PDA

View Full Version : 11/29/09 ESPN/USAT Coaches poll

mr shadow 008
11-30-2009, 02:01 PM
Duke has Risen to number 5 in the poll. We are also the only other team besides Kansas to receive a first place vote for the second time in two weeks.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4700669

Azdukefan
11-30-2009, 02:04 PM
We are #6 in the AP poll.

mr shadow 008
11-30-2009, 02:06 PM
I'm curious to know who keeps giving us a #1 vote in the coaches poll though.

Azdukefan
11-30-2009, 02:10 PM

I had heard it was Herb (Sendek that is) but I am not sure if that is just talk because we played them last week. Whoever it is, knows their NCAA basketball obviously!

superdave
11-30-2009, 02:11 PM
Has anyone seen Texas play this year? Why are they #2 if they lost AJ Abrams to graduation and Varez Ward to injury? That does not seem to add up.

Also, if Michigan State is so good and universally thought to be a title contender, how do they fall to #9 after a loss to a ranked team? This all just shows how useless polls are in a sport where there's a championship tournament.

CDu
11-30-2009, 02:12 PM

In fairness to us, we're the only team amongst the top 5-6 that has played a really good team and hasn't had to win close (UT has won big, but hasn't played anyone yet). All of our games have essentially been double-digit wins.

Even Kansas won a squeaker. I think they're probably better right now, but they haven't shown it yet.

I guess technically Syracuse (who got a #1 vote in the AP poll) hasn't played a regulation game squeaker, but they did lose in the preseason...

InSpades
11-30-2009, 02:14 PM
Not that I'm advocating looking at RPI #s this early in the season but... I found it enjoyable that Duke was ranked #3 (while UNC was at #103). :). Somehow Duke's SoS is #1 and UNC's is 239. Not that I'm putting any significance into these #s so early in the season but... it's a curiousity at the least.

CDu
11-30-2009, 02:14 PM
Has anyone seen Texas play this year? Why are they #2 if they lost AJ Abrams to graduation and Varez Ward to injury? That does not seem to add up.

Because they were ranked fairly high in the preseason poll and haven't lost yet.

Also, if Michigan State is so good and universally thought to be a title contender, how do they fall to #9 after a loss to a ranked team? This all just shows how useless polls are in a sport where there's a championship tournament.

Agreed. The polls are completely meaningless in college basketball. They should be meaningless period.

BlueintheFace
11-30-2009, 02:47 PM

My money is on an ACC coach

Duvall
11-30-2009, 02:54 PM

Some obvious candidates here (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/rankings?poll=2&year=2010&week=4).

The USA TODAY/ESPN Board of Coaches is made up of 31 head coaches at Division I institutions. All are members of the National Association of Basketball Coaches. The board for the 2009-10 season: Mike Adras, Northern Arizona; Dana Altman, Creighton; Tommy Amaker, Harvard; Tevester Anderson, Jackson State; Ronnie Arrow, South Alabama; Randy Bennett, Saint Mary's; Eddie Biedenbach, North Carolina-Asheville; Jim Boeheim, Syracuse; Rick Byrd, Belmont; Charlie Coles, Miami (Ohio); Steve Fisher, San Diego State; Greg Graham, Boise State; Rob Jeter, Wisconsin-Milwaukee; Billy Kennedy, Murray State; Billy Lange, Navy; Dan Leibovitz, Hartford; Fran McCaffery, Siena; Mike McConathy, Northwestern State; Bob McKillop, Davidson; Phil Martelli, Saint Joseph's; Ron "Fang" Mitchell, Coppin State; Matt Painter, Purdue; Tom Pecora, Hofstra; John Pelphrey, Arkansas; Mike Rice, Robert Morris; Doc Sadler, Nebraska; Herb Sendek, Arizona State; Scott Sutton, Oral Roberts; Bob Williams, UC-Santa Barbara; Gary Williams, Maryland; Doug Wojcik, Tulsa.

Probably not John Pelphrey, though.

RoyalBlue08
11-30-2009, 03:00 PM

Not that I think this poll matters for anything, but it is curious to who the rogue voter is, so to speak. Of the 31 coaches, I can only imagine 4 possibilities:

(And I am putting them in order I think is likely based on no information what so ever.)

1. Tommy Amaker
2. Jim Boeheim (perhaps due to TEAM USA association?)
3. Herb Sendek (we play them, Herb always had a healthy respect for K)
4. Gary Williams (seems a little unlikely, but he is the only ACC coach with a vote)

juise
11-30-2009, 03:06 PM
Not that I think this poll matters for anything, but it is curious to who the rogue voter is, so to speak. Of the 31 coaches, I can only imagine 4 possibilities:

(And I am putting them in order I think is likely based on no information what so ever.)

1. Tommy Amaker
4. Gary Williams (seems a little unlikely, but he is the only ACC coach with a vote)

Those are some good guesses, but I'm sure that Coach K and Duke have plenty of admirors all over the country.

Are we sure that the Kyoto News doesn't have a vote in this poll? :p

In other news, I want to give a shoutout to the Portland Pilots for making the AP top 25. My mom did a year or so of grad school there and I took in quite a few of their games (including some Steve Nash appearances). It's nice to see them making waves in the non-conference schedule... though I suppose the UCLA win has become pretty unimpressive at this point.

jv001
11-30-2009, 03:11 PM

1. Tommy Amaker

And you can see why the top 3 might vote Duke #1. Tommy Amaker former great pg at Duke. Former asst coach at Duke.
Boeheim is a good friend of Coach K and was with him on the USA Gold medal team. Herb I guess you would say is a friend of Coach K. I remember Coach sticking up for him when he was under fire at NC State. As far as Gary, I just don't see him giving Duke anything positive. My vote is for TA. Royal Blue at heart. Go Duke!

moonpie23
11-30-2009, 03:22 PM
polls don't mean ca-ca....

UrinalCake
11-30-2009, 03:26 PM
Polls are essentially a measure of how long it has been since each team lost.

SCMatt33
11-30-2009, 03:29 PM
Just to put it out there, UNC had a number one vote before losing to Syracuse. We got a number one vote the next week. Maybe someone had us 1-2 to start the year and perhaps it was Gary Williams so he could pump up the ACC's rankings.

jv001
11-30-2009, 03:33 PM
Just to put it out there, UNC had a number one vote before losing to Syracuse. We got a number one vote the next week. Maybe someone had us 1-2 to start the year and perhaps it was Gary Williams so he could pump up the ACC's rankings.

It will be a cold day in hades before Gary votes for Duke in the polls. Gary has a hate for Duke almost as bad as Len Elmore. Oh what do they have in common? Go Duke!

sagegrouse
11-30-2009, 04:02 PM
It will be a cold day in hades before Gary votes for Duke in the polls. Gary has a hate for Duke almost as bad as Len Elmore. Oh what do they have in common? Go Duke!

As a long-time habitue of establishments in our nation's capital, I have come to be an active non-believer in conspiracy theories (except during a political campaign). Most odd or unfriendly behavior is better explained by laziness and procrastination than ill will. As a close friend says, "When all is said and done, more will be said than done."

That said and WRT the coaches poll, surely much of the work is done by assistants or ops directors or student manager before it is approved and submitted by the head coach.

I seriously doubt that Gary Williams or Tommy Amaker would "throw" his vote -- I mean, who the hell cares anyway?

And BTW voter Doug Wojcik of Tulsa has an ACC (and service academy) background, albeit at UNC. My sense is that most of the coaches in the ACC belong to a fraternity and while there are some personal differences, most of these guys get along pretty well.

sagegrouse
'I can't imagine this post makes any sense at all'

jv001
11-30-2009, 04:11 PM
As a long-time habitue of establishments in our nation's capital, I have come to be an active non-believer in conspiracy theories (except during a political campaign). Most odd or unfriendly behavior is better explained by laziness and procrastination than ill will. As a close friend says, "When all is said and done, more will be said than done."

I seriously doubt that Gary Williams or Tommy Amaker would "throw" his vote -- I mean, who the hell cares anyway?

sagegrouse
'I can't imagine this post makes any sense at all'

But some would think ACC Basketball is somewhat like a political campaign. Many conspiracy theeories. And I really don't give a hoot as to who voted Duke #1. None of this matters until years end anyway and it will not be decided by a poll. Go Duke!

moonpie23
11-30-2009, 04:19 PM
conspiracy theories

did someone need my help ? :)

Indoor66
11-30-2009, 04:33 PM
I have come to be an active non-believer in conspiracy theories

Where is Julia when you need her?