PDA

View Full Version : Terrible tragedy for Andre Dawkins and family

Bluedog
12-06-2009, 01:25 PM
Terrible tragedy for the Dawkins family. His sister was apparently involved in a fatal car accident. I have not 100% confirmed that's it's Andre's sister, but others are reporting it and he does have an older sister named Lacey. Thoughts and prayers go out to Andre and his family.

http://www.cbs59.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=71499

Brian913
12-06-2009, 01:49 PM
This is a horrible event. My prayers for Andre and his family.

SeattleIrish
12-06-2009, 02:08 PM
Awful news. The link says 4 other people involved in the accident were transported for treatment; if anyone knows more please post.

Seems like a very supportive family - - - very, very sad.

s.i.

rodpellenberg
12-06-2009, 04:14 PM
not good.

kyrie irving's facebook page....

God bless Andre dawkins sister...our prayers go out to him and his sister

HCheek37
12-06-2009, 04:16 PM
This is a terrible tragedy if this is indeed his sister....his duke basketball profile states that he does have a sister named Lacey. Spelling different than in the above article

Kedsy
12-06-2009, 05:57 PM
This is a terrible tragedy if this is indeed his sister....his duke basketball profile states that he does have a sister named Lacey. Spelling different than in the above article

Actually, it's a terrible tragedy whether it's his sister or not. Who is affected most by the tragedy is only a detail.

Bluedevil114
12-06-2009, 08:36 PM
http://www.cbs59.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=71499

My thoughts and prayers are with the Dawkins family.

DevilHorns
12-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Actually, it's a terrible tragedy whether it's his sister or not. Who is affected most by the tragedy is only a detail.

thank you.

airowe
12-06-2009, 08:54 PM
This has been reported on TDD Premium by a guy who's sister was good friends with Andre's sister.

Why he would make this up is beyond me and he has reconfirmed that is was his sister via PM (His original post was somewhat unclear to me whether it was his Mother or sister.)

Evidently, the two of them were driving down to watch the St. John's game when the accident occurred.

All condolences, thoughts, and prayers go out to the Dawkins family and all involved.

:(

JBDuke
12-06-2009, 09:06 PM
This has been reported on TDD Premium by a guy who's sister was good friends with Andre's sister.

Why he would make this up is beyond me and he has reconfirmed that is was his sister via PM (His original post was somewhat unclear to me whether it was his Mother or sister.)

Evidently, the two of them were driving down to watch the St. John's game when the accident occurred.

All condolences, thoughts, and prayers go out to the Dawkins family and all involved.

:(

The mods have also received independent confirmation, so we have restored the thread, which had been taken down earlier.

FireOgilvie
12-06-2009, 09:10 PM
Blah. Condolences to Andre and his family. Terrible.

JaMarcus Russell
12-06-2009, 09:10 PM
Airowe, do you know how his mother is doing?

DukieBoy
12-06-2009, 09:12 PM
Wow. I can't imagine what Andre is going through. I wish only the best for him and his family.

And if it isn't his family, I still wish well to those involved.

Acymetric
12-06-2009, 09:12 PM
I wonder if he knew during the game...I'm sure he noticed that they weren't there...my heart goes out to him, there are no circumstances where this is good, but I think for Andre his situation makes it particularly tough.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Condolences to Andre and the entire family, and to his extended family, including his Duke family.

CameronBornAndBred
12-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Very sad news. Heart felt condolences to Andre and his family.

ccrazies_708
12-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Having an 18 year old sister in college myself, I can only imagine what Andre and his family must be going through. A tragedy like this really puts a lot of things into perspective. My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family.

Indoor66
12-06-2009, 09:27 PM
This is horrible. My condolences and concerns go out to Andre and his family in this difficult time.

jimbonelson
12-06-2009, 09:28 PM
echo what everybody else said

Son of Mojo
12-06-2009, 09:42 PM
Horrible news. Condolences and prayers for Andre and his family.

Jumbo
12-06-2009, 09:59 PM
I don't even know what to say, and my heart just breaks for Andre Dawkins. Thoughts and prayers ...

moonpie23
12-06-2009, 10:01 PM
you and your family are in our thoughts and hearts andre. :(

Oriole Way
12-06-2009, 10:13 PM
My condolences and prayers to Andre and the Dawkins family.

soccerstud2210
12-06-2009, 10:19 PM
wow. puts life in perspective. terrible terrible news.

andre, we are praying for you and your family. that you would draw strength and comfort from GOd. HE has a plan and reason for everything. even though we don't see it at this time

thoughts and prayers!

d

chadlee989
12-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Dre you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers

_Gary
12-06-2009, 10:28 PM
My heart is broken as well and I'm in shock. Andre and his family certainly have my thoughts and prayers during this time. No words are adequate... :(

Newton_14
12-06-2009, 10:28 PM
Andre,
Your extended Duke family grieves with you during this tragedy. May God comfort you and your family and carry you through this trial.

Poincaré
12-06-2009, 10:33 PM
Poor Andre. I wish the best for his family. That's all we can do, unfortunately.

dukelifer
12-06-2009, 10:37 PM
We will also all need to give Andre a lot of time to deal with this. Some things are much bigger than basketball.

Kewlswim
12-06-2009, 10:55 PM
Hi,

My heart breaks whenever I read stories like this. Back in the day the Allen Building (in my opinion) had a very cold heart. Fortunately I never had to ask them to take excused time-off for a situation such as this. I would think the circa 2010 version of the Allen Building would be amenable to giving Andre time off without penalty (and truth be told I hope the circa when I went to school Allen Building would too). I think the way to handle it, if he does not feel he can concentrate on finals--and who could blame him--is to give him incompletes and let him finish up when he can. I hope they (Allen Building) would give him (without penalty in terms of working towards his Duke degree) a semester off if he requested it too. I am quite sure that Coach Krzyzewski would like him to take as much time as he needs.

I can only imagine how much Andre's Mom (and maybe Dad?) needs him around to take care of things. Just seems that taking care of a grieving parent at a time like this is more important than finals and school and should be more important than putting a leather ball through a hoop. Although, for Andre, sports teams can be like family and sometimes being with ones "brothers" can actually do more good than harm. Only Andre knows whats best for him and his family. It is times like these I really love having Coach K at the helm of our team (and Coach Cut now for football), I have no doubt he will advise what is best for Andre and help any way he can.

GO DUKE!

-bdbd
12-06-2009, 11:10 PM
Andre-

We are very sad for this horrible thing.
You have our heartfelt condolences.

BlueintheFace
12-06-2009, 11:12 PM
I'm almost scared to ask given the loss Andre has already suffered, but early reports were that his sister AND mother were in the car and the linked report says that the jaws of life were used to extract TWO people from the car. Does anybody have any positive news about his mother and/or other family members (fingers crossed)?

I really really hope they are okay.

RelativeWays
12-06-2009, 11:24 PM
I lost a cousin in a drunk driving accident years ago the day after thanksgiving. This is the worst time of year to have anything like this happen, its a stark dichotomy to the loss you're feeling and it makes it even harder to get your head around it. I don't know how Andre handles this, it will not be easy at all.

DukeBlueNikeShox
12-07-2009, 12:35 AM
My prayers and thoughts are with Andre and his family. May they be granted peace and comfort in the midst of their storm...

Mike Corey
12-07-2009, 12:41 AM
Hi,

My heart breaks whenever I read stories like this. Back in the day the Allen Building (in my opinion) had a very cold heart. Fortunately I never had to ask them to take excused time-off for a situation such as this. I would think the circa 2010 version of the Allen Building would be amenable to giving Andre time off without penalty (and truth be told I hope the circa when I went to school Allen Building would too). I think the way to handle it, if he does not feel he can concentrate on finals--and who could blame him--is to give him incompletes and let him finish up when he can. I hope they (Allen Building) would give him (without penalty in terms of working towards his Duke degree) a semester off if he requested it too. I am quite sure that Coach Krzyzewski would like him to take as much time as he needs.

I can only imagine how much Andre's Mom (and maybe Dad?) needs him around to take care of things. Just seems that taking care of a grieving parent at a time like this is more important than finals and school and should be more important than putting a leather ball through a hoop. Although, for Andre, sports teams can be like family and sometimes being with ones "brothers" can actually do more good than harm. Only Andre knows whats best for him and his family. It is times like these I really love having Coach K at the helm of our team (and Coach Cut now for football), I have no doubt he will advise what is best for Andre and help any way he can.

GO DUKE!

I think this is absolutely right.

I can tell you that Duke's Administration--and its faculty members--will bend over backwards to help students in times of tragedy. I have no doubt whatsoever that Duke will do anything and everything it can to help Andre and his family at this most difficult time.

ricks68
12-07-2009, 01:39 AM
My heartfelt condolences.

ricks

sivartrenrag
12-07-2009, 02:02 AM
Really sorry to hear this. I hope he's OK. I hope he is with his family now and spends as much time with them as he needs. We all grieve with you, Dre.

Jim3k
12-07-2009, 02:10 AM
Words are inadequate. Tears say it all.

PhillyDuke
12-07-2009, 05:09 AM
Wow. I hope his mom and everyone else in the car are alright.

Saratoga2
12-07-2009, 06:00 AM
I pray for Andre and his family in this time of sorrow

weezie
12-07-2009, 07:56 AM
Such terrible news. I am so very sorry for the Dawkins family.
Deepest condolences from your Duke family. God bless each and every one of you.

SharkD
12-07-2009, 08:42 AM
My deepest condolences and most heartfelt sorrows for Andre and the Dawkins family.

Both of my parents are originally from the Columbus area, so I am intensely familiar with the dangerous conditions, especially along the West Virginia Turnpike, encountered when driving between Durham and Columbus, this time of year.

I always tell my students that, while at Duke (or any other college), whatever their choice of distraction, the most important focal points need to be: their studies, their friendships and, most of all, their loved ones. Tragedy makes that even more abundantly pronounced.

Edit: WRAL has confirmation (http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/6563815/).

flyingdutchdevil
12-07-2009, 08:49 AM
Condolences to the Dawkins family. Our prayers out to the Dawkins family and their friends and family.

NSDukeFan
12-07-2009, 08:54 AM
My condolences to Andre and his family at this difficult time.

davekay1971
12-07-2009, 08:58 AM
Deepest condolences to the Dawkins family. Our prayers are with them for comfort during a time of sorrow.

yancem
12-07-2009, 09:19 AM
This is terrible news and my heart goes out to the entire Dawkins family. Loosing a family member is always tough and I wish them the best as the struggle to adjust to their loss.

mph
12-07-2009, 09:20 AM
Just awful. My heart breaks for Andre and his family.

dukeman28428
12-07-2009, 09:23 AM
Andre, We are so sorry to hear of your loss and our prayers are with you and your family. You are such a credit to Duke University and blessings and love go out to you in this time of need.

Johnboy
12-07-2009, 09:33 AM
My heartfelt condolences to Andre Dawkins and his family in this terrible time.

dukemsu
12-07-2009, 09:40 AM
Our thoughts are with you and your family, Andre.

dukemsu

aro24
12-07-2009, 09:41 AM
The Dawkins family is in my thoughts and prayers.

ARo24

Battierfan01
12-07-2009, 09:45 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with Andre and his family. He is a great kid and I hear he comes from a great family. I couldn't imagine being in his shoes. Sometimes we are just reminded that LIFE is bigger then basketball. :(

obsesseddukefan
12-07-2009, 09:46 AM
My condolences go out to you and your familiy Andre. Hope all gets better for you and your family. Hang in there.

Jarhead
12-07-2009, 09:51 AM
My heart goes out to the Andre and his family in this terrible tragedy which seems even worse at this time of the year. I am clinging to hope, though, since the news item linked in this thread was first posted by the TV station WVLS in West Virginia at 11:20 AM on Saturday, and updated at 9:15 (http://www.cbs59.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=71499) AM this morning, only describes the victim as a Columbus, Ohio woman while giving no other details about her or other victims of the accident. The DBR front page link to a WRAL-TV item posted abound 8:00 AM this morning refers to only the WVLS item and adds no other information, but does loosely link it to Andre Dawkins. I wait for corroboration, with a thread of hope.

captmojo
12-07-2009, 09:54 AM
With all this lot in your corner Andre, no one dare be anything but a help.

We all wish and pray for you the best now and evermore.

ironduke2009
12-07-2009, 09:55 AM
This is such a terrible tragedy, and my thoughts and prayers are with him and his family during these trying times. It is so heart breaking, and I cannot imagine the pain the family is suffering at this time.

elvis14
12-07-2009, 09:55 AM
The Dawkins family is in my thoughts and prayers. Suddenly I don't care about basketball and don't have the words....

Mike Corey
12-07-2009, 10:00 AM
My heart goes out to the Andre and his family in this terrible tragedy which seems even worse at this time of the year. I am clinging to hope, though, since the news item linked in this thread was first posted by the TV station WVLS in West Virginia at 11:20 AM on Saturday, and updated at 9:15 (http://www.cbs59.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=71499) AM this morning, only describes the victim as a Columbus, Ohio woman while giving no other details about her or other victims of the accident. The DBR front page link to a WRAL-TV item posted abound 8:00 AM this morning refers to only the WVLS item and adds no other information, but does loosely link it to Andre Dawkins. I wait for corroboration, with a thread of hope.

As DBR and WRAL have noted, this was in fact Andre's older sister Lacey.

There are no words in moments such as these.

I might suggest, however, that the sending of condolences to Andre and his family may be appropriate from the circle of Duke basketball-related sites on the internet--what little we can do, we can certainly do that.

diveonthefloor
12-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Losing a family member in this way is unimaginable for most of us.

Please, everyone (Classmates, alums, teachers, teammates, coaches) do whatever you can do help Andre through this....

ChicagoCrazy84
12-07-2009, 10:22 AM
From my whole family here in Chicago, we are so sorry for your loss Andre. We hope and pray that your mother makes a speedy recovery and you can all look to family, friends, and of course the Lord our father for comfort, wisdom, and love during this tragic time.

Be well Dawkins family! We are all thinking of you.

jv001
12-07-2009, 10:33 AM
My family will pray for you during this tragedy. Andre just remember to lean on God and He will bring you through. God Bless you and your family.

Azdukefan
12-07-2009, 10:35 AM
I wish we could explain why bad things happen to good people. Dawkins family, you are in our prayers!

RepoMan
12-07-2009, 10:36 AM
Terrible news. Our thoughts and prayers are with Andre and his family.

KShip21
12-07-2009, 10:42 AM
Andre, you and your family are in all of our prayers.

He is truly about to find out what being a part of the "Duke Family" is all about.

Coach K and Nolan will surely be more than coach/teammate in the coming months...

AlaskanAssassin
12-07-2009, 10:48 AM
My heart was just crushed when I read it. This is insane. I hope the best for him and his family.

Call me superstitious, but I'd like for him to change his jersey number soon. Number 20 isn't a good number. First, Elliot's mom, now Andre's Family.

ice-9
12-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Wow, my heart goes out to Andre and his family. No words can describe the pain of losing a loved one...

I hope his mother is OK...

peloton
12-07-2009, 10:53 AM
I was very sorry to read about this earlier this morning. My sincerest condolences to the entire family. We can only hope that Andre's mother recovers from any injuries she received. Our thoughts are with you, Andre.

davekay1971
12-07-2009, 10:57 AM
The Duke-Carolina rivalry is the best in sports for many reasons. Class is one of those reasons. Inside Carolina has a thread of condolences for Andre and his family. The thoughts expressed represent the best side of the sibling rivalry between our schools.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=78&f=1410&t=5253723

Ima Facultiwyfe
12-07-2009, 11:04 AM
The mental image I have of that sweet face of Andre's in tears is a heartbreak. I know everybody near and dear to him and his extended Duke family will form a big, supportive embrace and help him through this. These are the kinds of times I'm most grateful that we recruit the kind of guys we do. They'll all come through for Andre.
Love, Ima

lpd1982
12-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Such incredible sadness and loss. Obviously a close, loving family. Lean on the Duke family. We all care about you.

chrishoke
12-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Andre. Terrible, terrible tragedy. We love you Andre.

sagegrouse
12-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Andre. Terrible, terrible tragedy. We love you Andre.

I agree completely with these and all the other sentiments expressed on this thread.

sagegrouse

rhcpflea99
12-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Prays go out to Andre and his family.

Jarhead
12-07-2009, 11:34 AM
...I wait for corroboration, with a thread of hope.

As DBR and WRAL have noted, this was in fact Andre's older sister Lacey.

There are no words in moments such as these.

I might suggest, however, that the sending of condolences to Andre and his family may be appropriate from the circle of Duke basketball-related sites on the internet--what little we can do, we can certainly do that.

Corroboration by information from Duke came with the latest WRAL update. I am saddened by this tragedy, and send prayers for all of Andre's family. God bless them all.

Reddevil
12-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Words are utterly inadequate. We hurt because there is now an emptiness in Andre’s life that was previously filled with a loved one, and we know that no one is strong enough to undergo these times alone. We can only find comfort in the fact that he can lean on the many that truly care about him during this unbearable time. May he and his family find the inner peace that only love and friendship can provide.

MHNOLADevil
12-07-2009, 11:56 AM
RIP Lacey. Prayers for a speedy recovery for Ms. Dawkins. All the love and strength of the Duke family goes out to Andre and his family.

summerwind03
12-07-2009, 12:04 PM
My heart aches for you, Andre. Know you are supported by your Duke family.

Son of Jarhead
12-07-2009, 12:17 PM
My deepest condolences to Andre & his family for their loss.

Andre, please know that the Duke family is here for you & yours always.

Duke4life92
12-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Very sad news. Our thoughts and prayers are with Andre and his family.

Tappan Zee Devil
12-07-2009, 12:35 PM
Rest in peace, Lacey

Rest eternal grant to her, O Lord: And let light perpetual shine upon her. 
May her soul, and the souls of all the departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.

DukieInKansas
12-07-2009, 12:35 PM
Deepest sympathy to you and your family, Andre. May friends and family surround you with care and comfort as you struggle to process this incredible loss. Know that you are never alone.

GLTBD
12-07-2009, 12:46 PM
My heart breaks for Andre and his family. He and his family are in my thoughts and prayers.

KyDevilinIL
12-07-2009, 12:49 PM
How easy it is for us to get so wrapped up in the season and the games, and to overlook the fact that these kids have lives beyond basketball and loved ones who love them regardless of whether they can dribble and shoot. Unfortunately, the reminders too often come under terrible circumstances.

Andre just lost one of those people, and it's a pain unlike any other. And the manner in which it happened – there's just no way to describe how hard it is to deal with.

I'm confident Andre will be well taken care of by the Duke community, but there's really only so much the basketball program and the university can do in situations such as this. Here's praying Andre and his family get all the support they need to find some semblance of peace with this tragedy.

The Gordog
12-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Just crushing, heart breaking. My thoughts and prayers go out to him and all his family.

Edouble
12-07-2009, 01:04 PM
The Duke-Carolina rivalry is the best in sports for many reasons. Class is one of those reasons. Inside Carolina has a thread of condolences for Andre and his family. The thoughts expressed represent the best side of the sibling rivalry between our schools.

It was very sobering and touching to read the responses on that IC thread. Actually, it was more touching to read the IC thread than the DBR thread, just considering the source. It makes me think that there is some fortitude of human spirit that is much stronger than something trivial (at a time like this) like which shade of blue you prefer.

Although he must be feeling very low, I hope that Andre is able to take advantage of the support system available to him through his family, his coaches/team, the greater Duke community, and whatever religious affiliation he may have to assist him in facing and working through the incredible grief he must be feeling.

I really hope that he is able to figure out what is best for him during this time, whether that involves continuing to be in school and/or continuing to play basketball. Sometimes normal activities can buoy you in times like these, and sometimes they become burdensome. It's different for different people; there is no universally "right" or "wrong" way to grieve.

My family's thoughts and prayers go out to Andre and his entire family.

NYDukie
12-07-2009, 01:15 PM
Just like the rest of you, my family wishes the best for Andre and his family during this heart-wrenching time.

SMO
12-07-2009, 01:17 PM
I echo the sentiments here but want to add a thought in case it has not been mentioned: does anyone think the "Drive home safely" chant should be on hiatus the rest of this season? I would hate for the Crazies to inadvertently touch a nerve with one of our own players.

cspan37421
12-07-2009, 01:23 PM
It definitely is hard to imagine a kid like Andre, who seems to almost always have a happy countenance, having to deal with this terrible tragedy. I hope he gets a break from finals or whatever he needs. And I expect he will get support from everyone - teammates, students, coaches, faculty; I think he'll find that Duke basketball is also a close family. Man, even thinking about basketball seems so trivial. I hope his mom recovers well and they can comfort each other.

BD80
12-07-2009, 01:26 PM
I wish there was more we could do for Andre and his family.

Hopefully our prayers and condolences will afford some measure of solace.

The compassion of Carolina fans is truly heartening.

uh_no
12-07-2009, 02:11 PM
does anyone think the "Drive home safely" chant should be on hiatus the rest of this season?

yes.

Acymetric
12-07-2009, 02:19 PM

yes.

Yeah. Is there any way to spread this to every student that might attend? That didn't occur to me until you said it, I'm sure there are students who won't make the connection until too late too. Any current students, try and spread that to people you know.

NYC Duke Fan
12-07-2009, 02:24 PM
It sure puts things in perspective doesn't it. Wins and losses, final 4, Sweet 16, UNC-Duke game really doesn't matter much does it ?

Nothing that I can say that has not already been said. God Bless the entire Dawkins family and know that only time will be the healer, but never completely healed.

LSanders
12-07-2009, 02:27 PM

I, too, am heartened by the Carolina fans' reaction. I remember Roy saying that the tribute Duke gave Eve Carson prior to the UNC game in 2008 was his most touching moment in sports ... Something that transcended a game.

I believe Andre knows his Duke family is here for him. I hope he gets even greater comfort knowing his support extends beyond Durham.

lpd1982
12-07-2009, 02:51 PM
I echo the sentiments here but want to add a thought in case it has not been mentioned: does anyone think the "Drive home safely" chant should be on hiatus the rest of this season? I would hate for the Crazies to inadvertently touch a nerve with one of our own players.

Excellent observation. Consider this message sent to the appropriate source.

Battierfan01
12-07-2009, 03:15 PM
Excellent observation. Consider this message sent to the appropriate source.

I agree with you guys. I think that the "Drive Home Safely" chant should be put on the back-burner for a while.

Classof06
12-07-2009, 03:22 PM
This certainly ruined my day, not that that's of any consequence.

I give my deepest condolences to Andre and his family. What a tragedy.

dukestheheat
12-07-2009, 03:24 PM
Andre,

We love you and we are so sorry to hear about this news. We are praying for you and your family.

Paul (dukestheheat).

Onlyduke
12-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Deepest sympathy to Andre and his family.

trinity92
12-07-2009, 03:31 PM
Andre, the problem with losing a loved one, no matter in what manner, expected or not, is that you have to accept a completely unacceptable thing.

My best wishes to you and your family as you contend with this. Healing comes in time.

Indoor66
12-07-2009, 03:47 PM
I think that the "Drive Home Safely" chant should be put on the back-burner for a while.

I agree with you on putting it on the back-burner for a while. I don't think Andre will need a reminder about that at the moment.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-07-2009, 03:49 PM
I agree with you on putting it on the back-burner for a while. I don't think Andre will need a reminder about that at the moment.

Nor does the rest of the team. A tragedy like this effects everyone who's part of the team.... coaches, players, managers, players' families.

mailman2927
12-07-2009, 04:25 PM
thoughts and prayers to andre and his family

gep
12-07-2009, 04:30 PM
My thoughts and condolences to Andre and his family.

cspan37421
12-07-2009, 04:53 PM
I agree with you guys. I think that the "Drive Home Safely" chant should be put on the back-burner for a while.

I agree - perhaps a minimum of the next four seasons?

airowe
12-07-2009, 05:14 PM
http://duke.scout.com/2/926943.html

SoCalDukeFan
12-07-2009, 05:27 PM
the others in the Duke family who have Andre and his family in their thoughts and prayers.

Terrible news.

SoCal

oldnavy
12-07-2009, 05:39 PM

True, I have an ongoing, online dialog with a good friend of mine from the service who happens to be a tarheel. He professes to hate all things DUke, but in this time of sorrow asked me where he could send his condolences to Andre and his family.

If anyone knows of the family's wishes or a place to send condolences please post. In the absence of specific information, I sent a card to Andre c/o the basketball office. I am sure they will forward it to him.

Psalm 31:9 (New International Version), Be merciful to me, O LORD, for I am in distress; my eyes grow weak with sorrow, my soul and my body with grief.

DukeBlueDevils47
12-07-2009, 06:41 PM
prayers are with Andre and his family in their time of need. Psalm 34:18
The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit

CathyCA
12-07-2009, 06:59 PM
Love and prayers to Andre and the Dawkins family. . .

BlueintheFace
12-07-2009, 07:06 PM
Andre will be leaving the team for now to join his family:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/12629915/duke-guard-dawkins-leaves-to-be-with-family-after-sisters-death

devildeac
12-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Words do fail in such a tragic time as this. May God comfort Andre and his family in His arms during this terrible loss.

Verga3
12-07-2009, 07:33 PM
I pray that the collective power of prayer will serve to provide Andre and his family and friends some strength and comfort during this time of profound grief....And many thanks to our UNC friends for their great expressions of compassion for this young man right now. It means a lot.

Classof06
12-07-2009, 07:55 PM
Though the answer is not important at a time like this, does anyone know when Dawkins was informed? Did he know before the St. John's game?

Again, not really important, but just wondering.

johnb
12-07-2009, 08:35 PM
Sad, sad.

dyedwab
12-07-2009, 08:38 PM
Thoughts and prayers are with Andre and his family

airowe
12-07-2009, 08:45 PM
Though the answer is not important at a time like this, does anyone know when Dawkins was informed? Did he know before the St. John's game?

Again, not really important, but just wondering.

Apparently just after the game, although one would be sure he noticed their absence at the game...

I'd absolutely want to be a part of any kind of contributions we can be a part of towards a charity, funeral service, scholarship, etc.

If anyone can organize this sort of thing, please let me know.

msdukie
12-07-2009, 08:48 PM
My prayers for Andre and his family.

Terrible news.

lmb
12-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Andre,

Many prayers are being said for you and for your family. May you find strength in God for he is the only source of peace.

God bless,
Laurie

jipops
12-07-2009, 09:57 PM
My heart goes out to Andre and the rest of the Dawkins family. I cannot imagine how difficult this is to deal with.

Welcome2DaSlopes
12-07-2009, 10:13 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4723037

Kewlswim
12-08-2009, 01:08 AM
Hi,

The team will be happy to see him when he is ready to return. I hope that Chris Kennedy (Academic Adviser @ Duke) can enroll Andre in his necessary classes in such a way that if Andre needs to return to school after the Semester starts he does not have to fight to find classes that are under-enrolled. These are extenuating circumstances and so leaving a seat open for him seems like a good idea to me.

GO DUKE!

SharkD
12-08-2009, 01:57 AM
I hope that Chris Kennedy (Academic Adviser @ Duke) can enroll Andre in his necessary classes in such a way that if Andre needs to return to school after the Semester starts he does not have to fight to find classes that are under-enrolled. These are extenuating circumstances and so leaving a seat open for him seems like a good idea to me.

Undergrad enrollment for Spring '10 closed on Nov 18.

Jarhead
12-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Hi,

The team will be happy to see him when he is ready to return. I hope that Chris Kennedy (Academic Adviser @ Duke) can enroll Andre in his necessary classes in such a way that if Andre needs to return to school after the Semester starts he does not have to fight to find classes that are under-enrolled. These are extenuating circumstances and so leaving a seat open for him seems like a good idea to me.

GO DUKE!

And he will be happy to get back with his team. At my age, my experiences include many deaths among family, friends, and neighbors, people younger or older than me. I have grieved for them, and with them, and I learned. We should not be concerned about next semester for Andre. It is a month away, and long before then he will find that he needs to get back to living his life. Before long he will be anxious to get his exams over with, and will be anxious to get back with his teammates. Grieving does not mean that you should stop living your life. Live it in memory of your lost loved one, and make it special in that memory. Go with God, Stacey.

Indoor66
12-08-2009, 11:00 AM
And he will be happy to get back with his team. At my age, my experiences include many deaths among family, friends, and neighbors, people younger or older than me. I have grieved for them, and with them, and I learned. We should not be concerned about next semester for Andre. It is a month away, and long before then he will find that he needs to get back to living his life. Before long he will be anxious to get his exams over with, and will be anxious to get back with his teammates. Grieving does not mean that you should stop living your life. Live it in memory of your lost loved one, and make it special in that memory. Go with God, Stacey.

Well said and so true. Prayers for Andre and his family and for you and your Stacey.

airowe
12-08-2009, 11:27 AM
Well said and so true. Prayers for Andre and his family and for you and your Stacey.

I echo both of your sentiments, but I believe he meant Lacey instead of Stacey. I could be wrong, but just wanted to clear it up that Andre's sister's name was Lacey Dakwins.

Edouble
12-08-2009, 11:51 AM
I echo both of your sentiments, but I believe he meant Lacey instead of Stacey. I could be wrong, but just wanted to clear it up that Andre's sister's name was Lacey Dakwins.

You mean Lacey Dawkins.

eightyearoldsdude
12-08-2009, 11:57 AM
So sorry to hear about this tragedy. Condolences from a heel.

airowe
12-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Link to the obituary: http://www.wvgazette.com/Obituaries#88712

There is a link in there to a guestbook if you all want to pass on any comments...

Saratoga2
12-08-2009, 12:31 PM

I concur, as one who has lived a long life and seen parents, siblings aand friends pass on. Most were expected though and still it was difficult to see them go and there was a grieving period.

For one so young as Andre and to have this happen to his close family members, it is a not really predictable how he will react. In the end it will be up to Andre to find his way through the period of sadness. All we and others can do for him is to provide true compassion and support.

One question, does anyone know how his mother is recovering. She too will need support and like all mothers, will never get over the loss of one of her children. She will need Andre to be stong and support her emotionally. He has a lot to deal with.

UrinalCake
12-08-2009, 02:48 PM
We should not be concerned about next semester for Andre. It is a month away, and long before then he will find that he needs to get back to living his life.

Maybe, but maybe not. I don't think we should be surprised if he does not return this season. Even if he were emotionally ready, he'd have to maintain his eligibility through this semester, which is a preposterous thought.

Bluedog
12-08-2009, 03:04 PM
Maybe, but maybe not. I don't think we should be surprised if he does not return this season. Even if he were emotionally ready, he'd have to maintain his eligibility through this semester, which is a preposterous thought.

Maintaining his eligibility is a preposterous thought? Huh? I guess perhaps Duke would give him incompletes if he doesn't take his finals and that's not enough academic progress based on the NCAA's definition? I'm not sure how it works. I know somebody who took their finals a couple months late based on extenuating circumstances, and they took their next semester's classes without any issues...but maybe this wouldn't be enough for the NCAA. In any event, he has more important issues to deal with than getting some incompletes.

UrinalCake
12-08-2009, 03:20 PM
I meant that it would be preposterous to expect that he would be keeping up with his coursework for the remainder of the semester. I hadn't gotten as far as to consider a hardship ruling. Obviously we are all just spectators here and will have to wait and see what happens, and hope for the best for Andre and his family.

Tappan Zee Devil
12-08-2009, 05:26 PM
I meant that it would be preposterous to expect that he would be keeping up with his coursework for the remainder of the semester. I hadn't gotten as far as to consider a hardship ruling. Obviously we are all just spectators here and will have to wait and see what happens, and hope for the best for Andre and his family.

Apparently the semester is over with just exams left.

That is much saner than here at Columbia. My last class is scheduled for next Monday and I give my final on the afternoon of the 23rd. :(

Kewlswim
12-08-2009, 05:32 PM

Hi,

Coach K's statement says nothing of Andre's return. (Does someone have a more complete statement?)

http://acc.blogs.starnewsonline.com/11499/tragedy-strikes-family-of-dukes-andre-dawkins/

What I didn't realize until reading the article was that Andre lives with his father and step-mother (when not at school that is).

My thoughts are with you Andre.

GO DUKE!

Welcome2DaSlopes
12-08-2009, 05:43 PM
Andre should take as long as he needs until he fills ready to come back.

Indoor66
12-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Does anyone know how close Andre was to his sister? His home is in VA and hers, apparently, is in Ohio.

MChambers
12-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Andre should take as long as he needs until he fills ready to come back.

I completely agree with this, but would say it a bit differently. Andre needs to do what is best for him and for his family. He may decide that he's happiest taking his exams in the relatively near future and/or rejoining the team, or he may not. None of us can know what is best for him.

Jeffrey
12-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Does anyone know how close Andre was to his sister? His home is in VA and hers, apparently, is in Ohio.

Have you ever driven from Columbus to Durham only to see your brother's basketball game? IMO, it's a long drive.

ReformedAggie
12-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Accolades to all the sincere posters here who demonstrate that the team spirit extends beyond the court, beyond the students, and beyond all boundaries to form an extended family willing and able to do whatever is needed to support this fine young man. You guys bring tears with your kindness to Andre and I hope he reads all your posts and knows all he has to do is ask for whatever he needs and it will be given.

roywhite
12-08-2009, 07:09 PM
Upon reflection, I don't want to hijack a thread about this topic. Andre has been such a positive person and it's a terrible shame for him to undergo this kind of tragedy. Blessings to him and his family.

bill brill
12-11-2009, 05:28 PM
andre will return to school saturday with coach K and nate james, who are attending the saturday funeral. he is eligible to play tuesday. andre's dad was at the st. john's game and told K of the accident three hours prior, but he had been told the injuries were not life-threatening and the dad asked that andre not be told until after. it was after the game they learned she had died. andre returned home to virginia with his father. lacey was andre's biological sister but not andre sr's child. he adopted her before the split with the mother. andre jr. will take his exams after the holidays but before the start of the second semester. coach K gave this info today at the blue devil club meeting.

Kedsy
12-11-2009, 05:47 PM
andre will return to school saturday with coach K and nate james, who are attending the saturday funeral. he is eligible to play tuesday. andre's dad was at the st. john's game and told K of the accident three hours prior, but he had been told the injuries were not life-threatening and the dad asked that andre not be told until after. it was after the game they learned she had died. andre returned home to virginia with his father. lacey was andre's biological sister but not andre sr's child. he adopted her before the split with the mother. andre jr. will take his exams after the holidays but before the start of the second semester. coach K gave this info today at the blue devil club meeting.

Thanks for this information, Bill. Hopefully being back at school and with the team will help Andre move past this. From personal experience I can say it helps to be busy and active.

weezie
12-11-2009, 05:51 PM
Bless Andre's heart. And Coach K and Nate.

Johnny Jungle
12-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Just wanted to extend my thoughts and prayers for Andre and his family. Such terrible terrible news. All of us at St. John's feel the same way. Threads were created on my site in addition to another St. John's site as well...

http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=3325.0

http://www.redmen.com/login/showthread.php?t=39499

ChicagoCrazy84
12-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Just wanted to extend my thoughts and prayers for Andre and his family. Such terrible terrible news. All of us at St. John's feel the same way. Threads were created on my site in addition to another St. John's site as well...

http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=3325.0

http://www.redmen.com/login/showthread.php?t=39499

Very nice notes from the Johnnies. This stuff goes way beyond basketball and I'm glad opposing fans appreciate that and the grief they are going through.

diveonthefloor
12-12-2009, 10:07 AM
I know the Crazies will do their best to welcome Andre back and make sure he knows that his Duke family will always support him through this tragic personal time.

For those who know, have there been plans made to honor or memorialize Lacey's memory upon Andre's return?

Jarhead
12-12-2009, 11:52 AM
I know the Crazies will do their best to welcome Andre back and make sure he knows that his Duke family will always support him through this tragic personal time.

For those who know, have there been plans made to honor or memorialize Lacey's memory upon Andre's return?

I would suggest a moment of prayer just prior to the National Anthem.

Mike Corey
12-12-2009, 02:20 PM

Thanks for this, Bill. Hope the holidays are treating you kindly.