PDA

View Full Version : I kinda like Tubby Smith

ice-9
11-30-2009, 01:55 PM
From a Parrish article (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/12596629/monday-look-back-gators-24hour-swing-makes-lasting-impression)...

Final thought: Far as November games go, Minnesota had a big one Sunday. The Gophers met Texas A&M in the third-place game of the 76 Classic. It was on national television, the outcome could affect how they're seeded in the NCAA tournament, and Tubby Smith understood all this. Still, he sat two key players -- Lawrence Westbrook and Al Nolen -- the first half for what amounted to some sort of undisclosed violation of team rules, and Smith never thought twice about it.

Texas A&M beat Minnesota 66-65.

What a stark contrast to slimy Calimari...

chrisheery
11-30-2009, 03:08 PM
for you to love him?

I love the guy. He is everying a college basketball coach is supposed to be. He is even more impressive in my mind because he must have stood up to all kinds of boosters trying to push him to be dirty at Kentucky. I am basing that on the fact that those same boosters went out and got a coach who has had 2 final fours disqualified after the fact.

He's an absolute star in my mind. If there were no Coach K, I would want Tubby.

jv001
11-30-2009, 03:23 PM
Kentucky fans will miss Tubby when NCAA probation comes. Tubby is a man of integrity and I hope he's successful at Minnesota. It's a good fit and the young men on his squad are going to better people for having played for him. Besides I think Tubby is from Salisbury, NC and that's another reason to like him. Go Duke!

chrisheery
11-30-2009, 04:53 PM
He also attended High Point College (now university). I'm from HP so I feel like we have a bond.

jv001
11-30-2009, 05:32 PM
He also attended High Point College (now university). I'm from HP so I feel like we have a bond.

Home for Oak Hollow Golf Course and not far from Jamestown Golf Course. I had a friend graduate from what was then High Point College in the late 70's. Knew Coach Steele very well as both were in the coaching fraternity. Go Duke!

Verga3
11-30-2009, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the post jyuwono. Wish there were more stories like this. The last line struck me.

"They didn't do anything seriously wrong," Smith concluded. "I just want to see them take responsibility."

Wow. Here's a coach that cares more about mentoring young adults than about winning a basketball game. Guess what....he will win plenty of games with this philosophy. Minnesota is fortunate.

KyDevilinIL
12-01-2009, 08:28 AM
Tubby Smith is absolutely a good man and a very-good-too-great college basketball coach. His ultimate downfall at UK was that he too often tried to bring in players who could benefit personally from Tubby's program, not necessarily in purely basketball-related ways. That didn't translate into wins all the time, and the anti-Tubby stuff from the fans began. Once that starts, there is no escape.

Whatever. Tubby seems happier where he is, free to do whatever he feels best for his kids, largely without ignorant pressures from meddlers.

And UK has what they wanted: the exact opposite.

bigj4194
12-01-2009, 03:22 PM
As a grad student at the University of Minnesota I too like Tubby. But I am always and will always be a Duke fan first :)

KenTankerous
12-01-2009, 06:01 PM
I am a UK fan and I wish Tubby was still in Lexington. Calipari scares the bejesus out of me. Tubby may not have won as much as UK fans wanted but he was a good coach and a better teacher. And don't let anybody tell you otherwise, his race WAS a factor.

Every time I get on here and start talking about how slimy KY and it's fans are, I wonder why I don't just give up on them and go with the purer shade of blue. But it just doesn't work that way, does it? To give up Ky basketball, I think I'd have to give up basketball all together, and that I won't do.

And I'm not that impressed with Cal's superstars. I bet UNC hangs a double digit loss on UK this weekend. Duke, on the other hand, looked like a final four team against UConn.

DevilHorns
12-01-2009, 06:20 PM
Every time I get on here and start talking about how slimy KY and it's fans are, I wonder why I don't just give up on them and go with the purer shade of blue. But it just doesn't work that way, does it? To give up Ky basketball, I think I'd have to give up basketball all together, and that I won't do.

As much as I want to say just drop KY and become a Duke fan, you're right, you just can't do it and be true to yourself. You can however, secretly hope that Duke does well whenever KY isn't in the picture :)

KenTankerous
12-01-2009, 06:59 PM
Of course, DH, I always cheer for Duke. I love Coach K, have read his books and even received a personal email from him when I emailed an anecdote about how "Leading with the Heart" helped me resolve a divisive issue with an employee.

I'm just dreading the day, in March, or heaven forbid, early April, when UK and Duke play each other...