PDA

View Full Version : Jay Heaps to Retire

tbyers11
12-02-2009, 01:05 AM
I would like to congratulate Jay on his great professional soccer career as he retires from the New England Revolution of the MLS. A nice article here (http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/soccer/revolution/view.bg?articleid=1215840).

As a member of the same class at Duke as Jay I fondly remember his soccer exploits on some of John Rennie's best teams. He also had a nice little basketball career that began when Coach K was woefully short on able bodies in 1996 and will forever be remembered for his "hip check" of UNC's Jeff MacInnis into press row :)

ChicagoCrazy84
12-02-2009, 01:10 AM
Jay Heaps is/was a beast. What an athlete. Great job on a great career Jay!

Highlander
12-02-2009, 11:14 AM
One of my favorite stories about Jay Heaps was the "Heaps Pool" that the band had in '98. Everyone would put a dollar into a hat, and guess at what time Heaps would come into the game. If you guessed the time exactly right (e.g. 1:43), you won the pot. Otherwise it rolled over to the next game.

The great thing was while we were in the NCAA tourney that year, the band stayed at the same hotel as the basketball team. A few of us were hanging out in the lobby talking (Singleton, McLeod, Heaps IIRC), and somebody let slip about the Heaps pool. Todd thought it was hilarious, and Jay was flabbergasted that we'd been betting on him all season. Then he commented offhand that he wished he could've gotten in on it earlier in the season.

Congrats on a great career Jay!

feldspar
12-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Thirteen years later, and Jay Heaps still owns Jeff McInnis.

DukeUsul
12-02-2009, 01:16 PM
One of my favorite stories about Jay Heaps was the "Heaps Pool" that the band had in '98. Everyone would put a dollar into a hat, and guess at what time Heaps would come into the game. If you guessed the time exactly right (e.g. 1:43), you won the pot. Otherwise it rolled over to the next game.

The great thing was while we were in the NCAA tourney that year, the band stayed at the same hotel as the basketball team. A few of us were hanging out in the lobby talking (Singleton, McLeod, Heaps IIRC), and somebody let slip about the Heaps pool. Todd thought it was hilarious, and Jay was flabbergasted that we'd been betting on him all season. Then he commented offhand that he wished he could've gotten in on it earlier in the season.

Congrats on a great career Jay!

Wow, Highlander, I almost forgot about that. Good times, good times.

Heaps retiring really makes me feel old.

Highlander
12-02-2009, 02:01 PM
Wow, Highlander, I almost forgot about that. Good times, good times.

Heaps retiring really makes me feel old.

I can't remember if it was in Lexington (1st/2nd rd) or Tampa (regionals). Do you remember?