PDA

View Full Version : Heroes - 4/30/07

Udaman
04-30-2007, 10:46 PM
As bad as I found last week's episode....this one was the polar opposite. Just an amazing hour...in my opinion. Well written, well acted, and answered a great number of questions. Even though many of the twists were easy to see coming...I still really enjoyed. The best episode to date, and there have been some pretty good eps this year.

Maybe this show will do OK after all. I do worry where they will go after this year...but tonight's episode gives me hope.

mkirsh
04-30-2007, 11:04 PM
Awesome episode until...my @*#!ing dvr cut off as Peter and Syler were starting to fight - what happened next?!?

devildm
04-30-2007, 11:08 PM
Agreed. Although I am in the minority and actually enjoyed last weeks episode, I found this episode much, much better. I like this Peter better than the normal Peter. I still want to know how he got his scar? Call me gullible, but I did not see the twist regarding President Petrelli coming. Anyway, I hope that they use this episode to finish the season up strong and finish tying up some of the loose ends that people have been questioning.

devildm

billybreen
04-30-2007, 11:47 PM
That episode was amazing. I love dystopian, post-apocalyptic parallel universes, so this was a perfect storm situation for me. I also came full circle on Peter with this one -- he has annoyed me for much of the season, but I submit. Peter is the man.

Can't wait for the last 3. What a great show. It's easily my favorite thing on TV now that Friday Night Lights is done for the season.

Also, add me to the camp that didn't mind last week's episode, but it was of course nothing compared to this one.

JDSBlueDevl
05-01-2007, 12:33 AM
Well, I guess I should have seen the twist regarding Nathan coming (the hint came at the end of last week's episode).

*******SPOILER ALERT***************

Kinda interesting, though, why it's Sylar who needs to be killed. Is it b/c he kills Ted, attempts to use his radioactivity, then Peter absorbs the power and magnifies it? Because Peter is still the bomb.

billybreen
05-01-2007, 01:21 AM
*******SPOILER ALERT***************
Kinda interesting, though, why it's Sylar who needs to be killed. Is it b/c he kills Ted, attempts to use his radioactivity, then Peter absorbs the power and magnifies it? Because Peter is still the bomb.

I don't know -- If Syler has already brained Mirage-woman and Nathan by that time, the "Peter is the bomb" theory could be part of his cover-up. I think it's quite possible that either Ted or Syler blows everything up, Peter is knocked out (and scarred) during or before that, and Nathan/Syler fed Peter the story that he is still the bomb as part of the keep-Peter-quiet ruse.

JasonEvans
05-01-2007, 09:07 AM
Well, I guess I should have seen the twist regarding Nathan coming (the hint came at the end of last week's episode).

I don't recall that hint. What was it?

Well, as soon as Peter and Ted meet it will become possible for Peter to be the bomb.

I am not sure Sylar needs to be killed to stop the bomb. We have now learned that Peter is the bomb. Sylar may want the bomb to go off to feed his own crazniess but now that we know he is not the source of it he is not essential to it happening.

I wonder why Peter doesn't just get the heck out of New York though. I guess that would be too easy.

-Jason "I agree good episde... more comments in a moment" Evans

JasonEvans
05-01-2007, 09:14 AM
Awesome episode until...my @*#!ing dvr cut off as Peter and Syler were starting to fight - what happened next?!?

We did not get to see their entire fight. We saw flashes coming from the hallway as Peter used fire to fight Sylar's ice but we could not see what else was happening. Frankly, the fire vs ice thing is soooo X3, I am glad they stopped showing us what was happening.

Evil-Parkman and his henchmen are trying to get into the room. Mohinder is holding the doorway yelling to Hiro and Ando to get back to the present. hiro keeps saying "I can't control it" and then Ando says, "I beleive in you" and they teleport back to present-day New York.

Episode over.

One thing I have mentioned for a while. Peter (once he has been near Hiro) and Hiro should be unstoppable in a fight. As soon as Sylar glares at them, they just freeze time and go over and kill Sylar. Fight over. The ability to freeze time is far and away the most powerful power. It is not even close. Then again, Hiro has trouble controlling time and in the previews for next week we see Sylar resisting the time-freeze. That could be a nice touch.

-Jason "I am with everyone in liking the angry Peter a lot more than the nice Peter-- his powers kicked !#^@!^ too!" Evans

Highlander
05-01-2007, 09:19 AM
...I am not sure Sylar needs to be killed to stop the bomb. We have now learned that Peter is the bomb. Sylar may want the bomb to go off to feed his own crazniess but now that we know he is not the source of it he is not essential to it happening.

Not neccessarily. If Sylar has the ability to "be" anyone, I think it is just as plausible that he appears to be Peter in order to keep him quiet.

Oh, and the hint at the end of last episode was Sylar painting himself in the white house.

Udaman
05-01-2007, 09:39 AM
Some of us really don't like watching the previews (call it spoiler free). If you are going to comment about next week's previews - please write something like....(SPOILER ON PREVIEWS).

Thanks!

But agreed that Bad Peter is awesome. Syler can't die this year....he's too good a bad guy. Plus, keeping him alive makes Year 2 all about killing him.

JasonEvans
05-01-2007, 10:29 AM
More thoughts--

Firstly, I feel that a great deal was answered and much of it renewed my faith in the overall storyline. After seeming like they were making stuff up as they went along, this episode steered us back to a story that makes sense.

Now we know why saving Claire did not save the world. Turns out she was always saved -- future Hiro just thought she had been killed by Sylar. So, saving her was not the answer. Of course, that means we need to know why Sylar did not die when future Hiro stabbed him. Truth be told, there is a lot we still need to figure out to know how to save the world/stop the bomb.

I would like to see more of why Parkman and the Haitian began working against their people, though I imagine this storyline will just be dropped.

Did Hiro see/figure out that Sylar is going to try to replace Nathan? I would like to see us continue down that path as it could be interesting.

--Jason "again, this answered a ton about what future-Hiro has been doing and why things have not gone as he thought they would-- best storytelling we've seen on Heroes in a while" Evans

Udaman
05-01-2007, 10:39 AM
My assumptions on the timelines are this:

Timeline 1: Syler kills Claire. Gets her power. Hiro tries to kill Syler, but he can't be killed and ends up blowing up NY City (and surviving) and then creates havoc all over. Hence the end of the world as we know it. So Hiro decides to go back in time and meets Peter on the train. This creates....

Timeline 2: This is the future we saw last night. Peter saves the cheerleader and Syler doesn't get her power. But New York still blows up. Only it is Peter this time who does it, and somehow Syler still lives (this is the part that confuses me because in this future...Syler should have been killed by Hiro, unless somehow he never fights him...it is the one gap that isn't really explained). Nonetheless, Syler lives and kills Nathan and becomes president. But future realizes that killing Syler is what must be done, and he tells past Hiro this who goes back to...

Timeline 3: Where the show will go from here. Hiro must somehow kill Syler.

Again, I hope this doesn't happen this year, because Syler rocks. My prediction - the bomb still goes off. Guess we'll see. 3 more episodes.

Exiled_Devil
05-01-2007, 10:53 AM
Oh, and the hint at the end of last episode was Sylar painting himself in the white house.

I said last week that it was just that Sylar painted poorly, not him in the white house.

And I said the Haitan doesn't cancel powers. Wrong again.

I also said that Peter can't dream the future, so his dream of being the bomb must wrong. My guess is that I am wrong there, too.

At this point, I am going to assume that any and all predictions I have or will make are wrong. Please ignore the following:

We still don't know how Peter got a scar. this seems odd to me, because he saved Claire in this future-2, so should be able to heal. Presumably that is how he will explode and regenerate.

I wonder if we had some hints as to who may die at the end of the season during this episode. Conspicuously missing people:

Micah
DL (killed by Sylar b/c Sylar used his power)
Jessica (really intersting, I still don't get her power)
Nathan (killed by Sylar)
Candace (shape change girl, killed by Sylar)
Radio active man (no evidence of death, just missing)
Lindeman (curiously missing, but with a law named after him)

I think that Hiro and Ando are safe, despite Ando's predicted death in the future. Peter is evidently safe, and Claire is obviously safe - Hayden is the face of the show in the non-fanboy world. Besides, she can regenerate.

I have to agree with Jason that Hiro and Peter are extremely powerful and sometimes they play them very dumb. For example, if the Haitian negates your power, why not teleport into the perimeter of his power somewhere besides the front door of the office? Say on the same floor, but in a non-obvious spot? And when Hiro is shot, Peter would have been able to stop time as soon as he heard the shots - before the bullets it Hiro. (Incidentally, Peter evidently never meets Lindeman, because he can't heal Hiro)

There are still some lingering issues, still not a flawless show, but this episode shows to me that the writers have had clear plot lines in mind for some of the main characters. The season has been going along according to a plan, and that makes me feel better. Between Heroes and Lost, I have two nights week missing from my regular life now.

Exiled

Udaman
05-01-2007, 10:56 AM
Go to

http://www.nbc.com/Heroes/novels/index.shtml?novel=30

And the comic book basically says just what I did. Future Hiro tried to kill Syler but he couldn't because Syler had killed Claire.

So he went back and warned Peter....but when he went back nothing had changed, and past Hiro was up in the loft....

So again, my only question is in Timeline 2 (where Peter did save the Chearleader), why is Syler still alive? Obviously the bomb went off because it was Peter exploding (something Hiro did not know), but if Syler did not have regeneration capabilities, how does he live when Hiro stabs him? Somehow that didn't happen in Timeline 2. But Hiro goes back to Timeline 3 to make sure it does.

Clipsfan
05-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Go to

http://www.nbc.com/Heroes/novels/index.shtml?novel=30

And the comic book basically says just what I did. Future Hiro tried to kill Syler but he couldn't because Syler had killed Claire.

So he went back and warned Peter....but when he went back nothing had changed, and past Hiro was up in the loft....

So again, my only question is in Timeline 2 (where Peter did save the Chearleader), why is Syler still alive? Obviously the bomb went off because it was Peter exploding (something Hiro did not know), but if Syler did not have regeneration capabilities, how does he live when Hiro stabs him? Somehow that didn't happen in Timeline 2. But Hiro goes back to Timeline 3 to make sure it does.

You're raising what was my biggest issue with the episode, ie that both Sylar and Claire were alive after the bomb went off. The way that the show presented things, I only see two time lines. There is the timeline where the bomb goes off, and there is the timeline which I think of as the "present", where Hiro came back and warned Peter. There are only two Hiros, and only those two time lines. Now, in the first timeline, the one in which the bomb went off, the older Hiro states that he stabbed Sylar but that Sylar healed himself due to having killed Claire. Now, how is Claire still alive in that timeline?

Other than the fact that the show often doesn't make any sense (I don't think they're all that good at handling the issues time travel can create), I haven't seen anything to suggest that the writers intend for there to be even more time lines. Am I missing something?

mkirsh
05-01-2007, 03:59 PM
I see 4 possble ways Hiro could have stabbed Sylar and seen Sylar regenerate:

1. Hiro stabbed the person who was the bomb, and he assumed that this person was Sylar but was actually Peter

2. Sylar kills Lindeman before the bomb goes off and takes his ability to heal and uses it on himself

3. There are more than 2 timelines, or 1 timeline that morphs when Hiro changes past events

4. Continuity error

Not sure which one is most likely, but I hope it is #1 or 2 as those are the least risky for the show.

Highlander
05-01-2007, 04:16 PM
You're raising what was my biggest issue with the episode, ie that both Sylar and Claire were alive after the bomb went off. The way that the show presented things, I only see two time lines. There is the timeline where the bomb goes off, and there is the timeline which I think of as the "present", where Hiro came back and warned Peter. There are only two Hiros, and only those two time lines. Now, in the first timeline, the one in which the bomb went off, the older Hiro states that he stabbed Sylar but that Sylar healed himself due to having killed Claire. Now, how is Claire still alive in that timeline?

I see two explanations. Either this is "Back to the Future" rules, where there are timelines running in parallel, and once you change something the old timeline ceases to exist, and your previous experience on the old timeline exist only in memories. Alternatively, this is "Butterfly Effect" rules, where when you change something, your old memories are overwritten with what actually happened in the past.

Future Hiro returned to his own time and nothing changed, so he assumed that Peter failed to save Claire. Given that he still remembers stabbing Syler on some alternative timeline, he still thinks that event happened, so it sounds more "BTTF" than "BE" to me. It could be that he is incapable of changing his present, but can only affect other timelines in the past.

My head hurts. I agree with Jason. Time travel creates serious continuity problems, especially when the rules are not clear.

If you want another mind bender, try to count how many Delorians were in Hill Valley on the night of the lightening storm. My guess is below:
I came up with 4
1) Marty's from part 1
2) Old Biff from the future
3) Marty and Doc following old Biff
4) The one Doc hid in the cave.

Weks
05-01-2007, 11:19 PM
should represent a major advantage v. Sylar, should he ever realize what he can do...

Conversely, it will be of the utmost importance to keep the Hatian's brain securely locked in his skull...

JasonEvans
05-02-2007, 12:42 AM
should represent a major advantage v. Sylar, should he ever realize what he can do...

Conversely, it will be of the utmost importance to keep the Hatian's brain securely locked in his skull...

I would argue that Sylar could not absorb the Haitian's ability nor could Peter. The Haitian's power causes other powers to be supressed around him. Therefore Peter could not abosrob his power and Sylar could not either. Eating the Haitian's brain would do nothing more for Sylar than it would for me if I ate the Haitian's brain (eeeeeeww!). Around the Haitian, all the "Heroes" are just normal people.

Did we ever seen the Haitian around future-President Sylar/Nathan? If so, Sylar should have been revealed around him.

There are massive continuity errors on this show, I think, but they are doing their best to deal with them. Time travel and some of this other stuff is really difficult to weave ito the story cohesively.

-Jason "I still say Hiro's power trumps everyone else's and the show has not made him powerful enough" Evans

Weks
05-02-2007, 08:37 AM
about the only hero we know about who is "on" at all times?
With the arguable exception of Claire, most everyone else seems to have some degree of conscious control over directing their powers. And, the fact that when the Hatian went down to Mohinder's neck-syringe, his shields droppped would argue that there's at least some conscious component to his ability. Futhermore, we know the Hatian has some discretionary power, via his ability to take some memories, and not others...

JasonEvans
05-02-2007, 09:54 AM
about the only hero we know about who is "on" at all times?
With the arguable exception of Claire, most everyone else seems to have some degree of conscious control over directing their powers. And, the fact that when the Hatian went down to Mohinder's neck-syringe, his shields droppped would argue that there's at least some conscious component to his ability. Futhermore, we know the Hatian has some discretionary power, via his ability to take some memories, and not others...

Peter's ability is "on" at all times. That is how he got the healing power from Claire without even knowing he could absorb other people's powers. I think many of the abilities are "on" all the time, the hero just is not using them at that moment.

Think of it like walking-- you have the ability to walk all the time even when you are not walking. You do not need to "turn on" your ability to walk, you just start walking when you want to walk.

The vast majority of the powers we have seen are physical in nature-- like walking. I would argue that the Haitian dampens the powers of other heroes subconsciously.

-Jason "I am just guessing, but that is my theory" Evans

JasonEvans
05-02-2007, 09:57 AM
Peter's ability is "on" at all times. That is how he got the healing power from Claire without even knowing he could absorb other people's powers. I think many of the abilities are "on" all the time, the hero just is not using them at that moment.

Think of it like walking-- you have the ability to walk all the time even when you are not walking. You do not need to "turn on" your ability to walk, you just start walking when you want to walk.

The vast majority of the powers we have seen are physical in nature-- like walking. I would argue that the Haitian dampens the powers of other heroes subconsciously.

-Jason "I am just guessing, but that is my theory" Evans

Wait... I just realized I am wrong. The Haitian must focus his power to dampen other people's powers. It is not automatic. I just remembered that he is in the room with Parkman when Matt is trying to read the thoughts of present-day Hiro. Clearly, the Haitian is supressing Hiro's ability to wrap time while not supressing Parkman's ability to read minds.

Wow-- this does make the Haitian a very important and powerful character if used properly.

Of course, based on the holes in the writing/story we have seen in the past, he won't be used properly. He is a side character to the writers-- which is a pity.

-Jason "I still cannot figure out why the Haitian was on the government's side in the future" Evans

TheGodfather
05-02-2007, 05:59 PM

1. Hiro stabbed the person who was the bomb, and he assumed that this person was Sylar but was actually Peter

2. Sylar kills Lindeman before the bomb goes off and takes his ability to heal and uses it on himself

3. There are more than 2 timelines, or 1 timeline that morphs when Hiro changes past events

4. Continuity error

Not sure which one is most likely, but I hope it is #1 or 2 as those are the least risky for the show.

Hiro may very well have stabed Sylar in both timelines. But even without Claire's regenerative powers Sylar has been shot at close range and survived and was able to appear completely dead to the Primatech people while still alive.

Sylar has murdered more Heroes than we've seen. All of his powers have not yet been established. The examinations run by the Company while in captivity were unable to discover all his abilities.

How exactly to kill Sylar hasn't been determined. Isaac thinks he figured it out just before Sylar killed him but the other Heroes haven't gotten the message yet.

-Jason "I still cannot figure out why the Haitian was on the government's side in the future" Evans

The Haitian was raised working against people like himself. Once he left the Company he trusted Mama Petrelli. There's no reason why he wouldn't trust Nathan Petrelli.

Exiled_Devil
05-02-2007, 07:32 PM

4. Continuity error

My guess is that future Hiro stabbed Peter by mistake.

I am not entirely concerned about the time travel issues, because they have yet to show all of the critical times yet. The one thing that is more dangerous than time travel for good writing is that so far, all of Isaac's paintings have depicted a real future event. If that is true, it would seem that Nathan will be in the Oval office, and so will Sylar (but neither will necessarily be president.)

Exiled

JasonEvans
05-02-2007, 09:45 PM
The one thing that is more dangerous than time travel for good writing is that so far, all of Isaac's paintings have depicted a real future event. If that is true, it would seem that Nathan will be in the Oval office, and so will Sylar (but neither will necessarily be president.)

Didn't Issac paint some stuff of Claire that never came true? Didn't he paint her dead at the hands of Sylar? I forget.

The real test of Issac's paintings will be the season finale. If they blow up New York then his paintings always depict what will happen. If something stops the city from being destroyed then the future can be changed. I am betting that "the bomb" does not nuke everyone in New York as we have seen what that future turns into and the show does not want to go in that direction.

-Jason "for the love of !#^@^, will someone just tell Peter and Ted to stay out of New York for a few days?" Evans

Highlander
05-03-2007, 12:20 AM
How exactly to kill Sylar hasn't been determined. Isaac thinks he figured it out just before Sylar killed him but the other Heroes haven't gotten the message yet.

Just a hunch, but I bet it has something to do with the unfinished comic book that Mohinder found in the future. It wasn't the last one that Isaac published, because Hiro already read that one, so I'm guessing it is a new one. I also think Hiro will use it to figure out how to kill Sylar.

Would be nice for Isaac to get one last "F U" to his killer from beyond the grave. Then his character would have at least been good for something other than foreshadowing.