PDA

View Full Version : Mike MacIntyre to be named head coach at San Jose State

Acymetric
12-16-2009, 06:46 PM
Duke's defensive coordinator Mike MacIntyre is reportedly going to be named the head coach at San Jose State, after winning assistant coach of the year this past season at Duke. Best of luck to him...it will be interesting to see who we get as a replacement.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4748594)

OZZIE4DUKE
12-16-2009, 09:00 PM
Best of luck to Mike. We're losing a helluva defensive coach. I'm sure Coach Cut will hire someone of high capabilities and high quality. I would like to think he'll have his choice of potential candidates.

YourLandlord
12-16-2009, 09:16 PM
Best of luck to Mike. We're losing a helluva defensive coach.

Maybe I'm naive, but how did the Duke defensive coordinator win any awards this year?

Points allowed:

66th in FBS in total defense, 84th in points allowed.

Devilsfan
12-16-2009, 09:48 PM
Some people just get pleasure raining on someones parade. When you finish that high with an empty cupboard I thinks it's pretty darn good.

Kewlswim
12-16-2009, 10:06 PM
Some people just get pleasure raining on someones parade. When you finish that high with an empty cupboard I thinks it's pretty darn good.

Hi,

Good luck Coach MacIntyre and I look forward to seeing who Coach Cut replaces you with.

GO DUKE!

CameronBornAndBred
12-17-2009, 12:06 AM
Congrats to him and best of luck in his new job. To anyone who questions his recognition, take a look at the athletes he had to work with compared with the results he got. (And compared to the same results the same athletes had acheived before). Duke does not win the games that it had won in the last two years without much improved defense. He had better results on the defensive side of the ball using the same group that Roof had recruited. Take a look at games this season that were won or at least within reach.
VT was winnable until late in the 4th quarter when the defense finally tired out. The defense completely shut down NCSU in the second half. They handled Army's vaunted rushing game better than most of their opponents did this season.
Sure, we had games with lots of points on us, but those were because the teams attacked our secondary, and it's no secret that group was a weakness. But until MacIntyre can put his corners on the rack and make them taller, that's a weakness that is hard to overcome.
Congrats again!

wolfpackdevil
12-17-2009, 12:09 AM
Maybe I'm naive, but how did the Duke defensive coordinator win any awards this year?

Points allowed:

66th in FBS in total defense, 84th in points allowed.

I hate to rain on the parade, but I also agree with you on this. He did a really good job against some offenses. But some games, Duke's defense was eaten for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I thought that with all the upperclassmen on defense; (Oghabaase, Rey, Okpokowuruk, Oglesbee, Wright, and Gaine,) that the defense could have been a lot better.

Now I hope Coach MacIntyre has a great career at San Jose State, but this isn't like losing Johnny Dawkins.

CDu
12-17-2009, 08:50 AM
I hate to rain on the parade, but I also agree with you on this. He did a really good job against some offenses. But some games, Duke's defense was eaten for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I thought that with all the upperclassmen on defense; (Oghabaase, Rey, Okpokowuruk, Oglesbee, Wright, and Gaine,) that the defense could have been a lot better.

Now I hope Coach MacIntyre has a great career at San Jose State, but this isn't like losing Johnny Dawkins.

You can scratch Big Vince out for about half of those games due to injury. He missed at least 4 games with injury and didn't record a stat in six of the 12 games (I suspect he either didn't play or played VERY sparingly).

johnb
12-17-2009, 09:57 AM
They handled Army's vaunted rushing game.

Army's best backs (Doc Blanchard and Glenn Davis) were amazing runners, and I don't think either of them gained a yard against us!

Wait, what year is this?

DukeSince'77
12-17-2009, 04:34 PM
any word yet on who Coach Cut is considering for the position?

CameronBornAndBred
12-17-2009, 05:34 PM
any word yet on who Coach Cut is considering for the position?
Ted Roof was always good at that job. Think Auburn would let him go?:D

grit74
12-17-2009, 05:57 PM
how about Phil Fulmer?

juise
12-17-2009, 06:12 PM
how about Phil Fulmer?

You may have been kidding, but I thought this was worth noting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phillip_Fulmer

Fulmer can currently be found as a sports analyst on CBS's SEC Postgame Show. Fulmer also believes he will coach again in the future. He is looking to establish himself at a well-established school. "Somebody that's committed to winning championships and being the best that they can be, with a chance to compete in a conference that's nationally recognized. I'm not going to go walk into a door somewhere that you have no chance to be successful."

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-17-2009, 07:02 PM
No names of candidates for the defensive coordinator's job seem to be leaking out yet. I suspect there are some good possibilities among former players or fellow coaches Coach Cutcliffe has known over the course of his career.

Inonehand
12-18-2009, 08:33 AM
No names of candidates for the defensive coordinator's job seem to be leaking out yet. I suspect there are some good possibilities among former players or fellow coaches Coach Cutcliffe has known over the course of his career.

I for one think the defense had a very good season considering the lack of depth we had. Generally, they kept us in the game early against most teams. However, am I missing something. Wasn't Coach Mac the CO-defensive coordinator? Marion Hobby is still here.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-18-2009, 09:11 AM
I for one think the defense had a very good season considering the lack of depth we had. Generally, they kept us in the game early against most teams. However, am I missing something. Wasn't Coach Mac the CO-defensive coordinator? Marion Hobby is still here.

You're correct. Coach Hobby did share those duties with Coach McIntyre and is still at Duke.

What was going through my mind as I posted the earlier comments is that another assistant coach will be hired, Coach Cutcliffe has lots of contacts and possibilities in the pool of people he knows and lastly, there may be some realignment of responsibilities as coaching personnel change.... that's not a reflection on Coach Hobby, just an observation related to the effect of changes in personnel in organizations.