PDA

View Full Version : Nolan Smith -- Attack Mode At All Times

airowe
12-09-2009, 12:59 PM
http://www.fayobserver.com/Articles/2009/12/09/959029

Vincetaylor
12-09-2009, 01:21 PM
Nolan has improved a lot for sure, but we need him to start playing better in games against tougher competition.

dukestheheat
12-09-2009, 03:19 PM
^^^^^

Agreed. He must get into and stay into attack mode versus tougher competition. Yep, and when he does, Duke is just way better.

dth.

SilkyJ
12-09-2009, 04:10 PM
^^^^^

Agreed. He must get into and stay into attack mode versus tougher competition. Yep, and when he does, Duke is just way better.

dth.

Yea, but he's also got to play under control and take smart shots. He can get into the lane and put up 8 foot off-balance leaners, but is that the shot we really want? I'd rather see more of the henderson-esque 12 foot fallaways (which is a shot he definitely has in his bag). IIRC in the UConn game he took and missed maybe a half dozen off balanced shots in the lane from 6-9 feet or so. I'm not sure that's the shot we're looking for from Nolan.

hq2
12-09-2009, 07:04 PM
Totally agree. What was he in one of those games, like 5 for 21? He's gotten better, but he needs to work on it. We need less off balance floaters, and more drive and dish passes to Lance (yes Lance!) and Andre for good square up jumpers. Those are the shots that win games.

ChicagoCrazy84
12-09-2009, 07:16 PM
Is it just me, or is Nolan Smith's game very similar to Gerald Henderson? I know he's probably not as athletic or doesn't have the extra step on his ladder that G does, but I find them very similar. Anyway, like Gerald, I think Nolan still can be streaky and he needs to improve his ball handling. He is a great defender which I like, but he can be better offensively. I am really excited to see him play with KI next year. I think they are going to be really good together, even though they might be a tad undersized.

Poincaré
12-09-2009, 08:40 PM
It seems to me that Nolan is at a crossroads right now. He may turn into the All-ACC performer that we need him to be, or he may end up being merely an effective player with limitations. He already is the latter, so the question is where his ceiling lies.

Now, Coach K has asked Nolan to attack, but is he being asked to play a different role than in the past? I am not sure. K doesn't have positions anyways. Nolan was never really asked to be a distributor. In half-court sets, there is no meaningful difference between a nominal PG and a nominal SG anyways. So what's he really asking Nolan to do? I get the feeling that K's goal is to empower Nolan to make decisions in the moment. It's clear that not everyone has that kind of green light on this team. Nolan has never had that kind of green light before at Duke. My hope is that he can quickly learn what to do with the freedom he has been given. The indecisions and bad decisions may be a part of the process as he learns to be a full-time real-time decision maker (as opposed to somebody like Lance or Zoubs, who are out there to play roles that were preassigned to them)

SilkyJ
12-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Is it just me, or is Nolan Smith's game very similar to Gerald Henderson? I know he's probably not as athletic or doesn't have the extra step on his ladder that G does, but I find them very similar. Anyway, like Gerald, I think Nolan still can be streaky and he needs to improve his ball handling. He is a great defender which I like, but he can be better offensively. I am really excited to see him play with KI next year. I think they are going to be really good together, even though they might be a tad undersized.

Very similar, I agree. Both are slashers who like to get to the rim and both have good mid range pull up games, though G's was obviously extremely effective last year and we haven't seen Nolan try as many.

Nolan's ball handling is actually pretty good. He's got some serious flash he can showoff if he wants to. I think its his vision and decision making that needs to improve.

Scorp4me
12-10-2009, 04:40 PM
He reminds me much more of DeMarcus Nelson. That's not bad, but not sure it's what we need to lead the team. Fortunately I hope he's not being asked too either.

davekay1971
12-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Watching Nolan develop over the next two years is going to be exciting. I don't think anyone knows where Nolan's ceiling is, at this point. He had a promising freshman year, an up-down-and-up sophomore year interrupted by injury, and so far has demonstrated significant promise this year. I feel like we're just starting to see his potential. Nolan could be an extremely productive player by the time he's done at Duke.

flyingdutchdevil
12-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Watching Nolan develop over the next two years is going to be exciting. I don't think anyone knows where Nolan's ceiling is, at this point. He had a promising freshman year, an up-down-and-up sophomore year interrupted by injury, and so far has demonstrated significant promise this year. I feel like we're just starting to see his potential. Nolan could be an extremely productive player by the time he's done at Duke.

Also completely agree with this. IMO, Nolan can make or break this team. He is the difference between a second round exit and a potential FF appearance. I really think he is that important to us. If he can learn to distribute, he will be the most important guard to us in a long time.

DukieinIndy
12-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Very similar, I agree. Both are slashers who like to get to the rim and both have good mid range pull up games, though G's was obviously extremely effective last year and we haven't seen Nolan try as many.

Nolan's ball handling is actually pretty good. He's got some serious flash he can showoff if he wants to. I think its his vision and decision making that needs to improve.

Excellent point. Remember that it wasn't until after the Michigan game last year that Henderson really took that next step. That was a definitive game for taking a leadership responsibility and knowing that he use his ability to lift the team.

I think that Nolan will have a similar "ah ha!" moment. Hopefully it comes sooner rather than later (if it hasn't already).

NSDukeFan
12-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Also completely agree with this. IMO, Nolan can make or break this team. He is the difference between a second round exit and a potential FF appearance. I really think he is that important to us. If he can learn to distribute, he will be the most important guard to us in a long time.

By long time, do you mean since Jon Scheyer?
I agree that Nolan is very important to our success and hope he continues to look to distribute during penetration (like in the St. John's game) as well as score. As compared to G, I agree they are both good shooters, good at creating shots off the dribble and very good defensively. My impression was that G was a bit bigger and stronger than Nolan, which allowed him to guard bigger players and allowed him to turn the corner better on his moves to the hoop. When G got a step on his defender, I thought he was quite strong and did a great job of going straight to the hoop. I don't know if Nolan has that same strength and may need to beat his defender a bit more to get straight to the basket. IMO

PhillyDuke
12-11-2009, 11:51 PM

I beg to differ. I like Nolan but in my opinion, the jury is still out on him. I hope Nolan has a great year this year, because if he comes back for his senior year, I believe he's going to be in the way. For what it's worth, my gut says next season's backcourt is going to be Dawkins, Irving, and Curry!!

Curry is a fighter, and that's what I like about him. He's going to have a lot to say about those starting guard positions next year. He fought through being overlooked in high school by lighting it up at Liberty. Naysayers say "aaaah, that was against weak competition". Remember, coach K wanted him because he killed the ACC guards he faced. He then fought his way on to the under-19 team, against more heralded competition, and became one of the stars of the team. Now he's fighting to prove he belongs on national stage at Duke.

His story is compelling and reporters and b-ball insiders are curious about him and inquire about him. It's no accident that people are fawning all over him!

airowe
12-12-2009, 10:03 AM
I beg to differ. I like Nolan but in my opinion, the jury is still out on him. I hope Nolan has a great year this year, because if he comes back for his senior year, I believe he's going to be in the way. For what it's worth, my gut says next season's backcourt is going to be Dawkins, Irving, and Curry!!

So, the leading scorer on our team thus far will be in the way of two guys who haven't played a lick of basketball under Coach K? That's a little bit of a stretch don't ya think?

Curry is a fighter, and that's what I like about him. He's going to have a lot to say about those starting guard positions next year. He fought through being overlooked in high school by lighting it up at Liberty. Naysayers say "aaaah, that was against weak competition". Remember, coach K wanted him because he killed the ACC guards he faced. He then fought his way on to the under-19 team, against more heralded competition, and became one of the stars of the team. Now he's fighting to prove he belongs on national stage at Duke.

His story is compelling and reporters and b-ball insiders are curious about him and inquire about him. It's no accident that people are fawning all over him!

I agree that Curry is an amazing talent, but I just don't see him displacing a Senior Smith or Sophomore Dawkins at SG. Besides, Curry has been playing the point on the White team in practice for a reason. If he does, that will be a wonderful problem to have. Our backcourt is going to be loaded next year.

dukestheheat
12-12-2009, 10:34 AM

....hang on there now! No way Nolan will be in the way when he returns for his senior year (he'll be back) and our backcourt will have many options at that time. As you know, on Duke, no one is guaranteed playing time. Each player has to fight it out in practice to get off the pine and on the floor at gametime, and I suspect that this will remain the case next year.

Nolan is this year's wild card and I do believe that our degree of success resides somewhat with him; when he's aggressive and attacking that basket, Duke is a very tough out. When he's pensive and rather hesitant shooting and passing, we are more on the average level but still competitive.

Go Nolan and let's GO DUKE!

dukestheheat.

PS Yes, I am somewhat biased because I'm the unofficial and fully, totally UNrecognized (and underpaid I might add, right here at CHRISTMAS TIME!) President of the DBR Nolan Smith Fan Club, but that gives me the right to say all this stuff.

phaedrus
12-12-2009, 12:01 PM
I agree that Curry is an amazing talent, but I just don't see him displacing a Senior Smith or Sophomore Dawkins at SG.

Why don't you see Curry "displacing" Dawkins? It seems like he's at least as good a shooter and probably a better all-around player (offensively, at least). He'll also have an additional year of D1 basketball, even if we're just "talkin bout practice".

airowe
12-12-2009, 12:18 PM
Why don't you see Curry "displacing" Dawkins? It seems like he's at least as good a shooter and probably a better all-around player (offensively, at least). He'll also have an additional year of D1 basketball, even if we're just "talkin bout practice".

I honestly think Curry and Irving will split time at point guard with Dawkins and Smith playing more SG.

Depending on Kyle returning, Dawkins could move over to lay some at the SF position too if we went with a small lineup...

Kedsy
12-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Depending on Kyle returning, Dawkins could move over to lay some at the SF position too if we went with a small lineup...

Your latter scenario is what I think we'll see an awful lot of, unless Kyle comes back (which I know you think is highly possible but I think is a very long shot). I believe next year we'll be playing mostly a three guard offense with Kyrie, Nolan, Seth, and Andre getting most of the minutes and Tyler backing them up.

If we're playing a team who plays a "3" who is too large or too strong for Andre or Nolan to guard, that's when Ryan or Josh or Olek will have to step up, although I think all three of them will mostly be playing as one of the second big men along with the three guards. The two MPs will of course also play one of the two big man slots.

Now, if we get Roscoe Smith or Trey Zeigler or TaShawn Mabry, then things may change a bit because if these guys earn minutes it would probably be at the "3" (or maybe the "4," and of course that assumes Duke plays positions which we all know isn't true).

But my point is there should be plenty of minutes for all four of Kyrie, Nolan, Seth, and Andre.

PhillyDuke
12-12-2009, 04:02 PM
Coach K benched Greg Paulus for Nolan, which was HUGE!!! Then coach benched Paulus for Elliott Williams, whose role was to play defense. IF Curry becomes a decent defender this current season , he'll be too good to sit on the bench. I just believe that in a head-to-head battle for a guard spot; Curry wins out over Smith. Like I said, for me the jury is still out on Nolan. Based on his body of work, I'm not ready to annoint him as "the man" on our team, yet.

Speaking of Elliott, where was all that offense last year?

Kedsy
12-12-2009, 04:15 PM
Coach K benched Greg Paulus for Nolan, which was HUGE!!! Then coach benched Paulus for Elliott Williams, whose role was to play defense. IF Curry becomes a decent defender this current season , he'll be too good to sit on the bench. I just believe that in a head-to-head battle for a guard spot; Curry wins out over Smith. Like I said, for me the jury is still out on Nolan. Based on his body of work, I'm not ready to annoint him as "the man" on our team, yet.

As I said in a previous post, there will be plenty of playing time for all four of Kyrie, Nolan, Seth, and Andre. This will not be a scenario like last year when Greg was for all intents and purposes replaced in the rotation by Elliott. All four guards next year should get starter's minutes.

If all you're talking about is who starts the games, then (a) I personally don't think it matters, because they'll all get starter's minutes; and (b) Nolan, as a senior, is more likely to get the nod than either Seth or Andre at the start of the year. As the season progresses, I can envision a very hard fought competition among the four guards for what I believe will be the three starting guard positions. From game to game we could see several combinations starting in those three positions, but the fourth guy will probably be the first player off the bench.

As far as Nolan being "the man," he will probably be our only senior (with only Olek and MP2 as juniors), and that experience alone will make him more or less "the man," whether he's our top statistical player or not. It's also why he's most likely to be a starter, at the very least early in the year.

(When I say the "four guards" I am not including Tyler Thornton, who I think will play some but as a (non-top 10) freshman will almost certainly not start and will be somewhat unlikely to get all that many minutes in a crowded guard rotation. It's possible Tyler surprises all of us, and that would be a great problem to have.)

ForeverBlowingBubbles
12-12-2009, 05:18 PM

Speaking of Elliott, where was all that offense last year?

Elliot was out there primarily as a defensive stopper and would usually defer to Jon and Kyle on the offensive end. When he would look for his own shot, it seemed like he would sometimes be pulled.

I think you can make a case that Duke should have called his number a bit more often and given him a bit more freedom to operate on the offensive end.