PDA

View Full Version : 10 years ago

hc5duke
12-22-2009, 04:59 PM
Were you preparing for Y2K at all? I was certain nothing significant (planes going down, computers not working) would go wrong, but i did go out and get 5 gallons of gasoline just in case. This was during winter break of my freshman year at duke.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-22-2009, 05:06 PM
Y2K was very good to me, business-wise. Wish it would happen again!

rasputin
12-22-2009, 05:13 PM
Y2K was very good to me, business-wise. Wish it would happen again!

How about the Mayan calendar thing?

-jk
12-22-2009, 06:43 PM
My team spent 8 months patching and upgrading to get ready for it. Then nothing happened. And I caught grief for the "scare".

Then several of our vendors and clients were dead in the water for most of January (and one into March), and I gave grief right back. ;)

-jk

moonpie23
12-22-2009, 06:58 PM
Were you preparing for Y2K at all?

no, i had a mac back then too.. :)

Heelkiller1
12-22-2009, 08:21 PM
How about the Mayan calendar thing?

I think it is just another way to scare everyone,but just in case I have a few cases of MRE's in the garage.:)

Highlander
12-23-2009, 09:21 PM
I was working for a bank as a consultant and I believe was on call that evening. We had tested all our scenarios thoroughly, and I think the only issue they encountered was an internal report which printed the wrong date in the heading.

I believe the issue was overblown, but it was identified early enough that most companies had plenty of time to react. And the consulting companies were only to happy to help them solve the problem :)

OZZIE4DUKE
12-23-2009, 10:54 PM
I was working for a bank as a consultant and I believe was on call that evening. We had tested all our scenarios thoroughly, and I think the only issue they encountered was an internal report which printed the wrong date in the heading.

I believe the issue was overblown, but it was identified early enough that most companies had plenty of time to react. And the consulting companies were only to happy to help them solve the problem :)
In August 1999 I bought a 2000 Nissan Maxima. Several months later I got a service solicitation letter from Nissan corporate, congratulating me on my purchase of a 1900 Maxima. I kid you not.

snowdenscold
12-24-2009, 08:38 AM
In August 1999 I bought a 2000 Nissan Maxima. Several months later I got a service solicitation letter from Nissan corporate, congratulating me on my purchase of a 1900 Maxima. I kid you not.
Hey, that's a good car:
http://www.english-blog.com/images/Old%20Bicycle%20in%20Old%20New%20Orleans.gif

camion
12-24-2009, 08:43 AM
I was part of a team at our university preparing for Y2K. My specific task was to make sure professors could still teach if all of the computers died. The most important part of my emergency plan was, "buy more chalk." :)