PDA

View Full Version : Cameron's Basketball Goals (?)

BlueDevilCorvette!
12-15-2009, 01:00 PM
I've never visited CIS before but hope someday I will have that pleasure. My question is for anyone who has attended a game in CIS...does the iron beams that extend from the ceiling, that support the basketball backboard and goal, limit your ability to see to the extent that it's aggravating? People seated in the north or south end of the arena would likely be the ones visually impaired from the action. Also, has Duke ever thought about using mobile goals similar to what most colleges or NBA teams have? Thanks for your thoughts to those who have had the actual honor of attending a game in CIS.

CLT Devil
12-15-2009, 01:05 PM
I've never visited CIS before but hope someday I will have that pleasure. My question is for anyone who has attended a game in CIS...does the iron beams that extend from the ceiling, that support the basketball backboard and goal, limit your ability to see to the extent that it's aggravating? People seated in the north or south end of the arena would likely be the ones visually impaired from the action. Also, has Duke ever thought about using mobile goals similar to what most colleges or NBA teams have? Thanks for your thoughts to those who have had the actual honor of attending a game in CIS.

As far as I know CIS is the only college arena where the baskets come down from the ceiling like that. I've always wondered if they get in the way, but could also see how people on the floor behind the goals benefit from their location.

The only thing that hinders my view are the banners that have been moved to make room for more, and room for the new scoreboard...I guess that's what you'd call a good problem to have, but I miss being able to see how may points, fouls, TO's, etc are on the screen.

Has anyone else seen goals that are attached to the ceiling like those in Cameron?

DukeFanSince1990
12-15-2009, 01:12 PM

From personl experience, there is not bad seat in Cameron. I have sat behind a goal, beside a beam and high in the corner. From every seat you can recognize players by face. Thats just my experience.

Indoor66
12-15-2009, 01:23 PM
The goal supports from the ceiling are rather unobtrusive when viewing a game. They were installed in a renovation done about 1977 while Bill Foster was coach. Those supports and the goal can be raised high into the roof area.

Prior to that they used movable uprights to support the goal. The old supports used to be stored in the west corners of Cameron. They continued to be used for intramurals. I don't know if they are still used today.

hurleyfor3
12-15-2009, 01:23 PM
Has anyone else seen goals that are attached to the ceiling like those in Cameron?

Maples Pavilion (Stanford) had them until a couple of years ago.

Azdukefan
12-15-2009, 02:14 PM
From personl experience, there is not bad seat in Cameron. I have sat behind a goal, beside a beam and high in the corner. From every seat you can recognize players by face. Thats just my experience.

That's good to hear. I got two tickets to UNC at Duke and wondered how good the seats are. Obviously they are good as they are in section 8 about halfway up. Boy, I can't wait (not a cheap set to say the least)!

UrinalCake
12-15-2009, 02:19 PM
I was at a game circa 1998 where during pregame warmups a Wake Forest player shattered one of the backboards. As a result, they raised the fixed goals and brought out the portable ones. It looked really unnatural, and reminded me that Cameron's distinctive style is truly unique.

As stated there is no such thing as an obstructed view in Cameron. The scoreboard is more of a visual distraction that the basket supports, and even that is not in the way at all. Hope you get to attend a game soon!

oldnavy
12-15-2009, 03:01 PM
I was at a game circa 1998 where during pregame warmups a Wake Forest player shattered one of the backboards. As a result, they raised the fixed goals and brought out the portable ones. It looked really unnatural, and reminded me that Cameron's distinctive style is truly unique.

As stated there is no such thing as an obstructed view in Cameron. The scoreboard is more of a visual distraction that the basket supports, and even that is not in the way at all. Hope you get to attend a game soon!

I was at that same game. It delayed the start of the game by about 30-45 mins IIRC. Do you remember who broke the basket?

natedog4ever
12-15-2009, 03:09 PM
I was at that same game. It delayed the start of the game by about 30-45 mins IIRC. Do you remember who broke the basket?

I was there as well.

According to Wake's football yearbook:
Ed Kargbookorogie – football player - played the 1998-99 season with the Wake Forest basketball team ... gained momentary fame when his dunk in pregame warm-ups shattered a Cameron Indoor Stadium glass backboard.

Regarding the basket supports, from personal experience, I would say they obscure "a little bit". But by the time that game starts, you will be oblivious.

DUKIECB
12-15-2009, 03:28 PM
If you are directly behind the basket, a few rows up in the upper level (above the brass rail) your view of the other end of the court is obstructed. The problem is the post that the actual backboard is attached to is fairly wide and is directly in your line of sight to the opposite side of the court. It's still not terrible but you definitely have to lean a little to one side or the other to see around the post. Other than that I don't know of a bad seat in the house.

JaMarcus Russell
12-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Ed Kargbookorogie

I am sure that dozens of college basketball announcers from the late '90s are thankful that he never became a star like Tim Duncan or Chris Paul :D

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-15-2009, 05:07 PM
While the style of goal is distinctive because of having the goals and backboards lowered from up above instead of being on some sort of standard set on the floor, it's also safer. Players can't run into the support which holds up the backboard.

Edouble
12-16-2009, 01:21 AM

I was worried Elton was going to break the portables that were brought in.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-16-2009, 07:45 AM
While the style of goal is distinctive because of having the goals and backboards lowered from up above instead of being on some sort of standard set on the floor, it's also safer. Players can't run into the support which holds up the backboard.
With the additional safety factor this affords, it is a wonder that other arenas don't have similar goals (where feasible, which isn't everywhere). Now, if only we could get all those TV cameras away from the endzones...

That being said, I once traded seats with another poster on the board, and I didn't like sitting behind the goal (~5 rows up, near dead center) as I found I "lost" much of the court area in front of the backboard and constantly had to lean one way or the other.

Duke4life92
12-16-2009, 08:18 AM

Same here,i have sat in about every different section there is over the years and it's truly a great experience(except for that 1 time many moons ago i got stuck in the crazie's section and was left standing the whole time :eek::).Just not a bad seat in the house that i have found but i guess there probably is a few.

calltheobvious
12-16-2009, 09:01 AM
I was there as well.

According to Wake's football yearbook:
Ed Kargbookorogie – football player - played the 1998-99 season with the Wake Forest basketball team ... gained momentary fame when his dunk in pregame warm-ups shattered a Cameron Indoor Stadium glass backboard.

Regarding the basket supports, from personal experience, I would say they obscure "a little bit". But by the time that game starts, you will be oblivious.

I, too, was at this one (1999). I managed to snag a piece of the glass as arena management were cleaning up the mess. It's one of my favorite pieces of sports memorabilia.

My favorite part of the story was what Chris Carrawell said after the game. When asked about what he thought about the whole thing, he said (paraphrasing):

"At first I was kinda mad. It's like when you were a kid, and someone comes over to your house and breaks one of your toys. But then I thought about it, and it was alright, because I never shot very well on that goal anyway."