PDA

View Full Version : Duke Basketball Footage

dan_mcnamara
12-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Hi! I'm working on an independent documentary about duke basketball. I wanted to know if you have anyone at the forum has footage of games or know any one who may be able to share footage of games to use for the documentary. The doc focuses on the camaraderie between the players of Duke Basketball. Thanks!

SmartDevil
12-20-2009, 04:56 PM
Just out of curiousity, are you a Duke fan? Tell us about yourself and your project.

Dukeface88
12-20-2009, 05:12 PM
I imagine the athletic department and team keep old film on file for review/publicity purposes, although I'm not sure how willing to give that out they would be. Cable 13 (Duke student-run television) also tapes some of the game that they might let you use. Any kind of major network would have usage issues.

uh_no
12-20-2009, 07:31 PM
Hi! I'm working on an independent documentary about duke basketball. I wanted to know if you have anyone at the forum has footage of games or know any one who may be able to share footage of games to use for the documentary. The doc focuses on the camaraderie between the players of Duke Basketball. Thanks!

I'm assuming you know that any game footage is presumably the intellectual property of the university, the team, the network that broadcast it, or some combination thereof and you likely can't use it without their permission.

Brian913
12-20-2009, 09:33 PM
I could be wrong, but I think he is looking for personal videos people took at games.

Jarhead
12-20-2009, 10:21 PM
I could be wrong, but I think he is looking for personal videos people took at games.

That's my guess, too, but there might be some stuff on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=duke+basketball+2010&search_type=&aq=1&oq=duke+basketball+20).

Richard Berg
12-21-2009, 12:38 AM
I'm assuming you know that any game footage is presumably the intellectual property of the university, the team, the network that broadcast it, or some combination thereof and you likely can't use it without their permission.
That's a rather stark (and inaccurate) simplification.

Fair use is murky -- anyone who presents things otherwise is blowing smoke -- but there are good general guidelines available. For example, here's what the University of Texas (based on lots of legal counsel + negotiation with other rightsholding institutions) recommends for student documentaries: http://www.utsystem.edu/OGC/IntellectualProperty/ccmcguid.htm

Depending on the nature of your project you may be able to use far more than they recommend without needing anyone's permission; in other cases it's advisable to "clear" every last frame. It depends.

dan_mcnamara
12-21-2009, 11:04 AM
Hi everyone! Thanks for responding! I work in post-production in nyc, my dad went to duke and was a huge blue devils fan, I always had the idea of working on a sports documentary and when he passed in august, I decided I would focus on his favorite team and started working on this a month ago. it's going to have interviews with past players and I was looking for footage that was shot in the last ten years to put focus on how the players interact with each other today compared to the past. Any direction in helping me get footage would be a huge help. Thanks!

phaedrus
12-21-2009, 12:54 PM
That's a rather stark (and inaccurate) simplification.

Fair use is murky -- anyone who presents things otherwise is blowing smoke -- but there are good general guidelines available. For example, here's what the University of Texas (based on lots of legal counsel + negotiation with other rightsholding institutions) recommends for student documentaries: http://www.utsystem.edu/OGC/IntellectualProperty/ccmcguid.htm

Depending on the nature of your project you may be able to use far more than they recommend without needing anyone's permission; in other cases it's advisable to "clear" every last frame. It depends.

And fortunately, the Duke Law faculty doesn't even believe in intellectual property rights. So they've got your back.

Richard Berg
12-21-2009, 02:40 PM
Hi everyone! Thanks for responding! I work in post-production in nyc, my dad went to duke and was a huge blue devils fan, I always had the idea of working on a sports documentary and when he passed in august, I decided I would focus on his favorite team and started working on this a month ago. it's going to have interviews with past players and I was looking for footage that was shot in the last ten years to put focus on how the players interact with each other today compared to the past. Any direction in helping me get footage would be a huge help. Thanks!
If you want a (slightly) more personal / less ESPN side of things, might as well start with duke blue planet.

I'd also look into finding archives of Matthew Laurence's interview segments. He typically got 5-6min of each weekly "Inside Duke Basketball with Coach K" show, covering most of the roster 1:1 over the course of a season. They ran on local broadcast affiliates and a few regional cable TV networks for most of the 2000's.

Richard Berg
12-21-2009, 02:50 PM
And fortunately, the Duke Law faculty doesn't even believe in intellectual property rights. So they've got your back.
I assume you mean the Public Domain thinktank. I'm a Boyle fan primarily for his clever way with words -- the IP folks at Stanford, UNC (iBiblio), and Berkman have done more to advance the field in my opinion. But that doesn't excuse such gross mischaracterizations of the CSPD faculty, who are well within the mainstream of today's researchers. If you want to shake your head at some real life wackos in IP academia, try Charles Nesson.

phaedrus
12-21-2009, 03:53 PM
I assume you mean the Public Domain thinktank. I'm a Boyle fan primarily for his clever way with words -- the IP folks at Stanford, UNC (iBiblio), and Berkman have done more to advance the field in my opinion. But that doesn't excuse such gross mischaracterizations of the CSPD faculty, who are well within the mainstream of today's researchers. If you want to shake your head at some real life wackos in IP academia, try Charles Nesson.

I would call it hyperbole rather than gross mischaracterization. I know (and generally agree with) JB's views, and I think he would concede he is far from mainstream. After all, if he were mainstream, the CSPD (and Creative Commons) wouldn't be all that remarkable.

Don't mean to hijack the thread of course, but it would be strange to see a legal issue arise where Duke's general counsel were so wildly out of synch with the Duke law faculty. Although I'm sure it's happened before.

mapei
12-21-2009, 04:01 PM
What is this, the Duke Law Discussion Board? ;)

Richard Berg
12-21-2009, 04:30 PM
it would be strange to see a legal issue arise where Duke's general counsel were so wildly out of synch with the Duke law faculty.
I dunno...I always picture universities as among the most likely places to find independent thinkers (for good or ill). Can you imagine asking whether Duke's endowment curators are "out of synch" with the Business school or the Econ department? By the time you surveyed the range of responses, the original question would barely make any sense. Point is: if Duke Law is anything like other departments I've interacted with, you'd have a hard time taking their pulse in the first place.

FWIW, I meant "mainstream" for a law professor. I simply don't expect the broader profession -- including Duke's staff counsel -- to line up with academia...any more than I'd expect DUMB to play Scott Lindroth's compositions. Much less the public at large, who are (quite rightfully) more interested in actual hoops footage than they are about where & why it comes from.

Let us know how the documentary goes, Dan! If you need more ideas, please clarify again whether you're looking for in-game footage or more behind-the-scenes interaction between the players. I have a decent personal archive and am in your metro area, but rereading your first two posts I just got more confused instead of less...

Georgiadevil
12-21-2009, 06:36 PM
DVR alert ,greatest game ever Wednesday morning.Duke-Kentucky on Wednesday morning at 930am.This game could be played 24 7 and it would never get old."There's the pass to Laettner"......well the rest was simply great.

dan_mcnamara
12-24-2009, 01:24 PM
Does anyone have footage of the players slapping the floor? Over the years, players have been doing it and I thought it might be an interesting aspect to explore a little. Doesn't matter from what year. Anyone?

moonpie23
12-24-2009, 04:51 PM
Any direction in helping me

1. if you need some hot music for nothing up front, get in touch with me.

2. consult an attorney educated in film/tv/music biz copyright experience