PDA

View Full Version : women's hoops notes

jimsumner
12-02-2009, 06:44 PM
The Duke women host Ohio State tomorrow night as part of the ACC/Big Ten challenge.

If you have any interest in women's basketball, try to squeeze this one in. Duke is coming off an impressive Thanksgiving trip to Cancun, led by Jasmine Thomas, who had the school's third-ever triple-double in a win over Marquette.

But Ohio State is ranked third in the country. They are keyed by Jantel Lavender, who is playing as well as anyone in the country right now. Lavender is a 6'4" center, who is averaging 24.4 ppg and 9.4 rpg. She is a great shooter. McCallie calls her a "guard in a center's body" able to "catch, turn, and shoot" as well as anyone.

OSU also has an All-America candidate at PG in Samantha Prahalis, who is averaging 10 assists per game. That's pretty rarified air. She had 14 assists earlier this season in an 83-71 win over a Cal team coached by former Duke player and coach Joanne Boyle.

I'm told that Duke already has sold 4,300 tickets for the game. They're shooting for 6,000.

Tip-off at 7. And the monsoon should be over by then.

Deslok
12-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Just double checking, but the game isn't on TV, correct? Would like to watch but oh well.

Duvall
12-02-2009, 06:57 PM
But Ohio State is ranked third in the country. They are keyed by Jantel Lavender, who is playing as well as anyone in the country right now. Lavender is a 6'4" center, who is averaging 24.4 ppg and 9.4 rpg. She is a great shooter. McCallie calls her a "guard in a center's body" able to "catch, turn, and shoot" as well as anyone.

That sounds familiar. I wonder who taught her that.

CameronBornAndBred
12-02-2009, 07:45 PM
Just double checking, but the game isn't on TV, correct? Would like to watch but oh well.
Goduke's inside access is showing all of the non-tv home games on their video stream. They didn't do that last year. I have season tix to the game, but can't make the three hour drive for a lot of them. I'm probably going to get the vid subscription until the women's season is over.

stillcrazie
12-02-2009, 09:07 PM
If you have any interest in women's basketball, try to squeeze this one in.

I'm definitely going. This is going to be a tough match-up, but it will be a good chance to see the freshmen.