PDA

View Full Version : Barnes plays one high school game, compares self to Jordan, Kobe, and the Mailman

Duke79UNLV77
12-01-2009, 11:26 PM
“I think it’s something I’ve grown accustomed to,” Barnes said. “It’s something I know Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant have. I’m just blessed with the ability. In front of a big crowd, I rise to the occasion.”

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20091130/SPORTS0811/91130027/Boys-basketball-Harrison-Barnes-scores-31-in-Ames-victory-over-Urbandale

“That was Karl Malone’s dunk, the Mailman,” said Barnes, who pre-planned the slam in “tribute” to teammate Nathan Cruise.

http://www.amestrib.com/articles/2009/11/30/ames_tribune/sports/doc4b14ad51ae6f9257968157.txt

Barnes is certainly to be commended on his game, his work ethic, and his academics (although his heavy-handed use of SAT words and incorrect use of "I" instead of "me" in his diaries suggest that he's trying too hard to show off). That being said ("Curb" reference intended), he sure does love him some him.

FerryFor50
12-01-2009, 11:29 PM
“I think it’s something I’ve grown accustomed to,” Barnes said. “It’s something I know Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant have. I’m just blessed with the ability. In front of a big crowd, I rise to the occasion.”

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20091130/SPORTS0811/91130027/Boys-basketball-Harrison-Barnes-scores-31-in-Ames-victory-over-Urbandale

“That was Karl Malone’s dunk, the Mailman,” said Barnes, who pre-planned the slam in “tribute” to teammate Nathan Cruise.

http://www.amestrib.com/articles/2009/11/30/ames_tribune/sports/doc4b14ad51ae6f9257968157.txt

Barnes is certainly to be commended on his game, his work ethic, and his academics (although his heavy-handed use of SAT words and incorrect use of "I" instead of "me" in his diaries suggest that he's trying too hard to show off). That being said ("Curb" reference intended), he sure does love him some him.

No surprise at the school choice, then.

DevilHorns
12-01-2009, 11:32 PM
Wow, how arrogant. Maybe the whole skype thing wasn't something out of character. Thats pretty cocky for someone to say as a high school player, as if rising to the occasion in high school ball is the same as the nba or college. Someone needs a little self-reflection.

moonpie23
12-01-2009, 11:32 PM
darius rucker told me that "hold my hand" was going to be one of the biggest hits EVER in the history of pop radio and he was gonna have him a slice of music history.......this was in 1990

i'm not saying....i'm just sayin......you never know...

Edouble
12-01-2009, 11:35 PM
Well, he didn't really compare himself to Malone, he actually gave credit to the source of the dunk, which is a cool thing to do.

studdlee10
12-01-2009, 11:43 PM
Ughh...this kid is really turning me off. I can see why there are rumors that Harrison isn't a very popular guy around the AAU circuit (including Roscoe Smith).

DevilHorns
12-01-2009, 11:45 PM
Well, he didn't really compare himself to Malone, he actually gave credit to the source of the dunk, which is a cool thing to do.

Don't know if this is the dark-blue glasses, but I still think its cocky. Its like if I recorded a rap song in my basement and gave a shout out to Jayz as an inspiration. I feel like he first has to have established himself at a similar level to Malone to be level-headed enough to make such an implied comparison. Meeting Jordan during his UNC visit and hearing all the praises about his certain stardom has definitely gotten to his head.

airowe
12-01-2009, 11:47 PM
http://bombsanddollars.com/index/Images/HarryMag.jpg

moonpie23
12-01-2009, 11:48 PM
come on y'all....no sour grapes.....let him get to Tar-Holio and THEN we can start bashing him...

dukeballer2294
12-01-2009, 11:49 PM
is this really what were gonna turn into to? just forget about him HS kids and anykid is free to make his own decisions and he chose our rival so what we win and we lose like any school. I guarantee that if he chose Duke we would be praising him and saying that his comparisons with MJ and Kobe were correct and hed be the savior of our program. Im still distraught about the matter too, but in order to move on we cannot dwell on 1 HS kid. Lets pay attention to our 6-0 #5 ranked team and recruits we are actively pursuing not bitter feelings about recruits that didnt choose to go to our school.

DevilHorns
12-01-2009, 11:55 PM
I guarantee that if he chose Duke we would be praising him and saying that his comparisons with MJ and Kobe were correct and hed be the savior of our program.

I don't think this is true. Then again, I don't think anyone would have posted this sort of thread if he had chosen to go to Duke.

dukeballer2294
12-01-2009, 11:56 PM
I guarantee that if he chose Duke we would be praising him and saying that his comparisons with MJ and Kobe were correct and hed be the savior of our program.

I don't think this is true. Then again, I don't know think anyone would have posted this sort of thread if he had chosen to go to Duke.

maybe we wouldnt say he was worthy of those comparisons yet but we certainly wouldnt be bashing him for saying it. OTHO this thread would most likely be called... HB drops 31 in opener.

Boston Dukie
12-02-2009, 02:03 AM
Honestly, this makes me even more upset we did not get him

You have to have a lot of confidence to do and say some of the things he has. Typically players with confidence perform well, and those who lack it do not

He seems to be a personality combination of Laettner, Hurley and Battier. Those guys worked out pretty well ...

Edouble
12-02-2009, 02:12 AM
Honestly, this makes me even more upset we did not get him

You have to have a lot of confidence to do and say some of the things he has. Typically players with confidence perform well, and those who lack it do not

He seems to be a personality combination of Laettner, Hurley and Battier. Those guys worked out pretty well ...

Battier's personality. Har har, that's a good one. ;)

CDu
12-02-2009, 07:48 AM
Come on, guys. We're better than this. Duke has had plenty of supremely confident/over-confident/cocky players and they were adored here. Had he chosen Duke, we'd talk about how excited we are to have such a talent who brings such confidence.

The kid chose a different school. It wasn't a bad choice - it just wasn't the choice we wanted him to make. Time to move on.

NYDukie
12-02-2009, 08:19 AM
Let's get over it now. I'm sure if he was coming to Duke many would be commending him for being confident, etc. A lot of you are sounding like a lil high school girl who just got dumped. The HB thing is over, done with and let's move on as there are other big fish to fry on the recruiting circuit.

SupaDave
12-02-2009, 08:47 AM
I agree. Closing this thread in 3...2...1...