PDA

View Full Version : I'm Official!!!

dukebsbll14
12-10-2009, 07:05 PM
First of all, I'm sorry if I am breaking any rules or anything, I'm just really really excited and wanted to share this with my fellow Dukies.

I am officially part of the Duke Class of 2014!! I thought it would be appropriate to share this with a community who, like me, has such a deep, burning passion for everything Duke. Since becoming a member of the DBR forums, I haven't posted much: I usually just read what others are saying and occiasionally I'll add my 2 cents. I look forward to pursuing my degree in engineering as well as being one of the loudest, craziest fans on the court (plus, since I have seen a game from the student section, I hopefully can jump right into it.) beginning in August.

Again, if I'm breaking any rules, I'm sorry, you can delete this post. I'm just so thrilled to finally, after 5 years of calling my "home away from home", call Duke my home.

GO DUKE!!!!!!!

DukieBoy
12-10-2009, 07:06 PM
First of all, I'm sorry if I am breaking any rules or anything, I'm just really really excited and wanted to share this with my fellow Dukies.

I am officially part of the Duke Class of 2014!! I thought it would be appropriate to share this with a community who, like me, has such a deep, burning passion for everything Duke. Since becoming a member of the DBR forums, I haven't posted much: I usually just read what others are saying and occiasionally I'll add my 2 cents. I look forward to pursuing my degree in engineering as well as being one of the loudest, craziest fans on the court (plus, since I have seen a game from the student section, I hopefully can jump right into it.) beginning in August.

Again, if I'm breaking any rules, I'm sorry, you can delete this post. I'm just so thrilled to finally, after 5 years of calling my "home away from home", call Duke my home.

GO DUKE!!!!!!!

Congrats. Would have loved to go Duke if not for the distance

DukePA
12-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Congratulations!!!

GO DUKE!!!

RainingThrees
12-10-2009, 07:08 PM

GO DUKE!!!!!!!

Congrats! I wish I could be in your position and I hope to transfer to Duke in the future. I hopefully I will see you around in a couple years in the student section.

allenmurray
12-10-2009, 07:09 PM
If anyone deletes this post I think we should turn Nate James loose on them! Great job!

weezie
12-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Great news! I remember crying with happiness a few hundred years ago when I got in and then crying with pride when my daughter got in not so very long ago.

Congrats to your parents for raising such a bright young person!!!!

dukebsbll14
12-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Great news! I remember crying with happiness a few hundred years ago when I got in and then crying with pride when my daughter got in not so very long ago.

Congrats to your parents for raising such a bright young person!!!!

This is the second! My sister graduated last year!! I called by Dad up right after and was like, "haha you're never going to retire" :)

DukeUsul
12-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Congratulations!!!!!!

This is a great thread to collect congrats for new admits. ED candidates are finding out tonight.

FreezingDevil
12-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Congratulations! Its a real testament to you and your family. The day I got into Duke was one of the greatest days of my life, so I imagine you feel the same way. We'll see you in Cameron in 2010!

dukebsbll14
12-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Congratulations! Its a real testament to you and your family. The day I got into Duke was one of the greatest days of my life, so I imagine you feel the same way. We'll see you in Cameron in 2010!

Thank you guys so much!! There's a lot of love on these forums. I'm trying to convince my parents to let me go to either the long beach state or Penn game, most likely trying to sneak into the crazie section (except now they'll be looking for me.). I'll be seeing a lot of games there in the next four years to not a big deal:)

bluebear
12-10-2009, 07:52 PM
Congrats!!!..I still remember the day that I got my acceptance letter...Duke also had a VERY big win on the court that night...

PumpkinFunk
12-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Congratulations! I remember the day I got my acceptance letter 2 and a half years ago, and how exciting it was for me. See you in Cameron next year!

Native
12-10-2009, 08:13 PM
Congrats! Wish me luck when I apply next year!

lpd1982
12-10-2009, 08:18 PM
CONGRATS! And welcome. You are joining a group you will be part of your whole life. Touch base with the line monitors when you attend that game and mention DBR. The fix is in for you to sit in the Crazie section. Go Duke.

wallyman
12-10-2009, 08:31 PM
I can dimly remember when I got in many years ago, but I certainly remember when my son did a few years back, and I've never seen him happier. There was a huge early decision pool this year, so you should be very proud.

Welcome2DaSlopes
12-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Great news!!!! Good Luck.

Lord Ash
12-10-2009, 08:40 PM
Congrats, and enjoy; my four years at Duke were four of the best years of my life.

YourLandlord
12-10-2009, 08:52 PM
CONGRATS! And welcome. You are joining a group you will be part of your whole life. Touch base with the line monitors when you attend that game and mention DBR. The fix is in for you to sit in the Crazie section. Go Duke.

Ah yes, the Duke Basketball Line Monitors -- the epitome of early stage corruption. :rolleyes:

blazindw
12-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Ah yes, the Duke Basketball Line Monitors -- the epitome of early stage corruption. :rolleyes:

Hey, watch it there buddy!

I echo everyone else's sentiments in congratulating you on your acceptance. It is indeed a wonderful moment, and you're about to have a lot of fun AND get the best education possible!

BlueintheFace
12-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Cheer loud and go to EVERY GAME you can. Its only a few hours every week, but some of the memories made in that building will last far longer than memories of your grades and most of the parties you go to at Duke.

VaDukie
12-10-2009, 09:32 PM
Congratulations, the four best years of your life await you!

SilkyJ
12-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Cheer loud and go to EVERY GAME you can. Its only a few hours every week, but some of the memories made in that building will last far longer than memories of your grades and most of the parties you go to at Duke.

Uh-greed. I missed 11 games in my 4 years and one of them was Dockery's VA Tech buzzer beater, which I always regret having missed...

Anyways, congrats! I remember calling into the admissions office on Dec. 14th 2001 and finding out and that was one of the best days of my life. Go Duke!

Mike Corey
12-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Congratulations!

gep
12-10-2009, 09:52 PM
From me too... CONGRATULATIONS!!!

hurleyfor3
12-10-2009, 09:52 PM
BTW, how do they do this now? In the good old days of 1988 it was the fat envelope/thin envelope thing (although Dartmouth in particular was tricky about this). Do you go to online now to find out? Is there a specific time when when you know to check and the Web site gets bombarded like when Cubs tickets go on sale every February? Do they E-mail it to you? Do they friend you on Facebook or use the Twitter?

YourLandlord
12-10-2009, 10:05 PM
BTW, how do they do this now? In the good old days of 1988 it was the fat envelope/thin envelope thing (although Dartmouth in particular was tricky about this). Do you go to online now to find out? Is there a specific time when when you know to check and the Web site gets bombarded like when Cubs tickets go on sale every February? Do they E-mail it to you? Do they friend you on Facebook or use the Twitter?

Google Wave.

DukeDevilDeb
12-10-2009, 10:13 PM

GO DUKE!!!!!!!

This is wonderful news! I sure hope I get to have you as a student. With this enthusiasm, you'll go far!

Go New Devil!:)

sue71, esq
12-10-2009, 11:04 PM
Congratulations!!! This is most definitely on topic!

CameronBornAndBred
12-10-2009, 11:09 PM
Congrats...another DBR poster, Cell-R, found out today he will be one of your classmates. Get your peeps together and make sure you go to football games!:D

91devil
12-10-2009, 11:19 PM
Congrats, and enjoy; my four years at Duke were four of the best years of my life.

I echo these sentiments. The day I found out I was accepted into Duke ranks as one of the best of my life. Certainly my decision to attend Duke was the best one I've ever made (though, to be, fair, the admissions department had a large say in that happening).

Congratulations, and Good Luck!

devildeac
12-10-2009, 11:21 PM

I think he probably "skyped" the admissions office...:o:rolleyes:

A hearty congrats!

OZZIE4DUKE
12-10-2009, 11:24 PM
Congrats...another DBR poster, Cell-R, found out today he will be one of your classmates. Get your peeps together and make sure you go to football games!:D
Congratulations! Do you know Cell-R/Rolvix? I'm sure you will next year!

Ima Facultiwyfe
12-11-2009, 12:06 AM
Wow! Is this ever fun. We've been celebrating over on CrazieTalk with Rolvix and his acceptance. Now this one to add to it. Anybody else out there? Chime in and get your congratulations, too!!!!!

Love, Ima

BlueintheFace
12-11-2009, 12:23 AM
Uh-greed. I missed 11 games in my 4 years and one of them was Dockery's VA Tech buzzer beater, which I always regret having missed...

Anyways, congrats! I remember calling into the admissions office on Dec. 14th 2001 and finding out and that was one of the best days of my life. Go Duke!

I was at that game. Probably tied for loudest I've heard Cameron recently along with the 2005 UNC game when JJ jumped the high screen and Duke's defense kept Carolina from getting off a final shot. Those are the moments you never forget. After Dock's shot went in I was hugging people I had never met.

VaDukie
12-11-2009, 01:02 AM
I was at that game. Probably tied for loudest I've heard Cameron recently along with the 2005 UNC game when JJ jumped the high screen and Duke's defense kept Carolina from getting off a final shot. Those are the moments you never forget. After Dock's shot went in I was hugging people I had never met.

I was doing the same. Duke games are great for turning complete strangers into best friends for 2 seconds at a time.

duke09hms
12-11-2009, 01:20 AM
yeaaa my sister just found out today that she's in the Duke Class of 2014!!

Let's get it! And don't worry everyone, I've thoroughly influenced her to make it to every game and go crazy.

hell yeah, and following in the footsteps of her bro!

Congrats all you new Blue Devils!! Getting into Duke is like winning the lottery but way better!

patentgeek
12-11-2009, 09:29 AM
Congrats to all DBRers that heard the good news yesterday. I graduated from the Law School in '91 and now have a son that is part of the class of 2012 (and courtside for every game) - both of us made decisions that could not have turned out better.

MHNOLADevil
12-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Congratulations!! It was a wonderful day for me when I ran to my mailbox and found that thick envelope from Duke Admissions. Thanks for sharing the terrific news with your DBR family.

DukieInKansas
12-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Congratulations! Welcome to the family. Enjoy your years - study hard but don't miss the games, both basketball and football.

UrinalCake
12-11-2009, 10:28 AM
Just think, in fifteen years you'll be back on these boards, wishing luck to some other kid about to start his own journey at Duke. Best of luck and if I hear on TV one more time that there are empty seats in Cameron, I'm going to come looking for you! :)

trinity92
12-11-2009, 11:12 AM

I matriculated in 1988 too and remember calling the admissions office on early decision day. Of course, this was on a land line. The person I spoke to kept me on hold a little while and then said "I'm sorry . . . I'm afraid the package you'll be receiving from us will be very . . . very . . . LARGE!" That didn't suck at all.

BTW, not to throw a wet towel over a joyful post, but when a youngster with great news to share with what should be a welcoming family has to do so hesitantly, with any fear that his enthusiastic post might not be appropriate for sharing, we have to take a serious look at the climate we're creating here.

Go duke and best of luck in Durham.

T92

hurleyfor3
12-11-2009, 12:09 PM
Actually I matriculated the next year (this is why my handle references Hurley). Early decision would have been late '88 in that context. The place I applied early to wasn't Duke.

But I'm serious about my original question. How do you find out now?

DukieInKansas
12-11-2009, 12:20 PM
Actually I matriculated the next year (this is why my handle references Hurley). Early decision would have been late '88 in that context. The place I applied early to wasn't Duke.

But I'm serious about my original question. How do you find out now?

Per Cell-R: Duke sends you a website and log-in information. They could check after 6pm last night. Letter follows.

blueprofessor
12-11-2009, 12:34 PM
600 early decision candidates (about 1900 apps) were accepted.
Duke will accept about 11.5% of all apps and 30% of alumni children this year.
It ain't getting easier.:eek:
Stanford will accept 7.3% of apps this year.

Congrats to all who made it! Best of luck to wait listers and rollovers to regular decision from the E.D. applicants.

Best regards--Blueprofessor:)

FreezingDevil
12-11-2009, 01:08 PM
This is going to be a long post, so I apologize in advance

I was in one of the first classes where the University would notify applicants online. Unfortunately for me, there were still some kinks in the system...

For as long as I can remember, I have always wanted to go to Duke. Throughout my entire high school career, I worked my butt off in the relentless pursuit of this goal. In hindsight, such an obsession with getting into one school probably wasn't the healthiest or wisest approach, but thats the way it went down.

Naturally, I applied early decision as soon as I could and waited with paralyzing anxiety for the next six weeks. Notification day came and I raced home from school to check my status online. I logged into the Duke system, clicked on the notification link and...I had been rejected. Not deferred, but flat out rejected. balls

Utterly crushed, I dragged myself into the kitchen and told my parents and siblings. I dont think anyone said anything for a good ten minutes. My mind was an absolute blank -- this was all I had ever wanted and I had come up short.

An hour later the phone rang. It was the Duke admissions rep for my region.

"Congratulations! Welcome to Duke!" She said

Long awkward pause....Did she just say "welcome to Duke"? What the hey?

I informed her that this must be some sick joke because I had in fact been rejected. "WHAT?" said said, "But I thought...wait I need to put you on hold."

What?!?! Was I rejected or not? Oh the agony! With my heart beating heavily in my throat, those two minutes were the longest of my life.

"Ok" she said "I am so terribly sorry. There has been some sort of mistake with the website....You have in fact been accepted into the Class of 2008. Congratulations!"

JOY! OH HAPPY DAY! I didnt know if I wanted punch her or kiss her. I was a Dukie!

Turns out that a massive website malfunction was responsible for the mishap. I was not alone either -- some 30 other kids found themselves in the same situation. I later became friends with many of them, having bonded together over this shared experience.

Exactly six years later to the day, I can't help but think in amazement that all of my friendships, classes, heartbreaks and freezing nights in kville -- the experiences that have made me who I am -- almost never happened.

Lest I forget, I've framed that rejection notice and have it hanging above my desk!

05dukie
12-11-2009, 01:18 PM
I found out that I was a member of the class of 2005 on April 2, 2001. It was a good day to become an official Dukie!!!

The next day during school (I went to high school in Durham) I went to the Duke Store in the Bryan Center during a free period and bought a championship t-shirt. It was with a new sense of pride that I put that particular Duke shirt on and I still have it.

Congrats to the new Dukies!

BlueintheFace
12-11-2009, 01:24 PM
This is going to be a long post, so I apologize in advance

I was in one of the first classes where the University would notify applicants online. Unfortunately for me, there were still some kinks in the system...

For as long as I can remember, I have always wanted to go to Duke. Throughout my entire high school career, I worked my butt off in the relentless pursuit of this goal. In hindsight, such an obsession with getting into one school probably wasn't the healthiest or wisest approach, but thats the way it went down.

Naturally, I applied early decision as soon as I could and waited with paralyzing anxiety for the next six weeks. Notification day came and I raced home from school to check my status online. I logged into the Duke system, clicked on the notification link and...I had been rejected. Not deferred, but flat out rejected. balls

Utterly crushed, I dragged myself into the kitchen and told my parents and siblings. I dont think anyone said anything for a good ten minutes. My mind was an absolute blank -- this was all I had ever wanted and I had come up short.

An hour later the phone rang. It was the Duke admissions rep for my region.

"Congratulations! Welcome to Duke!" She said

Long awkward pause....Did she just say "welcome to Duke"? What the hey?

I informed her that this must be some sick joke because I had in fact been rejected. "WHAT?" said said, "But I thought...wait I need to put you on hold."

What?!?! Was I rejected or not? Oh the agony! With my heart beating heavily in my throat, those two minutes were the longest of my life.

"Ok" she said "I am so terribly sorry. There has been some sort of mistake with the website....You have in fact been accepted into the Class of 2008. Congratulations!"

JOY! OH HAPPY DAY! I didnt know if I wanted punch her or kiss her. I was a Dukie!

Turns out that a massive website malfunction was responsible for the mishap. I was not alone either -- some 30 other kids found themselves in the same situation. I later became friends with many of them, having bonded together over this shared experience.

Exactly six years later to the day, I can't help but think in amazement that all of my friendships, classes, heartbreaks and freezing nights in kville -- the experiences that have made me who I am -- almost never happened.

Lest I forget, I've framed that rejection notice and have it hanging above my desk!

You must have been the only rejection because the class of 08 had ~40 malfunctions for early decision and I heard every one of them was deferral. You sir, had it worse than every other poor applicant who wasn't accepted online but got in.

hurleyfor3
12-11-2009, 01:47 PM
I found out that I was a member of the class of 2005 on April 2, 2001. It was a good day to become an official Dukie!!!

The next day during school (I went to high school in Durham) I went to the Duke Store in the Bryan Center during a free period and bought a championship t-shirt. It was with a new sense of pride that I put that particular Duke shirt on and I still have it.

You can take it off now, it's OK.

05dukie
12-11-2009, 02:02 PM
You can take it off now, it's OK.

haha, i'm not that ridiculous!

it's safely in a drawer

UrinalCake
12-11-2009, 02:29 PM

That's horrible that you had to go through that, but at least it didn't happen the other way (thinking that you had been accepted, only to find you were actually rejected). I've heard of this happening at other schools. Worse yet, the news of being rejected came out much later, after the students had already turned down offers from other schools.

Sooner or later they should fix the internets...

-bdbd
12-11-2009, 03:00 PM

I am officially part of the Duke Class of 2014!! I thought it would be appropriate to share this with a community who, like me, has such a deep, burning passion for everything Duke...

GO DUKE!!!!!!!

Congratulations dukebsbll! :) That is wonderful news! Truly one of life's "highs" is getting accepted to one's dream school. It is a really special place and the next 4 (4+?) years will be very special indeed. Drink it all in. Don't miss a thing. (Academics are first and foremost. But unlike some of my classmates & friends, don't get buried in the library "stacks" and miss out on the tremendous amout of learning opportunities outside the classrooms there too.) Good luck!

:) :) :)

P.S. Now, ask your dad who/how many people he called right after you left, to tell them the good news. I'm sure that he's very proud.

trinity92
12-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Congratulations dukebsbll! :) That is wonderful news! Truly one of life's "highs" is getting accepted to one's dream school. It is a really special place and the next 4 (4+?) years will be very special indeed. Drink it all in. Don't miss a thing. (Academics are first and foremost. But unlike some of my classmates & friends, don't get buried in the library "stacks" and miss out on the tremendous amout of learning opportunities outside the classrooms there too.) Good luck!

P.S. Now, ask your dad who/how many people he called right after you left, to tell them the good news. I'm sure that he's very proud.

Funny, I needed the opposite advice-- someone probably should have pointed out there was, in fact, a library and stacks I could have made my way to from time to time. :p

DukieInKansas
12-11-2009, 05:25 PM

Funny, I needed the opposite advice-- someone probably should have pointed out there was, in fact, a library and stacks I could have made my way to from time to time. :p

My father's advice to me as I headed off to college: "Remember, there is more to an education than books."

I did head to the library to study once - found a place in the stacks and about 1/2 hour later, the group of us headed to the CI (maybe even for a beer). We went back just before Perkins closed to retrieve our books. :eek:

I loved my years at Duke.

roywhite
12-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Congrats to dukebsbll14, and other members of the class of 2014! Of course that includes Kyrie Irving, Tyler Thornton, Josh Hairston, and transfer Seth Curry.

I may have missed it dukebsbll14...are you going to try and play for Coach Sean McNally's team? Lots of great things happening with the program.

dukebsbll14
12-11-2009, 11:01 PM
Congrats to dukebsbll14, and other members of the class of 2014! Of course that includes Kyrie Irving, Tyler Thornton, Josh Hairston, and transfer Seth Curry.

I may have missed it dukebsbll14...are you going to try and play for Coach Sean McNally's team? Lots of great things happening with the program.

at this point, I'm not sure. I went to the Duke Baseball Rising Stars Academy the summer before my junior year and it went pretty well: pitched five innings (longest outing for anyone at the camp), one run on five hits, and got I think 3 guys to hit into double plays (got a nice pat on the back from Coach Mac and Johnny A too). I was never the biggest or strongest guy on my baseball team (in fact I was almost always the smallest), but I always put my team in a position to win. I ended up not playing in hs for my junior year because the team had become a bunch of politcal nonsense: if you didn't look like you belonged on the football team (our coach was not a baseball coach, he was a football coach who happened to coach baseball) or if your parents weren't in his "inner circle" you were never given a shot. The day cuts were made (I was told I would be on JV, while one kid who had been suspended, used drugs, and had not shown up for one single preseason workout since October had made varsity) I basically told him, that if this is the way he's going to run this program I want no part of it. Its just wrong. I said, "I dont care if I don't play again, I'm not going to abandon what I believe in."

In the meantime, I've been helping one of my old coaches coach his 13 year old teams. He was the first coach to look past my size and really help me because he saw how hard I worked and how much I loved baseball. Now that I'm accepted, I'm going to get back in the weight room over the winter and start throwing again in the spring. Then, over the summer I'm going to really work hard and prepare for the season. I'll evaluate where I'm at and see if I have a good shot at making it and then I'll make a decision then.

If I do go out for it and if I am lucky enough to make it, I think I would most likely redshirt my frosh year (or some other year if I tryout later.) This would allow me to gain some strength (I'm actually young for my age so I should be a hs junior) and get another year of maturity. Plus, being an athlete in Pratt would be very difficult so having a fifth year to study would be pretty nice.

At this point, I'm not sure yet. It all depends on where I am physically at the time school starts. If I play thats awesome! I'd be able to go to the school that I love playing the sport I love. If not, well, then pitching my last game-situation game in Jack Coombs Field and winning is kind of a nice way to go:)

roywhite
12-11-2009, 11:08 PM
Now that I'm accepted, I'm going to get back in the weight room over the winter and start throwing again in the spring. Then, over the summer I'm going to really work hard and prepare for the season. I'll evaluate where I'm at and see if I have a good shot at making it and then I'll make a decision then.

If I do go out for it and if I am lucky enough to make it, I think I would most likely redshirt my frosh year (or some other year if I tryout later.) This would allow me to gain some strength (I'm actually young for my age so I should be a hs junior) and get another year of maturity. Plus, being an athlete in Pratt would be very difficult so having a fifth year to study would be pretty nice.

Sounds like you're giving this plenty of thought, and will likely choose the best course. Always a good idea to get your feet on the ground academically first.

Congrats to you and best wishes for your college experience.

Cell-R
12-12-2009, 02:15 PM

GO DUKE!!!!!!!

Congratulations!!!! I think 6:00 p.m. was definitely one of the best moments of my life. I was also accepted and will be joining you next year as a Blue Devil! 2014!!!

Some people here have already referenced me from crazietalk. (Cell-R/Rolvix - Rolvix is my CTN name)

dukebsbll14
12-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Congratulations!!!! I think 6:00 p.m. was definitely one of the best moments of my life. I was also accepted and will be joining you next year as a Blue Devil! 2014!!!

Some people here have already referenced me from crazietalk. (Cell-R/Rolvix - Rolvix is my CTN name)

Congrats to you as well! I was speechless when I got the letter, I don't think its really gonna hit me until I move in and am like, "wow, I'm actually here! I don't have to live through my sister anymore!" haha

oh, I'm dukebsbll14 on CTN too

Lord Ash
12-12-2009, 05:47 PM
One of the best things was simply sitting on a bench on West on a beautiful spring day, chatting with the cute smart girls walking by and eating lunch... followed, of course, by a nap in the shade of the big trees along West.

Oh man I miss those days something fierce.

Cell-R
12-13-2009, 12:02 AM
Congrats to you as well! I was speechless when I got the letter, I don't think its really gonna hit me until I move in and am like, "wow, I'm actually here! I don't have to live through my sister anymore!" haha

oh, I'm dukebsbll14 on CTN too

Yeah, I really haven't fully realized what getting into Duke means. It's no longer my dream school - it's a reality...

jjasper0729
12-14-2009, 01:10 PM
I remember getting my big fat envelope with the big blue folder in it saying it was a very real pleasure to have me join the student body at Duke. I had applied early and was so glad I didn't need to apply anywhere else (and didn't!).

Congrats. soak in every bit of it while you're there because when it's over, you'll know it.

Now i'm just waiting until my son is ready to apply and gets the same joy I got.