PDA

View Full Version : Search Function: A Friendly Reminder

BlueintheFace
11-29-2009, 11:47 PM
In the last few weeks I have seen quite a few needless threads pop up on subjects that already have threads devoted to them. This is just a friendly reminder that just because a thread doesn't appear on the first page of the message board does not mean that there isn't already a long and developed thread on the topic.

All you have to do is type in one or two key words after clicking on the search tab before starting your thread so as to make sure that you aren't starting a needless thread.

The search function is especially helpful if you are:

(1) just asking a question about a topic, player, team, statistic, schedule issue, etc... that will likely be common knowledge on the board. If it is common knowledge, chances are you will probably find a thread appropriate for your question.

(2) thinking about starting a thread on a subject that has probably been broached multiple times on the board already this season (Ex: an injury to a player, a recruit, a recent alum, a bench/transfer player that probably already has his own thread, etc...)

(3) thinking about starting a thread about a specific game. Chances are there is already a thread about non-Duke games around the country each week (UNC is an obvious exception).

There are other topic areas which might warrant a quick trip to the search tab before starting a thread, but those three are the most common ones that come to mind. I have certainly been guilty of this from time to time myself, but I figured we could all just use a little reminder.

-Blue "wishing I had a cool gimmick like JE" intheface

airowe
11-30-2009, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the PSA, BITF. It's needed. In case people can't find the search function for some reason, click here (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/search.php).

rasputin
11-30-2009, 12:52 PM
In the last few weeks I have seen quite a few needless threads pop up on subjects that already have threads devoted to them. This is just a friendly reminder that just because a thread doesn't appear on the first page of the message board does not mean that there isn't already a long and developed thread on the topic.

All you have to do is type in one or two key words after clicking on the search tab before starting your thread so as to make sure that you aren't starting a needless thread.

The search function is especially helpful if you are:

(1) just asking a question about a topic, player, team, statistic, schedule issue, etc... that will likely be common knowledge on the board. If it is common knowledge, chances are you will probably find a thread appropriate for your question.

(2) thinking about starting a thread on a subject that has probably been broached multiple times on the board already this season (Ex: an injury to a player, a recruit, a recent alum, a bench/transfer player that probably already has his own thread, etc...)

(3) thinking about starting a thread about a specific game. Chances are there is already a thread about non-Duke games around the country each week (UNC is an obvious exception).

There are other topic areas which might warrant a quick trip to the search tab before starting a thread, but those three are the most common ones that come to mind. I have certainly been guilty of this from time to time myself, but I figured we could all just use a little reminder.

-Blue "wishing I had a cool gimmick like JE" intheface

I predict that sometime in February, there will be three threads wherein people ask what the tiebreaker system is for seeding in the ACC Tournament.:D

BlueintheFace
11-30-2009, 05:54 PM
No seriously you guys, SEARCH FUNCTION. This has happened twice already today with THIS THREAD on the front page... (shaking head).