PDA

View Full Version : Andre Dawkins

roywhite
11-29-2009, 04:44 PM
http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/players/statlines.php?playerid=2737

Just checking Andre's stats after 6 games; very impressive. Obviously, the first thing is shooting 50% from 3-points, but he also has some assists and steals, has not been prone to turnovers, and has produced a very solid 19+ minutes per game.

Mighty glad to have you, Andre.

feldspar
11-29-2009, 04:57 PM
Who knows what Elliott Williams' role would have been had he stayed (likely pretty significant), but I think it's safe to say that, thus far, Andre's decision to come in and fill that hole has played out tremendously for Duke.

Way to go, Andre. Filling shoes quite nicely.

Kedsy
11-29-2009, 05:04 PM
http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/players/statlines.php?playerid=2737

Just checking Andre's stats after 6 games; very impressive. Obviously, the first thing is shooting 50% from 3-points, but he also has some assists and steals, has not been prone to turnovers, and has produced a very solid 19+ minutes per game.

Mighty glad to have you, Andre.

Turnover to assist ratio of 3.5; 100% from the free throw line; best points per minute ratio on the team. And the most steals per minute of the wing players (oddly, Z, Miles, Ryan, and Olek have the four best steals per minute ratios on the team).

Andre is already doing more than I'd hoped, but if he can keep it up against the tougher competition while also bringing his minutes into the 22 to 24 range, it would make our collection of wing players truly special.

airowe
11-29-2009, 05:07 PM
Who knows what Elliott Williams' role would have been had he stayed (likely pretty significant), but I think it's safe to say that, thus far, Andre's decision to come in and fill that hole has played out tremendously for Duke.

Way to go, Andre. Filling shoes quite nicely.

Yeah, I think we got an upgrade with Andre, and I loved Elliott for his contributions last year. Even though a year behind, Andre's game seems more complete to me than Elliott's even now. What Andre gives up to Elliott in athleticism (not much) he makes up for it with his outside stroke, defense, and intelligent play.

Read below :cool:

Hermy-own
11-29-2009, 05:31 PM
Yeah, I think we got an upgrade with Andre, and I loved Elliott for his contributions last year. Even though a year behind, Andre's game seems more complete to me than Elliott's even now. What Andre gives up to Elliott in athleticism (not much) he makes up for it with his outside stroke, defense, and intelligent play.

Read below :cool:

I agree with almost everything you said, except that Elliot's defense was his speciality. And his offense was definitely improving at the end of last year. Looking at him now, he is averaging big numbers at Memphis. On the other hand, Andre's stroke is sweet, along with his pts per minute. Elliot is a bit better on the defensive end, but boy am I glad to have Andre.

As for who is better this year, it is honestly a close call.

jimsumner
11-29-2009, 05:34 PM
Knowledgeable observers are projecting Elliott Williams as an NBA lottery pick after this season.

Dawkins may well reach that level, even surpass it down the line. And he's a better shooter right now than Williams. But as an overall talent, you'd have to have real Duke-tinted glasses to see Dawkins as an upgrade over Williams for the 2009-10 season.

Azdukefan
11-29-2009, 05:49 PM
Knowledgeable observers are projecting Elliott Williams as an NBA lottery pick after this season.

Dawkins may well reach that level, even surpass it down the line. And he's a better shooter right now than Williams. But as an overall talent, you'd have to have real Duke-tinted glasses to see Dawkins as an upgrade over Williams for the 2009-10 season.

Mark me down for a pair of those shades! My man crush with Andre gets bigger and bigger following every game. The only aspect of EW's current game that I see further ahead of Andre's is his defense. Outside of that, I will take Andre 8 days a week over EW.

feldspar
11-29-2009, 05:54 PM

Agreed, calling Andre "an upgrade" is quite a stretch. When I heard about Elliott leaving and Andre coming early, my thoughts were that best-case scenario would be Andre coming in and averaging 7 to 8 points a game. So far, he's surpassing that. But I think it's safe to say Elliott, especially in this team's make-up, would have just thrived.

duke09hms
11-29-2009, 06:11 PM
It's probably not productive nor healthy for us to compare Dawkins and Elliott. Andre is doing a great job as it is for a freshman guard, and he basically saved our season by coming in early, but to say he's better than E-Dub? Elliott's averaging like 20 ppg this season and can take it to the hoop at will, an ability lacking on our current team. Dre is great, but Elliott is playing out of his mind right now.

Come on people.

Edouble
11-29-2009, 06:21 PM
It's probably not productive nor healthy for us to compare Dawkins and Elliott. Andre is doing a great job as it is for a freshman guard, and he basically saved our season by coming in early, but to say he's better than E-Dub? Elliott's averaging like 20 ppg this season and can take it to the hoop at will, an ability lacking on our current team. Dre is great, but Elliott is playing out of his mind right now.

Come on people.

Elliott is alarmingly athletic and has the benefit of a year with Duke's coaching staff. Andre is not at that level, but he has far exceeded my expectations both numbers-wise and with his on court demeanor. At this time last year, there's no way that Elliott was gonna come in and put points on the board with the kind of confidence and almost swagger that Andre has shown us thus far. I am very glad to have him, and I look forward to more great things from him.

slower
11-29-2009, 06:39 PM
Yes, we'll all miss Elliott. But we've got Dre, and he ain't chopped liver. LOVE the kid. He's gonna be the real deal.

Can you even imagine the swagger that our perimeter guys will bring next year when Kyrie gets here and Nolan, Dre and Seth all have another year on them? If Thornton is the glue guy that he appears to be (and especially if he's "The Kendall Marshall Stopper"), it will be a thing of beauty. And if by some remote chance Kyle comes back, forget about it. We will drink your milkshake.

But let's stick to this year - Dre is only getting started.

chrisheery
11-29-2009, 06:52 PM

I disagree with this logic a bit. I think Elliot is putting up great numbers and is a very very good player. However, the reason he may be projected to be a lottery pick is that he has free range to take terrible shots. He's on a second tier (at best) team with very little other talent. Andre fits Duke's system better, I think that point is hard to argue. Because of that, I think, for Duke, Andre actually is a better player for this and next season.

weezie
11-29-2009, 06:56 PM
Mark me down for a pair of those shades!

Yeah, me too. AD also has some kind of sparkle about him, he looks happy to contribute and I'm happy he's happy.

COYS
11-29-2009, 07:06 PM
I disagree with this logic a bit. I think Elliot is putting up great numbers and is a very very good player. However, the reason he may be projected to be a lottery pick is that he has free range to take terrible shots. He's on a second tier (at best) team with very little other talent. Andre fits Duke's system better, I think that point is hard to argue. Because of that, I think, for Duke, Andre actually is a better player for this and next season.

I do take issue with this. Elliot showed incredible promise as an elite defender with excellent skills in the open court. For K's brand of man-to-man, it's hard to design a better player. Good length, excellent quickness, and the ability to run the break and get to the rim in a flash are all extremely important qualities that fit Duke's system very well. Now, Elliot probably wouldn't average 20ppg for Duke because he'd still be surrounded by more talent, but he could easily be in the middle teens if he were still playing in Durham. There are lots of players that score a lot for bad teams that are not projected as lottery picks. Elliot has been shooting up the draft boards because his physical tools give him the potential to be really good. Yes, he needs to improve his outside shooting, ball handling, and decision making to become an elite prospect, in my opinion, but there is nothing about Elliot Williams that did not make him a good fit for Duke or virtually any other program, for that matter. I'd argue that Elliot's defense at the end of last year (and his improved offense) gave last year's team just as much of a boost as Andre's offense has this year, so far. I love Andre and I think he's got a great future. He certainly has the potential to become an NBA draft pick, as well. But to argue that Elliot somehow didn't fit Duke's system as well as Andre is just crazy talk, in my opinion. What system would Elliot be ill suited for besides maybe a half court offense that feeds the ball into the post and plays a soft zone defense? What system would Andre's sweet three point shooting not fit into? They're different players, but personally I wish we had both on our team this year. I wish Elliot well and am sorry we couldn't see just how much he could blossom in Duke's system both offensively and defensively.

Cockabeau
11-29-2009, 07:32 PM
Andre Dawkins gives Duke that dreaded second shooter...

As of right now, teams simply cannot leave Jon or Andre open for the outside shot and that opens things up for everyone else.

Now, if Nolan and/or Kyle get hot from outside how are you going to guard Duke????

ncexnyc
11-29-2009, 07:38 PM

While we are butting heads on another thread, I have to agree with you here.

Williams did start off slowly last year, but came on strong at the end. He could attack the basket and was no slouch on the boards.

I'm very happy with Dre, but wish we still had Williams.

Newton_14
11-29-2009, 08:51 PM
I personally would have preferred to have them both! Not likely that would have happened but this team would hurt people if we had both of those kids.

They are totally different players that would have complimented each other well. If I had to choose though, it would be tough, but I would have to go with the sophomore Williams over the freshman Dawkins. Eliot played suffocating defense, and while he would not have been anything close to the 3 point threat that Andre is, he would have gotten his points in a different manner.

I will agree with one poster who pointed out Eliot is getting way more shots at Memphis than he would have gotten this year and his shooting percentage is not that good. But he is a player.

As for Andre, I am not surprised at how well he has performed thus far. He really stepped his game up over this past summer and was dominating games. And his AAU coach who also saw JJ play numerous times and may have coached JJ as well (can't recall) was quoted as saying that while Andre was not as good a shooter as JJ, he was darn close. He predicted that Andre would be a deadly shooter from long range from the get go. So far he is correct.

Andre's defense is also improving. The one weakness he has for now is that he is really hesitant pushing the ball up the floor in traffic after he grabs a defensive board. Once he gets comfortable with that and improves his handle in traffic and overall, he will be even better and K will be able to get a little more rest for Jon or Nolan.

chrisheery
11-29-2009, 08:57 PM
I am not sure why everyone is saying that Andre isn't the athlete that Elliot is. Andre is an amazing athlete. So far, we have not seen the lateral quickness that Elliot showed, but at this time last year, Elliot wasn't even really participating in games. So, to be fair to Andre, he may still show us his incredible athleticism. Right now, he is doing what he does best so he can play and not making silly mistakes that would keep him from playing.

However, the point above is valid and I guess I should have recognized it. Elliot, at least right now, would have been a much better fit on defense than Andre. I was making the point about offense. We already have 3 "go to" guys on offense and Andre is a much better complimentary players than Elliot would have been because he can and does hit open shots regularly.

BlueintheFace
11-29-2009, 09:13 PM
Andre has been nothing short of impressive on offense this year (in large part because he has played within himself), but he HAS been beaten (badly a few times) off the dribble when playing man defense. He has a ways to go yet, but I am very encouraged by his start at Duke.

G man
11-29-2009, 09:18 PM
Not only was he great for recruiting, but he has been just as good as a player! I hope he continues with the hard work!

DukeBlood
11-29-2009, 10:18 PM
Andre Dawkins gives Duke that dreaded second shooter...

As of right now, teams simply cannot leave Jon or Andre open for the outside shot and that opens things up for everyone else.

Now, if Nolan and/or Kyle get hot from outside how are you going to guard Duke????

Kyle is shooting 41.4% from beyond the arc, while Jon is shooting 40%. Nolan Smith is shooting a respectable 35% from deep. Teams absolutely cannot leave ANY of these guys open, nor they will pay. Not to mention that Kelly is a shooter as well, but he isn't getting the time to show this. In due time for him though.

As far as the Andre vs. Williams comparison, are you guys serious? ;). Elliot had to do what he had to for his family. Andre did what he had to to help his second family. They are different players who bring different skill sets. Good luck to both.

Also, Go Memphis. Its alot easier to root for them with Cal gone.

ricks68
11-29-2009, 10:33 PM
I've been waiting until now to say this: How is it that no one has commented on the first smile on the court from Andre this year? I think it was after his second 3 went in, but I'm not sure. Didn't anyone else notice it? I think maybe that shot broke some new ground, and may have enabled him to reach a new comfort level. (As if he appears to really need it.) Even the commentators in previous games noted his mature staid expression.:D

ricks

JBDuke
11-29-2009, 10:42 PM
One of the other things about Eliot's game that I don't see Andre duplicating is his rebounding. EWill was long and could jump, and he often came up with rebounds in traffic over taller, stronger players. Andre has showed an admirable willingness to go in amongst the trees, and he's come up with some sneaky boards and points in the paint. But EWill could do that pretty regularly, and I don't think we should be expecting the same of Andre.

Mike Corey
11-29-2009, 10:46 PM
Andre and Elliot are very different players. Andre is at a position of (great) need whereas Elliot was able to be brought along more slowly.

Their skillsets are quite different, too--having both would be a helluva thing this year.

It'll be easy rooting for Elliot to thrive at Memphis and beyond; and easier to root for Andre, whose tireless work for Duke on the recruiting trail, and now in Cameron, has already proven quite valuable.

Ultrarunner
11-29-2009, 10:46 PM
Kyle is shooting 41.4% from beyond the arc, while Jon is shooting 40%. Nolan Smith is shooting a respectable 35% from deep. Teams absolutely cannot leave ANY of these guys open, nor they will pay. Not to mention that Kelly is a shooter as well, but he isn't getting the time to show this. In due time for him though.

If you think it's fun now, think about next year.

Duke down one, puts Mason, Kyrie, Seth, Andre and Nolan on the floor with 6 seconds left.

How would you like to defend that? And that's assuming Kyle is making money instead of coming back for his senior season.

Oriole Way
11-30-2009, 03:13 AM
I love what Andre has done thus far, and I hope Coach K starts getting him more minutes. I know Coach K most likely feels that Andre has a ways to go on the defensive end, and he does, but I really feel that Andre makes Duke a much better team when he's on the floor. Would like to see him get to 25 minutes per game before we get to the ACC schedule.

The way Dawkins has helped recruit players such as Tyler Thornton, Josh Hairston, and Kyrie Irving already made him a favorite player of mine before he even played a game.

I have watched college basketball closely for more than a decade, and NBA basketball closely for more than 5 years (followed it fairly closely since Michael Jordan's first title teams). I know this is blasphemous to say, but Dawkins is the closest thing I have seen to Ray Allen. I'm definitely not saying that Dawkins will go on to become one of the NBA's greatest all-time shooters, but Dawkins' skill set is eerily similar to Allen's.

Mrezt
11-30-2009, 07:05 AM
Dawkins is awesome and quickly becoming one of my favorites on this team. I expected him to be pretty good but maybe still streaky as a shooter, but so far he has been great. I trust him shooting the ball and especially from the 3, what shot that kid has. And his confidence is great to see as well, fist-pumps..big smiles after making a couple of shots, i love it.

Also, I think we should stay away from the Dawkins/Williams comparisons

dukestheheat
11-30-2009, 08:16 AM
Has anyone noticed the pure form of Dawkins' release? What is impressive to me is that his total form sets that jumpshot up for success; he ends it with the goose-neck for backspin and the whole shot seems balanced. He'll be able to teach youngsters proper form in the camps coming up!

check out his early release, here:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/21112009/5/photo/21112009222843.html

Please, anyone with any post-release shots, feel free to toss them in!

dth.

Battierfan01
11-30-2009, 08:51 AM
Has anyone noticed the pure form of Dawkins' release? What is impressive to me is that his total form sets that jumpshot up for success; he ends it with the goose-neck for backspin and the whole shot seems balanced. He'll be able to teach youngsters proper form in the camps coming up!

dth.

I have said since the first time I saw him shoot, that Dawkins has one of the best looking jump shots that I have seen in a long time. I coach youth basketball and Dawkins does everything that I try to teach my kids when it comes to the jump shot. I would love to be able to show them a video of Dawkins shooting and point out all of the things that I try to teach. The kid just has perfect form.

Battierfan01

dukestheheat
11-30-2009, 08:53 AM
^^^^^

The Defense Minister has spoken!

dth.

airowe
11-30-2009, 11:25 AM
Do you guys think Andre is "athletic"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFSBQaskzA0

IBleedBlue
11-30-2009, 11:35 AM
was money. That was the first time I have seen a Dukie do it and it made me jump out of my couch and yell...we need that emotion...

roywhite
12-03-2009, 10:05 AM
What a shooter!

His progress and his contributions have been outstanding, better than expected especially considering his age and late enrollment. And he's performed well not just in CIS against over-matched opponents, but in MSG and Kohl Arena against very good teams.

I don't expect him to continue shooting 3-point FG's at a 55.6% pace, but his form, touch, and his length coupled with his leaping ability enable him to get a quality jump shot off with just a slight bit of room.

On defense, he's a work in progress, but shows promise. On offense, seems only reasonable the team and coaches look to provide more shooting opportunities for him.

KShip21
12-03-2009, 10:30 AM
I shall call him "Splash"

Andre "Splash" Dawkins

KShip21
12-03-2009, 10:33 AM
What a shooter!

On offense, seems only reasonable the team and coaches look to provide more shooting opportunities for him.

Completely agree. However, I would like him to just not settle into a jumpshooter. Watching highlights, he can get to the rim and score. Would like to see him develop that part of him game as well. Give us another option besides Nolan in that regard

PhillyDuke
12-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Andre is actually in position to be a very potent offensive weapon for us. This will truly happen when he incorporates taking people to the whole to his game. We can not allow him just to stand on the perimeter and shoot three's. People are going to contest his shot, so he's going to have to start taking people to the whole.

jv001
12-03-2009, 10:48 AM
I completely agree with the poster that said comparing Andre to E. Williams is not a good thing. E-Will is not part of the Duke team any longer and Andre is. I wish Elliot and his mom well and hope he has a good season. Keep shooting lights out Andre and Go Duke!

jaimedun34
12-03-2009, 10:51 AM
What has impressed me the most about Dawkins is that, at least on ever shot that I have seen him take, his feet are set and he doesn't rush.

I thought he was the most composed player on the floor last night.

jv001
12-03-2009, 11:02 AM
What has impressed me the most about Dawkins is that, at least on ever shot that I have seen him take, his feet are set and he doesn't rush.

I thought he was the most composed player on the floor last night.

I would like for Andre to take Lance aside and show him how important it is to square up and shoot the jump shot. Lance seems to never have his body squared up when he takes a midrange jumpshot. His legs seem close together and his body turned slightly sideways. Looks real odd to me. Go Duke!

DukieBoy
12-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Dre has become a great asset to this team. His shooting last night kept the game close when we essentially had no business being in it. And, as a freshman, he's produced much more quickly and effectively than I'm sure anyone thought.

But what I'm really anxious for is further down the road this year and next year. All you hear about it Duke not having a "break em down, get to the rack scorer" when we have those long stretches without a FG. I think Dre can become that player. He's athletic enough and versatile enough to do that. I don't expect him to become that player this year with Jon, Nolan, and Singler getting a lot of the touches, but working on that over the summer would be great.

But for now, I'm thrilled to have him for Duke. All this does is make me more and more anxious for 2010. Imagine a lineup with Seth and Dre in at the same time.

Johnboy
12-03-2009, 11:35 AM
Andre is actually in position to be a very potent offensive weapon for us. This will truly happen when he incorporates taking people to the whole to his game. We can not allow him just to stand on the perimeter and shoot three's. People are going to contest his shot, so he's going to have to start taking people to the whole.

When His game becomes perfect, He will take His people "to the whole" and show them to be one with the universe. But other teams, He will fight to the pain, that's for sure. He will leave them in anguish, wallowing in freakish misery forever.

;)

Methodistman
12-03-2009, 11:49 AM
This may have been mentioned in the post-game thread, and I apologize for rehashing it if so, but was anyone else watching the game hoping that Andre, and ONLY Andre, would be shooting in the last couple of minutes? Just as you could tell that Kyle could not miss early in the first half, I felt you could tell the same thing about Andre late in the game.

Rudy
12-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Hmmm. A gunner from Virginia comes in as a freshman and shows great promise as a 3 pt shooter, needs work on defense and needs to develop a driving game to complement his outside shot. Sounds a little familiar. Let's hope his career arc continues the similarity.

KShip21
12-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Hmmm. A gunner from Virginia comes in as a freshman and shows great promise as a 3 pt shooter, needs work on defense and needs to develop a driving game to complement his outside shot. Sounds a little familiar. Let's hope his career arc continues the similarity.

Best quote of this thread

BlueDevilCorvette!
12-03-2009, 12:33 PM
With Andre, the defense will come together as the season progresses. He has the ability to drive to the hole and play above the rim just like G. Henderson (we just haven't seen him do it often...don't sell him short), however why force that especially when the Plumlees are taking care of business in the post. I admit, yes I wanted to see Dawkins take the last shot. The guy was feeling it and I couldn't care less whether it was a freshman taking the last shot or not but just take a good shot. Dawkins is rapidly becoming my favorite player at this point. The kid has ice water going through his veins!

airowe
12-03-2009, 12:50 PM
This may have been mentioned in the post-game thread, and I apologize for rehashing it if so, but was anyone else watching the game hoping that Andre, and ONLY Andre, would be shooting in the last couple of minutes? Just as you could tell that Kyle could not miss early in the first half, I felt you could tell the same thing about Andre late in the game.

I think Wisconsin knew it as well.

Duke4life92
12-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Don't know if anyone has said this before or not but, it's a travesty if "stone cold dre" does'nt get 10-15 shots a game.The kid is money.

Kedsy
12-03-2009, 01:21 PM
When His game becomes perfect, He will take His people "to the whole" and show them to be one with the universe. But other teams, He will fight to the pain, that's for sure. He will leave them in anguish, wallowing in freakish misery forever.

;)

Inconceivable.

Classof06
12-03-2009, 01:46 PM
The thing I love about Dawkins is that he has no fear or conscience whatsoever. I'm absolutely loving his attitude. He comes in the game looking to score. I think it speaks volumes when players like Smith, Singler and Scheyer are looking to get him the ball down the stretch in his first true road game. The scary part is that he's really only exhibited his shot; there's no doubt he's capable of getting to the rim and when he adds that dimension, watch out.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but Dawkins brings something, an attitude/swagger, that Duke has been missing.

Between Dawkins and Mason, I look forward to every game that much more, just to see their development.

Greg_Newton
12-03-2009, 02:15 PM

Andre is shooting an ungodly 78% from three in his past 4 games (14-18). I know what you're saying, but I'm pretty happy with letting him stand on the perimeter and shoot threes for now!

theAlaskanBear
12-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Andre is shooting an ungodly 78% from three in his past 4 games (14-18). I know what you're saying, but I'm pretty happy with letting him stand on the perimeter and shoot threes for now!

Against UConn, Dawkins showed he can use the screen for a partial drive and a midrange jumper. Against UConn, he also got out on the fast break, got fouled and muscled the shot in off the glass.

Just because we haven't seen him do a lot of driving doesn't mean he can't. Right now the offense is set up so that Dawkins sits outside waiting to receive a pass and hit a three. I think he will show more dynamism as the season progresses and he shoulders a bigger offensive load for the Devils.

IBleedBlue
12-03-2009, 04:26 PM
let's assume he sits on the perimeter and waits for his shot, he would still be commanding one defender all the time as they can't leave him alone. That means, the other guys have to worry about one less defender while driving to the hoop. I will take that as the worst case scenario. :)

Greg_Newton
12-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Against UConn, Dawkins showed he can use the screen for a partial drive and a midrange jumper. Against UConn, he also got out on the fast break, got fouled and muscled the shot in off the glass.

Just because we haven't seen him do a lot of driving doesn't mean he can't. Right now the offense is set up so that Dawkins sits outside waiting to receive a pass and hit a three. I think he will show more dynamism as the season progresses and he shoulders a bigger offensive load for the Devils.

Oh, I don't disagree at all. I was just pointing out that given he is currently averaging over 2 points per every 3 point attempt (:eek:) during the past 4 games, I'm pretty content to just let him fire away for now!

BlueintheFace
12-03-2009, 04:48 PM
Yes, Andre is a very good three point shooter. The next step is to see if he can shot fake and step in to a midrange jumper or draw contact on the drive. That is a HUGE step and I would be surprised if we saw it consistently any time soon. I would actually be surprised if we saw it this year at all.

Let's not get too excited folks. Andre is a very nice piece on this team right now, but he is a long way from being a good rounded basketball player. He needs work defensively and especially with ball handling (which he looks uncomfortable with).

Personally, I am hoping he can keep hitting those threes, get out on the break when needed, and PLAY SMART DEFENSE. Thats it. The rest is gravy for a freshman with his body type and maturity.

... and I say this as somebody who has chosen Andre Dawkins to fawn over as his next favorite player in Duke Basketball.

hq2
12-03-2009, 05:03 PM
Andre's like J.J. at this stage in his career, only maybe better. Remember, J.J. in his early days wasn't known for his defense, only shooting. Right now, the team should be running plays for 'dre as soon as he gets in. 10-15 shots is the minimum; with a stroke like that, I want him to shoot every time down!

SMO
12-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Personally, I am hoping he can keep hitting those threes, get out on the break when needed, and PLAY SMART DEFENSE. Thats it. The rest is gravy for a freshman with his body type and maturity.

Defense will be the key to his development this year. He got lost a few times against WISC but that's to be expected. If he can learn the system and continue to do what he's done on offense (or even be a little less productive) he'll end up having a great 1st year.

G man
12-03-2009, 07:11 PM
I would like to see him continue to be himself