PDA

View Full Version : Help with subscription sites

dukemomLA
05-02-2007, 05:00 AM
I'm a Cameron Crazy, loving Duke BB. I avidly check in with DBR, DWHoops, Inside, etc.

However, there are several subscription sites whch I am thinking about joining. So...my esteemed DBR friends. Help me! Let me hear your thoughts about which (or all) pay sites are worth the $.

I love the input from Rob C and Watzone on DBR. But there are several $$ sites to which one subscribe.

Thoughts oh might DBR friends. Let me hear from you. Thanks!!

Bob Green
05-02-2007, 05:38 AM
I only belong to one pay site and that is Watzone's Blue Devil Nation premium newsletter. I'm a satisfied customer.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

dukemomLA
05-02-2007, 05:41 AM
Bob, thanks for you input!! dukemomLA

watzone
05-03-2007, 01:01 PM
I'm a Cameron Crazy, loving Duke BB. I avidly check in with DBR, DWHoops, Inside, etc.

However, there are several subscription sites whch I am thinking about joining. So...my esteemed DBR friends. Help me! Let me hear your thoughts about which (or all) pay sites are worth the $.

I love the input from Rob C and Watzone on DBR. But there are several $$ sites to which one subscribe.

Thoughts oh might DBR friends. Let me hear from you. Thanks!!

First off, thanks for the props Bob!

There are a few things you need to know about subscription services. Firstly, they are not for everybody. Some fans are perfectly happy without them. DBR and this board alone provides awesome information. If you are one who wants more though, then you may consider a premium section. In all honesty, I take as much pleasure from my free section. Heck, I like it more. I really do not want to charge for infor, but you have to in ordr to cover expenses.

The meat of the news is on recruiting. There are the major networks, Scout and Rivals.

The advantage of a network are 1) a premium message board (this is arguable) 2) the network backup. For instance, Scout has Telep and the Fox network and Rivals (not nearly as connected with major corps, but as good) has Justin Young. 3) you have access to other schools information, not just Dukes. You can go to say the Kentucky site, and read their premium articles 4) you have a recruiting data base (meaning you can look up a player and get the skinny on his height and weight, etc.) 5) These sites are especially good on football coverage, for the network keeps the owner fed with it's data base. 6) they provide a good overall package with the backup.

The disadvantages for Rivals and Scout (this can be argued) are 1) the folks running the sites are not always passionate, neither being a Duke grad, one not really a true fan growing up. 2) the ads are ridiculous at times 3) they depend on the network, often not getting out there and truly seeing players they chime in on. It can come off as paint by numbers to some. It has to be tough to cover a school you are assigned to. This is not the case with both. 3) the lack of knowledge of Duke history or actually having gone to or seen games in say, the late eighties. It is hard to cover football, if you have never been to but one single game in your life. It can come off as ingenuine, yet the coverage is not only needed but in my opinion servicable.

Then there are the independents, like my site, the Blue Devil Nation and the I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.. The disadvantages are, 1) the lack of a football or recruiting data base. 2) not being able to fall back on accomplished gurus like Telep 3) in my case no message board (I do have a comments section under the posts though) 3) in my case, you get me most of the time, but I have developed a loyal following and we work as a family of sorts (commeraderie is available at the major networks too) 4) you have to like the individual with the information, which can be difficult for some. 5) some consider the independents superfans, who are incapable of objectivity. I will argue that one.

I can tell you of what I consider to be my sites strengths. 1) I know the subject matter and I work my arse off. I go to AAU events, I have honestly been to hundreds of games in Cameron and around 100 games in Wade. It is easy for me, it is not a job but a pleasure. 2) I know our history by heart having grown up in the Vic Bubas era 3) I have developed wonderful relationships and are truly passionate about the team I cover. While I am a huge college basketball and football fan, I concentrate on Duke. 3) Unique coverage - pickup basketball games, the banquet and the pictures only scratch the surface. I believe in being there and providing illustration. I thank DBR and loyal fans for much of my success. It has opened up dreams for me, like writing an article about newcomers Nolan Smith and Taylor King for the Blue Devil Weekly. I am certainly not on the level as icons like Bill Brill, Jim Summner, John Roth, or Al Featherston, but having had the oportunity to share my passion with those I consider fixtures in the Duke Community was personally rewarding.

I know this is my take, but I tried to remain objective and honest. I have had many people join my site from other sites and some subscribe to all of them dropping, keeping the ones they want after tasting the pudding. My rentention rate is close to or at 90%. I am able to say things in premium I can't nor will here because of the sensitive nature. I admit I am pro-Duke, faithful and protective. I think my information is ahead of the curve on all things Duke. I don't pretend to know it all, but I assure you there is more than recruiting involved and that I have had few complaints other than the 100.00 a year price.

I would like to address that. I am not a major network and it takes more to run the site. I have elected to not bother you with advertsing, but I can't promise you that will not come back. I make little money from the venture and that is okay, becuase it is a passion more than a business. My subscribers (and there are quite a few) enable me to provide pictures (lots of bandwidth) and the keep the free section running for all of the Blue Devil Nation to see. The money made pays for my travels to top notch AAU events, and things like camera upgrades, etc. In the long term, I think you get a lot of bang for the buck, if for no other reason than my dedication, vast network of sources and proximity to Duke University. That is of course, if a premium site is your thing.

I am in no way trying to hard sell my site. Again, it is not for everyone and I respect those who think it is the Enquieresque or silly. In my honest opinion, if you can afford two, get one corperate site and definately try an independent for they have rock solid information, especially on hoops. Add DBR and you won't miss a beat.

dukemomLA
05-03-2007, 01:06 PM
YOU are tops on my list -- after getting lots of feedback from my personal email friends, etc. So, you will now have a new subscriber. And, after reading these posts, hopefully more than one! Thanks for all you do. Not only with your subscription site, but with your unselfish willingness to post on DBR and other free venues. Blue Devil Nation, here I come!:)

dwater
05-03-2007, 01:34 PM
Watzone - why no message boards on your site? And do you ever plan on adding that feature to your site?

watzone
05-03-2007, 02:40 PM
Watzone - why no message boards on your site? And do you ever plan on adding that feature to your site?

If I ever get one, it will be premium only. I have always posted at the DBR and consider this my home board. I can't justify a free message board as long as DBR is up and running. It is too much trouble and this is too good a place to discuss the issues. The last thing the Duke community needs is another message board that further seperates it's fans.

So, I may consider a premium message board for members, but in a poll, there wasn't enough interest to justify it. What I do offer is an opportunity for a few questions via email, which I generally respond to. Also, the comment section under the articles serves as a poor mans message board.

BTW, if my analogy is too much, the mods can feel free to remove it.

Cameron
05-03-2007, 06:33 PM
dukemomLA:

Taylor wouldn't happen to be your first born, would he? :)

denniden
05-03-2007, 08:07 PM
dukemomLA, If you don't mind I would like to give you my opinion.

I am a member of both Mark Watson's site and the Rivals site with Randall Thompson.

IMO there is nobody out there that is as passionate, while remaining fair and true to the facts as Mark Watson. In the time I have gotten to correspond with him he has never led me to believe anything other than what the facts were. It is often that I check his site more than a few times a day for his much anticipates updates. You should join his site now.

Rivals is somewhat of my home base. I moderate for a few sites on the Rivals network and Randall and Justin have been very good to me. Randall does a fantastic job covering football. His articles are always well written and not to "homered".

I guess it depends on what you are looking for. Watzones summary says it all.

dukemomLA
05-03-2007, 08:11 PM
Denniden,

Thanks for your input!! I am most appreciative of your thoughts and the post from Watzone. I am definitely signing up for Blue Devil Nation -- and perhaps another. Again, my thanks. GO DUKE!!!!!

DWP
05-03-2007, 09:35 PM
I made the mistake of subscribing to The Devils Beat, and have been disappointed. I selected the monthly rate for my subscription, but was charged the yearly rate. After contacting the site, they said the error would be taken care of. It never was taken care of, despite my efforts to get the charge changed! Even if I had not experienced this problem, I think I would have been disappointed in the site. It is really not all that infomative. On the other hand, I have been satisfied with Scout.

DukeDevilsBB
05-03-2007, 10:48 PM
this message was left blank

wojcol
05-03-2007, 11:25 PM
I agree with Watzone. I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this..com and his own site Blue Devil Nation are the best if you are looking for the inside information on Duke basketball. Both beat Scout and Rivals hands down as he said you can tell they are passionate fans and have inside the program info that the major networks can't touch. I am more than happy with both and would not care to go back to Rivals or Scout.