PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs UConn

Troublemaker
11-27-2009, 07:44 PM
Who was the MOTM vs Connecticut?

ivydevil
11-27-2009, 07:52 PM
Voted for Scheyer for being so consistent and really going after the ball all over the court (and off!) tonight.

soccerstud2210
11-27-2009, 07:53 PM
LT hands down. 11 and 11. just a beast tonight!

CLW
11-27-2009, 07:58 PM
Scheyer. He handled the UConn pressure defense well; made big shots (including that ridiculous shot after he was fouled falling to the ground); played solid defense.

Really IMO the MOTM could go to just about anyone. Zoubs and Thomas really pounded the glass well.

Dawkins hit some big jumpers and I just don't know how/why K isn't giving him more minutes.

Singler laid an egg in MSG but it was good to see we can win with one of if not our biggest weapon on an off night.

Saratoga2
11-27-2009, 07:59 PM
I thought Scheyer but LT also played a terrific game and he was a close second for the honors in my opinion.

jipops
11-27-2009, 08:01 PM
I wanted to give this to Jon who was the best player on the floor but went to Lance instead. UConn put some very athletic front court players on the floor and Lance out fought them all for a double-double and saved us with multiple possessions in one trip down the floor. Huge props to Zoubek for his double digit rebound performance as well.

I hope some give Nolan some votes as well.

camion
11-27-2009, 08:01 PM
I voted for Sheyer, but LT was close behind for me. Actually I would have chosen the "TEAM" button if we had one. We kept UConn in a half court game most of the time and they couldn't do much with it. Good, if obvious, game plan and very good execution by everyone. It's one thing to say you want to keep the other guys from running; it's quite another to actually do it. We did it.

duke09hms
11-27-2009, 08:10 PM
LT wins the MOTM for me tonight - a double-double (the good kind) against UConn is amazing considering their always imposing frontcourt.

Hope to God this is not the game of his life, but the first of many great games with controlled aggression.

ncexnyc
11-27-2009, 08:11 PM
I believe this is the kind of game we were expecting from Lance all year. I hope he can keep this going as we need his energy.

Jarhead
11-27-2009, 08:16 PM
I was leaning toward Scheyer, but his complimentary comments, in an after game interview, called it for Lance who also had a double-double, so that's the way I voted. I love run-on sentences.

-jk
11-27-2009, 08:58 PM
If ESPN's stats are to be believed, Zoub was our second leading assist man today.

-jk

jpfrizzle
11-27-2009, 09:16 PM
Thomas with a double-double, against UConn?! Hands down MOTM!:eek:

Heelkiller1
11-27-2009, 09:24 PM
Lance all the way baby...:cool:

OldSchool
11-27-2009, 09:24 PM
I voted for Lance.

Jon was the best basketball player on the floor tonight. He played cool and smart and aggressive basketball and simply controlled the game at critical moments.

However, Lance was the fire that burned under Duke tonight. Lance just outfought UConn, and was tougher than they were. The theme set by Lance was picked up by Zoubs and Miles as well. The story of the game was told in the struggle for possession of the ball under the boards, and Duke won through superior determination. Lance got in their heads, and their frustation was evidenced by cheap shots and an intentional foul.

This loss must be especially galling to Calhoun because Duke won this game with toughness, pure and simple, and Calhoun fancies himself as a tough guy.

Heelkiller1
11-27-2009, 09:29 PM
I did vote for Lance but Zoub had a solid game as well.

jv001
11-27-2009, 09:44 PM
Probably was Jon, but I had to vote for Lance. He played one heck of a game against a physical team. Been waiting for that LT. Go Duke!

COYS
11-27-2009, 10:01 PM
Hands down it was Jon for me. This was exactly the type of guard matchup that was supposed to "expose" Jon as a fraud as a point guard. Instead he was the best player on the court, today. He handled the physicality of the game so well, protected the ball, and made countless numbers of little plays. Anyone watch him guarding off the ball, today? He's always stellar, but today may have been one of his best games, ever. He made sure to bump his man out of his comfort zone whenever possible, never was caught unawares by a backscreen, forced his man to his weak hand whenever possible . . . it was a thing of beauty. Lance had one of his best games in a Duke uniform and was at the core of our outstanding rebounding and defensive effort, but Jon proved himself as one of the best in the country, tonight. Too bad he can't throw down a nasty dunk on the break. He'd be voted onto everyone's All American 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team for sure, otherwise.

Newton_14
11-27-2009, 10:17 PM
After much debate I voted for Jon. He drove the bus as usual and had once again a stellar floor game while also leading the team in scoring. He is just one of the best players in the country and he showed it on the biggest stage tonight.

But like others, I have to give a shout out to Lance. We do not win this game without his play out there tonight. He was simply a warrior in what was an absolute war. And he finally had stats needed to get people to notice. My favorite play of the whole game was in the 2nd half. He caught a pass right in front of the Duke bench and drove hard into the middle of the lane, made a beautiful pumpfake and baited Michael Schofield from Prison Break into the foul. Just a great play!

Seriously for those of you that watched Prison Break, does that kid from Ucon not look just like Michael?? uncanny..

Way to go Jon, Way to go Lance, and Way to go Duke!! Awesome Win!

wallyman
11-27-2009, 10:20 PM
Jon was great, but Lance was a revelation. If he can play like that regularly, we will be very tough for anyone to beat.:)

Bob Green
11-27-2009, 10:31 PM
If ESPN's stats are to be believed, Zoub was our second leading assist man today.

-jk

The stats at GoDuke.com say the same. Scheyer led the team with 5 assists and Zoubek was second with 3 assists.

I voted for Lance Thomas as MOTM because he played with passion and recorded a double-double. He also had 3 blocks and a steal with only one turnover.

stickdog
11-27-2009, 10:50 PM
How is it that Zoubek only had one vote before me?

Duke's three best players, IMHO, were Zoubek, Thomas and Dawkins.

cwaugh
11-27-2009, 11:10 PM
How is it that Zoubek only had one vote before me?

Duke's three best players, IMHO, were Zoubek, Thomas and Dawkins.

I would have voted for Zoubek if he could have finished around the rim tonight. A couple lucky roles and hes the MOTM.

HaveFunExpectToWin
11-27-2009, 11:17 PM
Lance is well on his way to graduate from the Nate James School of Badass-ery.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-27-2009, 11:25 PM
Lance. He did it the old fashioned way. He earned it! :cool:

ice-9
11-28-2009, 12:33 AM
Scheyer is the technical MOTM but Lance is the spiritual one.

tele
11-28-2009, 12:40 AM
Lance is well on his way to graduate from the Nate James School of Badass-ery.

Are you then ready to say, for instance, "Lance is a badass?"

He got my vote.

BlueDevilCorvette!
11-28-2009, 03:04 AM
Had to vote for Lance. That guy has a Corvette engine inside him...just a pure hustle machine tonight!

ReformedAggie
11-28-2009, 10:18 AM
:)Voted for Jon, but I'm loving Dawkins and Thomas. I hope it is difficult to choose after each game because all play so well

dukestheheat
11-28-2009, 10:43 AM
I went with Jon on this one. He hit a couple circus shots, kept the turnovers way low, and got injured! Plus, he comes out before the game and states 'I love to play in the big games'. So, mentally, he was 'in' this game! He came ready to play, and that made the difference for Duke. Many very good efforts for Duke from the other players but Jon wins this on the overall package, imo.

dth.

weezie
11-28-2009, 04:15 PM
:)Voted for Jon, but I'm loving Dawkins

Dawkins is a fabulous addition. He's got that dead-eye shooter look....
He's going to be really fun to watch!

COYS
11-28-2009, 06:00 PM
Dawkins is a fabulous addition. He's got that dead-eye shooter look....
He's going to be really fun to watch!

And such a quick release. He also has a quick first step even if his overall ballhandling isn't yet up to snuff. Luckily, he seems to be fully aware of that fact and is more than content to shoot the three or shot fake, take one or two dribbles, and pull up again for a jumper or a floater. He's got nice elevation on his jumpers inside the arc, as well. As his handle gets better, he will become a very dangerous weapon for Duke.