PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Game Napping

Truth
11-29-2009, 03:58 PM
No, not for me - although I could certainly use one :-)

To keep this "on topic," I just saw a tweet from Shelden that indicated he just awoke from his pre-game nap and was getting ready for his game against the Miami Heat tonight. I seem to recall many other NBA players mentioning pre-game naps, but I do not recall this coming up as often for college players.

Does anyone have any insight into the "pre-game napping" ritual? Is it more prevalent in the NBA than college? Why?

Also, is there science/strategy behind it -- i.e., one performs most optimally X hours after being awake?

Perhaps some players just so busy that they do not get a sufficient amount of sleep during the typical night and must supplement with naps?

Thoughts?

YourLandlord
11-29-2009, 04:23 PM
Perhaps some players just so busy that they do not get a sufficient amount of sleep during the typical night and must supplement with naps?

Bingo. Although "so busy" generally means staying out late at da club. [not implying this about Shel, as he is married etc. But in general.]

flyingdutchdevil
11-29-2009, 04:36 PM
Ummmm.....Jason Kidd was married. So is Stephen Marbury and those two are crazy party animals. Being married seems nothing. Being responsible does, which is what Shelden is.

Duvall
11-29-2009, 05:17 PM
Bingo. Although "so busy" generally means staying out late at da club. [not implying this about Shel, as he is married etc. But in general.]

Though the baby might explain the need for pre-game naps.

Lord Ash
11-29-2009, 05:39 PM
Some people take them because naps make them feel refreshed. Some people (myself included) just wake up feeling groggy... I could never nap before a game, I'll tell you that.

weezie
11-29-2009, 06:58 PM
Though the baby might explain the need for pre-game naps.

Spoken like a real dad!

DukieinIndy
11-29-2009, 09:16 PM
Coach K referenced pre-game naps in his books. I think it is a great way for the coaches, players, staff, etc to get some extra energy for a very draining event.

zingit
11-29-2009, 09:59 PM
I'm sure it's also hard to fall asleep right after a game if you've got your adrenaline pumping. And especially when you're on the road, and may hit 4 different cities in 5 nights or something crazy like that, you can get jet-lagged.