn to distract him. Despite this being a legitimate rules violation, the Texas security simply confiscated the air horn and allowed the woman to stay. Roy Williams could learn a thing or two from Texas.

Indoor66
12-22-2009, 08:05 PM
I was just watching the Texas-Michigan St. game and during a Damion James free throw, a Michigan State fan used what sounded like an air horn to distract him. Despite this being a legitimate rules violation, the Texas security simply confiscated the air horn and allowed the woman to stay. Roy Williams could learn a thing or two from Texas.

Yeah, Roy could have had them cut out his vocal cords. :eek:

cspan37421
12-22-2009, 09:23 PM
or duct-tape his mouth. Maybe that's an idea for when UNC comes to town. A little silent protest!

grad_devil
12-22-2009, 09:25 PM

I just saw this same event and was going to comment on it. I'm not even sure if Barnes noticed, but the refs stopped the game after a made free throw, pointed the woman out to security, who actually SPOKE with the michigan st fan. Novel idea, right? She handed over the air horn, and returned to her seat.

No instance of Roy'd Rage here....nicely done.

moonpie23
12-23-2009, 01:37 PM
wait till CLEMSON FAN shows up at the dean dome......and WINS...

that's gonna be an ugly day in chapel hole..

airowe
12-23-2009, 01:41 PM

Unfortunately, we have to wait till next season for that.

rasputin
12-23-2009, 04:10 PM

And Klemnop either will, or will not, streak.

Indoor66
12-23-2009, 04:13 PM
And Klemnop either will, or will not, streak.

Klemnop may be getting a little long in the tooth for streaking. Maybe Klemnop, Jr will fulfill the prophesy.

texas
12-23-2009, 08:30 PM
we're still trying to figure out who this lady is, she was sitting just a few rows behind the MSU bench so in the family/friends seats for MSU. we had a big discussion about it on our messageboard. someone said she was sitting next to the former gov of michigan also.

ricks68
12-24-2009, 02:26 AM
I was at the game sitting at midcourt, diagonally across from the lady. She was wearing a top that was lime green in color that stood out from the other Michigan St. green seated around her. She actually used the horn twice. Since I remembered Ozzie's story about his horn confiscation (Is that correct? If not, please correct me in a kind way on this, as I am old and deserve some consideration in that respect.), and was up to date on the rules violation. After it happened the second time (I was surprised it was ignored the first time.), the fingers started pointing from all different directions as the cops closed in. While the game was stopped, the indoor TV screen did not broadcast the ensuing confrontation. There was a smattering of boos, but no big deal by the fans. I wondered why she was not thrown out and why there was no technical foul assessed, since it is a rule violation. But then, I am only familiar with the fact that it is a violation, and not with the consequences.

By the way, this could be Texas' year. Seriously. This is a different kind of Texas team with a whole different kind of attitude--------and they are already proving it. They don't really care if they don't have all the seats filled. They just plain want to win, and have the horses to do it. From a relative of mine tonight, who supplied (legitimately paid for) Barnes and his head recruiter with automobiles, the coaches feel that it doesn't matter who is in foul trouble or is tired, they said they will just run another one in to take their place who is just as good. And from what I saw, they are all really, really good.

Other salient thoughts via my relative: Barnes said that he has the easiest bball coaching job in the country. No pressure at all, as it doesn't matter if he never wins a championship. Football is THE sport at Texas, and anything else is a very, very distant second. He also said that he didn't care if Durant was a one-and-done, as it would be a big boost to his recruiting if it increased the program's national exposure. In addition, he said that he wanted to play Duke with a home-and-home, but K does not want to come to Texas, and Barnes is not going to go to NY for his home game.

Note the big difference in the Horns' defense this year. They are actually playing it. Now we will see if Barnes is finally going to come of age and win the big one. It's very possible, and it would be a nice thing to happen------especially for someone who put it to the guys down the road last week. (Of course, considering if we don't win it all, why not them as a second choice?)

And lastly, the stuff from Barnes to my relative was said over lunch at Kreuz Market. 'nuff said.:D

ricks

Devilsfan
12-24-2009, 06:54 AM
Good thing the "dame" wasn't in the "Roy Center" (Heard he was asking the Chancellor to change the name. Smith was too common and the name of a Duke guard). She probably would have been arrested and publically flogged at high noon.

texas
12-24-2009, 10:56 AM
i don't know how to post pictures on here or if it is even allowed but if you go to one of our websites we have a screenshot of the lady in green (warning, shaggybevo is a rough and tumble place, little to no moderation and most of the yelling at each other is for fun so don't take it seriously)

http://www.shaggybevo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=54955

texas
12-24-2009, 11:01 AM
In addition, he said that he wanted to play Duke with a home-and-home, but K does not want to come to Texas, and Barnes is not going to go to NY for his home game.

And lastly, the stuff from Barnes to my relative was said over lunch at Kreuz Market. 'nuff said.:D

ricks

i can confirm the above statement, i heard the same thing directly from coach barnes, but you WIN for eating at kreuz market

OZZIE4DUKE
12-24-2009, 11:35 AM
Since I remembered Ozzie's story about his horn confiscation (Is that correct? If not, please correct me in a kind way on this, as I am old and deserve some consideration in that respect.)
The air horn was never confiscated, and I was never told not to use it. I did come to an understanding with Lefty that I would only use it during time outs and not during play (which no one else ever complained about). That's when the Terps started huddling on the court during time outs.

Tates Locke, then the Clemson coach, gave me a look that to this day I still remember. His eyes were bulging, his face was beet red with anger and the veins in his neck were popping. It was wonderful as I stood there blasting the airhorn in his direction and he was looking directly at me!

The actual air horn used in Cameron from 1974 through the 1976 seasons. :D

devildeac
12-24-2009, 03:26 PM

Unfortunately, we have to wait till next season for that.

Try next century...

Maybe...

:rolleyes:;)

SCMatt33
12-24-2009, 04:50 PM
I wondered why she was not thrown out and why there was no technical foul assessed, since it is a rule violation. But then, I am only familiar with the fact that it is a violation, and not with the consequences.
ricks

Here's what I found from last year's (08-09) official rule book on fan violations. I put pertinent info to the Texas incident in bold. This is just my interpretation, but I think that refs are much less likely to call a technical foul on a single fan and in the Texas case let her stay because the horn was gone. I don't think that it would be prudent to call a technical on a single person because it is nearly impossible for the team to control a single person in the stands and he can simply be ejected and there is the possibility that it is an opposing fan trying to draw a foul for the other team.

Art. 9 Team followers, as in Rule 4-27, commit an unsportsmanlike act,
including, but not limited to, the following:
a. Using musical instruments, amplified music or artificial noisemakers
while the game is in progress, except timeouts and intermission.
b. Using laser pointers.
c. Throwing debris on the court after officials’ jurisdiction has begun.
d. Delaying the game by preventing the ball from being promptly made
live or by preventing continuous play, such as but not limited to,
followers entering the playing court before the player activity has
been terminated. When the delay does not interfere with play, it shall
be ignored.
e. Using profanity or language that is abusive, vulgar or obscene.
Note 1: Before penalizing a follower(s) of a team for violating Rule
10-2.9, the officials shall have knowledge as to which team’s
follower(s) committed the act.
Note 2: When the misconduct of the follower(s) is extreme or excessive,
such behavior may be penalized by the official requesting home/
contest management to eject from the premises the team follower(s)
involved in the misbehavior. In such a case, a technical foul shall
not be assessed.
PENALTY: (Art. 9) Two free throws awarded to the offended team. The
ball shall be put back in play at the point of interruption.