PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Art Chandler Retrospective

airowe
12-16-2009, 03:12 PM
http://www.goduke.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204858852

msdukie
12-16-2009, 03:34 PM
On the day Duke honors him this spring (I'd really like to know what game), Duke should hang a white banner in the rafters with a microphone image and:

Dr. Art Chandler
"The Voice of Cameron"
1970-2010

There should be no need for dicussion on this point.

msdukie
12-16-2009, 03:35 PM
Actually, it would be appropriate if they added "Here Comes Duke!" to the banner as well.

Highlander
12-16-2009, 03:40 PM
I always tell my wife that if I were ever offered the chance to do the PA in Cameron, then we would relocate to Durham, no questions asked. I'd love to take his place, but somehow I don't think that call will come.

What a great story. I never knew he did it every night for no salary.

Thanks for the memories Art - we will miss you!

diveonthefloor
12-16-2009, 03:51 PM
I first became a Dr Chandler fan during my freshman year (1980). I could've sworn he did the "Here comes Duke" intro way before the Alaa Abdelnaby years.

How ironic that he now works at UNC med center? Bet he has to hold his nose a lot around there! :D

uh_no
12-16-2009, 04:15 PM
On the day Duke honors him this spring (I'd really like to know what game), Duke should hang a white banner in the rafters with a microphone image and:

Dr. Art Chandler
"The Voice of Cameron"
1970-2010

There should be no need for dicussion on this point.

Perhaps email Chris Spatola or Kevin White with these suggestions, i'm sure they'd be very receptive

dukestheheat
12-16-2009, 04:26 PM
One of my favorite phrases was: 'and here come your #1 Duke Blue Devils!'.

dth.

wandalee
12-16-2009, 04:57 PM
Dr. Chandler was my eye doctor when I first moved here back in 1984. He was a great doctor (and, I'm sure, still is). He will be greatly missed at Cameron.

DukeCO2009
12-16-2009, 05:11 PM
I normally don't like the idea of hanging umpteen banners (never been a fan of the #1's, for instance), but if anyone deserves to be immortalized in Cameron it's Dr. Chandler. It's a shame he's retiring, and he'll certainly be missed.

On a slightly different note, does anyone know if Art was behind the mic against Gardner-Webb? The guy's voice didn't sound all that different from Art's, so perhaps the sound settings had just been tweaked and Art was indeed there (I couldn't see the scorer's table). If it wasn't him, though, I really liked whoever filled in and he gets my vote for Art's replacement.

hurleyfor3
12-16-2009, 06:36 PM
One of my favorite phrases was: 'and here come your #1 Duke Blue Devils!'.

dth.

Not to mention, Here are your National Champion Blue Devils! Spent half my college career hearing that.

But I remember most his well-enunciated, yet never theatrical, calls on scoring plays:

Chriss-tiannnnn Laett-nerrrrrrr frommm Bob-byyyyyy Hurr-leyyyyyyyy.

wandalee
12-16-2009, 08:14 PM
Dr Chandler did not annoucne the GW game. That was Ted Million, who routinely does the women's games.

Kewlswim
12-16-2009, 09:13 PM
"Hello Ladies and Gentlemen and Welcome to Cameron Indoor Stadium, where the skies are always Duke blue." I think this was only done vs UNC. Great memories. I miss Duke. :(

GO DUKE!