PDA

View Full Version : It's Official: Quarterback Greg Paulus Aims For Career in NFL

Kim*
12-20-2009, 06:36 PM
(I hope this is the correct place to post this..?)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/311900-its-official-quarterback-greg-paulus-aims-for-career-in-nfl

And although the Orange went just 4-8 with Paulus as the play-caller, he still racked up quite an impressive number of yards and touchdown passes this past season.

Now, he’s aiming for even loftier goals: a career in the NFL.

Bluedog
12-20-2009, 06:45 PM
Ugh...bleacher report and "official" do not belong in the same sentence. The quote just looks like it was right after he left Duke talking about playing football in college....Not a quote about pursuing professional football. I mean, anything can happen, but it's certainly far from "official."

Kim*
12-20-2009, 06:52 PM
I do agree with you on that. I didn't make the "official" claim; it's just the title of the article.

RainingThrees
12-20-2009, 09:30 PM
I think he has a better shot trying to get into the Canadian Football League which is not a bad league. Maybe then he can try for the NFL if things go as planned. I could be wrong as I don't know the most about NFL football.

Bluedog
12-20-2009, 10:29 PM
Ok, I somewhat take back what I said earlier. Here's the NY Daily News article:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2009/12/20/2009-12-20_qb_paulus_eyes_nfl_audition.html?r=sports&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nydnrss%2Fsports+%28Sports%29

Essentially, he's continuing to work out at Syracuse in preparation for pro day. Good luck to Greg! But it's going to be a tough uphill battle...

soccerstud2210
12-20-2009, 10:35 PM
somehow i don't really see this happening. i would love it! but it is a BIG uphill battle

hey, if jake delhomme can still be in the NFL, then paulus has to have a shot!! :)

CameronBornAndBred
12-21-2009, 08:18 AM
I think he has a better shot trying to get into the Canadian Football League which is not a bad league. Maybe then he can try for the NFL if things go as planned. I could be wrong as I don't know the most about NFL football.
I always forget about the CFL, but you are correct, and if he wants to play that wouldn't be a bad way to go.

Devilsfan
12-21-2009, 08:36 AM
We should all have dreams and goals. Maybe he could be fortunate enough to hang around on somebodys roster and learn so that someday he might coach in some capacity.

SupaDave
12-21-2009, 01:36 PM
Paulus has a lot of the things that NFL teams look for including the following:

-Ability to pick up a playbook
-Ability to run the scout team
-Ability to read defense
-Live arm
-Good mobility
-Coachable
-and YOUNG

And he could easily perform as well as Trent Edwards, Matt Cassell, Brady Quinn, Derrick Anderson, Matt Moore, Mark Sanchez, Tavaris Jackson, JaMarcus Russell, Seneca Wallace, Jay Cutler and Chad Henne.

He's a winner - which is something that can't be coached. It's kinda like Vince Young with all his faults is just a flat out winner.

He's a classic case of "drafted to be a clipboard carrier." Paulus has a shot indeed.

NSDukeFan
12-21-2009, 01:57 PM
Paulus has a lot of the things that NFL teams look for including the following:

-Ability to pick up a playbook
-Ability to run the scout team
-Ability to read defense
-Live arm
-Good mobility
-Coachable
-and YOUNG

And he could easily perform as well as Trent Edwards, Matt Cassell, Brady Quinn, Derrick Anderson, Matt Moore, Mark Sanchez, Tavaris Jackson, JaMarcus Russell, Seneca Wallace, Jay Cutler and Chad Henne.

He's a winner - which is something that can't be coached. It's kinda like Vince Young with all his faults is just a flat out winner.

He's a classic case of "drafted to be a clipboard carrier." Paulus has a shot indeed.

I hope Greg has a shot and wish him all the best, but I think your post underestimates greatly the challenge of being an NFL quaterback. Most of the players you listed above were great college quarterbacks who have had some trouble adjusting to the pro game. I believe they are all bigger than Greg and most, if not all, have better arms. I think you are a little bit off to think that Greg, who had a good, but not great year at Syracuse, is all of a sudden going to be better than current NFL quarterbacks, who were the best players in college football. I hope you are right, but ...

SupaDave
12-21-2009, 03:31 PM
I hope Greg has a shot and wish him all the best, but I think your post underestimates greatly the challenge of being an NFL quaterback. Most of the players you listed above were great college quarterbacks who have had some trouble adjusting to the pro game. I believe they are all bigger than Greg and most, if not all, have better arms. I think you are a little bit off to think that Greg, who had a good, but not great year at Syracuse, is all of a sudden going to be better than current NFL quarterbacks, who were the best players in college football. I hope you are right, but ...

Hmmmm... Let's see how he stacks up.

-Matt Cassell - never started a day in college. Height 6'4 (and it surely hasn't helped him throw it further)
-JaMarcus Russell - played with Early Doucet and Joseph Addai - can you say loaded? Height 6'6 (and it hasn't helped him much at ALL)
-Tavaris Jackson - all the physical tools - comprehension seems to be a problem. Height 6'2
-Matt Moore - undrafted - played only a smidgeon more college football than Paulus. Height 6'3"
-Chad Henne's career matches up extremely well with Paulus' even though he was throwing to THREE future NFL WRs. Height 6'3"
-Mark Sanchez - putting his baggage aside, he had one good year throwing to NFL level talent before leaving school early - Height 6'2

Let's see here. Paulus threw for 2000 yards and 13 tds after having not played ANY college football on a mediocre team that hadn't won a GAME the previous year. Paulus managed to break into the top 10 of many of the Big East's records this year. Not too shabby and stacks up with just about all of the guys on the list.

soccerstud2210
12-21-2009, 03:39 PM
Let's see here. Paulus threw for 2000 yards and 13 tds after having not played ANY college football on a mediocre team that hadn't won a GAME the previous year. Paulus managed to break into the top 10 of many of the Big East's records this year. Not too shabby and stacks up with just about all of the guys on the list.

if i remember correctly they won three games. northeastern, louisville, and notre dame.

so they won one more game this year

don't get me wrong i would LOVE to see paulus in the NFL, but i just don't see him being better than Cassel, Sanchez, Quinn, Cutler, Edwards, or maybe even Moore

airowe
12-21-2009, 03:47 PM
I'd put money on Paulus being a Grad Assistant with Syracuse's BBall team this year, possibly next. I really think his future is in basketball coaching. He's said many times he wanted to learn how to coach from the best and that's a major reason why he came to Duke.

He may have a stopoff in the NFL for a while, but either way his future lies on the sidelines.

However, if anyone can overcome odds stacked against him, he's the guy.

Best of luck to GP!

SupaDave
12-21-2009, 03:48 PM
if i remember correctly they won three games. northeastern, louisville, and notre dame.

so they won one more game this year

don't get me wrong i would LOVE to see paulus in the NFL, but i just don't see him being better than Cassel, Sanchez, Quinn, Cutler, Edwards, or maybe even Moore

Yes - the win over Notre Dame should have gotten Weiss fired last year. That is an excited typo on my part.

johnb
12-21-2009, 03:49 PM
woud he rather coach bball or football?

soccerstud2210
12-21-2009, 03:58 PM
Yes - the win over Notre Dame should have gotten Weiss fired last year. That is an excited typo on my part.

ya i only remember that they won that game because i am a notre dame football fan as well as duke. i know i know. crazy. but my dad and family are from indiana and grew up watching notre dame football on NBC every saturday.

on a side note. im glad weiss is gone. finally. and yes, you are right, that should have gotten him fired last year!

NSDukeFan
12-21-2009, 04:46 PM

-Chad Henne's career matches up extremely well with Paulus' even though he was throwing to THREE future NFL WRs. Height 6'3"

I don't have time to look at the others right now, but I thought I would just take a look at Henne, who Paulus "matches up very well with."
Paulus has had a 7.1 yards per attempt for his 1 year with 13 TDs and 14 INTs and threw for 2000 yards.
Henne ended up averaging about 7 yards per attempt for his career with 87 TDs and 37 INTs, with his lowest # of TDs being 17 and highest INTs being 12. He threw for over 9500 yards.
I am not sure how Paulus' career matches up extremely well, unless you are going to count his basketball career. I'm also not sure which top 10 Big East records you are referring to.
Again, I hope he is successful at whatever he does, I just don't think he is automatically an NFL quarterback because he had a good, not great year at Syracuse.

SupaDave
12-21-2009, 05:13 PM
I don't have time to look at the others right now, but I thought I would just take a look at Henne, who Paulus "matches up very well with."
Paulus has had a 7.1 yards per attempt for his 1 year with 13 TDs and 14 INTs and threw for 2000 yards.
Henne ended up averaging about 7 yards per attempt for his career with 87 TDs and 37 INTs, with his lowest # of TDs being 17 and highest INTs being 12. He threw for over 9500 yards.
I am not sure how Paulus' career matches up extremely well, unless you are going to count his basketball career. I'm also not sure which top 10 Big East records you are referring to.
Again, I hope he is successful at whatever he does, I just don't think he is automatically an NFL quarterback because he had a good, not great year at Syracuse.

Well that was certainly a cursory look but just b/c you are not sure does not mean that the records do not exist...

Has completed 156-of-237 passes (65.8 percent) through 10 games, which is the best single-season performance in Syracuse history (see chart on right) … The 65.8 completion percentage ranks fifth on the BIG EAST single-season record list … His 158.6 passing yards per game is fifth in the BIG EAST in 2009.

And as far as Henne goes - you can NOT compare his career to Paulus' one year. Obviously by his senior year there are nuances he would have picked up on after having played conference opponents repeatedly. AND like I said - Henne was throwing to THREE future NFL WRs - I'm sure that helped pad his stats a little. Anyone know who Paulus' #1 WR was this year? (Mike Williams who only played 7 games fwiw).

Henne's completion rate was 58% his senior year compared to Paulus' 60%+. Considering the talent level around him, Paulus' #'s stand up quite well.

Wander
12-21-2009, 05:43 PM
One of the records you cited is that he was 5th in the Big East in passing yards in 2009? You realize that not only is that not a "record," but it's actually below average considering the conference only has eight teams?

He had a pretty decent year considering how much time he took off and the lack of surrounding talent, but nothing to convince me he can be an NFL quarterback.

CameronBornAndBred
12-21-2009, 07:13 PM
I got lots of things to say that all boil down to one fact. What Paulus did in his one year of collegiate football was after he had not played ANY football since high school. I don't know, but at least some of the folks listed at least redshirted before they threw one pass in a game, so still had a year of experience with their teams.

NSDukeFan
12-21-2009, 09:41 PM
Well that was certainly a cursory look but just b/c you are not sure does not mean that the records do not exist...
I believe I said that I didn't have time to look up anymore at the time, hence the cursory look. Thank you for letting me know what records you were talking about. I didn't know and was glad you could clarify.

And as far as Henne goes - you can NOT compare his career to Paulus' one year. Obviously by his senior year there are nuances he would have picked up on after having played conference opponents repeatedly. AND like I said - Henne was throwing to THREE future NFL WRs - I'm sure that helped pad his stats a little. Anyone know who Paulus' #1 WR was this year? (Mike Williams who only played 7 games fwiw).

Henne's completion rate was 58% his senior year compared to Paulus' 60%+. Considering the talent level around him, Paulus' #'s stand up quite well.
I wouldn't have compared his career to Paulus' one year but...

Originally Posted by SupaDave

-Chad Henne's career matches up extremely well with Paulus'
Paulus had a great completion percentage this year, so if that is the sole criteria by which quarterbacks are judged than yes, Paulus will be as good a quarterback as all those you have listed and he should be starting for an NFL team right now.
I may be wrong but I do wonder if it is much easier to be an armchair quarterback and figure anyone could do a better job than those you named, yet there only seem to be 30 people who get these starting jobs and 30-60 more backups and there are a lot of people who would love to have those spots.

NSDukeFan
12-21-2009, 09:44 PM
I got lots of things to say that all boil down to one fact. What Paulus did in his one year of collegiate football was after he had not played ANY football since high school. I don't know, but at least some of the folks listed at least redshirted before they threw one pass in a game, so still had a year of experience with their teams.

I don't want to diminish anything Greg has done as I am a big fan of his and otherwise would not have been checking Syracuse boxscores this fall. I wish him all the best but I just don't know that because he had a great completion percentage this year that he is better than a bunch of NFL quarterbacks.

NovaScotian
12-22-2009, 12:18 AM
I don't want to diminish anything Greg has done as I am a big fan of his and otherwise would not have been checking Syracuse boxscores this fall. I wish him all the best but I just don't know that because he had a great completion percentage this year that he is better than a bunch of NFL quarterbacks.

I'm with you, NSDukeFan. (btw, do you love sloan?) i think it's remarkable what greg did this year, being able to start for a D1 team after four years off the field. the fact that he could take the reigns shows a lot of courage, a lot of ability and that said, it would be a *huyuge* leap for him to take from syracuse to the nfl. i don't think he threw all those interceptions (including five in one game) because his recievers were lousy. there are 110+ division 1 college qbs in the country, and i just have a hard time thinking greg was in the top 40% of those. he may physically be capable of making the throws, and we know he's mentally capable of taking on the responsibility of an nfl quarterback, but as my nova scotian friend pointed out, there are only 90ish spots for nfl quarterbacks, and they've been qbs for they're entire lives. im not saying it was easy to beat a freshman for the starting job, especially when you're a grown man, but there's no way he can compete to the level of nfl backup qbs. some of the best college qbs weve seen, heisman winners even, spend their lives as backups. if a pro team does take a chance on him, it will have to be as a long term project - he needs a lot a lot more time taking snaps and in the weight room before he could play in the nfl.

for comparison, thaddeus is leagues beyond where greg was this season, and thaddeus probably won't get looked at even to be a backup in the league.

Acymetric
12-22-2009, 01:06 AM
I'm with you, NSDukeFan. (btw, do you love sloan?) i think it's remarkable what greg did this year, being able to start for a D1 team after four years off the field. the fact that he could take the reigns shows a lot of courage, a lot of ability and that said, it would be a *huyuge* leap for him to take from syracuse to the nfl. i don't think he threw all those interceptions (including five in one game) because his recievers were lousy. there are 110+ division 1 college qbs in the country, and i just have a hard time thinking greg was in the top 40% of those. he may physically be capable of making the throws, and we know he's mentally capable of taking on the responsibility of an nfl quarterback, but as my nova scotian friend pointed out, there are only 90ish spots for nfl quarterbacks, and they've been qbs for they're entire lives. im not saying it was easy to beat a freshman for the starting job, especially when you're a grown man, but there's no way he can compete to the level of nfl backup qbs. some of the best college qbs weve seen, heisman winners even, spend their lives as backups. if a pro team does take a chance on him, it will have to be as a long term project - he needs a lot a lot more time taking snaps and in the weight room before he could play in the nfl.

for comparison, thaddeus is leagues beyond where greg was this season, and thaddeus probably won't get looked at even to be a backup in the league.

I agree with pretty much everything you said, except one quibble. Thad will most certainly get looked at to be a backup. He may not make it, but he'll definitely get some chances. I would also say that Greg will probably get looks too...NFL teams are pretty good about looking into all the options. That said, even if he does get looks, and manages to get on a scout team, I can't imagine him taking a snap in the league in the next 5 years.

There are just too many more experienced players who are at least equally talented coming in each year for there to be space for him, I think.

ojaidave
12-22-2009, 02:07 AM
I'm with you, NSDukeFan. (btw, do you love sloan?) i think it's remarkable what greg did this year, being able to start for a D1 team after four years off the field. the fact that he could take the reigns shows a lot of courage, a lot of ability and that said, it would be a *huyuge* leap for him to take from syracuse to the nfl. i don't think he threw all those interceptions (including five in one game) because his recievers were lousy.

I agree with much that you wrote, however realize the exact thing was said about Greg's jump to D1 football after taking 4 years off. From Marrone's comments about Greg, I'd say Greg's preparation and his mental approach to quarterback is probably top 10% in D1 football.

“I have never seen an athlete at any level -- including the NFL -- work as hard, mentally and physically, as Greg has worked since he’s joined us here at Syracuse,” Marrone said. “Really, what he’s accomplished is extraordinary. Maybe it can’t be fully appreciated because most don’t know just how difficult it is to play quarterback at a Division I program.

It'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Regenman
12-22-2009, 02:55 AM
Colt McCoy is an undersized QB from a small 2A high school in Texas. Ends up with the most wins in NCAA Division I history, is an acknowledged student of the game, a good kid, had a 77.6% pass completion percentage as a junior.

He's projected by some scouts as a 4-5 rounder and not even in the top 10 QBs of the 2010 class. (and projected much higher by others)

That's how hard the competition is just from this year's class.....

Thaddeus is rated as a 7th rounder/FA and in the 20s out of the QBs rated.

soccerstud2210
12-22-2009, 07:20 AM
Colt McCoy is an undersized QB from a small 2A high school in Texas. Ends up with the most wins in NCAA Division I history, is an acknowledged student of the game, a good kid, had a 77.6% pass completion percentage as a junior.

He's projected by some scouts as a 4-5 rounder and not even in the top 10 QBs of the 2010 class. (and projected much higher by others)

That's how hard the competition is just from this year's class.....

Thaddeus is rated as a 7th rounder/FA and in the 20s out of the QBs rated.

wow thats crazy! do you have the article that was in? not that i doubt what you are saying, i would just like to read those projections

SupaDave
12-22-2009, 11:55 AM
wow thats crazy! do you have the article that was in? not that i doubt what you are saying, i would just like to read those projections

I found this board. McCoy is a projected 2nd rounder and Thad checks in at round 6.
http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2010-nfl-draft/draft-value-board.html

No mention of Paulus to speak of but he's got one advantage that I think should be mentioned and it's the fact that he already has ties to an NFL organization. Teams can do as they please and while the Packers probably wouldn't draft him they could most definitely bring him on as a free agent and sit him on the practice squad.

Hey, no one believed me when I said he could play college football but he took a team predicted to finish the season 1-11 (http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/analysis_bigeast.html) and they ended up 4-8. That's getting up to speed pretty darn fast and I'm sure some folks took notice. He helped change the culture of a D-1 football program. I'm just saying.

So here we are in Phase II of the "Paulus Football project". People keep saying why he can't and who should be picked over him but just like with Syracuse - situations are different from team to team especially when it comes to team needs.

Just to throw this out there again, the Packers have a QB they're grooming in Flynn. He'll be in year three and a lot more able to grasp the playbook and become more of a legitimate back-up. As he hits legitimate back-up status he will also become trade bait in the process. The Packers will need a #3 QB but he wont be hardly required to be game ready. Enter Paulus, who is known for his preparation and leadership – two valuable traits since the Pack wont have time to babysit their #3 QB.

Fine – you really don’t have to listen to me (but let’s just say I know a few things about the NFL)…

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2009/12/20/2009-12-20_qb_paulus_eyes_nfl_audition.html

soccerstud2210
12-22-2009, 12:57 PM
does anyone think that he could play a different position other than QB? like is it possible to play corner or safety or even RB? i mean i know he's not the fastest or biggest, so just throwing that out there

SupaDave
12-22-2009, 02:08 PM
does anyone think that he could play a different position other than QB? like is it possible to play corner or safety or even RB? i mean i know he's not the fastest or biggest, so just throwing that out there

I seriously doubt RB or WR b/c he does not have the athletic ability of an Eric Crouch. He'll be a QB/Placeholder - nothing else...

Heelkiller1
12-22-2009, 08:36 PM
I wish him all the luck in what ever he does.He seems to be a hard working smart kid. Heck don't the panthers need a QB.lol

SupaDave
12-23-2009, 08:45 AM
I wish him all the luck in what ever he does.He seems to be a hard working smart kid. Heck don't the panthers need a QB.lol

The Panthers need to draft 4 QBs and pick up another 2 in free agency.

formerdukeathlete
12-23-2009, 10:56 AM

Syracuse HC Doug Marrone (an NFL OC) has commented on the transition from college to the NFL, how many qbs with great stats in college cannot get up to speed with the playbook and reads quickly enough to keep a roster spot. This is where Greg has a relative advantage in Marrone's opinion. He had learned Syracuse system more completely by 7 days of fall camp, than the previously designated starting qb who was in his second fall camp and who had continuosly played the position since junior high, who supposedly was no slouch in the quick study department, out of the prep league in Philie. At 6-1 Greg would be in the thick of things in the NFL on the shorter end - with some current starting qbs. His arm improved dramatically as the season progressed.

I see Buffalo as a possible team drafting him one the second day.