PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Fan Forum

Johnny B
12-03-2009, 01:33 PM
...just browsing through the Badgers Scout.com forum and found it quite entertaining. Some nice comments about Coach K, and our fans, in how Duke handled the loss. However, some of them clearly think Ol'Roy is "dodgy".

A Carolina fan tried to pay them a backhanded complement and got the following response

"I appreciate all the congratulatory posts from fans of other Big Ten schools (which I hate, and I know it's mutual).

The Tarheel fans almost make me wish we'd lost."

:D

Johnny B

Johnny B
12-03-2009, 03:33 PM
some more...

JohnnieWalker wrote:
I know Duke and UNC hate each other. Contrary to what the UNC fans are saying, the Duke coaches, fans, and players were nothing but incredibly respectful and congratulatory.

I don't have anything but respect for Coach K either. He was very gracious after the game and was very respectful two years ago before and after that game as well.

Agree 100%!!! I'll take Coach K over Roy-Boy Williams and his Opie from Mayberry act any freakin' day."

Johnny B
12-03-2009, 03:34 PM
and more

"The reason to respect Coach K is that he gets it done at a place that's not all that easy to win at. He does it cleanly. His players do to school and by and large graduate. He doesn't carp about losses. He gives credit where due. He's a guy that did it the hard way. He "built" something. He knows what it's like to take over a tough situation and make something of it.

RoyBoy has always bothered me. He's an elitist. His brand of b-ball is the only brand to be admired. He's never "built" anything. He takes over "silver-spoon" programs. RoyBoy at a lesser school would be "a real nice coach". He win some, he'd lose more than he does now. He's made his reputation by only coaching at 2 of the greatest b-ball factories there are and on the backs of elite talent. Without that elite talent, his system would fold like a house of cards at the first stiff breeze."

Johnny B
12-03-2009, 03:36 PM
can't resist one more...

"Once upon a time I tried to hate Coach K too...mostly Duke hate, but he got lumped in...

Now, years wiser, I have to admire the guy in a lot of respects...

3 National Titles...that is amazing, no doubt...
Team USA Gold Medal...finally melded those talents into a TEAM (yes, I know Colangelo had a lot to do with it also...)
The constant winning...it's hard to argue with

But...perhaps the thing that has swung me over to admiration was after the "Greatest Game Ever" with Kentucky back in the early 90's...

Immediately after the game, he went to the KENTUCKY annoucers at the table, donned the headphones and sat with them for a while talking about the game...

He knew they were heartbroken, as the little-team-that-could came up just short in one of the truly all-time upset bids...

He was classy and empethetic during that interview...all the while he could have been doing many other acceptable things after the win: celebrating, his own locker room, etc.

Just showed that he has true class...you can't plan for a spontaneuos moment like that...showed true character..."

jv001
12-03-2009, 03:41 PM
Just what we've known for many years now. Go Coach K and Go Duke!

weezie
12-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Just what we've known for many years now. Go Coach K and Go Duke!

And actually, let's hear it for some good old midwestern values and manners.

bigj4194
12-03-2009, 05:24 PM
I was at the game last night and as much as I love wisconsin (my second favorite college basketball team) I was disappointed by a lot of fans reactions to the game, and I'm not just talking about the students. Many of the adult fans actually had worse reactions than the students and said even more inappropriate things. You would have thought they had won the national championship based off of what the fans were saying and the reactions they were having.

To be fair to the rest of the Wisconsin fans, there were some very pleasant fans and it is shown by the forum posts above. As for my reaction I was pleasant to every wisconsin fan that spoke with me, and sat in a wisconsin section during the game and had very pleasant conversations with the people sitting next to me. I hoped to show how classy Duke fans could be and for the most part every Duke fan that I saw there (not everyone however) was trying to do the same.

I'm glad to see Wisconsin fans have the class that I have known as I grew up (my dad went to UW).

As always GO DUKE!

ChicagoCrazy84
12-03-2009, 06:07 PM
It's always easier to be nice when your team upsets a ranked team. I went to the Purdue game last year, and there were some straight up NASTY fans. One guy told my friend who is black, to "have fun serving fries to my family next week when we go on our ski trip." There was another guy that wanted to fight me. I went to the game last night and everyone was really nice. I was told "great game" a handful of times as I was leaving.

sagegrouse
12-03-2009, 10:20 PM
What's funny about that is the idea of Purdue fans going on a ski trip.

I live in a ski town in Colorado. Every year there are huge groups from major midwestern universities (the ski clubs) that come to town the week or so after New Year's. This is called College Week where I live. And the universities go different places every year, rotating among (presumably) Vail, Breckenridge, Steamboat, Keystone, etc.

They all pile onto buses, which drive straight through, and stay several people to a room or condo. They're here for almost a week and head back. I seem to remember Wisonsin being there, and I am sure we have had groups from Minnesota, Michigan and Ohio State. I don't remember Purdue, but I am sure kids from there show up on occasion. And, of course, there are thirty-somethings that belong to the ski club because you can't beat the price (although I would pay a lot to avoid the bus ride).

The Colorado and Great Plains schools don't do that because ski mountains are much closer. I have never seen a group from Penn State, Rutgers or elsewhere in the East because I think it is just too darn far for a one-week round trip bus trip.

I like having the college kids in town, since I usually go up early in the morning for 2-3 hours (season ski passes are wonderful), and they show up around 11. Makes for an empty mountain. :)

sagegrouse