PDA

View Full Version : A woman in the NBA?

Wheat/"/"/"
12-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Here is an article (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ian_thomsen/12/04/countdown/) that I thought was interesting and ripe for discussion.

Basically, the question is can a woman play in the NBA?

My thought is it is possible in the future, although I have not seen a female player yet that I thought could make it.

One thing I am sure of, it will not be a frontcourt player. Just too physical down low for women.

PG is the only position I think is ever likely to break the barrier.

JaMarcus Russell
12-06-2009, 08:47 PM
I just don't see it ever happening. If Candace Parker played against men, how good would she be? I am guessing that she would be a good reserve on a mid-major team like Iona. I don't see too many rotation players from Iona in the NBA.

CameronBornAndBred
12-06-2009, 08:49 PM
As much as I wish it were possible, I say no and here's why..
Think of all of the guys at Duke who we thought (or thought themselves) could make it in the NBA and didn't. This includes a short recent list of those such as Daniel Ewing, Sean Dockery, and DeMarcus Nelson. Nelson is a real good example. I can't think of any woman who is more athletic, quicker, has more basketball smarts and ability than Nelson. ("More" is a key word) He was given an incredible shot, played for 2 NBA teams, and in the NBADL, and yet still was not able to play in the league. His height is comparable to the taller women. Since a woman would have to perform BETTER than DeMarcus to earn a roster position, I just don't see it. The only way it happens is if an owner wants to sell tickets.

Greg_Newton
12-06-2009, 08:59 PM
I definitely don't see this ever happening. I knew guys in school that were on the women's practice squad that weren't near good enough to even make the men's club team. The degree of separation is pretty huge, IMO.

Wheat/"/"/"
12-06-2009, 09:19 PM
I'm not so quick to say never, although I agree its off on the horizon.

She'd have to have exceptional court vision...Jason Kidd court vision...not to mention handle it like Muggsy, and shoot it like Kerr.

That's not asking for much, is it? :)

Acymetric
12-06-2009, 09:23 PM
I know this isn't a measurement of basketball skills, but how many NBA players can't dunk in any capacity, whether in-game or just messing around by themselves in a gym? How many female guards can do this? Thats a pretty big athletic disadvantage to overcome. Women are also legitimately slower than men, as evidenced by race times for men and women in track. I just can't see it ever. The Michael Jordan of womens basketball could probably make a team, but would be the last (wo)man off the bench, or close to it.

That said, women's basketball is fun to watch, I'm certainly not trying to knock female basketball players or athletes here. Facts is facts.

FireOgilvie
12-06-2009, 09:38 PM
There would be so many media/locker room/other distractions, a woman in the NBA seems like a bad idea even if there was one that could compete.

Wheat/"/"/"
12-06-2009, 09:47 PM
... but how many NBA players can't dunk in any capacity....

If the NBA wasn't a team game and went solely on individual skills, I'd agree, no way a woman could compete physically.

But I also saw Muggsy Bogues play in the NBA for 14 seasons at 5'3" 136 lbs, and play well.

Muggsy was unique, I know, but women players are getting more athletic all the time, and I won't rule out that a once in a liftime talent could come along some day and make a roster to play a specific role.

JaMarcus Russell
12-06-2009, 09:48 PM
The Michael Jordan of womens basketball could probably make a team, but would be the last (wo)man off the bench, or close to it.

That's pretty much what Candace Parker is right? And I doubt she could start for a single D-1 basketball team.

Acymetric
12-06-2009, 09:56 PM
That's pretty much what Candace Parker is right? And I doubt she could start for a single D-1 basketball team.

I'm not sure thats true...there are a lot of bad, bad D-1 teams out there. Over 300, I forget the number. I'm also not sure Candace is to women's basketball what MJ was to men's...at least at this point.

BlueintheFace
12-06-2009, 10:01 PM
The only way I could see it was a woman sharpshooter with incredible range who could come in when the team is down late or in need of a large comeback. She'd have to (a) be subbed offense for defense if possible, or (b) be lightning quick in order to keep up with the opposing team's PG/SG.

Basically, its not happening unless it is a publicity stunt.

JaMarcus Russell
12-06-2009, 10:02 PM
The very best players on the women's practice team were guys who had offers from very small D-1 programs or "offers" from academically oriented D-3 schools like Middlebury, and they played very close games with a top 5 women's team that featured Alana Beard.

Poincaré
12-06-2009, 10:19 PM
One point that is being ignored here: Isn't the women's ball smaller than the men's ball? First of all, let us admit that if a woman could have an advantage over a man in the NBA, it is not defense. A woman's shooting, ball-handling, rebounding, passing, catching would all suffer with a bigger ball. That is before we begin to account for the difference in playing against men. I think David Stern is just trying to advertise the WNBA with his statement rather than making an honest assessment.

DukeUsul
12-06-2009, 11:22 PM
I'm not so quick to say never, although I agree its off on the horizon.

She'd have to have exceptional court vision...Jason Kidd court vision...not to mention handle it like Muggsy, and shoot it like Kerr.

That's not asking for much, is it? :)

Actually, I think these are the kinds of things it'd be easy for a woman to be able to compete on - I don't think court vision, handle or shooting skill would depend at all on sex. The areas where, on average, women are at a disadvantage would be other things like strength, speed, jumping ability and size. So I think it would be a while before we see a woman player who could break down NBA wings off the dribble and take it to the rack. But a woman who's 6'2" with a good handle who can shoot the three? Why not?

Acymetric
12-06-2009, 11:40 PM
Actually, I think these are the kinds of things it'd be easy for a woman to be able to compete on - I don't think court vision, handle or shooting skill would depend at all on sex. The areas where, on average, women are at a disadvantage would be other things like strength, speed, jumping ability and size. So I think it would be a while before we see a woman player who could break down NBA wings off the dribble and take it to the rack. But a woman who's 6'2" with a good handle who can shoot the three? Why not?

Because chances are there's a guy who's 6'2 with a good handle who can shoot the three who is also more effective getting to the rack and can keep up on defense. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I would be surprised. People mention women getting more athletic, but so are the men...is the gap closing? Maybe.

phaedrus
12-06-2009, 11:43 PM
But a woman who's 6'2" with a good handle who can shoot the three? Why not?

Because there are thousands of males that meet those criteria. They don't make the NBA. Some of them don't even make it to college ball. There is a minimum baseline of - and I hate to use a recent Duke-related buzzword - athleticism you need to be an elite basketball player, even if your basketball fundamentals are off the charts. You just can't compete, offensively or defensively, otherwise.

I think a woman in the NBA would need to be either as good a shooter as there is in the league or as good a point guard (fundamentally) as there is in the league, plus be an absolute athletic marvel - a Lebron-level athletic marvel, too, not just an MJ-level athletic marvel.

kmspeaks
12-06-2009, 11:55 PM
I know you never say never but I don't see it working for one reason.

Most males don't want to play with females. Especially not if the woman has skills and not in a serious game. I was far from a DI prospect growing up but I could shoot the 3 a little bit, better than most of the guys I played pick up ball with. Even when I had to use a guy's ball.

It didn't matter. I got treated the same as somebody's way younger brother. I get one or two shots early just so the guys can say they gave me the ball and the rest of the game they're content to play 4 v 5 on offense. Doesn't matter how wide open I am or that my first 2 shots hit nothing but net. You're a girl you don't get the ball, simple as that. At least that was my experience. You could argue that NBA players are professionals and if somebody can play they'll give them the ball but at the very least I believe there will be hesitation. That could be the difference between an open look and a contested shot.

DukeBlueNikeShox
12-07-2009, 12:31 AM
I believe Diana Taurasi could play in the NBA, especially on Phoenix. Steve Nash passing her the rock? She could get at least 12 points. Ann Meyers was drafted by the Pacers. And we all know that Reggie Miller could never beat his sister Cheryl. Candace Parker couldn't play in the League b/c she has weak handles and not a strong perimeter game.

As far as women playing on a men's college team, there's no doubt in my mind that Maya Moore could play on several DI men's teams...

darthur
12-07-2009, 04:30 AM
I believe Diana Taurasi could play in the NBA, especially on Phoenix. Steve Nash passing her the rock? She could get at least 12 points.

For the record, 12 points is exactly how much Grant Hill is averaging in 30 minutes per game for Phoenix. Just saying.

flyingdutchdevil
12-07-2009, 08:55 AM
Due to the physicality and athleticism needed for basketball, we'll see a woman play in the following men's sports before basketball is even considered (if I name a sport for both men and women, I imply a woman playing in the men's field): golf (already happened), tennis, soccer, baseball, volleyball, cricket, a whole lot others. I really don't see it happening, unless LeBron gets a sex-change operation.

Wheat/"/"/"
12-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Because there are thousands of males that meet those criteria. They don't make the NBA. Some of them don't even make it to college ball. There is a minimum baseline of - and I hate to use a recent Duke-related buzzword - athleticism you need to be an elite basketball player, even if your basketball fundamentals are off the charts. You just can't compete, offensively or defensively, otherwise.

I think a woman in the NBA would need to be either as good a shooter as there is in the league or as good a point guard (fundamentally) as there is in the league, plus be an absolute athletic marvel - a Lebron-level athletic marvel, too, not just an MJ-level athletic marvel.

I'm not so sure it wouldn't be possible for a woman with exceptional court vision to make up for the difference in athleticism.

She'd still have to be the top woman athlete, and a sick shooter and ballhandler.

CDu
12-07-2009, 09:53 AM
I'm not so sure it wouldn't be possible for a woman with exceptional court vision to make up for the difference in athleticism.

She'd still have to be the top woman athlete, and a sick shooter and ballhandler.

It's not impossible, but I'd say it's REALLY unlikely. She'd have to be quick/fast/strong enough to stay on the floor defensively, which is asking a lot. She'd also have to be quick/fast/strong enough that her skillset wouldn't be completely overwhelmed by the size/strength/speed/quickness/leaping ability of her opponents. And even then, she'd have to beat out the thousands of other fantastic players who are just on the cusp of making the NBA.

It's not just the athleticism, it's the combination of the size difference AND the athleticism difference. A 5'8" female with Jason Kidd-like vision would still struggle with having to play against guys who were typically 6 inches taller AND more athletic. She'd have to have unbelievable skills to overcome that difference, in my opinion.

Could it happen? I guess almost anything is possible. But I'd say the probability of it happening is very very close to zero.

Wheat/"/"/"
12-07-2009, 10:28 AM
Phil Jackson (http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2009/12/phil-jackson-on-women-in-nba-no-way/) doesn't seem to think it's likely...

jv001
12-07-2009, 10:36 AM
If players like D-Marc can't make it in the NBA, there is not a woman alive that can make the NBA. The only way it happens is if it's a marketing ploy. Then it could happen. Look at JJ, he hardly played his first few years. Go Duke!

devil84
12-07-2009, 11:34 AM
The NBA started in 1946 -- 63 years ago. The WNBA started in 1996 -- 13 years ago. What were the NBA players like 13 years into the league? How do the women compare over the first 13 years of their league? (Uh...no need to really pick this apart in detail -- and I'm not a follower of the women's game nor the pro game, so I can't really answer these questions in detail, but I think I can make an educated guess.)

So that means the oldest girls who have lived their entire lives with a women's pro league are now in high school. The oldest boys who have lived their entire lives with a men's pro league are about to retire. Why does that matter? Little boys have been spending their elementary school recesses and years of playing on teams trying to become their favorite pro player and dreaming of a pro career. Parents have been shelling out lots of time and resources for basketball teams and camps for boys for many decades. Girls are now finally catching up with the boys. (Pete Newell has been doing Big Man camps for 33 years -- women have had that option for 8.)

How do the women who play college ball today compare to their counterparts in the 80's? (Those are the girls who were on the elementary school playground in the 70's, if you're wondering why the decade change). I think there is a TREMENDOUS difference. Kinda perhaps the same difference between the male players from the 50's to the early 80's?

The women's basketball world needs more time to catch up to the men's. Young girls now have the similar options to cultivate their skills and become a pro like boys have had for decades. Today's freshmen in college have parents who watched lots of men's NCAA basketball in packed stadiums and saw those star players go in NBA drafts, but very few went to women's NCAA games and there wasn't a WNBA draft for at least a decade after they graduated. Today's freshman's parents had no blueprint to follow to encourage their young girls to become talented basketball players. Imagine what will happen with the girls who had parents who went to college and watched well attended games and saw the women's stars of their era go the the WNBA draft. The women's game has gotten better and better every year as more girls have had so many more options to learn the game.

While there are undeniable physical differences between men and women, if Spud Webb (5'6"), Earl Boykins (5'5") and Muggsy Bogues (5'3") can make the league, then I don't see why a women who has amazing basketball abilities couldn't make it.

langdonfan
12-07-2009, 11:40 AM
I agree that it is unlikely, but I think the possibilities are there. I agree that it would have to be a point guard, but she wouldn't need to be the best shooter in the league or the the Michael Jordan of the women's game.

Granted, it would have to be an exceptional player, but I think the bigger challenge would be, she'd have to be more familiar with the men's game than the women's game. I'm talking not even playing women's college basketball but finding some avenue to play against men, such as summer leagues, prep school teams, etc. She would probably also want to try getting a crack at playing in some lower level league overseas prior to attempting the NBA. Frankly, it would have to be someone who made it a life-long goal to do so, but I think it is possible. If we really think about the physical abilities of some guys who have actually gotten a crack at playing in the NBA...I think there are, or at least will be, women who can do it. Someone who could be a LeBron James type WNBA superstar who is willing to sacrifice that to be an average to below average NBA player. It would take a special person to want to do that.

flyingdutchdevil
12-07-2009, 11:48 AM
While there are undeniable physical differences between men and women, if Spud Webb (5'6"), Earl Boykins (5'5") and Muggsy Bogues (5'3") can make the league, then I don't see why a women who has amazing basketball abilities couldn't make it.

It's not just height - it's strength, agility, and athleticism as well. Men are naturally more muscular which leads to being faster, often more agile and thus more athletic. Boykins, Bogues, and N8 Robinson are all muscular, super fast, and athletic. It's really, really hard for women to do that.

Add in the fact that the NBA is such a contact-oriented sport with lots of huge, testosterone-filled men, and a woman getting a) respect and b) being welcomed into the locker room doesn't sound like an easy task. N.B.A. Jane is not a realistic scenario and I would think it to be more impossible and not likely.

brevity
12-07-2009, 12:05 PM
It could happen.

The problem is that she'd have to be trained with that goal in mind from the first time she picks up a ball. Not just to play basketball, or college basketball, or even professional basketball, but NBA basketball. Assuming she's of size to play in the NBA (realistically, 5'11" or taller), she'd have to disregard everything she's told by others about what a person her size should be expected to do.

It would have to a combination of many unlikely things: a focused and well-adjusted individual, supportive and visionary parents, open-minded coaches at all stages of development, deep pockets, and oh yeah, timely genetics.

Had Candace Parker been steered in this exact direction 15 years ago, then I wouldn't automatically rule out her chances. Her parents obviously know how to develop a child into an NBA-caliber adult player. But it was enough for her to be able to play with the boys, and dunk with the boys, all in an effort to allow her to excel in a woman's game. (An unbelievable accomplishment, mind you, but well short of the hypothetical we're discussing here.)

Now, should she steer a Parker-Williams daughter in this direction? A fair question. That girl would have the above combination of favorable elements, but her parents would have to ask themselves whether becoming a pioneer player for her gender is a goal worth the extra pain, grief, and pressure it's sure to cause. They'd be making that decision for her until she's old enough to decide for herself. Plus, it's so unlikely to make the league as it is, and so much more likely to be derailed along the way by career-ending injuries, even if every observer, teammate, and opponent were rooting for her.

Make no mistake: women will, in time, break into male-only sporting competitions. Golf and tennis (on a regular touring basis) is all but inevitable; politics is probably a bigger barrier than athletic ability. It's not too much of a reach to see the same happen in soccer, hockey, or even baseball. I think the last milestones will be in track and field, the NBA, and non-kicker NFL.

hughgs
12-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Due to the physicality and athleticism needed for basketball, we'll see a woman play in the following men's sports before basketball is even considered (if I name a sport for both men and women, I imply a woman playing in the men's field): golf (already happened), tennis, soccer, baseball, volleyball, cricket, a whole lot others. I really don't see it happening, unless LeBron gets a sex-change operation.

You should strike volleyball from that list. The men are averaging close to 6'9" at most positions with verticals that equal or surpass that of NBA players.

CameronCrazy'11
12-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Perhaps the better question is how long will it be until Hollywood turns this idea into a movie? With the woman in question both incredibly talented and insanely gorgeous, I'm sure.

flyingdutchdevil
12-07-2009, 01:03 PM
You should strike volleyball from that list. The men are averaging close to 6'9" at most positions with verticals that equal or surpass that of NBA players.

Agree. V-ball players are crazy athletic. The disparity between the men's and women's game is huge.

BlueintheFace
12-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Agree. V-ball players are crazy athletic. The disparity between the men's and women's game is huge.

nah, you could easily have a female libero

Turtleboy
12-07-2009, 01:28 PM
And we all know that Reggie Miller could never beat his sister Cheryl.I don't know that. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's not true.

flyingdutchdevil
12-07-2009, 02:03 PM
nah, you could easily have a female libero

I beg to differ - the libero must have the most ridiculous reflects and must still be very athletic. Plus, with men hitting the ball significantly harder than women, a female libero will be at a serious disadvantage. IMO.

UrinalCake
12-07-2009, 02:04 PM
Due to the physicality and athleticism needed for basketball, we'll see a woman play in the following men's sports before basketball is even considered (if I name a sport for both men and women, I imply a woman playing in the men's field): golf (already happened), tennis, soccer, baseball, volleyball, cricket, a whole lot others.

I don't see a woman competing successfully in tennis. Men's and women's tennis are on two completely different stratospheres. Mary Carillo (renowed tennis announcer) herself said on-air that a high-level junior level male player could beat the Williams sisters.

In basketball, I think the position most suited to a female player would be shooting guard, as it requires the least athleticism/size. But I still don't see that happening.

flyingdutchdevil
12-07-2009, 02:09 PM
In basketball, I think the position most suited to a female player would be shooting guard, as it requires the least athleticism/size. But I still don't see that happening.

I don't think any woman could guard Kobe or Dwayne. On top of that, an SG has considerable speed and has pretty good athleticism. But I think you're right - if there is ever a woman to play in the NBA, it would probably be an SG.

Greg_Newton
12-07-2009, 02:50 PM

I don't mean to come off as condescending, but I just don't really buy this. Those 3 players had amazing basketball abilities, yes, but they were also freak athletes (all 3 could dunk), lightning quick, and pound-for-pound incredibly strong... and that's by NBA standards. Basketball abilities aside, I've don't think I've ever seen a female athlete that passes the pure physical ability threshold necessary to even stay on the floor in an NBA again. Possibly a few could compete with low-level college teams (and that's still a big maybe). I mean, has there ever been a female athlete with a recorded 30" vertical (bare minimum for an NBA guard)? I honestly don't know.

This argument is kind of like me saying, well, I'm 6'3", so I don't see why I couldn't make the NBA if I practiced my jump shot enough. Unfortunately, no matter how hard I work, I'll never be an elite enough physical athlete to play in the NBA... I don't know the science, but I'm just not sure it would be physically possible for a woman to work her body into that kind of fast-twich shape. I would love to be proven wrong...

DevilWolf
12-07-2009, 02:52 PM
I don't see a woman competing successfully in tennis. Men's and women's tennis are on two completely different stratospheres. Mary Carillo (renowed tennis announcer) herself said on-air that a high-level junior level male player could beat the Williams sisters.

I used to coach girls' soccer, and when I say girls' soccer I mean highly competitive, elite-level athletes who are currently playing Division I soccer. When they were juniors in high school, we played against a team of 7th grade boys who are also highly competitive, elite level athletes who will go on to play Division I soccer in a "friendly" match or scrimmage if you will. We lost 6-1, and it was the only match scrimmage or otherwise that we scored less than 3 goals and gave up more than 2 goals for the entire season through regional championships.

I'm a huge advocate of women's athletics, but there is no way a woman could successfully contribute to a men's professional team in any sport.

Bluedog
12-07-2009, 03:22 PM
Well, first I don't think it's likely that this will happen anytime soon. Having said that, I think a couple of people's arguments saying it won't happen are flawed. It's been posited that a decent high school boy's team would whoop the top DI college women's programs, which might be the case. But who cares? That's just saying the "average" top high school boy's player is better than the "average" top women's college player. All it takes is ONE player, not a cumulative effort by the entire sport of women's basketball to play catch up with the men's game.

I don't think any woman could guard Kobe or Dwayne.

Most men in the NBA can't either. I think with basketball being a team sport, it's much more likely that a woman could break through that in something that is physical and individual (e.g. boxing, tennis). The reason being is because it's harder to see somebody being completely out of place in a team game when her teammates compensate for certain deficiencies (presumably speed and strength) and when she can just showcase her strengths (shooting). Also, there are TONS of male players who could play on the NBA team and look decent, but never make an NBA roster. A female who could compete at the level of say Dmarc (not saying that is likely, but just as an example of a "marginal" NBA player) would DEFINITELY get the benefit of the doubt assuming she wanted to play in the NBA and wouldn't look out of place at all. Dmarc certainly didn't look terrible in NBA games in the small PT he got, but there were marginally better options at his position.

Having said all that, it'd be incredibly difficult not only because of the physical/athletic skills needed, but because of practicing and training against men. Even getting used to a bigger ball would be a large adjustment. The size makes a huge difference and after competing for 10+ years with one ball, all of a sudden changing the size and asking them to compete against men would be nearly impossible. A woman would have to have considerable practice with the proper ball against stronger, more physical men (I realize that the top women's basketball teams already practice against men typically). But it's a big adjustment.

Tennis, although certainly much less physical than basketball, requires one-on-one competition and you can't specialize in a certain role. In basketball, if somebody can shoot incredibly well, they can fill a need. In something individual, somebody with just a good forehand isn't going to do you any good since you're competing alone. Not that it really matters, but in the famous battle of the sexes match of riggs vs. billy jean king, it is not remembered as much that riggs absolutely destroyed the #1 female tennis player in the world (Margaret Court) 6-2, 6-1 before he lost to King at age 55. Now this was a while ago, and the women's sport has certainly made huge strides, but there's still a physical gap based on basic biology. And the dude was 55.

I don't see why women couldn't compete in sports like race car driving (which they do), billiards, bowling, etc. with men. Physical individual sports is too large of a biological gap. Skill sports such as bowling and golf, it's certainly possible. Physical team sports it's possible if somebody has a really specialized skill...Just my opinion of course. It certainly would be good for publicity for a particular team and I'd like to see it happen! But I'm not seeing it anytime soon. That would also have to be some person who wants to forego being a superstar in the WNBA to be under extremely intense scrutiny and pressure as a role player in the NBA. I don't know who would want that. And I think she'd have to train for the start for such a role by using the proper equipment and competing against men regularly in high school, college, etc...I just don't see that happening anytime soon.

badgerbd
12-07-2009, 03:36 PM
The NBA started in 1946 -- 63 years ago. The WNBA started in 1996 -- 13 years ago. What were the NBA players like 13 years into the league? How do the women compare over the first 13 years of their league? (Uh...no need to really pick this apart in detail -- and I'm not a follower of the women's game nor the pro game, so I can't really answer these questions in detail, but I think I can make an educated guess.)

So that means the oldest girls who have lived their entire lives with a women's pro league are now in high school. The oldest boys who have lived their entire lives with a men's pro league are about to retire. Why does that matter? Little boys have been spending their elementary school recesses and years of playing on teams trying to become their favorite pro player and dreaming of a pro career. Parents have been shelling out lots of time and resources for basketball teams and camps for boys for many decades. Girls are now finally catching up with the boys. (Pete Newell has been doing Big Man camps for 33 years -- women have had that option for 8.)

How do the women who play college ball today compare to their counterparts in the 80's? (Those are the girls who were on the elementary school playground in the 70's, if you're wondering why the decade change). I think there is a TREMENDOUS difference. Kinda perhaps the same difference between the male players from the 50's to the early 80's?

The women's basketball world needs more time to catch up to the men's. Young girls now have the similar options to cultivate their skills and become a pro like boys have had for decades. Today's freshmen in college have parents who watched lots of men's NCAA basketball in packed stadiums and saw those star players go in NBA drafts, but very few went to women's NCAA games and there wasn't a WNBA draft for at least a decade after they graduated. Today's freshman's parents had no blueprint to follow to encourage their young girls to become talented basketball players. Imagine what will happen with the girls who had parents who went to college and watched well attended games and saw the women's stars of their era go the the WNBA draft. The women's game has gotten better and better every year as more girls have had so many more options to learn the game.

Yes, the women's game has been improving, largely because of increased participation and role models. But that only increases the chance that an extremely physically gifted woman would play in the future. Most don't think such a woman could even exist.

Think about how mens sports have changed over the years. Guys are getting bigger and bigger. 6'11" players at the 3. Not bball, but would william "the refridgerator" perry be even an average sized linemen in today's NFL?

If there was a chance of a woman in the NBA it was the 50's, IMO. I'm no expert, but it just seems like today's conditioning and training has had abigger effect on men. Meaning the physical differences, at the elite level, are as wide as ever and growing.

kmspeaks
12-07-2009, 05:43 PM
I beg to differ - the libero must have the most ridiculous reflects and must still be very athletic. Plus, with men hitting the ball significantly harder than women, a female libero will be at a serious disadvantage. IMO.

A libero has to be athletic in terms of body control however they don't have to be athletic in terms of speed or leaping ability.

I view success as a libero a result of proper positioning and reading body and arm angles of hitters, think instincts rather than reflexes. Just my opinion (I was a setter and not a libero for what that's worth) but I think a female libero could definitely hold her own in a men's game.

langdonfan
12-07-2009, 07:28 PM
It could happen.

The problem is that she'd have to be trained with that goal in mind from the first time she picks up a ball.

I agree. Those who say it can't happen seem to be overlooking this. There are certainly parents out there who would be willing to do this. I think it would be unfair to use any traditional female athlete as an example.

pamtar
12-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Thats funny, I could of sworn I saw Sinead O'Conner (http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/images/photos/2009/07/07/q4zmnxe2.jpg) playing foward for the Pacers...

hughgs
12-07-2009, 07:43 PM
A libero has to be athletic in terms of body control however they don't have to be athletic in terms of speed or leaping ability.

I view success as a libero a result of proper positioning and reading body and arm angles of hitters, think instincts rather than reflexes. Just my opinion (I was a setter and not a libero for what that's worth) but I think a female libero could definitely hold her own in a men's game.

I was both a setter and a libero and there's a huge difference in the defense played by both. The setter's job is to avoid defense. As the setter I want to touch the second ball, not the first. As the setter, if anyone else can touch the ball I want them to. I'm yelling at players to get balls.

As a libero, my defensive responsibilities are completely different. Sure, positioning helps, but that's only if I'm concerned about getting balls in my zone. But, I'm the libero and my job is to get as many first contacts as possible. I can't set in front of the 10 foot line, so there's no reason for me to set the ball. I can't attack the ball so there's no reason to touch during the third contact. So, I'm interested in the first contact. And, since I want my hitters to be in a good position to run their offensive sets then I don't want them diving all over the place. So, as the libero, I'm diving all over the place.

Being responsible for first contacts requires great reflexes and speed. And if we concede that the men's game is an order of magnitude faster than the women's game that implies that a female libero needs to be that much quicker. And, for now, I don't see it happening at the professional level.

johnb
12-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Could top level current WNBA players have played in the NBA in the 1950's (assuming that the racial issue applied to men but not women)?

Indoor66
12-07-2009, 08:54 PM
Could top level current WNBA players have played in the NBA in the 1950's (assuming that the racial issue applied to men but not women)?

No - same problems for them then as today.

DBFAN
12-07-2009, 11:37 PM
It may have been stated earlier in this thread, but the one thing that people like Stern overlook is the progression of the male athlete. While women may become better physically so will the men. So unless we can somehow develop the time machine, the Gap will always be there. I found this to be weird when Stern brought this up in that interview last week, gee, I am wondering if the NBA needs some kind of Promotional for the teams that can not generate a fan base......hmmm, nah that would never happen:rolleyes: