PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin just lost to Green Bay

FireOgilvie
12-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Not the Packers. Apparently there is a school called "Green Bay" and they just beat Wisconsin in basketball.

Green Bay previously lost to UAB and Long Beach State.

Apparently they are known as the "Green Bay Phoenix."

WiJoe
12-09-2009, 10:28 PM
well, poop. The team that beat Duke gets embarrassed by a mid-major.

wis.-green bay 88, wisconsin 84, in OT

:eek:

I am by no means a wisconsin fan, but green bay is coached by noted wanker Tod Kowalczyk

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/07/05/sports/college-basketball-appeals-panel-allows-suit-over-nude-drill-at-rutgers.html

from wis. notes:

Wisconsin owns a perfect 15-0 record vs. Green Bay, including a 2-0 mark in games played in Green Bay. CHECK THAT

YourLandlord
12-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Not the Packers. Apparently there is a school called "Green Bay" and they just beat Wisconsin in basketball.

Green Bay previously lost to UAB and Long Beach State.

Apparently they are known as the "Green Bay Phoenix."

So, let me get this straight.

Long Beach State > Green Bay > Wisconsin > Duke > UConn > Kentucky [right now] > UNC?

Sounds right in my book!

Cameron
12-09-2009, 10:30 PM
The home of Tony Bennett, current Virginia head coach and son of former Wisconsin head coach Dick Bennett. You might also know him as the most accurate three-point shooter in the history of college basketball. Tony shot 49 percent for his career from beyond the arc with the Wiconsin-Green Bay Phoenix.

Impressive. That might sound like a quick Wikipedia search, but I actually had a basketball card of Tony's, random enough, when I was younger.

As for Wisconsin losing, please tell me this wasn't in Madison?? Not that it would matter one way or the other, but it'd be kind of a let down. After all, Bo Ryan is something like 116-8 at the Kohl Center.

roywhite
12-09-2009, 10:33 PM
The home of Tony Bennett, current Virginia head coach and son of former Wisconsin head coach Dick Bennett. You might also know him as the most accurate three-point shooter in the history of college basketball. Tony shot 49 percent for his career from beyond the arc with the Wiconsin-Green Bay Phoenix.

Impressive. That might sound like a quick Wikipedia search, but I actually had a basketball card of Tony's, random enough, when I was younger.

As for Wisconsin losing, please tell me this wasn't in Madison?? Not that it would matter one way or the other, but it'd be kind of a let down. After all, Bo Ryan is something like 116-8 at the Kohl Center.

The game (overtime no less) was in Green Bay. I hope the Phoenix fans rushed the court.

Cameron
12-09-2009, 10:37 PM

Long Beach State > Green Bay > Wisconsin > Duke > UConn > Kentucky [right now] > UNC?

Sounds right in my book!

That reminds me of 2001-02 when Carolina lost at home to Hampton and Ohio (and beat Binghamton by one). I did this same equation then, although I can't remember the exact teams. It was something like: Carolina loses to Hampton ... Hampton loses to Florida Tech ... Florida Tech loses to Muskingham CC ... Muskingham CC loses to itself in a scrimmage ... etc.

Means nothing, but kinda funny.

YourLandlord
12-09-2009, 10:37 PM
Means nothing, but kinda funny.

Disagree. It means Carolina sucks.

mo.st.dukie
12-09-2009, 10:46 PM

Sounds right in my book!

Yep, and KU just beat Radford by 35 while Duke beat Radford by 37, so we're 2 points better than the #1 team in the nation.

dukemath
12-09-2009, 10:51 PM
Yep, and KU just beat Radford by 35 while Duke beat Radford by 37, so we're 2 points better than the #1 team in the nation.

And assuming Duke beats Long Beach State at the end of the month, Duke will be better than itself.

SilkyJ
12-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Disagree. It means Carolina sucks.

HAHAHAH. POTD!

At least St. John's won against another BCS school, though Georgia is about as much of a BCS basketball school as we (used to be) a BCS football school...

weezie
12-09-2009, 11:07 PM
Long Beach State

The Beach will be a very entertaining game, with some very cool jerseys to boot. Ballers, yes indeed. Should be fun for at least 10-12 minutes.

ChicagoCrazy84
12-10-2009, 12:23 AM
The Beach will be a very entertaining game, with some very cool jerseys to boot. Ballers, yes indeed. Should be fun for at least 10-12 minutes.

How did we end up getting scheduled with Long Beach St. anyway? Such a random opponent in a non-conference game.

juise
12-10-2009, 01:08 AM
How did we end up getting scheduled with Long Beach St. anyway? Such a random opponent in a non-conference game.

This is a long shot, but I wonder if it was the beginning of a home and (LA area) neutral series so that Taylor King could play somewhat close to home. I remember thinking that University of Portland was a really random opponent until I found out about K's practice of getting his players a chance to be seen in their home area. I was OK with it, though, because I got to see Duke in the Rose Garden during my freshman Thanksgiving. :)

Bob Green
12-10-2009, 04:24 AM
Wisconsin-Green Bay is the team we might open against at the CBE Classic next year according to a DBR article from yesterday:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=30775

Here is an article from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on WGB's victory over the Badgers:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/badgers/78927292.html

These upsets are fantastic and one of the many things that make college basketball great!

gumbomoop
12-10-2009, 08:24 AM

Not entirely random. Each season K schedules several OOC games with teams likely to make NCAA tourney as 10-16 seeds, thus providing multiple games with competition comparable to 1st-2d rd tourney opponents. Thus, Radford, and later LBSU, Iowa St., and Tulsa.

This LBSU team has played a bunch of solid teams: at ND, win at Green Bay, WestVa, Clemson, and UCLA (win), at Texas, with upcoming game at UK before visiting Durham. Hard to imagine a tougher SOS for a mid-major, and a pretty young team, too. They may be exhausted by the time they get to CIS, but no reason to think they're soft.