PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky 64, UConn 61

geraldsneighbor
12-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Can there be a matchup of two shadier coaches than what we have this evening at the World's Most Famous Arena? Coach Calimari leads his one-and-dones into face the Convicts tonight in what is probably the game of the week. Anyone giving UCONN a shot tonight? It'll be rare time I cheer for the Huskies as A. I can't stand Calipari, and B. it helps us.

BlueintheFace
12-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Go UConn!!! (that felt dirty)

geraldsneighbor
12-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Seriously, I think I need to take a shower after typing Kentucky and Connecticut in the same post.

roywhite
12-09-2009, 08:41 PM
They even have a "history" from the days when Calipari was at UMass and there was a fight for regional supremacy.

Two scorpions going at each other.

geraldsneighbor
12-09-2009, 09:01 PM
I wonder what their payrolls were like back then?

BlueintheFace
12-09-2009, 09:04 PM
I wonder what their payrolls were like back then?

reported or unreported?....( I keed, I keed)... sort of.

DevilHorns
12-09-2009, 09:08 PM
is calhoun really as dirty as callipari? i dont think so. i want uconn to win tonight just bc i cant stand calipari and the uk nation. i dont want them to just lose, i want them crushed.

ArkieDukie
12-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Can I cheer for a natural disaster or a swine flu outbreak? Definitely a matchup of 2 of college basketball's sleaziest coaches.

77devil
12-09-2009, 09:30 PM
Paraphrasing Calipari on PTI today.

In any program when you're the CEO, the head coach, you're responsible for everything but it's hard to be held accountable for everything that happens from top to bottom............... Whether it's me or any other coach in the NCAA, you can't promise that things are on the up from top to bottom in your program that you control because it's just hard to.

Hmm, can't be much more equivocal and conditional than that.

moonpie23
12-09-2009, 09:33 PM
ugh....DISCLAIMER: just ugh...

ok

go uconn...

yech

superdave
12-09-2009, 09:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VQ8pgySec4

BlueintheFace
12-09-2009, 09:46 PM
Two running teams, but one of them is a lot better at running than the other. UK by 18

BlueintheFace
12-09-2009, 09:48 PM
OMG. John Wall is just completely unstoppable.

sagegrouse
12-09-2009, 09:50 PM
12-0. Calhoun's second TO already.

Wall is running wild.

sagegrouse

Welcome2DaSlopes
12-09-2009, 09:52 PM
Seeing John Wall still hurts.

moonpie23
12-09-2009, 09:55 PM
this could be really ugly for uconn tonight

duketaylor
12-09-2009, 09:56 PM
This is only the 2nd time these two schools have played?

How whacked is that?

Is there no way both can lose? Oh well.

jipops
12-09-2009, 09:59 PM
I think Bledsoe is pretty impressive. Seems to be a bit more controlled out there than Wall, though obviously not as physically gifted.

I share the general feeling-dirty sentiment. go UConn

BlueintheFace
...so much running.

Bob Green

Why? It doesn't hurt me to see John Wall playing at Kentucky, or anywhere else for that matter. Of course, I was never naive enough to believe John Wall had any interest in matriculating at Duke.

When it comes to recruiting, you win some and you lose some, and you probably lose more than you win. That is why I can enjoy watching Kenny Boynton play at Florida and Greg Monroe at Georgetown without giving it a second thought. I have the ability to kick back, live life, and enjoy the games.

DevilHorns
12-09-2009, 10:00 PM

would like to say im over it. but definitely not. man i cant wait for kyrie.

77devil
12-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Nice run by UConn. Clearly the key for UConn is keeping it a half court game. UK looks much more ordinary in a set offense. Easier said than done.

77devil
12-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Why? It doesn't hurt me to see John Wall playing at Kentucky, or anywhere else for that matter. Of course, I was never naive enough to believe John Wall had any interest in matriculating at Duke.

When it comes to recruiting, you win some and you lose some, and you probably lose more than you win. That is why I can enjoy watching Kenny Boynton play at Florida and Greg Monroe at Georgetown without giving it a second thought. I have the ability to kick back, live life, and enjoy the games.

Amen.

dukemsu
12-09-2009, 10:05 PM
John Wall is lightning Absolute lightning.

dukemsu

dukelifer
12-09-2009, 10:05 PM
OMG. John Wall is just completely unstoppable.

Make him play in the half court and he is stoppable.

YourLandlord
12-09-2009, 10:06 PM
CCNY is the only team in men's college basketball history to win both the National Invitation Tournament and the NCAA Tournament in the same year, 1950. However, this accomplishment was overshadowed by a point shaving scandal in which seven CCNY basketball players were arrested, in 1951, for taking money from gamblers to affect the outcome of games.[30] The scandal led to the decline of CCNY from a national powerhouse in Division I basketball to a member of Division III and damaged the national profile of college basketball in general.

RelativeWays
12-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Creepy Calhoun has the CONvicts playing better team ball right now.

jipops
12-09-2009, 10:14 PM
UK's halfcourt offense - not very good. They appear disorganized, probably has to do with youth.

77devil
12-09-2009, 10:14 PM
UK's halfcourt offense - not very good. They appear disorganized, probably has to do with youth.

And the coaching or lack thereof.

moonpie23
12-09-2009, 10:15 PM
hey...is the arc painted on the floor in front of the basket the same size as what the imaginary line for the ncaa?

BlueintheFace
12-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Make him play in the half court and he is stoppable.

Yah, it would be more accurate to say he is unstoppable when UK is not in half court sets. DDM my foot....

77devil
12-09-2009, 10:19 PM
hey...is the arc painted on the floor in front of the basket the same size as what the imaginary line for the ncaa?

No. It's the NBA arc. The NCAA imaginary line is a straight line under the basket.

jipops
12-09-2009, 10:19 PM
And the coaching or lack thereof.

Why in the world is Patterson not carving up space in the paint?

moonpie23
12-09-2009, 10:26 PM
this is some good streetball......uk is learning that individual play needs to be woven into the fabric of the team..

what's up with wall??? more cramps?

jipops
12-09-2009, 10:34 PM
Amazing. espn loses feed so we can't see the end of the 1st half. Yet somehow there wasn't any trouble in the previous telecast of the Hawks-Bulls yawner blowout.

BlueintheFace
12-09-2009, 10:34 PM
Here is an interesting question- would you rather play UConn or Kentucky in March?

YourLandlord
12-09-2009, 10:38 PM
Here is an interesting question- would you rather play UConn or Kentucky in March?

Ask me in February.

DevilHorns
12-09-2009, 10:43 PM

Given that we played UConn earlier this year, they'll be better prepared for us you can guarantee that. Also, UConn is a much more veteran team than UK. I rather play UK in march if I had to choose now (assuming of course that UK doesn't mature incredibly fast).

sagegrouse
12-09-2009, 10:45 PM

Neither in March; either in April.:):)

sagegrouse

jipops
12-09-2009, 10:48 PM

I'm not feeling it really. If anything I'd be hurting over losing Patterson to them. The guy has been there 3 seasons now.

jipops
12-09-2009, 10:55 PM
The Gavin Edwards kid is an impressive talent off the bench for UConn. I still find it amazing we dominated that team on the boards.

BlueintheFace
12-09-2009, 10:56 PM
I really don't like Orton

duketaylor
12-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Wall reminds me of AI in his prime, awesome scorer.

moonpie23
12-09-2009, 11:04 PM
wow, bledsoe just threw a block under the basket HIGHLY reminiscent of the one gerald threw on hans.......he was lucky it didn't connect....

BlueintheFace
12-09-2009, 11:04 PM
Edwards is a smart player. He will be very good.

jipops
12-09-2009, 11:08 PM
Wall reminds me of AI in his prime, awesome scorer.

He certainly has the speed but AI had a better handle, especially in traffic.

BlueintheFace
12-09-2009, 11:08 PM
Bob Knight is crying somewhere watching this game...

duketaylor
12-09-2009, 11:10 PM
Patterson reminds me of what Carlos has become as a pro; inside and outside threat.

FireOgilvie
12-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Kentucky should have 3 players go in the first round of the draft this year and I wouldn't be surprised if two of them were in the lottery. I'm thinking 1 (Wall), 10 (Cousins), and 20 (Patterson).

I wouldn't be surprised if Cousins or Patterson went higher though. Patterson really helped himself out when he developed his 3 point shot this offseason.

moonpie23
12-09-2009, 11:15 PM
refs seem to be ignoring transgressions by uk right now...

jipops
12-09-2009, 11:19 PM

I sure do wish he was the one calling it.

moonpie23
12-09-2009, 11:19 PM

hahahahhahaha...you're right....

dukemsu
12-09-2009, 11:26 PM
Predicatbly, Vitale is over the top on his praise of Wall. Out of control and his decision making is shaky.

But his speed and power are truly breathtaking. He looks like a high-level D1 guy playing against high school kids.

dukemsu

BlueintheFace
12-09-2009, 11:30 PM
A sophomore John Wall would be breathtaking. Just imagine if this kid had another year to learn about valuing the ball and exploiting mismatches in the halfcourt.

trey
12-09-2009, 11:33 PM
Watching John Wall play is fascinating. He plays with speed and intensity. But, when the action stops, he looks emotionless, or like he's about to fall asleep.

For the second time in a week, I feel dirty for pulling for Kentucky. As soon as this is over, I taking a shower ;)

moonpie23
12-09-2009, 11:34 PM
if vitale would stfu a bit, maybe we could get more commentary on THIS game...

sheesh

FireOgilvie
12-09-2009, 11:35 PM
A sophomore John Wall would be breathtaking. Just imagine if this kid had another year to learn about valuing the ball and exploiting mismatches in the halfcourt.

Yeah, no kidding. Another year working on his outside shooting and a year of experience. Wow. The crazy thing is that he has a ton of room for improvement and he's still right up there for NPOY right now. He'd probably win it if the season ended tonight.

dukemsu
12-09-2009, 11:37 PM
makes some absolutely mystifyingly stupid decisions. Why commit your fifth foul 85 feet from the basket?

dukemsu

Duvall
12-09-2009, 11:39 PM
The Dribble Drive Motion doesn't seem to involve much motion.

moonpie23
12-09-2009, 11:40 PM
48 secs left uconn by 1 but wall is still on the floor

juise
12-09-2009, 11:42 PM
48 secs left uconn by 1 but wall is still on the floor

It'll be a battle of who wants to miss the most free throws.

trey
12-09-2009, 11:42 PM
makes some absolutely mystifyingly stupid decisions. Why commit your fifth foul 85 feet from the basket?

dukemsu

Definitely. I'm not sure how good this team would be if they didn't have one smart, level-headed player (Patterson) on the floor. So far, they've been getting by on talent alone.

dukemsu
12-09-2009, 11:43 PM
absolutely sick drive to take the lead.

dukemsu

moonpie23
12-09-2009, 11:43 PM
hahaha....an wall stabs em in the heart.....lol

BlueintheFace
12-09-2009, 11:44 PM
What the heck kind of rotation was that. LT would have taken a charge there because K would have said priority one is to stop Wall from getting to the rim. Every big man on our team would just be waiting to rotate...

FireOgilvie
12-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Judging by what I've seen so far in the game, I'm going to guess that Kentucky inadvertently fouls UConn and they miss at least 1 free throw and then Kentucky wins eventually.

moonpie23
12-09-2009, 11:46 PM
if uconn doesn't get a 3 off

dukemsu
12-09-2009, 11:47 PM
None go down. 1 free throw clinches for UK.

dukemsu

moonpie23
12-09-2009, 11:48 PM
wow......awesome game

dukemsu
I think Calhoun just snubbed Cal on the handshake.

dukemsu

jipops
Not the prettiest game, but very entertaining.

BlueintheFace
12-09-2009, 11:51 PM
Question of the season... will Kentucky learn discipline before March?

trey
12-09-2009, 11:51 PM
wow......awesome game

Agreed. Kentucky's immaturity seems to make every game interesting, and their talent eventually prevails.

moonpie23
12-09-2009, 11:54 PM
I think Calhoun just snubbed Cal on the handshake.

dukemsu

perfect !! :)

Wheat/"/"/"
12-10-2009, 12:02 AM
A few quick thoughts...

There were some studs on the court in that game.

Those kids are so much more physically mature than Duke and UNC, it's not even close.

There was a lot of testosterone between Wall and Walker going head to head out there. I'd like to say Wall got too cocky mid-way thru the 2nd half...KY had the game under control and Wall started showboating...UCONN got back in it...But Wall came up clutch...so how can you say he was too cocky?

Vitale did get one thing right...Wall has to learn to control his speed. When he does, I hope he's in the NBA.

Calhoun so outcoached Cal, it's a shame UCONN lost. It's hard to beat talent like that.

KY has maturity issues, beyond Wall.

moonpie23
12-10-2009, 12:06 AM
age and treachery can overcome youth and skill...

Greg_Newton
12-10-2009, 01:26 AM
Did anyone notice that during one of the last timeouts, while the camera was on Cal and the UK players huddled around him, he was just silently staring at a piece of paper for a good 5-10 seconds while the huddle looked dead silent? Maybe that's something common, but it struck me as pretty bizarre and awkward.

John Wall is just amazing. I'll be pretty shocked if he doesn't will them to the Final 4, whether UK finds some discipline or not.

striker219
12-10-2009, 04:31 AM
First, it seemed odd that with 13 or so seconds left UCon wouldn't use their last timeout to set up a play.

Second, this was a really hard game to watch. I mean, the emotional conflict of watching these two teams and knowing one had to win... Ugh. Kentucky took the big lead out of the gate and I found myself going "come on UCon, get back in this thing" and then UCon went on a run and I found myself thinking "Kentucky what are you doing? You can't let them do that to you!" In my head I wanted UCon to pull it out, but it just felt unnatural. Like in the end of The Abyss when Ed Harris has to learn how to breathe liquid, except that I was choking and gagging for two straight hours.

I found myself wondering about the feasibility of a game ending in a tie. Is that possible in the modern game? I don't know what the rule is, but lets say for the sake of argument that a team has to field a minimum of four players or they are forced to forfeit. Now lets assume that it is in the third or fourth overtime and both teams have had most of their players foul out and they each only have four guys left on the court. With the score tied, a double technical is called and both teams send a player to the bench for the rest of the evening. Does the game continue 3-on-3? Do they call it a tie? Do both teams lose?

Someone drop some knowledge on me.

Billy Dat
12-10-2009, 08:41 AM
Wall is extremely exciting to watch to the point where I don't want to miss any games where he is on TV. I was rooting pretty hard for UConn because I wanted them to win to make our win against them look even better.

That team, and Wall in particular, are going to keep getting better and are certainly a favorite to win a title, barring significant injuries. This just feels like a down talent year for college hoops and they've got as much if not more talent than anyone. Forget Wall for a second and Patterson is playing his butt off...and they've got another 5-6 really solid players.

allenmurray
12-10-2009, 09:16 AM
Wall is extremely exciting to watch to the point where I don't want to miss any games where he is on TV. I was rooting pretty hard for UConn because I wanted them to win to make our win against them look even better.

That team, and Wall in particular, are going to keep getting better and are certainly a favorite to win a title, barring significant injuries. This just feels like a down talent year for college hoops and they've got as much if not more talent than anyone. Forget Wall for a second and Patterson is playing his butt off...and they've got another 5-6 really solid players.

When Wall's decision making catches up with his basketball ability he will be amazing. Actually, he already is amazing - when his decision making catches up with his ability he will be unstopable. I found myslef wishing he had gone to some school other than Kentucky as he was so much fun to watch, and it is very hard to root for anybody attending Kentucky.

superdave
12-10-2009, 09:26 AM
When Wall's decision making catches up with his basketball ability he will be amazing. Actually, he already is amazing - when his decision making catches up with his ability he will be unstopable. I found myslef wishing he had gone to some school other than Kentucky as he was so much fun to watch, and it is very hard to root for anybody attending Kentucky.

I think Wall will be a lot more fun to watch in Feb/March when he defers to his teammates a little more. Derrick Rose is not a good comparison for Wall, because Rose was unselfish (and played on a mature team). I think Wall is more like Rajon Rondo but super-sized and on 'roids (not to imply he's actually on 'roids). Or he could be compared to Dwyane Wade.

I think he had 2 assists, 7 turnovers last night. Sweet. Nice job getting your teammates involved!

Also, Kimba Walker is much better as spark plug off the bench (last year) than as a starter.

moonpie23
12-10-2009, 09:29 AM
i'm not sure how this uk team would match up to his memphis team that went to the finals. they are young now, but if gets them matured, they could be scary good..

regardless, i love watching Wall play..... too bad it's for the Squid...

calltheobvious
12-10-2009, 09:38 AM
i'm not sure how this uk team would match up to his memphis team that went to the finals. they are young now, but if gets them matured, they could be scary good..

That Memphis team would CRUSH this UK team, at least the UK team playing right now. Patterson would certainly be the best post player on the floor, but Dorsey would be able to keep him from completely going off. The game would be decided easily in the back-court, as Rose and Douglas-Roberts were just too solid with the basketball to give UK enough possessions to offset all of the turnovers they would (do) commit.

But my-oh-my would it be one of the most exciting 92-72 games I've ever seen.

should_be_working
12-10-2009, 09:41 AM
Ugh, that game was not basketball, that was a five on Wall playground pick up game. Granted I only watched one half, but from what I saw there was only one instance of either team running a half court set on offense. It was a track meet, and a spread the court so John Wall can drive to the basket and get fouled game. Problem with that philosophy is that neither team was very good shooting free-throws. The score was in the low sixties and while entertaining, wasn't, in my opinion, a good brand of basketball. I really hope that's not what college basketball is going to look like in the future. I guess this is appealing for John Wall type kids. He gets a huge segment on Sportscenter and ridiculous praise from Mr. Vitale. I guess I'm old school, but I want to see some passing and nice (half court) offensive play.

camion
12-10-2009, 10:17 AM
I watched most of the game last night and was alternately amazed by the tremendous athleticism and the horrendous decision making of the players. If the athletes had also been accomplished basketball players the score would have been in the nineties instead of the sixties.

Wall undoubtedly has the most pro potential of the players on the court, but my favorite player was Gavin Edwards. He appeared to me to have the highest ratio of good plays to bad plays.

moonpie23
12-10-2009, 11:45 AM
yeah, there's something about edwards that i like...

dukelifer
12-10-2009, 03:43 PM

My sense is that KY will be playing very close games against decent opponents all year- but with Wall they always have a chance to win. The kid seems to like the big moment. Still KY seems to have little margin for error. I have been impressed with Wall's ability to lift his team- the kid is definitely the number 1 pick- even if he stopped playing now. The SEC season is going to be easy for this team because the SEC is not that good. Tenn and Florida could be good tests.

RockyMtDevil
12-10-2009, 03:53 PM
We may not be athletic, but at least we have basketball players. That game was hideous to watch on numerous levels. First, neither team can shoot the ball from the perimeter. Second, the decision making was horrible, I now see why we didn't sign Bledsoe, he was trying to make the spectacular play all night long and finished with 4 points and 5 fouls. Uconn will lose at least 9 games this year, they are a terrible "basketball team". Sure, they have 10 guys that can dunk and block your shot, but I could take all of them in a game of horse, pathetic jump shooters.

Wall is definitely a pro, but he isn't Lebron James. He is razor thin, has a shaky outside shot and doesn't move worth a crap off the ball. Kentucky is not world beaters people.

I'll take our Non-athletes any day over these two squads. running, jumping and leaping doesn't score points, this ain't the olympics.

Bob Green
12-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Also, Kimba Walker is much better as spark plug off the bench (last year) than as a starter.

Kemba Walker is averaging 15 points and 5.6 assists per game so far this season. His averages were 8.9 and 2.9 last season. I'd say he is a pretty good spark plug as a starter.

DevilHorns
12-10-2009, 04:21 PM
yeah, there's something about edwards that i like...

Thats what I was thinking throughout the whole game! He seems like a player Duke would recruit.

Outside of the last play where he hurled up a 3 (he had a player open below the basket for an easy 2) he played very well.

Devilsfan
12-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Former Duke targets wind up playing together and beating carolina.
Not quite as nice as playing for us but atleast they beat the heels.

uh_no
12-10-2009, 06:32 PM
We may not be athletic, but at least we have basketball players. First, neither team can shoot the ball from the perimeter.

So because we can jack up threes like no other, this makes us basketball players.

or that's what I gathered from the first part of your post

allenmurray
12-10-2009, 06:48 PM
So because we can jack up threes like no other, this makes us basketball players.

or that's what I gathered from the first part of your post

Perhpas you should have read one sentence further. The teams (combined) had 19 assists to 32 turnovers.

We may not be athletic, but at least we have basketball players. That game was hideous to watch on numerous levels. First, neither team can shoot the ball from the perimeter. Second, the decision making was horrible,

I'll take our Non-athletes any day over these two squads. running, jumping and leaping doesn't score points, this ain't the olympics.

FireOgilvie
12-10-2009, 07:42 PM
I think Wall will be a lot more fun to watch in Feb/March when he defers to his teammates a little more. Derrick Rose is not a good comparison for Wall, because Rose was unselfish (and played on a mature team). I think Wall is more like Rajon Rondo but super-sized and on 'roids (not to imply he's actually on 'roids). Or he could be compared to Dwyane Wade.

I think he had 2 assists, 7 turnovers last night. Sweet. Nice job getting your teammates involved!

Wall averages over 7 assists/game and last night was not in line with what he has done earlier this year. Against UConn, it was obvious that he was the only person that could get the ball in the hoop in the 2nd half and especially down the stretch. He usually defers a lot more, but I think Calipari told him to look for his own shot. He is actually a great passer. He always puts the ball right in his man's stomach/chest area. He has great passing fundamentals, which is somewhat surprising given his deficiencies in other areas (dribbling out of control, decision-making, 3 point shooting, etc).

UrinalCake
12-11-2009, 10:10 AM
I now see why we didn't sign Bledsoe, he was trying to make the spectacular play all night long and finished with 4 points and 5 fouls.

From what little I've seen of Bledsoe he has not looked good. Lots of careless turnovers as well as being foul-prone. I'm not sure how much of this is a reflection of his natural abilities and how much is a result of playing next to/behind Wall.

I don't want to get into the whole recruiting discussion, but I do think that his skills would have been welcome at Duke had he ended up here.

greybeard
12-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Both teams were as quick and intuitive defensively as offensively; hence the turnovers. This was like watching one of those lighter weight championship fights with between two great, quick punchers. I enjoyed the game very much.

In the end, I think UConn is the better team. By the end of the season, especially when the other 6'11" kid joins them, I think that that will be apparent. Syracuse-UConn will definitely be worth a watch.

HoopsFan
12-12-2009, 04:37 PM
Thats what I was thinking throughout the whole game! He seems like a player Duke would recruit.

Outside of the last play where he hurled up a 3 (he had a player open below the basket for an easy 2) he played very well.

You forgot the score, UConn lost by three points, he had to heave it.