PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke 76, Gonzaga 41

77devil
12-17-2009, 10:42 AM
The Devils return to the Garden on Saturday for the annual December treck to NY/Northern NJ against a young Gonzaga team. An experienced and more talented Duke team should prevail pretty handily before a national audience as the CBS anchor game of the day.

The Zags gave Michigan State all they could handle in East Lansing early in the season before falling short, but if Duke shows up focused and ready to play, I don't see any significant match up problems. And Duke has a history of playing well in these games.

Hope to see many Blue Devils despite the forecast of snow. I'm pretty sure Ozzie will be found at the Carnagie Deli.

BlueintheFace
12-17-2009, 11:09 AM
Should prevail pretty handily?? I don't know about that. Gonzaga is a solid, well coached team.

I remember well our last December encounter with them. It was one of the ugliest games I have ever seen, but I feel confident in calling it one of Greg Paulus' three best games of his career. He literally carried our team to a win in a thousand ways.

SMO
12-17-2009, 11:19 AM
Should prevail pretty handily?? I don't know about that. Gonzaga is a solid, well coached team.

I remember well our last December encounter with them. It was one of the ugliest games I have ever seen, but I feel confident in calling it one of Greg Paulus' three best games of his career. He literally carried our team to a win in a thousand ways.

Isn't that the game where he busted up his face chasing a loose ball? One of my most fond Paulus moments.

NSDukeFan
12-17-2009, 11:26 AM

Really? I knew he was strong as a football player, but carrying the whole team would have been impressive.;)

ScreechTDX1847
12-17-2009, 11:31 AM
Ummm. I don't think it's going to be that easy.

moonpie23
12-17-2009, 11:59 AM
it's NEVER in the bag....

Kedsy
12-17-2009, 11:59 AM
Hope to see many Blue Devils despite the forecast of snow. I'm pretty sure Ozzie will be found at the Carnagie Deli.

I plan to be there (at the game, not necessarily the Deli).

geraldsneighbor
12-17-2009, 12:21 PM
I'll be there Saturday. Who remembers the Let's Go Paulus chant when he was laying on the floor after he busted up his face diving for a loose ball?

GLTBD
12-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Hope to see many Blue Devils despite the forecast of snow.

My husband and I leave tomorrow for NY. Can't wait. My first time at MSG. I will be proudly wearing #30 jersey. Go Duke!

BlueintheFace
12-17-2009, 12:41 PM
http://sports-att.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=263552250

Bouldin played in that game too.

Billy Dat
12-17-2009, 01:46 PM
I attended that last Duke/Zag game and, at the end of that season, despite beating higher ranked teams, I felt like it was the high water mark of the season.

It's hard to get a read on the Zags. The won Maui with a big comeback against Cincinnati, handled Wisconsin easily in the same tournament, and the loss to Wake is kind of tough to read because their 3rd leading scorer, Elias Harris, got thrown out in the 1st half for throwing a forearm into Chas MacFarland's neck (come on, who hasn't wanted to do that?)

The Scheyer/Bouldin match-up should be great to watch, similar in size, both leaders of their teams, seniors, etc.

It's really a match-up of tall backcourts, Gonzaga goes 6'5", 6'5" with their starters, we match-up roughly the same. They are getting 30 of their 80PPG out of their backcourt (Bouldin and Gray).

Back to Harris - he's their best pro prospect and is shedding those freshman cobwebs to start surging. He had a big 27pt game against Davidson in their last game and was described and Chad Ford has an ESPN Insider piece up today that talks about how he's leapt up NBA draft boards with his play.

I am thinking that Singler draws that assignment.

This is a tough one to call. You'd think the balance tips in Duke's favor because of the familiarity with MSG and the "home" crowd, but this Zag team has a pretty high upside and seem to have strength where we have strength.

jimrowe0
12-17-2009, 01:49 PM
I will be there as well, looking foward to it. Second time in the Garden, last time I wasn't happy. 2007 game versus Pitt, when we had a big lead and lost in OT on Fields 3 pointer.

ChicagoCrazy84
12-17-2009, 01:56 PM
I attended that last Duke/Zag game and, at the end of that season, despite beating higher ranked teams, I felt like it was the high water mark of the season.

It's hard to get a read on the Zags. The won Maui with a big comeback against Cincinnati, handled Wisconsin easily in the same tournament, and the loss to Wake is kind of tough to read because their 3rd leading scorer, Elias Harris, got thrown out in the 1st half for throwing a forearm into Chas MacFarland's neck (come on, who hasn't wanted to do that?)

The Scheyer/Bouldin match-up should be great to watch, similar in size, both leaders of their teams, seniors, etc.

It's really a match-up of tall backcourts, Gonzaga goes 6'5", 6'5" with their starters, we match-up roughly the same. They are getting 30 of their 80PPG out of their backcourt (Bouldin and Gray).

Back to Harris - he's their best pro prospect and is shedding those freshman cobwebs to start surging. He had a big 27pt game against Davidson in their last game and was described and Chad Ford has an ESPN Insider piece up today that talks about how he's leapt up NBA draft boards with his play.

I am thinking that Singler draws that assignment.

This is a tough one to call. You'd think the balance tips in Duke's favor because of the familiarity with MSG and the "home" crowd, but this Zag team has a pretty high upside and seem to have strength where we have strength.

Is Matt Bouldin really 6'5? I thougt coming in that Nolan would be better off guarding Bouldin and Scheyer would guard Steven Gray because of his length. Overall, I think both teams match up really well with each other. Sacre down low will be a good test for Mason and Miles, Harris and Singler will be a good match up. It should be a fun game to watch. Both well coached teams who can shoot the ball and has some depth inside.

I say Duke pulls away at the end 77-67

weezie
12-17-2009, 02:05 PM
I say Duke pulls away at the end 77-67

That sounds right to me, too.
3/4 of the weezie brigade will be there but I have to leave the sequined sneakers at home since we have to go to a grown-up dinner afterwards;)

I am looking forward to those Harp lagers with the pretzel in the mug handle, though!

77devil
12-17-2009, 02:49 PM

I think you're underestimating the Devils, and you conveniently quoted my statement out of context by excluding the proviso if the Devils bring the A game.

The Zags are indeed well coached, but this year the Zags don't have the experience and the talent of seasons past. For what it's worth, Pomeroy and Sagrin project a 16 and 10 point Duke win, respectively, which is pretty handily by my definition. We'll just have to wait and see.

ChicagoCrazy84
12-17-2009, 03:46 PM
That sounds right to me, too.
3/4 of the weezie brigade will be there but I have to leave the sequined sneakers at home since we have to go to a grown-up dinner afterwards;)

I am looking forward to those Harp lagers with the pretzel in the mug handle, though!

Mmmmm!

soccerstud2210
12-17-2009, 03:53 PM
I will be there as well, looking foward to it. Second time in the Garden, last time I wasn't happy. 2007 game versus Pitt, when we had a big lead and lost in OT on Fields 3 pointer.

something about little chubby short point guards that eerrk me...

lavance fields, khalid elamin...

any other?

Wildcat
12-17-2009, 04:07 PM
teams always provide tough games for us. Arizona State and Wisconsin are the most recent ones that come to mind. Teams with grit, toughness, high basketball IQ's, and good fundamentals match-up well against us. We should win this one; but anything can happen.

MChambers
12-17-2009, 04:35 PM
http://basketballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=820

ChicagoCrazy84
12-17-2009, 04:38 PM
something about little chubby short point guards that eerrk me...

lavance fields, khalid elamin...

any other?

LeVance Fields I didn't mind, Khalid El Amin I couldn't stand! Mateen Cleaves as well. Not sure who you are referring to in the thread. Matt Bouldin? I love Bouldin, he is a beast.

superdave
12-17-2009, 05:21 PM

I'm driving up tomorrow night and dragging my mom along with me. Supposed to be snowy.

Scheyer has two MSG games under his belt this year - he should be able to keep the hot streak alive!

Troublemaker
12-17-2009, 08:09 PM
I think Gonzaga's starting lineup is at least as good as Duke's, probably better. The difference is that their big men, Sacre and Harris, can post and score with their backs to the basket. They are very skilled and coordinated big men; both are NBA prospects, imo. It doesn't end there, though. Their de facto point guard Matt Bouldin is an All-American candidate. Strong, quick, very skilled, very smart. He's Scheyer with more strength. Steven Gray is a very good shooter with good athleticism and smarts as well. Their "weakest" starter is Demetri Goodson who is quick but isn't as skilled an offensive threat as his teammates. Still, that's a very talented and well-rounded starting lineup. The Zags aren't deep, though, so a physical game with lots of fouls called would maybe tilt the advantage towards Duke. This will be the best team we've played so far this season.

FireOgilvie
12-17-2009, 08:49 PM
I think Gonzaga's starting lineup is at least as good as Duke's, probably better. The difference is that their big men, Sacre and Harris, can post and score with their backs to the basket. They are very skilled and coordinated big men; both are NBA prospects, imo. It doesn't end there, though. Their de facto point guard Matt Bouldin is an All-American candidate. Strong, quick, very skilled, very smart. He's Scheyer with more strength. Steven Gray is a very good shooter with good athleticism and smarts as well. Their "weakest" starter is Demetri Goodson who is quick but isn't as skilled an offensive threat as his teammates. Still, that's a very talented and well-rounded starting lineup. The Zags aren't deep, though, so a physical game with lots of fouls called would maybe tilt the advantage towards Duke. This will be the best team we've played so far this season.

I disagree with you that Gonzaga's starting lineup is better. Scheyer is absolutely better than Bouldin. It's not just that Scheyer averages more points, more assists, and fewer turnovers while playing against better competition for a better team; Scheyer is a more intelligent player. I think Scheyer is a first team All-American right now. Singler is also better than everyone on Gonzaga's team (I think we can all agree with this). Nolan would probably be Gonzaga's 2nd leading scorer. Their big men are good (and you could be right about them being possible NBA prospects in the future - I honestly haven't paid that much attention to them this year), but they're also young, and I wouldn't say they have much of an advantage there over the Plumlees or whoever we decide to start.

moonpie23
12-17-2009, 09:43 PM
I think you're underestimating the Devils, and you conveniently quoted my st For what it's worth, Pomeroy and Sagrin project a 16 and 10 point Duke win, respectively,

how'd those guys pick in the Duke/Wisc game

Troublemaker
12-18-2009, 01:33 AM
Scheyer is absolutely better than Bouldin.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I love Jon as a player -- how could you not? -- but there's nothing that he can do that Bouldin can't. And Bouldin is stronger.

There's a chance Bouldin won't play in this game because he became concussed two games ago and missed Gonzaga's previous game, but if his noggin is right, I can't wait to play him and see how we defend him. He's too strong for Nolan and Jon; he'd just take them to the post and work them. I think the best defensive matchups will be to put Singler on Bouldin, have Jon chase Gray, and put Nolan on Goodson with an eye on playing off and helping since Goodson isn't a great shooter.

Singler is also better than everyone on Gonzaga's team (I think we can all agree with this).

Nope, we part ways here as well.

I would rank the top 10 players on the court like this:

1) Bouldin (again, hopefully his head isn't screwed up)
2) Scheyer
3) Singler
4) Harris
5) Gray
6) Sacre
7) Nolan
8) Dawkins
9) Goodson
10) Lance

I think Singler will eventually develop into a consistent All American player this season but he's not there yet.

I honestly haven't paid that much attention to them this year

See, that's the thing. You'd have to have watched them this season to understand. This is a serious, serious basketball team. Don't be misled by the loss to Wake Forest where Harris was ejected in the first half. Every team plays a stinker here and there. Duke will, too. But on average, this Duke-Gonzaga game is going to be an Elite 8 quality game.

Troublemaker
12-18-2009, 01:45 AM
I am soooo geeked for this game. I don't want to wait another two days to see what I think will be an epic clash between Duke and Gonzaga. Set your DVR folks. Our boys and their boys are perfectably capable of playing an epic game that will be cherished forever by both Duke and Zags fans as we look back upon this season in later months.

flyingdutchdevil
12-18-2009, 05:54 AM
Any injury reports on our end? Singler's ankle? Nolan's knee? Everyone fine and dandy?

Kim*
12-18-2009, 08:34 AM
That Pitt game still haunts my nightmares. Out of all of the umpteen Duke games I've attended in my life, it was the first and only time I've ever seen them lose. That one always sticks with you. And to lose by ONE POINT in overtime? Worst train-ride home of my life, to say the least.

ANYWAY. I'll be there tomorrow as well. Anyone know any anti-snow rituals that I can perform in the meantime? My local weatherman is giving me a panic attack with his use of words like "heavy", "big storm", and "6 to 10 inches". :(

jimrowe0
12-18-2009, 02:32 PM
Looks like we are treking through alot of snow tomm. Luckily our hotel is close to the garden

gumbomoop
12-18-2009, 08:10 PM
I love Jon as a player -- how could you not? -- but there's nothing that he can do that Bouldin can't. And Bouldin is stronger.

You know Gonzaga much better than I, so I'm intrigued by this comment. Over on the Scheyer stats thread, I tried this evening to puzzle through what made JS so unusual. For me, what's so very, very, well, strange about JS isn't what he can do, but what he can't, but does, and fairly regularly.

So, does B do strikingly surprising things every game? Is B as intuitively creative game in, game out, as JS? I'll certainly be looking at this tomorrow.

Bob Green
12-19-2009, 04:42 AM
The News & Observer is predicting Coach Krzyzewski will insert Andre Dawkins early, switch Kyle Singler to power forward, and attempt to beat Gonzaga with a smaller line-up:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/248152.html

Thoughts? This is an intriguing idea as I like the strategy of making your opponent adjust to your game. However, we have considerable size and strength in the frontcourt with Plumlee, Plumlee, Zoubek, Thomas, and Kelly so a part of me desires to see Duke stay big and pound it out mano-a-mano against Gonzaga's bigs Sacre and Harris.

Anyway, I believe this N&O article provides a nice segue to actually discussing the X's and O's involved in the matchup against the Zags.

ChicagoCrazy84
12-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Does anyone know if the snow had an impact on either teams' travel schedule? I am guessing they got in early enough and beat it, but not quite sure.

77devil
12-19-2009, 11:12 AM
Does anyone know if the snow had an impact on either teams' travel schedule? I am guessing they got in early enough and beat it, but not quite sure.

I called MSG this morning and was told the game is on. Waiting for a train from Philly to NYC. Hope we make it back tonight.

uh_no
12-19-2009, 11:22 AM

The devils have been there since Thursday (or so I've heard). I'm sure gonzaga has been there equally early.

Indoor66
12-19-2009, 11:47 AM
The devils have been there since Thursday (or so I've heard). I'm sure gonzaga has been there equally early.

The bigger question is when they might get home.

westwall
12-19-2009, 12:06 PM
-- but expected to start in a couple of hours. Anyone still south of here undoubtedly is in it.

NSDukeFan
12-19-2009, 12:12 PM
The News & Observer is predicting Coach Krzyzewski will insert Andre Dawkins early, switch Kyle Singler to power forward, and attempt to beat Gonzaga with a smaller line-up:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/248152.html

Thoughts? This is an intriguing idea as I like the strategy of making your opponent adjust to your game. However, we have considerable size and strength in the frontcourt with Plumlee, Plumlee, Zoubek, Thomas, and Kelly so a part of me desires to see Duke stay big and pound it out mano-a-mano against Gonzaga's bigs Sacre and Harris.

Anyway, I believe this N&O article provides a nice segue to actually discussing the X's and O's involved in the matchup against the Zags.

I think we are better off using our size inside and seeing lots of the Plumlees, Z and Lance (and hopefully Ryan), especially with Sacre inside. We may need some of our fouls against him and I like our shot-blocking with some bigs inside. I am a sucker for dumping the ball in the post, so I am hoping to see us stay big.

jimrowe0
12-19-2009, 12:44 PM
At brother jimmys BBQ across the street from the garden. Decent duke crowd already, snow should be here by 2.

west_coast_devil
12-19-2009, 12:49 PM
I think we are better off using our size inside and seeing lots of the Plumlees, Z and Lance (and hopefully Ryan), especially with Sacre inside. We may need some of our fouls against him and I like our shot-blocking with some bigs inside. I am a sucker for dumping the ball in the post, so I am hoping to see us stay big.

not only that, but controlling the boards should be a key in dictating the tempo of the game in Dukes favor

gwwilburn
12-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Gonzaga is pretty big, so our frontcourt guys should have a test ahead of them. The only game I have seen them play so far is the Wake game, and Harris was gone for a lot of that one, so I'm not really familiar with this team. Bouldin looks pretty solid, though.

pfrduke
12-19-2009, 12:58 PM
Gonzaga is pretty big, so our frontcourt guys should have a test ahead of them. The only game I have seen them play so far is the Wake game, and Harris was gone for a lot of that one, so I'm not really familiar with this team. Bouldin looks pretty solid, though.

They're not quite as big as FSU. They have a 7 footer in Sacre who starts and gets 25 mpg. Their other 4 main guys go 5'11, 6'5, 6'5, 6'8. Kelly Olynyk is a 6'11 backup center who gets similar minutes to Zoubek. They have another 6'11 guy and a 7'5 dude who get little use.

Their size is really on the wing - the 2-3 guys are all 6'5 and above.

gwwilburn
12-19-2009, 01:03 PM
They're not quite as big as FSU. They have a 7 footer in Sacre who starts and gets 25 mpg. Their other 4 main guys go 5'11, 6'5, 6'5, 6'8. Kelly Olynyk is a 6'11 backup center who gets similar minutes to Zoubek. They have another 6'11 guy and a 7'5 dude who get little use.

Their size is really on the wing - the 2-3 guys are all 6'5 and above.

I looked at their lineup and changed my last post. I was remembering something that Phelps or Gottlieb was talking about back in November on ESPN, reporting on said 7'5" dude. I guess he is still pretty raw, though. But I agree, there wings are pretty big and that is something I am a little worried about.

jimrowe0
12-19-2009, 01:14 PM
It's snowing now...

geraldsneighbor
12-19-2009, 01:28 PM
Well, I'm snowed in. I will not be able to use my tickets this afternoon... fml.:(

airowe
12-19-2009, 01:30 PM
I looked at their lineup and changed my last post. I was remembering something that Phelps or Gottlieb was talking about back in November on ESPN, reporting on said 7'5" dude. I guess he is still pretty raw, though. But I agree, there wings are pretty big and that is something I am a little worried about.

Huh. So our our wings.

Scheyer 6'5"
Singler 6'8"
Dawkins 6'4"

Nolan's really the only one giving up height, but put him on the 5'11" guy and he's got 1 - 2 inches on him...

Not really worried about the height thing in this one, although Sacre could pound us inside. As long as our guys rebound well, I think we'll be alright.

My prediction:

Duke 74

Gonzaga 68

Fish80
12-19-2009, 01:52 PM
The train from CT to Grand Central is packed with Dukies! Awesome, baby!

jpfrizzle
12-19-2009, 02:41 PM
and NY is gettin slammed with a blizzard

Snowfall Outlook (http://www.weatherbug.com/images/bugtoday/Snow_121909_1.jpg)

I guess snow or no snow, DUKE is playin Gonzaga

Greg_Newton
12-19-2009, 02:53 PM
I'm going to predict that Gonzaga out-muscles us, out-hustles us and runs us out of the building... because our predictions for big games have been 180 degrees wrong so far this year. (See UConn, Wisconsin...) So, Lance and Z won't show up, the Plumlees will be totally lost, and the big 3 won't be able to hit the broad side of a barn.

(Thank me later...):D

ghendo
12-19-2009, 03:14 PM
If anybody is at work, over seas in the military, or doesn't have cable. I am streaming the game on Justin.Tv for anybody looking for an online stream of the game. I hope that this finds somebody who is in need of it!

www.justin.tv/accsportszone2

jpfrizzle
12-19-2009, 03:16 PM
Lets not jinx it yet!!

airowe
12-19-2009, 04:00 PM
Gametime!

grc5
12-19-2009, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the link! In DC, they'd rather show news reports about how it's STILL snowing. We get it, there's a lot of snow

Mabdul Doobakus
12-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the link! In DC, they'd rather show news reports about how it's STILL snowing. We get it, there's a lot of snow

I know. Frustrating. I just want to curl up on my couch and watch the game, but I guess this stream is better than nothing.

Mabdul Doobakus
12-19-2009, 04:16 PM

Actually, they just put alternate channels on the bottom of the screen. If you're Comcast, which I am, try 203...otherwise, wait and they'll put up the other channels again soon enough. I feel better now.

Tucknut
12-19-2009, 04:27 PM
Wow. 6 points in over 8 minutes.

It's got to be the black shoes.

Dukeface88
12-19-2009, 04:29 PM
Ugly day for an ugly game I guess.

jipops
12-19-2009, 04:30 PM
These look like 2 bad teams so far. It's not just good defense. Both teams are throwing up ugly shots and not valuing the ball.

grossbus
12-19-2009, 04:31 PM
Did the team get stranded in derm?? Or just the offense?

jipops
12-19-2009, 04:31 PM
Absolutely no movement off the ball. I don't know what we're doing out there right now.

FireOgilvie
12-19-2009, 04:32 PM
Ugly ugly ugly game. The officials are horrible so far. They blew the call where Singler had the ball knocked out of his hands out of bounds and then called a questionable offensive foul on him. Both teams look bad.

burns15
12-19-2009, 04:33 PM
what is wrong with singler? he can't do anything right recently

Indoor66
12-19-2009, 04:37 PM
This is a little like going to the dentist!

DST Fan
12-19-2009, 04:41 PM
If anybody is at work, over seas in the military, or doesn't have cable. I am streaming the game on Justin.Tv for anybody looking for an online stream of the game. I hope that this finds somebody who is in need of it!

Thanks for posting the link. As noted in the thread, the CBS affiliate in D.C. is not showing the game.

Welcome2DaSlopes
12-19-2009, 04:43 PM
Thanks for posting the link. As noted in the thread, the CBS affiliate in D.C. is not showing the game.

If you have comcast it's on channel 203

DST Fan
12-19-2009, 04:49 PM
If you have comcast it's on channel 203

We don't have Comcast, but thanks.

Bob Green
12-19-2009, 04:49 PM
Duke with a 15-2 run. Our defense is creating scoring opportunities. The halfcourt offense still looks bogged down like we are playing in beach sand.

jpfrizzle
12-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Scheyer on fire :D

and players keep fouling Scheyer on the 3 :rolleyes:

chrisheery
12-19-2009, 04:54 PM
Mark that down. Entry pass, strong turn, hook shot, good. Way to go Miles. Love to see more of that.

Followed by a nice, controlled drive by Mason.

Um, fantastic?

FireOgilvie
12-19-2009, 04:55 PM
Mason made a great drive and shot. I hope he can start doing that consistently.

The Gordog
12-19-2009, 05:02 PM

Thank you SO MUCH. I live in DC (VA) and I was DVR'ing it and started to watch after half an hour or so we can skip the commercials (I hate having my young kids have to watch all the commercials.)

You rock!

Greg_Newton
...and players keep fouling Scheyer on the 3 :rolleyes:

I am convinced Scheyer has figured out a way to alter his shot when he sees a player coming at him from an angle that consistently draws contact. I think he follows through straight forward rather than up at an angle when he sees this, which puts his wrist in the defender's path. Clever, clever.

:D@ us giving up 1/3 of the points in the first half as UNC did in their game.

MChambers

It's on 9.2 in DC. I thought the same as you for a few minutes.

mcdukie
12-19-2009, 05:03 PM

Thanks for the link. I have the Dish, so I was not able to find the game. I was looking forward to being snowed in and watching the Dukies. Instead I get to see news on snow that I can look outside and see. The only thing I don't like is the conversation that was on Justin tv with the Duke haters!!!

cspan37421
12-19-2009, 05:03 PM
Verne L.'s voice is just terrible. He should have stayed in bed today.

I used to like Clark Kellogg but he's really getting annoying with his efforts to sound clever. Exhibit A: the "bagel" comments for the number zero.

Go Duke. I have a feeling the second half is really going to open up - faster pace, few ref calls except the most obvious fouls.

airowe
12-19-2009, 05:04 PM
Ryan Kelly is really putting in some quality minutes today. Doing all the little things and playing with an edge we haven't seen this year. I liked that long shot he made earlier too. Maybe he's been working on his shot?

airowe
12-19-2009, 05:06 PM
We've really taken Bouldin out of this game too. Great defensive effort by the whole team. We'll se how Miles can play in foul trouble.

cspan37421
12-19-2009, 05:07 PM
I'm all for safety precautions, esp. to protect teeth, but Ryan's mouthpiece makes him look like one of those kids in the back of National Geo who needs some money for an operation to fix a cleft lip. Maybe time to find one that fits him.

gwwilburn
On ESPN's site, they say Singler has one foul and Miles four. On CBS', it says Miles and Kyle at three, and Zoubek at one. Can anyone clarify?

DukeBlood
Smith has been the leader in the first half, Really great D. Kelly looked good in the limited time he was in, that was encouraging. Singler.... In due time :). He will bust out big time soon(I hope).

Overall a ugly first half, but Dukes D really turned it up. They were aggressive and relentless.

cspan37421
12-19-2009, 05:08 PM
I think both websites are probably wrong. I doubt Kyle would have been in there at the end with 3.

pfrduke
12-19-2009, 05:09 PM
Plus-minusing the first half (and no, Lance Thomas's numbers are not a typo):

Thomas: 25-2 (+23)
Smith: 29-13 (+16)
Scheyer: 31-17 (+14)
Singler: 28-17 (+11)
Zoubek: 15-4 (+11)
MP1: 13-9 (+4)
Dawkins: 3-4 (-1)
Kelly: 7-11 (-4)
MP2: 4-8 (-4)

77devil
12-19-2009, 05:14 PM
I think both websites are probably wrong. I doubt Kyle would have been in there at the end with 3.

2 for Kyle and 3 for Miles per MSG scoreboard. K left them both in with 2 and 3 min left in the half and a 14 point lead.

Greg_Newton
12-19-2009, 05:21 PM
"And that was Gray, going for the steal..." as Gray futiley dives after an awful wide open pass from his own teammate. This is a strange game to watch.

The Plumlees really do get a raw deal from the refs, on both ends of the court. If they looked like "athletes", I don't think we'd see this many quick whistles on their blocks.

FireOgilvie
12-19-2009, 05:23 PM
Singler needs to get his head in the game. The coaches are really angry with him. Collins, I believe, was yelling at him on the sideline.

cspan37421
12-19-2009, 05:25 PM
yeah, going for the steal. Verne, time to retire.

How about the non-call on the pulldown of Singler? Granted, he's having an awful game and that usu. correlates with not getting the benefit of the doubt, but that's just poor sportsmanship (IMHO).

Bob Green
12-19-2009, 05:29 PM
How about the non-call on the pulldown of Singler? Granted, he's having an awful game and that usu. correlates with not getting the benefit of the doubt, but that's just poor sportsmanship (IMHO).

It looked to me like they just got tangled up. A good no call by the Refs, IMO.

DevilHorns
12-19-2009, 05:33 PM
commentators havent mentioned it, but i think mason hurt himself. hopefully not the wrist.

jipops
12-19-2009, 05:33 PM
It looks like Plumlee just hurt his wrist again. AAAARRRRRHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

slower
12-19-2009, 05:34 PM
Can't ANY of these guys hold on to the ball. Disgusting and PATHETIC!!!!

Good Lord, watch for poke-away or the deflection or whatever - but just GET YOUR HEADS IN THE GAME! And I don't care how large of a lead they have, this shouldn't be happening.

Greg_Newton
12-19-2009, 05:34 PM
Oh god. That was definitely Mason's wrist. Pray it's not bad.

pfrduke
12-19-2009, 05:36 PM
Can't ANY of these guys hold on to the ball. Disgusting and PATHETIC!!!!

Yeah, I get ticked off when we're beating top 15 teams by 20 too. :rolleyes:

DevilHorns
12-19-2009, 05:38 PM

he's still on the bench, i think maybe he might have been hit in the groin, and not the wrist.

airowe
12-19-2009, 05:39 PM

Seriously. This might not be a pretty game but we would be getting killed in this game last year. Solid effort in an ugly game.

FireOgilvie
12-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Verne Lundquist is absolutely horrible.

jipops
12-19-2009, 05:40 PM

It actually may not be that bad. He's not sitting at the end of the bench which is a decent sign and it appears to only have a small black wrap on it.

grossbus
12-19-2009, 05:46 PM
He was certainly holding the wrist and that's what they were looking at on the bench.

DevilHorns
12-19-2009, 05:46 PM
nolan's stroke looks sweet today. whats up with kyle? he's been dissapointing of late. he needs to get his head in the game!

great overall effort so far by the good guys. i love the intensity on defense. and Z playing well too? thas just icing.

Indoor66
12-19-2009, 05:47 PM
Seriously. This might not be a pretty game but we would be getting killed in this game last year. Solid effort in an ugly game.

We arn't playing them last year, we are killing them this year.

SCMatt33
12-19-2009, 05:47 PM
Did anybody see if it was the same wrist as before?

Indoor66
12-19-2009, 05:48 PM
Did anybody see if it was the same wrist as before?

It appeared to me that he took a shot in the groin.

CBDUKE
I just love John Scheyer. He is such a heady player and he does so many small things that do not show up in the stats.

slower

Look, I know a win is a win.

I know that Coach Collins was peeved on at least one play, when he smacked Kyle in the butt harder than usual as they came off the floor.

But, yeah, I get that they are winning.

SupaDave
12-19-2009, 05:50 PM
Zoubs is having a great game and displaying some great footwork and speed. Lance has had a few plays that wont show up in his stats.

I like the patience the team has shown today.

Greg_Newton
12-19-2009, 05:50 PM
Perhaps Ryan could see the floor again up 59-30 with 6 mins left?:D Maybe even Ole-

Oh, wait...

ETA: Thank you, K.

ETA again: Mason coming back in... nice to see, but a good idea? It's been confirmed that he did reaggravate his wrist..

ETA again: Zoubek is for realz. Beautiful to see, hope he keeps it up.

chrisheery
12-19-2009, 05:51 PM
It seems we are all missing the fact that we are essentially doubling up a top 15 team, a perennial powerhouse, on the national stage. That's pretty good, no matter how ugly it is.

chrisheery
12-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Perhaps Ryan could see the floor again up 59-30 with 6 mins left?:D Maybe even Ole-

Oh, wait...

ETA: Thank you, K.

Speak of the tall gangly guy . . .

Sir Stealth
Mason's coming back in.

grossbus
Mason coming back in.

YourLandlord
12-19-2009, 05:54 PM
It seems we are all missing the fact that we are essentially doubling up a top 15 team, a perennial powerhouse, on the national stage. That's pretty good, no matter how ugly it is.

This score is pretty incredible.

DevilHorns
12-19-2009, 05:55 PM
when nolan plays well like this, we can beat ANYONE. and i mean it. today miles had a poor game, kyle didnt come out until later, and we still put on a show. excellent game.

SupaDave
12-19-2009, 05:56 PM

Well said. POTT...

chrisheery
12-19-2009, 05:56 PM
When Nolan is making jump shots, he is a complete stud on offense (and it seems like it is helping his defense too). If he plays like this, Kyle figures out whatever is wrong, and the Plumlees develop, we are going to be very very good at the end of the season.

I have been critical of Zoubek on almost every occasion, but the guy is playing fantastic basketball today. Going up strong and finishing everything near the hoop.

airowe
12-19-2009, 05:57 PM

There's no way we win an ugly game like this last year. Is that a better way to put it? :confused:

Welcome2DaSlopes
12-19-2009, 05:58 PM
They have not mention Olek transfering.

Just throwing that out there.

jpfrizzle
12-19-2009, 05:59 PM
makes me ponder who the MOTM will be when the game is over :)

airowe
When Nolan is making jump shots, he is a complete stud on offense (and it seems like it is helping his defense too). If he plays like this, Kyle figures out whatever is wrong, and the Plumlees develop, we are going to be very very good at the end of the season.

I have been critical of Zoubek on almost every occasion, but the guy is playing fantastic basketball today. Going up strong and finishing everything near the hoop.

Absolutely. Zoubs has put together a nice string of games since that Wisconsin game. He's playing great D on Sacre and cleaning up the glass.

Nice to see Nolan hitting consistent jumpers too. He's got a sick crossover and pullback when guys are in his belly.

chrisheery
Probably because no one would even know who he is except the Duke fans who already know he is going.

Indoor66
12-19-2009, 06:00 PM
makes me ponder who the MOTM will be when the game is over :)

Jon - he controlled the entire game.

SCMatt33
12-19-2009, 06:01 PM
Ref called the number on the last foul and three zag players looked down at their jerseys. lol.

SupaDave
12-19-2009, 06:02 PM
There's no way we win an ugly game like this last year. Is that a better way to put it? :confused:

But we did indeed win ugly games last year. So what are you basing this on?

FireOgilvie
12-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Wow, so much for questions about Ryan Kelly's shooting form. It looks completely different today and he just drained a 3.

chrisheery
12-19-2009, 06:04 PM
Ryan Kelly is really really good. I can't wait to see him when he puts some weight on. He has the entire package. If he could jump like Mason and had his body, he'd be a lottery pick.

chrisheery
12-19-2009, 06:06 PM
Would have doubled them up if not for that last shot. Wow.