PDA

View Full Version : Duke vs. Kentucky

allenmurray
12-07-2009, 06:38 PM
For all you Durham folks. I just got back from Backyard BBQ Pit #2 (on Guess Road, just south of Carver Street). Wow! That is some damn fine 'Que. The chopped pork was everything BBQ is supposed to be. Just the right amount of vinegar and pepper to make it spicy, but not so much as to keep the sweetness of the pork from coming through. It reminded me of why I can never leave NC. As a frined once said to me at a pig-picking, "that BBQ is good enough to make you forget to call your mamma on her birthday."

The sides were really good. The slaw was quite sweet (which is how I like it, but it might be too sweet for some). The mac and cheese was baked, and obviously home-made. The sweet potatoes were great (and also obviously home made). The BBQ chicken was excellent (I only had a bite - they give out samples to those like me who are obviously having a hard time deciding). The beef briskit was average (but my standards are really high having spent a fair bit of time in the beef BBQ capital of the world, Austin Texas).

The place on Guess Road is fairly new. They've had another place on Hwy 55 (just south of NCCU) for a number of years, but I don't venture down that way much. However, the one on Guess Road, being only about 4 miles from my house, and on my regular commute, will be causing me to put my cardiologist on speed dial.

Oh, one more thing. When you enter the place you are greeted by a sign that reads "Blue Devil Blvd.

Tim1515
12-07-2009, 06:40 PM
I think Duke would win :)

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-07-2009, 06:42 PM
For all you Durham folks. I just got back from Backyard BBQ Pit #2 (on Guess Road, just south of Carver Street). Wow! That is some damn fine 'Que. The chopped pork was everything BBQ is supposed to be. Just the right amount of vinegar and pepper to make it spicy, but not so much as to keep the sweetness of the pork from coming through. It reminded me of why I can never leave NC. As a frined once said to me at a pig-picking, "that BBQ is good enough to make you forget to call your mamma on her birthday."

The sides were really good. The slaw was quite sweet (which is how I like it, but it might be too sweet for some). The mac and cheese was baked, and obviously home-made. The sweet potatoes were great (and also obviously home made). The BBQ chicken was excellent (I only had a bite - they give out samples to those like me who are obviously having a hard time deciding). The beef briskit was average (but my standards are really high having spent a fair bit of time in the beef BBQ capital of the world, Austin Texas).

The place on Guess Road is fairly new. They've had another place on Hwy 55 (just south of NCCU) for a number of years, but I don't venture down that way much. However, the one on Guess Road, being only about 4 miles from my house, and on my regular commute, will be causing me to put my cardiologist on speed dial.

Oh, one more thing. When you enter the place you are greeted by a sign that reads "Blue Devil Blvd.

I was in Durham today. Had I known about this place, it would have been my choice for lunch!

allenmurray
12-07-2009, 06:42 PM
I think Duke would win :)

Can someone please explain the thread title to Tim1515. I'm too busy - I have some leftover BBQ to go finish up!

Tim1515
12-07-2009, 06:49 PM
Can someone please explain the thread title to Tim1515. I'm too busy - I have some leftover BBQ to go finish up!

An explanation would be greatly appreciated...thanks

On a side note...i've had tastykakes in New Mexico that taste a lot like tastykakes in Pennsylvania.

roywhite
12-07-2009, 07:06 PM
An explanation would be greatly appreciated...thanks

"Duke vs Kentucky" thread title = discussion of barbeque.

Exactly how that came to be, I don't know, but it's been that way for a good while.

And it belongs on the main category of the board (Elizabeth King Forum), not on the Off Topic board. Why? Probably because the topic generates as much enthusiasm and passion as Duke Basketball itself.

airowe
12-07-2009, 07:08 PM

I live right around the corner from Pit #2. Great people in there. And you're right about the food.

juise
12-07-2009, 07:11 PM
"Duke vs Kentucky" thread title = discussion of barbeque.

Exactly how that came to be, I don't know, but it's been that way for a good while.

And it belongs on the main category of the board (Elizabeth King Forum), not on the Off Topic board. Why? Probably because the topic generates as much enthusiasm and passion as Duke Basketball itself.

I was in the process of posting an almost identical response. I was surprised that this practice was not explicitly mentioned in the handy pocket reference.

allenmurray
12-07-2009, 07:18 PM
A while back (years) a poster once complained that posts were drifting so far off-topic that you could open a thread on the main board titled Duke vs. Kentucky, only to find it was about BBQ.

It was then decreed by a moderator (who I believe was James Armstrong, a co-owner, and former moderator of the site) that from that time forward ALL posts about BBQ would be titled Duke vs. Kentucky, and that they would always be on-topic.

As it was in the begining, is now, and ever shall be, Pig without end. Amen. Amen.

allenmurray
12-07-2009, 07:20 PM
I live right around the corner from Pit #2. Great people in there. And you're right about the food.

I should have mentioned that as well, the people there were incredibly friendly.

Olympic Fan
12-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Nice to hear of a new 'que place.

Question: Did you check out the ribs?

I continue my futile quest for a Triangle restaurant that does a decent spare rib. Ever since Danny's in Cary switched over to those inferior St. Louis cut ribs, I've been without a decent rib place.

The only place left that does spare ribs is Bullocks -- and theirs are overcooked and smothered in sweet sauce.

If you like baby backs or St. Louis cut rubs, fine (for you). But I hunger for the real thing and I can't find it anywhere in Durham, Raleigh or Chapel Hill.

devildeac
12-07-2009, 07:39 PM

You called?

J.Blink
12-07-2009, 09:05 PM
I was picking up food from the original location a year or so ago when State was playing Carolina in football ... a cheer went up when State won. It was great.

Johnboy
12-07-2009, 09:12 PM
A while back (years) a poster once complained that posts were drifting so far off-topic that you could open a thread on the main board titled Duke vs. Kentucky, only to find it was about BBQ.

It was then decreed by a moderator (who I believe was James Armstrong, a co-owner, and former moderator of the site) that from that time forward ALL posts about BBQ would be titled Duke vs. Kentucky, and that they would always be on-topic.

As it was in the begining, is now, and ever shall be, Pig without end. Amen. Amen.

IIRC, it was about the time when the Off-topic board was created that Jason Evans posted about the extreme subject drift and gave the example of a thread entitled "Duke vs. Kentucky" being about barbecue. I posted the first thread entitled "Duke v. Kentucky" that was about barbecue from the outset just to tweak him a little bit. It stuck, to say the least <virtual high-five to Evans>. J, J & B did decide at that time that barbecue was always on-topic. The thread naming was not made mandatory.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-07-2009, 09:16 PM
Question: Did you check out the ribs?

I continue my futile quest for a Triangle restaurant that does a decent spare rib. Ever since Danny's in Cary switched over to those inferior St. Louis cut ribs, I've been without a decent rib place.

The only place left that does spare ribs is Bullocks -- and theirs are overcooked and smothered in sweet sauce.

If you like baby backs or St. Louis cut rubs, fine (for you). But I hunger for the real thing and I can't find it anywhere in Durham, Raleigh or Chapel Hill.
The Pit in Raleigh. http://www.thepit-raleigh.com/ Ed Mitchell's place. Great ribs. Great Q. Great food. DD and I reviewed it here a couple of years ago. I've had the baby back ribs and not the spare ribs, but I guarantee you the are fabulous.

allenmurray
12-07-2009, 09:26 PM
The Pit in Raleigh. http://www.thepit-raleigh.com/ Ed Mitchell's place. Great ribs. Great Q. Great food. DD and I reviewed it here a couple of years ago. I've had the baby back ribs and not the spare ribs, but I guarantee you the are fabulous.

I agree on the ribs at The Pit - I htink they are fabulous. However, I have friends who really know their way around a hog who don't like them at all (even though they love everything else Ed does). I've found his ribs to be a "love 'em or hate 'em" proposition.

DownEastDevil
12-07-2009, 09:37 PM

I agree with you Ozzie, Ed know's what to do with a hog. He had a place here in Wilson before he moved to Raleigh. When my son got married he cooked a whole pig for us to serve at a party we gave him. We have Parkers and Bills here but I always liked Mitchell's better.

devildeac
12-07-2009, 09:57 PM

I agree on the ribs at The Pit - I htink they are fabulous. However, I have friends who really know their way around a hog who don't like them at all (even though they love everything else Ed does). I've found his ribs to be a "love 'em or hate 'em" proposition.

We dined there recently and still found the baby back ribs to be superb. Along with his melt-in-your-mouth beef brisket (darn near as good as Val's beef brisket ;) and that's NOT just crazietalk:D), the chopped is also excellent. It's a bit spendy but is an "upscale" BBQ joint and has a very nice beer selection, too.

He did win a "throwdown" recently in Raleigh, besting Bobby Flay who tried to pass off some St. Louis ribs (IIRC) as championship quality that had been rubbed and spiced and marinated and who knows what else were done to them.

Bob Green
12-07-2009, 10:28 PM
It is lunch time in Japan and I have no 'Que. :( These threads always make me so hungry. Over the years, I've perfected a decent imitation chopped Eastern NC style BBQ recipe, but it pales when compared to the real stuff. Of course, I was able to gorge myself during my recent visit to NC. :)

moonpie23
12-08-2009, 12:37 AM
i hesitate to jump in on this, but.....the "fine art" of putting vinegar on a pig and calling it "que" is just wrong..

give me some thick red ketchup-based sauce smothering everything and you've got it made.....texas, kansas city, memphis......

If you're up for putting your vinegar-pig to the taste test, try SHANES RIB SHACK in raleigh behind Triangle Town Center (across from WORLD MARKET).

it's like broadband.....you'll never go back to dial up...

ps...the other best q is on my deck.... :)

NovaScotian
12-08-2009, 01:11 AM
have any of y'all been to the barbecue joint off estes on the way to chapel hill? the meat there is ok (i'm a recent vegetarian), but the sides are simply off the chain. also, the ribs at mama dip's on rosemary in ch are making me consider my decision.

also, kentucky by 5.

ricks68
12-08-2009, 01:18 AM
Never smother good Texas BBQ with a thick ketchup sauce. Nooooooooooooo.............:eek:
And by the way, the Official capital of Texas is Austin. The Official capital of Texas BBQ is Lockhart.

ricks

madscavenger
12-08-2009, 02:18 AM
Sorry my friends, but

When it comes to that thing,
ole Rick is the King.
Its Lockhart you know
baby, win place AND show.

flyingdutchdevil
12-08-2009, 06:32 AM
I have a feeling that the vinager-based que (Carolina) vs the tomato-based que (Texas) could produce a more heated battle than Duke vs Carolina on this forum ;)

OZZIE4DUKE
12-08-2009, 07:00 AM
I have a feeling that the vinager-based que (Carolina) vs the tomato-based que (Texas) could produce a more heated battle than Duke vs Carolina on this forum
I like them both. The Q's, not the teams. ;):cool::D

mgtr
12-08-2009, 07:04 AM
I have, from time to time, wondered what it would have been like to attend Duke. However, now that I know that you ruin your que with vinegar, I am glad I went in the other direction. The best, by far, I have ever had was in Memphis.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-08-2009, 07:06 AM
I agree with you Ozzie, Ed know's what to do with a hog. He had a place here in Wilson before he moved to Raleigh. When my son got married he cooked a whole pig for us to serve at a party we gave him. We have Parkers and Bills here but I always liked Mitchell's better.
I ate at Ed's (newer, but long closed "Mitchell's") Wilson restaurant many times. The one in the 2-story cinder block building on 301. It was a buffet serving line, and you could order just the meats and not have to get the veggies. I like veggies, but didn't want to fill up with them when I had baby backs and chopped Q on the plate :D

allenmurray
12-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Just in case any of you haven't seen it yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubTQfr_tyY

When my life is through,
Bury me in Bar-b-Que,
But make sure its vinegar based,
Cuz' you know that slows decay,
And its the style from our home state.

And what is this talk about Texas BBQ havng ketchup? In Texas the real BBQ is beef briskit - served smoked and with no sauce (some of the better BBQ joints in Texas do not even have any sauce in the place, and if you ask for any they will come out from behind the pit and kick your a** - and rightfully so).

allenmurray
12-08-2009, 09:00 AM
Never smother good Texas BBQ with a thick ketchup sauce. Nooooooooooooo.............:eek:
And by the way, the Official capital of Texas is Austin. The Official capital of Texas BBQ is Lockhart.
ricks

You are absolutely correct - and I have my Black's BBQ t-shirt to prove it!

I said Austin for two reasons: 1) most people have never heard of Lockhart, and 2) While both of the good in Lockhart (Blacks' and Kruez - I don't count Chisolm or Smitty's) are a 10 on the 1 - 10 Texas BBQ scale they are the only two places. In Austin you can't turn around without finding a place that rates an 8 or a 9 on virtually every corner.

77devil
12-08-2009, 09:29 AM
My wife just returned from visting her family in Danville, VA with 2 pints of Que. Not the same as being there but, yes, we in the North are forced to make sacrifices. Then again, we in Philly have cheesesteakes and Tastykakes going for us. Which is nice.

roywhite
12-08-2009, 09:38 AM
My wife just returned from visting her family in Danville, VA with 2 pints of Que. Not the same as being there but, yes, we in the North are forced to make sacrifices. Then again, we in Philly have cheesesteakes and Tastykakes going for us. Which is nice.

Not to hijack this thread, but what are your favorite places for cheesesteaks, 77? Are the big names Pat's and Geno's good, or are there better choices?

airowe
12-08-2009, 09:46 AM
Not to hijack this thread, but what are your favorite places for cheesesteaks, 77? Are the big names Pat's and Geno's good, or are there better choices?

I went to a place called John's Roast Pork in the industrial district just by the river. If you haven't been yet, make it a destination.

77devil
12-08-2009, 10:08 AM

Stay away from Pat's and Geno's despite what you may have heard to the contrary. I dislike them both because how they prepare the meat, and because they cater to the touristas. In fairness though, they have there legion of local fans. Like Que, finding the best cheesesteak is a bit of a journey and everyone is entitled to their preference. Half the fun, of course, is seeking the "holy grail."

Downtown, I prefer Jim's, but if you are willing to venture 10 miles north to a real neighborhood mecca, and my personal favorite, try Dalessandro's in Roxboro. Hasn't changed in 50 years.

DukeUsul
12-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Stay away from Pat's and Geno's despite what you may have heard to the contrary. I dislike them both because how they prepare the meat, and because they cater to the touristas. In fairness though, they have there legion of local fans. Like Que, finding the best cheesesteak is a bit of a journey and everyone is entitled to their preference. Half the fun, of course, is seeking the "holy grail."

Downtown, I prefer Jim's, but if you are willing to venture 10 miles north to a real neighborhood mecca, and my personal favorite, try Dalessandro's in Roxboro. Hasn't changed in 50 years.

Agreed on Jim's. Their place on south street is great. Also good is Tony Luke's.

Cobbeth
12-08-2009, 10:58 AM
I must say, having grown up in NC and lived there until I was 28, I loved NC BBQ. However......da-da-daaaaaaaaaah, I live in Greenville, SC now and I have become a SC BBQ lover now. Amongst my friends I am known as the BBQ snob. ONly the best for me. No, no I don't like the mustard sauce, but I do enjoy the good Q here and the sauce. For any of you who travel to the upstate, be sure to go to Smokin Stokes on Augusta St. The best BBQ and ribs in the state. Wow. Oh and don't forget to try the Cheerwine BBQ Sauce on your Q. One last thing, try the BBQ Baked Potato too. It's just a huge baked potato with all the fixins as well as half a lb of BBQ on top. OK, am going there for lunch now.

Channing
12-08-2009, 12:01 PM
looking for BBQ in Philly?

http://jimmysbbq.com/cms/map-and-directions

madscavenger
12-08-2009, 12:11 PM
I have a feeling that the vinager-based que (Carolina) vs the tomato-based que (Texas) could produce a more heated battle than Duke vs Carolina on this forum ;)

No sauce on the brisket at all my friend, in Lockhart; home of the best que, even for you. Visit Kreuz Market yourself. Better yet, take some of your friends. Throw a curve to the vinegar-bent ;) , and threaten with Fredo those who like tomato :D .

mph
12-08-2009, 02:14 PM

ricks

ricks knows his Texas Q. Last time I was in Austin, we drove to Lockhart and did Kreuz, Smitty's, and Black's in a 2 day period. Kreuz's brisket is so good we hit is a second time. The meat at each of these places is so good you wouldn't think about covering it in sauce.

I'm going back down to Austin in early February and this time I'm getting up early on Saturday morning and making the trip to Snow's in Lexington. It's only open on Saturday and the 1200 pounds of meat they cook is usually gone by 10 AM. Texas Monthly calls it the best Q in Texas. Here's another review (http://fcg-bbq.blogspot.com/2009/03/snows-bbq.html) from a great website (http://fcg-bbq.blogspot.com/).

allenmurray
12-08-2009, 02:26 PM
ricks knows his Texas Q. Last time I was in Austin, we drove to Lockhart and did Kreuz, Smitty's, and Black's in a 2 day period. Kreuz's brisket is so good we hit is a second time. The meat at each of these places is so good you wouldn't think about covering it in sauce.

I'm going back down to Austin in early February and this time I'm getting up early on Saturday morning and making the trip to Snow's in Lexington. It's only open on Saturday and the 1200 pounds of meat they cook is usually gone by 10 AM. Texas Monthly calls it the best Q in Texas. Here's another review (http://fcg-bbq.blogspot.com/2009/03/snows-bbq.html) from a great website (http://fcg-bbq.blogspot.com/).

NPR did a great story on Snows as well. I remember reading an article where the woman who owns was quoted as saying she wishes she had never gotten the publicity. She is thinking of closing because of her distress that she can't serve her long-time local customers.

devildeac
12-08-2009, 05:52 PM

I have a 2nd cousin who live in Filly and she would not let me go to the above 2 places (tourist joints) and directed me to Jim's at 4th and South. Mighty fine.

Paging Turk...

That pork place that one of the other posters mentioned may also be the one Turk described a few months ago here or to me in a PM. Or, that could just be crazietalk...;)

Paging Turk...

devildeac
12-08-2009, 05:54 PM
looking for BBQ in Philly?

http://jimmysbbq.com/cms/map-and-directions

Yep, that's the joint that Turk described/linked a few months back. Thanks.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-08-2009, 06:05 PM

I have a 2nd cousin who live in Filly and she would not let me go to the above 2 places (tourist joints) and directed me to Jim's at 4th and South. Mighty fine.

Paging Turk...

That pork place that one of the other posters mentioned may also be the one Turk described a few months ago here or to me in a PM. Or, that could just be crazietalk...;)

Paging Turk...
Best cheesesteak I've ever had, and DD agrees, is at Sami's Pizza in Selma, NC, on the southeast corner of I-95 exit #97. Jeff, the owner, is from Syracuse, NY. Sami is his son. They also have phenomenal lasagna and the pizza is first rate.

mickeysgotagun
12-08-2009, 06:19 PM
Good god am I hungry now after reading this thread. Definitely eating some barbeque next time I head to a restaurant. Hate to hijack the thread but, since you guys seem pretty knowledgeable, does anyone know a good place to get Peking Duck in the triangle area?

DukeUsul
12-08-2009, 08:43 PM
Best cheesesteak I've ever had, and DD agrees, is at Sami's Pizza in Selma, NC, on the southeast corner of I-95 exit #97. Jeff, the owner, is from Syracuse, NY. Sami is his son. They also have phenomenal lasagna and the pizza is first rate.

I still can't believe this. We need to get a crazie crew of Philadelphians to come try it out. I just can't buy it.

roywhite
12-08-2009, 08:50 PM
I still can't believe this. We need to get a crazie crew of Philadelphians to come try it out. I just can't buy it.

Pedro sez: You can't beat the food on I-95. :)

I'm a little skeptical, but Ozzie and devildeac seldom steer us wrong.

77devil
12-08-2009, 09:34 PM

With all due respect to Ozzie and DD, they has never been to Dalesandros. Year end and year out for decades, Philadelphians have declared Daleos the best or one of the best steaks in the area. There's no way a guy from Syracuse can make a better cheesesteak than Philly's best; and unless he's getting roles fresh everyday from Amoroso Bakery in Philadelphia, well then, there's just no basis for discussion. ;)

I'm not making the drive to Selma, although if I am ever near there for some other reason, I'll check it out and report.

DukeUsul
12-08-2009, 09:59 PM
With all due respect to Ozzie and DD, they has never been to Dalesandros. Year end and year out for decades, Philadelphians have declared Daleos the best or one of the best steaks in the area. There's no way a guy from Syracuse can make a better cheesesteak than Philly's best; and unless he's getting roles fresh everyday from Amoroso Bakery in Philadelphia, well then, there's just no basis for discussion. ;)

I'm not making the drive to Selma, although if I am ever near there for some other reason, I'll check it out and report.

Quoted for truth. The rolls make the cheesesteak.

Welcome2DaSlopes
12-08-2009, 10:16 PM
The best cheesecake is at http://www.juniorscheesecake.com/. Anyone who has been there will agree.

airowe
12-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Good god am I hungry now after reading this thread. Definitely eating some barbeque next time I head to a restaurant. Hate to hijack the thread but, since you guys seem pretty knowledgeable, does anyone know a good place to get Peking Duck in the triangle area?

This place has an unbelievable Tea-Smoked Duck.

http://redpalacenc.com/

If you've never had it, it's amazing. I'll look for a Peking Duck place.

ricks68
12-09-2009, 12:30 AM
This is sacrilegious. Duke vs. Kentucky is only about BBQ.:eek:

If this is allowed to continue, it will eventually lead to Stone Crabs.

Then, what is there left but to search for what is in-between?

Dumplings at the jiaotze dumpling restaurant in Xi'an? Bread pudding at the Mirage in Las Vegas, Palace Cafe in NOLA, or Indika's in Houston? Smoked Snook? Any real delicatessen food? 300 year old Balsamic vinegar over homemade ice cream? A Muffaletta sandwich from Central Grocery? Or, just about any half decent sampling from scores of restaurants in San Francisco (Gary Danko is my favorite only because I haven't eaten at all of them-------but then, I keep trying.)? Cioppino at Phil's Fish Market in Moss landing? Any sandwich from Compagno's Market and Deli in Monterey that you can split with 3 other people while stopped on the beach on 17 Mile Drive on the way to Pebble Beach? And what about including a Painkiller from Pusser's on Tortola or a Goombay Smash at the outdoor bar at the Atlantis next to the pyramid slide that Jason went down? Or, just about any kind of beer while sitting outside listening to the music in Luckenbach?

There's certainly more, but this is supposed to be only a BBQ thread. So, let's keep it that way, O.K.?:p

ricks

ricks68
12-09-2009, 01:33 AM
I have tried to get up early enough to get to Snow's before they will probably run out, but it's about a 2 1/2 hour drive for me and I haven't the guts to risk it, yet. I know I will find a way, eventually. But then, Kreuz Market is about 10 minutes closer, and I know I can make it there in plenty of time.

While strickly a Kreuz person (you are either a Kreuz person or a Black's person), I have to admit that the sausage rings at Chisholm Trail have been consistently better the past few years. (I'm sorry, but I just can't seem to be able to tolerate the cafeteria line, trays, plates, side dishes and utensils at Black's.) Smitty's stole the sausage maker guy (and the recipe) from Kreuz's before the move. Combine that with the original smokers that have been around forever (The place has been around just short of 110 years, now. Yes, I said 110 years!) and it's hard not to believe that the meat tastes just about the same as it did when it was Kreuz Market.

I think the one thing I got used to after moving to Texas almost 35 years ago, is that distance is just a state of mind. It's almost never too far to travel for good food. While the greatest Texas BBQ is just a few hours or so away, New Orleans is only about 6. Most of the rest is even a closer airline flight away---as long as it is in the continental US.

So, as far as NC BBQ is concerned, as I have said before, don't waste your time at the vastly inferior Allen & Son's because it is so close by. Take a short hour plus drive to Lexington #1 and get the coarse cut with some of the outside brown. Then, be really adventurous and take the trip to Asheville and hit 12 Bones in the River Arts District. Someone other than myself, and the latest that resides in the White House, has to try this place and report in. (That location is not open on Saturdays or Sundays, and only for lunch, so they opened another in south Asheville that is open also on Saturdays.) Get the ribs, too, with a number of sides. For 6 bucks a plate for pulled pork and two very large sides, add a few baby back ribs, and two of you can chow down with incredible tasting BBQ and sides. Now, I don't know if the second location is as good as the first, so try to hit it on a weekday. Also, they have mustard-based, vinegar-based, and tomato-based sauces available.) The mashed sweet taters, mack n cheese, corn pudding, and jalepeno cheese grits, along with the corn bread, are my favorite sides so far. The baby backed ribs have different flavored basting sauces, and are the reason for their high rating among BBQ aficionados. (That's what got them on Good Morning America just after they opened a few years ago.) Don't get overly critical about the pulled pork, however, as the ribs make that pale by comparison, and may be a major distraction. Oh, and don't mind the line that often gets really long just before noon. They have misters for the really hot days. I don't know if they have heaters for the winter, but I wouldn't put it past them.:D

http://www.12bones.com

ricks

PumpkinFunk
12-09-2009, 01:53 AM
As a relative youngin who has only ever been to Bullocks, what's the best Que near Duke (as in, Durham/Chapel Hell)? I like Bullocks and it's great for big groups, but at some point, I'd like to try something different from Bullocks.

airowe
12-09-2009, 08:15 AM
As a relative youngin who has only ever been to Bullocks, what's the best Que near Duke (as in, Durham/Chapel Hell)? I like Bullocks and it's great for big groups, but at some point, I'd like to try something different from Bullocks.

Check allenmurray's post at the beginning of this thread. Backyard BBQ on Guess Rd. North of 85. Other people like The Pit on Davie St in Raleigh, but you better bring your wallet. If you're in downtown Raleigh and don't have a whole lot of money, stop by Cooper's BBQ. It's an old lunch counter and hasn't changed a bit since segregation days.

Another place I've never been before but my Dad has often frequented is Holden's BBQ just off 401 North of Raleigh. It's a hle in the wall off the highway, but you'll always see a bunch of tractor trailers, cop cars, and big trucks out front, so they must be doing something right.

hughgs
12-09-2009, 08:19 AM

Just start trying them and see what you like. I was introduced to BBQ in Texas and never saw the appeal until I came to NC. My mother-in-law was the complete opposite.

I think the closest place to you is the Q Shack. Take 751 South (Academy), take a left on Business 15-501 and it's on the right. My 4 year old loves it the 2 meat meal with fries and green beans. My vegetarian wife loves the salad and hush puppies.

After that you can check out Allen & Son's. Take 751 North to the circle. Do a 270 onto Old Erwin. Take a right onto Mt. Sinai and it's a few miles down the road where Mt. Sinai intersects with Old 86.

Now stop wasting time posting and get back to your finals!

sagegrouse
12-09-2009, 08:41 AM
This is probably for a later thread on national versions of BBQ.

I was visiting an industrial company in Phoenix and was invited to the noon "barbecue" they were holding for the employees out behind the plant.

Hmmm. I wonder what this will be?

Well, it was delicious carne asada -- flank steak sliced thin or flap meat charred with a peppery marinade. Served, of course, on flour tortillas with onions and japapenos available. I seem to recall beans and slaw as sides.

Don't know if this is a normal applciation of the term BBQ in the Valley of the Sun, but I'll be happy to join in the next time I'm invited.

sagegrouse

OZZIE4DUKE
12-09-2009, 08:48 AM
Quoted for truth. The rolls make the cheesesteak.

Come on down! I (and probably DD) will meet you there!

Pedro sez: You can't beat the food on I-95. :)

I'm a little skeptical, but Ozzie and devildeac seldom steer us wrong.
Thank you!

Come on down! I (and probably DD) will meet you there!

I love a good roll for the sake of a good roll, but when it comes to cheesesteaks, I'm in it for the blend of flavors that the meat, cheese, peppers, onions, mushrooms, salt and pepper give me. I could care less about the roll, which is just a carrier. Not at Sami's, but I've been known to order the cheesesteak without the bread, if nothing else, to not get filled up by it.

Next time I'm in Philly (and it might be years, I have no idea), I'd love to try Dalesandros. I wish you guys would have piped up 18 months ago when I started a thread "where to eat cheesesteaks in Philly" when I was heading up there. I reviewed both Pats and Genos, neither of which I thought held a candle to Sami's, and boy, was I disappointed.

OK, my apologies to 77Devil. I just searched for the thread
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8259&highlight=philadelphia+cheesesteaks
and he DID make this recommendation

Ozzie:

Forget Geno's and Pat's. They are for the tourists, although you will get a lot of debate among the locals. D'Alessandros is better. It's North of downtown near the corner of Henry Ave. and Walnut Lane if you can get there.Sorry I missed it and didn't take your recommendation! Mea culpa.

stillcrazie
12-09-2009, 09:03 AM
The Chapel Hill Whole Foods has an entire smoked meat hot bar that is worth checking out. They list the type of wood used in the smoker that day: hickory, cherry, mesquite, etc. There is always a big tray of juicy brisket along with a couple of varieties of pulled pork. They often have habanero smoked chicken wings and BBQ brisket burgers. They also sell whole smoked chickens for 7.99. My favorite side is the chipotle glazed sweet potatoes, and you can get traditional mac and cheese from the hot bar.

Everything I've had from the smoked bar is amazing, including Brunswick stew and brisket chili, which are full of meat smoked on the premises.

77devil
12-09-2009, 09:13 AM
Next time I'm in Philly (and it might be years, I have no idea), I'd love to try Dalesandros. I wish you guys would have piped up 18 months ago when I started a thread "where to eat cheesesteaks in Philly" when I was heading up there. I reviewed both Pats and Genos, neither of which I thought held a candle to Sami's, and boy, was I disappointed.

OK, my apologies to 77Devil. I just searched for the thread
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8259&highlight=philadelphia+cheesesteaks
and he DID make this recommendation
Sorry I missed it and didn't take your recommendation! Mea culpa.

No apologies necessary Ozzie, and when you come, let me know, and I'll take you.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-09-2009, 09:18 AM
No apologies necessary Ozzie, and when you come, let me know, and I'll take you.
Deal!:cool::D

Taco
12-09-2009, 09:31 AM
If you're in downtown Raleigh and don't have a whole lot of money, stop by Cooper's BBQ. It's an old lunch counter and hasn't changed a bit since segregation days.

The Pit is good, especially if you're with folk who need impressing, but I absolutely love Cooper's. No fuss, no foolin, just delicious pork. Definitely my kind of venue :p

I think the closest place to you is the Q Shack. Take 751 South (Academy), take a left on Business 15-501 and it's on the right. My 4 year old loves it the 2 meat meal with fries and green beans. My vegetarian wife loves the salad and hush puppies.

I'm a pretty big Q Shack fan ... you just gotta make sure you pick the right sauce, as they do have the silly tomato stuff on the table along with the vinegar dip. Also, if you don't pick their fried okra as one of your sides, you're missing out.

Taco
12-09-2009, 10:07 AM
I can't seem to edit my previous post for some reason, but I thought I'd add that Q-Shack's pork is pulled and not "chopped" in what I believe is the more traditional Eastern NC style - just in case you're some kind of purist. Also, to give this thread a bit more of a Duke tilt, I once saw Kyle, Nolan & Taylor King dining there once when they were all freshmen.

Edit: hrm, I can edit this one for some reason? Maybe it has something to with multi-quote ... learned something today.

Anyway I thought I'd also point out that ricks has us driving all the way out to Lexington and Asheville earlier in this page but seems to have missed my all-time favorite place - Wilber's Barbecue (http://www.wilbersbarbecue.com/) in Goldsboro. Swing by next time you're driving out to the beach, it's probably only a little bit out of your way and worth the trip.

hughgs
12-09-2009, 11:20 AM
The Pit is good, especially if you're with folk who need impressing, but I absolutely love Cooper's. No fuss, no foolin, just delicious pork. Definitely my kind of venue :p

I'm a pretty big Q Shack fan ... you just gotta make sure you pick the right sauce, as they do have the silly tomato stuff on the table along with the vinegar dip. Also, if you don't pick their fried okra as one of your sides, you're missing out.

Forgot about the fried okra, another of my wife's favorites.

When it comes to the meal I let my son order. He's very so he orders the same thing every time. Which is fine with me, since he gets the turkey and pulled pork as his meat.

As for editing posts I think there's a time limit.

moonpie23
12-09-2009, 12:25 PM
i was so disappointed with the Q shack at North Hills that i left mid-dinner and went to SHANE'S Rib Shack at triangle town mall....

allenmurray
12-09-2009, 03:21 PM
i was so disappointed with the Q shack at North Hills that i left mid-dinner and went to SHANE'S Rib Shack at triangle town mall....

The one in Raleigh (and the now defunct one in Carrboro) are not affiliated with the original on University Blvd. in Durham. The divorce was ugly, and the franchisees got to keep the name (hence the original now being called "The Original Que Shack" instead of simply the Que Shack. My understanding is taht it had to do with the owners of the original being so appalled at the poor quality of the others that they initiated the "break-up" so as to preserve their own reputation and business. If you are in Durham try the one on University.

http://www.theqshackoriginal.com/

flyingdutchdevil
12-09-2009, 03:29 PM
Living in the UK, and not being American, I never got a taste for bbq - especially Carolina bbq (Note to EVERYONE - that doesn't make me less of a Duke fan ;)). The US has so many great foods to offer: chili, steaks (European beef is terrible), tex mex, chicken and dumplings, full American-pancake breakies; I never really understood the fascination with bbq. Sure, I like it. And sure, I always enjoyed going to Bullocks, but I never truly got into it and would never go out of my way to have it. I guess it's a taste thing. Maybe I'll go to a bunch of places listed on this thread and have my perception changed. Or maybe I'll just go grab a good ole American steak next time I'm there.

Durhamrocks68
12-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Take a look at this Durham group. They're also doing a random drawing for Duke tickets!

www.bullcitybbq.com

BlueintheFace
08-24-2010, 10:49 AM
Here's a writer for Slate who spent significant time going to Kansas, Kentucky, Arkansas, and Texas. The only place missing appears to be NC, but since NC is still kind of the little brother in the bbq world, I can sort of understand. I cannot understand how Arkansas is in there though.

http://www.slate.com/id/2264829/entry/2118537/

devildeac
08-24-2010, 10:53 AM
Here's a writer for Slate who spent significant time going to Kansas, Kentucky, Arkansas, and Texas. The only place missing appears to be NC, but since NC is still kind of the little brother in the bbq world, I can sort of understand. I cannot understand how Arkansas is in there though.

And their mascot is...

;)

Johnboy
08-24-2010, 11:21 AM
NC is still kind of the little brother in the bbq world, I can sort of understand.[/URL]

WHAT!??? Them's fightin' words (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubTQfr_tyY)!

I don't know how he could possibly do a survey article on BBQ and not visit the Carolinas (or at least NC).

94duke
08-24-2010, 11:27 AM
No Carolina BBQ.
No Memphis BBQ.

Doesn't sound very complete to me.

Now I'm hungry.
I think I'll have to get some 'Cue for lunch today. :)

roywhite
08-24-2010, 11:33 AM
WHAT!??? Them's fightin' words (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubTQfr_tyY)!

I don't know how he could possibly do a survey article on BBQ and not visit the Carolinas (or at least NC).

From the article:

MEMPHIS, Tenn.—Memphis was as far east as I got on this trip, which is to say that I skipped the Carolinas. This neglect no doubt excommunicates me from the royal and ancient club of barbecue. I bypassed the Carolinas because I've already eaten a lot of barbecue there—in South Carolina, especially, where they douse it with a weird mustard sauce. It was impossible for me to hit Kansas City, Memphis, Texas, and the Carolinas—at least if I wanted to stay married—so I sacrificed the region I knew best.

Judging NC barbecue on his experiences in SC and their admittedly "weird" mustard sauce??

Weak

94duke
08-24-2010, 11:45 AM
No Carolina BBQ.
No Memphis BBQ.

Doesn't sound very complete to me.

Now I'm hungry.
I think I'll have to get some 'Cue for lunch today. :)

Whoops!
I just got to the Memphis part of the article.
Too late to edit.
My bad!
:o

MIKESJ73
08-24-2010, 11:54 AM
Give credit to SC, they were the first to BBQ way back in the 16th century. SC has some good BBQ. Unfortunately that Bessinger clan kept fighting and everytime one brother would leave they would start a new restuarant with that mustard sauce recipe. Now there is so many of their joints everyone thinks thats the state's sauce.

DevilDan
08-24-2010, 12:10 PM
From the article:

Judging NC barbecue on his experiences in SC and their admittedly "weird" mustard sauce??

Weak

When I first saw the thread title this morning, I was ready to dive into a fullfledged Devils vs. Wildcats dogfight ... but then, ahhhhhhhhhhh, I discovered the real gist of this !!! haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. I SO miss the great North Carolina Barbeque, way out here in California -- in my day (before most of you were born), the place was STAMEY's in Greensboro and several other surrounding cities. Seems they were just taking off in the 60's ... I am sure they have been ECLIPSED by all these great locations in and around Durham !

But before I go, I have to give a shout out for three of the greatest Duke-Kentucky games of all time. The '66 National SemiFinal in College Park (as I remember, the term "Final Four" wasn't used until much later). DUKE put one of the great starting fives of that decade on the floor : Verga / Marin / Vacendak / Lewis / Reidy. We took on the 'Cats with Bob Verga all but incapacitated with stomach flu. The other four played their guts out but we fell just shy, 83-79. It's hard to say this, but ultimately I am almost glad we didn't win (can't say the L word), because the next evening TEXAS WESTERN made college basketball history -- if you don't know about this, just rent out GLORY ROAD and see the remarkable story.

Then we go to '92, with Laettner's perfect 10-10 from the floor, and 10-10 from the line being barely enough to nip them 104-103 in OT in the East Regional, in the game that most still say is the greatest NCAA Tournament game of all time. Later, go forward to the game in the South Regional at Tampa (a veritable airplane hanger with bleachers), where our guys had them on the ropes by double digits before falling late. I know one of the officials who worked the game, and he told me that DUKE blew all its energy in the first 30 minutes of the game, and had absolutely nothing left at the end.

Some great memories, of BALL & BARBEQUE !!!

sagegrouse
08-24-2010, 04:42 PM
Give credit to SC, they were the first to BBQ way back in the 16th century. SC has some good BBQ. Unfortunately that Bessinger clan kept fighting and everytime one brother would leave they would start a new restuarant with that mustard sauce recipe. Now there is so many of their joints everyone thinks thats the state's sauce.

The early Carolinians (the colony did not split in two for many decades) came from Barbadoes in the 1670s and 1680s, which is the Seventeenth Century. Any barbecue recipe from those days failed to make the Junior League cookbook in Charleston. :rolleyes: Now a Sixteenth Century French colony led by Jean Ribaud failed, but there was no record of any barbecue -- in fact, they darned near starved to death.

sagegrouse

Jarhead
08-24-2010, 08:41 PM
The early Carolinians (the colony did not split in two for many decades) came from Barbadoes in the 1670s and 1680s, which is the Seventeenth Century. Any barbecue recipe from those days failed to make the Junior League cookbook in Charleston. :rolleyes: Now a Sixteenth Century French colony led by Jean Ribaud failed, but there was no record of any barbecue -- in fact, they darned near starved to death.

sagegrouse

Let me add a bit more to this discussion. There is a restaurant in Colonial Williamsburg that has a BBQ sandwich on its luncheon menu. Us admirers of Colonial Williamsburg know that anything they do in the designated historical area must be documented and authenticated for accuracy before it is used. That covers everything including clothing worn by workers, furniture which they manufacture on site with historic tools, building restoration, food preparation in the restaurants, et al. The restaurant is Chowning's Tavern, and the BBQ sandwich is prepared on colonial bread with chopped pork, seasoned with a sauce that tastes just like the best eastern NC BBQ, and coleslaw. Case closed.

This evidence comes from someone who grew up in Alexandria, VA. which was replete with BBQ restaurants when I was in high school. The one I frequented was located on the Mt Vernon Blvd (now known as the GW Parkway) in what is now a park right at the intersection of Bell Haven Road and the Blvd. Pigs were cooked whole hog over an open fire right at the entrance to the restaurant. There were only two kinds of establishments us teenagers frequented for food. There were those that were established by the Marriots, known as Hot Shoppes, and the BBQ places all over Alexandria and Arlington. Those BBQ places succumbed to the DQs, Sirloiners, BKs and... uh... MacDonalds.
After WWII, Alexandria was no longer a Southern town, but Colonial BBQ has survived in Eastern NC.http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/twocents/02cents.gif

BlueintheFace
08-24-2010, 09:34 PM
The "Original Home of Barbecue" is one disputed title and the "Best Barbecue in America" is an entirely different one.

moonpie23
08-24-2010, 10:29 PM
well, i'll just throw this in....

putting vinegar on a pig and calling it bbq doesn't make it bbq....being able to eat it without a roll of napkins should tip you off....

if ketchup isn't involved, it's not bbq...

jmfho

bring it...

http://ui32.gamespot.com/479/702headbanginstick_4.gif

BlueintheFace
08-24-2010, 11:49 PM
BBQ that is largely dependent on sauce should not be considered in the great debate over best barbecue. If your meat doesn't have enough taste by itself, that is an automatic DQ. After all, barbecue is about cooking/smoking/roasting meat.

Admittedly, this is the basis of my opinion that Carolina barbecue can never win the title. While the barbecue is quite tastey, it is too dependent on the most poignant of substances used in the practice, vinegar.

IMO, barbecue sauce is meant to enhance the taste of the meat, not serve as the basis of the taste.

Jarhead
08-25-2010, 12:01 AM
well, i'll just throw this in....

putting vinegar on a pig and calling it bbq doesn't make it bbq....being able to eat it without a roll of napkins should tip you off....

if ketchup isn't involved, it's not bbq...

jmfho

bring it...

http://ui32.gamespot.com/479/702headbanginstick_4.gif

Throw if you like, but not many will catch on to ketchup on anything other than fries, either potato or onion, and maybe a burger. I'd bet that you might even put a little mayo on your 'que too.http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/joker.gif

BlueintheFace
08-25-2010, 12:05 AM
Funny. I take a summer sabbatical from DBR, and when I jump back in, which thread is it?... this one. How appropriate.

ricks68
08-25-2010, 12:51 AM
BBQ that is largely dependent on sauce should not be considered in the great debate over best barbecue. If your meat doesn't have enough taste by itself, that is an automatic DQ. After all, barbecue is about cooking/smoking/roasting meat.

Admittedly, this is the basis of my opinion that Carolina barbecue can never win the title. While the barbecue is quite tastey, it is too dependent on the most poignant of substances used in the practice, vinegar.

IMO, barbecue sauce is meant to enhance the taste of the meat, not serve as the basis of the taste.

So sayeth those of us that really know BBQ. NC BBQ is different from Texas BBQ for just that reason. It's the meat, stupid. (Just an expression. Making sure my post is DukeBasketballReportably correct.)

For those that do not understand, please refer to the link posted at the beginning of the thread:

and then go to page 4 titled "The Greatest Barbecue Restaurant in the World".

Coincidentally, I was there about 3 weeks ago for lunch and it was as good as ever. 'nuff said.;)

ricks

MIKESJ73
08-25-2010, 08:22 AM

sagegrouse

"It was the Spanish who first introduced the pig into the Americas and to the American Indians. The Indians, in turn, introduced the Spanish to the concept of true slow cooking with smoke. So, in that first fateful coming together, way back in the 16th century, the Spanish supplied the pig and the Indians showed them how to cook it. The Spanish colonists came to South Carolina in the early 16th century and settled at Santa Elena. It was in that early American colony that Europeans first learned to prepare and to eat "real" barbecue. So, people were eating barbecue in South Carolina even before that name had been applied to the area by the English." Wikipedia

The history channel has been running a special "History of BBQ", it's pretty entertaining. It even spends a little time on the McRib the original "fakeQ", thanks to Nebraska.

devildeac
08-25-2010, 08:35 AM
Throw if you like, but not many will catch on to ketchup on anything other than fries, either potato or onion, and maybe a burger. I'd bet that you might even put a little mayo on your 'que too.http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/joker.gif

Well, if you do have a BBQ sammich, there's always the slaw...
;)

Jarhead
08-25-2010, 11:23 AM
Well, if you do have a BBQ sammich, there's always the slaw...
;)

Don't forget to dribble a bit of Tabasco sauce on it. For coleslaw sometimes it has mayo in it but my grandmother made it with vinegar and sour cream along with a bunch of other stuff. She used it with schweinshaxe (roasted pig knuckles), and a chopped pork recipé, but she preferred sauerkraut. She was German, and my grandfather was Irish. Neither know anything about BBQ, but they knew about cabbage.http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/103.gif

Duvall
08-25-2010, 11:36 AM
BBQ that is largely dependent on sauce should not be considered in the great debate over best barbecue. If your meat doesn't have enough taste by itself, that is an automatic DQ. After all, barbecue is about cooking/smoking/roasting pork.

Fixed it for you.

devildeac
08-25-2010, 11:42 AM
Don't forget to dribble a bit of Tabasco sauce on it. For coleslaw sometimes it has mayo in it but my grandmother made it with vinegar and sour cream along with a bunch of other stuff. She used it with schweinshaxe (roasted pig knuckles), and a chopped pork recipé, but she preferred sauerkraut. She was German, and my grandfather was Irish. Neither know anything about BBQ, but they knew about cabbage.http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/103.gif

I like Texas Pete a bit more than plain Tabasco. Just personal preference. Sauerkraut ist seht gut mit schweine und bratwurst oder knockwurst. Bier ist besser:D. (dang, I hope I remembered my Deutsch from 30+ years ago.) I'll bet your grandparents knew a few things about taters, too.;)

Jarhead
08-25-2010, 03:37 PM
I like Texas Pete a bit more than plain Tabasco. Just personal preference. Sauerkraut ist seht gut mit schweine und bratwurst oder knockwurst. Bier ist besser:D. (dang, I hope I remembered my Deutsch from 30+ years ago.) I'll bet your grandparents knew a few things about taters, too.;)

That's pretty good. All I remember are some cuss words I heard around the house, and, of course, I can order bier in Germany. Ein grosse bier, bitte. That seems to work. Then order your next one as soon as the first is delivered. It takes 7 minutes to pour a bier in Germany. Potatoes were a staple for both of my grandparents, and cabbage, too. My grandmother sometimes cooked pork and beef right in the coal furnace. It was very good. I suppose that may qualify as BBQ.

devildeac
08-25-2010, 11:10 PM
That's pretty good. All I remember are some cuss words I heard around the house, and, of course, I can order bier in Germany. Ein grosse bier, bitte. That seems to work. Then order your next one as soon as the first is delivered. It takes 7 minutes to pour a bier in Germany. Potatoes were a staple for both of my grandparents, and cabbage, too. My grandmother sometimes cooked pork and beef right in the coal furnace. It was very good. I suppose that may qualify as BBQ.

I don't remember many cuss words auf Deutsch. Ich haben ein Größer bier. http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/beer.gif

Potatoes are great in Brunswick stew which I often have with my 'cue, just to get this back on topichttp://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/19.gif.

davekay1971
12-08-2012, 11:28 AM
Anyone in the Winston-Salem area, I'm putting in a shameless plug for my father-in-law's new business. He has opened a mobile food truck selling homemade pulled pork barbecue, baked beans, potato salad, etc. Greg's been the best backyard barbecue guru I've ever met for awhile. About a year ago he stopped doing long-distance truck driving to start making and selling homemade barbecue sauce and hot sauce under the name Bullzhead Brandz. He secured a loan for the trailer and now opened the mobile restaurant.

For those who know Winston, he's got the trailer from about 11 am to 7 pm at the Carlton's at the corner of Harper Rd (exit 182 off of I-40) and Rt 158. Come up and buy pork barbecue by the pound, or just get a barbecue sandwich and side of beans.

I'm biased, but I'm also a barbecue hound, and I'll honestly say his barbecue is better than Little Richard's, Snooks, Speedy's, and right up there with the legendary Lexington Barbecue. The only downside...no hush puppies!

The baked beans are my mother-in-law's homemade recipe, and they are without comparison.

Go to www.bullzheadbrandz.com. That's my mother-in-law and father-in-law on the banner. If you go to the "about us" page, the cute little blonde girl is my daughter, Christina.

ricks68
12-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Anyone in the Winston-Salem area, I'm putting in a shameless plug for my father-in-law's new business. He has opened a mobile food truck selling homemade pulled pork barbecue, baked beans, potato salad, etc. Greg's been the best backyard barbecue guru I've ever met for awhile. About a year ago he stopped doing long-distance truck driving to start making and selling homemade barbecue sauce and hot sauce under the name Bullzhead Brandz. He secured a loan for the trailer and now opened the mobile restaurant.

For those who know Winston, he's got the trailer from about 11 am to 7 pm at the Carlton's at the corner of Harper Rd (exit 182 off of I-40) and Rt 158. Come up and buy pork barbecue by the pound, or just get a barbecue sandwich and side of beans.

I'm biased, but I'm also a barbecue hound, and I'll honestly say his barbecue is better than Little Richard's, Snooks, Speedy's, and right up there with the legendary Lexington Barbecue. The only downside...no hush puppies!

The baked beans are my mother-in-law's homemade recipe, and they are without comparison.

Go to www.bullzheadbrandz.com. That's my mother-in-law and father-in-law on the banner. If you go to the "about us" page, the cute little blonde girl is my daughter, Christina.

I hope to be able to swing by the next time I'm in the area. Sounds good to me.

ricks

ricks68
12-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Hey, you're daughter is a real cutie, too!:)

ricks

davekay1971
12-08-2012, 12:06 PM
Hey, you're daughter is a real cutie, too!:)

ricks

Thank you! Full credit to her mother, lol...

devildeac
12-08-2012, 01:56 PM

Just sent my son in W-S the link. He's a first year medical student at WFU and lives near Hanes Mall so he's pretty close. He has been instructed to visit and send me a review. He's married so your young pretty daughter is safe:D.

davekay1971
12-08-2012, 02:52 PM
Just sent my son in W-S the link. He's a first year medical student at WFU and lives near Hanes Mall so he's pretty close. He has been instructed to visit and send me a review. He's married so your young pretty daughter is safe:D.

Ok, and thanks for passing him the word about the bbq. Drop me a line when your son starts clinical rotations. Staci, my wife, is a nurse in the ER at Baptist and plans to keep working at Baptist indefinitely. She can keep an eye out for him whenever he does some rotations that bring him to the ER!

devildeac
12-08-2012, 05:31 PM
Ok, and thanks for passing him the word about the bbq. Drop me a line when your son starts clinical rotations. Staci, my wife, is a nurse in the ER at Baptist and plans to keep working at Baptist indefinitely. She can keep an eye out for him whenever he does some rotations that bring him to the ER!

Thanks for the tip about your wife, too. Long drive for her.

We'll go to the BBQ truck when we visit him, too. He needs to plan a class outing to exit 182;).

dairedevil
03-18-2015, 06:57 PM
It just wouldn't be March Madness without at least one reference to barbecue...this showed up on my facebook today:

http://gardenandgun.com/article/ultimate-barbecue-bracket

I don't know enough about the places to fill out the bracket, but just like the NCAA, there seems to be lots of discussion about who made it in and who was left out!

Jarhead
03-18-2015, 11:07 PM
A note to the moderators -- just below the latest post on this thread is a list of other threads covering the exact same topic, BBQ. Apparently these threads go back to 2007 when the beloved leaders started us with the new software and forum format. I have no idea how many "Duke vs. Kentucky" posts can be found in the archives that that go back before 2007. Is there any interest in having all of those pre-2000 threads made available for research? If so, can the mods do that for us BBQ lovers?

juise
04-05-2015, 12:24 AM
Seems like as good a time as any to discuss some 'cue, right?

ricks68
04-05-2015, 02:37 AM
Seems like as good a time as any to discuss some 'cue, right?

Not anymore unless Wisconsin gets out of the cheese business. But I will say that when we went back to Houston for the Regionals, we made it to Killen's and had the most incredible beef ribs ever that put even fine Texas brisket to shame.

ricks

Edouble
05-06-2015, 03:17 PM
Headed to Bowling Green this weekend for a wedding.

Can I please get a BBQ recommendation from those in the know? I will have a meal to myself on Friday night, so I would love some great pulled pork, brisket, or ribs that I can take back to my hotel.

devildeac
05-06-2015, 03:22 PM
Headed to Bowling Green this weekend for a wedding.

Can I please get a BBQ recommendation from those in the know? I will have a meal to myself on Friday night, so I would love some great pulled pork, brisket, or ribs that I can take back to my hotel.

Well, if you're heading up there via car from Atlanta, I'd stop at 12 Bones in Asheville or Arden on the way and procure some take out and put it in your cooler along with a brew or two (if you're so inclined) from Burial Beer or Wicked Weed.;)

Tappan Zee Devil
05-06-2015, 03:33 PM
Not anymore unless Wisconsin gets out of the cheese business. But I will say that when we went back to Houston for the Regionals, we made it to Killen's and had the most incredible beef ribs ever that put even fine Texas brisket to shame.

ricks

You mean you don't put cheese sauce on your BBQ? :)

CameronBornAndBred
05-06-2015, 06:05 PM
The True Blue 'Cue Crew will have our tailgate grill at the Bull City BBQ Classic Cook off in a month, if anyone is in town. The event is at the Durham County stadium, we'll be lighting Blue Smoke sometime Saturday night.

Edouble
05-06-2015, 06:59 PM
Well, if you're heading up there via car from Atlanta, I'd stop at 12 Bones in Asheville or Arden on the way and procure some take out and put it in your cooler along with a brew or two (if you're so inclined) from Burial Beer or Wicked Weed.;)

Oh wow! Thanks!

Yes, I am headed up from Atlanta. I checked the map and Ashville and Arden seem a little out of the way. I would like to drive straight through if possible, as I have to work on Saturday, so I'm trying to minimize the hours in the car. Maybe I could hit Ashville on the way back. :confused:

I do appreciate the suggestion. There's got to be something good in Bowling Green, I would think...

-jk
05-06-2015, 09:35 PM
Oh wow! Thanks!

Yes, I am headed up from Atlanta. I checked the map and Ashville and Arden seem a little out of the way. I would like to drive straight through if possible, as I have to work on Saturday, so I'm trying to minimize the hours in the car. Maybe I could hit Ashville on the way back. :confused:

I do appreciate the suggestion. There's got to be something good in Bowling Green, I would think...

Yeah, Asheville - a great town! - is more than just a bit out of the way...

-jk

ricks68
05-07-2015, 02:05 AM
Yeah, Asheville - a great town! - is more than just a bit out of the way...

-jk

If you hit AVL on the way back I would recommend 12 Bones for the Blueberry Chipotle ribs and sides only or hit Moe's Original BBQ for anything. 12 Bones is not good for their pulled pork but is famous for those ribs. Also, on way up or back I would recommend a place in Franklin called the Stone House Market for lunch. Not FAST food, but absolutely wonderful. Also hit Innovation Brewery in Sylva for maybe a Saison. Right off 441 and on the river.

ricks

Edouble
05-07-2015, 03:58 PM
If you hit AVL on the way back I would recommend 12 Bones for the Blueberry Chipotle ribs and sides only or hit Moe's Original BBQ for anything. 12 Bones is not good for their pulled pork but is famous for those ribs. Also, on way up or back I would recommend a place in Franklin called the Stone House Market for lunch. Not FAST food, but absolutely wonderful. Also hit Innovation Brewery in Sylva for maybe a Saison. Right off 441 and on the river.

ricks

My plan now is to eat at Smokey Pig BBQ in Bowling Green. I will report back following the meal...

Devilwin
05-08-2015, 06:09 PM
Lexington BBQ....'Nuff said on this subject..

Indoor66
05-08-2015, 06:48 PM
Lexington BBQ....'Nuff said on this subject..

But, but, the Devil is in the details! Which Lexington?

Jarhead
05-08-2015, 10:34 PM

Which one uses ketchup?

devildeac
05-09-2015, 12:16 AM
Which one uses ketchup?

We've visited Lexington, KY (aka the land of the missing D and E) on several occasions and not once has my sister-in-law or her husband offered to take us to any BBQ joints. So, I'm convinced there's not much attraction to KY BBQ to them.

mattman91
05-09-2015, 12:20 AM
We've visited Lexington, KY (aka the land of the missing D and E) on several occasions and not once has my sister-in-law or her husband offered to take us to any BBQ joints. So, I'm convinced there's not much attraction to KY BBQ to them.

It's all coming together now...

K isn't out recruiting Cal. High school star basketball players are just starting to have better taste in 'Que!

devildeac
05-09-2015, 12:31 AM
It's all coming together now...

K isn't out recruiting Cal. High school star basketball players are just starting to have better taste in 'Que!

That might be it. Brandon Ingram got tired of Kings and wanted Backyard BBQ, Q Shack, The Pit and (maybe) Bullocks.

ricks68
05-09-2015, 02:03 AM

Probably Honey Monk's. Coarse chopped with some of the outside brown. Way too tough the last 2 or 3 times we went. Devildeac has the right idea by stopping at 12 Bones for some Blueberry Chipotle ribs on the way out of Asheville next week. He got me so hungry for them that we had to stop by for some today. Really, really gooooooood! Going to show him some really fine NC BBQ at Moe's Original next week, too.:)

ricks

devildeac
05-09-2015, 06:55 AM
Probably Honey Monk's. Coarse chopped with some of the outside brown. Way too tough the last 2 or 3 times we went. Devildeac has the right idea by stopping at 12 Bones for some Blueberry Chipotle ribs on the way out of Asheville next week. He got me so hungry for them that we had to stop by for some today. Really, really gooooooood! Going to show him some really fine NC BBQ at Moe's Original next week, too.:)

ricks

NC BBQ?

http://www.moesoriginalbbq.com/about/

Skitzle
05-09-2015, 08:10 AM
I don't know enough about Southern BBQ Joints, but I think this board has a LOT of knowledge.

Two things would be VERY interesting

ALL OF THIS IS EXPANDABLE AND DEBATABLE)
1) An offseason bracket, best BBQ
4 regions. NC, Midwest, South, Other

to 4-8 teams in each region would be selected by a poll.

2) As an offshoot of 1. Someone could put together a book/PDF, containing all the BBQ joints in the bracket, with poster comments, pictures, maps, directions.

Then we could have a BOOK!
Title: Duke vs. Kentucky The Official DBR Guide to BBQ.

ricks68
05-09-2015, 11:30 AM
NC BBQ?

http://www.moesoriginalbbq.com/about/

Actually, it's considered and stated by the company to be Alabama style BBQ due to the sauce selection. But when you taste it, you will see that there really is no discernable style difference between it and NC. Considering also that the ribs at 12 Bones have different flavors that are "way out there", but really, really good, and in no way be truly considered as representative of NC BBQ, I see no reason to get so technical on Moe's true BBQ style. Now, if you want to get into the difference between the mostly tasteless pulled pork (sans the addition of different flavored sauces and other ingredients) and the incredibly flavored Texas BBQ where the flavor comes from the meat itself due to the way it is smoked, that's another story altogether.

You should be able to judge for yourself, however, on Friday after having your taste buds enhanced by some outstanding NC beers

ricks

mattman91
05-09-2015, 11:52 AM
Actually, it's considered and stated by the company to be Alabama style BBQ due to the sauce selection. But when you taste it, you will see that there really is no discernable style difference between it and NC. Considering also that the ribs at 12 Bones have different flavors that are "way out there", but really, really good, and in no way be truly considered as representative of NC BBQ, I see no reason to get so technical on Moe's true BBQ style. Now, if you want to get into the difference between the mostly tasteless pulled pork (sans the addition of different flavored sauces and other ingredients) and the incredibly flavored Texas BBQ where the flavor comes from the meat itself due to the way it is smoked, that's another story altogether.

You should be able to judge for yourself, however, on Friday after having your taste buds enhanced by some outstanding NC beers

ricks

Get out of here with your cow "bbq" :p

devildeac
05-09-2015, 12:09 PM

ricks

I'm dabbing the saliva off my chin (and keyboard) even as I type this, greatly anticipating all of the above in six days.

weezie
05-09-2015, 03:01 PM
I'm dabbing the saliva off my chin (and keyboard) even as I type this, greatly anticipating all of the above in six days.

Puhleaze!!! Come now, they offer bibs, don't they?! Use one! :cool:

Tripping William
05-09-2015, 03:20 PM

Ymmmmm, Bib's.

http://www.bibsdowntown.com

devildeac
05-09-2015, 03:56 PM

I was not eating as I posted that. It was spontaneous, Pavlovian secretions and I didn't have time to don the appropriate attire or cover my keyboard with shrinkwrap for protection and/or hygienic purposes. Sorry. :o

devildeac
05-09-2015, 03:59 PM
Ymmmmm, Bib's.

http://www.bibsdowntown.com

I wish you hadn't done that. Now it's one more place in W-S we have to visit and take our son and his wife to eat sometime. :o

Tripping William
05-09-2015, 07:37 PM
I wish you hadn't done that. Now it's one more place in W-S we have to visit and take our son and his wife to eat sometime. :o

Small Batch for a pre-dinner brew, Bib's for dinner, Foothills for the nightcap(s). All within walking distance of each other (and my office). I aim to please. :)

roywhite
05-09-2015, 08:03 PM

Small Batch for a pre-dinner brew, Bib's for dinner, Foothills for the nightcap(s). All within walking distance of each other (and my office). I aim to please. :)

In the interest of research (and a toast to the National Champs), count me in for such a gathering.

superdave
05-09-2015, 08:15 PM
I am going to Austin for Memorial Day Weekend. I have been to Salt Lick (the Mecca) and will probably insist on going again.

I have been to Rudy's many times and County Line a few times. What am I missing? Any must have places?

Oh and if you have not tried the Shiner Prickly Pear, it's pretty wankin' good.

devildeac
05-09-2015, 08:46 PM
In the interest of research (and a toast to the National Champs), count me in for such a gathering.

You will indeed be included.

ricks68
05-09-2015, 11:27 PM
I am going to Austin for Memorial Day Weekend. I have been to Salt Lick (the Mecca) and will probably insist on going again.

I have been to Rudy's many times and County Line a few times. What am I missing? Any must have places?

Danger! Danger! Very, very bad BBQ alert.

Salt Lick is for getting drunk in their huge gravel parking lot, and then getting over-sauced bad Texas BBQ prior to getting a DUI on the way back to Austin for the Longhorn football game that day. (The State Troopers actually do stake out the road from Driftwood to Austin during football season for just that reason.) That's it. Texas BBQ is only allowed to have hot sauce (Louisiana, Tabasco, etc.) placed upon it for the heat and to bring out the flavor, not to cover it up. It is considered the Mecca by drunk UT students. County Line isn't far behind, either.

Try Franklin's in Austin, Snow's in Lexington, Killen's in Pearland for REAL genuine excellent Texas BBQ. And, there are so many, many others that you can find in the Austin general area other than the %$**## they serve at Salt Lick, and is so remarkably better: Kreuz Market, Smitty's, Chisholm Trail (all 3 in Lockhart), La Barbecue in Austin, and even roadside smokers. Look them up in Texas Monthly, as they rate the best of hundreds and hundreds of BBQ places in Texas, and the only mention Salt Lick ever gets is for the atmosphere due to its location and what goes on in the parking lot.

Please remember to get in line at Franklin's well before 9 o'clock, as they start dishing the BBQ out at 11:00. At Snow's, they start running out of some items at around 10:00, and they are only open on Saturday. Don't worry about the long lines at Kreuz Market, as it goes fast enough.

Went to Killen's in Pearland, basically now considered like a suburb south of Houston, that has got to be in the top 3 now, when visiting for the Regionals. One rib was almost enough for two. It just plain melted in your mouth like charbroiled nirvana. Sauce, don't need no stinkin' sauce. Definitely helps sustain the largest medical center in the world with all the cardiac patients it can handle.:eek: Oh, and they serve as much FREE Lonestar beer as you want while waiting in the long line.

Oh, and ask the people in the line you are in which items they think are best at each place. For example, the best is the beef rib and brisket at Killen's; the sausage and pork rib at Kreuz Market; the brisket, chicken and sausage at Snow's; the sausage at Chisholm Trail; sausage and brisket at Smitty's; whatever at Franklin's; etc.

Life is way too short to have bad BBQ, and to Texans, what's a few hours of driving and waiting in line to get it?

ricks

OZZIE4DUKE
05-10-2015, 12:19 PM
Are you a member of the Piedmont Club? I am, and am there for breakfast and a meeting most Thursday mornings. But not this coming week. We should meet for lunch some Thursday at Bib's!

ricks68
05-10-2015, 12:49 PM
Danger! Danger! Very, very bad BBQ alert.

Salt Lick is for getting drunk in their huge gravel parking lot, and then getting over-sauced bad Texas BBQ prior to getting a DUI on the way back to Austin for the Longhorn football game that day. (The State Troopers actually do stake out the road from Driftwood to Austin during football season for just that reason.) That's it. Texas BBQ is only allowed to have hot sauce (Louisiana, Tabasco, etc.) placed upon it for the heat and to bring out the flavor, not to cover it up. It is considered the Mecca by drunk UT students. County Line isn't far behind, either.

Try Franklin's in Austin, Snow's in Lexington, Killen's in Pearland for REAL genuine excellent Texas BBQ. And, there are so many, many others that you can find in the Austin general area other than the %$**## they serve at Salt Lick, and is so remarkably better: Kreuz Market, Smitty's, Chisholm Trail (all 3 in Lockhart), La Barbecue in Austin, and even roadside smokers. Look them up in Texas Monthly, as they rate the best of hundreds and hundreds of BBQ places in Texas, and the only mention Salt Lick ever gets is for the atmosphere due to its location and what goes on in the parking lot.

Please remember to get in line at Franklin's well before 9 o'clock, as they start dishing the BBQ out at 11:00. At Snow's, they start running out of some items at around 10:00, and they are only open on Saturday. Don't worry about the long lines at Kreuz Market, as it goes fast enough.

Went to Killen's in Pearland, basically now considered like a suburb south of Houston, that has got to be in the top 3 now, when visiting for the Regionals. One rib was almost enough for two. It just plain melted in your mouth like charbroiled nirvana. Sauce, don't need no stinkin' sauce. Definitely helps sustain the largest medical center in the world with all the cardiac patients it can handle.:eek: Oh, and they serve as much FREE Lonestar beer as you want while waiting in the long line.

Oh, and ask the people in the line you are in which items they think are best at each place. For example, the best is the beef rib and brisket at Killen's; the sausage and pork rib at Kreuz Market; the brisket, chicken and sausage at Snow's; the sausage at Chisholm Trail; sausage and brisket at Smitty's; whatever at Franklin's; etc.

Life is way too short to have bad BBQ, and to Texans, what's a few hours of driving and waiting in line to get it?

ricks

My apologies if this sounded a bit harsh, as it isn't meant to be. I am a big time foodie that gets pretty enthusiastic about great food---and that includes beer as a food---and really enjoy directing others to try great food places. I believe that once someone tries a great food place and orders what that place does best, I feel like they become more educated in analyzing and comparing similar food categories. I know that I have. Then, when they recommend places I haven't tried, it gives their opinions more credence, and pushes me to try those places myself. So, I benefit from their education, too.

I consider NC BBQ, and other similar Southern regional BBQ, to be a totally different form of BBQ when compared to Texas BBQ. I believe that once someone immerses themselves in both styles, they will also realize that. It is like comparing apples to oranges, instead of comparing different kinds of apples or different kinds of oranges. Like I stated in my previous post, NC BBQ emphasizes the sauces flavoring the pork, and Texas BBQ emphasizes bringing out the true flavor of the meat itself, be it beef or pork. To the uninitiated, genuine Texas BBQ only uses a salt and pepper rub, and the smoking technique does the rest. The meat quality, including fat content and specific cuts, along with the wood used (usually Post Oak or Mesquite) and time and temperature, result in the flavor of the meat coming through.

Gotta go and have some Nawlins Style food at Burial Beer now to go along with some great beer, so that's it for now.

ricks

CameronBornAndBred
05-19-2015, 01:59 PM
This is the cook off that we'll be competing in on June 6th. Come out and have fun and eat lots. 30+ teams total.
No idea if any of them are from Kentucky. ;)
Our tent will be decked out just like it is for our tailgates. :cool:

duke blue brewcrew
05-19-2015, 02:23 PM

I've had this very agenda during sales calls to the area and it was more than ideal. Wed nights is blue grass night at Foothills if I recall correctly.

BrazyATX
05-19-2015, 03:07 PM

I'm not as much of a foodie as Ricks is, but I relocated to Austin in October from Kansas City, so BBQ is a weekly must in my household. Salt Lick is famous for the atmosphere as Ricks points out, not so much their quality of BBQ. If you want good BBQ and a good atmosphere then it is something to check out. If you want really good BBQ then anything coming out of Lockhart is really hard to be, but also really hard to get without an investment of time. Terry Black's is one he lfet off his list here in Austin. I've been to the Barton Springs Rd. location several times and personally think it is excellent, especially the moist brisket. No sauce required.

Austin is also known for its wide variety of pizza joints. Be sure to research and check out a few if you have time.

left_hook_lacey
05-19-2015, 03:42 PM

Had the Shiner Prickly Pear this past weekend. Really good. I did one of the mix and match 12 packs from Harris Teeter, wish I had gotten 12 prickly pear's.

ricks68
05-19-2015, 05:41 PM
Had the Shiner Prickly Pear this past weekend. Really good. I did one of the mix and match 12 packs from Harris Teeter, wish I had gotten 12 prickly pear's.

Mention that over on the Ymm Beer thread. It might be appreciated. I will see if they have some in the specialty craft beer stores here, even though Shiner is not a craft beer brewery. Thanks.

ricks

Lennies
05-19-2015, 07:44 PM
I'm not as much of a foodie as Ricks is, but I relocated to Austin in October from Kansas City, so BBQ is a weekly must in my household. Salt Lick is famous for the atmosphere as Ricks points out, not so much their quality of BBQ. If you want good BBQ and a good atmosphere then it is something to check out. If you want really good BBQ then anything coming out of Lockhart is really hard to be, but also really hard to get without an investment of time. Terry Black's is one he lfet off his list here in Austin. I've been to the Barton Springs Rd. location several times and personally think it is excellent, especially the moist brisket. No sauce required.

Austin is also known for its wide variety of pizza joints. Be sure to research and check out a few if you have time.

John Mueller's place is missing from the list of Austin BBQ places. His short ribs are amazing. Or you could go to the mothership and visit Louis Mueller's BBQ in Taylor, TX (about 30 minutes from Austin).

If Franklins is packed, I've heard really good things about Micklethwait Craft Meats (about 3 minutes away from Franklins).

roywhite
05-20-2015, 03:58 PM
Nothing like a pre-season poll to generate interest and discussion for hoops next season, so let's check the reaction to this ranking.

TripAdvisor's picks: America's best BBQ (http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/20/travel/tripadvisor-best-bbq-states-restaurants-feat/index.html)

Here are the top 10 BBQ restaurants for 2015:

1. Joe's BBQ -- Blue Ridge, Georgia

2. Joe's Kansas City Bar-B-Que -- Kansas City, Kansas

3. Bogart's Smokehouse -- St. Louis

4. Reuben's Smokehouse -- Fort Myers, Florida

5. Andy Nelson's Southern Pit BBQ -- Cockeysville, Maryland

6. Captain's BBQ -- Palm Coast, Florida

7. HogsHead Café -- Richmond, Virginia

8. Buck's Smokehouse -- Destin, Florida

9. Franklin Barbecue -- Austin, Texas

10. Pappy's Smokehouse -- St. Louis

flyingdutchdevil
05-20-2015, 04:05 PM
Nothing like a pre-season poll to generate interest and discussion for hoops next season, so let's check the reaction to this ranking.

TripAdvisor's picks: America's best BBQ (http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/20/travel/tripadvisor-best-bbq-states-restaurants-feat/index.html)

My conclusion: Midwesterns are too polite in their reviews compared to East Coasters.

CameronBornAndBred
05-20-2015, 05:10 PM

My conclusion: Midwesterns are too polite in their reviews compared to East Coasters.
My conclusion: ask if your pitmaster is named Joe.

ricks68
05-20-2015, 08:01 PM
John Mueller's place is missing from the list of Austin BBQ places. His short ribs are amazing. Or you could go to the mothership and visit Louis Mueller's BBQ in Taylor, TX (about 30 minutes from Austin).

If Franklins is packed, I've heard really good things about Micklethwait Craft Meats (about 3 minutes away from Franklins).

Yes. I concur, especially regarding John Mueller

ricks

left_hook_lacey
06-21-2015, 03:18 PM
Just stuffed my self at Parker's in Wilson. Family style fried chicken, BBQ, boiled potato, green beans, cole slaw and corn bread/sticks.

That's all. Nothing new to add, just wanted to rub it in.

killerleft
06-21-2015, 05:15 PM
Just stuffed my self at Parker's in Wilson. Family style fried chicken, BBQ, boiled potato, green beans, cole slaw and corn bread/sticks.

That's all. Nothing new to add, just wanted to rub it in.

Been there, done that, jealous. A fine, historic barbeque emporium. Saw the late great Doc Watson downtown at the first Wilson Whirligig Festival that same day, making me a double winner!:)

The next festival, in November, will be the eleventh:

http://www.wilsonwhirligigpark.org/

left_hook_lacey
06-21-2015, 05:49 PM
Been there, done that, jealous. A fine, historic barbeque emporium. Saw the late great Doc Watson downtown at the first Wilson Whirligig Festival that same day, making me a double winner!:)

The next festival, in November, will be the eleventh:

http://www.wilsonwhirligigpark.org/

A double-winner indeed. :)

Parker's really is a fine, historic emporium. We took my father-in-law and his extended family there for Father's day today. He lives in Roanoke Rapids but makes his way down to Wilson quite often just to go to Parker's. He said, "I've been coming here for 50 years, and it's exactly the way it was the first time I walked in."

And thanks for the inside info on the whirligig event. Looks like a blast.

JohnGalt
06-21-2015, 05:56 PM
I've just recently relocated to Houston for work. Any Texan bbq experts out there?

I've been to Goode Company and found it good (haha...?), but nothing to write home about. A few of the sides were really well done.

There must be better though!

ricks68
06-21-2015, 06:44 PM
I've just recently relocated to Houston for work. Any Texan bbq experts out there?

I've been to Goode Company and found it good (haha...?), but nothing to write home about. A few of the sides were really well done.

There must be better though!

I will take care of you. Just give me a little time. For now, however, I can tell you that Goode is the best, of the very, very few in town. Go a little south to Killen's and get the rib. Killer.

ricks

duke blue brewcrew
06-21-2015, 07:01 PM
Hills BBQ in Winston, NC - It's Lexington style and you have to try their cubed cut pork, melt in your mouth good!
http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/trail_pages/hills_large.html

Lexington BBQ aka Monk's BBQ is outstanding stuff as well!
http://www.lexbbq.com/

Tripping William
06-21-2015, 08:28 PM
Hills BBQ in Winston, NC - It's Lexington style and you have to try their cubed cut pork, melt in your mouth good!
http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/trail_pages/hills_large.html

Lexington BBQ aka Monk's BBQ is outstanding stuff as well!
http://www.lexbbq.com/

Have had many a tasty business lunch at Hill's.

duke blue brewcrew
06-23-2015, 09:13 AM
Have had many a tasty business lunch at Hill's.

The banana pudding is a solid call there I must say. I've eaten there a couple of times now when passing through on business, I like that place.

Tripping William
07-02-2015, 08:06 AM
Warning: If the name alone wasn't enough to keep you away, a salmonella outbreak (http://www.greensboro.com/news/one-person-dead-in-connection-with-tarheel-q-salmonella-outbreak/article_481fdb26-2035-11e5-b3be-9758ce7b628b.html) in which 200+ got sick and one person died ought make you think twice. Or three times.

DukieInKansas
07-02-2015, 10:09 AM
Will be in Beverly, KY next week and have a free day on Wednesday. We may be driving down to Cumberland Gap on that day. Anyone familiar with that area and know of any BBQ joints we could try?

Billy Dat
07-02-2015, 10:11 AM
I just got back from Derm and made my first ever trip to the Backyard BBQ Pit #1.

Sweet Jesus.

I am not a local, but that's the best Q I have ever eaten. I've had Bullocks many times and also The Pit in Raleigh.

duke blue brewcrew
07-02-2015, 10:26 AM
I just got back from Derm and made my first ever trip to the Backyard BBQ Pit #1.

Sweet Jesus.

I am not a local, but that's the best Q I have ever eaten. I've had Bullocks many times and also The Pit in Raleigh.

I now feel as if I MUST try this the next time I'm there. I live in Atlanta, but make it to the RTP area quite often for work.

peloton
07-02-2015, 01:05 PM

Sweet Jesus.

Billy D, I'm local (NC native) and I'm not surprised you're now a convert. It's just my opinion of course, but I have to say that after living my entire life in the Old North State and trying a lot of BBQ over the years, Backyard BBQ Pit on Hwy 55 is #1 in regard to the best eastern style 'que that I've had. They don't have the reputation/fame that some of the other places have...Bullock's comes to mind, but my taste buds tell me that Backyard has the perfect blend of just enough spiciness, smoky, and sweet flavors. In fact, I typically don't put much if any of their sauce on the pork...that to me is the true test of some mighty fine BBQ. How does it stand on its own...without putting on a lot of sauce?

While the pork BBQ is delectable, many of their sides are great...anyone stopping by should also try their collards, fried cabbage, and mac & cheese (best I've ever had). To me, having good hushpuppies is the icing on the cake for a good NC BBQ joint and again, Backyard comes through here. In my opinion, they're about perfect - slightly (but not too) sweet and always cooked just long enough to be the perfect companion to the swine. As further testament to their goodness, I typically order extra.

Duke Blue Brewcrew, yes - you definitely owe it to yourself to stop by there when you're in the RTP area again. Just know that it's a very bare bones sort of place...I'm sure you'll enjoy the great BBQ and comfort food though!

flyingdutchdevil
07-02-2015, 01:13 PM
Billy D, I'm local (NC native) and I'm not surprised you're now a convert. It's just my opinion of course, but I have to say that after living my entire life in the Old North State and trying a lot of BBQ over the years, Backyard BBQ Pit on Hwy 55 is #1 in regard to the best eastern style 'que that I've had. They don't have the reputation/fame that some of the other places have...Bullock's comes to mind, but my taste buds tell me that Backyard has the perfect blend of just enough spiciness, smoky, and sweet flavors. In fact, I typically don't put much if any of their sauce on the pork...that to me is the true test of some mighty fine BBQ. How does it stand on its own...without putting on a lot of sauce?

While the pork BBQ is delectable, many of their sides are great...anyone stopping by should also try their collards, fried cabbage, and mac & cheese (best I've ever had). To me, having good hushpuppies is the icing on the cake for a good NC BBQ joint and again, Backyard comes through here. In my opinion, they're about perfect - slightly (but not too) sweet and always cooked just long enough to be the perfect companion to the swine. As further testament to their goodness, I typically order extra.

Duke Blue Brewcrew, yes - you definitely owe it to yourself to stop by there when you're in the RTP area again. Just know that it's a very bare bones sort of place...I'm sure you'll enjoy the great BBQ and comfort food though!

Bullocks has the location, the ambiance, and the history. And that's about it. Backyard BBQ has none of those (it's a pretty depressing place, actually) but the food is out of this world. I agree with your description on the Q; no sauce, just perfect.

If you put Backyard's food in Bullocks's location, you have one of the best restaurants in the Southeast.

Billy Dat
07-02-2015, 01:43 PM

It was meant to be. With only limited time, I headed for Bullocks and was greeted by an empty parking lot and a sign saying they were closed for vacation until mid July. I jumped on this board, saw all the raves for Backyard BBQ Pit and made tracks. It's certainly a Lou Gehrig/Wally Pip scenario.

My first test is always how the cue tastes with no sauce, and their's is perfection...so dang tasty as is. I got the combo plate with ribs (money!) and collard greens and brunswick stew. Upon tasting how amazing everything was, I ponied up for small additional sides of mac n cheese, baked beans and potato salad. I am no glutton (well, kind of) but I love to try everything and the price was cheap enough that I didn't feel too bad throwing away the extra (I had ethical dilemma, sure, but I could not eat it all).

I like that it is a sketchy looking dump as I am really tired of the generic "commercial space on the ground floor of a newish mixed use complex in Durham" that seems to dominate the rest of the new millennium Duke experience. Along those lines, as someone who attended Duke in the early 90s, I cracked up at the "Keep Durham Dirty" movement that I caught wind of while strolling 9th street. The idea that Durham has cleaned up so much that it has lost some kind of essential grit is hilarious. No one was complaining about too much grit back in the day, that is for sure.

Dr. Rosenrosen
07-02-2015, 06:57 PM
I live 7 minutes from heaven... I mean Backyard BBQ. For me, it's BY FAR the best in the triangle and second only to The Monk in the state of NC. And that's a close second. It's takes a sustained effort and great willpower not to go too often.

Amen to those who noted how good the sides are. We still go get sides there every year for our Thanksgiving table - they are that good.

mattman91
07-15-2015, 10:07 PM
Got my first taste of authentic Texas BBQ last night when Mr. And Mrs. Ricks68 invited my SO and I over. Very good stuff. I can now finally say I've had BBQ from ENC, WNC, Memphis, KC, and Texas. I can't pick a favorite, but will say that each region has its own unique and delicious take on 'que.

duke blue brewcrew
07-16-2015, 12:06 PM
I live 7 minutes from heaven... I mean Backyard BBQ. For me, it's BY FAR the best in the triangle and second only to The Monk in the state of NC. And that's a close second. It's takes a sustained effort and great willpower not to go too often.

Amen to those who noted how good the sides are. We still go get sides there every year for our Thanksgiving table - they are that good.

After my lifelong "Go-To" closed in Lexington because the owners were retiring, I have converted over to Monk's and it's delicious. I am impressed with Hills in W-S as well. After reading all that I have about Backyard, it's next on my list - my mouth is watering. I will report back.

superdave
07-16-2015, 01:52 PM
Got my first taste of authentic Texas BBQ last night when Mr. And Mrs. Ricks68 invited my SO and I over. Very good stuff. I can now finally say I've had BBQ from ENC, WNC, Memphis, KC, and Texas. I can't pick a favorite, but will say that each region has its own unique and delicious take on 'que.

In the past 12 months I have eaten at Gate's in Kansas City, Rendezvous in Memphis, Wilber's in Goldsboro, Parker's in Wilson, Rudy's in Austin, and a couple of others. I'm only lacking a Western NC joint for the Grand Slam.

Any types we're missing? I guess I had a roasted goat at Komi here in DC that was pretty impressive.....

lotusland
07-16-2015, 02:54 PM

You've got to step up and boldly proclaim the winner! What kind of message board poster are you if you can't even offer a biased and poorley-informed opinion?

mattman91
07-16-2015, 03:55 PM
In the past 12 months I have eaten at Gate's in Kansas City, Rendezvous in Memphis, Wilber's in Goldsboro, Parker's in Wilson, Rudy's in Austin, and a couple of others. I'm only lacking a Western NC joint for the Grand Slam.

Any types we're missing? I guess I had a roasted goat at Komi here in DC that was pretty impressive.....

12 Bones here in Asheville shouldn't disappoint.

devildeac
07-16-2015, 03:58 PM

What about this joint:

http://www.moesoriginalbbq.com/lo/asheville/

;)

mattman91
07-16-2015, 04:09 PM
What about this joint:

;)

HA!

Good stuff. The banana pudding is second only to mom's. Never had a bad experience with Moe's food itself, I just wish they didn't implement a smoking section at our local Moe's on Sweeten Creek Rd. :rolleyes:

devildeac
07-16-2015, 04:38 PM
HA!

Good stuff. The banana pudding is second only to mom's. Never had a bad experience with Moe's food itself, I just wish they didn't implement a smoking section at our local Moe's on Sweeten Creek Rd. :rolleyes:

HA! I thought they took care of that smoking section by throwing that drunk loser out and then calling the local constable. :o;)

And BTW, you didn't share your banana pudding and I was too full to order my own so I never tasted Moe's. :p

Tripping William
07-16-2015, 04:47 PM

What about this joint:

;)

But why drive ALL those extra miles when this joint (http://www.prissypollys.com/) offers both Eastern NC and Western NC, and this joint (http://www.lexbbq.com/) plus this joint (http://speedysbbqinc.com/) plus many others in Lexington will do the trick. Not to mention here (http://www.bibsdowntown.com/), which is within walking distance of here (http://smallbatchws.com/) and here (http://www.foothillsbrewing.com/foothills-pub/).

mattman91
07-16-2015, 04:54 PM
But why drive ALL those extra miles when this joint (http://www.prissypollys.com/) offers both Eastern NC and Western NC, and this joint (http://www.lexbbq.com/) plus this joint (http://speedysbbqinc.com/) plus many others in Lexington will do the trick. Not to mention here (http://www.bibsdowntown.com/), which is within walking distance of here (http://smallbatchws.com/) and here (http://www.foothillsbrewing.com/foothills-pub/).

Those last two links about made me drool on my keyboard :cool:

devildeac
07-16-2015, 04:58 PM

Ok, you convinced me. Now I'm hungry and thirsty. I'm on my way. Two questions: where? when?

Merlindevildog91
07-16-2015, 04:59 PM

I would avoid the first (Prissy Polly's) on Thursday or Saturday nights, unless you REALLY, REALLY LIKE live bluegrass music and scads of people who do REALLY, REALLY LIKE it. Btw, unless they have changed, they don't serve alcohol. (Sixty-six Pizza across the street is really good for a variety of things, and they do serve beer.)

Anyplace within walking distance of Foothills Brewing is a great place in my book! But I haven't yet been to Bib's. Too many other cool places downtown, and I am an eastern NC BBQ snob.

mattman91
07-16-2015, 05:01 PM
I would avoid the first (Prissy Polly's) on Thursday or Saturday nights, unless you REALLY, REALLY LIKE live bluegrass music and scads of people who do REALLY, REALLY LIKE it. Btw, unless they have changed, they don't serve alcohol. (Sixty-six Pizza across the street is really good for a variety of things, and they do serve beer.)

Anyplace within walking distance of Foothills Brewing is a great place in my book! But I haven't yet been to Bib's. Too many other cool places downtown, and I am an eastern NC BBQ snob.

I take offense to that.

Tripping William
07-16-2015, 05:03 PM

Not BBQ but, if you haven't yet been there, I highly recommend Quanto Basta (https://www.facebook.com/quantobastaNC), a new Italian wine bar on the corner of 4th & Spring.

Back on topic, below is my current favorite t-shirt, which I picked up on a trip to New Bern in May.

mattman91
07-16-2015, 05:06 PM
Not BBQ but, if you haven't yet been there, I highly recommend Quanto Basta (https://www.facebook.com/quantobastaNC) a new Italian wine bar on the corner of 4th & Spring.

Back on topic, below is my current favorite t-shirt, which I picked up on a trip to New Bern in May.

Saw a guy wearing this exact shirt recently. I want one.

Tripping William
07-16-2015, 05:08 PM
Ok, you convinced me. Now I'm hungry and thirsty. I'm on my way. Two questions: where? when?

As you know, I have two bombers in my dark, cool basement closet that are seeking answers to those precise questions, which seem to be even more elusive than "what's the meaning of life?," "what happens after we die?," and "how many minutes will Chase Jeter play next season?" :o

devildeac
07-16-2015, 05:29 PM
As you know, I have two bombers in my dark, cool basement closet that are seeking answers to those precise questions, which seem to be even more elusive than "what's the meaning of life?," "what happens after we die?," and "how many minutes will Chase Jeter play next season?" :o

And...

how many PPG/RPG/BPG/FPG will he average and will he start or be the 6th/7th/8th man:rolleyes:?

devildeac
07-16-2015, 05:30 PM
I take offense to that.

No need to get defensive...

Tripping William
07-16-2015, 05:31 PM
Saw a guy wearing this exact shirt recently. I want one.

Apparently available for online purchase here (http://www.houseofswankclothing.com/north-carolina-bbq-shirt/).

-jk
07-16-2015, 06:30 PM

There's always that mustardy stuff in SC... (They had to find some way to distinguish themselves.)

-jk

sagegrouse
07-18-2015, 07:50 PM
There's always that mustardy stuff in SC... (They had to find some way to distinguish themselves.)

-jk

As a native, I believe that South Carolina couldn't care less what anyone else thinks of its barbecue sauce, as BBQ is pretty far down the list of priorities in the Palmetto State. In my old neck of the woods -- the Lowcountry -- fried shrimp, boiled shrimp and boiled peanuts were far more important. In recent trips, boiled peanuts have been harder to find, so things may be changing a bit.

JohnGalt
07-18-2015, 08:09 PM

-jk

What a lame comment in a thread so full of useful/fun info.

The mustard-based sauce is traditionally only preferred in one section of South Carolina and is considered the byproduct of German settlers moving to the area a couple hundred years ago. Color me one who thinks that bit of singularity adds quite a bit to the 'Duke vs Kentucky' discussion.

JohnGalt
07-18-2015, 08:13 PM
I will take care of you. Just give me a little time. For now, however, I can tell you that Goode is the best, of the very, very few in town. Go a little south to Killen's and get the rib. Killer.

ricks

Forgot about my request for options!

I've been to Goode twice and it's thoroughly satisfactory, but nothing more. There must be more to this place than that....no?

ricks68
07-19-2015, 02:51 AM
Forgot about my request for options!

I've been to Goode twice and it's thoroughly satisfactory, but nothing more. There must be more to this place than that....no?

The pecan pie is excellent. That's it. Go to Killen's. Trust me. Get a beef rib. They literally melt in your mouth. All you need is one to split with whoever you go with, or you can go home with it and reheat at about 375 for 20 minutes or so---or just eat it cold.

Killen's is now being regarded as the new best BBQ after Franklin's in Texas. We carried a big bag full of ribs (3) back with us to Asheville from Houston a few weeks ago and it kept just fine. The security at the airport saw the name on the bag and kept us there raving about the ribs and was very envious.

Oh, the to go ribs can be much bigger than the one you get on the plate, so work with them a little to get close to the size you want if you don't want the plate or want just a rib to go. The plate ribs run about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds and cost less per pound with sides for some reason, but the to go ribs can end up as much as 3 pounds. And yes, that's ONE rib!

ricks

Bob Green
07-19-2015, 05:24 AM
In the past 12 months I have eaten at...Wilber's in Goldsboro...

How was Wilber's? I watched some YouTube clips on the place and it looks great so I thought I might jump in the truck some Saturday morning and drive down to Goldsboro and give it a try.

devildeac
07-19-2015, 06:56 AM
How was Wilber's? I watched some YouTube clips on the place and it looks great so I thought I might jump in the truck some Saturday morning and drive down to Goldsboro and give it a try.

Let me know when. You might have a visitor join you...

roywhite
07-19-2015, 07:31 AM
The pecan pie is excellent. That's it. Go to Killen's. Trust me. Get a beef rib. They literally melt in your mouth. All you need is one to split with whoever you go with, or you can go home with it and reheat at about 375 for 20 minutes or so---or just eat it cold.

Killen's is now being regarded as the new best BBQ after Franklin's in Texas. We carried a big bag full of ribs (3) back with us to Asheville from Houston a few weeks ago and it kept just fine. The security at the airport saw the name on the bag and kept us there raving about the ribs and was very envious.

ricks

Top 5 BBQ Restaurants from Food Network (http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/top-5-restaurants/100-series/best-bbq.html)

Nice coverage of Killen's in this show (it aired recently and is probably still being shown at times on the Food Network channel)

North Carolina was represented by the Skylight Inn in Ayden.

superdave
07-19-2015, 08:30 AM

Wilber's is fantastic. The first several times I tried Wilber's was up here in DC. The Seymour Support Council would have Wilber's folks come up and do a lunch on Capitol Hill and a dinner at the Chief of Staff of the Air Force's house. Not sure if they still do it or not but the pols and AF folks loved it.

I have been to the restaurant a couple of times. In addition to great smoke on the pig, the fried chicken is really good. I recommend the combo plate.

I would put Wilber's and Parker's in an elite cetegory by themselves for the Eastern stuff.

Bob Green
07-19-2015, 08:45 AM
Wilber's is fantastic.

Thanks! I'll have to head down and give it a try.

devildeac
07-19-2015, 08:46 AM

Let me know when. You might have a visitor join you...

Top 5 BBQ Restaurants from Food Network (http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/top-5-restaurants/100-series/best-bbq.html)

Nice coverage of Killen's in this show (it aired recently and is probably still being shown at times on the Food Network channel)

North Carolina was represented by the Skylight Inn in Ayden.

Wilber's is fantastic. The first several times I tried Wilber's was up here in DC. The Seymour Support Council would have Wilber's folks come up and do a lunch on Capitol Hill and a dinner at the Chief of Staff of the Air Force's house. Not sure if they still do it or not but the pols and AF folks loved it.

I have been to the restaurant a couple of times. In addition to great smoke on the pig, the fried chicken is really good. I recommend the combo plate.

I would put Wilber's and Parker's in an elite cetegory by themselves for the Eastern stuff.

Maybe we should meet at the Skylight Inn for lunch, then tour the Mother Earth Brewery in Kinston mid-afternoon and have dinner at Wilbers...

Bob Green
07-19-2015, 09:17 AM
Maybe we should meet at the Skylight Inn for lunch, then tour the Mother Earth Brewery in Kinston mid-afternoon and have dinner at Wilbers...

That would be a full day.

lotusland
07-19-2015, 09:27 AM

I loved Wilber's too. I've tried Parker's in Wilson twice a it was not as good imo. I have not tried Parker's in Greenville yet.

devildeac
07-19-2015, 01:19 PM

And hopefully, worth every morsel and drop of it;).

And then take-out for the family for the next day or two...

CameronBornAndBred
07-19-2015, 02:10 PM
Wilber's is often one of my stops to or from football games, if nothing else, simply to load up on some excellent hushpuppies.

CameronBornAndBred
07-19-2015, 02:12 PM
Stop in to the Overland Gallery around the corner from Mother Earth, I have a few paintings hanging. (None are of bbq.)

devildeac
07-19-2015, 03:56 PM
Stop in to the Overland Gallery around the corner from Mother Earth, I have a few paintings hanging. (None are of bbq.)

I was kind of expecting you to join us for the eastern NC Tour de 'Cue;).

CameronBornAndBred
07-19-2015, 04:08 PM
I was kind of expecting you to join us for the eastern NC Tour de 'Cue;).
Quite possibly, depending on when you hit 'em up. :)

To keep this on topic, the True Blue Cue Crew will be participating in the Cary Beer, Bourbon & BBQ Festival July 31-Aug 1.
Stop on by and sample. :) (We'll be too busy cooking to hit up the beer & bourbon festivities, but I'm sure we'll have a sampling of both under our tent.)

http://www.beerandbourbon.com/cary/show-info

devildeac
07-19-2015, 04:46 PM

Ayden-Skylight Inn
Kinston-Kings and Mother Earth Brewing
Goldsboro-Wilber's
Wilson-Parker's; Bill's

There's your itinerary. Starting to look/sound like a two day trip now...

;)

Tripping William
07-19-2015, 04:59 PM
Ayden-Skylight Inn
Goldsboro-Wilber's
Wilson-Parker's; Bill's

;)

And that doesn't include Boiler Room oyster bar in Kinston, which is also can't-miss. Y'all gonna explode.

devildeac
07-19-2015, 05:13 PM
And that doesn't include Boiler Room oyster bar in Kinston, which is also can't-miss. Y'all gonna explode.

Never been there/heard of it. Guess we'll just have to make it there for apps...

roywhite
07-19-2015, 06:45 PM
Ayden-Skylight Inn
Goldsboro-Wilber's
Wilson-Parker's; Bill's

;)

Sorry to introduce Duke Basketball in this thread :), but perhaps you all could take Brandon Ingram with you and make sure he gets filled up.

How did he get along living in this area and being so thin?

Tripping William
07-19-2015, 06:54 PM
Never been there/heard of it. Guess we'll just have to make it there for apps...

Literally (in the jimsumner sense) across the street from Mother Earth.

I'd accept some Silent Night or Tripel Overhead for the tip ..... 😃

devildeac
07-19-2015, 07:31 PM

Ayden-Skylight Inn
Goldsboro-Wilber's
Wilson-Parker's; Bill's

;)

If this comes to fruition, I might have to take a Friday off from work for this, then head to the NC coast and return on Saturday for the rest of the eastern NC Tour de 'Cue. And, look in the retail 'fridges at Mother Earth for some old and/or new Silent Night and/or Tripel for Tripping William (and fuse, and ricks68 and maybe even a bottle or two for personal consumption:o)

OneK
07-20-2015, 01:44 AM
If its evolved into a weekend excursion might as well hit up the Chef and the Farmer in Kinston and Duck-Rabbit in Farmville.

devildeac
07-20-2015, 06:48 AM
If its evolved into a weekend excursion might as well hit up the Chef and the Farmer in Kinston and Duck-Rabbit in Farmville.

Good tips. I had thought about both those, too. Might have to be a 3 day weekend now:o.

Indoor66
07-20-2015, 08:32 AM
Good tips. I had thought about both those, too. Might have to be a 3 day weekend now:o.

...for a lifetime experience! :cool:

CameronBornAndBred
07-20-2015, 08:38 AM
Make reservations well in advance. (Get the fried kale if they have it on the menu, too. We gotta make that for tailgate one day.)

DukieInKansas
07-20-2015, 12:02 PM

Will you take out of town guests?

devildeac
07-20-2015, 12:51 PM
Will you take out of town guests?

You bet! When you arrange your trip to Derm for a game, we should make it a schedule like I posted upthread and include whoever from DBR that wishes to accompany us and that's not just crazietalk;). But that might limit us to Friday only considering how well we'll be fed before, during and after the Saturday game:o.

DukieInKansas
07-20-2015, 04:47 PM
You bet! When you arrange your trip to Derm for a game, we should make it a schedule like I posted upthread and include whoever from DBR that wishes to accompany us and that's not just crazietalk;). But that might limit us to Friday only considering how well we'll be fed before, during and after the Saturday game:o.

I'll probably fly in - so can I bum a ride for the feeding frenzy? :D

devildeac
07-20-2015, 07:32 PM
I'll probably fly in - so can I bum a ride for the feeding frenzy? :D

For 'cue, you bet!

(just don't say that too fast:o)

OZZIE4DUKE
07-21-2015, 06:43 AM
For 'cue, you bet!

That just may end up on page 145 of the ACC media guide ....:rolleyes:

Indoor66
07-21-2015, 08:10 AM
For 'cue, you bet!

Maybe this should become an annual event. Maybe the "uncheat sports memorial feast." (It is a small event!)

duke blue brewcrew
07-21-2015, 03:46 PM
I give full credit to those in this thread that recommended Backyard BBQ Pit. They were right on all accounts.

1 - Hole in the wall - Check
2 - Deliciousness on a plate - CHECK
3 - Very reasonably priced - Check

I don't advise going there on a hot day if you want to eat-in, those are good carry out days. There are two ceiling fans in the whole place trying to cool things down - not very effective on a 90+ degree day. Aside from that, the food is very good. I kept it simple, had the BBQ Pork plate with mac-n-cheese and collards. The BBQ was very good, and the sauce surprised me - it's Eastern, but with a slight Western lean IMO. The mac-n-cheese was sin on a plate and worth every bite! I would hazard a guess of 55%-45% Cheese to Mac ratio, some of the best I've ever had. Thanks for the recommendation, I will be going back the next time I'm in town.

Bob Green
07-21-2015, 08:08 PM
I kept it simple, had the BBQ Pork plate with mac-n-cheese and collards.

You left us hanging, how were the collards?

opossum
07-21-2015, 09:08 PM
I was driving up 29 from Charlottesville, VA to the DC suburbs after a day trip a couple of weekends ago, and stopped at Big B's Barbecue in Ruckersville, VA based on google map and yelp searching for barbecue places for dinner along the way. Big B's is in a little building shared with a barber shop (they even share a bathroom) just east of the highway on Spotswood Trail.

I first noticed the big smoker out back while looking for parking. Good sign. I went in first to check it out, and everything looked right. My only pause was that they served beef along side the pulled pork, and they offered only ketchupy sauces, but out here in the barbecue hinterlands of northern Virginia we take what we can get. Brought the family in, and we ordered a pulled pork sandwich, a brisket sandwich (to hedge our bets -- sometimes those are better around here, such as at Sibby's in Warrenton -- great brisket, good pork), a burger and more pulled pork for the kids plus mac and cheese and hushpuppies.

The pulled pork was the real deal. Excellent. The best I've had at any restaurant outside North Carolina, and better than most 'cue I've had at restaurants inside North Carolina. Any NC expats in the area who haven't been or anyone traveling through, it's worth a stop. The brisket, mac and cheese, and hushpuppies (1" sphere-type, not my favorite style but well executed for what they were) were all great too. Didn't try anything else on the menu.

Found their website when I got home:

http://bigbsbbqva.com/story.htm

Sure enough, the owner is from NC. (My daughter did spot his UNC hat, as she is trained to do). He doesn't say which part of NC he's from on the website, but the ketchup sauces may be a clue. The pork absolutely does not need sauce (I enjoyed it on the hushpuppies). He cooks only with hickory wood, and they're only open three days a week, another mark of seriousness in my book. They cook every day they're open according to the waiter. Glad to find a place that's still doing it right.

Turk
08-23-2015, 06:34 PM
Turns out my corporate overlords have assigned me to a little project in the Plano / Frisco area, north of Dallas. Any intel / recommendations on BBQ to supplement whatever the Googler spits at me? Won't have time to do much touristy stuff, but a good meal at the end of the day is essential...

ricks68
08-24-2015, 03:24 AM
Turns out my corporate overlords have assigned me to a little project in the Plano / Frisco area, north of Dallas. Any intel / recommendations on BBQ to supplement whatever the Googler spits at me? Won't have time to do much touristy stuff, but a good meal at the end of the day is essential...

There's a place in a flea market or a strip mall with small stores or something like that made the top list of Texas Monthly a few times. If I can remember to check it later in the day (I have to go to sleep now) I will get it to you. That may be your best bet (excellent, actually) in Dallas. Otherwise, you will have to go very south. Send me a PM to remind me, or just bump this thread to the top later and I will see it.

ricks

ricks68
08-24-2015, 11:25 PM

OK. Got the Dallas area BBQ place for you. Read all about it:

http://www.pecanlodge.com/

http://www.tmbbq.com/joints/pecan-lodge/

http://www.yelp.com/biz/pecan-lodge-dallas-3

Now, you must go there and file the obligatory report. Be aware, however, that you must eat what you are supposed to eat there---and go early in your stay so that you can return again before you leave because it will be soooooooo good!:D

You're welcome,

ricks

Olympic Fan
08-25-2015, 02:32 PM
OK. Got the Dallas area BBQ place for you. Read all about it:

http://www.pecanlodge.com/

http://www.tmbbq.com/joints/pecan-lodge/

http://www.yelp.com/biz/pecan-lodge-dallas-3

Now, you must go there and file the obligatory report. Be aware, however, that you must eat what you are supposed to eat there---and go early in your stay so that you can return again before you leave because it will be soooooooo good!:D

You're welcome,

ricks

Never been to the Pecan Lodge, but I've had a lot of experience with Texas 'que. I would strongly recommend the beef brisket, the sausage or the ribs (especially the beef ribs). I'd pass on the pulled pork -- not that it's bad, but you can get better pulled pork in North Carolina. If you're traveling all the way to Texas, get something they do better than us.

Of course, if you are from the north or Kentucky and can't get decent pulled pork where you live, I withdraw my comments.

And, I repeat, I'm making a general observation about Texas 'cue, not a specific comment about this place.

JohnJ
08-25-2015, 03:00 PM
Pecan Lodge is a very good BBQ place but it is quite a drive from Plano/Frisco. If you want something a little closer, I would recommend the following:

http://www.lockhartsmokehouse.com

http://kennyssmoke.com

The first one is on the east side of Plano while the second is on the west side.

JohnJ
08-25-2015, 03:20 PM
Update: I forgot Hutchins BBQ in Frisco. Of the three I listed I like Hutchins the best but only by a little. None of the three are quite as good as Pecan Lodge.

http://hutchinsbbq.com/frisco-bbq/

ricks68
08-25-2015, 07:33 PM
Pecan Lodge is a very good BBQ place but it is quite a drive from Plano/Frisco. If you want something a little closer, I would recommend the following:

The first one is on the east side of Plano while the second is on the west side.

Sounds like you know what you are talking about. Kreuz is not known for its brisket, however, and it appears just from the picture of the brisket on the Lockhart Smokehouse site that it is still not representative of the best you can sample in Texas. The pork rib and the sausage are very good from Kreuz. I don't know anything about the other 2 places you recommended (one from your other post), but it appears that you know your stuff.

My advice to anyone that has the chance to try really, really good Texas BBQ, however, is to go the extra miles to get it if at all possible. I have no idea of the travel time to Pecan Lodge, but if I were even in the general area, I would go for it. (But then, this is coming from someone that used to drive to Kreuz from Houston for lunch a few times or more a year, and then turn around and drive back----about 2 1/2 hours each way. I did switch to Snow's the past 4 or 5 years because it's better and about a half hour or so shorter from Houston. Now, when I fly back to Houston, I only drive about a half hour to Killen's [killer, killer, killer rib and brisket], which is the newly rated #2 behind Franklin's.):):):)

ricks

ricks68
08-25-2015, 07:41 PM
Never been to the Pecan Lodge, but I've had a lot of experience with Texas 'que. I would strongly recommend the beef brisket, the sausage or the ribs (especially the beef ribs). I'd pass on the pulled pork -- not that it's bad, but you can get better pulled pork in North Carolina. If you're traveling all the way to Texas, get something they do better than us.

Of course, if you are from the north or Kentucky and can't get decent pulled pork where you live, I withdraw my comments.

And, I repeat, I'm making a general observation about Texas 'cue, not a specific comment about this place.

I have never seen a Texas BBQ joint that had pulled pork, let alone tried it there. Doesn't mean it is not possible, but pulled pork is not Texas BBQ, so I have to agree with you on the pass if it appears on the menu. Don't need no stinkin' sauce on Texas BBQ, just maybe some heat.:D

ricks

mattman91
08-25-2015, 07:48 PM
I have never seen a Texas BBQ joint that had pulled pork, let alone tried it there. Doesn't mean it is not possible, but pulled pork is not Texas BBQ, so I have to agree with you on the pass if it appears on the menu. Don't need no stinkin' sauce on Texas BBQ, just maybe some heat.:D

ricks

^

I agree with this, thanks to you for introducing it.

I'd also add that NC BBQ doesn't need any stinkin' sauce either, if its good :p

Olympic Fan
08-25-2015, 10:41 PM

ricks

It IS on the menu at Pecan Lodge (which is why I posted the warning) ... I've seen it offered at a few other Texas places. I love pulled pork, so when I was young and foolish, I tried it several time in Texas. As I grew older and wiser, I learned to stick to the items they routinely do better than us -- brisket and ribs being the top two items.

Thurber Whyte
08-25-2015, 11:56 PM
If you are near Dallas/Fort Worth, I would recommend Angelo's in Fort Worth. They have a shredded beef BBQ sandwich that just melts in your mouth.

JohnJ
08-26-2015, 04:04 AM
Sounds like you know what you are talking about. Kreuz is not known for its brisket, however, and it appears just from the picture of the brisket on the Lockhart Smokehouse site that it is still not representative of the best you can sample in Texas. The pork rib and the sausage are very good from Kreuz. I don't know anything about the other 2 places you recommended (one from your other post), but it appears that you know your stuff.

My advice to anyone that has the chance to try really, really good Texas BBQ, however, is to go the extra miles to get it if at all possible. I have no idea of the travel time to Pecan Lodge, but if I were even in the general area, I would go for it. (But then, this is coming from someone that used to drive to Kreuz from Houston for lunch a few times or more a year, and then turn around and drive back----about 2 1/2 hours each way. I did switch to Snow's the past 4 or 5 years because it's better and about a half hour or so shorter from Houston. Now, when I fly back to Houston, I only drive about a half hour to Killen's [killer, killer, killer rib and brisket], which is the newly rated #2 behind Franklin's.):):):)

ricks

I LOVE Kreuz Market in Bryan/College Station. When we drive down to Houston to see relatives we always try to stop there to eat (and we normally drive the back roads instead of I-45).

devilish
08-26-2015, 05:46 AM
Ayden-Skylight Inn
Goldsboro-Wilber's
Wilson-Parker's; Bill's

;)

As a Wilson resident, with family scattered all over eastern NC, I can save y'all a bunch of time and gas. Just head over to Ken's Grill in LaGrange, NC. Just only on a Wednesday or Saturday, as those are the only days they cook pork. Except for the hushpuppies, sides are nothing special, but barbecue has the best flavor of them all. Not on the menu, but ask for cracklin's on the side. Everyone loves their fish stew, but that's not my thing.

And yes, I'd go to the Boiler Room for oysters, burgers, and beer. They have a side called poutine... fries smothered in eastern style barbecue, smothered in cheese, smothered in gravy.

killerleft
08-26-2015, 10:41 AM
As a Wilson resident, with family scattered all over eastern NC, I can save y'all a bunch of time and gas. Just head over to Ken's Grill in LaGrange, NC. Just only on a Wednesday or Saturday, as those are the only days they cook pork. Except for the hushpuppies, sides are nothing special, but barbecue has the best flavor of them all. Not on the menu, but ask for cracklin's on the side. Everyone loves their fish stew, but that's not my thing.

And yes, I'd go to the Boiler Room for oysters, burgers, and beer. They have a side called poutine... fries smothered in eastern style barbecue, smothered in cheese, smothered in gravy.

Sácre Bleu! Eastern N.C.-style poutine! And I thought the Canadian-style poutine sounded nasty.:) Lexington-style is better, everybody knows you just throw ketchup on fries.;)

ricks68
08-27-2015, 03:25 AM
Well, we finally cranked up the correct thread for off season basketball, and look how long it took us.;) Some really interesting stuff in here, too. Kudos to all the contributors so far. Well done.

ricks

mattman91
08-27-2015, 10:09 AM
Well, we finally cranked up the correct thread for off season basketball, and look how long it took us.;) Some really interesting stuff in here, too. Kudos to all the contributors so far. Well done.

ricks

Buxton Hall BBQ opens up tomorrow I believe. If the BBQ sucks at least there are 6 or 7 breweries around the block to hit up :cool:

Turk
09-02-2015, 11:18 PM

Alas, Pecan Lodge not on the horizon near term, but remains on the bucket list, if only so that I can say I've been to Deep Elem, "where the women give you those Deep Elem blues..."

Anyway, I made it to Kenny's. It's in a generic office / residential / retail development called Legacy, which in Texas apparently means "everything was built within the last 15 years" ("they keep using that word; I don't think it means what they think it means.") Plenty of dining options, great place for spa treatments, high-end jewelry, and yoga togs; not so good if you want to buy a book, everyday toiletries, or a takeout 6-pack.

As a generic upscale storefront, Kenny's is nothing special. There are grip-n-grin pictures all over the walls (couldn't tell if they were celebs or locals), and the place could be repurposed into a Chipotle over a weekend if the landlord changes their mind. Unlike the well-known Texas BBQ places, Kenny's does not sell by weight; they offer a standard apps / mains / sides / desserts menu. I sat at the bar and decided to go for broke and went with a sampler platter - marbled brisket, pulled pork, pork ribs, and cheddar / jalapeno sausage, with my go-to sides of collards and mac-n-cheese. Paired it with Lakewood Lager, an acceptable Texas cousin of the Yuengling / Sam Adams extended family. The brisket was a clear winner, with the pulled pork a close second. I was pleasantly surprised by the sausage; I normally don't bother with sausage at BBQ joints, since I like my sausage the way I like my women - hot and Italian. (yes, a long way to go for a bad joke). The sides were generous portions; the collards had some crunch to them, and I doctored the mac-n-cheese by chopping up the roasted jalapeno that came as a garnish for the plate.

All in all, a very good meal. Mr. Kenny has set the baseline for when I wander into the other places JohnJ suggested, and I would definitely make a return visit. The only quibble I have is with the menu - I would like to see a "pick two meat" option, so I could go with larger portions of the brisket and either the pork or the sausage depending on my mood. The only combo was chicken and ribs, and I am not going to bother with chicken in Texas.

P.S. And this has nothing to do with BBQ, but should I try an In-and-Out burger here, or hold out for a someday-maybe-never trip to SoCal for a "real" In-and-Out?

Billy Dat
10-28-2015, 09:49 AM
the 11/2/15 issue of The New Yorker is the annual Food Issue and there is an article germane to this thread:

"In Defense of the True 'Cue - Keeping pork pure in North Carolina"
by Calvin Trillin

Teaser opening paragraph:

"For some years, I am now prepared to admit, I somehow labored under the impression that Rocky Mount is the line of demarcation that separates the two principal schools of North Carolina barbecue. Wrong. That line of demarcation is, roughly, Raleigh, sixty miles west."

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/11/02/in-defense-of-the-true-cue

killerleft
10-28-2015, 10:44 AM
the 11/2/15 issue of The New Yorker is the annual Food Issue and there is an article germane to this thread:

by Calvin Trillin

"For some years, I am now prepared to admit, I somehow labored under the impression that Rocky Mount is the line of demarcation that separates the two principal schools of North Carolina barbecue. Wrong. That line of demarcation is, roughly, Raleigh, sixty miles west."

Thanks for the link! That, to me, is a rare story about North Carolina 'que that described our favorite food honestly and fairly.

devildeac
10-28-2015, 11:50 AM

by Calvin Trillin

At least he's getting closer/moving in the correct direction:rolleyes:.

MChambers
01-24-2016, 11:42 AM
Wednesday night, my adult son told me that the local (Washington DC) Safeway had a bunch of pork shoulders on sale. I told him to pick one up, so we'd be adequately prepared for the blizzard. He went the next day, and said he got some strange looks, because he was only buying a shoulder, some buns, chips, and cabbage. Everyone else was buying toilet paper and bottled water.

Friday morning, before the snow hit, I fired up our Big Green Egg, and put on the shoulder. 7 hours later, after cooking at 200F, we had many pounds of tender BBQ. (Eastern style, should you care.)

Served some last night, with some neighbors who were able to walk to our house through the 22" of snow. We also have enough for several more meals, stowed away in the freezer, for the next big storm.

MartyClark
01-24-2016, 02:05 PM
Wednesday night, my adult son told me that the local (Washington DC) Safeway had a bunch of pork shoulders on sale. I told him to pick one up, so we'd be adequately prepared for the blizzard. He went the next day, and said he got some strange looks, because he was only buying a shoulder, some buns, chips, and cabbage. Everyone else was buying toilet paper and bottled water.

Friday morning, before the snow hit, I fired up our Big Green Egg, and put on the shoulder. 7 hours later, after cooking at 200F, we had many pounds of tender BBQ. (Eastern style, should you care.)

Served some last night, with some neighbors who were able to walk to our house through the 22" of snow. We also have enough for several more meals, stowed away in the freezer, for the next big storm.

How are you liking that Big Green Egg? I've been considering that purchase.

Indoor66
01-24-2016, 02:07 PM
I'm jealous and there's no snow here! :)

devildeac
01-24-2016, 02:19 PM
I'm jealous and there's no snow here! :)

Maybe -jk and weezie can pack some in large boxes with a suitable quantity of dry ice and FedEx/UPS it to you overnight :rolleyes: :p .

MChambers
01-24-2016, 03:56 PM
We really like it. Have had it for many years, probably 15 or more. Very easy to control the temperature, so you can cook in a variety of ways. If you get one, use a charcoal chimney to get the charcoal going.

OldPhiKap
01-24-2016, 04:23 PM

Love mine. There is a whole BGE thread on the off-topic board if you want more info:

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?33870-Big-Green-Egg!!!&highlight=green

Indoor66
01-24-2016, 04:44 PM
Maybe -jk and weezie can pack some in large boxes with a suitable quantity of dry ice and FedEx/UPS it to you overnight .

Don't want none of that shiite here. At 58° I am freezing now! :mad::p:cool:

OZZIE4DUKE
05-27-2022, 01:43 PM
Ed Mitchell has been elected to the BBQ Hall of Fame! I am proud to have eaten in his former restaurant in Wilson, NC and later at the Pit in Raleigh. I really loved his baby back ribs!
https://www.newsobserver.com/living/food-drink/article261826400.html?ac_cid=DM651684&ac_bid=-1245432