PDA

View Full Version : Unreasonable fear of WRAL?

langdonfan
12-17-2009, 10:11 PM
Duke v. Gonzaga is scheduled for 4:00 pm Saturday on CBS...snow is in the forecast for Friday...stop me if you've heard this one before... Just something for all of us here in the Triangle to think about. Let's hope the game is only interrupted and not totally preempted.

sleepybear
12-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Duke v. Gonzaga is scheduled for 4:00 pm Saturday on CBS...snow is in the forecast for Friday...stop me if you've heard this one before... Just something for all of us here in the Triangle to think about. Let's hope the game is only interrupted and not totally preempted.

Oh god, This had not occurred to me yet. I expect Fishel will break in every few minutes to count the snowflakes. Plus the endless ticker at the bottom. :mad:

Acymetric
12-17-2009, 10:17 PM
I hadn't thought about that...maybe the fact that I got scheduled to work that day is a blessing in disguise...if they do pull their usual weather shenanigans it won't affect me. Hope the game airs in its entirety for everyone else though.

hurleyfor3
12-17-2009, 10:36 PM
Oh no, a whole inch of snow. Run to Harris Teeter and get milk NOW. Oops... too late.

dukemath
12-17-2009, 10:41 PM
At the first sign of snowflakes in some far off land like Johnston County you can bet that WRAL will interrupt the game. A few years back they interrupted an ACC tournament game against Clemson because it was a little windy in one of those remote counties. It is situations like these that make me glad I moved to California.

Exiled_Devil
12-17-2009, 10:43 PM
Oh god, This had not occurred to me yet. I expect Fishel will break in every few minutes to count the snowflakes. Plus the endless ticker at the bottom. :mad:

You forgot shrinking the game to 1/5 size and using lots of blank space to show radar so we can see where the snow is coming.

I hate, hate , HATE when they mess with the HD signal for stuff like that. We've had HD for years. Figure out a way to show me locla updates and still give me my HD sports.

DukeFanSince1990
12-17-2009, 10:59 PM
no, it is not an unreasonable fear. I remember the ACC game and the windy weather reports. I got an idea. Here is a link to wral were you can send in comments. Look for the weather reports link and send them your plea not to interupt the game to tell us its snowing.

http://www.wral.com/wral-tv/page/1007423/

DukieInKansas
12-17-2009, 11:23 PM

They must teach this in meteorology school. The weatherman here do it too. If it snows, they will show the same thing over and over all through the morning and tell you nothing new. Tornado season is the worst.

RelativeWays
12-17-2009, 11:40 PM
Oh no, a whole inch of snow. Run to Harris Teeter and get milk NOW. Oops... too late.

Thats milk, bread and eggs champ. NC's terrible blizzards make people crave french toast, especially if you're from the mountains.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-17-2009, 11:42 PM
At the first sign of snowflakes in some far off land like Johnston County
HEY! Johnston County is NOT some far off land. We're contiguous with the Triangle. Now Moore County - THAT is some far off land! :D

moonpie23
12-18-2009, 12:26 AM
stop.... !!!

it's not going to snow in the triangle......

how many times y'll gonna fall for the Fischel Forcast...

Greg is owned by the MILK AND BREAD consortium. They have excess inventory and they call greg......greg says the "word" and problem solved....

don't fall for the hype...

dukemath
12-18-2009, 12:54 AM
no, it is not an unreasonable fear. I remember the ACC game and the windy weather reports. I got an idea. Here is a link to wral were you can send in comments. Look for the weather reports link and send them your plea not to interupt the game to tell us its snowing.

http://www.wral.com/wral-tv/page/1007423/

I tried this during/after the Clemson game. I got a snippy response a couple days later saying that WRAL had a responsibility to cover the weather problems. I don't think they care what we think.

dukemath
12-18-2009, 12:56 AM
HEY! Johnston County is NOT some far off land. We're contiguous with the Triangle. Now Moore County - THAT is some far off land! :D

I know, but we had a running joke when I was a grad student that clearly God hates Johnston County. Every terrible weather event covered on the news occurred in Johnston County.

Richard Berg
12-18-2009, 03:39 AM
Figure out a way to show me locla updates and still give me my HD sports.
The digital transition provided for this exact scenario. Three independent feeds now fit in the space formerly occupied by the old VHF channel.

WRAL-DT (broadcast channel 5.1) is the main HD feed
WRAL-DT2 (broadcast channel 5.2) is an SD feed showing 24/7 local news & weather
WRAL-DT3 (broadcast channel 5.3) is an SD feed for locally produced shows, political coverage, etc though it frequently just repeats the main feed

They're even able to shuffle things around during special events. For example, you frequently find 2-3 different NCAA Tourney games being broadcast simultaneously. All available from the free airwaves; no dish or fiber required. (Though you can certainly find them there too...in the Triangle, WRAL-DT = TWC #255 and so on.) Awesome, right?!

Suffice to say, it sucks to hear from you folks that the WRAL producers still can't get their priorities straight. If Saturday's game gets screwed over by the milk-and-bread-industrial-complex, technology isn't to blame.

UrinalCake
12-18-2009, 05:03 AM
1998 NCAA tournament when a hurricane came through... they broke away from the game constantly so they could show off their new "hurricane center" software. Most of it was the stupid weatherman dinking around with the computer program and trying to figure out how it works. Oh look, I can zoom in and zoom out by waving my hand! I yelled "STFU" out loud many, many times.

They were generous enough to return to their scheduled programming during the timeouts so that we could watch the commercials.

sagegrouse
12-18-2009, 06:33 AM
Most of it was the stupid weatherman dinking around with the computer program and trying to figure out how it works.

They were generous enough to return to their scheduled programming during the timeouts so that we could watch the commercials.

LOL

sagegrouse

roywhite
12-18-2009, 07:14 AM
Yeah, you people in the Triangle think you're so great because your station, WRAL, has more fancy weather gadgets than other places. :)

But our weather people in the Triad, WFMY in Greensboro, care about us, too! They may not have the real fancy graphics, but they can interrupt our telecast, shrink the screen down to a postage stamp size, and keep us posted on local meetings that have been cancelled. Ugh.

diesel
12-18-2009, 07:38 AM
I have learned something from this exchange: that the personal hygiene of North Carolinians is inferior to that of those of us in Northern Virginia. Before Northern Virginia closes down at the threat of a few flakes of snow, the supermarket shelves are bared not only of milk and bread but toilet paper! It is reasonable to expect that if there were a market for the latter product in North Carolina, the milk and bread industrial complex would have cornered it too.

I post under a nom de basketball, but I hope my ISP cannot be traced, so that the next time I come down to CIS I cannot be ejected from the Old North State by Ole Roy wannabes because of the above factual observation on personal hygiene.

Highlander
12-18-2009, 07:46 AM
I have learned something from this exchange: that the personal hygiene of North Carolinians is inferior to that of those of us in Northern Virginia. Before Northern Virginia closes down at the threat of a few flakes of snow, the supermarket shelves are bared not only of milk and bread but toilet paper! It is reasonable to expect that if there were a market for the latter product in North Carolina, the milk and bread industrial complex would have cornered it too.

I post under a nom de basketball, but I hope my ISP cannot be traced, so that the next time I come down to CIS I cannot be ejected from the Old North State by Ole Roy wannabes because of the above factual observation on personal hygiene.

Yes, but Northern Virginia doesn't understand that Tea should be sweet and that barbecue is a noun and not a verb. I swear, you'd never know that area of the country was south of the Mason Dixon line. :D

Indoor66
12-18-2009, 09:43 AM
I know, but we had a running joke when I was a grad student that clearly God hates Johnston County. Every terrible weather event covered on the news occurred in Johnston County.

Not only that. It is a widespread problem. Why, in Wyoming they even had a Johnston County War!