PDA

View Full Version : Is this not a College Basketball board?

Skitzle
12-18-2009, 08:15 AM
The closing of the Harrison Barnes on ESPN thread has me concerned about the mindset of this board and it's something I wanted to bring up for discussion on the board as a whole.

If we're not allowed to discuss the games of recruits/other schools commits, because they don't pertain to Duke Basketball - an idea I strongly disagree with as Harrison Barnes and his success in high school games still VERY MUCH pertain to Duke basketball, granted it's 2010-2011 baskeball but Duke basketball non the less.

If we're not allowed to discuss Harrison Barnes high school games, why are we allowed to discuss any non Duke Games, Uconn Syracuse last year had no effect on Duke, but I very much believe there was a thread for it or any college recruits that haven't committed.

In all honesty, I had no comment on the Harrison Barnes board until the small mindedness of the board as a whole got the thread closed. It seems like sour grapes to me and I'd expect all Duke fans to be above that.

Please show me why or how my thought process is wrong.

Skitzle
12-18-2009, 08:21 AM
Did some follow up research

"This is the board for discussions of Duke basketball and Duke athletics in general. Renamed by Boswell in memory of Julio's mom, Elizabeth King, an extraordinarily talented woman, mother, and Duke basketball fan."

Still it begs the questions why we allow the discussion of other non-Duke basketball college games. - I have no idea where discussion of NBA tends to fall - off-topic board?

Just seems like a double standard...

Johnboy
12-18-2009, 08:33 AM
It's a college basketball board, but not a high school basketball board.

Even so, I fail to see why the thread was closed. Why not move it to off-topic if it's not on-topic? I respectfully disagree with the decision of the moderators in closing that thread. I thank Wheat/"/"/" for starting it, because otherwise I wouldn't have seen any of the game, part of which I watched and enjoyed.

Also, before posting this, I reviewed the posting policies threads. I fail to see how thread that was closed violates any posted policy, especially if one of the "primary goals for these boards is to foster a sense of community among basketball fans. . ." This thread, or at least this post, is meant as constructive criticism form a long time poster and former (OTB) moderator.

ElonIsRising
12-18-2009, 09:06 AM
I for one can't stand the trend of constantly locking down threads either. Yes, some become ridiculous banter going off topic and need to be locked, but it seems that a lot of the mods simply lock down threads because they are critical of Duke or the program (read: Paulus/Zoubek).

Based on the content of the threads and topics allowed on here throughout the past several years I don't see any reason that this thread should have been locked.

How are lawsuits against Bobby Hurley's horses or introductions to the board or Heisman discussions any MORE relevant to Duke Basketball and college basketball in general than a discussion on the potential best player next year's class-- who is going to be attending our rival.

I am sorry HB isn't coming to Duke but come on, don't start locking threads down before an interesting discussion might actually begin.

Can't wait to get bashed by the long time posters for this one...

jgehtland
12-18-2009, 09:44 AM
"I wish we could have actual discussions on this board" like using ad hominem attacks like "can't wait to get bashed by long time posters". Way to start the thread off right!

sagegrouse
12-18-2009, 09:47 AM
I am sorry it was closed because I didn't get to post:

"Wheat: Turning the knife one more time, are we?"

But I guess I just have.

sagegrouse

ElonIsRising
12-18-2009, 09:59 AM
"I wish we could have actual discussions on this board" like using ad hominem attacks like "can't wait to get bashed by long time posters". Way to start the thread off right!

I must say nice retort!

However, due to the fact that I am a structural engineer, I haven't seen the word 'hominem' since 10th grade english. I had to go look it up!!:D

Wheat/"/"/"
12-18-2009, 09:59 AM
I am sorry it was closed because I didn't get to post:

"Wheat: Turning the knife one more time, are we?"

But I guess I just have.

sagegrouse

I promise you that had nothing to do with posting that thread.

I checked the board and there was nothing about the game, so I thought people would be interested in seeing him play after all the discussion of him here. I had never seen him play. And I doubt many here had either.

I wish someone had let me know Jared Sullinger was playing the first game, I missed him and really wanted to see him play. From the highlights, he looked like the best player in the counry, not HB.

I sent JBDuke a private note after I saw that he closed the thread with my thoughts on it. I did not know anyone would start this one.

Since I cannot figure out how to find my sent private notes, I would ask JBDuke to please post it here for all to see.

Thanks.

SupaDave
12-18-2009, 10:00 AM
Ummmm, and the point of this thread is....?

It doesn't appear to be much basketball being talked about here either so this thread is gone in 3.... 2.... 1...