PDA

View Full Version : Top 100 list

bluepenguin
05-01-2007, 10:46 AM
ok, i have been out of the loop for a while (i think i've finally recovered from Deng entering the draft:rolleyes:).
But, looking at the top 100 list, there is nobody committed to unc. Is that really true?????

freedevil
05-01-2007, 10:49 AM
Yes. They only had one available scholly and when Kevin Love chose UCLA, they opted to not extend an offer to anyone else.

Troublemaker
05-01-2007, 11:33 AM
Yes. They only had one available scholly and when Kevin Love chose UCLA, they opted to not extend an offer to anyone else.

Well, they had more than one since Terry and Miller are both seniors and BWright was likely gone, but you're right that they chose to focus on the class of 2008 instead. They're likely to have a fantastic '08 class that includes one player at each position on the court. As Duke fans, we're really just hoping that they end up with as many second choices as possible. It's already happened at PF with first choice Delvon Roe going to Michigan St. Still, they'll have a fantastic class.

jimsumner
05-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Miller wasn't on scholarship this season so UNC had one available scholarship until Wright opted for the NBA.

dcarp23
05-01-2007, 03:30 PM
Is Mike Copeland on scholarship?

Olympic Fan
05-02-2007, 10:27 AM
Copeland is a recruited, scholarship player ...

His deal is much like Andre Buckner's who played at Duke. After Coach K was surprised by all the defections after the 1999 season, he wanted to bring in another point guard -- one at least good enough to challenge Jason Williams in practice.

Buckner, the younger brother of Clemsonn standout Greg Buckner, was all set to attend Tennessee as a walk-on. He came to Duke and was on scholartship four years. He never played much (he had one fairly significant on-court moment in a close game at Clemson in his four years), but he did exactly what he was recruited to do and became a good practice player for Jason and later Chris Duhon.

Roy Williams was surprised when he was wiped out after the 2005 national title. He knew Felton and McCants were gone, but he really thought Marvin Williams and Sean May would stay. When both left, he was caught short up front, so he made a late scholarship offer to Copeland who was such an academic question mark that nobody had offered him (Copeland finally qualified at the very last moment).

Jim is right, they had 13 players on scholarship this season -- but Miller (who WAS on scholarship in 2006) was not one of them. He gave up his scholarship so Roy could bring in six players.

Terry's departure opened up one spot -- Roy wanted to use it for Kevin Love. When Love picked UCLA, Roy tried to get in the Patrick Patterson race, but it was too late ... the family wasn't open to new contenders. After that, he decided to sit on the scholarship and use it next year.

Wright's departure will leave UNC with 11 scholarship players this year (unless Roy gives a walk-on a temporary 'ship as he did with Miller in 2006). Quentin Thomas will be the only senior, so even next year, UNC has just three openings (plus however many underclassmen jump after next season).

Cameron
05-02-2007, 07:02 PM
he had one fairly significant on-court moment in a close game at Clemson in his four years

I also seem to recall an even more significant moment during Andre's career at Duke, one that earned him much respect in my household:)

That a boy, 'Dre.

jmb
05-02-2007, 09:19 PM
in other news on this top 100 list, canisius has a top-100 recruit???