PDA

View Full Version : Home Computer recommendations

Devildog
05-02-2007, 04:48 PM
I am sure someone here can give me their thoughts on a solid entry level desktop whose primary functions would be email, photo storage, ipod, and burning DVD's. As its predecessor is on Fred Flintstone's level, anything is an improvment. Thanks for any pointers.

Clipsfan
05-02-2007, 05:04 PM
http://www.techbargains.com/ often has good deals on entry level systems (most of them Dells). Through the use of coupons or by taking advantage of certain short-term sales (Dell always has some sort of sale) you should be able to get what you're looking for fairly cheaply.

-jk
05-02-2007, 05:40 PM
When you say burning DVDs, do you mean home movies, or making, um, "backup" copies of your DVD movies and making data DVDs?

If the former, get a Mac.

If the latter, go to Dell and get a basic machine with a gig of RAM and a dvd burner (one that supports both + and - is easier). Generally, pretty much any new machine will do what you want. If you're iffy with tech, get a three year warranty.

If you're into gaming, there's no easy answer.

-jk

DevilAlumna
05-02-2007, 07:25 PM
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1554 (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1554)

You might want to check out an earlier discussion on this topic.

If you look for a Dell, be sure to buy from the "business" side of the selection, as opposed to the home/consumer side. The quality of the home/consumer machines, particularly laptops, is el-sucko these days.

tecumseh
05-02-2007, 08:04 PM
First question is mac v microsoft and this almost like asking do you like Carolina basketball or Duke basketball, kind of a religion and point of view.

I have run both systems for years and would advise you to buy a iMac.
There are plenty of good reviews on the net.
http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20070419/new-pc-hassles/

I just bought an IMac 24 inch and love it you sound like a nontechie therefore I would take Mossberg's advice and buy and iMac you won't be sorry.

Clipsfan
05-02-2007, 09:36 PM
I have always used Windows machines, but Macs work just fine. However, if you're looking to do it fairly cheaply, I did put together a Dell with a gig of RAM, 160 GB HD, a decent processor, a 16X DVD-R and normal other specs for around $500. That was including a 17" LCD. It's not super cheap, but it's not all that expensive. It won't play the newest games, though.

willywoody
05-02-2007, 10:18 PM
$500 seems super cheap to me for that spread. man, i'm gettin' old.

Devildog
05-03-2007, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the tips.

Dukiedevil
05-03-2007, 12:11 PM
Also check out www.slickdeals.net. They have deals posted on computers almost daily.

OZZIE4DUKE
05-03-2007, 12:18 PM
Everything I own is Windows based, but I expect that when I replace my laptop it will be with a Mac. My daughter has an iBook that she bought in December 2005 and she just loves it. And the Mac commercials comparing the OSX operating system to the Windows Vista system have me quaking in my boots about Vista. :D

bird
05-04-2007, 12:00 PM
I feel trapped by Windows due to the need to be compatible with work (pure Windows). Also, I have a huge amount of digital photos in pdf format on my Windows machine, and I worry that they wouldn't move over seemlessly. Any observations out there about compatability problems? I am attracted by Mac's reputation for ease and power of use in multimedia applications.

-jk
05-04-2007, 01:50 PM
PDFs are about as transparent as it gets.

So long as the applications exist on both platforms and you're not doing presentation type work, Windows and Macs are remarkably easy to move documents between.

The biggest headache is remembering which file extensions to put on which files on the Mac as Macs generally don't use 'em.

Also, if work alows VPNs, Remote Desktop and the like, stick with Windows.

If work is an Exchange shop, Entourage is not as flexible as Outlook; if you use Web Access for email, it's not a problem. The rest of Office standard is pretty much the same. Beyond that with MS Office, all bets are off.

-jk

DukeUsul
05-05-2007, 06:39 PM
I've been a windows and linux user my whole life. My next box will definitely be a mac. The stability of the mac's bsd-unix-based OS, plus the ease of use. Couple that with the fact that you can now dual-boot Mac and Windows OS's or run them side-by-side in a VM on the Mac-Intel architecture...... it's about as good as it gets.

BluBones
05-07-2007, 11:42 AM
I use Macs, XP and Vista machines. With my next computer purchase I'll go Mac-only. For those times when a Mac is a pain (accessing MS Exchange or .asp web sites) I'll have a Parallels window on the Mac fired up running Vista. It's the best of both worlds.

MarineTwinsDad
05-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Currently I use Windows XP at work and Mac OS-X at home. As a long time Mac user (1989), with humble beginnings on Dec, CP/M, and even the Radio Shack Model 100, I have to say I've begun to prefer the Windows environment. Perhaps it's the double screens my work provides, but for ease of use in document manipulation (all Office products), Windows XP is better. I personally believe that Microsoft simply refused to port everything over because, after all, they are competitors with the Mac. Word, especially, is a whole lot better in XP. However, we won't be going Vista for awhile, so I don't know how that will go.

It is true that with graphic applications, if that is your need, MAC without a doubt has more solutions. The interface can be simpler, also, for a number of reasons. One amazing discovery I made was that I can use a remote desktop connection on my Mac (G5) at home to run programs off my Windows computers at work. I had originally bought the Soft-PC (way to slow), but the remote desktop software runs the programs at nearly the same speed as when I'm at work.

In the past I've been in many wars over these issues, usually coming down on the Mac side. But I'm really rethinking all that (especially since Windows has more games).

rsvman
05-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Get a Mac and never look back.

I dumped a Dell for a Mac mini about 8 months ago. Wow. What a difference.

If you want to play games, buy a game system. We have a Wii. It's a lot of fun.