PDA

View Full Version : Mike Paulus

Gargoyle
12-16-2009, 09:44 PM
to transfer to William & Mary.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/story/6635143/

Devilsfan
12-16-2009, 09:49 PM
Who's the in charge of football there, William or Mary?

dukelifer
12-16-2009, 11:02 PM
to transfer to William & Mary.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/story/6635143/

Is he going there to play bball?

CameronBornAndBred
12-17-2009, 12:07 AM
He shoulda thought about Syracuse.:D

whereinthehellami
12-17-2009, 08:26 AM
I've never understood the rationale of QBs transferring to D2 schools to play immediately. It comes across to me as taking the easy way out. Like they are afraid of competition.

DevilWolf
12-17-2009, 08:31 AM
I've never understood the rationale of QBs transferring to D2 schools to play immediately. It comes across to me as taking the easy way out. Like they are afraid of competition.

William and Mary is a really good school. Just saying.

CDu
12-17-2009, 08:35 AM

I wouldn't look at it that way, though that is possibly the reason for some of them.

But the biggest reason that a lot of those guys transfer to FCS or D-II schools because they've already redshirted and would thus lose a year of playing time (you only get 5 years barring severe injury). That's Paulus's situation. Why burn your junior year sitting out for eligibility reasons to play one FBS season when you could have fun and play two D-II seasons instead?

A lesser reasons might be that they know they aren't playing in the NFL and just want to get to play football again right away rather than sit the bench.

Or maybe they want to go to a pretty good lower-tier team and get a nearly-guaranteed chance to impress scouts for the NFL (like Joe Flacco did) in a system that illustrates their skills. You really only get one chance in making a transfer. If you transfer to another FBS school and don't get the job, you're out of options.

brevity
12-17-2009, 09:09 AM
William & Mary is a Division I school in football: formerly called Division I-AA, now called FCS. This means that, theoretically, Mike Paulus could lead his team through the playoffs and play for a legitimate national championship, something that even Tim Tebow has never done.

CDu
12-17-2009, 09:21 AM
William & Mary is a Division I school in football: formerly called Division I-AA, now called FCS. This means that, theoretically, Mike Paulus could lead his team through the playoffs and play for a legitimate national championship, something that even Tim Tebow has never done.

And he can do so for two years, as opposed to only one year if he transferred to a D-1 school.

Although I would quibble about the legitimacy of an FBS national championship. There's nothing that requires the criteria for a championship to be a tournament. It's no less legitimate a championship under its defined criteria. It's just not a tournament-defined championship.

brevity
12-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Although I would quibble about the legitimacy of an FBS national championship. There's nothing that requires the criteria for a championship to be a tournament. It's no less legitimate a championship under its defined criteria. It's just not a tournament-defined championship.

Can you name another modern championship, outside of college football, that isn't determined by some kind of tournament?

Maybe the Ivy League basketball crown would count, but even then the teams have played each other in a regular season round robin format. That's not a situation in which multiple teams could lay claim to a title, and one is merely selected without having to ever face the other(s).

You'll have an impossible time trying to convince me of the legitimacy of a BCS title holder, even if it's the only undefeated team left that season. I believe that the lack of a playoff at this level of college football is the single worst socially accepted practice in all of sports, and probably in the top 100 worst socially accepted practices in all of humanity.

CDu
12-17-2009, 10:17 AM
Can you name another modern championship, outside of college football, that isn't determined by some kind of tournament?

English Premier League soccer for one. Admittedly, they're able to play a round-robin. But that's because their are only 20 teams or so involved. But it is important to note that they do have tournaments yet still consider their champion the regular season winner. If football could do a round-robin that would be ideal. Anything less is flawed including both a small single-elimination tournament and the BCS system.

You'll have an impossible time trying to convince me of the legitimacy of a BCS title holder, even if it's the only undefeated team left that season. I believe that the lack of a playoff at this level of college football is the single worst socially accepted practice in all of sports, and probably in the top 100 worst socially accepted practices in all of humanity.

Well, I don't really feel a need to convince you. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not legitimate. You may not agree with the format, but that doesn't make it not legitimate. The powers that be have determined a system of identifying the two teams that, over the course of an entire season, have been superior to all of the other teams in the country. Those two teams play each other, and the winner is the BCS national champion.

It's an alternative form of determining a champion, and one that you and many others clearly don't like. But it's still a legitimate champion. I feel that this thread is now in the process of being hijacked into another tired debate about tournament vs bowls, and for that I apologize to the original poster. Though I guess we've technically exhausted the discussion of Mike Paulus at this point.

miramar
12-17-2009, 10:39 AM
He will get a chance for immediate playing time at a really good school. Plus he gets away from UNC. Sounds like a win win situation.

Olympic Fan
12-17-2009, 10:43 AM
To continue to hijack this thread, let me weigh in by saying the BCS Championship is what it is -- the BCS Championship.

It is definitely NOT the NCAA championship -- FBS football is the only recognized NCAA sport that does not select an official NCAA champion.

In my mind, it's not the "National" championship -- it's a system set up to insure that one of the six major conferences (plus Notre Dame) are the only teams that can win their title. Last year, for instance, unbeaten Utah (which thrashed Alabama in the Sugar Bowl) had a much better claim to any national title than once-beaten Florida (which barely scraped by Alabama in the SEC title game). But because the BCS was set up to prevent teams like Utah last year (or TCU or Boise State this year) from proving themselves against the "so-called" major teams in postseason, we never know what the best team really is.

To me, the BCS champion has the same relationship to the national championship as the Heisman Trophy (open only to QBs and TBs) does to picking the nation's best football player.

As for Mr. Paulus, the younger, I wish him luck at W&M. It makes sense for him to play at a FCS (that's not Division II) team since he can play for two years and not one.

And as for "taking the easy way out" -- maybe he should have transferred to Virginia (which lost to W&M this year). Oh wait, the team he's transferring to -- William & Mary -- beat the team (Virginia) that beat the team that he's leaving ... so maybe he's actually trying to go somewhere where they play BETTER football! ;-)

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-17-2009, 10:45 AM
He will get a chance for immediate playing time at a really good school. Plus he gets away from UNC. Sounds like a win win situation.

That's a good description of this move. Mike will have an opportunity to play and enjoy his remaining eligibility. I'm certain that W&M will be a good fit for him.

FYI One of the administrators in the William & Mary Athletic Department was a former assistant coach at Duke under Bill Foster ..... Bobby Dwyer.

brevity
12-17-2009, 10:47 AM
Though I guess we've technically exhausted the discussion of Mike Paulus at this point.

My exact thoughts before posting my last message. The thread must change, or end.