PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Gardner-Webb @ Duke pre-game and in-game thread

BlueintheFace
12-13-2009, 06:31 PM
The Runnin Bulldogs are 3-4. They started out 3-0 but have since lost to UNC, Western Carolina, UNC Asheville, and Charlotte. Presumably they are looking to get the entire North Carolina set.

Senior Guard Grayson Flittner is their only player averaging over 10ppg. 11 players average ~10mpg or better. Not much size on the roster except for a little used 6'11" 275lb australian.

Look for the Plumlees to see lots of minutes and "develop" ;)

ScreechTDX1847
12-13-2009, 07:10 PM
It will be interesting to see how Andre's "return" will play out after that horrible tragedy. I wish the kid the best.

Saratoga2
12-13-2009, 07:31 PM
I wonder what the Duke history is when returning from midyear exams. Do we generally schedule an easier game to get the guys back playing together after a long (10 day) layoff?

jipops
12-13-2009, 11:27 PM
It will be interesting to see how our guys start out. I would imagine everyone's normal schedule has been altered due to exams and Dawkins' family tragedy. So much is established by routine which I'd guess is why we don't usually see a well played game by Duke around exam time. I don't really know if we'll get very much insight on where this team is from this game. I'm just hoping everyone remains healthy.

FireOgilvie
12-13-2009, 11:47 PM
Look for the Plumlees to see lots of minutes and "develop" ;)

I really hope to see a lot of Mason. In two games, he only played 17 minutes total. He's had another week to recover from his injury/work on his game, so I'm guessing he'll look a bit better and get more time.

I also want to see more of Miles, Ryan Kelly, and hopefully Olek for 10 minutes (which means we're blowing them out).

I'm hoping Dawkins has a big night as well; a nice 16 point game to lift his spirits.

Wander
12-14-2009, 12:30 AM
Sometimes we complain about taking this long off from an actual game, but in this particular season the break couldn't have come at a better time. The week plus off followed by an easy opponent at home is exactly what we needed with Mason just starting to come back and the Dawkins tragedy. Really good timing here.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-14-2009, 08:13 AM
I wonder what the Duke history is when returning from midyear exams. Do we generally schedule an easier game to get the guys back playing together after a long (10 day) layoff?
Yes. A game to knock any rust off. We sometimes see a rough start and then a blow out after the kinks get worked out.

It will be interesting to see how our guys start out. I would imagine everyone's normal schedule has been altered due to exams and Dawkins' family tragedy. So much is established by routine which I'd guess is why we don't usually see a well played game by Duke around exam time. I don't really know if we'll get very much insight on where this team is from this game. I'm just hoping everyone remains healthy.
At Friday's BDC luncheon, when Coach K gave us the details that Bill Brill posted about earlier, he asked that everyone be sure to give Andre a big standing ovation when he enters the game. I think it would have happened naturally without being asked, but he has asked.

davekay1971
12-14-2009, 11:02 AM
I just hope that if any of those Gardner-Webb fans shout really heinous things like "don't miss" at our players, Coach K does the appropriate thing and has them thrown right out of Cameron! We have to protect our kids!

Tim1515
12-14-2009, 12:03 PM
I hope we have an off night shooting in a win...saving the outside shots for Gonzaga...we will need them to fall.

YourLandlord
12-14-2009, 12:12 PM
I hope we have an off night shooting in a win...saving the outside shots for Gonzaga...we will need them to fall.

Of course, there is no such thing as "saving shots" for a later game.

geraldsneighbor
12-14-2009, 12:20 PM
I'd like to see a nice little 100-65 type game with the Devils coming out on top. I want to see them get in rhythm for Saturday's big game. It will definitely be an emotional moment wet Andre checks in... CIS will let the kid know he is loved. I just hope he can keep his emotions in check because I know it'll be very difficult.

roywhite
12-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Is everybody ready for some hoops.....or what??

The 10-day break from St. John's to G-W is the longest of the season. Welcome back, Andre, can't wait to see Mason with more minutes...Go, Duke!

ddsdevil
12-14-2009, 12:47 PM
I hope the Plumlees and Kelly get some pt and gain confidence tomorrow. We will need a post game to beat Gonzaga.

jipops
12-14-2009, 01:03 PM

The 10-day break from St. John's to G-W is the longest of the season. Welcome back, Andre, can't wait to see Mason with more minutes...Go, Duke!

Lord yes, I feel like I've been in a desert for the last week. The other college games have been entertaining but I'm so ready to see my team in action. I'm really looking forward to seeing Mason in this one now that he claims he is 100%. I guess this means the cast is off?

amyindurham
12-14-2009, 02:05 PM
I've been trying to think of ways to show love to Andre for tomorrow's game. Is a "We love you, Andre!" sign appropriate? Just don't want to make him feel uncomfortable or anything.

Indoor66
12-14-2009, 02:29 PM
I've been trying to think of ways to show love to Andre for tomorrow's game. Is a "We love you, Andre!" sign appropriate? Just don't want to make him feel uncomfortable or anything.

In my opinion, greet him loudly, greet him enthusiastically and greet him long. I doubt he is wishing to be reminded of anything, only accepted and encouraged.

mgtr
12-14-2009, 03:29 PM
In my opinion, greet him loudly, greet him enthusiastically and greet him long. I doubt he is wishing to be reminded of anything, only accepted and encouraged.

Very well said!

lifelongdevil
12-14-2009, 06:46 PM
from @chroniclesports

Kyle Singler is questionable for tomorrow (ankle). Nolan Smith (knee) + Brian Zoubek (bruised hip) are probable despite lingering injuries.

Bluedevil114
12-14-2009, 07:14 PM
I cant wait to get down to Durham tomorrow. I will be making my way from Maryland for the game tomorrow. I usually make two games a year and hit all the local games near me. I am one of the few at Comcast Center watching the Terps go down to Duke every year while getting yelled every name in the book. Much like JJ a few years ago. Favorite game there was at Cole Field House for the one minute game starring Jason Williams and Shane Battier. I also have tickets to Duke/Georgetown and Duke at Virginia. This is my first look live at Duke and love every opportunity to go to Cameron even if it is Gardner Webb Running Bulldogs. GO DUKE!!

BlueintheFace
12-14-2009, 08:01 PM
from @chroniclesports

Kyle Singler is questionable for tomorrow (ankle). Nolan Smith (knee) + Brian Zoubek (bruised hip) are probable despite lingering injuries.

Good to know. GW is not a quality team to be honest and if Kyle is injured, let him sit.

Hermy-own
12-14-2009, 09:57 PM
I really hope that Andre plays decent minutes and feels comfortable in his return. For the plumlees, it is a bit disappointing that we aren't facing anyone with decent height, but maybe a confidence booster would be OK as well.

I would be fine with Kyle not playing. More time for Andre and Mason and Miles. I'm looking forward to a blowout game.

mgtr
12-14-2009, 11:03 PM
I'm looking forward to a blowout game.

Hopefully Coach K is not. That kind of thinking sometimes leads to weird upsets. Probably not here, however.

flyingdutchdevil
12-15-2009, 05:02 AM
Anyone know the extent to which Kyle or Nolan are injured? Major / minor sprain? What happened to the knee?

Btw - is this Nolan's third knee injury in three years? That's some pretty bad luck...

mgtr
12-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Haven't seen any mention that, while Gardner-Webb sort of came from nowhere, at one time they had a pretty good player who made it into the NBA. Hint: Perhaps he was best known for his hair.

Indoor66
12-15-2009, 09:42 AM
Haven't seen any mention that, while Gardner-Webb sort of came from nowhere, at one time they had a pretty good player who made it into the NBA. Hint: Perhaps he was best known for his hair.

You mean Artis Gilmore who then went to Jacksonville?

MChambers
12-15-2009, 09:49 AM

I grew up in Jacksonville, and went to several games while Gilmore was there. Man, what a shotblocker!

Tim1515
12-15-2009, 10:42 AM
So apparently Smith (knee) and Zoubek (not sure) are probable and Singler (ankle) is questionable for this game...

mgtr
12-15-2009, 12:49 PM

Exactly! A "towering" figure, at least with that hair. Pretty fair athlete, too.

BlueintheFace
12-15-2009, 01:25 PM
The team AVERAGES 21 turnovers/game.

HCheek37
12-15-2009, 01:55 PM
vegas has us as 34.5 point favorites.....should be interesting to see how it plays out after a 10 day break, kyle's ankle, etc...

hopefully the crowd gives Andre a huge standing ovation and a good moment of silence before the game

phaedrus
12-15-2009, 01:59 PM
The team AVERAGES 21 turnovers/game.

Wow, that's more than John Wall.

BlueintheFace
12-15-2009, 02:20 PM
Just a reminder people: This will likely be one of Duke's three weakest opponents of the season (if not THE weakest). If Player X has a good game, lets not start calling him an All-ACC candidate.

Should be fun though.... :)

superdave
12-15-2009, 03:07 PM
Wow, that's more than John Wall.

Nice!

Something has been missing from my life the past week. Let's play ball! Let's get the defense working and force GW into 42 TO's!

Olympic Fan
12-15-2009, 03:34 PM

Actually, the layoff merely matches the longest layoff of the season. After our game Saturday against Gonzaga in the Garden, Duke takes another 10-day layoff before a Dec. 29 game against Long Beach State in Cameron. After that, no more than a four-day gap the rest of the way.

And BTW, Artis Gilmore is not the only famous alum of Gardner-Webb (he played there when it was a junior college ... then finished out his collegiate career at Jacksonville). They also sent forward John Drew (as far as I know, no relation to the Larry Drew I and II that have a connection to that glorified high school justr outside of town) to the NBA.

NSDukeFan
12-15-2009, 04:41 PM
Just a reminder people: This will likely be one of Duke's three weakest opponents of the season (if not THE weakest). If Player X has a good game, lets not start calling him an All-ACC candidate.

Should be fun though.... :)

Who are you calling not an All-ACC candidate? No matter what happens tonight, I still hope Player X will be an all-acc candidate. :p

ChicagoCrazy84
12-15-2009, 05:14 PM
Anyone know the extent to which Kyle or Nolan are injured? Major / minor sprain? What happened to the knee?

Btw - is this Nolan's third knee injury in three years? That's some pretty bad luck...

Bad luck? Seriously? Talk to Jamal Mashburn, Allan Houston, or ME about bad luck. I've had 3 surgeries on my right knee and have my 4th scheduled for January 23rd to re-reconstruct my ACL. I'm only 25!!!

dukelifer
12-15-2009, 06:41 PM
Who are you calling not an All-ACC candidate? No matter what happens tonight, I still hope Player X will be an all-acc candidate. :p

With Singler out- we will need someone else to step up-regardless of GW's record. They will be playing hard.

geraldsneighbor
12-15-2009, 06:57 PM
Let's Go Duke! It feels good to have a game to watch finally. Those 10 days felt like years...

jpfrizzle
12-15-2009, 07:06 PM
Lets go DUKE!! Play some good D!!

cbfx3
12-15-2009, 07:13 PM
The Plumlee brothers have good hands!

superdave
12-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Why dont we drive the lane and feed the post? We know we can hit threes, let's work on something that needs work!

NovaScotian
12-15-2009, 07:36 PM
wow, jon jon is playing as perfect a game as possible right now.

geraldsneighbor
12-15-2009, 07:44 PM
I think Jon Scheyer is better than "player x." :)

SupaDave
12-15-2009, 07:49 PM
Kyle and Jon are working very well together on their perimeter defense.

FireOgilvie
12-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Great game so far except we're somehow being outrebounded 16-11 (according to ESPN). Weird.

juise
12-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Until that last miss, Jon's first half line reminded me a little of Laettner's line against Kentucky in the '92 regional final. Of course, Gardner-Webb is no Kentucky... they beat the 'Cats by 16 last time they played. :)

juise
12-15-2009, 07:54 PM
Great game so far except we're somehow being outrebounded 16-11 (according to ESPN). Weird.

Yeah, we're losing 7-2 on the offensive glass. Turnovers are good, though. :)

BlueintheFace
12-15-2009, 07:55 PM
Why dont we drive the lane and feed the post? We know we can hit threes, let's work on something that needs work!

what are you talking about? We went to the post on 4 consecutive possessions at one point (two turnovers), and looked for the post feed a whole lot more. The problem is that our big men really really struggle to get and maintain position in the post.

Additionally, Nolan has driven the ball almost exclusively and Kyle has driven a time or two as well but kicked because the play wasn't there (smart).

BlueintheFace
12-15-2009, 07:56 PM
Jon needs 5 rebounds and 5 assists to get a triple double.

riverside6
12-15-2009, 07:59 PM
you check out the live tempo-based stats for the game here:

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHdGame.asp?hSchedule=3694

Shooting 60% (eFG of 71%) can cover a lot of things, including the fact that Duke is getting killed on the boards.

superdave
12-15-2009, 08:02 PM
what are you talking about? We went to the post on 4 consecutive possessions at one point (two turnovers), and looked for the post feed a whole lot more. The problem is that our big men really really struggle to get and maintain position in the post.

Additionally, Nolan has driven the ball almost exclusively and Kyle has driven a time or two as well but kicked because the play wasn't there (smart).

Yeah I know but I'd like to just feed and feed and feed the post against smaller teams. We're gonna need some post buckets later this year, so might as well learn how to get them now.

FireOgilvie
12-15-2009, 08:20 PM
New career high for Scheyer! 31 so far.

NovaScotian
12-15-2009, 08:21 PM
New career high for Scheyer! 31 so far.

he's been able to turn just 11 shots into 31 points - it's a hanukkah miracle!

Daniel tosh
12-15-2009, 08:26 PM
What a pass by scheyer!He's having a great night

CameronBornAndBred
12-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Jon's behind the back pass was one of the sickest plays I've seen EVER.

SupaDave
12-15-2009, 08:35 PM
Lance with the long jumper!!!!

Jderf
12-15-2009, 08:38 PM
I wish Nolan wasn't forcing up awkward shots against Gardner-Webb. He can be explosive but he can also work on consistently making better decisions, maybe feeding his teammates more too.

loran16
12-15-2009, 08:41 PM
You know, i love how well we're doing. But, unless Mason truely is still hurt, and he claims to be 100%, i wonder why on earth he and Miles aren't in in favor of Zoubek and Lance.

Zoo and Lance are KNOWN factors. Yes, they can dominate smaller teams. WE KNOW THAT. But wouldn't we like to see what the Plumlees can do? I mean seriously, cmon, throw us a bone K. If Mason is that good, why isn't he in.

CameronBornAndBred
12-15-2009, 08:43 PM
Thank You Jon!!!!!!!!!!!!

IBleedBlue
12-15-2009, 08:43 PM
Why are we playing singler so many minutes in this blow out?

CameronBornAndBred
12-15-2009, 08:44 PM
This game won't have much to do in the long run of our season, but if you missed this game you missed so much. Find someone with a DVR and watch it again. Gardner-Webb is a good team and played very well in Cameron. It won't surprise me to see them in the tourney.

soccerstud2210
12-15-2009, 08:45 PM
does anyone just despise len elmore like i do???? that guy is freaking joke! so is patrick too. im about to kill myself listening to those two! holy frick!

Hermy-own
12-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Yeah, no clue why Zoub and Singler are in so much. Nice job by Lance with those jumpers - if that becomes a consistent threat, it makes us a bit more dangerous.

WELL DONE JON. CONGRATULATIONS!

Oriole Way
12-15-2009, 08:48 PM
Missed the game... what was the reception for Andre Dawkins like?

lpd1982
12-15-2009, 08:49 PM
does anyone just despise len elmore like i do???? that guy is freaking joke! so is patrick too. im about to kill myself listening to those two! holy frick!

I actually think Elmore has been more complimentary toward our players and program tonight than he has every been.

FireOgilvie
12-15-2009, 08:52 PM
This game won't have much to do in the long run of our season, but if you missed this game you missed so much. Find someone with a DVR and watch it again. Gardner-Webb is a good team and played very well in Cameron. It won't surprise me to see them in the tourney.

There is no way they make the tournament. They're 0-4 against D1 teams this year and they play in a fairly tough conference.

FireOgilvie
12-15-2009, 08:53 PM
I'm hoping Dawkins has a big night as well; a nice 16 point game to lift his spirits.

Nice call. ;)

soccerstud2210
12-15-2009, 08:54 PM
I actually think Elmore has been more complimentary toward our players and program tonight than he has every been.

hahaha which is not saying much at all. :)

SupaDave
12-15-2009, 08:54 PM
Why are we playing singler so many minutes in this blow out?

Singler has to get used to guarding young quick guards...

soccerstud2210
12-15-2009, 08:55 PM
does anyone know if the crazies or duke did anything for dawkins before the game or anything? i know someone had said something about a moment of silence or something like that. anyone there know?

IBleedBlue
12-15-2009, 08:56 PM
If Dawkins becomes a starter by next season, I am hoping he could break the all time acc and ncaa scoring records and keep them safely in the dark blue colors...