PDA

View Full Version : Up In The Air review

JasonEvans
12-10-2009, 04:18 PM
Ivan Reitman gave us Ghostbusters and Stripes. In the 1980s, he was a great comedic director.

The father may be good, but only 3 films into his career it would appear that his son, Jason Reitman, is even better.

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/gallery/1208137/photo_06_hires.jpg

His latest film, Up In the Air, is even better than the critically acclaimed Juno. The picture centers around a business traveller (George Clooney) with no connections... except connecting flights. His whole purpose in life is to collect frequent flier miles. He considers airports and airplanes his home. He is on the road 300 days a year and hates when he is not traveling.

What's more, his job is to be a corporate downsizer... he fires people for a living. Make no mistake, he is good at his job, but --whew-- what a depressing existence. Still, he loves it.

I do not want to give away too much of the plot, but his life takes a turn when the company sends him out on the road with a 23-year-old woman so he can teach her the business. She is played by Anna Kendrick, who is best known for some small role in the Twilight films. Much like Ellen Page becoming a star as a result of Juno, Kendrick is going to be a star because of this film. She's fabulous as the one person with honest emotions in Clooney's character's life.

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/gallery/1208137/photo_02_hires.jpg

The film features a bunch of very funny actors in small cameos -- mostly getting fired. The only other character of note is Clooney's love interest Vera Farmiga, who is phenomenally sexy in this film. Every man in the audience will fall for her over the course of this film. She's great.

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/gallery/1208137/photo_05_hires.jpg

I cannot say enough about how wonderfully this picture is directed. There is great attention to detail in every inch of every frame. I love the many shots of American cities from the view of an airplane overhead. Reitman has great timing and pacing in his direction -- never pushing you ahead too fast but never letting a scene labor longer than needed. And he must be an actor's dream because he gets amazing performances from his cast. There will be multiple acting nominations coming out of this film, I guarantee it.

The story is very funny at times, but it is the emotion of the characters that resonates with the audience. This is a picture to go see with friends and chat about once it is over.

For some strange reason, Paramount is rolling this film out slowly. It will open in one or two theaters in some markets this weekend but won't get a wide release until Christmas. If it is in your neighborhood-- GO SEE IT NOW!! This is certain to be a strong contender for Best Picture at the Academy Awards.

--Jason "there is still a lot to see, but right now this is my pick for Best Pic in 2009" Evans

brevity
12-10-2009, 05:14 PM
She is played by Anna Kendrick, who is best known for some small role in the Twilight films. Much like Ellen Page becoming a star as a result of Juno, Kendrick is going to be a star because of this film. She's fabulous as the one person with honest emotions in Clooney's character's life.

While you're right about her biggest claim to fame so far, you may want to check out her performance as a alpha female high school debater in 2007's Rocket Science. She (and the equally compelling Nicholas D'Agosto) play strong supporting roles to a mostly inert and stuttering lead character. It doesn't break any ground in the indie quirk teen dramedy genre, but it's probably worth seeing for them.

JasonEvans
12-11-2009, 07:08 AM
Oh, forgot to mention--

I'll be on the radio reviewing Up In The Air at 10am ET today.

You can listen live here: http://www.790thezone.com/ListenLive/index.aspx

I may also mention a little bit about Avatar, though I am not allowed to review it formally ;)

-Jason

Jim3k
12-14-2009, 01:38 AM
Up in the Air is one of those insight movies – one of those which ask the question: How does an adult male ever grow up?

No – it’s not the Peter Pan boy who never becomes a man – it’s more 'how long does a grown man remain unable to view himself as an unfeeling SOB, one who doesn’t want to be truly connected to an other human being?'

George Clooney’s character has figured out a lifestyle where he never has to take personal responsibility for anything he does – and he gets paid well to do it: A hired gun whose job is to substitute for employers who are unwilling to discharge/lay off/downsize their staff themselves. He is brought in to fire people. Great job, huh?

That kind of job requires a coldhearted personality – one who intellectually understands what the employee is going through, but who at boot, just doesn’t care. Indeed, he has a second job as a motivational speaker selling a philosophy of getting rid of unnecessary baggage, such as other people. So how long and under what circumstances can such a person continue to do that job or hold that set of values? Is there a point, or an epiphany where such a person comes to see his own shallowness or is it simply a slow march toward one’s own mortality?

Is it when Clooney comes home to a bare-naked apartment in Omaha (unglamorous Omaha?) or when he discovers he’s been deceived? Is it when his 23-year old protégé says to her boyfriend that traveling with Clooney ‘is not like that. He’s old.’

I think the movie held my interest because it allowed Clooney the process of changing his values -- from his self-centered goal of 10 million American Airlines miles to becoming a person having real empathy for others. No, it’s not Bogie descending into madness (as in the Treasure of the Sierra Madre), but there is a transition, which takes place throughout the movie, a progression that Clooney carries out very well.

There’s no action here for action-lovers. It’s not a feel-good, happy ending movie. At the same time, there’s no sentimentality as Director Jason Reitman takes us through the emotions of the fired and the eventual guilt of those doing the firing. It’s a worthy movie. Certainly Clooney’s meager effort at redemption falls short.

I am aware that some are saying that Clooney’s performance is Academy Award quality. I don’t think so, but it’s very good. Frankly I liked Vera Farmiga as Clooney’s female counterpart better.

All in all, I think it’s a decent movie and worth seeing. Just don’t expect to come out of the theater feeling good about the world. Yet, it’s not a downer and there are certainly some hilarious lines.

wavelength 450nm
12-29-2009, 01:17 PM
I saw "Up in the Air" last night and did not like it much. The movie is very well made but the story had very little satisfaction in it for me. I thought it would be funnier. Other comments here have missed what was for me the most important and unsatisfying aspect of the story and that is Alex's dishonesty. She lies through omission and then blames Clooney for "almost ruining her life" instead of taking any responsibility for her own actions. They were not playing the same game and I find her's much uglier. That's why I didn't like the movie - because I liked her and I felt the betrayal.

Having said all that, there is some room for optimism at the end. The young woman gets out of Omaha and gets her life restarted with help from the Clooney character. And one can project that the Clooney character will continue to become a more human being.

Channing
12-29-2009, 01:29 PM
I recommend going back and editing your post to put the text in white so someone doesnt accidentally read it. If you can no longer go back and edit maybe a mod can fix that for you.

JasonEvans
12-29-2009, 03:23 PM
I recommend going back and editing your post to put the text in white so someone doesnt accidentally read it. If you can no longer go back and edit maybe a mod can fix that for you.

I did it.

-J

CrazyCat
01-01-2010, 12:24 AM
This is one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. I thought everyone did an amazing acting job. Sadly, we all know too many people who have lost their jobs over the past couple of years. We also know what it is liked to get screwed by someone you thought actually gave a crap about you. I think it deserves every award it is up for.

Clipsfan
01-02-2010, 01:54 AM
I saw this a few weeks ago at a screening which Jason (the director) attended and at which he did a Q&A. I thought the movie was very enjoyable, especially when you consider the life Clooney's character has chosen, but didn't think that it was very deep. It was well done, but fairly predictable and very simple to understand the themes. I haven't read the book, but Jason recommended it highly.