PDA

View Full Version : Ole Roy vs. Roe

Duke79UNLV77
12-01-2009, 02:48 PM
http://noise.typepad.com/hey_joe/2009/12/delvon-and-roy.html#more

juise
12-01-2009, 03:05 PM
Well shucks, I guess recruiting isn't all alumni events and happy skype calls in Chapel Hill. Someone's gotta do the dirty work, dadgummit!

oldnavy
12-01-2009, 03:07 PM
http://noise.typepad.com/hey_joe/2009/12/delvon-and-roy.html#more

Why does this not surprise me about Ol' Roy? I have always sensed that he is not the lovable, jolly good ol boy he pretends to be.
I would love to hear how the tarhole nation defends this one... if they do.

superdave
12-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Why air the dirty laundry? What does this achieve? It makes him look petty and vindictive. For someone who wears his emotions on his sleeve, I guess he also doesnt let things go.

Super "Roe was, what, 16 or 17 at the time?" Dave

eightyearoldsdude
12-01-2009, 03:26 PM
Why does this not surprise me about Ol' Roy? I have always sensed that he is not the lovable, jolly good ol boy he pretends to be.

There is an element of he-said-she-said here, but I don't think it was cool of Roy to call out Roe in his book. Dean would never have done that. I'm not defending it.

But for the record, I don't know what Roy you watch on TV, but he doesn't hide his competitiveness or his temper. I know y'all like to think it's all an awwshucks phoney act, but it's not. Roy is a humble, down to earth man, but also a fiercely competitive man with a pretty substantial temper. They aren't mutually exclusive personality traits, and he really doesn't hide any of them. Unfortunately, the competitiveness and the temper got the better of him in this case.

allenmurray
12-01-2009, 03:36 PM
Roy is a humble, down to earth man, but also a fiercely competitive man with a pretty substantial temper. They aren't mutually exclusive personality traits, and he really doesn't hide any of them. Unfortunately, the competitiveness and the temper got the better of him in this case.

And it wasn't a spontaneous act borne out of "in-the-moment" frustration. He had a chance to think long and hard (and go through the editing process) before he decided to keep it in the book. That moves it from competitive to vindictive in my mind.

oldnavy
12-01-2009, 03:50 PM
And it wasn't a spontaneous act borne out of "in-the-moment" frustration. He had a chance to think long and hard (and go through the editing process) before he decided to keep it in the book. That moves it from competitive to vindictive in my mind.

Exactly! Why even discuss this in a book? If the deal went down like Devon's father said (who knows?), then the kid didn't lie, he changed his mind. There is a distinct difference. And, why be so bitter over that now? I think Roy has rejection issues.

whereinthehellami
12-01-2009, 04:02 PM

Yup. It speaks volumes about the head man who dons the powder blue.

weezie
12-01-2009, 04:08 PM
It's pitiful, is what it is. Huckleberry is a shameless faker. That baby blue suits him, big old baby.

airowe
12-01-2009, 04:22 PM
Roe had a hard time summoning the courage to tell Williams, Blanton said. Blanton told him he had to make the call. He did, and Blanton said Williams started yelling on the other end.
"I don't know exactly the words he was saying, but he was upset," Blanton said of Williams. "He started going off on Delvon. I mean, Delvon's an 11th-grader, he's shook up. So I grabbed the phone and said, 'Let me tell you something, you never disrespect my son like that.'"

Who does that to a 17 year old? I mean, a student manager for misplacing your Sprite sure, he's in college.

oldnavy
12-01-2009, 04:25 PM
Who does that to a 17 year old? I mean, a student manager for misplacing your Sprite sure, he's in college.

Spoiled little men who are used to getting their way! That's who!

weezie
12-01-2009, 04:32 PM
:D:D:D
Emphasis on the LITTLE :p

dukemsu
12-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Not surprising at all, really. I think it's pretty funny that Roy is still upset, since about 10 minutes after Roe declared to MSU, Roy went and got Ed Davis.

Roy gets 99% of the players he wants. Guess that 1% is really sticking in his ol' dadgum craw.

There's been allegations by UNC types that there was a job in the Cleveland Cavs organization given to one of Roe's relatives in exchange for the switch, and that's why Roy went vindictive, like the long-alleged turning in of Donovan to the NCAA on the Mike Miller case. I have no idea if that's true. State's been awfully paranoid about the NCAA since the days of Jud and some minor stuff back then, and no other smoke has arisen during the Izzo era. That's the defense I'm seeing most cited by UNC fans for the rather classless inclusion of this incident in the book.

Carolina by 9. State has problems on the front line.

dukemsu

Duvall
12-01-2009, 05:33 PM
There's been allegations by UNC types that there was a job in the Cleveland Cavs organization given to one of Roe's relatives in exchange for the switch, and that's why Roy went vindictive, like the long-alleged turning in of Donovan to the NCAA on the Mike Miller case.

Do what now?

The Cleveland Cavaliers? Were the RAND Corporation and the Trilateral Commission too busy to get involved?

oldnavy
12-01-2009, 05:51 PM
"I don't think you'll ever hear Roy Williams say, 'I won 500 or I won 600,"' the coach said. "I'd say, 'We won this, and we won that,' and that's really what I believe. I'm not being corny. ... I've been at two great institutions, I've been in places that really are passionate about basketball."

Good grief... who refers to themselves in the third person these days...

DukieTiger
12-01-2009, 05:55 PM
"I don't think you'll ever hear Roy Williams say, 'I won 500 or I won 600,"' the coach said. "I'd say, 'We won this, and we won that,' and that's really what I believe. I'm not being corny. ... I've been at two great institutions, I've been in places that really are passionate about basketball."

Gee Roy... Self-righteous much?

oldnavy
12-01-2009, 06:00 PM

Wait a minute, didn't the fact that you (Roy Williams) say that you don't think you will hear Roy Williams say "I don't think you'll ever hear Roy Williams say, 'I won 500 or I won 600,"' the coach said, mean that you in fact did say it??? I'm confused!

DukeSean
12-01-2009, 06:47 PM
calling out a 17 year old kid in your book. nice. I can see Ol' Roy interrupting the VMA's next year.

DukeBlueNikeShox
12-01-2009, 06:55 PM
Typical from the University of No Class! Maybe Roe should give him a Kansas sticker to wear for the game tonight...

MADevil30
12-01-2009, 07:35 PM

This is actually something I'd been thinking about recently. I'm currently reading Will Blythe's book about the Duke-UNC rivalry, and I was really surprised that some parts do not paint a very nice picture of Roy, especially the way he handled Marvin Scott, which is one of the main themes of the book. Obviously it's only one perspective, and to be fair I haven't finished the book yet, but in reading some of these parts, my first thought was, "I would not want to play for Roy" (Not that I felt any differently to begin with mind you!)

juise
12-01-2009, 07:49 PM
...the way he handled Marvin Scott, which is one of the main themes of the book.

I didn't realize that Roy had issues with politicians from Indiana (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Scott). :p I'm sure you meant Melvin Scott (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melvin_Scott). If you follow the link at the bottom of the page to Quentin Thomas' wikipedia page, you see that his UNC diploma lead him to become an aspiring rapper (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Former-UNC-player-Quentin-Thomas-tries-his-hand-?urn=ncaab,176230).

MADevil30
12-01-2009, 08:02 PM
I didn't realize that Roy had issues with politicians from Indiana (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Scott). :p I'm sure you meant Melvin Scott (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melvin_Scott). If you follow the link at the bottom of the page to Quentin Thomas' wikipedia page, you see that his UNC diploma lead him to become an aspiring rapper (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Former-UNC-player-Quentin-Thomas-tries-his-hand-?urn=ncaab,176230).

My mistake, thanks for catching it! Basically Roy benched him and gave him the roundabout when he asked what he could do to win more time (this was in his senior year). Then on top of that he really berated his players frequently, a type of interaction that the UNC fans love to get on Coach K about ironically

Newton_14
12-01-2009, 08:26 PM
Roy also got in a dig in the WRAL article about the game tonight. He had to remind everyone about the importance of the last win against MSU and that MSU would not be getting a trophy tonight if they put the beat down on his team. Last year is over Huck. It is in the past. 5 and 50 aren't suiting up tonight...

“If they beat us, we’re not going to give them any trophy. If we beat them, we’re not going to get another one. It’s a regular season game. We’re going to try to play as hard as we can.” – Williams

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/story/6520456/

RelativeWays
12-01-2009, 09:04 PM
Roy also got in a dig in the WRAL article about the game tonight. He had to remind everyone about the importance of the last win against MSU and that MSU would not be getting a trophy tonight if they put the beat down on his team. Last year is over Huck. It is in the past. 5 and 50 aren't suiting up tonight...

“If they beat us, we’re not going to give them any trophy. If we beat them, we’re not going to get another one. It’s a regular season game. We’re going to try to play as hard as we can.” – Williams

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/story/6520456/

Sounded to me that he was trying to diffuse the whole "championship rematch" billing this game is getting. In all honesty, he's right, its not a rematch of last years title game. True rematches rarely happen in college in successive years due to the attrition and turnover, though there are exceptions.

Highlander
12-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Noticing Roy in a sling last night, I found it ironic that Roy's shoulder surgery during midseason was crammed during the middle of games, and that he took only the minimum amount of time off to rush back to practice?

Reminds me of another coach who did something similar after back surgery, and then ended up in the hospital. But the two situations couldn't possibly be the same, because we all know that coach "faked" the whole thing.

Sorry, couldn't resist...

CDu
12-02-2009, 11:35 AM
Noticing Roy in a sling last night, I found it ironic that Roy's shoulder surgery during midseason was crammed during the middle of games, and that he took only the minimum amount of time off to rush back to practice?

Reminds me of another coach who did something similar after back surgery, and then ended up in the hospital. But the two situations couldn't possibly be the same, because we all know that coach "faked" the whole thing.

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Well, they won't be similar unless Williams needs to take a year off, right? I don't think UNC fans claim Coach K faked the original injury - just the stuff that required him to take a year off.

dukemsu
12-04-2009, 11:32 AM
from Tom Izzo:

“I was very proud of how he handled it, because I didn’t appreciate it,” Izzo said of Roe. “I wasn’t going to let that be a big thing in the game. But of all the kids in the world that we’re going to pick on, they picked the wrong kid. I can give him a handful that he can pick on who maybe wouldn’t be as honest and up front about things, but him and his family? No, he picked the wrong kid.

“The other thing I thought was wrong was the insinuation like, almost, that Michigan State did something wrong to get him. So he picked the wrong kid, he picked the wrong family and he picked the wrong program. And there’ll be a time. There’ll be a time.”

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2009/12/tom_izzo_on_roy_williams_criti.html?utm_source=fee dburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+msu-spartans+%28MSU+Spartans+Impact+-+MLive.com%29

Not sure when this "time" coach Izzo is referring to will come to pass, but Ol' Roy has infuriated Izzo and the entire Spartan fanbase. The UNC hatred tsunami's northern epicenter is East Lansing, not only for this, but for the fact that State can't seem to beat the Heels (five straight losses). I doubt the Heels are losing sleep, but I like Izzo coming to his player's and program's defense.

dukemsu

oldnavy
12-04-2009, 01:57 PM
"Let's be honest, he said he was coming (to North Carolina)," Williams said of Roe. "I looked everyday in practice and I didn't see him there.”

What a smart a%%! I don't get what he is trying to do. Is he so insulted that a kid would actually change their mind and not go to UNC and play for him, that he feels he must try to cut the kid down??

Hey Roy, GET OVER IT and while you are at it, GET OVER YOURSELF!

airowe
12-04-2009, 02:09 PM
"Let's be honest, he said he was coming (to North Carolina)," Williams said of Roe. "I looked everyday in practice and I didn't see him there.”

What a smart a%%! I don't get what he is trying to do. Is he so insulted that a kid would actually change their mind and not go to UNC and play for him, that he feels he must try to cut the kid down??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvW0SGEqC5k

feldspar
12-04-2009, 02:12 PM
As a human being, Roy, you're not being very sensitive in your book.

oldnavy
12-04-2009, 03:37 PM
Ol Roy seems to be a great guy when things are going well. He just has a tough time being a decent (forget great) guy when things are not going so well. I understand emotion, but there is also a thing called judgement, and he has poor judgement in how he presents himself when he isn't getting the breaks.

Now it seems he has a vendictive side that harbors a deep desire to strike out and hold on to anger when he has been "wronged". My goodness, that must have been what 3 years ago that Devon de-committed, if in fact he did actually commit in the first place.

Get some help Roy!

MChambers
12-04-2009, 03:37 PM

Ol' Roy is so far wrong on this it's amazing. To have compounded his book mistake by talking about it. Wow.

Glad he doesn't coach at my school.

BD80
12-04-2009, 06:05 PM
from Tom Izzo:

"And there’ll be a time. There’ll be a time.”

Not sure when this "time" coach Izzo is referring to will come to pass, ...

dukemsu

Don't underestimate Izzo's influence in the midwest, and among coaches. I don't see 'ol Roy getting national gigs any more. I also think word will start spreading in the AAU circuit from the Detroit teams what kind of person Roy really is. Izzo is a great guy and an honorable man, but not one you want to piss off.

Newton_14
12-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Ol Roy seems to be a great guy when things are going well. He just has a tough time being a decent (forget great) guy when things are not going so well. I understand emotion, but there is also a thing called judgement, and he has poor judgement in how he presents himself when he isn't getting the breaks.

Now it seems he has a vendictive side that harbors a deep desire to strike out and hold on to anger when he has been "wronged". My goodness, that must have been what 3 years ago that Devon de-committed, if in fact he did actually commit in the first place.

Get some help Roy!

And actually, Delvon never publicly committed to UNC-CH. The only publicized verbal was to MSU. So putting the pieces of all the articles and quotes together, it appears Huck may have pressured Roe into a somewhat "soft" verbal against his dad's wishes at that game he attended. But Roe never announced it to anyone publicly. Then once it came time to announce his decision Roe announced a verbal to MSU and shortly afterwards signed the LOI.

To me it is bad enough to have gone off on the kid when he called roy to let him know he had chosen MSU. That was classless in and of itself. But to call the kid a liar in his book, and then take it a step further and make the comments roy made this week, wow. Very revealing....

Wheat/"/"/"
12-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Don't underestimate Izzo's influence in the midwest, and among coaches. I don't see 'ol Roy getting national gigs any more. I also think word will start spreading in the AAU circuit from the Detroit teams what kind of person Roy really is. Izzo is a great guy and an honorable man, but not one you want to piss off.

Roy looks like the kind of person that expects you to keep your word here to me. And I hope that word does spread to the AAU crowd.

As for Izzo, well I respect him and think he's an excellent coach, but he is the one who needs to be worrying about not pissing off Roy, clearly the alpha dog in this fight.

I obviously don't know anything about anything concerning the inside situation between Roy and Roe. I suspect that everyone so quick to judge Roy negatively dosen't know anything either.

On the surface, Roe seems to have looked Roy in the eye and committed to UNC. There seems to be more here than a young kid saying I want to come to your school and then changing his mind.

He evidently, actually said he was coming, in person, and then went back on his word, by phone. I'd be pissed too.

Roe would/should certainly be allowed to change his mind during the process, if he told coach something like "I really want to come", then changed his mind, fine, but that's not what appears to have happened here.

Roy is a coach. A competitive one. Coaches teach. We might just look at this as Roy teaching Roe, and other recruits following all this, that your word has meaning, and if you don't take it seriously, there are repercussions.

I doubt this info made it into the book without some thought to make this point.

At some point, the point when you look the coach in the eye and say you're coming, you have made the commitment. Some might argue that point is not reached until the player signs the letter of intent. I'm in the camp that believes handshakes.

This is big time athletics and potentially millions on the line with the recruitment of every player.

Yea, it worked out that Roy got Davis, and the Heels won a championship. But what if Davis had been told there was no spot since Roe had accepted it and had went ahead and committed elsewhere? Leaving UNC out of the running for a quality post player last year.

Do we just say, oh well... kids do the darndest things...and the tens of thousands of dollars spent travelling around recruiting Roe, and the potential millions the school might have lost if he had made the team unable to compete for a national championship last season mean nothing?

This may be the best thing that could happen to Roe, and other potential recruits out there.

They may be learning that giving someone a comittment, their word, actually has meaning.

Then again it could all be about some publisher convincing Roy to put this in just to sell more books...:)

Sir Stealth
12-04-2009, 07:48 PM
I think that even if everything is put in the best possible light for Roy - if the Roe side of the story really is understating the commitment that he made to Roy, if there was no inappropriate pressure for the commitment, if everything that a UNC fan would hope about the situation is true, then it still looks pretty low for Roy to stoop to the level of calling a kid out in his book for deciding to go to school where he wanted to. Roy is an established coach and Roe was a teenager trying to make the best decision he could under what is probably a large amount of pressure. Is it really appropriate for Roy to stoop down to the level of a very public, premeditated, written accusation towards that player? I personally don't think so, and I also suspect that the behind the scenes facts are more in line with what the Roes said than whatever facts would be more favorable to Roy.

dukemsu
12-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Roy looks like the kind of person that expects you to keep your word here to me. And I hope that word does spread to the AAU crowd.

As for Izzo, well I respect him and think he's an excellent coach, but he is the one who needs to be worrying about not pissing off Roy, clearly the alpha dog in this fight.

I obviously don't know anything about anything concerning the inside situation between Roy and Roe. I suspect that everyone so quick to judge Roy negatively dosen't know anything either.

On the surface, Roe seems to have looked Roy in the eye and committed to UNC. There seems to be more here than a young kid saying I want to come to your school and then changing his mind.

He evidently, actually said he was coming, in person, and then went back on his word, by phone. I'd be pissed too.

Roe would/should certainly be allowed to change his mind during the process, if he told coach something like "I really want to come", then changed his mind, fine, but that's not what appears to have happened here.

Roy is a coach. A competitive one. Coaches teach. We might just look at this as Roy teaching Roe, and other recruits following all this, that your word has meaning, and if you don't take it seriously, there are repercussions.

I doubt this info made it into the book without some thought to make this point.

At some point, the point when you look the coach in the eye and say you're coming, you have made the commitment. Some might argue that point is not reached until the player signs the letter of intent. I'm in the camp that believes handshakes.

This is big time athletics and potentially millions on the line with the recruitment of every player.

Yea, it worked out that Roy got Davis, and the Heels won a championship. But what if Davis had been told there was no spot since Roe had accepted it and had went ahead and committed elsewhere? Leaving UNC out of the running for a quality post player last year.

Do we just say, oh well... kids do the darndest things...and the tens of thousands of dollars spent travelling around recruiting Roe, and the potential millions the school might have lost if he had made the team unable to compete for a national championship last season mean nothing?

This may be the best thing that could happen to Roe, and other potential recruits out there.

They may be learning that giving someone a comittment, their word, actually has meaning.

Then again it could all be about some publisher convincing Roy to put this in just to sell more books...:)

Given Roy's juvenile behavior after not getting one player he wants, I doubt he has much of anything to teach Roe. This is pathetic behavior for someone of his stature. None of this should have been made public. Dukemsu

SMO
12-04-2009, 09:20 PM

Are you suggesting Roe should have flown to Chapel Hill to tell him in person, or would Skype have been better? I'm sure if he had done either Roy would have been 100% cool with his decision:p

SMO
12-04-2009, 09:23 PM
I think that even if everything is put in the best possible light for Roy - if the Roe side of the story really is understating the commitment that he made to Roy, if there was no inappropriate pressure for the commitment, if everything that a UNC fan would hope about the situation is true, then it still looks pretty low for Roy to stoop to the level of calling a kid out in his book for deciding to go to school where he wanted to.

Exactly. This would be like a 3rd grader insulting a grown man, with the grown man coming back at him with a string of profanities and then revisiting the issue in a book. It's silly and immature at best and framing it as a "teachable moment" for the youngster is absurd.

BD80
12-04-2009, 09:39 PM
... I obviously don't know anything about anything concerning the inside situation between Roy and Roe. I suspect that everyone so quick to judge Roy negatively dosen't know anything either. ...

Well, Izzo is judging ol' Huck negatively, and I'll bet he knows Roe's side of things, and Roe's dad's side.

Enjoy your days in the sun while Huckleberry hound is the alpha dog. Doesn't look like it will last, and it looks like ol' Huck is burning some bridges. Sniping at teenagers won't endear you in basketball circles.

If ol' Huck truly is that high character guy you claim him to be, let's see him jetison a recruit who wavers on his commitment. Yeah, THAT'S going to happen.

oldnavy
12-04-2009, 09:41 PM

Just so I understand this, you are saying that Roy is actually doing EVERYONE (future recruits, coaches, the NCAA and the AAU) a favor by calling a kid that changed his mind about which school he wanted to attend a liar... is that what you are really saying?

MChambers
12-05-2009, 07:55 AM

Wheat, I respect your opinions here, and you probably know a lot more about Ol' Roy than I do, but I think you can't successfully defend Ol' Roy on this one. Even if all the facts you suggest are true, Williams is terribly wrong to call the kid a liar in his book and in the press.

oldnavy
12-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Wheat, I respect your opinions here, and you probably know a lot more about Ol' Roy than I do, but I think you can't successfully defend Ol' Roy on this one. Even if all the facts you suggest are true, Williams is terribly wrong to call the kid a liar in his book and in the press.

Agreed. It is understandable that Roy was mad, and forgivable that he may have yelled at the kid, but it is totally ridiculous and unforgivable that he would call the kid a liar in a publication, no matter his reason.

And the "for the greater good/teachable moment" defense is laughable and quite frankly pathetic.