PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match vs. St. John's

Jumbo
12-05-2009, 05:31 PM
Who was the MOTM vs. St. John's?

bfree
12-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Has to be Lance for the key hustle plays. From the little tip out of bounds on a fast break to the key cut to the basket at the very end to the great mid range jumpers, Lance was right in the middle of nearly every key play. A great bounce back performance from a less than fantastic Wisconsin game. Nicely done!

geraldsneighbor
12-05-2009, 05:41 PM
I went with Zoubs. Good to see him have a game like this today against a Big East team, whoever it may be. Keep it up Z!

JaMarcus Russell
12-05-2009, 05:43 PM
Has to be Lance for the key hustle plays. From the little tip out of bounds on a fast break to the key cut to the basket at the very end to the great mid range jumpers, Lance was right in the middle of nearly every key play. A great bounce back performance from a less than fantastic Wisconsin game. Nicely done!

Agreed, he was very good on the defensive side and he showed a mid-range game that we hadn't seen before. If he can make a couple of 15-foot jumpshots each game, it will really help the team out by giving more space for the guards (defenders will have to respect Thomas more and we can put him along the three-point line). Scheyer was also very good in my opinion. Singler tried to do too much again.

Bob Green
12-05-2009, 05:46 PM
Jon Scheyer had 15 points, six assists, and zero turnovers, but he earned my vote because of his composure down the stretch. Scheyer is a great floor leader.

Kim*
12-05-2009, 05:46 PM
I vote for Madison Plumlee. :D

Cameron
12-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Jon is as big a rock as we've had at Duke since Chris Duhon. He really holds the team together out there.

That touch/tip pass he had to Kyle early in the game was as good as you'll ever see. I'm going to miss Jon. I still can't believe how underrated the kid is nationally.

It's incredible, because those people are missing some great basketball.

Cameron
12-05-2009, 05:53 PM
I vote for Madison Plumlee.

LMAO.

ESPN's announcers, especially Musburger in the Wisky game, have been awful this season. Outside of the few, always solid ones -- Knight, Bilas (despite the weird Duke denial thing going on with him), Raftery, Sean McDonough and Hubert Davis (I actually really like him).

There are probably some others I'm missing, but man.

Wander
12-05-2009, 06:00 PM
SJ's best player ended up with a nice stat line largely due to meaningless points and assists in the last few minutes, but he was shut out in the first half when we built up our lead. Sometimes we forget that this isn't football where you only play one side, and Singler and Scheyer aren't just offensive players. Singler's defense on Kennedy early was as much a key to the win as anything else.

FireOgilvie
12-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Nolan Smith with a good shooting game (5-11), 3 assists, 0 TOs, and only 1 foul. Second place goes to Lance Thomas, but I gave it to Nolan because he broke out of his FG shooting slump and didn't turn it over today, which had been a slight problem for him in the past, IMO.

rsvman
12-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Scheyer.

Good composure, good passing, excellent block on the fast break. Second choice would be Lance Thomas.

cascadedevil
12-05-2009, 08:39 PM
It was hard not to vote for Jon, but I had to go with Lance. What he gives us on the defensive side of the floor is fantastic, and today he hit the mid-range jumper. When he does that, we are going to be very, very tough to beat.

NSDukeFan
12-05-2009, 09:35 PM
I vote for Madison Plumlee. :D

Wouldn't that be great if we could have four Plumlees? ;)

I had to give it to Lance, though I had trouble not giving it to Jon.

SMO
12-05-2009, 09:41 PM

I'm with you. Lance had a nice stat line, but the things that don't show up like hustling back to disrupt 2 break-aways make him my MOTM.

Acymetric
12-05-2009, 09:44 PM
Lance played with great energy (and effectiveness!) today. Had a blast watching him go after it on defense, on the boards, and on those long jumpers! Could have given it to several other players tonight, this was one of the most balanced contributions (not just in points, in all facets) that I've seen in a while. Wish we could have really floored it and won by 20 or 30, but I enjoyed the win anyway! On to exams!

DukeDevilDeb
12-05-2009, 10:01 PM
I'm out of town and didn't get to see every single minute of the game. But I saw enough to see Brian have what I thought was for him a "light bulb on" game. Where I sit in Cameron, we always yell at Brian "Don't put the ball on the floor!" And you know what? I wasn't there yelling and Brian didn't put the ball on the floor. He went up strong--at least twice--and scored the ball.

Go Zoubs! :)

jv001
12-05-2009, 11:04 PM
Voted for Jon as he was once again clutch. Almost voted for Lance as it was a tossup between the two. Go Duke!

CameronCrazy'11
12-06-2009, 08:32 AM
Lance's performance was quite good. Lost in all the attention that the new bigs are getting, is that Lance has actually improved quite nicely this year.

diesel
12-06-2009, 11:53 AM
I voted for Lance because I was so pleased to see his great defense and mid-range jumpers.

But I thought Brian’s putbacks were wonderful and that long outlet pass at about 8.25 in the first half was sensational. When was the last time we saw an outlet pass like this from anyone? (Or is my memory just fading with age.)

And Lance and Brian weren’t the only bigs that impressed me. It was good to see that Ryan Kelly can rebound too.

ACCBBallFan
12-06-2009, 09:43 PM
Relative to expectations, Lance, but on pure metric basis Scheyer or Singler as usual.

Good game for the veterans but new guys did not do much.

70 D.J. Kennedy.....
68 Kyle Singler.....
68 Jon Scheyer......

60 Nolan Smith......
56 Sean Evans.......
53 Lance Thomas.....
53 TEAM.Duke weighted

47 Paris Horne......

36 Malik Boothe.....
36 Brian Zoubek.....
32 Dele Coker.......
31 Dwight Hardy.....