PDA

View Full Version : TaShawn Mabry recruiting thread

shoutingncu
12-04-2009, 03:41 AM
http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2009/12/tashawn-mabry-has-a-new-suitor/

Another wing on the radar...

Oriole Way
12-04-2009, 04:09 AM
Would like to get this kid on board... looks very versatile, athletic, and seems to have a competitive edge a lot of our players have been missing these past few years.

IBleedBlue
12-04-2009, 05:10 AM
that we are out of Roscoe Smith race? Why would our coaches show interest unless they know something internally kinda like HB case?

Bluedevil114
12-04-2009, 08:53 AM
that we are out of Roscoe Smith race? Why would our coaches show interest unless they know something internally kinda like HB case?

Hopefully much like with HB we are starting to change our strategy with always have a plan B. We are looking for a strong and athletic wing to go with our our backcourt next year. Roscoe also suggested that when recruiting him, Duke suggested they wanted him and HB together.

Fingers crossed, I really would like to have Roscoe join our team.

Kedsy
12-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Hopefully much like with HB we are starting to change our strategy with always have a plan B. We are looking for a strong and athletic wing to go with our our backcourt next year. Roscoe also suggested that when recruiting him, Duke suggested they wanted him and HB together.

Fingers crossed, I really would like to have Roscoe join our team.

Hmm, this is interesting. I just went over to RSCI and TaShawn Mabry wasn't even in their top 100. Maybe he's shot up in the rankings since September, and presumably this is a backup plan, but are we really that desperate for a freshman wing?

Duke may have wanted both HB and Roscoe, but I can't imagine we want both Roscoe and a middle-tier prospect, because that would mean only two scholarships available for 2011 (while at the moment we supposedly are going hard after QMiller, ARivers, and MP3).

chrisheery
12-04-2009, 09:58 AM
Just because someone isn't highly rated doesn't mean they can't play. Just because someone is highly rated doesn't mean they will be good. Chris Burgess was a number one recruit by at least one service early in his senior year, but we all know how that worked out. Eric Bledsoe wasn't highly ranked until late in his senior year, and he looks like he is nasty. Maybe the coaching staff has been watching this guy, feels he is good enough that he should be ranked highly and maybe even will be by the end of the year. He's no exactly in a media hotbed in Rocky Mount.

Kedsy
12-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Just because someone isn't highly rated doesn't mean they can't play. Just because someone is highly rated doesn't mean they will be good. Chris Burgess was a number one recruit by at least one service early in his senior year, but we all know how that worked out. Eric Bledsoe wasn't highly ranked until late in his senior year, and he looks like he is nasty. Maybe the coaching staff has been watching this guy, feels he is good enough that he should be ranked highly and maybe even will be by the end of the year. He's no exactly in a media hotbed in Rocky Mount.

No question this is possible. In September 2007, DeJuan Blair was unranked by RSCI and was still only #40 after his senior year of high school was over. He turned out pretty well. In fact, I expect this sort of thing happens more frequently than the recruiting experts would like to admit. Still, my guess is it's more likely these types of prospects end up like Olek, and with all the talent Duke's assembled end up as projects for (at least) their first two seasons.

Still doesn't mean they can't play. In a small conference, Olek might have all-league potential by now. However, if the goal is for a player to contribute during his freshman year at Duke, history would suggest the odds are against the middle tier prospect.

Bluedog
12-04-2009, 10:13 AM
According to scout, he hasn't been offered any scholarships, although Clemson, Maryland, and NC State are on his list...He's also the #45 SF and not even close to the top 100 overall. Personally, I'd pass and save the scholly for 2011, but I trust K and staff to know what to do. When was the last time a non top 30 player at his position was even offered a scholarship? Perhaps Lee Melchionni, but he paid his first year or so. The only other commits in the 20-30 range at their position since 2002 have been Olek (#30) and Jamal Boykin (#20). Tyler Thornton is also #20 as his position, but in the top 100 overall. Certainly, ranking isn't everything, but historically players that low don't even get looked at by Duke, let alone playing time.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=2899666

SMO
12-04-2009, 10:19 AM
No question this is possible. In September 2007, DeJuan Blair was unranked by RSCI and was still only #40 after his senior year of high school was over. He turned out pretty well. .

DeJaun Blair's ACLs were holding him back.

airowe
12-04-2009, 10:23 AM
This is second hand information from someone who played AAU ball with him, but evidently this kid had a back injury sometime early in his high school career and was unfairly labeled as soft during his recovery.

Evidently his strengths lie on the defensive end, which is rare in high schoolers.

airowe
12-04-2009, 10:25 AM

Or lack thereof ;)

yancem
12-04-2009, 11:08 AM
Here is another link from a while ago but worth reading:

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2009/05/mabry-demands-respect/

Spam Filter
12-04-2009, 11:24 AM
Actually, according to highschoolhoop.com, he is their #45 player, not the #45 SF, but #45 overall. Furthermore, it's their list that includes ALL high school players, not just the class of 2010.

Here is their list,

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/top-50-players/

As you can see, the list has player from every position, and from class of 2010-2012. And Mabry is ranked 45 on it.

If you remove the 2011 and 2012 players ahead of him, he is actually #31 among class of 2010 on that list. They have him ahead of Ziegler who is #46 on the list.

The caveat is that this might be an older list. Because it does not list HB as committed to UNC or KI as committed to Duke.

Tim1515
12-04-2009, 11:25 AM

and his weight...i believe he was over 300 pounds as a high school junior and didn't seem motivated to make the best out of his abilities. Obviously that changed.

Kedsy
12-04-2009, 11:27 AM
Actually, according to highschoolhoop.com, he is their #45 player, not the #45 SF, but #45 overall. Furthermore, it's their list that includes ALL high school players, not just the class of 2010.

Here is their list,

As you can see, the list has player from every position, and from class of 2010-2012. And Mabry is ranked 45 on it.

If you remove the 2011 and 2012 players ahead of him, he is actually #31 among class of 2010 on that list. They have him ahead of Ziegler who is #46 on the list.

Well, he's still unranked in the aggregate RSCI rankings. Maybe that will change. The good news is I assume Duke usually makes their recruiting decisions based on actually seeing the kid and not so much on websites or services.

Tim1515
12-04-2009, 11:28 AM
who knows if this goes anywhere but he seems like a physical SF. One thing Duke might lack in the coming years is a real physical guard/wing that won't back down to anyone. We have a ton of skilled players but a kid like this could make a huge difference

cwaugh
12-04-2009, 12:04 PM

Here is their list,

The caveat is that this might be an older list. Because it does not list HB as committed to UNC or KI as committed to Duke.

HSH: Who would you really like to matchup against this AAU season?
TM: Probably Harrison Barnes. He’s the one guy I haven’t played against.

:D I would like to see this matchup

HCheek37
12-04-2009, 12:08 PM
not to bring this painful point up again but I wanted to make sure....all these wings we are recruiting would be a "replacement" for Kyle Singler. It is pretty set that he's going to the NBA after a season without injury or major draft stock slide, correct?

superdave
12-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Am I reading this article correctly that Nate James told Mabry that Duke wants him to come to the StJ game this Saturday?

If so, that's good news as far as recruiting him. I guess recruting can move pretty fast during the senior year.

airowe
12-04-2009, 12:26 PM
not to bring this painful point up again but I wanted to make sure....all these wings we are recruiting would be a "replacement" for Kyle Singler. It is pretty set that he's going to the NBA after a season without injury or major draft stock slide, correct?

I'm on record as saying that Kyle won't go pro but that final decision will not be made until the Spring or possibly early Summer. I think it shows a great deal of proactivity to have some options in case I'm shown to be wrong.

I'm Kenny Dennard!

ChicagoCrazy84
12-04-2009, 05:41 PM
I'm on record as saying that Kyle won't go pro but that final decision will not be made until the Spring or possibly early Summer. I think it shows a great deal of proactivity to have some options in case I'm shown to be wrong.

I'm Kenny Dennard!

You guys are delusional if you think Kyle will not go to the NBA. The guy is ready and the staff is doing everything they can to get him there. We wouldn't be recruiting :confused: TaShawn Mabry if he wasn't planning on it.
I am all for recruiting the kid. He averaged 26 points a game last year. He has game.

airowe
12-04-2009, 06:29 PM
You guys are delusional if you think Kyle will not go to the NBA. The guy is ready and the staff is doing everything they can to get him there. We wouldn't be recruiting :confused: TaShawn Mabry if he wasn't planning on it.
I am all for recruiting the kid. He averaged 26 points a game last year. He has game.

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. ;)

I agree on recruiting Mabry. Seems very solid.

Newton_14
12-04-2009, 07:26 PM

You are correct in saying K's plan is for Kyle to go to the NBA after this season. K is on record as saying that. In fairness to Airowe though, Kyle is on record as saying that he would not be willing to trade his Sr year at Duke to sit on the bench in the NBA. He does not want to go early unless it is felt that he would go high in the draft and see meaningful playing time on the team that drafts him.

So the only way he comes back is if the feedback received this spring is that he is not ready to play regularly on a NBA team. At this point I certainly do not expect him back but stranger things have happened. Who knows? Should Duke not win the title this year, maybe Kyle is the type of kid who wants to try one more time to win a title and who also wants to see his jersey in the rafters..

I see nothing wrong with "hoping" he comes back. But I also believe the staff should be recruiting Mabry and Smith if they think both kids can help the team and are good fits here. I am really hoping we get Smith for 2010 and Miller for 2011.

rotogod00
12-04-2009, 09:38 PM

he's currently 28th on chad ford's big board, so i think he'd need to move up some 10 -15 spots before considering leaving

oldnavy
12-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Do you think that if Kyle told K that he was going to the NBA, and then called him up to let him know that he had changed his mind, coach K would call him a liar? :p

NYDukie
12-05-2009, 02:47 PM

I'm Kenny Dennard!

Need to cover our bases just in case as we don't want to be caugh short handed as the SF. Because if Roscoe doesn't commit and then Kyle was to go, then we'd have no SF.

Hermy-own
12-05-2009, 02:55 PM
Need to cover our bases just in case as we don't want to be caugh short handed as the SF. Because if Roscoe doesn't commit and then Kyle was to go, then we'd have no SF.

except Ryan Kelly.

Duvall
12-05-2009, 02:57 PM
except Ryan Kelly.

What have you seen from Ryan Kelly that makes you think he's suited to play SF in college?

NYDukie
12-05-2009, 03:00 PM

With all due respect, I think saying others are delusional to think Kyle will not go to the NBA is a bit harsh to other posters and short-sighted. Much can change between now and April that spurs Kyle to go to the league or stay another year. I am though in agreement with you to recruit Mabry as it appears he may be under the radar and still developing. And more importantly it allows Coach K to be flexible in filling possible needs for the team.

airowe
12-05-2009, 03:00 PM

I agree. I think Dawkins would be able to slide over to the three for a small lineup, but it would certainly be nice to have some depth and options at that position...

NYDukie
12-05-2009, 03:06 PM
except Ryan Kelly.

I knew someone would say Ryan Kelly. I like him but I just have trouble seeing him playing SF on a regular basis chasing around 6'5, 6'6 speed players and jumping jacks.

Cockabeau
12-05-2009, 03:14 PM
Andre Dawkins will be the Wing if Kyle leaves early.

CDu
12-05-2009, 03:23 PM
except Ryan Kelly.

Kelly is not a SF. He's a PF with good shooting touch. The only reason he sees any time at SF is because we have only 4 perimeter players on the roster, but we have 5 bigs. And really, he hasn't really played SF this year anyway. Next year, once his body has filled out a bit, he'll play PF/C where he's supposed to play.

concrete
12-05-2009, 05:20 PM
i like Mabry's defense, he's blocking shots with two hands in a few videos I've seen. This is the type of athlete we've been missing...would like to see more of him in game but defensively he looks legit as a backup wing player

superdave
12-05-2009, 06:12 PM
Was Mabry or any other recruit at the game today?

El_Diablo
12-05-2009, 06:31 PM
except Ryan Kelly.

and Olek Czyz.

ChicagoCrazy84
12-05-2009, 07:34 PM
Was Mabry or any other recruit at the game today?

I saw a young athletic looking dude with a white Duke bball shirt on sitting right behind the bench. Not sure who it was, but I was thinking it could've been a recruit. Anyone know who I am talking about?

Kedsy
12-05-2009, 11:06 PM
Andre Dawkins will be the Wing if Kyle leaves early.

And Nolan Smith will play there as well. If the other team's "3" is too big for Andre or Nolan to handle, that's where Ryan Kelly and Olek Czyz (and/or maybe Josh Hairston) come in.

chrisheery
12-08-2009, 11:08 PM
This guy kinda has the same shape and appears to have similar skills to a guy I like to call Nate "They Call Rocks as Hard as Him" James.

Pretty sure we can use more guys that are built like men when they show up to campus. Either way, I am glad we have options 1 (Roscoe), 2 and 3 (Zeigler and Mabry in no particular order that I am aware of) this year instead of 1 followed by nothing else.

ChicagoCrazy84
12-08-2009, 11:47 PM
This guy kinda has the same shape and appears to have similar skills to a guy I like to call Nate "They Call Rocks as Hard as Him" James.

Pretty sure we can use more guys that are built like men when they show up to campus. Either way, I am glad we have options 1 (Roscoe), 2 and 3 (Zeigler and Mabry in no particular order that I am aware of) this year instead of 1 followed by nothing else.

I agree, I would love to get more guys built like a DeMarcus Nelson, except actually in the frontcourt. You can only teach toughness to a degree and
we've been missing that edge for a while. I think Mason and Miles can get that eventually, but like you said, it would be nice to bring someone in that has that toughness from day 1.