PDA

View Full Version : Introduction (ignore if you wish)

J_C_Steel
12-15-2009, 10:15 AM
Having read this board for a while and now finally joined, I thought I would introduce myself.

http://thewestburys.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/88-andy-samberg-hi-fives-a-bobcat.jpg
(Not an actual photo.)

I hail from the great city of Pittsburgh, where I learned a good deal from my Pittsburgh cliché parents, a Catholic school teacher mother and steel worker (then social worker) father.

http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/pics/pgh/pittsburgh_std.jpg
(Actual photo.)

Specifically, I was taught the supreme importance of football (particularly Steeler football), the right way to drive in snow, the unappreciated dignity of a well-coiffured mullet, the correct pronunciations of the words "wash" and "downtown," and the fact that people from Cleveland and Baltimore (no matter how nice) can never be fully trusted.

After high school, I matriculated to Duke University and ran track, read some books, gave up on the whole "doctor" thing, studied abroad, watched a lot of excellent basketball, watched a lot of depressing football, met a large number of interesting people (with whom I mostly lost touch), and decided to forfeit what was left of my soul and go to law school in the not-so-great city of Philadelphia.

Following law school, which was far more enjoyable than one might think, I did the predictable thing and returned to the 'Burgh. Through work, I met a wonderful young lady (also an attorney) and did the next predictable thing -- marriage. Because my wife was from New Jersey and I was from Pittsburgh, we made the logical move to Virginia. Of course. Now we have a beautiful young son (nearly four months old) for whom we are attempting to save the approximately $2,348,000 that we believe it will cost to send him to Duke in 2027 (if that's where he would like to go).

From a sports standpoint, I love to both play and watch. As a fan, I've had an absolutely phenomenal year with the Steelers winning Super Bowl XLIII (which I attended with my over-excited mother) and the Penguins winning the Stanley Cup (which was a wonderful surprise). I'm hoping that some of that "City of Champions" fortune can rub off on the 2009-10 basketball team.

So hello and good day to all. I look forward to debating the merits of man-to-man defense and the importance of off-the-ball motion offense.

Johnboy
12-15-2009, 10:18 AM
Welcome!

The Gordog
12-15-2009, 10:23 AM
Having read this board for a while and now finally joined, I thought I would introduce myself.

http://thewestburys.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/88-andy-samberg-hi-fives-a-bobcat.jpg
(Not an actual photo.)

I hail from the great city of Pittsburgh, where I learned a good deal from my Pittsburgh cliché parents, a Catholic school teacher mother and steel worker (then social worker) father.

http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/pics/pgh/pittsburgh_std.jpg
(Actual photo.)

Specifically, I was taught the supreme importance of football (particularly Steeler football), the right way to drive in snow, the unappreciated dignity of a well-coiffured mullet, the correct pronunciations of the words "wash" and "downtown," and the fact that people from Cleveland and Baltimore (no matter how nice) can never be fully trusted.

After high school, I matriculated to Duke University and ran track, read some books, gave up on the whole "doctor" thing, studied abroad, watched a lot of excellent basketball, watched a lot of depressing football, met a large number of interesting people (with whom I mostly lost touch), and decided to forfeit what was left of my soul and go to law school in the not-so-great city of Philadelphia.

Following law school, which was far more enjoyable than one might think, I did the predictable thing and returned to the 'Burgh. Through work, I met a wonderful young lady (also an attorney) and did the next predictable thing -- marriage. Because my wife was from New Jersey and I was from Pittsburgh, we made the logical move to Virginia. Of course. Now we have a beautiful young son (nearly four months old) for whom we are attempting to save the approximately $2,348,000 that we believe it will cost to send him to Duke in 2027 (if that's where he would like to go).

From a sports standpoint, I love to both play and watch. As a fan, I've had an absolutely phenomenal year with the Steelers winning Super Bowl XLIII (which I attended with my over-excited mother) and the Penguins winning the Stanley Cup (which was a wonderful surprise). I'm hoping that some of that "City of Champions" fortune can rub off on the 2009-10 basketball team.

So hello and good day to all. I look forward to debating the merits of man-to-man defense and the importance of off-the-ball motion offense.

Welcome!

Nice picture of the 'Burgh. A friend of mine had his wedding reception in a Riverboat cruising around there a on a evening like the one pictured.

airowe
12-15-2009, 10:27 AM
Welcome to your new waste of time. Now get me a Primanti Brothers sandwich.

J_C_Steel
12-15-2009, 10:30 AM
Welcome to your new waste of time. Now get me a Primanti Brothers sandwich.

They are quite delicious... provided you have a big mouth. I do. So it works for me.

What's the key to a good P-Bros. sandwich? THE BREAD. It has to be fresh and warm. Boom.

roywhite
12-15-2009, 10:30 AM
Welcome to the board. Former "Burgher myself.

Go, Stillers. Go, Duke.

BlueDevilBaby
12-15-2009, 11:21 AM
Welcome to the Boards and Arlington. I've been a southside dweller for 20 years now.

calltheobvious
12-15-2009, 11:57 AM
This may be Pittsburgh heresy, but the only real non-weather-related disappointment I've experienced in my nearly two years here is in fact Primanti Bros. sandwiches: I've tried a couple of different ones, and they've both been incredibly bland.

That said, this is a truly wonderful place to live, and I feel fortunate to be here. It's not at all surprising to hear stories of how much the lifers here love their hometown.

Go Duke, and on to the Draft.

roywhite
12-15-2009, 12:15 PM
This may be Pittsburgh heresy, but the only real non-weather-related disappointment I've experienced in my nearly two years here is in fact Primanti Bros. sandwiches: I've tried a couple of different ones, and they've both been incredibly bland.

That said, this is a truly wonderful place to live, and I feel fortunate to be here. It's not at all surprising to hear stories of how much the lifers here love their hometown.

Go Duke, and on to the Draft.

You're not alone on the Primanti sandwiches. Always thought they were over-rated.

Plenty of good restaurants and taprooms around town. Mt. Washington is an awesome place to visit.

My old town, Oakmont, is where the US Open is often played at Oakmont CC. If you're out that way, check out Hofstot's Restaurant.

moonpie23
12-15-2009, 12:42 PM

(Not an actual photo.)

dood...welcome.......who's the guy in the tie you're high fiving?

juise
12-15-2009, 01:48 PM
dood...welcome.......who's the guy in the tie you're high fiving?

Whoa, the new guy knows Andy Samberg! Awesome.

gpokmd
12-15-2009, 11:16 PM
.......Even if ONLY from a 5 (soon to b 7 !) in a row-loser Squeeler fan !

"and the fact that people from Cleveland and Baltimore (no matter how nice) can never be fully trusted."

Don't know about Clevelanders , but I would CERTAINLY trust a person from Baltimore over one from Pittsburgh , ANYDAY !

What does any of this maniac's statements have to do with Duke Basketball anyway ?? From what I saw personally at the AFC Championship game last year, there's more class in Coach K's little finger than in the entire "Squeeler Nation" !:eek:

sdwGT2
12-16-2009, 12:35 AM
Lighten up, Frances.

elvis14
12-16-2009, 03:38 PM
JC Steel, welcome and thanks for the introduction, it was a good read.

gpokmd, did get lost on your way to a Md Terp board?

gpokmd
12-16-2009, 04:59 PM
JC Steel, welcome and thanks for the introduction, it was a good read.

gpokmd, did get lost on your way to a Md Terp board?

:D NOPE ! Class of 1975.......DUKE ! Rabid Crazie when there, never missed a game in 4 years......son raised as a Blue Devil and often beaten up on the school bus here in Twerpland......but now that he's 6'2" and a heckuva player himself, he does the beating on Twerpsfanz on the court ! :o

he has shot around in Cameron with every major Duke player this decade, with special bonds to Greg Paulus and Nolan.

Just can't let punk Squeeler pot shots go unanswered......their stadium is worse (amenities) than a college stadium, especially compared to M&T here in Baltimore. Team itself is filled with aging punks and prima donna QB, as shown by recent demise. Good riddance.

Pittsburgh itself is an engaging town - if they could get rid of the Squeelers Fans it would be even better !

we will be there for the final nail in the coffin on 12/27/09 .
GO RAVENZ !

J_C_Steel
12-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Just can't let punk Squeeler pot shots go unanswered......their stadium is worse (amenities) than a college stadium, especially compared to M&T here in Baltimore. Team itself is filled with aging punks and prima donna QB, as shown by recent demise. Good riddance.

Six Super Bowl titles. And our "prima donna QB" is a Mensa candidate compared to your uni-browed quarterback.

Despite the Steelers' recent struggles, I'm confident that the team has enough in the tank to ruin the Ravens' season YET AGAIN this year. We'll talk again on the 27th...