PDA

View Full Version : WBB: Duke Vs. Stanford

CameronBornAndBred
12-15-2009, 10:09 AM
It's a Duke basketball evening as the women take on Stanford out west at 10PM tonight. No tv, but it is carried on radio (ISP) and goduke's inside access. Should be a great test for the ladies against the number 2 team in the country. We beat # 3 (Ohio State) handily, but that was in Cameron. We beat Stanford last year in a nail biter, and I'm sure they haven't forgotten. I wonder if J.D. will be in attendance...

EDIT...This game just may be watchable for a fee. Stanford has a link to watch on their website, we'll find out at gametime I guess.
http://www.gostanford.com/sports/w-baskbl/sched/stan-w-baskbl-sched.html
The link is beneath the gametracker link.

Gargoyle
12-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Lindy Brown is reporting that the former Duke staff (Dawkins, Schrage and LaMere) will attend the game tonight.

According to this site, you can watch the game for free.

http://www.womenshoops.blogspot.com/

The CT Board has a prediction thread for the game. Consensus is Stanford by 20 or more.

Gargoyle
12-15-2009, 05:26 PM
has a preview of the game.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/duke/story/241401.html

CameronBornAndBred
12-15-2009, 06:53 PM
Lindy Brown is reporting that the former Duke staff (Dawkins, Schrage and LaMere) will attend the game tonight.

The CT Board has a prediction thread for the game. Consensus is Stanford by 20 or more.
Thanks very much! 20...I'd put money on that, that's really pressing your luck. IF we lose, it won't by more than 11.

calgirl
12-15-2009, 07:54 PM
This Cal Golden Bears fan is pulling for Duke WBB tonight on the Farm. Go Devils!

Mike Corey
12-15-2009, 08:05 PM
Very disappointing that this one won't be nationally televised.

CameronBornAndBred
12-15-2009, 08:30 PM
Very disappointing that this one won't be nationally televised.
Really is, and Ohio State was off the tube, too.

CameronBornAndBred
12-15-2009, 09:30 PM

Cool..it works! I already had a sign in for that site, the code gives you the game for free...just hit continue without selecting from the monthly option choice. Your total will be $0.00

zingit
12-15-2009, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the link to the video feed. I'm sooo tired and I have a really early start tomorrow, so I'm not sure how much I'll be able to watch, but I'll do my best! Haven't seen the women play yet this year. Go Duke!

Kedsy
12-15-2009, 10:27 PM
Man, if we could shoot we'd be killing them right now.

Duvall
12-15-2009, 10:42 PM
Thanks very much! 20...I'd put money on that, that's really pressing your luck. IF we lose, it won't by more than 11.

Probably best that you didn't put money on that.

CameronBornAndBred
12-15-2009, 10:57 PM
Probably best that you didn't put money on that.
Thinking same too..but we still have time. Jeez our shooting sux. That was our bane last year and I haven't seen much different.

DukeBlueNikeShox
12-15-2009, 11:24 PM
Duke is shooting 9-45 from the field....(but shooting 100% from the line). Stop shooting outside shots and get the ball in the paint!:confused:

-bdbd
12-15-2009, 11:28 PM
For those of us not watching, listening, can we get an update on score and status? Thx.

:confused:

zingit
12-15-2009, 11:38 PM
We were down by a lot at the half, but made a mini-run and are down 42-52 with 7:46 left in the 2nd half.

DukeBlueNikeShox
12-15-2009, 11:52 PM
* It was a 17-17 tie and then Stanford went on a 17-0 run.

* Karima Christmas got an intentional foul on Nneka Owigumike. Both players were going for the ball, and Nneka had both arms draped over Christmas. Karima bucked up, which sent Nneka, who did a great acting job, flying to the floor. The refs took time to go to the monitors to review the play, and decided to call intentional foul

* Duke had 10 fouls, Stanford had 1 (Joy had 3 fouls in the first half)

* Duke was shooting 9-45 from the field

* Duke's post play was a non-factor, and the guards weren't working hard enough to get good shots (no extra passes, no ball reversals, no high-low looks, no inside-out, no dump passes, etc)

Kewlswim
12-16-2009, 12:05 AM
Hi,

Listening to the announcers (Stanford students?) really frosted my petunias. They acted like Duke women were dirty players throwing "elbows" and also at half-time they acted like the game was already over. They went as far as to say the Stanford women were potentially so superior that Duke was not able to compete with them. Sheesh.

If Duke shot the ball at all they would have probably won this game. I guess Coach P has taught this team to play pretty good Big-10 offense and defense. It sure isn't pretty to watch. The announcers did (begrudgingly) admit that Duke did beat Stanford at Duke. Oh, but that was an ugly game like this one and Stanford had a bad night. Who is to say Duke didn't have a bad night tonight?

GO DUKE!

uh_no
12-16-2009, 12:29 AM
The announcers did (begrudgingly) admit that Duke did beat Stanford at Duke. Oh, but that was an ugly game like this one and Stanford had a bad night. Who is to say Duke didn't have a bad night tonight?

GO DUKE!

getting drubbed by their second ranked team in 2 tries says so

Kewlswim
12-16-2009, 12:41 AM
getting drubbed by their second ranked team in 2 tries says so

Hi,

I am not necessarily disagreeing (perhaps Stanford really is better and we lucked out last year), but wasn't Stanford ranked number 2 last year too? So, isn't it possible we had a bad night? Right now we are 1 and 1. Furthermore, the final score does not take into account that the Devils made it a game with about 7:00 minutes left. I can't remember exactly when, but I think they were within 6 points (maybe it was 8). The Devils shot horribly, I don't think the Cardinal can count on both that and the whistles all going their way next time.

I think it would be fun for the rubber match to be in the NCAA tournament when whistles won't be as quick and the Cardinal won't be in its own barn. Then again, if you are right it will all be bad if it happens.

GO DUKE!

uh_no
12-16-2009, 12:48 AM
Hi,

I am not necessarily disagreeing (perhaps Stanford really is better and we lucked out last year), but wasn't Stanford ranked number 2 last year too? So, isn't it possible we had a bad night? Right now we are 1 and 1. Furthermore, the final score does not take into account that the Devils made it a game with about 7:00 minutes left. I can't remember exactly when, but I think they were within 6 points (maybe it was 8). The Devils shot horribly, I don't think the Cardinal can count on both that and the whistles all going their way next time.

I think it would be fun for the rubber match to be in the NCAA tournament when whistles won't be as quick and the Cardinal won't be in its own barn. Then again, if you are right it will all be bad if it happens.

GO DUKE!

I mean I think both you and the commentators are both quite biased....I didn't see the game, but generally when you get disparities such as tonight, its when team fails to compete physically with another team. We'll know more as uconn plays both stanford and duke, and duke plays many more ranked teams this year. But I was following the score of the game today, and stanford seemed in control from that standpoint at every point following their run in the first half, also, don't bother comparing games across two years....different players, different teams....its a silly comparison, and quite meaningless especially since our best player graduated.....

Kewlswim
12-16-2009, 01:01 AM
I mean I think both you and the commentators are both quite biased....I didn't see the game, but generally when you get disparities such as tonight, its when team fails to compete physically with another team. We'll know more as uconn plays both stanford and duke, and duke plays many more ranked teams this year. But I was following the score of the game today, and stanford seemed in control from that standpoint at every point following their run in the first half, also, don't bother comparing games across two years....different players, different teams....its a silly comparison, and quite meaningless especially since our best player graduated.....

Hi,

You brought both games up. You wrote, "getting drubbed by their second ranked team in 2 tries says so" and that refers to both this game and last year. If one shouldn't consider any teams except the current one only being "drubbed" in this game should matter.

That being said, I do get your point. However, watching the game (this year) it sure seemed that Duke both couldn't hit the broadside of a barn and they were called for fouls disproportionately. Even the biased Stanford undergraduat announcers concurred with that. :D Hard to fight the other team and the zebras. Nevertheless, the game is over. As a famous men's basketball coach has taught us to think, "Next play." I would have preferred the first game after finals against, say, Santa Clara on the road before having to tackle Stanford. I thought we played USC right after finals, but now I am thinking this is the first game after finals. I think Stanford next plays Tennessee and then Connecticut. Quite a murderers row of teams. They might all be at Maples.

GO DUKE!

uh_no
12-16-2009, 01:08 AM
Hi,

You brought both games up. You wrote, "getting drubbed by their second ranked team in 2 tries says so" and that refers to both this game and last year. If one shouldn't consider any teams except the current one only being "drubbed" in this game should matter.

!

sorry if I was unclear, they lost to tx A&M by a large margin

but I had also forgotten about the huge win over OSU.....so what that says to me is that the team is inconsistent, which does not bode well when teams like uconn stanford and tennesse are running around spanking people left and right

but we'll know more as many of the top teams play eachother....too bad uconn and tennessee quit eachother

Kewlswim
12-16-2009, 02:16 AM
Hi,

I really wanted us to win this game. Yuck. Boo. Ick.

GO DUKE!

Jim3k
12-16-2009, 02:42 AM
OK. Here’s my report of the game, seen from the Stanford end zone, about 7 rows from the floor. Good seats? Not so much. The goal stanchion blocked part of my view. Other Blue Devil fans were scattered around. Tieguy was right in front of us.

The intentional foul was at the other end of the court, though near where the (very small) Duke contingent was. It should have been called as a double foul. Ogwumike was draped all over Christmas, but Karima over-reacted. Don't know why they called only Christmas. The call would not have changed the outcome of the game, but it did take some air out of the Devils. In the second half they cut the lead to 11 twice and 9 once, but Stanford simply stepped on the gas again.

First, let me say that Stanford deserves its ranking. This team is very, very big – both tall and wide. Their zone was a real problem for Duke’s smaller people. Appel and Pederson are big girls and they and Ogwumike owned the front line defensively. Our girls just don’t have such big bodies. Allison Vernerey ands Krystal Thomas held their own on the rebound front, but really, when Appel and Pederson begin backing them down, they had no real stopping capability. Our girls were better leapers and did a wonderful job winning the battle of the boards. But unless they can shoot better, the result will always be the same

Vernerey is going to be really good. She didn’t back down, though she was outmuscled. She’s only a freshman and will get much better. She’s a ferocious rebounder. But neither she nor Krystal could put the ball in the hole. Krystal needs to become more aggressive in her offense. She did hit 3 of 4, but she should be taking 10 or 12. She had one bank shot from the baseline that was so strong it bounced across the backboard and went about 15 feet to a Cardinal rebounder.

As a result of their size, our girls had difficulty along the baseline and in the paint. Jasmine tried to attack the basket regularly, was fouled regularly, but could not get the calls and did not shoot well enough to score inside.

Much of her problem was the way the game was refereed. Neither team benefited from traditional hacking fouls. The refs just swallowed their whistles on such plays. Instead they called some ticky tacky position fouls.

The foul differential was Duke 23 and Stanford 11. This allowed for Stanford to score 19 points from the FT line. I don’t think Duke adjusted well to the way the game was called. Instead, the team went on a very aggressive effort which resulted in even more fouls.

It’s hard for me to say that Stanford is really 16 points better, though that is the winning margin. What the stats tell me is that Duke made 74 FG attempts while Stanford shot only 49. Many of our attempts came on failed putbacks. Was that due to Stanford or just bad shooting? I tend to think the latter because of our rebounding. We got shots off (hastily) but more should have fallen than did.

In addition, there was way too much dribbling – particularly upon receiving a pass. That allowed the defense to close when good shots were available. On one occasion Selby (I think) got a pass in the corner – faked a shot, bounced it and then shot – only to have it slammed back at her. Had she just shot it on receipt of the pass, it would have been a good shot to take. She was not alone. Even Jasmine was dribbling way too much.

Anyway, my assessment is that we just didn’t play very well. I’m not sure Stanford did either, but they certainly have horses that we can’t provide.

However, Stanford’s next game at Maples is Tennessee. If you’re betting, take Stanford by a bunch.

CameronBornAndBred
12-16-2009, 07:05 AM
It is so hard to watch all of the wasted opportunities we have under the basket. I was hoping we had gotten better since last year, but we haven't. Offensive rebounds only matter if they are turned into points, and time and time again we missed from 5 feet and closer. Very frustrating.

miramar
12-16-2009, 09:40 AM
In the previous four games Duke had shot 45.7, 52.5, 50, and 40%, but in this game it was only 28.4%. Ouch.

Kedsy
12-16-2009, 09:40 AM
Listening to the announcers (Stanford students?) really frosted my petunias.

I ultimately had to turn the sound off because the announcers were so awful.

In the early going, I thought we completely outplayed them. It was 17-17 and we should have been winning by at least 27-17 (if we'd made, I don't know, half of our easy and uncontested shots?). And if that had been the case it would have been an entirely different game.

The latter part of Stanford's big run seemed to come because our team got discouraged and panicked a bit, but I don't think it would have happened quite so badly if the run had only tied the game instead of putting Stanford up ten. But between getting down by 17 and the disparity in the foul calls, the game was pretty much over at that point.

Stanford is good, but I'm with those who say they are not 16 points better than Duke.

CameronBornAndBred
12-16-2009, 12:50 PM
I ultimately had to turn the sound off because the announcers were so awful.

The guy was tolerable, the girl was insufferable. Her favorite word was "Uhhhhh". I tuned into Duke's broadcast hoping they would be in synch, but no luck. Dead air would have been more pleasant to listen to.