PDA

View Full Version : Charting Duke vs. Arizona State

Jumbo
11-27-2009, 12:28 AM
I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. Not much to say about the game the other night, especially since it was so easy to log with three guys going the full 40 minutes. Duke played fairly well with smaller lineups, which is something to think about later in the season when Mason Plumlee is back, as a Scheyer-Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Mason lineup could be a strong way to finish games. Anyway, on to the numbers ...

Individuals
Jon Scheyer 64-53 (+11)
Nolan Smith 64-53 (+11)
Kyle Singler 64-53 (+11)
Andre Dawkins 32-24 (+8)
Lance Thomas 34-27 (+7)
Miles Plumlee 27-23 (+4)
Brian Zoubek 29-27 (+2)
Ryan Kelly 6-5 (+1)

Per 40 Minutes
Andre Dawkins +18.8
Lance Thomas +12.2
Jon Scheyer +11
Nolan Smith +11
Kyle Singler +11
Miles Plumlee +8.9
Ryan Kelly +8
Brian Zoubek +4.7

Lineups
Scheyer-Smith-Singler-Thomas-Zoubek (x3) 12-7 (+5)
Scheyer-Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Kelly (x2) 6-2 (+4)
Scheyer-Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Miles 7-4 (+3)
Scheyer-Smith-Singler-Thomas-Miles (x4) 20-19 (+1)
Scheyer-Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Thomas 2-1 (+1)
Scheyer-Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Zoubek (x3) 17-17 (+0)
Scheyer-Smith-Singler-Kelly-Zoubek 0-3 (-3)

CDu
11-27-2009, 11:51 AM
On a sample size so small as a 12-7 count, I'd say a LOT of it is coincidence. You simply shouldn't try to read too much into in-game +/- for various lineups. The sample size is too small, you don't have enough information about who was on the floor for the opponent, and too much randomness can happen in terms of point scoring.

It's questionable enough to try to glean anything meaningful from the +/- for a single player for any given game, let alone for an entire lineup (which occurs for much less time during a game).

I'm saying that not to say one way or the other whether Zoubek played well or not. I think you both are reading more into Zoubek's numbers (both positive and negative) than should be done.

Edit: hmm, the two posts to which my post was in response are now gone. This was not a response to Jumbo's post. Nevermind.