PDA

View Full Version : Any Chance K Goes After Drew Gordon?

BriantheBlogger
12-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Heard that Drew was leaving UCLA, pretty sure Duke recruited him. Any chance we get at him?

DukieTiger
12-01-2009, 05:34 PM
Hmm... I'm thinking we will be happy with Josh Hairston and not feel the need to go after Gordon, but that's just a guess.

BriantheBlogger
12-01-2009, 05:36 PM
gordons a center right? or maybe I'm wrong.

Welcome2DaSlopes
12-01-2009, 05:39 PM
This should be interesting, to see how this goes down.

devilboomer
12-01-2009, 05:42 PM
Duke recruited Gordon. He is a 4/5 and very talented, but it seems like PT is limited at that position for a while. The staff feels good about MP3, so by the time Gordon got to play he'd see: MP1, MP2, MP3, Kelly and Hairston in front of him.

DukieTiger
12-01-2009, 05:45 PM
http://ucla.scout.com/a.z?s=12&p=8&c=1&nid=2058926
http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=8&c=1&nid=3279414

For comparison's sake.

oldnavy
12-01-2009, 05:55 PM
He would have to sit next year, so that would put him essentially in the class of 2011... why not?

I wonder what went wrong at UCLA for him?

El_Diablo
12-01-2009, 05:58 PM
Duke recruited Gordon. He is a 4/5 and very talented, but it seems like PT is limited at that position for a while. The staff feels good about MP3, so by the time Gordon got to play he'd see: MP1, MP2, MP3, Kelly and Hairston in front of him.

MP3 would still be in high school by the time Gordon would be eligible to play (spring semester, 2011).

BriantheBlogger
12-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Then again K doesnt take transfers very often, but you have to figure he did recruit him.

NovaScotian
12-01-2009, 06:47 PM
i think he really liked duke too, iirc, he joined the cameron crazies in the student section for a game once.

dukeballer2294
12-01-2009, 08:23 PM
He would have to sit next year, so that would put him essentially in the class of 2011... why not?

I wonder what went wrong at UCLA for him?

Being in Los Angeles and watching most of their games(also not knowing anything personal about him) it seems as though him and prolly some of the other high profile recruits are upset about this 2-4 rebounding season and they dont see bright spots in the future. I mean if u look at it UCLA has Josh Smith next year and really nothing else, theyve lose to cal st fullerton, long beach state, portland, and butler(yes the last 2 have done well this season) and UCLA, when these players were being recruited, would blow out these teams. I think him in particular would like to develop his talent while winning at the same time.

Apparently conduct is the reason according to ESPN
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4705019

pfrduke
12-01-2009, 08:37 PM
gordons a center right? or maybe I'm wrong.

Gordon is a 6'8" PF as well. His future is likely to be as a face-up 4.

jimsumner
12-01-2009, 09:55 PM
Gordon is listed at 6'9", 230. Lots of smaller guys have played center at Duke. But he's probably best suited to play the 4.

What I recall is some interest between Duke and Gordon and then nothing. Duke seemed to prefer Greg Monroe and Gordon didn't seem especially inclined to come East.

Should Duke sign either Roscoe Smith or Zeigler, the numbers become dicey.

Stranger things have happened but I would be surprised to see K go after Gordon.

DukeUsul
12-01-2009, 10:09 PM
I'd be curious to know what his conduct issues were and if they'd carry over into our locker room.

BlueintheFace
12-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Apparently he was a locker room poison.... not going to happen

oldnavy
12-02-2009, 07:21 AM
Apparently he was a locker room poison.... not going to happen

Yea, we sure do not need that, especially from what seems to be a marginal type player. He may blossom outside of UCLA, but why take a chance, when we have some very soild players and prospects in that position?

NYDukie
12-02-2009, 08:30 AM
I fall into the camp with those who think we should at least inquire as to what made Gordon want to transfer and see if he would be a possible fit as a transfer as there is relationship with coaching staff based on his recruitment. This is all assuming the recruitment was well received on both ends. In addition, based on him transfering now, wouldn't he be eligible as of next January 2011? The assumption that we will be ok with what we have and possible recruits is a bit short sighted I think. Yes, we will have MP1 and MP2 as core frontcourt players due to talent and experience from this year and past years. However, we don't know what Kyle will do next year. In addition, the jury is out on Olek as far as a reliable rotation guy and even though I like Kelly's potential, we don't know which side of the fence he will fall to in Coach K's mind this year and thus be able to project him for next year. By all accounts Josh Hairston seems to be excellent recruit but then again, until he is on campus and practicing, no one knows what we have. I know there are other factors in the future such as MP3 and Miller but I think we are counting our eggs before they hatch. I personally think Miller is the surer bet of the two, whereas I just get the feeling MP3 might look to make his own name somewhere else (others more informed may know better).

All I am saying is that doing our due diligence on Gordon may be a good idea just to cover our bases and after taking that into consideration with what the coaching staff actually knows on all fronts, then a decision to pursue or not pursue Gordon could be decided.

jimsumner
12-02-2009, 10:48 AM
I suspect Duke has a pretty good idea why Gordon left.

If Duke misses on R. Smith and is not getting any good vibes from Zeigler, then maybe.

But let's look at the numbers. Should Duke sign Smith and Gordon, that would leave Duke with two scholarships for the class of 2011. Given that Duke wants Rivers, Miller, and Plumlee from that class, the math is a little fuzzy.

So again, I would be very surprised to see Duke go after Drew Gordon.

devilboomer
12-02-2009, 10:50 AM

If Duke misses on R. Smith and is not getting any good vibes from Zeigler, then maybe.

But let's look at the numbers. Should Duke sign Smith and Gordon, that would leave Duke with two scholarships for the class of 2011. Given that Duke wants Rivers, Miller, and Plumlee from that class, the math is a little fuzzy.

Gordon's mom says they are looking to stay on the West coast.

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_13903963?nclick_check=1

NYDukie
12-02-2009, 10:51 AM

I agree on your thoughts. Just thinking Duke would inquire and do their due diligence to cover all bases due to his prior recruitment. It can't hurt in the end.

jimsumner
12-02-2009, 11:00 AM
You keep saying "due diligence."

Lawyer, maybe? :)

NYDukie
12-02-2009, 11:28 AM
You keep saying "due diligence."

Lawyer, maybe? :)

Hahahahahaah, close if you may. CPA is more like it. You know us number crunchers.

Kewlswim
12-02-2009, 02:05 PM
Hi,

Taylor was apparently a kid who didn't listen. He leaves for Villanova, all of the sudden realizes he wasn't being picked on, etc. listens and what do we have, a player starting to live to his potential. I don't know that much about Gordon and it appears he wouldn't come to Duke anyway, but it seems there is some chance the kid might not be a "poison" or what not. When one is unhappy one is not much fun to be around. I don't know how much he could help Duke, but I think he might help a program.

A better question might be what is going on at UCLA? They are losing to teams (and not just one) they shouldn't be losing to (no offense to those schools, but if you get the talent that UCLA is able to assemble they really have the upper hand). So what is going on? Is it really that players are injured, sick? I don't know. One would think that even the second or third stringers are superior in talent and coaching to those squads. Is Ben Howland the guy Gordon is making him out to be? Hard to believe. Then again, winning, as Coach Madden (Raiders old coach and broadcaster) used to say, "Winning covers up a lot of stink." So maybe things have been bad over there, but they kept winning and so people tolerated it.

GO DUKE!

Heelkiller1
12-02-2009, 05:53 PM
He chose not to come to Duke so I say stay away.

DukeBlueNikeShox
12-02-2009, 07:51 PM
From what I saw in the games against Long Beach and Portland, nobody on that UCLA team is Duke potential. If they didn't show it against Long Beach and Portland, then they don't have it. Sorry...

mgtr
12-02-2009, 08:47 PM
From what I saw in the games against Long Beach and Portland, nobody on that UCLA team is Duke potential. If they didn't show it against Long Beach and Portland, then they don't have it. Sorry...

Well, it looks like as if Portland may be the real deal -- don't know about Long Beach. Portland may be the new Gonzaga or Mount St. Marys, if you remember them in their 15 minutes of fame. Very exciting -- talk about run and gun!

DukeBlueNikeShox
12-02-2009, 11:48 PM
Well, it looks like as if Portland may be the real deal -- don't know about Long Beach. Portland may be the new Gonzaga or Mount St. Marys, if you remember them in their 15 minutes of fame. Very exciting -- talk about run and gun!

I agree! I love their offense and Jack Sikma's son, Luke, is a stud. However, can Drew Gordon help us win ball games?! Heck no! So what good will he do Duke?!