PDA

View Full Version : BcS

JasonEvans
11-28-2009, 11:47 AM
TCU (Mountain West) and Boise St (WAC) are one thing, but isn't it going to cause an uproar when a BCS conference produces an undefeated team (Cincy in the BEast) and they get frozen out of the national title game too?

C'mon Cincy, beat Pitt at Pitt. That would be a real statement win. If they do that, isn't it more impressive than anything Texas has done this year?

As an aside, I see all these BCS matchup projections and none of them seem to have TCU, Cincy, or Boise State playing each other. Why not have 2 undefeated teams match up in a bowl game? Why is it preferable to see these undefeated teams versus teams with a loss?

I am rooting for 3 or 4 undefeated teams at the end of the year ;)

--Jason "BcS chaos... bring it on!!" Evans

A-Tex Devil
11-28-2009, 12:33 PM
TCU (Mountain West) and Boise St (WAC) are one thing, but isn't it going to cause an uproar when a BCS conference produces an undefeated team (Cincy in the BEast) and they get frozen out of the national title game too?

C'mon Cincy, beat Pitt at Pitt. That would be a real statement win. If they do that, isn't it more impressive than anything Texas has done this year?

As an aside, I see all these BCS matchup projections and none of them seem to have TCU, Cincy, or Boise State playing each other. Why not have 2 undefeated teams match up in a bowl game? Why is it preferable to see these undefeated teams versus teams with a loss?

I am rooting for 3 or 4 undefeated teams at the end of the year ;)

Simple answer -- $$. No one wants to see Cincy-TCU/Boise-TCU, etc. (Plus TCU already beat Boise last year).

It's the same reason the Big Televen is (undeservedly) going to get 2 teams into the BCS. That's right. Unless the Fiesta Bowl does the right thing and picks Boise, then either Penn State, who has beaten exactly nobody, or Iowa, who may be the worst 10-2 team I have ever seen in a BCS conference, will be in the BCS. This would be over a 2 loss GaTech or Cincinnati. Them's the breaks.

To see how it might play out, click the link with the procedure:
BCS Procedures (http://www.tournamentofroses.com/bcs/bcs-selection-procedure.asp)

Let's assume UT and Cincy win conference and Gators win today to simplify things.

BCS Championship will be UT (2) vs. SEC Winner (1).

Rose Bowl - OSU-Winner of Oregon civil war
Sugar Bowl - gets first pick since they lost SEC winner. They will pick SEC loser.
Fiesta Bowl - gets second pick since they lost Texas. Let's get back to this. Unless Fiesta Bowl uses this pick on Boise, Boise won't get in.
Orange Bowl - gets ACC Champ plus third pick

Sooooo....... who does the Fiesta Bowl pick? Assuming they beat OU, I am going with Oklahoma St.

Orange Bowl - ACC Winner. They won't pick Cincy since Cincy was there last year. They will pick the PSU/Iowa garbage over TCU for $$ reasons, I think. Probably PSU which is even more of a travesty.

Fiesta Bowl. Hmmmmm.... Cincy or TCU. Gotta think they take TCU. I hope not, but Cincy travels worse than TCU

Sugar Bowl. Left with Cincy.

So unless one of the bowls has a crisis of conscience and picks Boise, you are looking at:

BCS - UT-SEC Winner
Rose - tOSU - Civil War Winner
Sugar - SEC Loser - Cincy
Orange - ACC Winner vs. PSU/Iowa
Fiesta - Okie Light vs Frogs

A-Tex Devil
11-28-2009, 04:13 PM
So the Sooners helped Boise out today.

The way it will play out now, I think is:

BCS: UT-SEC Champ
Rose: OSU-Civil War winner
Sugar: SEC Loser (slot1)-(slot 4)
Fiesta: (slot 2)-(slot 5)
Orange: ACC Champ-(slot 3)

The SEC, BIG X and TCU will be 3 of the 4 at large teams. So Boise has to be rooting for no upsets next weekend. If Texas loses, they definitely get in ahead of Boise. If Ga Tech loses, I think they do too. If Oregon loses and is eligible, I could definitely see the bowls making a cash grab and inviting either them or VaTech (assuming Ga Tech wins) over Boise.

kmspeaks
11-28-2009, 07:36 PM

Auburn was one bad series away. :mad::rolleyes:

If they hold on to that upset Bama could have handed the BCS absolute chaos by turning around and beating Florida. Oh what could have been. :cool:

Wander
11-29-2009, 03:50 AM
It's not like Hawaii from a couple of years ago either. TCU and Cincy are both really, really good. Worthy of playing in a national title game.

Oh, and the two ACC title game participants lost to mediocre SEC teams. Pathetic.

Kfan4Life
11-29-2009, 05:36 AM
Georgia is more talented than any team in the ACC. It was also a rivalry game. The Georgia Players still had memories of GT tearing up the hedges, and the seniors putting the score of last years game on their rings. This was a sweet weekend for me. First K taking Calhoun to the woodshed, and then Georgia running the ball down Techs throat. I graduated from Georgia so I pull for the Football team, but I have been a fan of Duke basketball since watching Dawkins and Amaker slapping the court when I was a kid.

JasonEvans
11-29-2009, 08:49 AM
Auburn was one bad series away. :mad::rolleyes:

If they hold on to that upset Bama could have handed the BCS absolute chaos by turning around and beating Florida. Oh what could have been. :cool:

No, I don't see that scenario as chaos. That scenario actually helps the BcS because it removes controversy about who plays in the national title game. If there are only 2 teams who played a legit schedule who are undefeated then the BcS has worked perfectly and there is no chaos.

Chaos comes when there are a lot of undefeated teams getting shut out of playing in meaningful games. When that happens, we get more and more people saying, "this is so silly, why don't we have a playoff?"

-Jason "If Boise beat Oregon soundly but does not even get a 2nd-tier BcS game, that is some chaos" Evans

kmspeaks
11-29-2009, 11:06 AM
No, I don't see that scenario as chaos. That scenario actually helps the BcS because it removes controversy about who plays in the national title game. If there are only 2 teams who played a legit schedule who are undefeated then the BcS has worked perfectly and there is no chaos.

Chaos comes when there are a lot of undefeated teams getting shut out of playing in meaningful games. When that happens, we get more and more people saying, "this is so silly, why don't we have a playoff?"

-Jason "If Boise beat Oregon soundly but does not even get a 2nd-tier BcS game, that is some chaos" Evans

You are right the BCS may have gotten what it wanted in 2, and only 2, undefeated teams from BCS conferences in that scenario. I do think though that the voters might believe a 1 loss Florida/Alabama is better than an undefeated Cincinnati and definitely better than an undefeated TCU/Boise St. You could have discrepancies between polls and the BCS. (Or if you want to go conspiracy theory you could say the BCS may be manipulated to keep Cincinnati out since Texas vs. 1 loss SEC team probably means more $$.)

Take it a step further and say Cincinnati somehow upsets Texas in the title game. Now who does the AP say is better. Undefeated Cincinnati or a 1 loss SEC team that didn't get to play Texas. Could we have a split national title?

Of course all of this is meaningless since Auburn couldn't finish. It's probably double meaningless as well because if 2004 with USC, Oklahoma, and Auburn being undefeated didn't bring about a playoff I don't know what will. :(:mad:

A-Tex Devil
11-29-2009, 11:40 AM
Everything fell into place for Boise over the weekend. They just have to cross fingers that Nebraska doesn't upset Texas. If that doesn't happen, I can't imagine voters picking a Cincy team that just lost to Pitt over them. The only outside fly in the ointment might be Virginia Tech, who will be eligible for the BCS. That would create quite an uproar, though.

I want Boise to make a BCS bowl for all the wrong reasons. I'll go on record saying the Oregon win was a fluke. I hope they get beat bad so next time they go undefeated we can all go "isn't that nice" and they don't waste time on my TV. They had their shining moment 3 years ago and it was wonderful. But had they played a team whose coach knew how to win a bowl game they would have lost like they should have. :D

(PS --- Why does Bob Stoops eat his Cheerios on a plate?......

... because if they were in a bowl, he would lose them!)

JasonEvans
11-29-2009, 11:16 PM
The guys at ESPN who project the bowls are in agreement--

Citi BCS National Championship Game SEC winner vs. Texas
Tostitos Fiesta Iowa vs. Boise State
Allstate Sugar SEC loser vs. Cincinnati
FedEx Orange Georgia Tech vs. TCU
Rose Bowl Oregon vs. Ohio State

Pity, I had really hoped we'd get Cincy vs. TCU. Those two can PLAY.

--Jason "if I am TCU, my goal is to whup the SEC loser by more than the SEC winner did" Evans

Wander
11-30-2009, 12:01 AM

Clemson is the x-factor here (well, Nebraska too I guess, but this is more realistic). If they beat GT, that could screw up this entire pairing, because they've already lost to TCU this season. Bowls might not want a rematch...

-bdbd
11-30-2009, 01:37 AM
Hey, if Duke keeps getting better, as we generally have been saying, and many or even most (?) of us think that Duke will be playing in a bowl game in the next 2-3 years, as well as more frequently after that, then it occurs to me that, as Duke fans, we might not WANT a playoff system (which is what I think Jason and others are seeking). One of the side-effects of having a football playoff would be that fewer schools would make bowls (while those actually in the playoffs would get to play 2-3 more times). I too have long argued for playoffs, out of basic fairness, but am having second thoughts if it means our beloved Devils will miss bowling when they otherwise would have made a bowl game in a couple/few years...

Just saying...

:rolleyes:

P.S. I think we get to see TWO National Championship games this year -- since Bama and FLA are probably the best two teams out there, the SEC Championship is, de-facto, the first NC Game. The second will be when Texas takes on the winner (though I expect an SEC team to be dancing at the end of that one).

P.P.S. The ACC can only blame itself - and its repeated FB mediocrity - for not benefitting more from the current BCS set-up, as unfair as it is. Given our southern location, if some of the bigger-fanbase-ACC-schools could pull together some 0 or 1 or 2 loss seasons, the same bias that causes the BCS to choose PSU (blech!) or Iowa, would also favor a large school from much closer to the Bowl location... Say, if Clemson or GT or FSU were a 1-loss or even 2 loss team, and didn't win the conference, then the Sugar bowl would be hard-pressed not to follow their wallet to that ACC school.

P.P.P.S. Do we have any predictions for ACC team destinations? I'm thinking GT to the Orange, Clemson to Peach (though VT or even MIA are possible), Miami to the Gator, VT (or Mia) to the Orlando Bowl (Champs I believe), and Kerlina to the Tire Bowl again, in Charlotte. FSU goes last, I think that is the Emerald Bowl. Where does that leave BC - Washington DC (Eagle Bank Bowl) or in Boise?

blazindw
11-30-2009, 10:06 AM

Pity, I had really hoped we'd get Cincy vs. TCU. Those two can PLAY.

--Jason "if I am TCU, my goal is to whup the SEC loser by more than the SEC winner did" Evans

I would hope to get Cincy vs. TCU as well, but it's not going to happen. That wouldn't attract ratings. Plus, when one team wins, a lot of the rest of the nation can go "Yawn, we'll never know what they could have done against 'real' competition". Putting Cincy against Bama/UF or TCU against Tech will give them a real chance to show themselves on the national stage. They remain undefeated, all the talk will then begin about how good they really were.

kmspeaks
11-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Hey, if Duke keeps getting better, as we generally have been saying, and many or even most (?) of us think that Duke will be playing in a bowl game in the next 2-3 years, as well as more frequently after that, then it occurs to me that, as Duke fans, we might not WANT a playoff system (which is what I think Jason and others are seeking). One of the side-effects of having a football playoff would be that fewer schools would make bowls (while those actually in the playoffs would get to play 2-3 more times). I too have long argued for playoffs, out of basic fairness, but am having second thoughts if it means our beloved Devils will miss bowling when they otherwise would have made a bowl game in a couple/few years...

Just saying...

:rolleyes:

Well some of the playoff proposals would still keep the other bowls for those 6+ win teams who don't make it into the playoff. So Duke would still get its reward for getting the football program moving in the right direction.

A-Tex Devil
11-30-2009, 01:16 PM
I would hope to get Cincy vs. TCU as well, but it's not going to happen. That wouldn't attract ratings. Plus, when one team wins, a lot of the rest of the nation can go "Yawn, we'll never know what they could have done against 'real' competition". Putting Cincy against Bama/UF or TCU against Tech will give them a real chance to show themselves on the national stage. They remain undefeated, all the talk will then begin about how good they really were.

Assuming Texas wins, the order of picks for at large will go Sugar, Fiesta, Orange, Sugar, Fiesta.

So the question becomes, will the Sugar choose between TCU and Cincy, or go for the cash grab of PSU/Iowa?

The bowls have the unenviable task of picking among 3 teams that simply don't travel very well or are small (TCU, Cincy, Boise St.).

ForkFondler
11-30-2009, 03:46 PM
Well some of the playoff proposals would still keep the other bowls for those 6+ win teams who don't make it into the playoff. So Duke would still get its reward for getting the football program moving in the right direction.

Right, I don't think a having a football tournament would eliminate all the bowls - we still have the NOT, don't we?. They could easily have a sixteen team tournament with the first two rounds in late November and early December, possibly with conference titles comprising some of the first round games. Then anybody not in the final four could go on to another bowl.

A-Tex Devil
11-30-2009, 04:18 PM
Assuming Texas wins, the order of picks for at large will go Sugar, Fiesta, Orange, Sugar, Fiesta.

So the question becomes, will the Sugar choose between TCU and Cincy, or go for the cash grab of PSU/Iowa?

The bowls have the unenviable task of picking among 3 teams that simply don't travel very well or are small (TCU, Cincy, Boise St.).

I am mistaken -- Fiesta has the first real choice as the Sugar will almost certainly pick the SEC loser. So it goes down like this:

Sugar - SEC loser
Fiesta - Probably PSU/Iowa over the other 3 undefeateds just to guarantee a gate.
Orange - They don't want Cincy (who played there last year). But they don't want TCU or Boise either. Their best bet is TCU probably. So let's go that route.

But what happens if the Sugar Bowl or the Fiesta Bowl go rogue with their second pick and choose USC or VaTech over Boise? You know they want to.

Highlander
11-30-2009, 04:30 PM
Right, I don't think a having a football tournament would eliminate all the bowls - we still have the NOT, don't we?. They could easily have a sixteen team tournament with the first two rounds in late November and early December, possibly with conference titles comprising some of the first round games. Then anybody not in the final four could go on to another bowl.

The thing that I hate about the current BCS system is that teams are chosen primarily based on how much $ they bring the bowl, and not based on how deserving they are. Until that model changes, the SEC and Big 12 will always be in line for 2 BCS bids every year. I'd love for the other conferences to man up and ditch the model. I'd also love for the ACC to grow a set and actually field a decent title contender for once in a blue moon so they could be in the discussion.

blazindw
11-30-2009, 04:51 PM
I am mistaken -- Fiesta has the first real choice as the Sugar will almost certainly pick the SEC loser. So it goes down like this:

Sugar - SEC loser
Fiesta - Probably PSU/Iowa over the other 3 undefeateds just to guarantee a gate.
Orange - They don't want Cincy (who played there last year). But they don't want TCU or Boise either. Their best bet is TCU probably. So let's go that route.

But what happens if the Sugar Bowl or the Fiesta Bowl go rogue with their second pick and choose USC or VaTech over Boise? You know they want to.

As it stands right now, USC cannot be selected for the BCS since they're not in the top 14. They are 18th right now and would have to somehow annihilate Arizona and leap 4 spots to even be considered.

One possibility is Va Tech. Their fans travel in DROVES, and I bet the Sugar Bowl would love to have them. I think the Fiesta would take TCU, as a lot of TCU fans are secondary Longhorns fans and are used to traveling to the desert. However, I think that Cincy would be slotted here anyway since the Orange doesn't want them and the Sugar would probably want to take Va Tech, which would have the Horned Frogs in Dade County. Assuming all holds true, it could be this:

BCS - UF/Bama-Texas
Fiesta - PSU/Iowa-Cincy
Sugar - UF/Bama-Va Tech
Rose - Ohio Snake-Oregon/Oregon St.
Orange - GT-TCU

A-Tex Devil
11-30-2009, 04:57 PM
As it stands right now, USC cannot be selected for the BCS since they're not in the top 14. They are 18th right now and would have to somehow annihilate Arizona and leap 4 spots to even be considered.

One possibility is Va Tech. Their fans travel in DROVES, and I bet the Sugar Bowl would love to have them. I think the Fiesta would take TCU, as a lot of TCU fans are secondary Longhorns fans and are used to traveling to the desert. However, I think that Cincy would be slotted here anyway since the Orange doesn't want them and the Sugar would probably want to take Va Tech, which would have the Horned Frogs in Dade County. Assuming all holds true, it could be this:

BCS - UF/Bama-Texas
Fiesta - PSU/Iowa-Cincy
Sugar - UF/Bama-Va Tech
Orange - GT-TCU

You are right about USC. Sugar won't be 'Bama VaTech if 'Bama loses to Florida. They won't do that rematch.

If Oregon loses, they are another potential fly in the ointment as they will still be top 14. Fiesta Bowl could potentially snag them instead of a Boise. If the Fiesta Bowl doesn't want Boise St., Boise St. ain't making the dance, I don't think.

I was at the Poinsettia Bowl last year, though, and there was a lot of Blue and Orange. I'm not sure what their turnout was in Phoenix 3 years ago (i.e. whether it was up to snuff and they took all of their allocation or not).

Duvall
11-30-2009, 05:00 PM
If Oregon loses, they are another potential fly in the ointment as they will still be top 14. Fiesta Bowl could potentially snag them instead of a Boise. If the Fiesta Bowl doesn't want Boise St., Boise St. ain't making the dance, I don't think.

Sometimes I wonder how anyone can take big-time college football seriously.

blazindw
11-30-2009, 05:06 PM
You are right about USC. Sugar won't be 'Bama VaTech if 'Bama loses to Florida. They won't do that rematch.

I was at the Poinsettia Bowl last year, though, and there was a lot of Blue and Orange. I'm not sure what their turnout was in Phoenix 3 years ago (i.e. whether it was up to snuff and they took all of their allocation or not).

Forgot about the Bama-Va Tech game. You're right, if Bama's in the Sugar, Va Tech won't be there.

JasonEvans
11-30-2009, 05:18 PM
So, Boise could go undefeated including a convincing win over the Pac 10 champion and not get into any of the BcS bowls?

Now ya'll know why I put the C in lower case to stress the two letters that best define this concoction ;)

--Jason "it would be good if the ACC got 2 teams in as that would mean a lot of extra cash to Duke" Evans

A-Tex Devil
11-30-2009, 05:43 PM
So, Boise could go undefeated including a convincing win over the Pac 10 champion and not get into any of the BcS bowls?

Now ya'll know why I put the C in lower case to stress the two letters that best define this concoction ;)

--Jason "it would be good if the ACC got 2 teams in as that would mean a lot of extra cash to Duke" Evans

I don't **THINK** it will happen so long as Texas wins, but it could. I also don't think the Sugar and the Orange will pick Boise. So that means the Fiesta has to like Boise better than the other options it will have at its disposal.

At the end of the day, the conferences can adjust the pairings.... ref. BCS selection procedure:

After completion of the selection process as described in Paragraph Nos. 1-4, the conferences and Notre Dame may, but are not required to, adjust the pairings, taking into consideration the following:
- Whether the same team will be playing in the same bowl game for two consecutive years; and/or
- Whether two teams that played against one another in the regular season will be paired against one another in a bowl game; and/or
- Whether the same two teams will play against each other in a bowl game for two consecutive years; and/or
- Whether alternative pairings may have greater or lesser appeal to college football fans as measured by expected ticket sales for the bowls and by expected television interest, and the consequent financial impact on Fox and the bowls.

I think the BCS wants to ensure Boise St. makes it -- it's the only thing that makes sense with no 1 loss at large teams -- but there is still a chance they won't even if Texas loses.

brevity
12-01-2009, 12:44 AM
At this point, with big-level college football lacking a playoff and being an embarrassment to humanity, shouldn't we root for TCU and Boise State to play each other in a non-BCS bowl?

A-Tex Devil
12-01-2009, 09:18 AM
At this point, with big-level college football lacking a playoff and being an embarrassment to humanity, shouldn't we root for TCU and Boise State to play each other in a non-BCS bowl?

Already happened last year. I was there. TCU was much much better than Boise, and were pushing them all over the field. But an incompetent OC (who TCU fans were more than happy to see move "up" to Illinois this year) decided he wanted to try and out-gimmick Chris Petersen and staffm and went away from the run, keeping Boise in the game.

hughgs
12-01-2009, 09:38 AM

I think you want to keep the travesty going. And the only way to do that is have as much confusion as possible. So, Boise and TCU should each play big name teams, win convincingly, have the BcS champion be a one-loss team, and then let the BcS explain how fair the system is.

Highlander
12-01-2009, 10:03 AM

BCS - UF/Bama-Texas
Fiesta - PSU/Iowa-Cincy
Sugar - UF/Bama-Va Tech
Orange - GT-TCU

If a 3 loss VT team makes the BCS over an undefeated mid-major regardless of what happens to Alabama, I hope that would be the straw that breaks the back of the BCS, because that would be indefensible IMO.

A-Tex Devil
12-04-2009, 02:46 PM
Another potential road block out of the way for Boise now that Oregon cinched up the Pac Ten.

They are in unless Nebraska beats UT, or if the Sugar Bowl goes for the $$ and picks VaTech with its second pick (and that will only be if it's against Florida).

rthomas
12-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Five undefeated college football teams. I guess the great minds of the BCS don't think Cincinnati, Boise State and TCU deserve a chance.

blazindw
12-06-2009, 04:01 PM
Here's what the projections look like right now (as featured on Sportscenter this morning):

BCS: Bama-Texas
Sugar: Cincy-Florida
Fiesta: TCU-Boise
Rose: Ohio Snake-Oregon
Orange: GT-Iowa

Looks like Boise will in fact get into the BCS. The last at-large is a crapshoot...Penn State and Iowa have 2 losses (as does BYU further down), and Va. Tech, Miami and LSU have 3 losses and are in the Top 14 of either the AP or Coaches. I think it's down to PSU and Iowa though, with Iowa likely getting the bid.

Interesting Note: If the above prediction holds true, the Top 10 teams in the AP poll will be the BCS participants. If Penn State gets the nod instead of Iowa, the Coaches poll will have the BCS teams as the Top 10.

allenmurray
12-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Texas did not win last night - Nebraska lost. Nebraska handed Texas the win on a silver platter. An out-of-bounds kickoff followed by a 15 yeard penalty for a total gain of 35 yeards? Texas got to start their possession on Nebraska's 45. It was the colege football equivilent of calling a time-out in a National Championship basketball game when you have none left. Was Chris Webber coaching Nebraska? Dumb. Nebraska saved the BcS planners' butt.

davekay1971
12-06-2009, 04:43 PM
But with 5 undefeated teams and Texas limping into the championship game with a very unconvincing win, there is plenty of room for complaint (particularly from Cincinatti, undefeated from a BCS conference). If Alabama puts a beat-down on Texas and any of the other undefeated teams has a convincing win, there will be the kind of controversy that all of us BcS haters want.

Acymetric
12-06-2009, 04:59 PM
Here's what the projections look like right now (as featured on Sportscenter this morning):

Looks like Boise will in fact get into the BCS. The last at-large is a crapshoot...Penn State and Iowa have 2 losses (as does BYU further down), and Va. Tech, Miami and LSU have 3 losses and are in the Top 14 of either the AP or Coaches. I think it's down to PSU and Iowa though, with Iowa likely getting the bid.

Interesting Note: If the above prediction holds true, the Top 10 teams in the AP poll will be the BCS participants. If Penn State gets the nod instead of Iowa, the Coaches poll will have the BCS teams as the Top 10.

TCU-Boise is what helps the BCS. I want to see each undefeated play a team from a major conference. Let us see how they stack up against the BCS conferences.

I want the BCS to put its money where its mouth is and SHOW us that TCU, Cincy, and Boise aren't good enough. But they won't, they'll match up TCU and Boise, and one will finish undefeated, but "they only beat Boise (or TCU) in their bowl game, they wouldn't have won against a BCS team" will be the line everybody touts. I want to see how good these BCS teams are compared to an undefeated TCU. Shame it won't happen...I think I'm gonna go watch the real college football postseason instead.

rsvman
12-06-2009, 05:24 PM
But with 5 undefeated teams and Texas limping into the championship game with a very unconvincing win, there is plenty of room for complaint (particularly from Cincinatti, undefeated from a BCS conference). If Alabama puts a beat-down on Texas and any of the other undefeated teams has a convincing win, there will be the kind of controversy that all of us BcS haters want.

Cincinnati all but lost at Pittsburgh.

In my opinion TCU is a much better team than Cincinnati.

A-Tex Devil
12-06-2009, 05:31 PM

I am seeing something different than that, with Iowa-Boise in Fiesta and GaTech-TCU in Orange.

I would be VERY surprised if the Fiesta doesn't protect the need to sell tickets and pick the Big Televen team. TCU-Boise not only happened last year, which will depress ticket sales among those alumni bases, they also couldn't sell out the game if they came en masse. The Fiesta Bowl should know that.

I still posit that if the Fiesta DOES pick TCU or Cincy with its first pick, that the Sugar will pick VaTech and freeze out Boise St. I don't think the Fiest would pick VaTech over Boise, but I have no doubt that the Sugar Bowl would.

It will be a real shame if TCU gets stuck with Boise again. They will do to Boise what they did to Utah and BYU. Book it.

Suh should win the Heisman and its a travesty if he isn't at least invited to NY. He's the most dominant defensive player I've seen in the last five years -- and it's not just last night's game. Ingram wins by default, I guess.

davekay1971
12-06-2009, 05:34 PM
I agree that TCU is probably a better team than Cincy, but my point was that Cincy is from a BCS conference.

In any case, this is the whole point. 5 undefeated teams, two that limped through their last game, two from non-BCS conferences...Alabama and Texas may be the top two teams, but it ain't USC-Texas from a few years back.

rthomas
12-06-2009, 05:51 PM
Cincinnati all but lost at Pittsburgh.

In my opinion TCU is a much better team than Cincinnati.

I can easily say Cincy is better than Alabama, so what. THIS is why we need a playoff.

rthomas
12-06-2009, 05:58 PM
While we are bi$(#ing about the bowls. I (and many others at WVU) am PO'd that WVU is going to play Fla State (if this actually is the plan) in the Billy Bobby Bowl in Jacksonville. WE WANT Virginia Tech (or Miami or Clemson). I guess the rationale is Bowden coached WVU, was hung in effigy after losing to Pitt, fired, and run out of town to FSU.

1. FSU is 6-6 - nothing to lose playing a 9-3 WVU team.
2. Virginia Tec is a natural rival (from the old Big East).
3. Bowden's last game. Who wants to play that game?
4. We are going to have to listen to the Bowden story until Jan 1.

What is the ACC thinking?

rsvman
12-06-2009, 06:22 PM
I can easily say Cincy is better than Alabama, so what. THIS is why we need a playoff.

Absolutely agree.

A-Tex Devil
12-06-2009, 08:04 PM
TCU is going to annihilate Boise in 3/4 full Fiesta Bowl.

Edited to say --- that bowl matchup is a real slap in the face to the non-BCS conferences. Let the little kids play in the Arizona sandbox, I guess.

Acymetric
12-06-2009, 08:09 PM
TCU is going to annihilate Boise in 3/4 full Fiesta Bowl.

Edited to say --- that bowl matchup is a real slap in the face to the non-BCS conferences. Let the little kids play in the Arizona sandbox, I guess.

No kidding. Why would the Fiesta Bowl even want this matchup? First thing the guy on ESPN said is that he would have liked to see each team matched up against BCS teams. Me too...me too.

A-Tex Devil
12-06-2009, 08:22 PM
No kidding. Why would the Fiesta Bowl even want this matchup? First thing the guy on ESPN said is that he would have liked to see each team matched up against BCS teams. Me too...me too.

It's ridiculous on so many levels, I wonder if the BCS manipulated the games to get this matchup (there is a section in the selection procedure that lets the BCS conferences and Notre Dame adjust the matchup).

- TCU and Boise St. have relatively small fan bases. They travel well, but small.
- TCU's and Boise St.'s fans want to play a BCS team and are grossly disappointed by this matchup (my whole family are alumni of TCU, so I hear it first hand) so that may dampen ticket sales.
- And the kicker -- TCU and Boise St. played last year!! Both schools want to see someone new.

It's a glorified Poinsettia Bowl. I just get the feeling this was shoved down the Fiesta Bowl's throat by the BCS conferences.

Acymetric
12-06-2009, 08:25 PM
It's ridiculous on so many levels, I wonder if the BCS manipulated the games to get this matchup (there is a section in the selection procedure that lets the BCS conferences and Notre Dame adjust the matchup).

- TCU and Boise St. have relatively small fan bases. They travel well, but small.
- TCU's and Boise St.'s fans want to play a BCS team and are grossly disappointed by this matchup (my whole family are alumni of TCU, so I hear it first hand) so that may dampen ticket sales.
- And the kicker -- TCU and Boise St. played last year!! Both schools want to see someone new.

It's a glorified Poinsettia Bowl. I just get the feeling this was shoved down the Fiesta Bowl's throat by the BCS conferences.

There are so many reasons this sucks its hard to pick which one is best, but to me that one is the biggest reason why this should NEVER have happened this year! Why the rematch? Really awful. I would honestly consider boycotting watching BCS games this year...too bad not enough people would join me for it to matter.

Wander
12-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Nice quote by Gary Parrish: "So, because Jerry Jones decided to put a railing there instead of 50 feet further back, Texas gets to play for the national title instead of Cincinnati?"

That's further evidence for what I've always said: people complain about the NCAA tournament being prone to flukes, but college football has BY FAR the flukiest way of determining its champion.