PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for where to watch Duke bball in Greensboro?

zingit
12-15-2009, 10:34 PM
Hey guys, I just graduated from Duke in May and moved to Greensboro in September for a job. I haven't really explored the area much yet, so I don't know what the good sports bars are. My TV's broken right now, so I've been watching the past few games on justin.tv, but the small fuzzy video feed just isn't going to cut it for a big game like Duke vs. Gonzaga. Does anyone have any suggestions for a Duke-friendly place to watch the game on Saturday? I'm not really into beer, or even alcohol in general, so that is not the issue; I'm just looking for a nice atmosphere and decent food--and a big screen TV showing my favorite team! Other Greensboro-related recommendations are appreciated as well. :)

Lord Ash
12-15-2009, 11:03 PM
When I managed the teams at the Coliseum we would always head over to JP Looneys for some Looney chips and Duke games... should be as good a place as any to watch, and the food ain't bad either.

roywhite
12-16-2009, 11:45 AM
When I managed the teams at the Coliseum we would always head over to JP Looneys for some Looney chips and Duke games... should be as good a place as any to watch, and the food ain't bad either.

http://www.jplooneys.com/

Yeah, I would agree with that choice; there's actually 2 other locations besides the Greensboro place.

It's certainly a sports bar, with most of the people there consuming adult beverages, but the food is good and there are enough sections of the bar where you could find a quiet spot (or some other Duke fans possibly).

zingit
12-16-2009, 08:02 PM
Thanks, guys! This sounds like just what I'm looking for! I will definitely check it out on Saturday. I know I've passed this place before (it's not too far from where I live), I just hadn't really taken note of it.

Meanwhile in "adventures of a Duke grad living in Greensboro," I was wearing a sweatshirt today that said "K-VILLE" on it (they were given to all the tenters one year), and a girl asked me if it means I'm from Kernersville. Ha. That amused me for some reason.

YmoBeThere
12-17-2009, 06:23 AM
When I was living in G-boro, locals would refer to Kernersville as K-Vegas. I was always...wtf? I passed through Kernersville nearly every day on my way into Winston-Salem.

RelativeWays
12-17-2009, 07:17 AM
"K-Vegas" is sort of a backhanded insult to Kernersville, which is pretty much a backwoods hick town you think would benefit from being between W-S and G'boro but it does not. It has a reputation of being a meth haven.

Greensboro is one of the more Duke friendly cities in NC, though you will find a large number of UNC grads there as well. Since Moses Cone Health is such a large employer in the city its not uncommon to find a number of Duke med alum there. I never felt outnumbered there anyway.

hurleyfor3
12-17-2009, 01:08 PM
Greater Greensboro. It's groin-grabbingly great! I'll be flying down there in a few days.

Greensboro always struck me as a mini-Charlotte with more of a pure North Carolina feel. The Triangle has too many Northerners and Charlotte wishes it were Atlanta. But GBoro seems happy in its own skin. It hasn't grown to the point of subsuming its surrounding towns (as Charlotte has with Pineville, Huntersville, etc) so it seems kind of charming that places like Kernersville still exist.

zingit
12-19-2009, 10:29 PM
So, I braved the snow to go to JP Looney's today and had a good time there, so thanks again for the suggestion. Although I did have to specifically ask them to turn a TV to the Duke game, as all the TVs were still on the Carolina game when I walked in just past 4:00. It would have been yucky to be around all those Carolina fans if they had made a comeback, but instead I got a nice dose of schadenfreude. And jalapeno poppers!